PDA

View Full Version : NDSU vs. EWU in Minneapolis Game Thread (September 2, 2023)

bonarae
March 25th, 2023, 12:48 AM
Isn't it time to jumpstart conversations for this game, way back in spring ball of this coming season? I tried to find older threads related to this but I couldn't find any listing the specific game.

The stadium, as of right now, has set up a dedicated page (https://www.usbankstadium.com/events/detail/ndsu-easternwashington) at its website for this game.

Professor Chaos
March 26th, 2023, 02:16 AM
I'll be curious to see how ticket sales go for this one. IMO the peak of ticket demand for NDSU football happened in August 2019 when they played at Target Field (home of the Minnesota Twins) in Minneapolis and drew nearly 35k. It's been downhill since then as fans (and the players it seems) have gotten bored. This is a better opponent than they had in 2019. It's a much better venue for football. Minneapolis/St Paul is home to a ton of NDSU alumni and is a recruiting hotbed for NDSU. All of that points to them drawing a bigger crowd than they did in 2019 but I'm skeptical... they still haven't said what tickets will go for but the NDSU booster presale starts next Wednesday so we'll find out shortly.

I never heard what NDSU got from Target Field for that 2019 but I heard estimates that it was north of $500K (more than most FBS games pay out) so I'd expect these type of games will be an emphasis for NDSU football going forward unless/until scheduling regional FBS games gets easier.

EDIT: In semi-related news SDSU announced they'll be playing a bodybag game at Target Field this fall as well: https://gojacks.com/news/2023/1/24/football-sdsu-football-to-play-drake-at-target-field.aspx (not saying EWU is a bodybag game for NDSU this year but Butler in 2019 certainly was)

100%GRIZ
March 26th, 2023, 10:23 AM
Should be Interesting! Don't see NDSU losing this one!

JacksFan40
March 27th, 2023, 10:48 AM
NDSU should roll and it should be a decent crowd. They drew just shy of 35k for Butler in 2019 at Target Field, so they should get at least that for a far more interesting game. I expect somewhere from 40-45k in attendance.

Professor Chaos
March 28th, 2023, 12:28 PM
NDSU should roll and it should be a decent crowd. They drew just shy of 35k for Butler in 2019 at Target Field, so they should get at least that for a far more interesting game. I expect somewhere from 40-45k in attendance.
40k seems optimistic to me. Based on the pre-sale today all lower bowl tickets are $100 or more after the ridiculous Ticketmaster fees. IIRC Target Field was in the $25-$50 range so I think the prices will scare some away.

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 28th, 2023, 05:42 PM
This game will be fun to go to. I expect around 40-45K for this one. The Target Field game was fun but this one should draw more IMO.

The game itself will be a joke. EWU is crap and they will be again this coming year. If they bring 1K fans I will be shocked....more like 500.

I want to see Entz put the foot on the pedal and keep it there. Crush this worse than mediocre team.

POD Knows
March 28th, 2023, 06:09 PM
NDSU has no depth at RB and an already suspect D will be worse in 2023. Ego and arrogance is preventing them to maybe beef up at running back and in the D secondary via the portal. Lots of unknowns going into the fall.

Bisonoline
March 28th, 2023, 10:49 PM
This game will be fun to go to. I expect around 40-45K for this one. The Target Field game was fun but this one should draw more IMO.

The game itself will be a joke. EWU is crap and they will be again this coming year. If they bring 1K fans I will be shocked....more like 500.

I want to see Entz put the foot on the pedal and keep it there. Crush this worse than mediocre team.

Im going with 25-30k.

Bisonator
March 30th, 2023, 09:35 AM
40k seems optimistic to me. Based on the pre-sale today all lower bowl tickets are $100 or more after the ridiculous Ticketmaster fees. IIRC Target Field was in the $25-$50 range so I think the prices will scare some away.
I agree with you. Ticketmaster has gone off the rails!

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 30th, 2023, 08:29 PM
NDSU has no depth at RB and an already suspect D will be worse in 2023. Ego and arrogance is preventing them to maybe beef up at running back and in the D secondary via the portal. Lots of unknowns going into the fall.

Hogwash. Defense will be better this year. More experienced DL and they are bigger. Only question on the defense will be the backfield.

RBs: could use a couple of more

TW
TK Marshall
Kpeenu

- - - Updated - - -

Im going with 25-30k.

Could be right PL. I'm an optimist....:D

Libertine
March 30th, 2023, 08:49 PM
One factor that might enter into affect attendance estimates, or comparisons of attendance to the 2019 game:

In 2019, the U of Minnesota didn't play that same Saturday as NDSU, having played two days earlier (Thu) vs SDSU. This year, the Gophers have Nebraska at home the same day as NDSU-EWU.

POD Knows
March 30th, 2023, 10:16 PM
Hogwash. Defense will be better this year. More experienced DL and they are bigger. Only question on the defense will be the backfield.

RBs: could use a couple of more

TW
TK Marshall
Kpeenu

- - - Updated - - -

Could be right PL. I'm an optimist....:D
Well. You confirmed what I said about the D backfield. Our D line will be marginally better but we will be exposed by teams that throw the ball. Basically the same LB crew, more experienced but how much better will they be? The running back situation is precarious at best. No real depth. The Bison will be good but not great.

AmsterBison
March 31st, 2023, 02:44 PM
One factor that might enter into affect attendance estimates, or comparisons of attendance to the 2019 game:

In 2019, the U of Minnesota didn't play that same Saturday as NDSU, having played two days earlier (Thu) vs SDSU. This year, the Gophers have Nebraska at home the same day as NDSU-EWU.

I don't think that'll matter. It won't happen, but it would be hilarious if NDSU outdrew the Gophers.

If it were NDSU playing Nebraska and EWU playing the Gophers though....

Gil Dobie
April 1st, 2023, 08:33 AM
I don't think that'll matter. It won't happen, but it would be hilarious if NDSU outdrew the Gophers.

Gopher game will have a lot of Nebraska fans.

uni88
April 1st, 2023, 10:53 AM

Would the boat sink?

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 1st, 2023, 11:06 AM

If it was NDSU/UND or NDSU/St Thomas, it would outdraw the Gophers game.

POD Knows
April 1st, 2023, 11:11 AM
If it was NDSU/UND or NDSU/St Thomas, it would outdraw the Gophers game.Or NDSU/SDSU and probably NDSU/UNI as well

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 1st, 2023, 02:14 PM
Or NDSU/SDSU and probably NDSU/UNI as well

Meh....maybe SDSU but UNI wouldn't come close....

BisonFan02
April 1st, 2023, 07:43 PM

#bookit

POD Knows
April 2nd, 2023, 08:52 AM

#bookit
Lol. Been so long since you have been on this board that you need training on how to post pics.

Gil Dobie
April 2nd, 2023, 09:32 AM
I'd rather drive to Fargo for this game. 4 hrs vs 30 minutes. But it looks like Bison fans don't care so much about Fargodome games anymore, as attendance continues to be down. Probably down more this year after not winning in Frisco. 30 minute drive doesn't sound like much, but going to New Detroit doesn't excite me. Just don't care much for supporting Minneapolis at this point in time.

TheKingpin28
April 2nd, 2023, 10:57 AM
Got 5 tickets in the Medtronic Club for BFINWMN and I. Dollar for dollar, (outside of box seats) these are the best seats in the stadium and surprisingly shocked at how relatively cheap they were. I know what my sister in law company pays for her 4 seats in the Medtronic Club for Vikings tickets so for a Bison game, they are more than fairly priced.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

SDFS
April 2nd, 2023, 01:58 PM
I'd rather drive to Fargo for this game. 4 hrs vs 30 minutes. But it looks like Bison fans don't care so much about Fargodome games anymore, as attendance continues to be down. Probably down more this year after not winning in Frisco. 30 minute drive doesn't sound like much, but going to New Detroit doesn't excite me. Just don't care much for supporting Minneapolis at this point in time.

You and I agree, Minneapolis is a mess. Keep a look out and don't walk around with your phone out. It will get an ass kicking. And don't let anyone tell you it is safe. The media is not reporting on the mess. Best of Luck!

AmsterBison
April 2nd, 2023, 03:14 PM
Gopher game will have a lot of Nebraska fans.

Yeah, that's why I think that NU v NDSU in MSP at TCF in The Acronym* Bowl would outdraw the Gophers at their stadium no matter who they were playing.

* Originally put anagram... wth

Bisonoline
April 2nd, 2023, 08:45 PM
You and I agree, Minneapolis is a mess. Keep a look out and don't walk around with your phone out. It will get an ass kicking. And don't let anyone tell you it is safe. The media is not reporting on the mess. Best of Luck!

I know two couples who own townhouses downtown. And stay there when in town on business. They say keep your head on a swivil. No where you are at all times.
Be aware of your surroundings. And get the hell out of town before dark. Public transportation???? DONT!!!

Then you have the IF factor. If a black gets killed for what ever reason and you are in the wrong place when it blows up you will be toast.
After what I saw the last go around no way in hell I go down town again.

TheKingpin28
April 6th, 2023, 07:32 AM
I know two couples who own townhouses downtown. And stay there when in town on business. They say keep your head on a swivil. No where you are at all times.
Be aware of your surroundings. And get the hell out of town before dark. Public transportation???? DONT!!!

Then you have the IF factor. If a black gets killed for what ever reason and you are in the wrong place when it blows up you will be toast.
After what I saw the last go around no way in hell I go down town again.Yeah it's bad around here. The college group used to do Uptown and Downtown but now we stay out in the Western suburbs where we can actually enjoy a night out and not have to worry about **** going down. Couldn't pay me to live in either of those places.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
April 6th, 2023, 11:37 AM
Can we keep the Minneapolis crime talk on the political board before this thread completely derails?

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 8th, 2023, 06:37 AM
EWU brings less than 1K fans.

Probably less than 500. Butler had a couple of hundred.....being generous....at Target Field in '19. EWU might match a couple of hundred.

Gil Dobie
April 8th, 2023, 06:43 AM
Can we keep the Minneapolis crime talk on the political board before this thread completely derails?

More about being aware when you go to this game. Just put that out there so fans are aware.

bonarae
April 8th, 2023, 07:50 PM
Wondering if this game is too late in the timing... because both teams are down heading into this season... xchinscratchx

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 8th, 2023, 07:57 PM
Wondering if this game is too late in the timing... because both teams are down heading into this season... xchinscratchx

How is NDSU "down"...??

Professor Chaos
April 8th, 2023, 10:18 PM
How is NDSU "down"...??
Only one direction to go when you win 9 titles in 11 years. Then again NDSU was supposed to be down going into the 2019 and (fall) 2021 seasons and won titles both years so give me another one of those "down years". ;)

There's a lot of unknowns with this Bison team though... between multiple starters transferring and losing multiple NFL caliber players along with uncharacteristic struggles in the defensive front 7 last year they'll need guys to step up at several positions.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 9th, 2023, 07:20 AM
Only one direction to go when you win 9 titles in 11 years. Then again NDSU was supposed to be down going into the 2019 and (fall) 2021 seasons and won titles both years so give me another one of those "down years". ;)

There's a lot of unknowns with this Bison team though... between multiple starters transferring and losing multiple NFL caliber players along with uncharacteristic struggles in the defensive front 7 last year they'll need guys to step up at several positions.

Fair points.

IMO, the defense will be significantly better this coming year. DL is more experienced now and Moestart will be back. LB corp is back. The backend of the defense will be the big question mark.

OL will be very good and that is a good start.