PDA

View Full Version : My bracket guess

McNeese_beat
November 14th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I hate to call them picks (hence the word "guess"), because that would assume me knowing what the hell I'm talking about. But there's enough regionalization that seems to make sense where I think the brackets sort of fall into place in some respects:

Alright, here I go.

1. Northern Iowa vs. James Madison
Delaware vs. Delaware State
4. Appalachian State vs. Eastern Kentucky
UMass vs. Fordham
2. McNeese State (I waiver on this one) vs. Eastern Washington
Richmond vs. Georgia Southern
3. Montana vs. Wofford
Southern Illinois vs. Eastern Illinois

Home teams listed first

I'm assuming a Georgia Southern win, otherwise the last spot will go to one of three: Norfolk State, Alabama A&M or Colgate. Any of the three could end up at Richmond.

I matched up App. State and UMass on the same bracket because they appear to be the teams vying for the fourth and fifth seed. The Michigan win gives App State the edge. Both would be sharing conference titles and have similar records, so it comes down to that quality (extra quality!) out of conference win. I figured SIU would be the sixth team in, so I bracketed them with Montana, Richmond would be No. 7, Delaware No. 8.

My brackets load up with bus trips: EIU at SIU, Fordham at UMass, EKU at App. State (borderline), Delaware State at Delaware, GSU at Richmond (borderline). Five bus trips and three plane trips in the first round.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 14th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Seems plausible but what are the odds they'll send Wofford all the way to Montana?

dukesfan74
November 14th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Don't think they would send JMU to Iowa either

URMite
November 14th, 2007, 10:56 AM
If we get GSU or Norfolk St, I don't see us getting a home game (unless NSU completely messes up the bid). I think our likely opponents are Wofford (location TBD), ASU there, or if Colgate get in we may host them or Fordham.

McNeese_beat
November 14th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Seems plausible but what are the odds they'll send Wofford all the way to Montana?

(This addresses a few posts, not just yours)

Somebody from the east coast is going to have to get on a plane, probably two teams. But there's no sense creating two plane trips where there can be one. There's no sense flying EIU (for example) to Missoula, then flying an east coast team to Carbondale. The key is looking at your bus trips first, then go from there.

Wofford and GSU are interchangable, imo. Perhaps Wofford should stay closer to home as the winner of the autobid and GSU should go back west. Or Norfolk.

McNeese_beat
November 14th, 2007, 11:11 AM
If we get GSU or Norfolk St, I don't see us getting a home game (unless NSU completely messes up the bid). I think our likely opponents are Wofford (location TBD), ASU there, or if Colgate get in we may host them or Fordham.

Picture this: GSU is at Montana (or whoever gets GSU's spot) and you match up with Wofford in McNeese's bracket...

McNeese_beat
November 14th, 2007, 11:14 AM

My thinking is JMU will be the last team in out of the Colonial, so it would be flying to a seed in the first round...

sharkeycox
November 14th, 2007, 11:19 AM

No offense but Missoula is far away from ANY other playoff except EWU.xeekx

Cincy App
November 14th, 2007, 11:37 AM
I hate to call them picks (hence the word "guess"), because that would assume me knowing what the hell I'm talking about. But there's enough regionalization that seems to make sense where I think the brackets sort of fall into place in some respects:

Alright, here I go.

UMass vs. Fordham
3. Montana vs. Wofford

Home teams listed first

I'm assuming a Georgia Southern win, otherwise the last spot will go to one of three: Norfolk State, Alabama A&M or Colgate. Any of the three could end up at Richmond.

I matched up App. State and UMass on the same bracket because they appear to be the teams vying for the fourth and fifth seed. The Michigan win gives App State the edge. Both would be sharing conference titles and have similar records, so it comes down to that quality (extra quality!) out of conference win. I figured SIU would be the sixth team in, so I bracketed them with Montana, Richmond would be No. 7, Delaware No. 8.

My brackets load up with bus trips: EIU at SIU, Fordham at UMass, EKU at App. State (borderline), Delaware State at Delaware, GSU at Richmond (borderline). Five bus trips and three plane trips in the first round.

I do expect that the Playoff Selection Committee will set up 5 bus trips. However, GSU and Richmond are over the 350 mile limit and thus, would require airfare. EKU and Boone are within the 350 mile limit.

If Alabama A&M makes the playoff field, expect them to play at SIU because SIU is the only playoff team within 350 miles of A&M.

Norfolk State would likely play at Richmond if NSU makes the field. If Colgate makes it instead, then I expect Colgate to have a rematch with UMass while Fordham travels to Richmond.

GSU would be an airfare game if they make the field. No non-conference school is within 350 miles of Statesboro. I would not be surprised to see GSU travel to McNeese if GSU beats CSU this weekend. Anyway, many possibilities exist so I'll wait for Saturday's results before getting too carried away.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 14th, 2007, 11:37 AM

true Missoula is far away from EVERYTHING xlolx try driving there from San Diego it's hell xbawlingx xsmiley_wix

Dukie95
November 14th, 2007, 11:40 AM
My thinking is JMU will be the last team in out of the Colonial, so it would be flying to a seed in the first round...

I don't think that matters. There are 4 seeds, everyone else is considered equal once you're in the field.

Last year, JMU was the accepted "#5" and still went on the road to a seed.

Black Saturday
November 14th, 2007, 11:49 AM

Why not? JMU got the business by being sent to Ohio last year.xsmiley_wix

Screamin_Eagle174
November 14th, 2007, 12:04 PM

So wut yerrr sayin' is dat dem Eastern boys shed 'edd on over to MONTANYA!? xeyebrowx xthumbsupx

In all seriousness, if Montana got a 2 Seed, what do you guys think the chances are the committee would sacrifice an in-conference matchup (EWU @ UM) for a short trip? We'd be playing a seed either way, but I like our chances best in WA-Griz! :D

FGColonel
November 14th, 2007, 12:13 PM
You picks (gusses) make a lot of sense but I do know that we (EKU) made a very agressive bid. We were kinda hoping for a Wofford or Richmond to come to Kidd stadium. Not saying that is who we want to play. There ore no easy games now. but those two seemed like our best chance to get a home game.

GO BIG E !!!!!!

appfan2008
November 14th, 2007, 12:18 PM
So wut yerrr sayin' is dat dem Eastern boys shed 'edd on over to MONTANYA!? xeyebrowx xthumbsupx

In all seriousness, if Montana got a 2 Seed, what do you guys think the chances are the committee would sacrifice an in-conference matchup (EWU @ UM) for a short trip? We'd be playing a seed either way, but I like our chances best in WA-Griz! :D

not gonna happen rules are rules...

URMite
November 14th, 2007, 12:19 PM
You picks (gusses) make a lot of sense but I do know that we (EKU) made a very agressive bid. We were kinda hoping for a Wofford or Richmond to come to Kidd stadium. Not saying that is who we want to play. There ore no easy games now. but those two seemed like our best chance to get a home game.

GO BIG E !!!!!!

Ok, a show of hands, who was told by their AD that they made an aggressive bid? xthumbsupx

Did anyone say "We are cheap, so we aren't going to bid?":D

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 14th, 2007, 12:20 PM

BRING IT xthumbsupx

appfan2008
November 14th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Ok, a show of hands, who was told by their AD that they made an aggressive bid? xthumbsupx

not putting my hand up bc i havent heard charlie say much of anything recently but honestly I bet we are gonna have a pretty darn big bid

Screamin_Eagle174
November 14th, 2007, 12:23 PM
BRING IT xthumbsupx

'S'Already been brought! Yeeehaaw! xthumbsupx (/redneck voice)

FGColonel
November 14th, 2007, 12:23 PM

Been around the Playoffs a LONG time. I know what an aggressive bid is. xnodx

URMite
November 14th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Been around the Playoffs a LONG time. I know what an aggressive bid is. xnodx

I wasn't disparaging your knowledge. I just found it funny that within a few posts, it was mentioned that the ADs of JMU, UR & EKU have all announced that they would make an "aggressive" bid. My point was did anyone expect them to say "we decided not to bid enough". xwhistlex

I wouldn't be surprised to hear the same statements from the ADs at SIU & Wofford.

I consider us aggressive not because our bids are high but because we have had 5 playoff games in the last 10 years; 3 at home and 2 against a seed. When our attendance never rated a home game.

URMite
November 14th, 2007, 01:26 PM
not putting my hand up bc i havent heard charlie say much of anything recently but honestly I bet we are gonna have a pretty darn big bid

I would think that you guys, the Grizs, & the hens wouldn't need to announce it - it would be assumed.

Might be same for UNI, GSU, and McNeese.

A second thought, of those 6 who would have a hard time finding a non-conf visitor to bus in, if they weren't a seed. I would think Montana most years, GSU & MCNeese some years...

McNeese_beat
November 14th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I do expect that the Playoff Selection Committee will set up 5 bus trips. However, GSU and Richmond are over the 350 mile limit and thus, would require airfare. EKU and Boone are within the 350 mile limit.

If Alabama A&M makes the playoff field, expect them to play at SIU because SIU is the only playoff team within 350 miles of A&M.

Norfolk State would likely play at Richmond if NSU makes the field. If Colgate makes it instead, then I expect Colgate to have a rematch with UMass while Fordham travels to Richmond.

GSU would be an airfare game if they make the field. No non-conference school is within 350 miles of Statesboro. I would not be surprised to see GSU travel to McNeese if GSU beats CSU this weekend. Anyway, many possibilities exist so I'll wait for Saturday's results before getting too carried away.

When I was researching possibilities, I found that McNeese has played Big Sky opponents in the first round in 8 of its 12 years in the playoffs. The first round game at GSU in 2000 was the only time McNeese has ever been matched up with the SoCon in the first round.

How much does that have to do with this year? Probably not a lot. But it is interesting to see that pattern.

McNeese_beat
November 14th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I don't think that matters. There are 4 seeds, everyone else is considered equal once you're in the field.

Last year, JMU was the accepted "#5" and still went on the road to a seed.

My question is this: Considering the possible bus trips, where would JMU fit in? Is it more likely to get a home game than Richmond? If not, who would be sent to JMU or who would JMU go to once you have the other bus trips figured in?

I'm just having a hard time seeing a way JMU doesn't travel a long way...I'm not saying you'rr wrong, I'm just saying help me figure out why they wouldn't travel...

Squealofthepig
November 14th, 2007, 03:01 PM
When I was researching possibilities, I found that McNeese has played Big Sky opponents in the first round in 8 of its 12 years in the playoffs. The first round game at GSU in 2000 was the only time McNeese has ever been matched up with the SoCon in the first round.

How much does that have to do with this year? Probably not a lot. But it is interesting to see that pattern.

East Coast bussing bias? xeyebrowx

Of the other three non-BSC games, how many were within bus distance?

Edit: Just looking to see if there are patterns. I personally like to see lots of variety in the playoffs, and want to see completely new matchups (and not just DU/DSU).

McNeese_beat
November 14th, 2007, 03:01 PM

GO BIG E !!!!!!

Are Wofford and Richmond within the 350-mile limit? That could happen if they are.

McNeese_beat
November 14th, 2007, 03:06 PM
East Coast bussing bias? xeyebrowx

Of the other three non-BSC games, how many were within bus distance?

Edit: Just looking to see if there are patterns. I personally like to see lots of variety in the playoffs, and want to see completely new matchups (and not just DU/DSU).

LOL. There is an east-coast bussing bias. The funny thing is that even the SWAC that has a chance to get in, Alabama A&M, is more convenient to OVC and Southern Conference opponents than the Southland. It's too bad that Prairie View or Alcorn isn't in A&M's situation, McNeese would be pulling for them 100 percent...

Saluki_man
November 14th, 2007, 03:21 PM

According to SIU AD Mario Moccia, SIU has bid significantly more than what they bid to win a first round game last year. This was said at halftime of the radio broadcast for the SIU/Lincoln Memorial men's basketball exhibition game on Sunday.

Maroons
November 14th, 2007, 03:32 PM
According to SIU AD Mario Moccia, SIU has bid significantly more than what they bid to win a first round game last year. This was said at halftime of the radio broadcast for the SIU/Lincoln Memorial men's basketball exhibition game on Sunday.

Would that be because SIU was outbid by EIU last year?

Cincy App
November 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Are Wofford and Richmond within the 350-mile limit? That could happen if they are.

Wofford is within 350 miles of Richmond, KY but Richmond, VA is not. Wofford would be a possibility for EKU.

UMass922
November 14th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I matched up App. State and UMass on the same bracket because they appear to be the teams vying for the fourth and fifth seed.

If a CAA team gets a seed, it should be Richmond, not UMass (assuming both win on Saturday and SIU and/or ASU falter). Both have two losses (one in the conference) and the Spiders simply have a much stronger resume.

drpnut
November 14th, 2007, 03:58 PM
I think if Wofford and EKU get matched up the game will be in Spartanburg. Certainly the SoCon champ would not have to travel to the OVC.

Fordham
November 14th, 2007, 04:01 PM

ah, not in so many words, UR. AD's at schools like ours say that they submitted the bid and are hoping for the best. That's code for "We are cheap, so we aren't going to bid".

What's interesting is the absurd hypothetical (for entertainment purposes only) - what if we blew the doors off with our bid? Who would we likely host?

Retro
November 14th, 2007, 04:02 PM
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff312/rosintonrebel/ncaabids.jpg?t=1195077607

McTailGator
November 14th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Alright, here I go.

UMass vs. Fordham
3. Montana vs. Wofford

Home teams listed first

Pretty close.

But I give SIU the nod for the No. 4 seed over App State. They only have one loss to the No. 1 Team in the country, and a pretty tough schedule too.

It will be VERY interesting to see who the selction committe choses over Colgate and Alabama A&M... xconfusedx

BDKJMU
November 14th, 2007, 05:14 PM
I think we need someone to start another bracket prediction string- I don't think there's enough...:)

Seriously- hey moderators, you can go back over about the last 1/2 dozen pages (just the last 2 days) find I counted at least 7 playoff prediction threads- why not merge them all together?

Frosty The Snowbuff
November 14th, 2007, 06:29 PM

Alright, here I go.

UMass vs. Fordham
3. Montana vs. Wofford

Home teams listed first

This one is a lock because Southland gets matched up with the Big Sky.....Since Montana will be seeded....that leaves Eastern Washington with no other option but trip to "The Hole"....

Unless some weird BS goes down that is....

Pretty good guess bracket from what I see......

McNeese_beat
November 15th, 2007, 01:32 AM
If a CAA team gets a seed, it should be Richmond, not UMass (assuming both win on Saturday and SIU and/or ASU falter). Both have two losses (one in the conference) and the Spiders simply have a much stronger resume.

So keep the matchups the same, but alter the second-round pairings a little...regionalization would allow for that, since you are matching up according to travel instead of by seed...

McNeese_beat
November 15th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Pretty close.

But I give SIU the nod for the No. 4 seed over App State. They only have one loss to the No. 1 Team in the country, and a pretty tough schedule too.

It will be VERY interesting to see who the selction committe choses over Colgate and Alabama A&M... xconfusedx

I give Appalachian State the nod. I think their schedule is tougher...six games against teams with winning records vs. four for SIU. Their non-conference FCS opponent (Northern Arizona) was tougher than SIU's (Southern Utah, UAPB). Their FBS win (Michigan) was better than SIU's (Northern Illinois).

Plus, for me it factors in that they struggled without Edwards, but with a healthy Edwards, they are probably 11-0 o 10-1 and looking at a top 2 seed.

FGColonel
November 15th, 2007, 07:35 AM
I wasn't disparaging your knowledge. I just found it funny that within a few posts, it was mentioned that the ADs of JMU, UR & EKU have all announced that they would make an "aggressive" bid. My point was did anyone expect them to say "we decided not to bid enough". xwhistlex

I wouldn't be surprised to hear the same statements from the ADs at SIU & Wofford.

I consider us aggressive not because our bids are high but because we have had 5 playoff games in the last 10 years; 3 at home and 2 against a seed. When our attendance never rated a home game.

Did not take it that way. Look, We are just happy to be in. It has been a while for us. Being used to going every year and four straight final games. Ten years is a long time. Although we are doing everything we can to get a home game, bottom line is that it really does not matter. A lot of you think we go to App and that would be great. We have played them several times in recent years and they have been great games. We have always been treated great in Boone and we would just as soon beat them as anybody.:D

appfan2008
November 15th, 2007, 08:08 AM
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff312/rosintonrebel/ncaabids.jpg?t=1195077607

as i thought with those requirements asu will definately have a home game!!!

Saluki_man
November 15th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I give Appalachian State the nod. I think their schedule is tougher...six games against teams with winning records vs. four for SIU. Their non-conference FCS opponent (Northern Arizona) was tougher than SIU's (Southern Utah, UAPB). Their FBS win (Michigan) was better than SIU's (Northern Illinois).

Just a note here, SIU still has one more non-con game left. That game is @Hampton.

appfan2008
November 15th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Just a note here, SIU still has one more non-con game left. That game is @Hampton.

which wont be an easy one especially being down there...

THE HERD
November 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM
How long does it take the committee to get the brackets set up after the last regular season games?? Is it out the following Monday or does it take a week or so?? Looking forward to seeing some of the teams on ESPN. How many games do they usually televise other than the championship? I watched the Griz and UMASS last year, did they televise others last year? Good Luck to all in the playoffs and hopefully we will be joining in on the fun next year.xthumbsupx

McTailGator
November 15th, 2007, 02:39 PM
How long does it take the committee to get the brackets set up after the last regular season games?? Is it out the following Monday or does it take a week or so?? Looking forward to seeing some of the teams on ESPN. How many games do they usually televise other than the championship? I watched the Griz and UMASS last year, did they televise others last year? Good Luck to all in the playoffs and hopefully we will be joining in on the fun next year.xthumbsupx

What a lot of people do not realize is the committee has already been working on the brackets for several weeks now. Moving people on and off and all around when teams lose, or even win. They meet via conference call on Sunday morning to just to confirm their last thoughts.

james_lawfirm
November 15th, 2007, 02:44 PM

Looking forward to seeing NDSU in the playoff hunt next year. Good luck in the Gateway.

The brackets will be announced at 3:30 on Sunday (this coming) on ESPNU. A number of the games will be televised - my guess is the day after T'giving at 1:30 is one televised game (it would not be Friday at 1:30 unless ESPN were going to televise it). (A number of AGS posters are guessing that ASU gets a home game Friday at 1:30 on ESPN). Then probably at least one game on Sat. will be televised. In the quarterfinals, all games seem to be on Sat., so I would guess at least 1 game will be televised. Then, the semis - one on Friday & one on Sat. will be televised.

BearsCountry
November 15th, 2007, 02:47 PM
A Delaware/Delaware State would be a ESPN game IMO. Especially after the OTL report. You know they would have to pimp something they wanted.

MSU_77
November 15th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Hell, if you're going to go to the trouble of making brackets, go ahead and fill them in:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2248/2035918774_c54899bc7a_o.jpg

RAMS83
November 15th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Fordham is not getting sent to UNI. We'll face UMass - Richmond - JMU or even Hofstra (if they beat UMass this wknd) in the 1st round.. In ur bracket Wofford would go to Richmond and Fordham to UMass.

If you do however need us to knock off the 1 seed -- thatwont be a problem -- just not going to be in the 1st round.. lol

McCowboyFan
November 15th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Hell, if you're going to go to the trouble of making brackets, go ahead and fill them in:

Works for me!

ekufbfan
November 15th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I think if Wofford and EKU get matched up the game will be in Spartanburg. Certainly the SoCon champ would not have to travel to the OVC.

Surely they might...xeyebrowx
GO BIG E!!!!

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2007, 05:49 PM

Pretty good. Too bad you got the title game winner wrong. (I also have some doubts about Richmond winning in the UNIDome).
xsmiley_wix

MSU_77
November 15th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Pretty good. Too bad you got the title game winner wrong. (I also have some doubts about Richmond winning in the UNIDome).
xsmiley_wix

I do, too. But, they won at Delaware, and there has to be an upset or two.