PDA

View Full Version : The Contenders - final week

ChickenMan
November 13th, 2007, 08:37 AM
The auto bids are in for evey league but the CAA.. the following schools are in:

Montana
UNI
Del St
EKU
Fordham
Wofford
McNeese St

Richmond or UMass

here are next week's games involving the remaining at-large playoff contenders:

UMass (8-2) @ Hofstra (7-3)

Delaware (8-2) @ Villanova (6-4)

Towson (3-7) @ JMU (7-3)

W&M (4-6) @ Richmond (8-2)

SIU (9-1) @ Hampton (6-4)

Winston-Salem (6-4) @ Norfolk St (7-3)

Colgate (7-3) @ Holy Cross (6-4)

UTC (2-8) @ ASU (8-2)

GSU (7-3) @ Colorado St (1-8)

Alabama A&M (8-2) @ Praire View (6-3)

Samford (4-6) @ EIU (7-3)

Weber St (5-5) @ EWU (7-3)

Houndawg
November 13th, 2007, 09:00 AM
What's the word on Hampton this year?

bandl
November 13th, 2007, 09:09 AM
What's the word on Hampton this year?

Done. No chance for post-season. Probably going to lose another one this saturday as well. :(

89Hen
November 13th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I'm sure it's been posted on one of the dozen threads about playoff scenarios, but I'm too lazy to look it up. After posting the game of the week I realized that the CAA is a CF if Hofstra beats UMass and W&M beats Richmond. We could have...

Richmond 8-3 (6-2)
Massachusetts 8-3 (6-2)
Delaware 8-3 (6-2)
James Madison 8-3 (6-2)
Hofstra 8-3 (5-3)

Is Hofstra out, even though they would have just beaten UMass (other wins over Furman and Albany)?

IaaScribe
November 13th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Here's the CAA tiebreaker scenario, as sent to me by the conference office:

CAA Football NCAA Division I Football Championships Automatic Bid & Conference Championship Scenarios
Nov. 12, 2007

Four teams (Massachusetts, Richmond, Delaware and James Madison) remain in contention for the CAA Football automatic bid into the NCAA Division I National Championship.

The Richmond-William and Mary game kicks off at noon on Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic from Richmond, Va. The Massachusetts-Hofstra game kicks off at noon on ESPNU from Hempstead, N.Y. The James Madison-Towson game kicks off at 1:30 p.m. in Harrisonburg, Va. The Delaware-Villanova game kicks off live at 3:30 p.m. on CN8 from Villanova, Pa.

Listed below are the three possible scenarios for Massachusetts, Richmond, Delaware and James Madison this weekend:

(1) If either Massachusetts or Richmond wins and the other team loses, the team which wins will be CAA Football Champion by virtue of its 7-1 conference record.

(2) If both Massachusetts and Richmond win: The two teams are recognized as 2007 CAA Football Champions. The fourth outside-of-division tiebreaker -- a majority vote by the conference’s Athletics Directors (excluding the Athletics Directors of Richmond and Massachusetts) – will determine which team receives the conference’s automatic bid.

-- Outside-of-Division tiebreaker:
1. Head-to-Head matchup: Massachusetts and Richmond did not face each other this season.

2. Record versus common CAA Football opponents: Massachusetts is 5-1 with wins over Towson, Villanova, Northeastern, William and Mary, New Hampshire and a loss to Rhode Island. Richmond is 5-1 with wins over Northeastern, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Villanova, William and Mary and a loss to Towson.

3. Point system for non-conference games: Massachusetts earns one (1) point each for wins over Holy Cross (Patriot), Colgate (Patriot) and no points for a loss to Boston College (FBS) -- a total of two points. Richmond earns one (1) point each for wins over Bucknell (Patriot), Stony Brook (Scholarship Independent) and no points for a loss to Vanderbilt (FBS) -- a total of two points.

4. If the above tie-breakers fail to determine an automatic qualifier, a majority vote by the Directors of Athletics would then declare the Conference’s automatic qualifier.

(3) If both Massachusetts and Richmond lose and either (or both) Delaware and James Madison win: The three/four teams are recognized as 2007 CAA Football Champions and the automatic qualifier will be determined applying the scenarios listed below:

a. If James Madison wins (regardless of the Delaware outcome) it will receive the automatic qualifier by virtue of a 6-0 mark against common CAA Football opponents.

NOTE: Record versus common CAA Football opponents in scenario (3a): James Madison is 6-0 with wins over New Hampshire, Villanova, Northeastern, Rhode Island, William and Mary and Towson. Delaware is 5-1 with wins over William and Mary, Rhode Island, Towson, Northeastern, Villanova and a loss to New Hampshire. Massachusetts is 5-1 with wins over Towson, Villanova, Northeastern, William and Mary, New Hampshire and a loss to Rhode Island. Richmond is 4-2 with wins over Northeastern, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Villanova and losses to Towson and William and Mary.

b. If Delaware wins and James Madison loses, Delaware and Massachusetts will be tied at 5-1 against common CAA Football opponents, while Richmond will be 4-2. Delaware will be the automatic qualifier according to the point system for non-conference games as a result of its victory over Navy (FBS opponent).

NOTE:  Point system for non-conference games in the scenario (3b): Delaware earns one (1) point for a win over Monmouth (Northeast) and two (2) points for a win over Navy (FBS) -- a total of three points. Massachusetts earns one (1) point each for wins over Holy Cross (Patriot), Colgate (Patriot) and no points for a loss to Boston College (FBS) -- a total of two points.

The CAA Football Tie-breaker can be found on page seven of the 2007 CAA Football Media Guide, which can be found on the football page at CAASports.com.

danefan
November 13th, 2007, 09:43 AM
The auto bids are in for evey league but the CAA.. the following schools are in:

Montana
UNI
Del St
EKU
Fordham
Wofford
McNeese St

Richmond or UMass

here are next week's games involving the remaining at-large playoff contenders:

UMass (8-2) @ Hofstra (7-3)

Delaware (8-2) @ Villanova (6-4)

Towson (3-7) @ JMU (7-3)

W&M (4-6) @ Richmond (8-2)

SIU (9-1) @ Hampton (6-4)

Winston-Salem (6-4) @ Norfolk St (7-3)

Colgate (7-3) @ Holy Cross (6-4)

UTC (2-8) @ ASU (8-2)

GSU (7-3) @ Colorado St (1-8)

Alabama A&M (8-2) @ Praire View (6-3)

Samford (4-6) @ EIU (7-3)

Weber St (5-5) @ EWU (7-3)

Albany (7-3) @ Central Conn. (6-4)

Fixed it for you.xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx
If you're going to put Colgate, there's no reason you shouldn't put Albany.xpeacex

URMite
November 13th, 2007, 09:47 AM

CAA Football NCAA Division I Football Championships Automatic Bid & Conference Championship Scenarios
Nov. 12, 2007

Four teams (Massachusetts, Richmond, Delaware and James Madison) remain in contention for the CAA Football automatic bid into the NCAA Division I National Championship.

The Richmond-William and Mary game kicks off at noon on Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic from Richmond, Va. The Massachusetts-Hofstra game kicks off at noon on ESPNU from Hempstead, N.Y. The James Madison-Towson game kicks off at 1:30 p.m. in Harrisonburg, Va. The Delaware-Villanova game kicks off live at 3:30 p.m. on CN8 from Villanova, Pa.

Listed below are the three possible scenarios for Massachusetts, Richmond, Delaware and James Madison this weekend:

(1) If either Massachusetts or Richmond wins and the other team loses, the team which wins will be CAA Football Champion by virtue of its 7-1 conference record.

(2) If both Massachusetts and Richmond win: The two teams are recognized as 2007 CAA Football Champions. The fourth outside-of-division tiebreaker -- a majority vote by the conference’s Athletics Directors (excluding the Athletics Directors of Richmond and Massachusetts) – will determine which team receives the conference’s automatic bid.

1. Head-to-Head matchup: Massachusetts and Richmond did not face each other this season.

2. Record versus common CAA Football opponents: Massachusetts is 5-1 with wins over Towson, Villanova, Northeastern, William and Mary, New Hampshire and a loss to Rhode Island. Richmond is 5-1 with wins over Northeastern, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Villanova, William and Mary and a loss to Towson.

3. Point system for non-conference games: Massachusetts earns one (1) point each for wins over Holy Cross (Patriot), Colgate (Patriot) and no points for a loss to Boston College (FBS) -- a total of two points. Richmond earns one (1) point each for wins over Bucknell (Patriot), Stony Brook (Scholarship Independent) and no points for a loss to Vanderbilt (FBS) -- a total of two points.

4. If the above tie-breakers fail to determine an automatic qualifier, a majority vote by the Directors of Athletics would then declare the Conference’s automatic qualifier.

(3) If both Massachusetts and Richmond lose and either (or both) Delaware and James Madison win: The three/four teams are recognized as 2007 CAA Football Champions and the automatic qualifier will be determined applying the scenarios listed below:

a. If James Madison wins (regardless of the Delaware outcome) it will receive the automatic qualifier by virtue of a 6-0 mark against common CAA Football opponents.

NOTE: Record versus common CAA Football opponents in scenario (3a): James Madison is 6-0 with wins over New Hampshire, Villanova, Northeastern, Rhode Island, William and Mary and Towson. Delaware is 5-1 with wins over William and Mary, Rhode Island, Towson, Northeastern, Villanova and a loss to New Hampshire. Massachusetts is 5-1 with wins over Towson, Villanova, Northeastern, William and Mary, New Hampshire and a loss to Rhode Island. Richmond is 4-2 with wins over Northeastern, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Villanova and losses to Towson and William and Mary.

b. If Delaware wins and James Madison loses, Delaware and Massachusetts will be tied at 5-1 against common CAA Football opponents, while Richmond will be 4-2. Delaware will be the automatic qualifier according to the point system for non-conference games as a result of its victory over Navy (FBS opponent).

NOTE:  Point system for non-conference games in the scenario (3b): Delaware earns one (1) point for a win over Monmouth (Northeast) and two (2) points for a win over Navy (FBS) -- a total of three points. Massachusetts earns one (1) point each for wins over Holy Cross (Patriot), Colgate (Patriot) and no points for a loss to Boston College (FBS) -- a total of two points.

The CAA Football Tie-breaker can be found on page seven of the 2007 CAA Football Media Guide, which can be found on the football page at CAASports.com.

So we get our point for Stony Brook.

Interesting that because of the CAA schedule, if two teams tie with another team that neither played then winning the head to head actually hurts.

URMite
November 13th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Fixed it for you.xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx
If you're going to put Colgate, there's no reason you shouldn't put Albany.xpeacex

The CAA seems to be recognizing the progress of the NEC.

In determining SOS OOC for purposes of the AQ:

2006 - NEC/PFL/MAAC = .5pts
2007 - NEC = 1 pt PFL/MAAC = 0 pts

Other FCS = 1 pt

Thought you might appreciate that. xsmiley_wix

danefan
November 13th, 2007, 09:54 AM
The CAA seems to be recognizing the progress of the NEC.

In determining SOS OOC for purposes of the AQ:

2006 - NEC/PFL/MAAC = .5pts
2007 - NEC = 1 pt PFL/MAAC = 0 pts

Other FCS = 1 pt

Thought you might appreciate that. xsmiley_wix

Nice. I'm sure Delaware had something to do with that change last year.xthumbsupx

URMite
November 13th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I wonder if UNH knew that before scheduling Iona this year?

mcveyrl
November 13th, 2007, 10:04 AM

xeekx xeekx xeekx

This completely changes my outlook on this weekend!! I thought that if UMass, Richmond and UD lost we'd be out regardless.

But if that happens and we win, we're the autobid with nothing to worry about!!

Go Tribe and Pride!!!

danefan
November 13th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I'm hoping that everyone at 7-3 loses except for Colgate and Hofstra.
And of course we win.

That's our only real shot. We'd be 8-3 with losses against 3 playoff teams (assuming Colgate and Hofstra get in at 8-3) and a win over Fordham.

It will come down to us, Dayton at 10-1 and a bunch of 7-4 teams. Now if I was making the decisions, I'd take a 7-4 team with a win or close loss to an FBS team before I'd take Dayton, Albany or Colgate at 8-3. I'm not so sure the committee will do that though.

Oh I love this time of year.

URMite
November 13th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Nice. I'm sure Delaware had something to do with that change last year.xthumbsupx

Could be! xcoolx
Of course, I wouldn't have noticed right away if it wasn't for Stony Brook. xreadx

bandl
November 13th, 2007, 10:08 AM
xeekx xeekx xeekx

This completely changes my outlook on this weekend!! I thought that if UMass, Richmond and UD lost we'd be out regardless.

But if that happens and we win, we're the autobid with nothing to worry about!!

Go Tribe and Pride!!!

That is insane and just plain stupid. Who is the brainiac in the CAA who came up with this??? If JMU and UD end up with the same conference record, then it should come down to the head-to-head meeting first, not common opponent records. UD should get the auto. But I’ll still take it!

Go Margaret & Richard and Pride!!!! xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
November 13th, 2007, 10:11 AM
That is insane and just plain stupid. Who is the brainiac in the CAA who came up with this??? If JMU and UD end up with the same conference record, then it should come down to the head-to-head meeting first, not common opponent records. UD should get the auto. But I’ll still take it!

I agree. It makes no sense that UD and Richmond (who we both lost to) would not get the auto bid over us.

But again, I'll take what I can get.

FCS Preview
November 13th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Obviously, you have not looked at the conference standings.

Richmond (6-1)
UDel (5-2)
JMU (5-2)

The only way for UDel and JMU to be tied for first, would be if Richmond also lost, creating a 3-way tie for first. ALSO...UMass has to lose to Hofstra, because they are also (6-1) and if they win, they are (7-1).

So...in order for UDel and JMU to be tied for first, Richmond and UMass also have to lose, which creates a FOUR way tie at (6-2).

Got it?

mcveyrl
November 13th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Richmond (6-1)
UDel (5-2)
JMU (5-2)

The only way for UDel and JMU to be tied for first, would be if Richmond also lost, creating a 3-way tie for first. ALSO...UMass has to lose to Hofstra, because they are also (6-1) and if they win, they are (7-1).

So...in order for UDel and JMU to be tied for first, Richmond and UMass also have to lose, which creates a FOUR way tie at (6-2).

Got it?

That's why he's rooting for W&M and Hofstra.

Got it?xthumbsupx

bandl
November 13th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Richmond (6-1)
UDel (5-2)
JMU (5-2)

Got it?

Obviously you don't know how message boards work. Go back and read posts prior to mine and you'll understand (hopefully) what I was referring to. It's some tough reading...take Tylenol for any headaches, Mydol for any cramps.

Nov. 12, 2007

Got it?xrolleyesx

FCS Preview
November 13th, 2007, 10:19 AM
That's why he's rooting for W&M and Hofstra.

Got it?xthumbsupx

Yes, but he said: "If JMU and UD end up with the same conference record, then it should come down to the head-to-head meeting first, not common opponent records."

It's IMPOSSIBLE for JMU and UD to tie for first place, without UMass and Richmond ALSO being tied for first...

bandl
November 13th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Yes, but he said: "If JMU and UD end up with the same conference record, then it should come down to the head-to-head meeting first, not common opponent records."

It's IMPOSSIBLE for JMU and UD to tie for first place, without UMass and Richmond ALSO being tied for first...

Please tell me where I said anything about 'first place' xcoffeex

I'll wait. xwhistlex

mcveyrl
November 13th, 2007, 10:23 AM

That's why he is rooting for W&M (who is playing Richmond) and Hofstra (who is playing UMass).

If that happens, it doesn't matter what UD does.

If we were only tied with UD it WOULD come down to head to head, but we have to have UR and UMass there so the common conference opponent tie breaker comes into play.

FCS Preview
November 13th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Obviously you don't know how message boards work. Go back and read posts prior to mine and you'll understand (hopefully) what I was referring to. It's some tough reading...take Tylenol for any headaches, Mydol for any cramps.

Yeah, I got the same e-mails from the Conference.

You said: "If JMU and UD end up with the same conference record, then it should come down to the head-to-head meeting first, not common opponent records. UD should get the auto."

Again...it is IMPOSSIBLE for JMU and UD to tie for first place, without UMass and Richmond ALSO being tied for first...and since UMass did not play any of those other teams, how do you go to head-to-head?

bandl
November 13th, 2007, 10:24 AM

Oh, and let's not forget about this little information nugget.

Hince...I am rooting for Dick & Margaret and the Pride. Got it? xcoolx

FCS Preview
November 13th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Please tell me where I said anything about 'first place' xcoffeex

I'll wait. xwhistlex

Well, if you're quoting the tie-breaker procedures to me, they're only used for 1st place. Who cares who finishes 2nd in the Southern Division of the CAA? There is no Wild Card to the playoffs for a second place finish.

bandl
November 13th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Well, if you're quoting the tie-breaker procedures to me, they're only used for 1st place. Who cares who finishes 2nd in the Southern Division of the CAA? There is no Wild Card to the playoffs for a second place finish.

Troll,
I am referring to the AQ, not first place. Nor am I referring to second place in the Southern Division (when did I mention first place, second place, wild card, or Southern Division??) If you want to read more into it, which you clearly do, have at it. Enjoy yourself.

mcveyrl
November 13th, 2007, 10:27 AM

You said: "If JMU and UD end up with the same conference record, then it should come down to the head-to-head meeting first, not common opponent records. UD should get the auto."

Again...it is IMPOSSIBLE for JMU and UD to tie for first place, without UMass and Richmond ALSO being tied for first...and since UMass did not play any of those other teams, how do you go to head-to-head?

We all get that. And we got it before you stated the obvious.

I think he's talking about from a fairness standpoint, not literally. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Is this Tom Yeager??

URMite
November 13th, 2007, 10:54 AM
So we get our point for Stony Brook.

Interesting that because of the CAA schedule, if two teams tie with another team that neither played then winning the head to head actually hurts.

Head to Head does count first, but if all the tied teams don't play each other then it doesn't count. (that was left out of the official explanation)

And losing head to head doesn't count against common opponent in that case either.

So if all teams haven't played, the more head to head losses you have the better off you are.

JMU/UD/UR/UMass head to head 0-2/1-1/2-0/0-0 common opponents 6-0/5-1/4-2/5-1 non common opponents 0-0/0-0/0-0/1-1

FCS Preview
November 13th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Troll,
I am referring to the AQ, not first place. Nor am I referring to second place in the Southern Division (when did I mention first place, second place, wild card, or Southern Division??) If you want to read more into it, which you clearly do, have at it. Enjoy yourself.
Well, you can't tie for the AQ, you can only tie for first place.
The tie-breakers decide the AQ.

And it is impossible for JMU and UD to tie for first place, without UMass and Richmond ALSO being tied for first...

So then explain what you meant by "If JMU and UD end up with the same conference record, then it should come down to the head-to-head meeting first, not common opponent records."

That WOULD happen, if nobody else tied with them...so what was the point of your original rant?

FCS Preview
November 13th, 2007, 11:01 AM
We all get that. And we got it before you stated the obvious.

I think he's talking about from a fairness standpoint, not literally. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

And if only two teams, in the same division, tied for first place, then head-to-head would break the tie. Or two teams from opposite divisions that played each other.

This is how they break ties when teams have not played each other.

FCS Preview
November 13th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Head to Head does count first, but if all the tied teams don't play each other then it doesn't count. (that was left out of the official explanation)

No, it's in there...

URMite
November 13th, 2007, 11:06 AM

And it is impossible for JMU and UD to tie for first place, without UMass and Richmond ALSO being tied for first...

So then explain what you meant by "If JMU and UD end up with the same conference record, then it should come down to the head-to-head meeting first, not common opponent records."

That WOULD happen, if nobody else tied with them...so what was the point of your original rant?

I think the problem is that the official explanation doesn't mention that if UMass is tied with any of the others that all of the head to heads are not used. Head to head is only applicable if all teams have played each other. That is why it moves to common opponents.

That's what makes it look strange that winning head to head reduces your chances in the tiebreaker in that case.

bandl
November 13th, 2007, 11:07 AM

HOLY CRAP, what the hell is your f&cking problem troll?? xmadx What the f&ck do you want??

MY POINT WAS THAT IF MARGIE & DICKIE AND THE PRIDE BOTH WIN, AND JMU WINS, REGARDLESS OF WHAT UD DOES, JMU WILL GET THE AUTOMATIC QUALIFIER. I DON'T AGREE WITH THAT AS I THINK THAT IF IT CAME DOWN TO UD VS. JMU FOR THE AQ THEN UD SHOULD GET THE AQ BASED ON HEAD-TO-HEAD, BUT THAT'S NOW HOW THE RULES ARE WRITTEN UP IN THE CAA. EXACTLY WHAT I SAID EARLIER. AND EXACTLY WHAT SEVERAL OF US HAVE SAID IN THIS THREAD. I DON’T CARE ABOUT FIRST PLACE, SECOND PLACE, FOUR-WAY TIES. ALL I CARE ABOUT IS THE AQ, AS I ORIGINALLY STATED. END OF DISCUSSION. NOW GO AWAY TROLL. xnonono2x

FCS Preview
November 13th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I think the problem is that the official explanation doesn't mention that if UMass is tied with any of the others that all of the head to heads are not used. Head to head is only applicable if all teams have played each other. That is why it moves to common opponents.

That's what makes it look strange that winning head to head reduces your chances in the tiebreaker in that case.

UMass didn't play any of the other contenders. So you can't use head-to-head at all.

URMite
November 13th, 2007, 11:10 AM
No, it's in there...

Last point, since I think everyone understands by now.

The reader has to know to carry (2) 1. to (3) since they didn't repeat it as step one in number (3) so (3) looks like it starts with common opponents instead of head to head.

FCS Preview
November 13th, 2007, 11:12 AM
HOLY CRAP, what the hell is your f&cking problem troll?? xmadx What the f&ck do you want??

MY POINT WAS THAT IF MARGIE & DICKIE AND THE PRIDE BOTH WIN, AND JMU WINS, REGARDLESS OF WHAT UD DOES, JMU WILL THE AUTOMATIC QUALIFIER. I DON'T AGREE WITH THAT AS I THINK THAT IF IT CAME DOWN TO UD VS. JMU FOR THE AQ THEN UD SHOULD GET THE AQ BASED ON HEAD-TO-HEAD, BUT THAT'S NOW HOW THE RULES ARE WRITTEN UP IN THE CAA. EXACTLY WHAT I SAID EARLIER. AND EXACTLY WHAT SEVERAL OF US HAVE SAID IN THIS THREAD. I DON’T CARE ABOUT FIRST PLACE, SECOND PLACE, FOUR-WAY TIES. ALL I CARE ABOUT IS THE AQ, AS I ORIGINALLY STATED. END OF DISCUSSION. NOW GO AWAY TROLL. xnonono2x

And how exactly, would JMU and UDel tie for the AQ?
If Hofstra wins, and W&M win, (as you state) then you have: UMass (6-2), Richmond (6-2), JMU (6-2) and throw in UDel at (6-2).

So how does JMU and UDel tie at (6-2), without UMass and Richmond also being tied at (6-2)? IT IS IMPOSSIBLE.

URMite
November 13th, 2007, 11:14 AM
UMass didn't play any of the other contenders. So you can't use head-to-head at all.

That's what I was saying. I just don't think it is explicit in the official explanation. Everyone knows that now. Head to head is only applicable if all tied teams have play all of the other tied teams. Moving on...xrolleyesx

danefan
November 13th, 2007, 11:15 AM
xpopcornx

bandl
November 13th, 2007, 11:17 AM
And how exactly, would JMU and UDel tie for the AQ?
If Hofstra wins, and W&M win, (as you state) then you have: UMass (6-2), Richmond (6-2), JMU (6-2) and throw in UDel at (6-2).

So how does JMU and UDel tie at (6-2), without UMass and Richmond also being tied at (6-2)? IT IS IMPOSSIBLE.

Once again Troll....when did I ever say that UM and UR would NOT also be tied with JMU and UD at 6-2? xcoffeex

And once again...

Now can you handle this math? Can you see how all 4 teams could end up at 6-2? And if they did, can you comprehend how JMU wins the AQ?

URMite
November 13th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Let's throw another log on the fire. xpopcornx

We know that if all 4 are tied JMU gets the AQ.

If JMU/UD/UR/UMass are tied who do you think deserves the AQ?

89Hen
November 13th, 2007, 11:25 AM
xpopcornx
I'm with you.

WTF guys, settle down and stop arguing semantics.

We all know what bandl meant. I think all he's saying is that once UR and UMass are eliminated by the other tie-breakers, that when it comes down to JMU and UD it would be nice if it could revert back to head-to-head. xcoffeex

bandl
November 13th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Let's throw another log on the fire. xpopcornx

We know that if all 4 are tied JMU gets the AQ.

Deserves, in order:
(note to trolls, this is only speculation and opinion)

UR - beat UD & JMU
UD - beat JMU
UMass - didn't play either of the other 3
JMU - lost to both UD and UR

89Hen
November 13th, 2007, 11:28 AM
None, they all had their chance. :p

I'd say Richmond by virtue of being 2-0 vs the other three. UD is 1-1, JMU 0-2, UMass is 0-0. I know UMass didn't make the schedule, but I honestly believe they'd have at least one more loss if they'd have played UR, UD and JMU instead of VU, TU and W&M. xpeacex

89Hen
November 13th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Deserves, in order:
(note to trolls, this is only speculation and opinion)

UR - beat UD & JMU
UD - beat JMU
UMass - didn't play either of the other 3
JMU - lost to both UD and UR
xnodx That's the EXACT order I'd put and for the same reason.

URMite
November 13th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I feel like I've seen this situation before. You lose to a team head to head so you root for a team that at least one of you hasn't played to be tied with you so that head to head is no longer applicable. But I'm not sure where. NFL wildcard? xoopsx

FCS Preview
November 13th, 2007, 12:08 PM
We all know what bandl meant. I think all he's saying is that once UR and UMass are eliminated by the other tie-breakers, that when it comes down to JMU and UD it would be nice if it could revert back to head-to-head. xcoffeex

OK...so one more question then...how do you eliminate UMass and Richmond without also eliminating Delaware? What's the scenario that lets you end up with just JMU and Delaware?

89Hen
November 13th, 2007, 12:13 PM
OK...so one more question then...how do you eliminate UMass and Richmond without also eliminating Delaware? What's the scenario that lets you end up with just JMU and Delaware?
Don't know, I was going on what bandl said.

alexale23
November 13th, 2007, 12:16 PM
so if this JMU dream scenerio takes place and they get the AQ. Who do u leave outside the playoff picture because u will have 5 CAA teams at 8-3.
HOFSTRA, DELAWARE, RICHMOND, JMU, MASS. T think they all deserve to be in but I dont see 5 teams getting in.

FCS Preview
November 13th, 2007, 12:23 PM
so if this JMU dream scenerio takes place and they get the AQ. Who do u leave outside the playoff picture because u will have 5 CAA teams at 8-3.
HOFSTRA, DELAWARE, RICHMOND, JMU, MASS. T think they all deserve to be in but I dont see 5 teams getting in.

They could get 5, depending on some of the other results...but I think Hofstra would be the odd team out, even though they would have just beaten UMass. Would an (8-3) EWU get in before Hofstra, if EWU has only 7 D-I wins, to Hofstra's 8?

GSU has only 6 D-I wins...YSU also. Looking at the Top 25, it could happen that the CAA gets 5. There's only 17 teams in the Top 25 who are playoff eligible who have 7 D-I wins or or 3 or fewer losses.

89Hen
November 13th, 2007, 12:54 PM
w

89Hen
November 13th, 2007, 12:56 PM
JMU - AQ

RICHMOND 8-3 wins over JMU and UD
DELAWARE 8-3 win over JMU
HOFSTRA 8-3 win over UMass
MASSACHUSETTS 8-3 no wins over any. xeyebrowx

UMass gets left out. xeekx

AlphaSigMD
November 13th, 2007, 01:31 PM
______________ the ancient yuletide carol?

Merry Christmasxlolx

URMite
November 13th, 2007, 01:31 PM
JMU - AQ

RICHMOND 8-3 wins over JMU and UD
DELAWARE 8-3 win over JMU
HOFSTRA 8-3 win over UMass
MASSACHUSETTS 8-3 no wins over any. xeyebrowx

UMass gets left out. xeekx

The other scenario is UD could be 9-2 and no other changes.

Wouldn't the playoff committee look at common opponents instead of strong wins?xlolx xlolx xlolx just kidding!xpeacex

danefan
November 13th, 2007, 01:32 PM

Wouldn't the playoff committee look at common opponents instead of strong wins?xlolx xlolx xlolx just kidding!xpeacex

xlolx xlolx xlolx xpopcornx xasswhipx

89Hen
November 13th, 2007, 01:34 PM

xeyebrowx Not sure I follow. xeyebrowx

edit... nevermind. All this talk has me confused. I forgot UD can win and still have JMU get the AQ.

URMite
November 13th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Total AQ scenario

UR/UMass go 1-1, the winner gets the AQ

UR/UMass go 2-0 vote for AQ

UR/UMass go 0-2 then:

UD/JMU both win JMU gets AQ

UD/JMU both lose UMass gets AQ

UD only wins UD gets AQ

JMU only wins JMU gets AQ

Does that seem right? How's this for a cheat sheet for Saturday?

FCS Preview
November 13th, 2007, 01:59 PM

Don't know, I was going on what bandl said.

I'm guessing bandl is still trying to figure it out too? :D

bandl
November 13th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I'm guessing bandl is still trying to figure it out too? :D

No, troll, I ignored your question because it made no ******** sense.

FCS Preview
November 13th, 2007, 02:13 PM
No, troll, I ignored your question because it made no ******** sense.

You said: "I THINK THAT IF IT CAME DOWN TO UD VS. JMU FOR THE AQ THEN UD SHOULD GET THE AQ BASED ON HEAD-TO-HEAD, BUT THAT'S NOW HOW THE RULES ARE WRITTEN UP IN THE CAA."

And 89Hen said:

So I was asking how that would happen this year?

Because in the CAA, if two teams are tied for first, and they played head-to-head, the winner of the head-to-head game, gets the AQ.

bandl
November 13th, 2007, 02:26 PM
You said: "I THINK THAT IF IT CAME DOWN TO UD VS. JMU FOR THE AQ THEN UD SHOULD GET THE AQ BASED ON HEAD-TO-HEAD, BUT THAT'S NOW HOW THE RULES ARE WRITTEN UP IN THE CAA."

And 89Hen said:

So I was asking how that would happen this year?

Because in the CAA, if two teams are tied for first, and they played head-to-head, the winner of the head-to-head game, gets the AQ.

What is so goddamn hard to understand about this? By 'this', I mean the bolded section below, since it seems your basic comprehension skills are lacking.

This is how it is stated by the CAA. Hince, UR and UM are 'eliminated' from AQ consideration if this scenario unfolds, however unlikely it may be.

Honest question...are you just acting stupid? xconfusedx Because if not, then I almost feel bad for pointing out your obvious shortcomings.

danefan
November 13th, 2007, 02:31 PM
xpopcornx
You've have now surpassed the record for longest two-person reading comprehension battle in AGS history! (4 hours, 15 minutes and continuing)
Thanks for the work-day entertainment guys!

mcveyrl
November 13th, 2007, 02:39 PM
This is the last I'm saying and then I'm out. I will continue to read, but participation has proved to be an exercise in futility.

bandl's original comment (some 5 hours ago) could have just as easily inserted UR for UD and covered his point. He wasn't saying that the AQ WOULD come down to UD and JMU, he was just saying that between those two schools, it's not fair that JMU wins out, in his opinion.

I'm done, this is ridiculous. For one, why does it matter, FCS Preview? Everybody obviously understands how this works, bandl was just making a comment on the general scenario as it unfolded. Is it seriously that big of a deal to you that you've got to reiterate THE SAME POINT every post??

I'm out. FCS Preview officially became the closest a person has ever become to being put on my ignore list.

bandl
November 13th, 2007, 02:42 PM
xpopcornx
You've have now surpassed the record for longest two-person reading comprehension battle in AGS history! (4 hours, 15 minutes and continuing)
Thanks for the work-day entertainment guys!

Seriously. I'm hungover today, so that's my excuse (and it is only a chatboard after all). But his posts are so chock full of incomprehensible babble, just like his blogs and columns, that it’s just impossible to hold back. xcoffeex

Luckily I'm heading down to the OBX in a few hours, so I'm already moving on mentally! xthumbsupx

danefan
November 13th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Luckily I'm heading down to the OBX in a few hours, so I'm already moving on mentally! xthumbsupx

Lucky. I can see Staten Island from my office window......xbawlingx

RAMS83
November 13th, 2007, 03:18 PM
danefan-- i am a fordham guy -- grew up in s.i. and work in nyc .. your comment made me laugh.. what type of work do you do?

bandl
November 13th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Lucky. I can see Staten Island from my office window......xbawlingx

I'm so so so very sorry. :(

:p

Dukie95
November 13th, 2007, 03:19 PM
OMG, lol..best thread ever!!

danefan
November 13th, 2007, 03:32 PM
danefan-- i am a fordham guy -- grew up in s.i. and work in nyc .. your comment made me laugh.. what type of work do you do?

I'm an attorney. My office is in midtown....great view of just about everything....including Staten Island

DB_Atlantic10
November 13th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I agree. It makes no sense that UD and Richmond (who we both lost to) would not get the auto bid over us.

But again, I'll take what I can get. True, but this takes the you be them and they beat me scenario.... Plus this way also takes away the home field advantage between head to head....

DB_Atlantic10
November 13th, 2007, 03:49 PM

Again...it is IMPOSSIBLE for JMU and UD to tie for first place, without UMass and Richmond ALSO being tied for first...and since UMass did not play any of those other teams, how do you go to head-to-head? Are you the only one not getting this.....

FCS Preview
November 13th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Total AQ scenario

UR/UMass go 1-1, the winner gets the AQ

UR/UMass go 2-0 vote for AQ

UR/UMass go 0-2 then:

UD/JMU both win JMU gets AQ

UD only wins UD gets AQ

JMU only wins JMU gets AQ

Does that seem right? How's this for a cheat sheet for Saturday?

All right except:

UR/UMass go 0-2 then:

In this scenario, you'd have:

UR, (6-2)
UMass, (6-2)
UDel (5-3)
JMU (5-3)

This is the same as if UR and UMass both won and tied at (7-1). They are tied by themselves, and it goes to a vote.

DTSpider
November 13th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Hopefully UR can take care of W&M and Hosfta beats UMass for the easy scenario without much fuss. It'll be real interesting if both UR & UMass win and you have to go to the AD vote.

mcveyrl
November 13th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Hopefully UR can take care of W&M and Hosfta beats UMass for the easy scenario without much fuss. It'll be real interesting if both UR & UMass win and you have to go to the AD vote.

If they both win, it's really just a matter of semantics. Both will get into the playoffs and both will be CAA Champs, the vote is for the auto-bid, which, if both are 9-2 is kind of meaningless.

HLecter
November 13th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I'll take Bika over Codrington, late KO

DB_Atlantic10
November 13th, 2007, 10:35 PM
If they both win, it's really just a matter of semantics. Both will get into the playoffs and both will be CAA Champs, the vote is for the auto-bid, which, if both are 9-2 is kind of meaningless.
But wouldn't it be cool if they both lost and UD/JMU wins and we have a 4 way Champion in the CAA's inaugural year. Now that would be history in the making.......xnodx

URMite
November 14th, 2007, 08:53 AM
All right except:

UR/UMass go 0-2 then:

In this scenario, you'd have:

UR, (6-2)
UMass, (6-2)
UDel (5-3)
JMU (5-3)

This is the same as if UR and UMass both won and tied at (7-1). They are tied by themselves, and it goes to a vote.

I thought UR loses the common opponents in that case since we play one this week and UMass doesn't.

URMite
November 14th, 2007, 08:55 AM

I read last night that it has never gone to a vote before in either the A10 or the Yankee. Of course, a vote was less likely when we could play all of the conference but could still happen in a three way tie.

FCS Preview
November 14th, 2007, 08:58 AM
I thought UR loses the common opponents in that case since we play one this week and UMass doesn't.
You're right, my mistake. I missed that last note.