PDA

View Full Version : Sportsman Of The Year

UNHWildCats
November 14th, 2007, 01:13 PM
CNNSI each day is running articles for each of its writers nominee for Sportman of the Year and Cory McCartney has chosen the Appalachian State Mountaineers as his choice.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/magazine/specials/sportsman/2007/11/07/mccartney.appalachian/index.html?eref=T1

SunCoastBlueHen
November 14th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I nominate OB55! xnodx :p

ASUG8
November 14th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Wow, that's kind of cool -
While this is real homer comment, I do think that the Michigan win was an early warning of what an upset-laden season this would be. Just as we were still reeling from that win, a school of less than 2K students kicked our butts at their place, suddenly flattening the hopes of ASU running the table again. We lost two records this year, with most consecutive wins and most wins at home, but we lost them to extremely capable teams. It's been a great season, and I'm certain that we're in for several more weeks of intense smack as we enter the playoffs.

andy7171
November 14th, 2007, 01:51 PM
I nominate OB55! xnodx :p

If OB isn't the SotY he defineately has my vote for Mountainman of the Year, that's for sure!

HensRock
November 14th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Cool except for this..

It was the first victory for a Division I-AA (renamed Championship Subdivision) team over a Division I-A (Bowl Subdivision) foe since the AP expanded its rankings to 25 teams in 1989

They need to insert the word 'RANKED'. As it stands, this just perpetuates the myth that I-A >>>>> I-AA

JayJ79
November 14th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Cool except for this..

They need to insert the word 'RANKED'. As it stands, this just perpetuates the myth that I-A >>>>> I-AA

no doubt!
I noticed that too. It's obviously a typing/editing error (else why include the bit about "since the AP expanded their rankings"). But still....

brownbear
November 14th, 2007, 04:10 PM
How could they not mention a single other game when an FCS team beat an FBS team?

uofmman1122
November 14th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Cool except for this..

They need to insert the word 'RANKED'. As it stands, this just perpetuates the myth that I-A >>>>> I-AAAm I reading a different article?

"It was the first victory for a Division I-AA (renamed Championship Subdivision) team over a RANKED Division I-A (Bowl Subdivision) foe since the AP expanded its rankings to 25 teams in 1989."

Maybe he added it later, or maybe you guys didn't read it close enough. :p

ASUMountaineer
November 14th, 2007, 06:12 PM
How could they not mention a single other game when an FCS team beat an FBS team?

Because, while they are still impressive, Appalachian is the only FCS team to beat a ranked FBS team. App didn't just beat an FBS team like Louisiana-Layfeyette, they beat Michigan, when they were ranked #5.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0709/campus.appstate.celebrates/content.11.html

I'm the guy on the left, best day ever.

UMass922
November 14th, 2007, 06:26 PM
SI should institute a separate Team of the Year category and give it its own issue, cover, etc. as with the Sportsman of the Year. I think that's long overdue. I always hate cop-outs like this. Honor one individual and one team at the end of the year. (No smack intended; ASU is more than deserving of the honor.)