PDA

View Full Version : CS Fullerton pushing to restart Football

ChooChoo
November 13th, 2007, 12:47 PM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=45&f=2230&t=1382289#s=45&f=2230&t=1382289
It appears a group of alumni, students, and former players are attempting to bring back Titan football 15 years after they played their last game. What are their chances? Is this the GWFC's answer or do you figure they have "bowling" on their mind?

poly51
November 13th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Wow, that would be great. Cal State Fullerton is already in the Big West so the Great West Football Conference would be a great fit. There is no mention of what level they are contemplating but I would think FBS would be way too difficult.

appfan2008
November 13th, 2007, 02:13 PM
fcs football could definately use more presence on the west coast and in the state of california would be great for all

AggieFinn
November 13th, 2007, 03:12 PM
(crossing fingers) would love some trips to Orange County during the fall, could catch more Social D shows.

I Bleed Purple
November 13th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Would give the Big Sky one more team to try to fill its non-con schedule. And another team for Montana to bail on once the UM home game is played.

TheBisonator
November 13th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I just checked Google Maps for a pic of CSF's football stadium. It looks like a perfect place for an FCS team. Looks like it seats 12,000 or so (visual estimate). Just resod the grass field or install some field turf, and they're good to go.

sikolec
November 13th, 2007, 04:22 PM
That would be awesome for CS Fullerton to start a football program back up. Here is a link to the stadium, Titan Stadium is the bottom most facility on the page.

http://fullertontitans.cstv.com/facilities/csfu-facilities.html

FargoBison
November 13th, 2007, 04:27 PM
If they moved up it would bring the GWFC up to the needed 6 teams for an auto. It would definitely be a nice boost to football in the west as well.

slostang
November 13th, 2007, 05:42 PM
It would be great if Fullerton and UOP (I have heard rumblings from there too) were to bring back their football programs at the FCS level. That would bring the GWFC to 7 teams of which 4 would be in California.

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2007, 06:03 PM
CS-Fullerton's football stadium looks very similar to that of SHSU's...

Would be great if the GWFC could get CS-Fullerton into the fold. It'd really help that conference stay afloat...

Go Poly
November 13th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I just checked Google Maps for a pic of CSF's football stadium. It looks like a perfect place for an FCS team. Looks like it seats 12,000 or so (visual estimate). Just resod the grass field or install some field turf, and they're good to go.

According to the Titan website it seats 10,000....my impression is that it came into existence a year prior to them discontinuing football in 1992. That means they must have had an older, probably larger, stadium given the fact they were 1-A when they played.

USDFAN_55
November 13th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Sounds like another team in California the San Diego AD can avoid and conveniently schedule a game with LaSallexsmhx

BearsCountry
November 13th, 2007, 06:46 PM
It would be great if Fullerton and UOP (I have heard rumblings from there too) were to bring back their football programs at the FCS level. That would bring the GWFC to 7 teams of which 4 would be in California.

You think the Big West would take over running the GWFC if that happens?

poly51
November 13th, 2007, 06:48 PM
According to the Titans board that is linked at the beginning of this thread they are considering I-AA/FCS and the Great West. They say the response has been great.

AZBison
November 13th, 2007, 06:53 PM
This is great news, but I can't help but remember how rude and classless their fans were this year during the College World Series, I'm an ASU Sun Devil BTW (but I grew up in ND and went to NDSU for 2 years).

Calif_Colonial
November 13th, 2007, 10:21 PM
I think they would be a great addition to the Great West. They have the facilities which is a major plus. I remember out here when CS Northridge cut football. Their new AD at the time was down on football before the inked dried on her contract. CS Northridge just did not have the stadium and support of the community around the campus in the San Fernando Valley. Expansion was not going to happen with the cost of real estate in the valley. Since CS Fullerton has the stadium I hope they can make it happen for the school and the rest of the institutions in the Great West Football Conference. Good Luck !

JMUFortier
November 13th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I hope this happens for CS Fullerton. There are a lot of schools that are D-1 in California and I would love to see the Great West thrive, potentially as a conference for California-based 1-CS schools. If there is one place where our brand of football can grow, it is out west.

bonarae
November 14th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Hehe. Great idea. At least there would be one more Division I football program in California, especially where some of the HS players playing FCS elsewhere come from... but where football programs in that level is somewhat lacking in number.

I think the GWFC would be fitting for them. (I am a Fullerton fan myself in baseball and softball)

sikolec
November 14th, 2007, 02:23 AM
With talks with both Pacific and Fullerton (and I fully understand it's just talk), what is the average amount of time it takes a program to start up football? Are their any examples around the country for I-AA/FCS that had talks of starting up a program to the actuality of doing it and playing the first games? What is the time frame we're talking?

lucchesicourt
November 14th, 2007, 05:07 AM
I have a question. If CSF or UOP were to add football again, and become a member of the GWFC, would they have to wait 4 years before becoming playoff elgible?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 14th, 2007, 08:26 AM
I have a question. If CSF or UOP were to add football again, and become a member of the GWFC, would they have to wait 4 years before becoming playoff elgible?

No since they're already Division I. What conference are they in now, the WCC? And is Cal Poly and Davis in that conference too in other sports? I think UOP is.

JBB
November 14th, 2007, 08:34 AM
That would be great news for the GWFC. There is a void there, seems likely schools will move to fill it.

BearsCountry
November 14th, 2007, 12:14 PM
No since they're already Division I. What conference are they in now, the WCC? And is Cal Poly and Davis in that conference too in other sports? I think UOP is.

They are all in the Big West.