PDA

View Full Version : What Have We Gained From ASU Over Michigan?

Cap'n Cat
November 16th, 2007, 10:28 PM
We've had a season to digest it, now. Have the fortunes of FCS changed any since the Mounties shook the college football world?

I'm thinking nothing has changed and, in the final analysis, we are still the "SUBdivision" we were on September 1 and we received little benefit. To be sure, the ASU community has benefited greatly, however....

No more I-AA teams are on major national TV than were last year as a result of this win. ESPN2 broadcast high school f***ing football games on Thursday nights. Weak-ass MAC teams who, likely, could not beat any of the top 25 in I-AA still crowd the weekday national TV appearances. In fact, anyone see that sorry-excuse-for-a-college-football-game, Ohio @ Akron a few nights ago? Think Delaware or GSU's stadium woulda been as empty that night? The UNIDome, FargoDome, Wash-Griz? Our division receives no more apparent public respect as a consequence. In fact, the victory over Michigan is treated as a gross anomaly, now.

This is meant to take nothing away from App State. As excited as we were way back then, there is, in replacement, the sting of the knowledge that we are still treated as college football's backwater division to whom glory is only a regional phenomenon. Division II and Division III get more press than I-AA around playoff time.

Just some thoughts.

Have a wonderful day!

:)

Appaholic
November 16th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I agree......and we were kidding ourselves in the FCS community if we thought one big victory would change that perception. Until FCS teams defeat mid-to-upper level FBS teams on a semi-regular basis, we will always be the red-headed step child. Currently, we are a feel good story and future trivia answer.......but at least we have a playoff!

SeattleGriz
November 16th, 2007, 11:10 PM
The proof that on that particular day, APP was better than Michigan.

I watch that game in awe everytime when it is replayed by how many times App took back that victory, especially in the last 5 minutes.

We all know, and care. It is just a matter of time before the rest of the World wakes up. Until then...we will enjoy crowning our champions on the field.

ngineer
November 16th, 2007, 11:13 PM
While I agree, FCS had a very good year with some nice wins over other FBS schools as well. We will never get center ring attention, and should just accept the challenges we're able to acquire, 'cause there's nothing like getting a big 'upset' over some of these guys.

JayJ79
November 16th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Nope, haven't really gained any media love.
Maybe some more FBS players who are unhappy with their situation will think more about transferring to a FCS school. (that kind of scares me, as they might think of ASU first. Not that FBS transfers automatically have success in FCS, but occasionally they do).

If anything, though, it might have had a negative effect, as it might discourage some FBS teams from buying games with upper level FCS teams.

Syntax Error
November 17th, 2007, 12:15 AM
It put our FCS champ on the front pages and the cover of SI again. Every announcer / sportswriter in America learned what FCS meant even if they botched it or refused to use it. They all learned that FCS is Division I championship football. And they were required to report it, meaning millions heard it. They saw it, they still see it. However much, they learned it. App State's win over Michigan in the first regular season weekend of the name change was monumental.

Most importantly, it showed that THEY WERE WRONG, WE CAN HANG ANY GIVEN SATURDAY WITH ANYBODY.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 17th, 2007, 03:17 AM
What it shows to me is that an above average FCS school with two conference losses is JUST AS GOOD as the TOP RANKED FBS school. The app state over michigan win, in conjunction with the UF over Ohio State spanking last "NC" game goes to show how much better southern teams are in general over the northern/west coast teams.

OB55
November 17th, 2007, 03:18 AM
You have covered what we gained completely. Now for what was learned, big time bowl minded schools learned to be more selective when scheduling early season home games with FCS opponents. After all, the idea is to get a win, count the game, play at home, and get a tune up for next week. Anything above and beyond a tune, they are not interested in.xnodx

Seven Would Be Nice
November 17th, 2007, 03:40 AM
You have covered what we gained completely. Now for what was learned, big time bowl minded schools learned to be more selective when scheduling early season home games with FCS opponents. After all, the idea is to get a win, count the game, play at home, and get a tune up for next week. Anything above and beyond a tune, they are not interested in.xnodx

That and they will start doing their research before scheduling any FCS team. You will see WCU easily getting 3 FBS teams each year, and GSU/App state/etc, having a harder time finding FBS opponents to play.

Poly Pigskin
November 17th, 2007, 05:15 AM
What it shows to me is that an above average FCS school with two conference losses is JUST AS GOOD as the TOP RANKED FBS school. The app state over michigan win, in conjunction with the UF over Ohio State spanking last "NC" game goes to show how much better southern teams are in general over the northern/west coast teams.

Why are southern teams inherently better? There aren't many games that span regions, so it's hardly fair to make sweeping generalizations like that based on such a small sample size. Obviously this is just my opinion, but I think the SoCon and CAA would be suprised by a few of the GWFC and BSC teams this season, and I'm positive the Pac-10 is the best overall conference in FBS this season.

Back on topic, the FCS hasn't gained anything from this win, and anyone who thought otherwise is very foolish. Just look at the NCAA basketball tourney. Sure, every year there are upsets, but the top big name teams continue to be the favorites regardless. USC and Kentucky just lost to big underdogs, but if you think those games will play any part in determining the seeds come March, think again. In basketball and football upsets happen, and that's just what they are: upsets. There is no reason for media perception to change until the underdog starts winning the majority of the games. For FCS vs FBS, this is never.

AppStateold299
November 17th, 2007, 05:22 AM
The proof that on that particular day, APP was better than Michigan.

I watch that game in awe everytime when it is replayed by how many times App took back that victory, especially in the last 5 minutes.

We all know, and care. It is just a matter of time before the rest of the World wakes up. Until then...we will enjoy crowning our champions on the field.

I have to say this is one of the few times I agree witha Griz fan. It will happen at some point, but until then they can go on getting it wrong through a computer and we will continue to give the championship to the team that settles their debate on the field.

Pantherpower
November 17th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Great thread, Cap'n. As far as what have we gained, in the state of Iowa, ASU's win over Michigan planted seeds of doubt among the Iowa Hawkeye faithful.

Hawkeye fans historically are completely delusional and void of logic in expectations of their very average FBS program. In years past, Hawkeye posters would dismiss the notion of UNI having a chance to take down their beloved Hawks....not any more.

Thanks to ASU's win coupled with UNI's win over Iowa State (who beat Iowa the next week) Many on their board, particularly early in the season, felt UNI was the best team in the state and would take down the Hawks even if they played at Kinnick.

Now that Iowa has strung together a few wins, the percentage of Iowa fans who believe this has gone down, but the debate still rages on Hawkeye Report. The latest topic is that our 2nd string QB, Patrick Grace would start over the Hawks starter, Jake Christiansen.

CSUBUCDAD
November 17th, 2007, 07:10 AM
It did force one poll to change it's policy and start considering FCS schools in their top 25 weekly ranking. Not much, but a meager start to national respect.

saluki_in_ohio
November 17th, 2007, 07:13 AM
If anything, what the ASU-Michigan has done is it is going to be harder for the elite FCS teams to get the really big payoff games with the elite FBS teams. Think about it, what FBS team wants to pay big bucks to get beat by an FCS team at home?

A possible benefit is that it will easier for the weaker FCS teams to get big money games with the elite FBS teams.

ASUG8
November 17th, 2007, 07:57 AM
It taught everybody how to pronounce Appalachian, and more people can find Boone on the map (or N.C. for that matter).

I'm glad it had repercussions throughout college football. There are and have always been elite FCS teams that could take down a good portion of the FBS top 25. In the SoCon, Wofford gave NC State a tight game, and Citadel hung pretty tough with Wisconsin. We were fortunate to be firing on all cylinders that day, and it was a monumental day in ASU football. I hope we (FCS) continue to get games with upper tier FBS teams going forward, but a valid point was made that everybody wants a patsy team to pad their schedule. Hopefully, if nothing else we punched them in the mouth and gained some respect.

CaBisonFan
November 17th, 2007, 08:42 AM
We've had a season to digest it, now. Have the fortunes of FCS changed any since the Mounties shook the college football world?

I'm thinking nothing has changed and, in the final analysis, we are still the "SUBdivision" we were on September 1 and we received little benefit. To be sure, the ASU community has benefited greatly, however....

No more I-AA teams are on major national TV than were last year as a result of this win. ESPN2 broadcast high school f***ing football games on Thursday nights. Weak-ass MAC teams who, likely, could not beat any of the top 25 in I-AA still crowd the weekday national TV appearances. In fact, anyone see that sorry-excuse-for-a-college-football-game, Ohio @ Akron a few nights ago? Think Delaware or GSU's stadium woulda been as empty that night? The UNIDome, FargoDome, Wash-Griz? Our division receives no more apparent public respect as a consequence. In fact, the victory over Michigan is treated as a gross anomaly, now.

This is meant to take nothing away from App State. As excited as we were way back then, there is, in replacement, the sting of the knowledge that we are still treated as college football's backwater division to whom glory is only a regional phenomenon. Division II and Division III get more press than I-AA around playoff time.

Just some thoughts.

Have a wonderful day!

:)

The protectors of the myth that the FBS is far superior, which includes the media, have been busy spinning that game into a crazy, impossible upset.

"Boy, Michigan was really off that day. One in a million upset."

They're so full of it.

There's only a few elite teams in the top 5 or 10 each year that can claim real dominance over anyone.

The rest are very beatable by a good FCS team.

Saint3333
November 17th, 2007, 08:52 AM

"above average", a little back handed compliment. I'd say ASU in a top tier FCS school and one of the top 5 current FCS programs xcoffeex.

Anyway on to the question. I believe the win did help the image of the FCS as anything that doesn't hurt the image inherently improves it. But we really won't know until the first few weeks of next year when the FCS/FBS matchups occur with the void of "meaningful" FBS games in the eyes of the media. I think more respect will be given to the these games (especially for the playoff caliber teams) by the media, but the players and coaches will give the games more respect as well through their preparation.

It helped ASU, I think the ASU playoff games will get first priority for TV due to the name recognition from the game. So it's better is ASU wins of course xthumbsupx.

appfan2008
November 17th, 2007, 08:53 AM
In case anyone is interested...

I learned that Appalachian State University is a better football team this year than the University of Michigan

citdog
November 17th, 2007, 09:30 AM
That and they will start doing their research before scheduling any FCS team. You will see WCU easily getting 3 FBS teams each year, and GSU/App state/etc, having a harder time finding FBS opponents to play.

GSU? GSU has never defeated a FBS Team! Before you enter GSU in this discussion Me thinks that you had better have hung an "L" on a FBS Team!

Hammerhead
November 17th, 2007, 09:37 AM
ESPN still called NDSU's win an "upset" over Minnesota even though the Gophers are the doormat of the Big Ten this year.

Even before this year's game, Minnesota said they didn't want to schedule NDSU anymore so we can look forward to another 69 years between games again.

Cap'n Cat
November 17th, 2007, 09:38 AM
It put our FCS champ on the front pages and the cover of SI again. Every announcer / sportswriter in America learned what FCS meant even if they botched it or refused to use it. They all learned that FCS is Division I championship football. And they were required to report it, meaning millions heard it. They saw it, they still see it. However much, they learned it. App State's win over Michigan in the first regular season weekend of the name change was monumental.

Most importantly, it showed that THEY WERE WRONG, WE CAN HANG ANY GIVEN SATURDAY WITH ANYBODY.

Dream on, Fred. The effect lasted for three weeks, tops.

xrolleyesx

Biggest proof that that win didn't gain us a GD thing:

ESPN COllege GameDay is in ANN ARBOR today and, thus far, not a single fleeting mention of Michigan's loss to Appalachian State.

No one cared about I-AA then, no one other than us cares about them now. So be it. We have ourselves and that is good.

eagle_13
November 17th, 2007, 09:51 AM
What Have We Gained From ASU Over Michigan?

A few thousand extra bandwagon fans in Boone that know absolutley nothing about football. xsmiley_wix Most fans I ran into at ASU this year knew far less about their program than I did...but they all talked about App over Michigan. A far cry from previous experiences in Boone.

GATA EAGLES!!!!!!!!!

D1B
November 17th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Dream on, Fred. The effect lasted for three weeks, tops.

xrolleyesx

ESPN COllege GameDay is in ANN ARBOR today and, thus far, not a single fleeting mention of Michigan's loss to Appalachian State.

No one cared about I-AA then, no one other than us cares about them now. So be it. We have ourselves and that is good.

Didn't they rebroadcast the game yesterday on ESPN Classic?

D1B
November 17th, 2007, 09:53 AM

A few thousand extra bandwagon fans in Boone that know absolutley nothing about football. xsmiley_wix Most fans I ran into at ASU this year knew far less about their program than I did...but they all talked about App over Michigan. A far cry from previous experiences in Boone.

GATA EAGLES!!!!!!!!!

The top 1AA teams are the highest I've ever seen ranked in power ratings.xnodx

The Moody1
November 17th, 2007, 10:05 AM
[QUOTE=Cap'n Cat;744523]We've had a season to digest it, now. Have the fortunes of FCS changed any since the Mounties shook the college football world?

You would think that you have have at least learned our nickname. By the way, I hear your "Panties" are pretty good this year. :D

Cap'n Cat
November 17th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Yeah, and next week I'm gonna watch Fresno State @ Arizona, 1998.

xcoffeex

appfan2008
November 17th, 2007, 10:11 AM

yes they did and they will continue to show it!!!

citdog
November 17th, 2007, 10:13 AM

maybe you and Appaholic and grtappst and the other yosefs can get together and have a circle jrk the next time it's rebroadcast.

D1B
November 17th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Yeah, and next week I'm gonna watch Fresno State @ Arizona, 1998.
xcoffeex

Enjoy the game.xthumbsupx

igo4uni
November 17th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Great thread, Cap'n. As far as what have we gained, in the state of Iowa, ASU's win over Michigan planted seeds of doubt among the Iowa Hawkeye faithful.

Hawkeye fans historically are completely delusional and void of logic in expectations of their very average FBS program. In years past, Hawkeye posters would dismiss the notion of UNI having a chance to take down their beloved Hawks....not any more.

Thanks to ASU's win coupled with UNI's win over Iowa State (who beat Iowa the next week) Many on their board, particularly early in the season, felt UNI was the best team in the state and would take down the Hawks even if they played at Kinnick.

Now that Iowa has strung together a few wins, the percentage of Iowa fans who believe this has gone down, but the debate still rages on Hawkeye Report. The latest topic is that our 2nd string QB, Patrick Grace would start over the Hawks starter, Jake Christiansen.

I agree. Apps win planted that seed with the Squawkeye faithful that their division is not head and shoulders above FCS. Some won't admit it, but they know it's true!!

D1B
November 17th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I agree. Apps win planted that seed with the Squawkeye faithful that their division is not head and shoulders above FCS. Some won't admit it, but they know it's true!!

These wins have to have a positive effect on recruiting for FCS schools.

To expect that the world is gonna change because of the APP win is a little much. xrolleyesx

Let's have this conversation in a couple years.xpopcornx

The Moody1
November 17th, 2007, 10:24 AM

The next re-play is Friday November 23rd at 10:00am on The Big 10 Network. I am hoping to get a copy in High Definition because the HD feed was not available on Direct TV the day of the game.

D1B
November 17th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Yeah, and last week Gameday was at a DIII game. xrulesx

D1B
November 17th, 2007, 10:26 AM
The next re-play is Friday November 23rd at 10:00am on The Big 10 Network. I am hoping to get a copy in High Definition because the HD feed was not available on Direct TV the day of the game.

xthumbsupx

newsbreaker
November 17th, 2007, 10:50 AM
We gained nothing. Zero. We would have gained something if Appy State hadn't gone out and "proven" their win a "fluke" to the world by losing twice, but that is indeed what happened.

You can make the argument that those loses only show that FCS as a whole is so good. That is an inferential leap that the football watching world just isn't going to make, because it would mean that dozens of FCS teams are better than Michigan (and the like.) That is untrue. The top-10 FCS teams can paly with the top FBS teams in a given year, but not more than that, and I don't think anyone seriously would contend otherwise.

You weren't going to see major changes in TV coverage this season, those contracts and schedules are already set. That's looking for a reaction that just wasn't going to happen. Next year maybe, but not this year.

BigApp
November 17th, 2007, 10:55 AM
maybe you and Appaholic and grtappst and the other yosefs can get together and have a circle jrk the next time it's rebroadcast.

only if you're the pivot man xcoolx

D1B
November 17th, 2007, 10:57 AM
We gained nothing. Zero.

xrolleyesx

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 17th, 2007, 11:50 AM
The delusion that the bottom FBS teams are multiple touchdowns better than the top FCS teams seems to have declined a lot.

mcveyrl
November 17th, 2007, 11:51 AM
The only thing I can add to this discussion is that there was about a half page blurb on ASU in the latest edition of ESPN the Magazine. From what I recall, it sort of covered their season and the possibility of them getting in the playoffs. While I can't say that this would be a permanent change (some mag coverage for FCS) it would not have happened without the win.

lizrdgizrd
November 17th, 2007, 12:19 PM
GSU? GSU has never defeated a FBS Team! Before you enter GSU in this discussion Me thinks that you had better have hung an "L" on a FBS Team!
Hey citdog, how many wins over FBS teams does Citadel have?

Grizaholic17
November 17th, 2007, 12:22 PM

The importance to that question has nothing to do with the thread. Come on people. I think that it was a great game for the FCS, but that everyone in the FBS wants to forget it, so that's what they'll do...especially ince Michigan is good. People won't talk about ASU beating them, just their champ.

FCSFAN
November 17th, 2007, 12:24 PM
It did force one poll to change it's policy and start considering FCS schools in their top 25 weekly ranking.xthumbsupx

The Moody1
November 17th, 2007, 12:25 PM

I'll jump in here because I know that they have wins over South Carolina and Arkansas, and Navy(I think).

FCSFAN
November 17th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Dream on, Fred. The effect lasted for three weeks, tops. Biggest proof that that win didn't gain us a GD thing: ESPN COllege GameDay is in ANN ARBOR today and, [U]thus far, not a single fleeting mention of Michigan's loss to Appalachian State. No one cared about I-AA then, no one other than us cares about them now. So be it. We have ourselves and that is good.Definite App envy going on here and with many UNI fans. They are discounting the effects of the win because they are jealous. xnodx

Ronin
November 17th, 2007, 01:24 PM

So true.

Watching the "other" sub-division, I've become rather bored. After all there's no playoffs, no real champion and it's all driven by revenues. While there are great players and coaches, it's all turned into a marketing showboat which limits competition.

CID1990
November 17th, 2007, 06:18 PM

They are numerous. They have also been mentioned in several other threads, so I won't repeat them here, but one of them was considered the biggest upset of a FCS team over a FBS team until the ASU win over UM.

CID1990
November 17th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I'll jump in here because I know that they have wins over South Carolina and Arkansas, and Navy(I think).

.... don't forget Army. (twice... Navy twice, too)

AshevilleApp
November 17th, 2007, 06:20 PM
How many FCS over FBS wins this season?

Grizaholic17
November 17th, 2007, 06:26 PM
How many FCS over FBS wins this season?

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=88870
In this article it says nine. But that was the NDSU Cal Poly game week.

lizrdgizrd
November 17th, 2007, 08:19 PM

The importance to that question has nothing to do with the thread. Come on people. I think that it was a great game for the FCS, but that everyone in the FBS wants to forget it, so that's what they'll do...especially ince Michigan is good. People won't talk about ASU beating them, just their champ.

They are numerous. They have also been mentioned in several other threads, so I won't repeat them here, but one of them was considered the biggest upset of a FCS team over a FBS team until the ASU win over UM.

.... don't forget Army. (twice... Navy twice, too)

And here I was giving citdog a nice fat pitch over the middle so he could knock it outta the park and you guys have to go and ruin it. :p

Grizaholic17
November 17th, 2007, 08:23 PM
And here I was giving citdog a nice fat pitch over the middle so he could knock it outta the park and you guys have to go and ruin it. :p

I would be happy about that if I was youxsmiley_wix

Cap'n Cat
November 17th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Definite App envy going on here and with many UNI fans. They are discounting the effects of the win because they are jealous. xnodx

So, are you posting as FCSFAN or Syntax Error or "Mort" this time?

App envy? Kind of a stretch, even for a troll like you. Truth hurts about I-AA, don't it, Ralphie Blue Skies?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xcoffeex

Appaholic
November 18th, 2007, 01:21 AM

Alot like Hell week at the Citadel....what do ya'll fantasize about when you bellhops "circle the wagons"......going to West Point?

EKU05
November 18th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Guys, I've only read the first page of the thread...but just remember that who is on TV has everything to do with conference contracts and nothing to do with sudden realizations of who is good. Even if the ASU win were going to change everything (which it will not) then it wouldn't happen this season...it would happen down the road when contracts expire and things are up for renegotiation.

The MAC has a contract to get so many games on TV this season, and that's what happened. It's that simple...even if ESPN wanted to change everything right away (which they don't)...that wouldn't even be a realistic option. Basically what I'm saying is that at least in terms of what games are televised this entire thread is 100% moot.

skinny_uncle
November 18th, 2007, 11:31 AM
So, are you posting as FCSFAN or Syntax Error or "Mort" this time?

App envy? Kind of a stretch, even for a troll like you. Truth hurts about I-AA, don't it, Ralphie Blue Skies?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xcoffeex
Been nice seeing you, Cap'n.
xlolx

B&G
November 18th, 2007, 11:44 AM
The only tangible thing the FCS gained was the possibility to be included in the Top 25 poll the NCAA. There are a lot of potential gains though. Some teams will probably get a couple more recruits/transfers they wouldn't have gotten before. And maybe FCS schools will not be dismissed as cupcakes quite as casually as they were when I was standing in line to get into the Big House listening to the students behind us predict final scores like 45-3.

Monarch History
November 18th, 2007, 12:30 PM
While I agree, FCS had a very good year with some nice wins over other FBS schools as well. We will never get center ring attention, and should just accept the challenges we're able to acquire, 'cause there's nothing like getting a big 'upset' over some of these guys.

I agree with ngineer that we need to embrace FCS football. I assume all of us do or we wouldn't be on the AGS Board. We have what most FBS fans would love to be a part of xbowx a true championship won on the field not in the media and the watered down Bowl Games. xnonox

back2back
November 18th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I would imagine that a Tuesday or Wednesday night game at the Rock on ESPN would get a better rating than Central vs Western vs Eastern Michigan. Get to work Charlie!!!

APPSTER
November 18th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Some of you guys are a bit delusional. Top tier FCS football is not as good as top tier FBS football. It never will be as good on a regular basis and there's no reason it should be expected to be as good.

If Florida plays LSU and LSU has 20 scholly players suspended, which team would be predicted to win? Appalachian was better than Michigan on that day. If ASU played another good FBS team the next week, we would have gotten hammered. Why? Because so many guys were beat up from the Michigan game because they had to play every down and were going up against bigger players.

For you guys that can't understand why FCS doesn't get more press, its simple. The only people that care about your team are people associated with your school in some way. Nobody else is interested. Quit worrying about "respect" and just enjoy football saturday at your favorite stadium.

When an FCS team beats an FBS team, its an upset. It will always be an upset. What's wrong with that?

ASUMountaineer
November 18th, 2007, 01:40 PM

GATA EAGLES!!!!!!!!!

This is unfortunately true, and very sad. In NC, it's now the "cool" thing to say, "Heading up for the App State game." Come January they'll say, "Go Tar Heels" or "Go Duke." That's what happens though with success. Many people are Duke *basketball* fans, but they are a fan of no *football* team (this goes for UNC too). Appalachian probably has the best college football team in NC. If we start losing, all of those people will stay away.

Grizaholic17
November 18th, 2007, 01:43 PM
This is unfortunately true, and very sad. In NC, it's now the "cool" thing to say, "Heading up for the App State game." Come January they'll say, "Go Tar Heels" or "Go Duke." That's what happens though with success. Many people are Duke *basketball* fans, but they are a fan of no *football* team (this goes for UNC too). Appalachian probably has the best college football team in NC. If we start losing, all of those people will stay away.

NC State? Not much this year, but alot of loyal fans there for a good quality program

mountaineertider
November 18th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Heck, it'll probably be that way on campus in January.