PDA

View Full Version : FCS over FBS Scalp Watch 2023

bonarae
March 21st, 2023, 05:33 AM
About time to heat up the discussion...

https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/03/every-fcs-vs-fbs-matchup-with-10-potential-upsets-to-watch-for-in-2023/

KPSUL
March 22nd, 2023, 08:48 AM
It's really hard to pick FCS winners in these games, but I agree that UNH should have a pretty good chance vs. Central Michigan. We have more 2 deep players returning than ever. It is mature team that should be ready to get out fast and the game is pretty early - Sept 9th. We've played them twice before and lost 2 close games: 21-24 in 2013 and 33-40 in 2003. UNH has won 7 FBS games over the past 20 years.

I also agree that Rhode Island has a good shot vs. Georgia State. They have played very competitively vs FBS, G5 teams the past 4-5 years. Over this time period they have had big and capable linemen on both sides of the ball, excellent RBs, some of the best WRs in the CAA. They have rugged, experienced and capable dual threat QB in Kasim Hill. Incredibly, Hill has been granted an extension of eligibility, and will be playing again with the Rams this upcoming season. Hard to fathom since he played at both Maryland and Tennessee before coming to URI, played his first college game in 2017, and he's currently 25 years old.

FUBeAR
March 22nd, 2023, 09:12 AM
They have rugged, experienced and capable dual threat QB in Kasim Hill. Incredibly, Hill has been granted an extension of eligibility, and will be playing again with the Rams this upcoming season. Hard to fathom since he played at both Maryland and Tennessee before coming to URI, played his first college game in 2017, and he's currently 25 years old.

Pretty straightforward…

* 2017 - MD - Played in 3 games before injury = Medical Redshirt - 0 years of eligibility used / 4 remaining​
* 2018 - MD - Played 10 games - 1 year of eligibility used / 3 remaining
* 2019 - TN - Scout Team only - DNP - Redshirt - 0 years of eligibility used / 3 remaining
* 2020 - RI - Played 3 games, but ‘Covid for all’ - 0 years of eligibility used / 3 remaining
* 2021 - RI - Played 11 games - 1 year of eligibility used / 2 remaining
* 2022 - RI - Played 11 games - 1 year of eligibility used / 1 remaining
* 2023 - RI (presumably) - 1 year of eligibility remaining

kdinva
March 22nd, 2023, 12:24 PM
Pretty straightforward…

* 2017 - MD - Played in 3 games before injury = Medical Redshirt - 0 years of eligibility used / 4 remaining​
* 2019 - TN - Scout Team only - DNP - Redshirt - 0 years of eligibility used / 3 remaining
* 2020 - RI - Played 3 games, but ‘Covid for all’ - 0 years of eligibility used / 3 remaining

damn joke, keep playing until you participate in 50-some games is what the NCAA rule book should say....even if it takes eight seasons.

OhioHen
March 22nd, 2023, 12:27 PM
Pretty straightforward…

What ever happened to being eligible for a single redshirt season and having five years from initial matriculation at one's first college to complete four years of eligibility (extra Covid season aside)?

FUBeAR
March 22nd, 2023, 01:48 PM
What ever happened to being eligible for a single redshirt season and having five years from initial matriculation at one's first college to complete four years of eligibility (extra Covid season aside)?
Medical redshirt - actually not officially called “redshirt” - called “Hardship Waiver” has been a thing for at least 20 years. Changes the ‘clock’ - adds another year. NCAA used to be really tight on these, but decided to stop getting sued and now seem to pop ‘em out of Indy like a Pez dispenser does. Add in a Covid year and none of Covid playing counted as playing… and you have 6 years to play (as defined) 4 years.

ElonFirefighter
March 22nd, 2023, 04:46 PM
I also agree that Rhode Island has a good shot vs. Georgia State.

Don't kid yourself, there are no winners in a gave vs Georgia State.

caribbeanhen
March 22nd, 2023, 05:39 PM
It's really hard to pick FCS winners in these games, but I agree that UNH should have a pretty good chance vs. Central Michigan. We have more 2 deep players returning than ever. It is mature team that should be ready to get out fast and the game is pretty early - Sept 9th. We've played them twice before and lost 2 close games: 21-24 in 2013 and 33-40 in 2003. UNH has won 7 FBS games over the past 20 years.

I also agree that Rhode Island has a good shot vs. Georgia State. They have played very competitively vs FBS, G5 teams the past 4-5 years. Over this time period they have had big and capable linemen on both sides of the ball, excellent RBs, some of the best WRs in the CAA. They have rugged, experienced and capable dual threat QB in Kasim Hill. Incredibly, Hill has been granted an extension of eligibility, and will be playing again with the Rams this upcoming season. Hard to fathom since he played at both Maryland and Tennessee before coming to URI, played his first college game in 2017, and he's currently 25 years old.

Rhode Island needs a better QB if they’re ever gonna climb the Hill…. One of the most loved teams in AGS … always ranked before they tank

MR. CHICKEN
March 22nd, 2023, 07:23 PM
RHODEY'S COACH....JIM FLEMING IS 31-62...IN NINE YEARS........ UH HERDIN' DUH SHEEP......🐑....LAST TWO SEASONS 7-4......HAVE KEPT HIS JOB.......SO IFIN' THEY DIDN'T LOSE MUCH TALENT.......MAYBE.......AWK!

ps.....GEORGIA STATE WAS 4-8....LAST SEASON......BRAWK!

Sitting Bull
March 23rd, 2023, 09:57 AM
Could be wrong though I think URI was the lone conference win by Georgia State during their disastrous sole season (2013?) in the CAA.

NY Crusader 2010
March 23rd, 2023, 10:42 AM
None of the 10 games really pop out at me to be honest. Not saying there won't be scalps, just might not be one of these games.

I like UNH over Central Michigan if I had to pick one. That's not an easy place to play, though.

I actually think Holy Cross has a better chance to beat BC in September than we do to beat Army in November, on Veterans' Day no less. Monken seems to have his teams playing good ball by that point every year.

KPSUL
March 23rd, 2023, 11:30 AM
None of the 10 games really pop out at me to be honest. Not saying there won't be scalps, just might not be one of these games.

I like UNH over Central Michigan if I had to pick one. That's not an easy place to play, though.

I actually think Holy Cross has a better chance to beat BC in September than we do to beat Army in November, on Veterans' Day no less. Monken seems to have his teams playing good ball by that point every year.

The Holy Cross vs Army matchup is an interesting one. Sulka is such a wild card in any game it's hard to know how Army will deal with him. Of course, you got the standard issue any team has to deal with vs Army - How to handle their 1970ish option offense. BC eventually overpowers any FCS team they play. The Cross may manage to stay within a a couple scores, but I don't see a W. Also, BC doesn't want to lose to its little brother out in Wooster. My moderately informed opinion is that the chances vs Army are a bit better. Playing a 2nd FBS game so close to playoff time may not be the best decision - particularly when Holy Cross is fielding their best team in decades.

caribbeanhen
March 23rd, 2023, 12:42 PM
The Holy Cross vs Army matchup is an interesting one. Sulka is such a wild card in any game it's hard to know how Army will deal with him. Of course, you got the standard issue any team has to deal with vs Army - How to handle their 1970ish option offense. BC eventually overpowers any FCS team they play. The Cross may manage to stay within a a couple scores, but I don't see a W. Also, BC doesn't want to lose to its little brother out in Wooster. My moderately informed opinion is that the chances vs Army are a bit better. Playing a 2nd FBS game so close to playoff time may not be the best decision - particularly when Holy Cross is fielding their best team in decades.

You got it all wrong KPSUL

Holy Cross wins this game

My name is Sluka and yes I think we’ve been here before

NY Crusader 2010
March 23rd, 2023, 01:29 PM

2022 we had a pretty darn good team. As much as we have coming back, we do lose a few key pieces in 2023. Last year is going to be tough to top.

You are probably right about BC. The last time they even had a competitive game against an FCS team was in 2007 against UMASS. On the flip side, my friends and colleagues who are big BC supporters tell me that the offseason thus far has been a dumpster fire for the Eagles as far as players hitting the portal. If they don't get their feet under them in their home opener against NIU, we might have a fighting chance. Hopefully, they overlook us with FSU coming to town the following week.

crusader11
April 20th, 2023, 10:00 AM
2022 we had a pretty darn good team. As much as we have coming back, we do lose a few key pieces in 2023. Last year is going to be tough to top.

You are probably right about BC. The last time they even had a competitive game against an FCS team was in 2007 against UMASS. On the flip side, my friends and colleagues who are big BC supporters tell me that the offseason thus far has been a dumpster fire for the Eagles as far as players hitting the portal. If they don't get their feet under them in their home opener against NIU, we might have a fighting chance. Hopefully, they overlook us with FSU coming to town the following week.

BC played their starters for the entire game last year against 2-9 Maine (38-17 win, although it was 31-17 late in the 4th).

bonarae
May 8th, 2023, 04:44 PM
See the first list in the article: https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/05/ranking-best-games-of-2023-fcs-college-football-season-but-the-more-the-merrier/

bonarae
August 10th, 2023, 08:08 PM
Twenty-five potential upsets.... will this be the year that FCS sets a new record for scalps? Far-fetched but some are realistic.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-08-10/25-potential-fcs-over-fbs-upsets-2023

MUHAWKS
August 10th, 2023, 09:58 PM
Twenty-five potential upsets.... will this be the year that FCS sets a new record for scalps? Far-fetched but some are realistic.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-08-10/25-potential-fcs-over-fbs-upsets-2023

I am one of the most biased/homer fans around and Monmouth's chances of beating an FAU team with a new HC from Texas, all that speed and transfers etc is slim to none. I know FAU were not world beaters and were up and down but they did play Purdue very close on the road. Like I said before I would rather be playing a legit FBS team in week 1. Not Michigan but something like a Syracuse, UVA, Rutgers-- Get whopped by 40 to FAU and you look horrible.Hang around and lose by 20 and still nothing. Somehow win, it prob means they really suck and it still may not mean much without validating it. Not sure if I am being clear but I know what I mean lol...

caribbeanhen
August 10th, 2023, 10:22 PM
I am one of the most biased/homer fans around and Monmouth's chances of beating an FAU team with a new HC from Texas, all that speed and transfers etc is slim to none. I know FAU were not world beaters and were up and down but they did play Purdue very close on the road. Like I said before I would rather be playing a legit FBS team in week 1. Not Michigan but something like a Syracuse, UVA, Rutgers-- Get whopped by 40 to FAU and you look horrible.Hang around and lose by 20 and still nothing. Somehow win, it prob means they really suck and it still may not mean much without validating it. Not sure if I am being clear but I know what I mean lol...

Delaware win over Navylast year is what boosted the Hens into the playoffs. This year it’s Penn State and The Hens won’t be making the playoffs

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 10th, 2023, 10:26 PM
South Carolina State at Charlotte: The 49ers figure to stink...
Central Connecticut State at Kent State: The Golden Flashes lost a quality head coach. Every year there's a MAC school that free falls to the point where they lose to a so-so at best FCS team. Kent State feels like that team in 2023....
Fordham at Buffalo: The Rams are going to be pretty good despite suffering heavy losses. Buffalo seems stuck in MAC mediocrity....
Southern Illinois at Northern Illinois: Who is the top dog in Illinois? I think the Salukis have a great shot to come out on top...
Idaho at Nevada: The Wolfpack are on a 10 game losing streak! I like a legitimately good Vandals team by 2 scores...
Richmond at Michigan State: The heat is already on Mel Tucker after a 5-7 season. I think Richmond can make this interesting for 4 quarters....
Southeast Louisiana at Mississippi State: What will the Bulldogs look like without Mike Leach? This is a dangerous game for Zach Arnett....
Southeast Louisiana at South Alabama: SELA again, this is an intriguing game between two teams who had good 2022 seasons.
Incarnate Word at UTEP: The Word should have a chance to leave West Texas with a "W".....

MUHAWKS
August 11th, 2023, 07:07 AM
Delaware win over Navylast year is what boosted the Hens into the playoffs. This year it’s Penn State and The Hens won’t be making the playoffs

I forgot that without that win it was a most likely no make. (fkin Nova)

caribbeanhen
August 11th, 2023, 07:10 AM
I forgot that without that win it was a most likely no make. (fkin Nova)

HAWKS

didn't realize Terrance Archer played for and later coached at Monmouth

Big Cats
August 11th, 2023, 10:52 AM
UNI over Iowa State on 9/3? A dozen or so Cyclones have been suspended for online sports betting including their starting QB. QB choices for the 'Clones are 2 walk-ons and a true freshman. Discuss.

FUBeAR
August 11th, 2023, 10:58 AM
UNI over Iowa State on 9/3? A dozen or so Cyclones have been suspended for online sports betting including their starting QB. QB choices for the 'Clones are 2 walk-ons and a true freshman. Discuss.
GO PANTHERS!

MUHAWKS
August 11th, 2023, 12:59 PM
HAWKS

didn't realize Terrance Archer played for and later coached at Monmouth

Played with him- Great dude.

The Yo Show
August 18th, 2023, 12:52 PM

I like your odds.

KPSUL
August 19th, 2023, 10:01 AM
I like your odds.

Might have been better odds had the 12 gamblers stayed and bet on UNI.

POD Knows
August 19th, 2023, 01:44 PM
If you don't win it will be pretty telling. Should be a coin flip without the stuff going on with ISU.

The Yo Show
August 20th, 2023, 10:36 AM
If you don't win it will be pretty telling. Should be a coin flip without the stuff going on with ISU.

Iowa State's defense should still be pretty decent, but this is a bad team. Massey is way off IMO with the #19th in FBS ranking for Iowa State... especially in light of this gambling scandal and losing 5 starters.

VandalBasher
August 21st, 2023, 08:12 PM
I am expecting for the Vandals to be favored before the game. A win? It will be tough to do so. But, Vegas will be betting heavy on Idaho.

*Define heavy? Vandals by -2.5.

Wolffan
August 22nd, 2023, 08:17 AM
By the time they play West Point (NOV 11, Veterans Day), Holy Cross may very well be favored over Army. But a scalp is a scalp.

Sader87
August 22nd, 2023, 11:48 AM
By the time they play West Point (NOV 11, Veterans Day), Holy Cross may very well be favored over Army. But a scalp is a scalp.

It's this kind of hubris amongst many HC fans now that I find worrying.

Reminds me when Sports Illustrated had HC hoop ranked #9 in the their preseason Top 20 issue in 1977 only for us to have an only so-so season that year.

caribbeanhen
August 22nd, 2023, 12:27 PM
It's this kind of hubris amongst many HC fans now that I find worrying.

Reminds me when Sports Illustrated had HC hoop ranked #9 in the their preseason Top 20 issue in 1977 only for us to have an only so-so season that year.

agree

JALMOND
September 1st, 2023, 01:10 PM
Close scalp. Game got over in the wee hours of the morning due to a 2-hour weather delay last night.

Arizona State 24,
Southern Utah 21

T-Birds blocked a punt and returned it for a touchdown with 7:44 left in the 4th, but never got the ball back as the Sun Devils ran the clock out.

wapiti
September 1st, 2023, 01:46 PM
Close scalp. Game got over in the wee hours of the morning due to a 2-hour weather delay last night.

Arizona State 24,
Southern Utah 21

T-Birds blocked a punt and returned it for a touchdown with 7:44 left in the 4th, but never got the ball back as the Sun Devils ran the clock out.

Wow!! 7:44 is a lot of time to burn off the clock.

MSUBobcat
September 1st, 2023, 01:50 PM

Arizona State 24,
Southern Utah 21

7:44 seemed like a long time to run out the clock, so I checked the play by play on ESPN to see how they wore down so much time. SUU DID get the ball back once. After the punt returned for a TD, SUU forced a punt after just 5 plays and 11 yards, calling for a fair catch at their own 40. They could only muster 3 yards on 3 plays, yielding possession back to ASU with 5:19, at which point they didn't give the ball back to the T-birds.

Former Sac State star Cameron Skattebo carried 17 times for 71 yards (4.2 ypc) and 1 TD.

caribbeanhen
September 1st, 2023, 04:15 PM
7:44 seemed like a long time to run out the clock, so I checked the play by play on ESPN to see how they wore down so much time. SUU DID get the ball back once. After the punt returned for a TD, SUU forced a punt after just 5 plays and 11 yards, calling for a fair catch at their own 40. They could only muster 3 yards on 3 plays, yielding possession back to ASU with 5:19, at which point they didn't give the ball back to the T-birds.

Former Sac State star Cameron Skattebo carried 17 times for 71 yards (4.2 ypc) and 1 TD.

thanks for the Skattebo update

ysubigred
September 1st, 2023, 07:51 PM
Maybe a bit early.. Mo State hanging with Kansas..

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

MUHAWKS
September 1st, 2023, 08:28 PM
HOWARD HANGING TOUGH

caribbeanhen
September 1st, 2023, 09:38 PM
HOWARD HANGING TOUGH

MU is smelling upset in the mouth of the rat Manana noche …. Shirden to the casa

bonarae
September 1st, 2023, 09:50 PM
Can I safely say that less than 10 scalps are attainable by the FCS this year?

ysubigred
September 1st, 2023, 09:53 PM
Maybe a bit early.. Mo State hanging with Kansas..

Sent from my SM-G990U using TapatalkOooppsie..

The Yo Show
September 1st, 2023, 10:31 PM

It's not looking good for more that's for sure 🫣

ElCid
September 1st, 2023, 11:53 PM

There are always obvious possible and likely ones, but there are usually one or two out of the blue.

Pards Rule
September 2nd, 2023, 07:36 AM
Pards at Duke Sept 9th??

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 2nd, 2023, 07:49 AM
Pards at Duke Sept 9th??

Duke is coming off a 9-4 season and return a potential first round draft pick at QB. They're much better than Temple was last year. If the 'Pards keep it within 24 I'll be surprised.

Pards Rule
September 2nd, 2023, 08:03 AM
Duke is coming off a 9-4 season and return a potential first round draft pick at QB. They're much better than Temple was last year. If the 'Pards keep it within 24 I'll be surprised.

ouch

Mike296
September 2nd, 2023, 04:31 PM
The only ones I see possibly happening this week are Maine vs FIU and UIW vs UTEP. FIU lost last week to a LA Tech team that just got beat by SMU 38-14. UTEP lost to our old friends in Jacksonville St. 17-14.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
September 2nd, 2023, 04:36 PM
The only ones I see possibly happening this week are Maine vs FIU and UIW vs UTEP. FIU lost last week to a LA Tech team that just got beat by SMU 38-14. UTEP lost to our old friends in Jacksonville St. 17-14.

You seen the G-W score? They looking good as well.

Mike296
September 2nd, 2023, 04:39 PM
You seen the G-W score? They looking good as well.

Did not see it until after I posted. They’re looking good too.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 2nd, 2023, 04:48 PM

I watched the FIU-La Tech game last week Both teams looked atrocious! FIU had about 6 yards passing late in the 4th and still had a chance to win.

UAalum72
September 2nd, 2023, 06:42 PM
Albany kicks 45-yd FG with 6 seconds left in the half. 3-0 Great Danes

UAalum72
September 2nd, 2023, 07:09 PM
Poff to Parker for six! Albany leads 10-0, 9:35 left in the third

caribbeanhen
September 2nd, 2023, 07:11 PM
Poff to Parker for six! Albany leads 10-0, 9:35 left in the third

Go Albany

MR. CHICKEN
September 2nd, 2023, 07:28 PM
BRAWK! xhypedx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 2nd, 2023, 07:29 PM
Go Albany

Fordham looks good tonight! Albany is trending towards a Top 20, maybe Top 15 ranking in my eyes....

UAalum72
September 2nd, 2023, 07:40 PM
Albany leads 17-14 after three

UAalum72
September 2nd, 2023, 07:44 PM
Marshall up 21-17, 12:53 left

UAalum72
September 2nd, 2023, 08:10 PM
Albany blocks a Herd FG. 2:33 left, 80 yds to go

UAalum72
September 2nd, 2023, 08:20 PM
Well, the drive dies at midfield, but I may enjoy next week in Hawaii more than I thought I would

caribbeanhen
September 2nd, 2023, 08:31 PM
Well, the drive dies at midfield, but I may enjoy next week in Hawaii more than I thought I would

Have fun

maybe you’ll even bring back a win

bonarae
September 2nd, 2023, 09:59 PM
0-fer still… hopefully our still-playing brethren take charge for us.

skinny_uncle
September 2nd, 2023, 11:37 PM
0-fer still… hopefully our still-playing brethren take charge for us.

It is only a matter of time. Wait until next week.

Utgrizfan
September 3rd, 2023, 01:30 AM
Idaho State makes SDSU sweat but lose 36-28, the Bengals may be better then anyone expected

Pards Rule
September 3rd, 2023, 06:43 AM

You should - tremendous showing by the Danes. Im a good friend with a UA alum who played for them. I have a special place in my heart for the Herd as I have been to Huntington WV a few times back in mid 2000s for biz and saw the Warner Bros jet parked at HTS airport and in the local paper a call for folks to bring pre 1970s cars and 60s fashions I presume for the street scene in We Are Marshall where the fans go to the first game after the crash. I saw the movie and was like "hey I smoked a cigar or three in that park by the river, i drove under that train overpass", etc. My mother told me she scraped together money to send for a memorial to be built, with a young family that year.

Houndawg
September 3rd, 2023, 04:15 PM
It is only a matter of time. Wait until next week.

NIU just upset BC on the road and next week they go to Nebraska.....right where we want them xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
September 3rd, 2023, 08:43 PM
What games are there left? Honestly, this weekend makes me think we're in a phase where the P5 and a lot of FBS has elevated its game. It probably won't be like this forever, but the game of football has evolved to where athletes make a bigger difference than scheme (at least relative to a decade a go)

bonarae
September 3rd, 2023, 08:47 PM
https://herosports.com/fcs-football-vs-fbs-games-2023-bzbz/ - scroll down to Week 2.

Saturday, Sept. 9
Grambling State at LSU
Furman at South Carolina
Southeastern Louisiana University at South Alabama
Tennessee Tech at New Mexico
Southern Illinois at Northern Illinois
SC State at Georgia Tech
Richmond at Michigan State
Texas Southern at Toledo
Portland State at Wyoming
Northwestern State at Louisiana Tech
Youngstown State at Ohio State
Wagner at Navy
UC Davis at Oregon State
UAlbany at Hawaii
Nicholls at TCU
New Hampshire at Central Michigan
Delaware State at Army
Fordham at Buffalo
Florida A&M at USF
Eastern Washington at Fresno State
Eastern Kentucky at Kentucky
Eastern Illinois at Bowling Green
Duquesne at West Virginia
Delaware at Penn State
Southern Utah at BYU
Charleston Southern at Clemson
Cal Poly at San Jose State
Austin Peay at Tennessee
Houston Christian at WKU
Lafayette at Duke
Morgan State at Akron
McNeese at Florida
Lamar at Louisiana–Monroe
Holy Cross at Boston College
Idaho State at Utah State
Idaho at Nevada
Indiana State at Indiana
Murray State at Louisville

Reign of Terrier
September 3rd, 2023, 08:51 PM
https://herosports.com/fcs-football-vs-fbs-games-2023-bzbz/ - scroll down to Week 2.

Saturday, Sept. 9
Southeastern Louisiana University at South Alabama
Tennessee Tech at New Mexico
Southern Illinois at Northern Illinois
UAlbany at Hawaii
New Hampshire at Central Michigan
Florida A&M at USF
Holy Cross at Boston College
Idaho State at Utah State

These would be my best guesses for upsets. And even then, I have no idea how good any of these FBS teams are

NY Crusader 2010
September 4th, 2023, 06:24 AM
These would be my best guesses for upsets. And even then, I have no idea how good any of these FBS teams are

I like the SIU over NIU potential pick. Huskies riding high after their OT win at P5 opponent BC. Maybe Salukis catch them off guard.

If I were to lock in one pick, I'd go with UNH over CMU. I think Albany can hang as well, just a matter of the after-effects of a 6,000 mile trip, and the distractions of being in beautiful Hawaii. The Rainbow Warriors also will be motivated to bring home a W for their home state currently reeling from the Maui wild-fires.

I also have no idea how South Alabama and USF started this season but, if they're meh within their respective conferences, I could see SELA and FAMU having a shot. Idaho-Nevada should be pretty much a toss-up.

Holy Cross-BC => probably the one chance in my lifetime to MAYBE see Holy Cross have a fighting chance to hang with the Eagles for 60 minutes. My post-Merrimack diagnosis is that the biggest challenge will be our inexperienced defense v. BC offense. If BC can confidently throw the ball down the field and run toss / outside zone plays on the ground, they should pile up enough points to win by at least a couple scores. Our defense has several very experienced star players (LB Dobbs, DB Haskins & Spence) but they are overall extremely young, especially the D-Line. I'm confident our offensive line will play effective enough hat-on-hat football for us to put together a few productive drives. Our WR2 from last year is playing a grad year at Wyoming, and his ability to stretch the field alongside our WR1 (Coker), would've helped us in a game like this. To keep it close heading into the 4th quarter, we will need to win the turnover battle or parlay a blocked kick into points. And Sluka will need to have a game like he did against Buffalo or SDSU last year. We have one of the best punters in FCS but our placekicker has yet to attempt a college FG, so unproven there.

caribbeanhen
September 4th, 2023, 06:58 AM
What games are there left? Honestly, this weekend makes me think we're in a phase where the P5 and a lot of FBS has elevated its game. It probably won't be like this forever, but the game of football has evolved to where athletes make a bigger difference than scheme (at least relative to a decade a go)

I had some similar thoughts swirling about the state of FCS. Thanks for putting it into words a little bit.

I fully realize the best teams in FCS did not play FBS this past weekend but so many teams seemed completely overwhelmed, more so than usual. Also, Div 2 teams either beating or being very competitive in their FCS matchups.

Montana beware of the D2 champs

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2023, 07:39 AM
I had some similar thoughts swirling about the state of FCS. Thanks for putting it into words a little bit.

I fully realize the best teams in FCS did not play FBS this past weekend but so many teams seemed completely overwhelmed, more so than usual. Also, Div 2 teams either beating or being very competitive in their FCS matchups.

Montana beware of the D2 champs
Feelin’ what y’all are saying - Wondering if we’re seeing the combination of an accumulation of talent, almost like a pooling effect - that has been heavily accentuated by the Portal, NIL, and CovidExtraYear all at once - that will, to some degree, ‘seek its level’ after the CovidExtraYear washes out. Looking at rosters, these Teams haven’t only consolidated Talent - some of it (but not that much) coming from FCS - but are also VERY OLD (in a good way). GR’s and R-SR’s seem to dominate the 2-Deeps.

Thinking we’ll see some normalizing once CovidExtraYear’s wash thru … and some restrictions on the Portal & NIL could come down the pike.

But - seems the gap has widened - and FUBeAR don’t care - still no interest in following/watching fake College / Professional Football … NONE.

Reign of Terrier
September 4th, 2023, 08:31 AM
I think the proliferation of the spread, and defenses after a decade understanding how to stop it (at least conceptually) and having the athletes to do it is also a big reason why we're seeing these big discrepancies. FBS has always had more super talented players. What Clemson and Bama were doing to the FBS in the late 2010s seems to be trickling down to the rest of Power 5. I don't think G5 has the capability of catching up in the same way, but P5 smacked not just FCS yesterday, but some G5 too. Like, look at Oklahoma, Miami, Washington, and others.

I wouldn't bet that no FCS team will get a scalp this year, but I would bet it'll be a low for recent years.

bonarae
September 4th, 2023, 08:41 AM
I wouldn't bet that no FCS team will get a scalp this year, but I would bet it'll be a low for recent years.

I'm afraid the number will be low for a few more years. Maybe once realignment has trickled down, the number of scalps will stabilize. xprayx

Reign of Terrier
September 4th, 2023, 09:03 AM
I'm afraid the number will be low for a few more years. Maybe once realignment has trickled down, the number of scalps will stabilize. xprayx

Honestly, I think we may get to a point where the P5 or P4 doesn't schedule FCS games anymore (or extremely rarely) as they number of conference games uniformly goes up to 9. There will still be lots of G5 teams that needs FCS games, and there will always be political pressure in some states to support these smaller schools by the bigger schools through hosting football games, but I think we will see a downward trend. At that point, I think games with the G5 and FCS will be more competitive.

JacksFan40
September 4th, 2023, 10:30 AM
I’d pick Idaho over Nevada before any of these.

Tribal
September 4th, 2023, 10:51 AM
W&M @ UVA in a few weeks should be close

Houndawg
September 4th, 2023, 02:45 PM
I like the SIU over NIU potential pick. Huskies riding high after their OT win at P5 opponent BC. Maybe Salukis catch them off guard.

If I were to lock in one pick, I'd go with UNH over CMU. I think Albany can hang as well, just a matter of the after-effects of a 6,000 mile trip, and the distractions of being in beautiful Hawaii. The Rainbow Warriors also will be motivated to bring home a W for their home state currently reeling from the Maui wild-fires.

I also have no idea how South Alabama and USF started this season but, if they're meh within their respective conferences, I could see SELA and FAMU having a shot.

Holy Cross-BC => probably the one chance in my lifetime to MAYBE see Holy Cross have a fighting chance to hang with the Eagles for 60 minutes. My post-Merrimack diagnosis is that the biggest challenge will be our inexperienced defense v. BC offense. If BC can confidently throw the ball down the field and run toss / outside zone plays on the ground, they should pile up enough points to win by at least a couple scores. Our defense has several very experienced star players (LB Dobbs, DB Haskins & Spence) but they are overall extremely young, especially the D-Line. I'm confident our offensive line will play effective enough hat-on-hat football for us to put together a few productive drives. Our WR2 from last year is playing a grad year at Wyoming, and his ability to stretch the field alongside our WR1 (Coker), would've helped us in a game like this. To keep it close heading into the 4th quarter, we will need to win the turnover battle or parlay a blocked kick into points. And Sluka will need to have a game like he did against Buffalo or SDSU last year. We have one of the best punters in FCS but our placekicker has yet to attempt a college FG, so unproven there.

And NIU goes to Nebraska next - SIU is in a great position in NIU's schedule for the upset. We'll need a couple of TOs and 400+ passing

ysubigred
September 4th, 2023, 03:01 PM
And NIU goes to Nebraska next - SIU is in a great position in NIU's schedule for the upset. We'll need a couple of TOs and 400+ passingAustin pee was way overrated or yous guys are bad ass go get em DAWGS [emoji106]

JALMOND
September 4th, 2023, 03:47 PM
I’d pick Idaho over Nevada before any of these.

I would say, after seeing both Idaho and Nevada, that game may be the best chance out of the rest of them this weekend.

wmmii
September 4th, 2023, 04:30 PM
W&M @ UVA in a few weeks should be close

+1

crusader11
September 4th, 2023, 04:32 PM
Here are seven very realistic FCS over FBS games. I'll order them in order of confidence.

Idaho v. Nevada
Southern Illinois v. Northern Illinois
New Hampshire v. Central Michigan
Holy Cross v. Boston College
Albany v. Hawaii
FAMU v. South Florida
Eastern Illinois v. Bowling Green

skinny_uncle
September 4th, 2023, 04:46 PM
South Carolina State at Charlotte: The 49ers figure to stink...
Central Connecticut State at Kent State: The Golden Flashes lost a quality head coach. Every year there's a MAC school that free falls to the point where they lose to a so-so at best FCS team. Kent State feels like that team in 2023....
Fordham at Buffalo: The Rams are going to be pretty good despite suffering heavy losses. Buffalo seems stuck in MAC mediocrity....
Southern Illinois at Northern Illinois: Who is the top dog in Illinois? I think the Salukis have a great shot to come out on top...
Idaho at Nevada: The Wolfpack are on a 10 game losing streak! I like a legitimately good Vandals team by 2 scores...
Richmond at Michigan State: The heat is already on Mel Tucker after a 5-7 season. I think Richmond can make this interesting for 4 quarters....
Southeast Louisiana at Mississippi State: What will the Bulldogs look like without Mike Leach? This is a dangerous game for Zach Arnett....
Southeast Louisiana at South Alabama: SELA again, this is an intriguing game between two teams who had good 2022 seasons.
Incarnate Word at UTEP: The Word should have a chance to leave West Texas with a "W".....

I like the SIU pick. The Salukis have beat NIU more than any other FBS.

KPSUL
September 4th, 2023, 04:52 PM
I like the SIU pick. The Salukis have beat NIU more than any other FBS.

I agree, and wonder why it hasn't been included on all the FCS over FBS lists.

OhioHen
September 5th, 2023, 10:23 AM
I agree, and wonder why it hasn't been included on all the FCS over FBS lists.
Because people saw NIU and unintentionally transposed it to UNI - not an FCS-FBS game but an MVFC league game.

skinny_uncle
September 9th, 2023, 05:39 PM
SIU 14 NIU 11.
We have a scalp.

KPSUL
September 9th, 2023, 06:01 PM
SIU 14 NIU 11.
We have a scalp.

Congratulations to the the Salukis !xnodxxbowx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2023, 06:13 PM
SIU 14 NIU 11.
We have a scalp.

Congrats!

Sitting Bull
September 9th, 2023, 06:29 PM
SIU 14 NIU 11.
We have a scalp.

Yeah!!!
Congrats to the Salukis.

bonarae
September 9th, 2023, 07:01 PM
SIU 14 NIU 11.
We have a scalp.

Finally! Can the other teams get more in the coming weeks?

The Yo Show
September 9th, 2023, 07:15 PM
Congratulations Salukis! I expected you to win.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2023, 07:53 PM
Idaho 17 Nevada 6 14:13 3Q

Nevada is dreadful! This has all the makings of another scalp!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2023, 08:03 PM
Fordham 40 Buffalo 37 2:32 4Q
Morgan State 21 Akron 17 10:07 4Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2023, 08:11 PM
Fordham 40 Buffalo 37 Final!!

Two straight wins over the Bulls for the PL!!

ElCid
September 9th, 2023, 08:11 PM
Scalp #2. Good job SIU and now Fordham.

crusader11
September 9th, 2023, 08:19 PM
Great job, Fordham! Come a long way in a short time since the opener at Albany.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2023, 08:25 PM
Morgan State 21 Akron 17 0:59 4Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2023, 08:26 PM
Akron with a scoop and score TD!! OMG!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2023, 08:36 PM
Not sure who had the most heartbreaking loss; Morgan State, Holy Cross or UNH...

So close to FCS dominating the MAC.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2023, 09:08 PM
Idaho 33 Nevada 6 Final

Total domination by the Vandals!

UAalum72
September 10th, 2023, 12:39 AM
Last second FG,Albany ties Hawaii at the half, 17-17

UAalum72
September 10th, 2023, 01:43 AM
After 3 Hawaii leads 24-20

Fordham
September 10th, 2023, 09:07 AM
After 3 Hawaii leads 24-20
Another good showing. Our loss to you guys looking better as you continue to play. Hey, the word is that your HC didn’t make the trip. Is that true? If so, is he ok?

NY Crusader 2010
September 10th, 2023, 09:24 AM
Congrats Fordham!!!

Our game may end up being the most hyped football game at Rose Hill in decades. I seriously think the school should consider bringing in temp bleachers for behind the visitors' bench for the Holy Cross game.

And I think you guys will be a tough matchup for us this year. If we played next week in the Bronx, I'd have the game as a total coin flip.

No matter how things shake out, fingers crossed we both find our way into the postseason again!

NY Crusader 2010
September 10th, 2023, 09:27 AM
Fordham 40 Buffalo 37 Final!!

Two straight wins over the Bulls for the PL!!

I think the PL has won something like 4 out of the last 5 games against the Bulls.

Fordham and HC back-to-back. Colgate's 2003 team dominated Buffalo, who was a MAC doormat back then. And Lehigh also beat them at least once in the early 2000's -- 2002 I believe.

crusader11
September 10th, 2023, 09:34 AM
I think the PL has won something like 4 out of the last 5 games against the Bulls.

Fordham and HC back-to-back. Colgate's 2003 team dominated Buffalo, who was a MAC doormat back then. And Lehigh also beat them at least once in the early 2000's -- 2002 I believe.

Will Lafayette make it three straight against Buffalo next year?

UAalum72
September 10th, 2023, 12:57 PM
Another good showing. Our loss to you guys looking better as you continue to play. Hey, the word is that your HC didn’t make the trip. Is that true? If so, is he ok?
"undisclosed illness", he texted "No need for specifics (about his illness),"

NY Crusader 2010
September 10th, 2023, 01:05 PM
Will Lafayette make it three straight against Buffalo next year?

Possibly 3 in a row and a Lafayette win would make the Bulls 1-5 all time against the Patriot League as an FBS program.

ElCid
September 15th, 2023, 02:35 PM
Interesting article on Hero Sports about multiple FBS scalps by one team in a season. Glad they included my Bulldogs. But too bad the article is wrong in the number of teams that have done it, big time wrong. Come on guys, do a little bit of research!

https://herosports.com/fcs-teams-beat-fbs-opponents-twice-one-year-bzbz/

It says it only happened three times. I guess they don't count YSU doing it four times, once with three scalps in a season. OK, it was against MAC teams, but still, IA/FBS. They did it in 87, 89, 90, and 93. Sure, the late 70s and a lot of the early 80s had teams bouncing between IA and IAA, but in the years listed the MAC teams and YSU were established in their respective subdivisions. I may have missed someone else, but this was glaringly wrong. There were some transitioning teams I saw as well that they didn't list. I get that. I usually use around 85 as the cutoff for the churn of the mass reclassification. Anyone else see any?

JALMOND
September 15th, 2023, 04:20 PM
Interesting article on Hero Sports about multiple FBS scalps by one team in a season. Glad they included my Bulldogs. But too bad the article is wrong in the number of teams that have done it, big time wrong. Come on guys, do a little bit of research!

https://herosports.com/fcs-teams-beat-fbs-opponents-twice-one-year-bzbz/

It says it only happened three times. I guess they don't count YSU doing it four times, once with three scalps in a season. OK, it was against MAC teams, but still, IA/FBS. They did it in 87, 89, 90, and 93. Sure, the late 70s and a lot of the early 80s had teams bouncing between IA and IAA, but in the years listed the MAC teams and YSU were established in their respective subdivisions. I may have missed someone else, but this was glaringly wrong. There were some transitioning teams I saw as well that they didn't list. I get that. I usually use around 85 as the cutoff for the churn of the mass reclassification. Anyone else see any?

Can Idaho get it this year? Cal hasn't done much lately in the Pac-12 and the Vandals looked really good last week over Nevada. But Cal has never lost to the FCS. It should be interesting.

ElCid
September 15th, 2023, 04:36 PM
Can Idaho get it this year? Cal hasn't done much lately in the Pac-12 and the Vandals looked really good last week over Nevada. But Cal has never lost to the FCS. It should be interesting.

Pac12??? You mean Pac 3??

ElCid
September 15th, 2023, 04:43 PM

But to answer your question, yeah they could and it would be awesome.

ngineer
September 15th, 2023, 08:50 PM

Correct, I think Lembo's second season. Score was something like 36-19. A very convincing win. No fluke.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 15th, 2023, 09:22 PM
Just watched Army beat a good UTSA team in Texas, HC is going to have a helluva time with the Black Knights....

crusader11
September 15th, 2023, 09:58 PM
Just watched Army beat a good UTSA team in Texas, HC is going to have a helluva time with the Black Knights....

Going to be a tougher game than BC, IMO. They are a much tougher and mentally tougher than undisciplined BC.

Be interesting how Army does against BC in a few weeks.

Utgrizfan
September 16th, 2023, 04:03 PM
Idaho up on CAL 17-0 9 minutes in the 2nd quarter

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 16th, 2023, 08:48 PM
Sacramento State 17 Stanford 14 Half

OhioHen
September 16th, 2023, 09:06 PM
Idaho up on CAL 17-0 9 minutes in the 2nd quarter

Sacramento State 17 Stanford 14 Half
No wonder the rest of the Pac-12 wanted to get away from those two schools!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 16th, 2023, 09:29 PM
Sacramento State 20 Stanford 17 End of 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 16th, 2023, 10:05 PM
Sacramento State 23 Stanford 23 2:50 4Q

Chalupa Batman
September 16th, 2023, 10:11 PM
Sacramento State 23 Stanford 23 2:50 4Q

It's bad enough I can't watch this game, but the gamecast isn't keeping things up date either.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 16th, 2023, 10:11 PM
Sacramento State just scored!

Sac State 30 Stanford 23 1:32 4Q

The Yo Show
September 16th, 2023, 10:19 PM
Game! Sac State wins

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 16th, 2023, 10:21 PM
Sacramento State 30 Stanford 23 Final!

A P5 Scalp! Well done!

Mike296
September 16th, 2023, 10:39 PM
I wasn’t high on Sac State this year but even I have to admit that they may be better than I expected. Congrats Sac State!

bonarae
September 17th, 2023, 12:01 AM
I wasn’t high on Sac State this year but even I have to admit that they may be better than I expected. Congrats Sac State!

Maybe the Causeway Classic will be another one worthy of its name this season...

Sitting Bull
October 4th, 2023, 05:40 PM
W&M at Virginia this weekend. Not sure if there are any other match-ups this weekend. There’s always a shot though it would be be I think a long shot here despite UVA coming in 0-5. Three of their losses were by 3 points or less (NC State, BC and JMU).

The CAA has one more shot after this game - a longer shot - Campbell playing at UNC later this month. Since 2000, the CAA has picked up at least one FBS scalp in all but four years.

UVA leads the series 31-6-1. The last Tribe win was 2009, 26-14, when W&M forced 7 turnovers. Massey has this years game at 33-14 UVA. Game is being televised on the ACC network at 12 noon.

Green Cookie Monster
October 4th, 2023, 07:17 PM
No wonder the rest of the Pac-12 wanted to get away from those two schools!

Sac State beat Colorado and Oregon State in the last decade. Slowly adding all the PAC-? scalps.

MR. CHICKEN
October 5th, 2023, 09:59 PM
W&M at Virginia this weekend. Not sure if there are any other match-ups this weekend. There’s always a shot though it would be be I think a long shot here despite UVA coming in 0-5. Three of their losses were by 3 points or less (NC State, BC and JMU).

The CAA has one more shot after this game - a longer shot - Campbell playing at UNC later this month. Since 2000, the CAA has picked up at least one FBS scalp in all but four years.

UVA leads the series 31-6-1. The last Tribe win was 2009, 26-14, when W&M forced 7 turnovers. Massey has this years game at 33-14 UVA. Game is being televised on the ACC network at 12 noon.

HOWARD @ NORTHWESTERN

caribbeanhen
October 6th, 2023, 08:29 PM
FCS is 21-7 vs D2

2023-08-31 @Kennesaw 38 Tusculum 7
2023-08-31 @Morehead St 37 WV State 35
2023-08-31 @Samford 69 Shorter 14
2023-08-31 @Charleston So 13 North Greenville 10
2023-08-31 @S Dakota St 45 W Oregon 7
2023-08-31 @Weber St 35 C Washington 10
2023-09-02 @Central Conn 44 American Intl 0
2023-09-02 Bowie St 22 @Delaware St 11
2023-09-02 @Duquesne 49 Edinboro 7
2023-09-02 @NC Central 47 W Salem St 21
2023-09-02 Central St OH 24 MS Valley St 21 Chicago IL
2023-09-02 @St Thomas MN 36 Black Hills St 26
2023-09-02 Virginia St 33 @Norfolk St 24
2023-09-08 Barton 33 @Davidson 31
2023-09-09 @Bethune-Cookman 31 Savannah St 6
2023-09-09 @ETSU 42 Carson-Newman 0
2023-09-09 @Howard 65 Morehouse 19
2023-09-09 @Alabama A&M 51 Lane 13
2023-09-09 @Dayton 62 Central St OH 24
2023-09-09 CO Mesa 28 @San Diego 21 O1
2023-09-09 Miles 21 @Alabama St 17
2023-09-16 @Florida A&M 31 West Florida 10
2023-09-16 @Delta St 35 MS Valley St 7
2023-09-16 @Montana 17 Ferris St 10
2023-09-16 @Ark Pine Bluff 21 Miles 20
2023-09-23 @Tarleton St 27 SW Baptist 13
2023-09-30 @Alabama A&M 58 Tuskegee 3
2023-09-30 @Valparaiso 16 SW Minnesota 15
2023-11-18 Post 0 @Wagner 0 Sch
2023-11-23 Tuskegee 0 @Alabama St 0 Sch

And sadly
4-104 vs FBS

Thats 4 wins and 104 losses
Massey Ratings - Inter-conference Results for College Football 2023 (https://masseyratings.com/inter?s=539277&sub=11605)

FUBeAR
October 6th, 2023, 09:52 PM
FCS is 21-7 vs D2

2023-08-31 @Kennesaw 38 Tusculum 7
2023-08-31 @Morehead St 37 WV State 35
2023-08-31 @Samford 69 Shorter 14
2023-08-31 @Charleston So 13 North Greenville 10
2023-08-31 @S Dakota St 45 W Oregon 7
2023-08-31 @Weber St 35 C Washington 10
2023-09-02 @Central Conn 44 American Intl 0
2023-09-02 Bowie St 22 @Delaware St 11
2023-09-02 @Duquesne 49 Edinboro 7
2023-09-02 @NC Central 47 W Salem St 21
2023-09-02 Central St OH 24 MS Valley St 21 Chicago IL
2023-09-02 @St Thomas MN 36 Black Hills St 26
2023-09-02 Virginia St 33 @Norfolk St 24
2023-09-08 Barton 33 @Davidson 31
2023-09-09 @Bethune-Cookman 31 Savannah St 6
2023-09-09 @ETSU 42 Carson-Newman 0
2023-09-09 @Howard 65 Morehouse 19
2023-09-09 @Alabama A&M 51 Lane 13
2023-09-09 @Dayton 62 Central St OH 24
2023-09-09 CO Mesa 28 @San Diego 21 O1
2023-09-09 Miles 21 @Alabama St 17
2023-09-16 @Florida A&M 31 West Florida 10
2023-09-16 @Delta St 35 MS Valley St 7
2023-09-16 @Montana 17 Ferris St 10
2023-09-16 @Ark Pine Bluff 21 Miles 20
2023-09-23 @Tarleton St 27 SW Baptist 13
2023-09-30 @Alabama A&M 58 Tuskegee 3
2023-09-30 @Valparaiso 16 SW Minnesota 15
2023-11-18 Post 0 @Wagner 0 Sch
2023-11-23 Tuskegee 0 @Alabama St 0 Sch

And sadly
4-104 vs FBS

Thats 4 wins and 104 losses
Massey Ratings - Inter-conference Results for College Football 2023 (https://masseyratings.com/inter?s=539277&sub=11605)
7 D2 losses - Montana, 5 HBCU’s, and 2 Non-Schollies…wait, that’s 8…oh yeah, Big Sky Montana pulled a D2 win out…barely.

FUBeAR gets why the non-schollies might lose to a D2, but why are 5 FCS HBCU Teams losing to D2 HBCU Teams?

caribbeanhen
October 6th, 2023, 10:30 PM
7 D2 losses - Montana, 5 HBCU’s, and 2 Non-Schollies…wait, that’s 8…oh yeah, Big Sky Montana pulled a D2 win out…barely.

FUBeAR gets why the non-schollies might lose to a D2, but why are 5 FCS HBCU Teams losing to D2 HBCU Teams?

better players at D2 ?

Sitting Bull
October 8th, 2023, 08:36 AM
Close but no cigar:

Northwestern 23, Howard 20
Cats held after leading 23-7

Virginia 27, W&M 13
Tribe led early 13-3

bonarae
November 7th, 2023, 12:21 AM
With four "money games" left in this season, do the FCS teams have any more left for scalps?

MR. CHICKEN
November 7th, 2023, 07:21 AM
]With four "money games" left in this season, do the FCS teams have any more left for scalps?[/B]

11/11
HOLY CROSS @ ARMY...........................MAYBE......... EDIT TA NOPE.......NOT 'NUFF MONTE CARLO NIGHTS.....TA PREPARE..........................BRAWK!

11/18
ABILENE CHRISTIAN @ TEXAS A&M........NOPE
CHATTANOOGA @ ALABAMA..................NOPE
N. ALABAMA @ FLORIDA STATE.............NOPE

SeattleCat
November 7th, 2023, 09:10 AM

Academic & admission standards might be lower at D2? Therefore giving them an edge picking up good players with not so good grades.