PDA

View Full Version : Ironic...or ignorance??? You be the judge

DSUHornet
November 14th, 2007, 04:09 PM
As a few of you know, i play for the Delaware State Hornets and along with that, i just so happen to be a huge fan of football, particularly FCS college football. For this reason, i happen to know alot of things about other things going on outside of the MEAC that more than a fair share of our players have no idea about. these things include but are not limited to, the playoff scheme, other conferences, etc. i am aware that i am a fan as much as a player therefore i know alot more than other guys on the team who are amazing athletes and just show up and do their job and leave it at that. it never really seemed to tempt me to think beyond this until i was exchanging words with one of my friends and teamates (name not to be mentioned) and i mentioned Flacco and he said "who?". i said "Flacco. Joe Flacco." he didnt know what the hell i was talking about. we (when i say we, i mean us as a team) dont know anything about other teams until we go into film and game preparation which leaves us pretty ignorant outside of the MEAC. The reason i find this ironic is because so many people made a big deal out of it when Flacco said he hadn't really heard of Delaware State. What do you guys think about this?

JmuSkinsfan
November 14th, 2007, 04:45 PM
As a few of you know, i play for the Delaware State Hornets and along with that, i just so happen to be a huge fan of football, particularly FCS college football. For this reason, i happen to know alot of things about other things going on outside of the MEAC that more than a fair share of our players have no idea about. these things include but are not limited to, the playoff scheme, other conferences, etc. i am aware that i am a fan as much as a player therefore i know alot more than other guys on the team who are amazing athletes and just show up and do their job and leave it at that. it never really seemed to tempt me to think beyond this until i was exchanging words with one of my friends and teamates (name not to be mentioned) and i mentioned Flacco and he said "who?". i said "Flacco. Joe Flacco." he didnt know what the hell i was talking about. we (when i say we, i mean us as a team) dont know anything about other teams until we go into film and game preparation which leaves us pretty ignorant outside of the MEAC. The reason i find this ironic is because so many people made a big deal out of it when Flacco said he hadn't really heard of Delaware State. What do you guys think about this?

You clearly have insight that most of us don't. But I did live with a lot of the freshmen players when I was a freshman two years ago at JMU. They, for the most part, only really knew about big time FBS college and the teams within the FCS. Aside from that, I don't think they really followed much other than the CAA and who they played that year.

You chose to be a fan of FCS, and you post on here and learn a lot from doing so. I didn't really know too much about the FCS outside of JMU until I joined the CAAzone forum and then eventually AGS. Being on forums exposes you to the bigger picture, rather than the specific information your DSU teammates would know from the MEAC and not much else. I think there's just a difference between being a player + fan of FCS, and being a player + fan of football, but not specifically the FCS level beyond what they need to know.

Seawolf97
November 14th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Most folks know only of FBS and the top 25 teams and what bowls they may be going into. Being a fan of FCS ( Never played college football) this forum is an excellent source of information from people in the know and yes it can get crazy and you need tough skin at times but it is the best and most of the folks on here are the best. Alot of good information is shared on this boardxnodx

KAUMASS
November 14th, 2007, 04:58 PM

As a former player for Umass, I was only concerned about our own league and only knew of the opponents players that were good from previous years we played. We didn't have as much exposure as you guys do today with the internet and stuff. However, players should be aware of other D-1 schools in your state, but knowing the players isn't such a big deal.

Enjoy the playoff environment. I got to play in one playoff game in 1988. Congratulations on your MEAC championship. Good luck against Delaware.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 14th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Players spend so much time getting ready for the next game is there time to follow ALL the teams? I'm sure if the UD/ Del St happens Flecco will know more about Del St then 99% of AGS posters and visa versa. With the possible exception being 89hen:p

Thats one that gets me about the coaches poll.....you know darn well they're not spending alot of time thinking about teams they won't be playing.

DSUHornet
November 14th, 2007, 05:12 PM
As a former player for Umass, I was only concerned about our own league and only knew of the opponents players that were good from previous years we played. We didn't have as much exposure as you guys do today with the internet and stuff. However, players should be aware of other D-1 schools in your state, but knowing the players isn't such a big deal.

Enjoy the playoff environment. I got to play in one playoff game in 1988. Congratulations on your MEAC championship. Good luck against Delaware.

you know what, maybe thats why i made so much of a big deal of it in my head, that we were going to be playing them. if the match-up wasnt already almost a sure shot, i probably woul've just thought nothing of it.
but also, another thing that got to me(may be an exaggeration), was that Lavan AND Sessoms mentioned Delaware in the post game conference. of course, being the type of person i am i go back and tell my teammates every little detail and misquote a little bit just to get them amped up but i guess in the back of my mind i was expecting the COACH and PRESIDENT to be a little more mature about the situation and focus on our victory other than trying to stir up a rivalry that doesnt exsist(at least yet for that matter).

DSUHornet
November 14th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Players spend so much time getting ready for the next game is there time to follow ALL the teams? I'm sure if the UD/ Del St happens Flecco will know more about Del St then 99% of AGS posters and visa versa. With the possible exception being 89hen:p

Thats one that gets me about the coaches poll.....you know darn well they're not spending alot of time thinking about teams they won't be playing.

true. but the coaches poll is one of the more accurate polls imo

Umass74
November 14th, 2007, 05:28 PM

Flacco is ex-BCS. It's highly likely he never heard of Delaware two weeks before he signed with them. xrolleyesx

putter
November 14th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I agree. I don't think it is ignorance at all because players will concentrate on teams in their conference but I was a little surprised because Delaware is having such a good year and is a top program.

KAUMASS
November 14th, 2007, 05:44 PM
you know what, maybe thats why i made so much of a big deal of it in my head, that we were going to be playing them. if the match-up wasnt already almost a sure shot, i probably woul've just thought nothing of it.
but also, another thing that got to me(may be an exaggeration), was that Lavan AND Sessoms mentioned Delaware in the post game conference. of course, being the type of person i am i go back and tell my teammates every little detail and misquote a little bit just to get them amped up but i guess in the back of my mind i was expecting the COACH and PRESIDENT to be a little more mature about the situation and focus on our victory other than trying to stir up a rivalry that doesnt exsist(at least yet for that matter).

We played Eastern Kentucky in the first round. They had a running back named Elroy Harris who we had never heard of, and that I will never forget. 5'-11" to 6' and 230 lbs. Basically a sherman tank who ran harder as the game wore on, as I was a linebacker. Elroy went on to play for the Seahawks in the NFL for a couple of years. We hit him hard all game, but he just kept coming.

My advice to you is to take some of the best players in your conference you played against, and take it up a notch in talent and speed because that is what you will find on the field come Saturday in the playoffs. Again, good luck and enjoy every moment, because you will become and old man before you know it.

WMTribe90
November 14th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Agreed, we played against Dedric Ward in the UNI-Dome in the 2nd round and I hadn't heard of the dome or Ward prior to game week. Take KAUMASS's advice and enjoy every second now, cause it'll be a distant memory before you know it.

Ozzie
November 14th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Playing for UMass in the late 1990s, we had no knowledge of teams outside the A-10. The exposure on TV and the Internet has really grown since that time. Once in season, the only thing current players should worry about is the next opponent.

CID1990
November 14th, 2007, 08:23 PM
There I was thinking Flacco was the inability to get an erection. Who knew?

BlueHenBoy
November 14th, 2007, 08:27 PM
You're coach lets you visit message boards?

HensRock
November 14th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I agree with most others here. I don't see anything unusual about either Joe Flacco not hearing of DSU, nor DSU players not hearing about Joe Flacco. Let's face it, the national media focuses 99.99% on FBS and probably top 50 FBS at that. FCS just doesn't get the exposure.

DSUHornet, I think you are the exception because you are plugged into this site and have a broader, national view of FCS.

I'm sure Joe is concentrating on Villanova this week, just as you and your teammates should be concentrating on Howard. Good luck on Saturday.

pksundevil
November 14th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Flacco is ex-BCS. It's highly likely he never heard of Delaware two weeks before he signed with them. xrolleyesx

Except the word on GoHens.net (which I think got it from Keeler) is that UD recruited Flacco out of high school, and that was part of the reason we got him when he wanted to leave Pitt.

Punchykky
November 14th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Don't be mad about Flacco. Just concentrate on Howard. Next week will take care of itself.

DSUHornet
November 14th, 2007, 11:54 PM
You're coach lets you visit message boards?

i dont know that we are not allowed to. it never was addressed. now that i think about it, he probably wouldnt be too fond of it if he knew but it doesnt really make that big of a deal, i'm not on here asking for team's playbook information, etc. it's not a distraction, just somethin to do between classes and before/after practice to keep my head on the sport and not in any trouble (there is alot to get into around here).

DSUHornet
November 14th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I'm sure Joe is concentrating on Villanova this week, just as you and your teammates should be concentrating on Howard. Good luck on Saturday.

Don't be mad about Flacco. Just concentrate on Howard. Next week will take care of itself.

I definately appreciate that, and not to worry, i dont lose focus from being on here, in fact, it tunes me in more. between watching film, practicing, and being on here, i feel like i have a real good grasp on the game and hopefully it will show on the field. i'm definately focused on the game and take advantage of every snap i get v.s. Howard.

phillyAPP
November 15th, 2007, 12:04 AM
We played Eastern Kentucky in the first round. They had a running back named Elroy Harris who we had never heard of, and that I will never forget. 5'-11" to 6' and 230 lbs. Basically a sherman tank who ran harder as the game wore on, as I was a linebacker. Elroy went on to play for the Seahawks in the NFL for a couple of years. We hit him hard all game, but he just kept coming.

My advice to you is to take some of the best players in your conference you played against, and take it up a notch in talent and speed because that is what you will find on the field come Saturday in the playoffs. Again, good luck and enjoy every moment, because you will become and old man before you know it.

Your words have alot of truth. The playoffs are a step up. Each team has less falts to pick on and more talent to adjust too. And yes 4-5 years goes by very quickly and never comes back. xnodx xnodx

McNeese_beat
November 15th, 2007, 01:18 AM

What's funny is that when McNeese's Buchanan Award candidate (Bryan Smith) went out of the game with an ankle injury Saturday against Northwestern St., and I asked the QB about it after the game, he looked at me crazy and said "Smitty was out of the game?"

It's been my experience that unless there's a lot of media available, players are going to be unaware of opponents until it's time to get ready to play them.

andy7171
November 15th, 2007, 08:40 AM
As a former Towson (State) player, I can tell you I never knew anything about the team we played until the Sunday night meeting. You take it one game at a time, don't look past Howard. Even though you have a playoff spot wrapped up, you want to go into the post-season feeling the very best. Because when the playoffs start you're not only representing your own school, but the entire MEAC as well.
Good luck DSUHornet!

89Hen
November 15th, 2007, 08:46 AM
we (when i say we, i mean us as a team) dont know anything about other teams until we go into film and game preparation which leaves us pretty ignorant outside of the MEAC. The reason i find this ironic is because so many people made a big deal out of it when Flacco said he hadn't really heard of Delaware State. What do you guys think about this?
It's actually a little surprising to me because you guys have played quite a few I-AA's from around the country: UMass, SIU, NWSt... some of the other MEAC teams tend to stick with the regular list of suspects (TSU, SWAC's, SavannahSt, etc...).

Seahawks Fan
November 15th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I'm not surprised. The FBS names are more out there. Good luck on Saturday. xthumbsupx

proasu89
November 15th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Good Luck, Hornet

DSUrocks07
November 15th, 2007, 11:26 AM

I'm sure that Sessoms mentioned Delaware because everyone and they're mama knows that if DSU and UD were both in the playoffs that they would have been matched up in the 1st round. So he wasn't taking much of a leap of faith, IMO he was trying to get the Hornets "fanbase" riled up for this game. Lavan probably wants to get this game over with so its not much of a distraction anymore for his team.

LacesOut
November 15th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Hell, I'm from Delaware, 35 years old, a UD alum, and have been a UD fan for +20 years, and I don't think I even heard of DSU until I was in high school! I just knew it was the college on Rt. 13 that we passed by on our way to the beach. LOL

So for a player from out of state who grew up watching big time college football, of course he wouldn't know who Joe Flacco was or anything about UD history, or maybe anything at all about any I-AA. No harm in that.

Also, I think it's pretty cool to have a current football player posting here. Good luck this Saturday and I hope to see the Hornets up in Newark next weekend!