PDA

View Full Version : EKU at WKU

Killtoppers90
September 10th, 2005, 07:17 PM
WKU is up 10-0 at the end of the 1st Quarter.

Killtoppers90
September 10th, 2005, 07:23 PM
WKU 17-0 with 6:25 to go in the 2nd Quarter.

blackfordpu
September 10th, 2005, 07:38 PM
I thought this was going to be a close game. Is WKU outplaying EKU that much or are there a lot of mistakes?

Killtoppers90
September 10th, 2005, 07:45 PM
WKU 17 EKU 7 end of half! No Idea....I am getting updates from ESPN. For some reason, I am having issue with the internet broadcast.

Killtoppers90
September 10th, 2005, 08:42 PM
EKU is clawing back at the beginning of the 4th. WKU - 20 EKU - 14.

Killtoppers90
September 10th, 2005, 08:45 PM
From what I hear, WKU has 2 starting LBers injured. Doesn't sound great for the Tops! Brandon Smith didn't return from the half and neither did the other one, Sam Sexton.

Killtoppers90
September 10th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Finally got the broadcast working and sounds like Grieco is lighting up the Toppers DB's. EKU takes the lead 21-20 with 11:42 to go in the game.

Killtoppers90
September 10th, 2005, 08:55 PM
EKU picks off Haddix at their own 24. Toppers D needs to step up here!

Killtoppers90
September 10th, 2005, 09:00 PM
WKU replaces the entire D line and stops a second down run. But Grieco has ALL DAY to throw and get the first down!

Killtoppers90
September 10th, 2005, 09:06 PM
WKU gets a lucky break....Grieco throws a first down pass but the WR loses the ball. 3:44 remains and WKU has to go the length of the field to score. Stay tuned folks!!

Killtoppers90
September 10th, 2005, 09:10 PM
WKU has to punt it back to Eastern. Time is running out on the Toppers. WKU is trying to use the clock to gt the ball back with 2:08 to go.

Killtoppers90
September 10th, 2005, 09:14 PM
WKU forces a forth down. Bad snap on the punt WKU has the ball on EKU 40 yard line. COME ON TOPPERS!!

Killtoppers90
September 10th, 2005, 09:17 PM
:03 to go. WKU has the ball on our own 10...WKU to tries a FG to win!

blur2005
September 10th, 2005, 09:19 PM
What happened?!!!

blackfordpu
September 10th, 2005, 09:19 PM
What happened, what happened?

thirdgendin
September 10th, 2005, 09:20 PM
:03 to go. WKU has the ball on our own 10...WKU to tries a FG to win!

A 107-yard FG attempt?

Killtoppers90
September 10th, 2005, 09:20 PM
YES!!!!! IT IS GOOD!!!!!!! WESTERN WINS!!!!
HILLTOPPERS 23 EKU 21

blur2005
September 10th, 2005, 09:21 PM
A 107-yard FG attempt?
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

Killtoppers90
September 10th, 2005, 09:21 PM
WKU was on the EKU 10. Sorry about that!!!

blur2005
September 10th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Wow. I was hoping the whole top 5 would lose. Looks like Western is my numero uno next week...At least maybe. I really don't know actually.

Killtoppers90
September 10th, 2005, 09:25 PM
I hope we are not #1.......WAY too much pressure for the upcoming Gateway competition. SIU won tonight too. can't we put THEM at #1? Please?

rabidsaluki
September 10th, 2005, 10:04 PM
I hope we are not #1.......WAY too much pressure for the upcoming Gateway competition. SIU won tonight too. can't we put THEM at #1? Please?

SIU #1?!

In a word - No...

Montana will probably be #1 with SIU #2, JMU - 3, WKU somewhere around 4-5

Killtoppers90
September 10th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Well I'd rather you be #1 than us, especially during conference time! :)

ChickenMan
September 10th, 2005, 10:22 PM
SIU #1?!

In a word - No...

Montana will probably be #1 with SIU #2, JMU - 3, WKU somewhere around 4-5

JMU won't be as high as #3...

Killtoppers90
September 10th, 2005, 10:23 PM
I cannot wiat to hear Ralph's take on the game tonight! It will be interesting to get a impartial opinion on both squads.

galojay
September 10th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Wow. I was hoping the whole top 5 would lose. Looks like Western is my numero uno next week...At least maybe. I really don't know actually.

WKU is NOT #1. WKU is VERY LUCKY. EKU Had this game, their QB was open all night, couldn't miss a pass. WKU has some work to do on defense.

Killtoppers90
September 10th, 2005, 10:38 PM
And on O there too Jay!

skinny_uncle
September 10th, 2005, 10:46 PM
If the Salukis win next week, I would consider them a worthy #1. Right now they are 2-0 but have not beaten anyone significant. A win over a D-1 is way overdue for the Dawgs. I would love to see it happen.
:twocents:

Toppermaniac
September 10th, 2005, 11:25 PM
I attended the game, as I always do. It was a thrilling game, but quite simple actually. WKU dominated the first half in every way possible. The Tops were up 17-0 with approximately 4:00 to go in the half and the coaching staff lost its mind. EKU had not been able to move the ball at all against WKU's defense up until that point. WKU had the ball at their own 20 with a little more than 4:00 to go in the half and on second down they ran a toss, of all things, to one of their backs. The ball was fumbled and EKU eventually scored their first points by only having to go about 10 yards. Really stupid play calling. No way you run a toss when you're deep in your own territory late in the half when you've been dominating the opposition. We had some injury problems in the second half and EKU really turned up the volume. EKU played an inspired second half and WKU's offensive and defensive lines were dominated. The poor offensive play-calling continued for WKU in the second half. In the first half, WKU could throw at will against EKU, but they continually tried to run the ball. I know the ground game is our bread and butter, but EKU was laying in wait. At any rate, we got lucky and won the game. WKU actually out gained EKU, but was badly outplayed in the second half. Sometimes you have to be lucky and have a scare to bring out the best. Hope this spurs the Toppers on.

EKUColonel
September 11th, 2005, 01:24 AM
I just got back to Richmond from this game...and all I can say is I have never been more heartbroken in my life. All we had to do is punt the ball and we could have held Western out of feild goal range, and we couldn't do it. I have never wanted anything more in my life than for Western to miss that last second feild goal.

EKU played their hearts out in the second half. I have never seen Josh Greco play so good in my life. He was unstoppable in the second half. You couldn't have asked for more from the offense or defense. Just one Special Teams mishap cost us the game.

Since we play NC St. next week I guess we will be off to 0-3 again this year, but don't let that fool anyone EKU has a real soild team that plays with a lot of hart. Watch out JSU, you are going to have your hands full in the OVC this year.

Grande Rosso
September 11th, 2005, 01:33 AM
EKU looked very good after the first quarter. The EKU O-line was blowing the WKU D-line off the ball EVERY play. I don't think WKU touched Greco all night and his passes were dead-on. Very much improved since last year.

If Ralston hadn't dropped 5 or 6, it might have been a different outcome. The other wide-out (Green?) was tough!

ekufbfan
September 11th, 2005, 07:55 AM
1. Woulda, shoulda , coulda DOES NOT win games! We continue to shoot ourselves in the foot. We need to find a way to win, not lose!
The mark of Roy Kidd coached team, WE FOUND A WAY TO WIN!!!!!

2. Those wku fans who continue to post on the EKU board and on HH (where they love hearing the sound of only their own). Yes, you WERE lucky to win the game, however, all that counts in the record book is that you won! But, I am sick of hearing about how bad your guys played. Step up and give credit where it is due, we earned evey first down we made and Greico played a great game. It had nothing to do with poor play on wku's behalf. Also, don't be using the excuse of injured linebackers. Last year Grecio was put out there after our starting QB was injured. Had Guice played it would have been a different outcome...but then again there's that woulda, coulda, shoulda.....

3. Your announcer is bush league. It reminds me of Murray State. The announcing of the game over the PA should be neutral... the cheering he did from beginning to end shows me wku hasn't got it yet when it comes to putting on a class show in football!

4. IF you guys are truly #6 (or whatever) team in IAA, then you are overrated or we certainly should be in the top 20!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. I am hugely disappointed in the outcome of last night's game .There are no moral victories as far as I am concerned and I am sick of woulda, shoulda, coulda. But I do know this series must continue. You guys ONLY fill your stadium when EKU comes to town. I was dsicussing this with some wku fans at halftime and they said the same thing!!!!

GO BIG E! We play NC State next week, (would love to see a win, but realistically NC State is a very good IA team), so it is off to another horrible start. We need the OVC Championship to make the playoffs. So GO COLONELS and GET-R-Dunn!!!!

galojay
September 11th, 2005, 10:23 AM
I don't disagree.. no one has taken away anything from EKU. I think everyone has said EKU was the better team and that you all did a great job finding out weakness and using it.

As for the announcer, some things do annoy me about him, but I don't think he should be monotone nutural. I go to NFL games and the announcers are always for the home team.... doesn't get any more big time than that.

Toppermaniac
September 11th, 2005, 11:07 AM
1. Woulda, shoulda , coulda DOES NOT win games! We continue to shoot ourselves in the foot. We need to find a way to win, not lose!
The mark of Roy Kidd coached team, WE FOUND A WAY TO WIN!!!!!

2. Those wku fans who continue to post on the EKU board and on HH (where they love hearing the sound of only their own). Yes, you WERE lucky to win the game, however, all that counts in the record book is that you won! But, I am sick of hearing about how bad your guys played. Step up and give credit where it is due, we earned evey first down we made and Greico played a great game. It had nothing to do with poor play on wku's behalf. Also, don't be using the excuse of injured linebackers. Last year Grecio was put out there after our starting QB was injured. Had Guice played it would have been a different outcome...but then again there's that woulda, coulda, shoulda.....

3. Your announcer is bush league. It reminds me of Murray State. The announcing of the game over the PA should be neutral... the cheering he did from beginning to end shows me wku hasn't got it yet when it comes to putting on a class show in football!

4. IF you guys are truly #6 (or whatever) team in IAA, then you are overrated or we certainly should be in the top 20!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. I am hugely disappointed in the outcome of last night's game .There are no moral victories as far as I am concerned and I am sick of woulda, shoulda, coulda. But I do know this series must continue. You guys ONLY fill your stadium when EKU comes to town. I was dsicussing this with some wku fans at halftime and they said the same thing!!!!

GO BIG E! We play NC State next week, (would love to see a win, but realistically NC State is a very good IA team), so it is off to another horrible start. We need the OVC Championship to make the playoffs. So GO COLONELS and GET-R-Dunn!!!!

If you read my earlier post, I gave a lot of credit to EKU. However, don't forget that WKU was completely dominating the game (scored 3 of the first 4 times they had the ball) until the fumble on the ridiculous toss call around the 4:00 mark. The fumble let EKU back in the game and you took advantage of it. However, don't forget that WKU outgained EKU offensively and EKU had zero success running the ball. It wasn't like EKU dominated the game and lost it at the end. EKU played a very inspired second half, but didn't do jack in the first half. It takes 60 minutes, something WKU seemed to forget during halftime. I'm sure not making excuses, but we did lose our best defensive player (Brandon Smith) for the entire second half. The bottom line is that it was a thrilling game pitting two teams that played their guts out. We found a way to win and that's what good teams do. Nothing against EKU at all, but again, don't act like you dominated the game. It didn't happen.

EKUColonel
September 11th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Your announcer is bush league. It reminds me of Murray State. The announcing of the game over the PA should be neutral... the cheering he did from beginning to end shows me wku hasn't got it yet when it comes to putting on a class show in football!

I am hugely disappointed in the outcome of last night's game .There are no moral victories as far as I am concerned and I am sick of woulda, shoulda, coulda. But I do know this series must continue. You guys ONLY fill your stadium when EKU comes to town. I was dsicussing this with some wku fans at halftime and they said the same thing!!!!

Yeah man their announcer is the biggest homer in the world. He was basically like another cheerleader for WKU. Our announcer at EKU doesn't do that, but it didn't really bother me that much.

The stadium was massively full last night. Most people I've ever seen at a I-AA football game. But yeah EKU drawls twice as many people for WKU games as well, so that just goes to show how big this rivalry is. I think last night's game was Game of the Year stuff.

galojay
September 11th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Yeah man their announcer is the biggest homer in the world. He was basically like another cheerleader for WKU. Our announcer at EKU doesn't do that, but it didn't really bother me that much.

The stadium was massively full last night. Most people I've ever seen at a I-AA football game. But yeah EKU drawls twice as many people for WKU games as well, so that just goes to show how big this rivalry is. I think last night's game was Game of the Year stuff.

I agree... it was an awesome college football atmosphere glad Ralph was able to come down and witness. Attendance was 18,944, so it was standing room only, Smith Stadium only holds 17.5K. WKU and EKU are rivals and need to play, it's good for both of us. No matter what happens with WKU and I-A talk, I hope we always get to play (and beat) Eastern.

ekufbfan
September 11th, 2005, 01:12 PM
If you read my earlier post, I gave a lot of credit to EKU. However, don't forget that WKU was completely dominating the game (scored 3 of the first 4 times they had the ball) until the fumble on the ridiculous toss call around the 4:00 mark. The fumble let EKU back in the game and you took advantage of it. However, don't forget that WKU outgained EKU offensively and EKU had zero success running the ball. It wasn't like EKU dominated the game and lost it at the end. EKU played a very inspired second half, but didn't do jack in the first half. It takes 60 minutes, something WKU seemed to forget during halftime. I'm sure not making excuses, but we did lose our best defensive player (Brandon Smith) for the entire second half. The bottom line is that it was a thrilling game pitting two teams that played their guts out. We found a way to win and that's what good teams do. Nothing against EKU at all, but again, don't act like you dominated the game. It didn't happen.

Reread YOUR reply and mine.....
I DID NOT say EKU dominated the game, however you did point our it takes 60 minutes...lets give the first half to you minus the last minute of the first half when wku fumbled and we score.. give the Colonels the second halfwhere we DID dominate and then gave the game back to you in the last 50 seconds on gold plated platter (i.e. in case you don't understand. dropped pass inside the 30 yard line with less than 3 minutes to go and then a our freshman (should we use that as an excuse?) long snapper snaps the ball over the punters head!!

I DID say that wku fans on HH and the EKU Board are talking about how "bad wku played" and that was the only reason EKU was in the game....NOT SO!! Also, don't use the excuse about two defensive starters being out of the game. Our starting QB was out last year, thus throwing freshman Josh Greco in the game. You play with what your dealt, so you whiners need to deal with it. This is exactly the reason I hate western...whiners and excuse makers. At least EKU fans don't make excuses when we lose. We got beat last night period! But EKU putting points on the boards had more to do with the Colonels, than lack of "good play" on wku's behalf! Grow up and act like you know SOMETHING about football!

galojay
September 11th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Reread YOUR reply and mine.....

I DID say that wku fans on HH and the EKU Board are talking about how "bad wku played" and that was the only reason EKU was in the game....NOT SO!! Also, don't use the excuse about two defensive starters being out of the game. Our starting QB was out last year, thus throwing freshman Josh Greco in the game. You play with what your dealt, so you whiners need to deal with it. This is exactly the reason I hate western...whiners and excuse makers. At least EKU fans don't make excuses when we lose. We got beat last night period! But EKU putting points on the boards had more to do with the Colonels, than lack of "good play" on wku's behalf! Grow up and act like you know SOMETHING about football!

I think you're reading into things too much ekufbfan. What do you expect fans of a school to do? We are going to anaylize and discuss what our team needs to do better, where our weaknesses are. NO ONE has said EKU was bad. EVERYONE has said EKU is a good team and was the better team last night. What fun are message boards if you can discuss your team? Just like you and your fans, we are looking at the game to see what we can do better.

No one has taken anything away from EKU.... calm down dude.

ekufbfan
September 11th, 2005, 01:33 PM
... calm down dude.

Dudette if you please...

we love our Colonels...so would you expect any less...it's a rivalry Dude, the Battle of the Bluegrass no less!!!

GO BIG E!!!!

Toppermaniac
September 11th, 2005, 03:35 PM
OK, EKUfbfan, the bottom line is we won and you lost. How's that for growing up. Afterall, the final score is really the only thing that matters.

Toppermaniac
September 11th, 2005, 03:38 PM
why would WKU fans need to "make excuses" when we won the game. The fans were just pointing out that we played poorly in the second half. Of course SOME of the credit has to go to EKU, but some of it was also attributed to WKU's poor play, poor play calling, and probably the fact that they thought the game was over when they went up 17-0 and were dominating every facet of the game. That's what I meant by playing 60 minutes. Again, we don't need excused because we won. It's just part of analyzing a game.

colonelblitz
September 11th, 2005, 04:14 PM
A classic battle..( but not good enough for TV ) :bang: ...BS !!

ekufbfan
September 11th, 2005, 04:53 PM
why would WKU fans need to "make excuses" when we won the game. The fans were just pointing out that we played poorly in the second half. Of course SOME of the credit has to go to EKU, but some of it was also attributed to WKU's poor play, poor play calling, and probably the fact that they thought the game was over when they went up 17-0 and were dominating every facet of the game. That's what I meant by playing 60 minutes. Again, we don't need excused because we won. It's just part of analyzing a game.

Ok maniac, using your logic.... EKU "played poorly" the first half, thus wku was up 17-0...wku "played poorly" the second half, thus EKU was up 21-20. wku won because EKU "played poorly" the last 53 seconds. Just analyzing the game.....

Toppermaniac
September 11th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Ok maniac, using your logic.... EKU "played poorly" the first half, thus wku was up 17-0...wku "played poorly" the second half, thus EKU was up 21-20. wku won because EKU "played poorly" the last 53 seconds. Just analyzing the game.....

Don't argue with a woman, you will NEVER win!!!!!

Wrong, I always win. LOL