PDA

View Full Version : The CAA Today: Weeks Eleven & Twelve – Five Left Standing! <---CSN

CSN-info
November 15th, 2007, 01:17 PM
The CAA Today: Weeks Eleven & Twelve – Five Left Standing!
Bruce Dowd, CSN columnist

There is only one automatic bid still remaining to be determined and I'll give you three guesses which conference that is. Richmond and Massachusetts now have the inside track assuming they don't both lose next week, which is highly unlikely and it seems that the tie breaker might come down to a conference call and vote from all the other coaches. As predicted, UMass knocked New Hampshire out of the playoff running and now there are only five of the CAA-Super Six still standing. Also, as expected, many of the at large playoff hopefuls in the country were eliminated last week.

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89044

CSN-info
November 15th, 2007, 01:30 PM
weekly cartoon:
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writers/dowd/2007/Cartoon3-600w.jpg

CSN-info
November 15th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Dowd's bracket:
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writers/dowd/2007/bracket.jpg

appfan2008
November 15th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Dowd's bracket:

well shoot i could live with that prediction!!!

danefan
November 15th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Good article.

I know its a CAA-based piece but to include Alabama A&M and Norfolk state as possibilities (even as long shots) and not Dayton and Albany doesn't make much sense.

Since you folks love the GPI so much:
34. Dayton
42. Albany
46. Alabama A&M
59. Norfolk State

Massey Strength of Schedule:

66. Albany
80. Norfolk State
94. Alabama A&M
104. Dayton

And yes I know its not likely that any of these four teams will get an at-large, but if you're going to discuss it at all, why not complete the discussion?

URMite
November 15th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Good article.

I know its a CAA-based piece but to include Alabama A&M and Norfolk state as possibilities (even as long shots) and not Dayton and Albany doesn't make much sense.

Since you folks love the GPI so much:
34. Dayton
42. Albany
46. Alabama A&M
59. Norfolk State

Massey Strength of Schedule:

66. Albany
80. Norfolk State
94. Alabama A&M
104. Dayton

And yes I know its not likely that any of these four teams will get an at-large, but if you're going to discuss it at all, why not complete the discussion?

Better idea -

JMU/EWU/EIU that he has in but need to win to be 8-3.
GSU/Hofstra both can be 8-3 if they win.

but below that using only the computer portion of the GPI (just to list them):

29 Dayton
31 Colgate
34 Albany
38 Alabama A&M
48 Norfolk St

The top 3 could definitely change after Saturday.

To me it looks like ASU, SIU, UD, and (UR/UMass non AQ) are in
then 5 teams for four spots with Hofstra out if they all win.
But if they all lose? (I know it's a long shot, but then what?)

appstate38
November 15th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Is there no way to work the CAA schedule to allow for a possible Championship game between the North and South Divisions. It would seem to be more simple, at least on paper. I realize that it would add a potential extra game on somebody's schedule right before the playoffs. But that almost has to be a better option that the cluster, the AD's are about to walk into.

URMite
November 15th, 2007, 03:29 PM
JMU plays 90 minutes after UR & UMass so they should know whether they are out of the AQ by halftime.

Grizzaholic
November 15th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Dowd's bracket:

OK, I give, is it april fools day, national joke day? Why am I laughing at that board so much.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 15th, 2007, 03:37 PM
JMU won't really care about any other scores than the one vs. Towson. They win, they should be in. If the AQ falls into their lap by some small miracle, so be it. But I think that idea is last on almost every JMU fan's mind, so it has to be even more of a fleeting thought in the minds of the players and coaches.

I do agree that Dayton and Albany are more deserving than Norfolk St. and Alabama A&M. Still, I think none of these make it without everything going their way on Saturday.

Dowd's brackets look about right to me, of course, no way that the Selection Committee doesn't do SOMETHING wacky this year. They always do (just remember Laffayette picked over YSU)! xnodx

Unlike last year, JMU fans will be happy just to be playing next week. Location really does not matter this year. xthumbsupx

GannonFan
November 15th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Is there no way to work the CAA schedule to allow for a possible Championship game between the North and South Divisions. It would seem to be more simple, at least on paper. I realize that it would add a potential extra game on somebody's schedule right before the playoffs. But that almost has to be a better option that the cluster, the AD's are about to walk into.

Does it really matter who wins the autobid from the CAA? Rarely, if ever, will the autobid from the CAA go to a team that isn't already going to be in the playoffs. Deciding who has the autobid is more of a formal exercise, but all the teams in contention will be in the playoffs anyway and seeding is not affected by who claims the autobid.

URMite
November 16th, 2007, 01:28 AM
JMU won't really care about any other scores than the one vs. Towson. They win, they should be in. If the AQ falls into their lap by some small miracle, so be it. But I think that idea is last on almost every JMU fan's mind, so it has to be even more of a fleeting thought in the minds of the players and coaches.

I do agree that Dayton and Albany are more deserving than Norfolk St. and Alabama A&M. Still, I think none of these make it without everything going their way on Saturday.

Dowd's brackets look about right to me, of course, no way that the Selection Committee doesn't do SOMETHING wacky this year. They always do (just remember Laffayette picked over YSU)! xnodx

Unlike last year, JMU fans will be happy just to be playing next week. Location really does not matter this year. xthumbsupx

I agree you should be in at 8-3, but there is a chance for 5 or so 8-3s looking at 4 spots. No reason you are not high on that list but if you have the chance to take it out of the committee's hands, I would think you would want to. I know I would.

But all the AQ really means is a little more peace of mind for 24 hours.xthumbsupx

I still think if Colgate wins they will get more consideration than Dayton/Albany whether they deserve it or not.

I can't believe I'm actually rooting for you guys and GSU, but it would be interesting to have so many past winner in this year.

PurpleandGold
November 16th, 2007, 06:57 AM
The thing is that we don't have the chance to take it out of the committee's hand, all we have the chance to do is beat Towson, which is no given. They're still a good team in a bad year. I just hope they don't have a randomly great game, or a randomly great last minute of the game.

I thought about rooting for Hofstra and W&M, but Hofstra is probably the only other 8-3 we could be bumped for, assuming the committee wanted balance between CAA North and South more than it wanted the 8 best at-large (nothing personal Hofstra, but based on SOS, quality wins, and common opponents, JMU is the better team this year) so I'd rather UMASS make that point moot.

EDIT: UMASS has to beat Hofstra to make them 8-3. I still think JMU has an argument over a 9-2 Hofstra with no FBS games, but the committee wouldn't likely accept that.

andy7171
November 16th, 2007, 07:28 AM
If Colgate wins, they get in before Albany. Albany lost to Colgate in week 1.

danefan
November 16th, 2007, 07:30 AM
I agree you should be in at 8-3, but there is a chance for 5 or so 8-3s looking at 4 spots. No reason you are not high on that list but if you have the chance to take it out of the committee's hands, I would think you would want to. I know I would.

But all the AQ really means is a little more peace of mind for 24 hours.xthumbsupx

I still think if Colgate wins they will get more consideration than Dayton/Albany whether they deserve it or not.

I can't believe I'm actually rooting for you guys and GSU, but it would be interesting to have so many past winner in this year.

I agree with you that if it comes down to Colgate, Albany & Dayton, I think Colgate gets it. Dayton's SOS will kill them and while Colgate and Albany will have very similar seasons, Colgate beat Albany head-to-head and that should give them the nod. Although it will be interesting to see how the committee interprets the results from the common opponent in Fordham. If the Colgate win over Albany was more of dominating win (2pts on a saftey which Albany created themselves) I think the head-to-head would weigh more. But no excuses, head-to-head SHOULD win out.

But a ton of teams need to lose on Saturday for either to get consideration in my opinion.

Uncle Buck
November 16th, 2007, 08:11 AM
...assuming the committee wanted balance between CAA North and South more than it wanted the 8 best at-large (nothing personal Hofstra, but based on SOS, quality wins, and common opponents, JMU is the better team this year)...
EDIT: UMASS has to beat Hofstra to make them 8-3....

No offense taken, i think JMU hands down has a better all around team. Also, HU already has three losses after *****ting the bed against nova and n'eastern. IMO, i thought we had to go 9-2 at worst to make it and at 8-3we were a very long shot. Either way, i want the win against UMass just so we could build confidence in our younger players and re-establish ourselves as a tough out in this league. From 2-9 last season, i'm very happy with the season, anything more would be icing on the cake.

AZGrizFan
November 16th, 2007, 08:26 AM
OK, I give, is it april fools day, national joke day? Why am I laughing at that board so much.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I laughed too, Grizz. I laughed too.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say with 99% certainty that ASU will NOT threepeat. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx xpeacex

Syntax Error
November 16th, 2007, 08:38 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say with 99% certainty that ASU will NOT threepeat.I'm gonna go out on a limb and say with 99% certainty that you have seen ASU play at the most ONCE this season. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx xpeacex

The Moody1
November 16th, 2007, 08:43 AM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say with 99% certainty that ASU will NOT threepeat. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx xpeacex

I guess sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying.

You had better stay away from Las Vegas. :D

URMite
November 16th, 2007, 08:59 AM
The thing is that we don't have the chance to take it out of the committee's hand, all we have the chance to do is beat Towson, which is no given. They're still a good team in a bad year. I just hope they don't have a randomly great game, or a randomly great last minute of the game.

I thought about rooting for Hofstra and W&M, but Hofstra is probably the only other 8-3 we could be bumped for, assuming the committee wanted balance between CAA North and South more than it wanted the 8 best at-large (nothing personal Hofstra, but based on SOS, quality wins, and common opponents, JMU is the better team this year) so I'd rather UMASS make that point moot.

EDIT: UMASS has to beat Hofstra to make them 8-3. I still think JMU has an argument over a 9-2 Hofstra with no FBS games, but the committee wouldn't likely accept that.

I was thinking mainly that JMU plays the first half thinking only about Towson. But if UR & UMass have lost before they return for the second half, then the coaches mention that you can't be left out with a win. But then again, I'm not a coach.

Monarch History
November 16th, 2007, 09:34 AM
This weekend is going to be great in the CAA.xnodx I envy you guys with teams. I can't wait until ODU fields its team in '09 and become a full member of the CAA a few years later.

01pantherfan
November 16th, 2007, 10:08 AM
well shoot i could live with that prediction!!!

How about UNI vs Appy State in a rematch of 05 ?

FCS Preview
November 16th, 2007, 10:51 AM

You could, but I think you would need a 10-game schedule, and the last weekend of the season is left open for cross-scheduling...

N1 vs S1 (CAA Championship Game, winner gets AQ)
N2 vs S2
N3 vs S3
N4 vs S4
N5 vs S5
N6 vs S6

where you could end up with some re-matches from earlier in the season.

Also it would ruin Rivalry Week where teams have traditionally ended their season against the same teams for a long time.

T-Dog
November 16th, 2007, 11:26 AM
He's just using reverse psychology because he picked UMass HEAVILY over us last year and he wants us too lose so he picks us to win it all knowing his picks are a curse.

UDBlueLotFan
November 16th, 2007, 11:38 AM
We wouldn't be losing much if we got rid of Novaxlolx They probably won't have a football program in a few years anywayxsmiley_wix

LehighFan11
November 16th, 2007, 11:47 AM
I guess sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying.

You had better stay away from Las Vegas. :D

haha i like that

BDKJMU
November 16th, 2007, 12:48 PM

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Hofstra is 7-3. They lose they're 7-4.

BDKJMU
November 16th, 2007, 12:53 PM

ASU has A MUCH GREATER CHANCE of 3 peating than Montana does of winning the NC. That's why I'm so worried about JMU facing ASU in the 1st round. There's only one other team on the road that I would rather see JMU play @ ASU over, and that would be @ UNI.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 16th, 2007, 11:24 PM
UMASS may have beaten UNH soundly, but they are only a shell of last year's team--not as talented at RB or QB (with Coen injured) nor at WR. Def is good, but not dominant. They beat Fordham in Round 1, then will be gone. Delaware will play App State or Northern Iowa for Title

umassfan
November 16th, 2007, 11:57 PM
UMASS may have beaten UNH soundly, but they are only a shell of last year's team--not as talented at RB or QB (with Coen injured) nor at WR. Def is good, but not dominant. They beat Fordham in Round 1, then will be gone. Delaware will play App State or Northern Iowa for Title

We lost just 1 WR from last year and they have been as good if not better then last season. Lawrence has 1200 yards and 15 td at RB and Nelson has around 500 something yards as well. Coen hasnt been the same but is still better then most FCS QBs. His stats may not be the same because he didnt finish a couple games due to injury and had the weather game vs URI. As for our defense... just look what they did vs your team saturday. They also held Matt Ryan to his lowest passing total all year and know how to come up with the big plays.