PDA

View Full Version : How many teams have a legit shot..

ChickenMan
November 14th, 2007, 01:30 PM
to win the FCS title in '07???

the field appears to be about as wide open as any I can recall.. with at least 10 or more teams capable of running the table.. if they get hot at the right time. Some of the leading candidates.. in no particular order..

UNI
SIU
Richmond
Delaware
JMU
UMass
ASU
Wofford
GSU
McNeese St
Montana

any others?

LehighFan11
November 14th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I'd be surpised if JMU, Umass, Wofford or GSU won the championship. I dont think those teams are talented enough to win all 4 games. But, the other 6 or 7 are basically all equal.

JDC325
November 14th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I'd be surpised if JMU, Umass, Wofford or GSU won the championship. I dont think those teams are talented enough to win all 4 games. But, the other 6 or 7 are basically all equal.

Honestly as long as #4 is healthy GSU allways has a chance.

LehighFan11
November 14th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Honestly as long as #4 is healthy GSU allways has a chance.

I agree they have the ability to beat any team with Foster and their offense. I don't think GSU is deep and strong enough on both sides of the ball to go the distance. I could be wrong of course:)

RAMS83
November 14th, 2007, 01:38 PM
yeah Fordham.. We'll score points with the best in the country. We ran the ball against some of our opponents because they couldnt stop us effectively and coach chose to wear them down. Our bread and butter is spreading the field with 4 and 5 wides and taking shots down the field with our passing game. laugh at us like Michigan laughed at Appy. You get the point..

OldTiredGriz
November 14th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Of course we have another weekend of football to be played on the field, but in looking up and down the list of teams that are already in, those likely in and those with a good shot to get into the playoffs, I really think any one of the 16 teams could get hot and take the title. I think it's the best playoff field ever.

skinny_uncle
November 14th, 2007, 01:44 PM

xnodx

LacesOut
November 14th, 2007, 01:54 PM
UNI
SIU
Richmond
UMass
ASU
Montana

There is my six.

Kill'em
November 14th, 2007, 02:02 PM
I agree they have the ability to beat any team with Foster and their offense. I don't think GSU is deep and strong enough on both sides of the ball to go the distance. I could be wrong of course:)

Before we think about how far Georgia Southern could go, we need to beat Colorado St, first. If that happens and we get in, look out! We could go a long way. True statement about depth. We have had so many injuries and other player turnover, depth could become a factor in the postseason.

I think UNI and App have the best shot.

GannonFan
November 14th, 2007, 02:06 PM
UNI is in a class by themselves - they're probably the most balanced team in the field (quality offense and quality defense) and they get 3 rounds in the UNI-Dome. The only other team that has a shot, IMO, would be whoever wins the bracket opposite UNI and gets to play them in Chatty. You don't want to be the #4 seed (having to play UNI in the semis) or paired anywhere on that side of the bracket.

mcveyrl
November 14th, 2007, 02:08 PM

Let's not forget that JMU lost by a combined 4 points to UR (1 point with an interception in the end zone at the end of the game) and UD (with a fumble on UD's 20 near the end of the game). We've got the talent, but I share your concerns about depth and stupid mistakes.

skinny_uncle
November 14th, 2007, 02:12 PM
UNI is in a class by themselves - they're probably the most balanced team in the field (quality offense and quality defense) and they get 3 rounds in the UNI-Dome. The only other team that has a shot, IMO, would be whoever wins the bracket opposite UNI and gets to play them in Chatty. You don't want to be the #4 seed (having to play UNI in the semis) or paired anywhere on that side of the bracket.
I would take the #4. We are way overdue to win a game in the DREADED DOME.
:D

LehighFan11
November 14th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Let's not forget that JMU lost by a combined 4 points to UR (1 point with an interception in the end zone at the end of the game) and UD (with a fumble on UD's 20 near the end of the game). We've got the talent, but I share your concerns about depth and stupid mistakes.

Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't doubt JMU's chances of winning any game, including going down to App and winning. There are atleast 16 teams that could beat eachother on any given saturday. But, I think there are only 6 or 7 capable of winning a national championship.

OhioHen
November 14th, 2007, 02:23 PM
After Sunday's announcement, there will be exactly 16 teams with a legitimate shot to win the title. xrulesx

That being said, homefield and matchups will obviously favor some teams, thus giving them a better shot at winning it all. In the end, though, only what happens on the field will matter. xnodx xnodx xnodx

Any Given Saturday (and a couple of Fridays thrown in for good measure)

Kill'em
November 14th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Friday football games should be left for the high schools.

putter
November 14th, 2007, 02:46 PM
In looking at some of the projected brackets, the NC team will definately earn it! This has to be one of the most balanced possible brackets I have seen in a few years. xnodx

Grizzaholic
November 15th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I find it humorious that people still pick the Griz to win it all even though this whole season we were slammed with SOS and weak conference BS. Just wondering, why do we still have a hat in the game to win it all when we obviously don't belong in the playoffs to many on this board?

DSUHornet
November 15th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Montana is a MONSTER

RabidRabbit
November 15th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I find it humorious that people still pick the Griz to win it all even though this whole season we were slammed with SOS and weak conference BS. Just wondering, why do we still have a hat in the game to win it all when we obviously don't belong in the playoffs to many on this board?

That incredibly soft, 7 home game, schedule will either be what has the Griz in Chatty playing for the title, or home watching with 118 other teams' fans.

One scenario (leading to title) is that you have remained healthy, almost guaranteed to be at Wash-Griz until going to Chatty, and able to use all those trick plays nobody has film on.

The other outlook is that you have no idea of how good everybody else is this year, because you haven't seen any challengers, especially other than your Fluffy mates. Because of that, the play hardened team comes in and beats you down, like UMass last year, and you're home.

Which Griz team is it? We won't know til the play-offs. Congrats on getting there.

pokum88
November 15th, 2007, 12:45 PM
DEFENSE

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 15th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Because of that, the play hardened team comes in and beats you down, like UMass last year, and you're home.

I will agree that the better team won that game last year, BUT, the griz still had a shot at winning that game. It went right down to the wire and that is they way it should be. The best the guys on the field playing for the Griz can do is go out and win, and constantly talking about the schedule, conference, etc., doesn't give the payers and coaches the credit I think they deserve thus far. 10-0 is still 10-0 any way you want to slice it xsmiley_wix

pokum88
November 15th, 2007, 12:47 PM
DEFENSE

89Hen
November 15th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I think it's the best playoff field ever.

This has to be one of the most balanced possible brackets I have seen in a few years. xnodx
I'm not sure about best playoff field ever, but it may be the most balanced.

appfan2008
November 15th, 2007, 01:09 PM
any of the 16 teams have a shot but i think it comes down to teams that have been there recently... montana, umass, uni, and asu have all been to the title game in the last three years and all have a legit shot... i know jmu has been there in the last three years but i dont think they are as talented as those other 4

james_lawfirm
November 15th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Friday football games should be left for the high schools.

I agree w/ one exception: Chatty.

URMite
November 15th, 2007, 01:20 PM

Here's a thought. If the New England Patriots dropped down to FCS but played 11 DIII teams, everyone would think they shouldn't be in the playoffs. But everyone would also think they were the favorite to win it all if they were in it.

Performance vs potential.

That said I don't have any problem with the Griz, just trying to iluminate that there are 2 separate issues.

james_lawfirm
November 15th, 2007, 01:21 PM

For the record, I have never said the Griz don't belong in the playoffs. I cannot recall reading any other poster say that. I have said they don't deserve a seed. BIG DIFFERENCE.

IMO, if you don't play tough teams in the reg. season, you ought not be rewarded with a seed for being undefeated. Apparently the GPI agrees with me.

Note that few Griz fans argue that Montana has a strong SOS, rather they seem to be arguing that SOS should not matter. Say what?

Further, this dispute about the quality of the Montana team will soon be proven on the field. Can't wait. If they are as good as Griz posters claim, then I will be the first to admit it and wish them all a big congrats after their win in Chatty. If they make a quick exit from the playoffs, I would hope that some Griz fans will admit that SOS is a meaningful statistic that can be used to predict which football teams are better.

Grizzaholic
November 15th, 2007, 02:37 PM
For the record, I have never said the Griz don't belong in the playoffs. I cannot recall reading any other poster say that. I have said they don't deserve a seed. BIG DIFFERENCE.

IMO, if you don't play tough teams in the reg. season, you ought not be rewarded with a seed for being undefeated. Apparently the GPI agrees with me.

Note that few Griz fans argue that Montana has a strong SOS, rather they seem to be arguing that SOS should not matter. Say what?

Further, this dispute about the quality of the Montana team will soon be proven on the field. Can't wait. If they are as good as Griz posters claim, then I will be the first to admit it and wish them all a big congrats after their win in Chatty. If they make a quick exit from the playoffs, I would hope that some Griz fans will admit that SOS is a meaningful statistic that can be used to predict which football teams are better.

I am not one to argue SOS means nothing but it cannot be all that and a bag of chips as some posters think it is. I think all the polls and rankings mean about as much as a bucket of water being dumped into the ocean. When your team is either tied or down in the final minutes is when you find out who has what it takes.

CharlestonAppFan
November 15th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I am not one to argue SOS means nothing but it cannot be all that and a bag of chips as some posters think it is. I think all the polls and rankings mean about as much as a bucket of water being dumped into the ocean. When your team is either tied or down in the final minutes is when you find out who has what it takes.

where is our San Diego bretheren this year? xeyebrowx Not pointing the finger at you Grizz in any way, but I'm sure that 89 or GF or whoever can pull up some threads last year when some Grizz fans and other FCS fans completely disagree with this statement.

kalm
November 15th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Here's a thought. If the New England Patriots dropped down to FCS but played 11 DIII teams, everyone would think they shouldn't be in the playoffs. But everyone would also think they were the favorite to win it all if they were in it.

Performance vs potential.

That said I don't have any problem with the Griz, just trying to iluminate that there are 2 separate issues.

No, it would be like the Cowboys finishing 15-1, Giants 10-6, Skins 9-7, and Eagles 4-12, but people feeling the Cowboys should not get home-field, and the Giants not receive a wild card because there are more good teams in the AFC.

This BSC smack is all about Montana-hating and willfull east coast ignorance. Going throught the BSC undefeated is a tremendous achievement. Any other school in any other conference would be receiving nothing but accolades, but everyone, including Montana's own fans have come to expect this kind of success, so the accomplishment is underated.

Great defense, great special teams and homefield advanatage - a winning combination at any level of football. Montana should definitely be a favorite to win it all.

AZGrizFan
November 15th, 2007, 03:45 PM
My darkhorse is EWU. Assuming they beat Weber. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

FCS Go!
November 15th, 2007, 04:00 PM
where is our San Diego bretheren this year? xeyebrowx Not pointing the finger at you Grizz in any way, but I'm sure that 89 or GF or whoever can pull up some threads last year when some Grizz fans and other FCS fans completely disagree with this statement.

You know as well as anyone else that the Big Sky Conf is better than the Pioneer. If the Big Sky had never sent a team to the playoffs or even gone 10 years without a playoff win you might have something to talk about. I know life is unfair if you're not a Griz but get over it. The issue will be decided on the field, as it should be.

Grizzaholic
November 15th, 2007, 04:01 PM
No, it would be like the Cowboys finishing 15-1, Giants 10-6, Skins 9-7, and Eagles 4-12, but people feeling the Cowboys should not get home-field, and the Giants not receive a wild card because there are more good teams in the AFC.

This BSC smack is all about Montana-hating and willfull east coast ignorance. Going throught the BSC undefeated is a tremendous achievement. Any other school in any other conference would be receiving nothing but accolades, but everyone, including Montana's own fans have come to expect this kind of success, so the accomplishment is underated.
Great defense, great special teams and homefield advanatage - a winning combination at any level of football. Montana should definitely be a favorite to win it all.

You said it right there. Maybe Montana can play in a revolving conference. Every 5 years they will move to the next conference.

CharlestonAppFan
November 15th, 2007, 04:07 PM
You know as well as anyone else that the Big Sky Conf is better than the Pioneer. If the Big Sky had never sent a team to the playoffs or even gone 10 years without a playoff win you might have something to talk about. I know life is unfair if you're not a Griz but get over it. The issue will be decided on the field, as it should be.

Yes, I'm proud to be a Mountaineer there buddyxthumbsupx, don't need to get over anything but being a fan of the 2 time defending National Champions. That's mighty unfair, believe mexrolleyesx

I think I do have something to talk about here, so do not criticize me for sharing it so you can get over yourself xnodx . We all thought SOS meant something last year, and this year it's like it has been thrown out the window because it's freakin Montana. I personally think Montana will field a competitive team and always has a chance to win the NC. I, as well as others on here, only question how good of a team Montana has in part because of their schedule and the way they have played.

URMite
November 16th, 2007, 01:54 AM

What I was pointing out is that there is no inconsistency in believing a team could have a weak SOS and believing they are a playoff favorite. I was not advocating either position, just using a ridiculous example to illustrate that the both positions could be taken at the same time.

Personally I think the Griz would have been better off if they could have upgraded any 1 team on the weakest half of their schedule. Does not doing so make them a weaker team? No. I have no problem with the Griz getting a seed.

As for the BSC in general, I think over the last 6 years or so there have been enough strong teams other than the Griz, but that until a team or two have playoff success twice, we won't have conclusive evidence that there will always be at least a second or third strong program.

AppMan
November 16th, 2007, 06:25 AM

That is why ASU will be the #3 seed. Can you say possible rematch?

rufus
November 16th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't doubt JMU's chances of winning any game, including going down to App and winning. There are atleast 16 teams that could beat eachother on any given saturday. But, I think there are only 6 or 7 capable of winning a national championship.
I actually enjoy the lack of respect that people give JMU year in and year out. I remember in 2004 everyone on this board was talking about how we had no shot against Furman, and how we couldn't stop a team like W&M, and how Montana would crush us by 6 touchdowns. The underdog roll served us well. I'll take that again in 2007. :)

ab4app
November 16th, 2007, 07:52 AM
These next few weeks are gonna be tough. There are too many capable teams this year it seems. I wish that all of my fellow App homers would not make such giant predictions for our boys. While I think we have a great shot, so do a lot of other people, but no one else is talking about how good there own team is. IMHO It is only gonna make us look bad. Lets not put the spotlight on our selves just yet. Now with all that being said, i think we are right on track to make another run, but there are some teams who are gonna be a nightmare to face this post seasonxeekx . Weak schedule or not, undefeated teams have found a way to win all season long, that is never gonna be considered an easy taskxbowx . Lookin forward to some great football

Lets go Appsxnodx

ab4app
November 16th, 2007, 07:56 AM
And by the way, whoever said that ASU has not faced a legit defense this year needs to get serious, thas ignant, but hey, we will love to take on the role of under dog, bring it on.

YoUDeeMan
November 16th, 2007, 09:04 AM
The issue will be decided on the field, as it should be.

Sure it will be decided on the field. xnodx

But Montana's Big Fluffy Sky schedule ensures that the Griz will lose on their field in the playoffs. xlolx

xsmiley_wix

griz&beer
November 16th, 2007, 10:52 AM
One team that will make some noise is EWU if they can get in. I would not want to play them.

Ronin
November 16th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Any of the teams listed have an outside chance, but my favorites in no particular order are:

UNI
SIU
Richmond
Delaware
ASU

DSUrocks07
November 16th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Any of the teams listed have an outside chance, but my favorites in no particular order are:

UNI
SIU
Richmond
Delaware
ASU

Oh you mean outside of the first one?xcoolx