PDA

View Full Version : FCS in HD?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Although the following survey is a pretty sad reflection on the times, it's something that should make people stand up and take notice:

Motorola Inc. (NYSE: MOT), maker of equipment and services that enable customers to receive high-definition programming, recently commissioned a survey among more than 1,000 adults nationwide and found that 45 percent would rather watch college or professional football on a high-definition TV than watch the game in person.

Only one in three respondents (or 32 percent) indicated they would rather watch a college or professional football game in person.

The survey also found that more men than women would rather watch football on a high definition TV than in person (51 percent of men vs. 41 percent of women).

Two questions arise from this.

One, how much FCS football is currently in HD, if any?

Two, what can FCS schools to do to compete with this? This is a real concern.

DFW HOYA
November 15th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I think the survey would be more of an issue if it reached 1,000 people who actually attend events. A lot of folks that regularly watch college football never step inside a stadium (or even a multi-sport field...)

appfan2008
November 15th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I would never not attend a sporting event if i have the opportunity to do so opting to watch in HD... that is crazy

Franks Tanks
November 15th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I think the survey would be more of an issue if it reached 1,000 people who actually attend events. A lot of folks that regularly watch college football never step inside a stadium (or even a multi-sport field...)

HAHA

HIU 93
November 15th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Two questions arise from this.

One, how much FCS football is currently in HD, if any?

Two, what can FCS schools to do to compete with this? This is a real concern.

1. Anytime Comcast Sports Net broadcasts a FCS game, it is available on HD. Anytime ESPN or ESPN2 broadcasts a FCS game, it is available on HD. The Bayou Classic is available on HD. Anytime the NFL Network broadcasts a FCS game, it is available on HD (they broadcast the Circle City Classic this year).

2. All TV will be HD after Jan. 1st, 2009, so it is really not an issue.

LehighFan11
November 15th, 2007, 01:32 PM
I don't think it presents a big problem for FCS teams. For FBS teams that charge upwards of 50 or 100 dollars for a ticket, maybe. If i had the opportunity to go to my favorite team's game, i would much rather go to the game than watch it in HD. For some people if they have to travel over an hour lets say and pay over 100 dollars for a ticket, they might just stay home.

The Moody1
November 15th, 2007, 03:48 PM
1. Anytime Comcast Sports Net broadcasts a FCS game, it is available on HD. Anytime ESPN or ESPN2 broadcasts a FCS game, it is available on HD. The Bayou Classic is available on HD. Anytime the NFL Network broadcasts a FCS game, it is available on HD (they broadcast the Circle City Classic this year).

All TV will be digital, not necessarily in HD.

DOME
November 15th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I would rather watch a UNI game in person, be able to tailgate and be a part of it all. (is it Saturday yet? already got my friend's student ticket to go see the Thunderbirds :)
That said if its not UNI I'm perfectly happy sitting in my favorite bar watching the game, along with five others on a TV better than my own.

Golden Eagle
November 15th, 2007, 10:42 PM
High definition television is the biggest rip-off of the century. It's just brighter colors, nothing more than that.

brownbear
November 15th, 2007, 10:45 PM
If a Brown game was on HD, it's probably because it's a big game, which would mean I would be there at the game.

CamelCityAppFan
November 15th, 2007, 10:46 PM
High definition television is the biggest rip-off of the century. It's just brighter colors, nothing more than that.

You might want to clean your glasses once in a while...

SeattleGriz
November 15th, 2007, 11:40 PM

You might want to clean your glasses once in a while...

Yeah, cmon over to my house and watch a few games in HD.

By the way, I got into HD on the cheap. Bought one of the last HD tube TV's (190 lbs).

I would rather go to a game than watch it in HD.

ucdtim17
November 15th, 2007, 11:57 PM

Maybe your Comcast does HD, but Comcast Sports Net West does not do HD unless it's a Kings game. And not all TV will be HD in 2009, it will be digital, as mentioned above.

Syntax Error
November 16th, 2007, 12:15 AM
2007 D-I Football Championships ESPN Television Coverage:

First Round Game, Live on ESPN HD/ESPN 360 simulcast
Friday, November 23 at 1:30 p.m. ET

First Round Game, Live on ESPNU
Saturday, November 24 at Noon or 3:30 p.m. ET

Quarterfinal Games, Live on ESPN Syndication/ESPN GamePlan/ESPN 360
Saturday, December 1 at Noon ET
Saturday, December 1 at 3:30 p.m. ET
Saturday, December 1 at 7 p.m. ET
Saturday, December 1 at TBA

Semifinal Game, Live on ESPN2 HD/ESPN 360 simulcast
Friday, December 7 at 8 p.m. ET

Semifinal Game, Live on ESPN HD/ESPN 360 simulcast
Saturday, December 8 at 4 p.m. ET

National Championship – Live on ESPN2 HD/ESPN 360 simulcast
Friday, December 14 at 8 p.m. ET

newsbreaker
November 16th, 2007, 07:35 AM

Wrong, and wrong.

Games are always broadcast on the HD channel, not necessarily IN HD. Those channels show a lot of content that isn't actually in HD (ie, bars on the side, lower resolution) but is SD on the HD channel.

The Friday first round game will be on your ESPNHD channel, but that doesn't mean it will be produced IN HD.

Second, all TV will be digital, not HD. There is a HUGE difference there, as has previously been mentioned.

AppAlum2003
November 16th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Wrong, and wrong.

Games are always broadcast on the HD channel, not necessarily IN HD. Those channels show a lot of content that isn't actually in HD (ie, bars on the side, lower resolution) but is SD on the HD channel.

The Friday first round game will be on your ESPNHD channel, but that doesn't mean it will be produced IN HD.

Second, all TV will be digital, not HD. There is a HUGE difference there, as has previously been mentioned.

Thanks for saving me a lot of typing! :D