PDA

View Full Version : Chances/Scenarios that UNH sneaks in Playoffs?

santosballnewhampshire
November 12th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Just wondering what are the chances, and what has to happen in order for New Hampshire to get into the playoffs, and the CAA to have 5 teams in. Who should UNH fans be rooting for?

igo4uni
November 12th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Sorry dude, won't happen.

UMass922
November 12th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Basically, every team that could potentially reach 8-3 on Saturday would have to lose, forcing the committee to take a 7-4 team. If that were to happen, UNH might be first in line . . . but it's highly unlikely. Off the top of my head, you're rooting against Georgia Southern, Eastern Washington, Eastern Illinois, Colgate, Hofstra, James Madison, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting. Possibly even Alabama A&M as well. I think the committee would take a 7-4 UNH before a mid-major like Dayton or Albany, but who knows.

All things considered, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Sam Adams
November 12th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Just wondering what are the chances, and what has to happen in order for New Hampshire to get into the playoffs, and the CAA to have 5 teams in. Who should UNH fans be rooting for?

UNH should be rooting for a snowball in hell.

UNHWildCats
November 12th, 2007, 08:32 PM
If UNH wins and 4 of the 6 teams below lose, UNH has a great shot to get in.

Hofstra (7-3)
Colgate (7-3)
Eastern Illinois (7-3)
Georgia Southern (7-3)
Eastern Washington (7-3)
Alabama A&M (8-2)

These teams are or could be eligible but UNH should get in ahead of them with the quality wins they have.

Albany (7-3)
San Diego (9-1)
Dayton (9-1)
Villanova (6-4)
Norfolk State (7-3)
South Carolina State (6-4)
Hampton (6-4)
Jacksonville State (6-4)
Holy Cross (6-4)
Lafayette (6-4)

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 12th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I think the biggest obstacle is 5 CAA teams being selected...really don't see that happening

santosballnewhampshire
November 12th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Yeah, has that ever happened before, 5 teams from one conference?

UMass922
November 12th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Yeah, has that ever happened before, 5 teams from one conference?

Nope. Four has happened only twice, I believe.

santosballnewhampshire
November 12th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Wait, will a 9-2 Alabama A&M or an 8-3 Colgate get in over UNH?

Pantherpower
November 12th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I'd really, really be surprised if they got in. In some other years, maybe, but not this year. Particularly when you consider it would be 5 teams from one conference when others (ie. Gateway, Big Sky, etc.) will likely only be sending two.

My hunch is the UNH defense wouldn't allow the Wildcats to advance very far in the event that they would've made the playoffs. Mr. Santos will hopefully earn a nice living in the NFL, however.xthumbsupx

UNHWildCats
November 12th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I'd really, really be surprised if they got in. In some other years, maybe, but not this year. Particularly when you consider it would be 5 teams from one conference when others (ie. Gateway, Big Sky, etc.) will likely only be sending two.

My hunch is the UNH defense wouldn't allow the Wildcats to advance very far in the event that they would've made the playoffs. Mr. Santos will hopefully earn a nice living in the NFL, however.xthumbsupx

Its not the CAA's fault the Gateway and Big Sky only have 2 eligibile teams. If they had more they would get more in, the field overall is very weak when you get past the 13th team.

Pantherpower
November 12th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Be that as it may, UNH will not get in. I'm NOT rooting against them to get in, just see no possible way how.

UMass922
November 12th, 2007, 09:07 PM

I would think so, yes. I really don't think the committee will ever take a four-loss team unless it absolutely has to (as it did last year).

UNHWildCats
November 12th, 2007, 09:08 PM
you think San Diego or Dayton is gonna get in? because it realistically could come down to UNH or one of those two, and UNH even thjough 7-4 still have much better wins, not to mention being top 10 in SOS compared to those two who are likely past #75

BDKJMU
November 12th, 2007, 09:10 PM

UNH in: zero chance
CAA 5 teams in: 5%+ yes/95% chance no. (20% that HU beats UMass, and 1/3 chance if they do they get in as the 5th CAA team. And that assumes JMU beats Towson).

UMass922
November 12th, 2007, 09:11 PM
you think San Diego or Dayton is gonna get in? because it realistically could come down to UNH or one of those two, and UNH even thjough 7-4 still have much better wins, not to mention being top 10 in SOS compared to those two who are likely past #75

I think a 7-4 UNH team would get in ahead of any mid-major, if it came down to that. Montana State got in at 7-4 last year over San Diego and Monmouth, so I don't see why the committee would approach the same situation any differently this year.

rcny46
November 13th, 2007, 12:58 AM
I just can't see Colgate,even if they knock off HC,making it.Alabama A&M at 9-2 might be a different story.I think they also have to have some help in the form of 2 of the following teams going down:GSU,EWU, EIU.I'd be surprised if UMass were to lose,so Hofstra could be out of the picture,and I don't think 5 teams from the same conference is necessarily an impossibility,so a JMU win wouldn't hurt UNH's cause.Of course,all of this conjecture is useless if they don't win against Maine.Another potential problem is their performance (or lack of it) in their last three games.Definitely not a good way to impress the selection committee.Anyway,that's my skewed way of looking at it.Probably just wishful thinking.

BDKJMU
November 13th, 2007, 07:29 AM
I think a 7-4 UNH team would get in ahead of any mid-major, if it came down to that. Montana State got in at 7-4 last year over San Diego and Monmouth, so I don't see why the committee would approach the same situation any differently this year.

Montana State also had 2 I-A opponents last season, knocking off one, BCS Colorodo. They did have a Div II loss, but that was to undefeated regular season Chadron State, one of the top D2 teams in the nation. I'm sure the committee noted that- if it had been some mediocre D2 MSU probably wouln't have gotten in. Plus the Big Sky was only getting one other team in, Montana. Plus there was a dearth of 8-3 schools.

OOC UNH beat a bad 1-A Marshal, but also Dartmouth (weak) and a mid major, which is basically no better than a D2. Yes, UNH had the tough half of the CAA South, but bottom line, 4-4 in the CAA isn't going to cut it. Its a shame, because I certainly think UNH is one of the top 15 teams in the nation and I would like to see Santos get another shot in the playoffs, but UNH doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting in as a 5th or even 4th CAA.

bandl
November 13th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Can everyone just get off the UNH bandwagon now? Fact of the matter is....they are not that good of a team!!! 4 losses, including an ass-pounding by NU!!! Their only quality win is against UD (MAYBE Hofstra). The Marshall win was decent at the time, but has quickly lost its luster because Marshall sucks pretty bad.

KAUMASS
November 13th, 2007, 07:58 AM
UNH has a shot if:

1.UNH beats Maine.
2.JMU, Hofstra, Georgia Southern, and E. Washington and E. Illinois all lose.

If E. Washington wins, they are 8-3, second in the big sky, but only 7 D1 wins. Power rankings would be similar to 7-4 UNH. I think the nod to E. Washington as 5 CAA teams is unlikely with an 8-3 runner up in the big sky as it is politically correct. I don't agree with it, but that is life in the committee.

Georgia Southern must beat Colorado St, a FBS school at 1-9 or something. Georgia Southern has a power ranking of 13, but they must win this weekend to reach 7 D1 wins.

If E. Illinois wins, they are 8-3 but have a power ranking of about 44. I don't see them getting in over UNH or JMU at 7-4 with their power rankings of 15 and 20 respectively.

If Colgate wins, they are 8-3 with a power ranking of about 30. They have to beat Holy Cross this weekend. UNH at 7-4 would have a power ranking of about 19. I would tend to think that UNH would get in over Colgate with wins over Marshall and Delaware, but you never know. To be fair, Colgate did beat Towson, but I don't think that trumps UNH.

If JMU loses, they are 7-4 with a power rating of about 15. The committe may have to decide between UNH and JMU. JMU beat UNH this year head to head. UNH beat Marshall and Delaware. Tough call.

Like I said, there is a possibility. I've read some of the threads and people are saying no way, but people here chastised me when I posted that App. St would give Michigan all they could handle and might win. xthumbsupx

Good luck to UNH.

appstate38
November 13th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Its not the CAA's fault the Gateway and Big Sky only have 2 eligibile teams. If they had more they would get more in, the field overall is very weak when you get past the 13th team.

Considering that only 16 teams get in, that kind of punches a huge hole in the field is weak after the 13th team situation. Besides 4 teams from the CAA is stretch, 5 just isn't going to happen even if the stars aligned and all those teams lost to clear the way for you. I don't believe the selection committee is going to give over a quarter of the field to one conference.

It is a stretch for the other power conferences to get 3 teams, so no matter what the results are for this weekend I believe UNH's season will conclude following their game.

appfan2008
November 13th, 2007, 08:09 AM
after reading this whole thread I have decided it aint gonna happen!... good luck next year

TheValleyRaider
November 13th, 2007, 09:23 AM
If Colgate wins, they are 8-3 with a power ranking of about 30. They have to beat Holy Cross this weekend. UNH at 7-4 would have a power ranking of about 19. I would tend to think that UNH would get in over Colgate with wins over Marshall and Delaware, but you never know. To be fair, Colgate did beat Towson, but I don't think that trumps UNH.

This is the only part I really disagree with (surprise! :D ). The Committee has been known to reach down in the past and take a 2nd bid from the OVC/MEAC/Patriot League even if that team is lower in the power rankings (GPI, for example). Colgate's 8-3 record would, in this instance I believe, look better than UNH's 7-4. I agree it's possible, but some stars need to align for it to happen. And heck, even if Colgate wins Saturday, I'll still be sweating out the Selection Show just like the rest of you xnodx

But, business first: Holy Cross on Saturday xreadx

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 13th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Can we just stop this now.....for the last 3 weeks we've had these discussions involving UNH's chances. Each time a UNH victory has been assumed and I think we all know the result.xbawlingx xbawlingx

I can't handle another week of it. We need a carma change.
Please

I just want to beat Maine.

ChickenMan
November 13th, 2007, 09:49 AM
The only hope UNH or ANY (7-4) school would have.. is if four or five of the current seven (7-3) contenders:

EIU
EWU
Norfolk St
Colgate
JMU
GSU
Hofstra

lost their final game. If that happens.. anything may be possible.

UNHWILDCATS05
November 13th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Can we just stop this now.....for the last 3 weeks we've had these discussions involving UNH's chances. Each time a UNH victory has been assumed and I think we all know the result.xbawlingx xbawlingx

I can't handle another week of it. We need a carma change.
Please

I just want to beat Maine.

I know what you mean... its like pulling a band-aid off slowly... We really just need to focus on the Black Bears, hope all the seniors go out with a bang and forget all this talk...

GannonFan
November 13th, 2007, 10:20 AM
There is no realistic chance that UNH has of making the playoffs. Shame for them, as they got stuck with the short end of the conference schedule this year and faced every good team in both the South and the North. However, that's how the cookie crumbles and UNH's last chance at the playoffs crumbled on the turf last week in Amherst. A great run by Santos and he gets to walk off the field in Durham this week in his farewell game.

WSBE
November 13th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Things that I would take over a UNH playoff birth:

1) just a couple of UMASS FBS transfers

2) An offensive coordinator

3) An offseason program that adds 20lbs to all of the front 4 on defense

4) An adjustment to the blitz

5) Intensity (anyone walk by the UNH side line on Saturday? not the same fire as the last 3 years)

6) The ability to gain 3 yards on the ground when they need it (like most good teams in history)

7) A stadium

rcny46
November 13th, 2007, 01:13 PM
after reading this whole thread I have decided it aint gonna happen!... good luck next year

Speaking of next year-and I don't think many would agree with me on this- I think that UNH will have a better,more competitive team in`08.

rcny46
November 13th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Things that I would take over a UNH playoff birth:

1) just a couple of UMASS FBS transfers

2) An offensive coordinator

3) An offseason program that adds 20lbs to all of the front 4 on defense

4) An adjustment to the blitz

5) Intensity (anyone walk by the UNH side line on Saturday? not the same fire as the last 3 years)

6) The ability to gain 3 yards on the ground when they need it (like most good teams in histor

7) A stadium

Excellent wish list!xthumbsupx

UNHWildCats
November 13th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Speaking of next year-and I don't think many would agree with me on this- I think that UNH will have a better,more competitive team in`08.

The offense may suffer a little bit, but it will hardly be noticed. If the defense can finally get a clue, the team could once again be dangerous....

GO TOMAN!

ChickenMan
November 13th, 2007, 01:57 PM
The offense may suffer a little bit, but it will hardly be noticed.

GO TOMAN!

You may think a lot of Toman.. but you are 'highly' optimistic if you think he's going to become the next Ricky Santos in '08.

WSBE
November 13th, 2007, 02:05 PM

I agree. They lose few but some of the most valuable players (Santos, Couturier, Pammer, Levan, M Wright). However, they return 8 starters on offense & 7 on defense with some serious talent to replace the Seniors. Not to mention peak years coming for Toman, Boyle, Kackert, Simpson, JT Wright, Parent, Young, Souza, etc. There was some stat back when they travelled to Marshall that was testament to the recruiting they've done in the last few years...something like 20 of the 50 travelling squad were Freshman or red-shirt freshman!?

Ivytalk
November 13th, 2007, 02:10 PM
The offense may suffer a little bit, but it will hardly be noticed. If the defense can finally get a clue, the team could once again be dangerous....

GO TOMAN!

Travis, I admire your enthusiasm and support for your alma mater, but UNH has about as much of a chance of reaching the playoffs as you have of scoring a date with B.D. Wong!:p

Husky Alum
November 13th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Heck, and team that only has the ball for 12 minutes against Northeastern shouldn't be in the playoffs.

Our defense is putrid, and UNH couldn't find a way to get on the field.

UNHWildCats
November 13th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Travis, I admire your enthusiasm and support for your alma mater, but UNH has about as much of a chance of reaching the playoffs as you have of scoring a date with B.D. Wong!:p
B.D. lives here in NYC and he is single xcoolx

UNHWildCats
November 13th, 2007, 11:07 PM
You may think a lot of Toman.. but you are 'highly' optimistic if you think he's going to become the next Ricky Santos in '08.

Same could be said about Santos at this time in 2003.

Sam Adams
November 14th, 2007, 08:23 AM
whats the use? if they play like they did against UMASS, the game will be over in the 1st quarter.

UNH is a good team, they beat FBS Marshall and a highly touted Delaware team. UMASS is simply a better team than UNH.

ChickenMan
November 14th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Same could be said about Santos at this time in 2003.

Sure a QB like Santos comes along every four years at UNH... :p

mainejeff
November 14th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Zilch. Maine will run the ball down UNH's throats and beat them 35-14.

Hofstra76
November 14th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Any chance the UNH AD is on the selection committee? That worked for Colgate a number of years back when they had no business making it.

danefan
November 14th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Any chance the UNH AD is on the selection committee? That worked for Colgate a number of years back when they had no business making it.

Nope. UMass and Lafayette's AD's are the eastern reps on the selection committee and plus if a team is in the mix that school's AD cannot be in the room when his school is discussed. But its hard for me to believe that it doesn't affect it at all.

Dukie95
November 14th, 2007, 09:57 AM
First, beat Maine to reach 7 D-I wins, and...

Maybe the NCAA selection committee will, within the next 4 days, suddenly deem the following mascots as offensive thereby disqualifying them from post-season play:

Minutemen
Spiders
Blue Hens
Dukes
Pride

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 14th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Nope. UMass and Lafayette's AD's are the eastern reps on the selection committee and plus if a team is in the mix that school's AD cannot be in the room when his school is discussed. But its hard for me to believe that it doesn't affect it at all.

He was on it last year....I've always felt that's why UNH went to Hampton not Youngstown. Sorry JMUxsmiley_wix

Dukie95
November 14th, 2007, 10:02 AM
He was on it last year....I've always felt that's why UNH went to Hampton not Youngstown. Sorry JMUxsmiley_wix

No, it was because we were the closest team to YSU, a seeded team. Seeded teams are paired first by geography, then the other 4 pairings are set.

TheValleyRaider
November 14th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Bingo xnodx

Plus, when did Colgate get a bid that we didn't earn? xconfusedx

bandl
November 14th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Bingo xnodx

Plus, when did Colgate get a bid that we didn't earn? xconfusedx

That's what I was thinking....first 12-0 in Patriot League history sounds bid-worthy to me....xwhistlex