View Full Version : Payton Award

appstate38
November 13th, 2007, 12:18 PM
With more names being added to the finalist list, Who has the inside track on the Payton Award so far. For me I would have a hard time giving the award to Santos again. Considering where his team is right now. He is definitely in the conversation but I don't see how he would get it when there have been many worthy candidates all over the FCS map. Cuff and Hightower come to mind, as well as Foster from GSU and the RB from NDSU. I would put Richardson in the conversation but only as a very LONG shot.

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 13th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Elon's Terrell Hudgins was just added. He should've been on the list 6 weeks ago.

gsueaglefan
November 13th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Foster is the unquestioned winner!

GannonFan
November 13th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Nah, Cuff looks better.

crunifan
November 13th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I would like to think Sanders from UNI will be considered, but UNI runs such a balanced offense that he won't get the stats necessary to get enough attention. That and he didn't even play half a game last week (might not this week, either).

GannonFan
November 13th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I would like to think Sanders from UNI will be considered, but UNI runs such a balanced offense that he won't get the stats necessary to get enough attention. That and he didn't even play half a game last week (might not this week, either).

Yeah, Sanders is good, but he has nowhere near the stats to get the nod. Heck, Nick Hill from SIU has much better stats and would be much more likely to get it than Sanders. But I'm sure everyone would like to trade places with Sanders and be on the #1 team looking at home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

nmatsen
November 13th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Yeah, Sanders is good, but he has nowhere near the stats to get the nod. Heck, Nick Hill from SIU has much better stats and would be much more likely to get it than Sanders. But I'm sure everyone would like to trade places with Sanders and be on the #1 team looking at home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Ya, Hill looked great in October at the UNI DOME against Sanders.

ATT COM INT Yards TD Long
Sanders, Eric
26 19 0 253 1 40

Hill, Nick
45 33 3 436 3 49

Sometimes Stats can be decieving. If Eric Sanders was able to throw 45 attempts a game I am confident that no one would even be talking about other candidates for the Payton. I wouldn't exactly say that Hill's stats are better. He just throws more than Sanders. His stats are actually WORSE in my opinion. Probably in a lot of peoples, including head coaches.

GannonFan
November 13th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Sanders, Eric
26 19 0 253 1 40

Hill, Nick
45 33 3 436 3 49

Sometimes Stats can be decieving. If Eric Sanders was able to throw 45 attempts a game I am confident that no one would even be talking about other candidates for the Payton. I wouldn't exactly say that Hill's stats are better. He just throws more than Sanders. His stats are actually WORSE in my opinion. Probably in a lot of peoples, including head coaches.

Actually, just looking over the stats, I don't see where you're coming from - Sanders doesn't throw the ball that much less than Hill and actually, their stats are very similar:

PA Comp Yds TD INT Rating
Hill 255 185 2310 20 4 171
Sanders 220 169 2031 13 5 169

By those stats, Sanders throws the ball about 3 less times per game than Hill - hardly the difference between a run heavy and a pass heavy offense. I'd actually call the two guys fairly even. But I don't think either is really a Payton Award winner.

appfan2008
November 13th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I would give it to foster... by far the best player i have seen this year

Barnstormer
November 13th, 2007, 02:23 PM
They Payton is for the best player, right? Is there a MVP award as well? The reason I say that is the best player and MVP are not always the same, ya know?

Sanders would be more of a MVP type player.. know what I mean? It's the age old debate.. stats v. importance to the team type of thing.... I dunno.

FCS Preview
November 13th, 2007, 02:25 PM
They Payton is for the best player, right? Is there a MVP award as well? The reason I say that is the best player and MVP are not always the same, ya know?

Sanders would be more of a MVP type player.. know what I mean? It's the age old debate.. stats v. importance to the team type of thing.... I dunno.
This is it.
There's also Buchanan for best Defensive player

colorless raider
November 13th, 2007, 02:26 PM
How about the leading rusher in FCS? That would be Red Raider rb Jordan Scott.

Barnstormer
November 13th, 2007, 02:35 PM
This is it.
There's also Buchanan for best Defensive player

Then my vote is for Sanders. :-) That dude has been playing with a F'd up shoulder since Game 1 of Gateway play.

Biff
November 13th, 2007, 02:52 PM

I would have to say so. I thought Duran Lawson's numbers were going to give him a good shot, but missing the last few games hurt I guess moved him on the list.

Thunderstruck84
November 13th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I think it'll come down to Jayson Foster or Omar Cuff, both are having sensational years and are deserving. Right now I'd have to give the nod to Foster. The homer in me would love to put Tyler Roehl in the conversation but due to his limited workload in some games and sitting out entirely vs SUU he won't have the carries to put him in contention.

DTSpider
November 13th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Hightower's chances are a little longer being from Richmond (i.e. not the prestige & reputation of GSU & UD), having a very young team around him, and getting hurt at UD. I'd argue Hightower deserves the award over Cuff due to the presence of Flacco, but I think it'll go to either Foster or Cuff. Being from a "name" school always makes a difference.

Ronin
November 13th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Sanders, Eric
26 19 0 253 1 40

Hill, Nick
45 33 3 436 3 49

I would agree the 3 interceptions hurt Hill. Sanders won't put up impressive total yards, etc. because of the balanced attack... a necessity for winning games.

unhfan1
November 13th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I have seen both Hightower and Cuff play UNH. I would go with Hightower.

skinny_uncle
November 13th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Actually, just looking over the stats, I don't see where you're coming from - Sanders doesn't throw the ball that much less than Hill and actually, their stats are very similar:

PA Comp Yds TD INT Rating
Hill 255 185 2310 20 4 171
Sanders 220 169 2031 13 5 169

By those stats, Sanders throws the ball about 3 less times per game than Hill - hardly the difference between a run heavy and a pass heavy offense. I'd actually call the two guys fairly even. But I don't think either is really a Payton Award winner.

Those stats are based on the whole season where the other set that was posted was based on one game. Neither gets the huge passing numbers because they play for teams who have a balanced attack between the pass and run. I would take either of these guys over some who have larger numbers. They do what it takes to win games.

colgate13
November 13th, 2007, 07:32 PM
How about the leading rusher in FCS? That would be Red Raider rb Jordan Scott.

Not going to happen. We can hope for next year though!