PDA

View Full Version : Any VMI fans/alums here?

Millwoch
November 12th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Have not heard much from ya...I'll be making the trip up to Lexington Friday and looking forward to our con't rivalry. I know it has been a long year for the keydets...but let's hear a little smack talk or something....What can I expect from you guys this year?

I think this one will be a blow out, but you never know. We have a young QB, but he has really looked good.

Mountaineer#96
November 12th, 2007, 12:18 PM
My guess is ........nope. Count on them showing if you guys lay an egg this weekend though.

Millwoch
November 12th, 2007, 12:23 PM
You are probably right....just wanted at least a little our cheerleaders are better than yours or something!

walliver
November 12th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I think a VMI fan appeared to discuss the famous Presbyterian photo a few weeks ago.

And of course, someone has to post this:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6800&stc=1&d=1194221247

SuperJon
November 12th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Rumor has it you two aren't playing next year.

JayJ79
November 12th, 2007, 04:09 PM
I think a VMI fan appeared to discuss the famous Presbyterian photo a few weeks ago.

And of course, someone has to post this:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6800&stc=1&d=1194221247

any background info on that picture? I've seen it before, but never knew what the context of the situation was.

keydet71
November 12th, 2007, 04:35 PM
any background info on that picture? I've seen it before, but never knew what the context of the situation was.

Yes, there are a few of us out here and yes I fully expect that you will whip our butt come Saturday. But enjoy the visit & remember it is a Noon start (TV).

As to the photo, it was one of our shining moments last year that went nationwide....seems your "rats" or knobs, whatever they are called, got into some scuffle with our cheerleaders over a bulldog ( I think it was a fake) and this wonderful VMI Keydet gave your guy the hammerlock!! One of those days where no one remembers the score but everyone remembers this young lady!!

terrierbob
November 12th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Yes, there are a few of us out here and yes I fully expect that you will whip our butt come Saturday. But enjoy the visit & remember it is a Noon start (TV).

As to the photo, it was one of our shining moments last year that went nationwide....seems your "rats" or knobs, whatever they are called, got into some scuffle with our cheerleaders over a bulldog ( I think it was a fake) and this wonderful VMI Keydet gave your guy the hammerlock!! One of those days where no one remembers the score but everyone remembers this young lady!!

How is VMI football in general? Did most fans agree with the move from the SoCon?

Mountaineer#96
November 12th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Wow they let the VMI gals get away with hair like that!

ATrain
November 12th, 2007, 06:10 PM
How is VMI football in general? Did most fans agree with the move from the SoCon?

Go to their board...they'll refer to the Big South as the "Big Suck," yet they've been at or close to the bottom in everything since they've arrived.

Go...gate
November 12th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Go to their board...they'll refer to the Big South as the "Big Suck," yet they've been at or close to the bottom in everything since they've arrived.

Do you have a link?

Millwoch
November 12th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Do you have a link?

It is hard to believe that was a year ago. we plan to get there early. It will be our second noon start this year(wisconsin was also on tv). How is the weather up that way?

chattanoogamocs
November 12th, 2007, 10:23 PM

Just because they have not done well in the BSC doesn't mean they have to like being there.

With no insult to the Big South intended, I can understand why they are not happy there...they ARE a SoCon school...they were banished, divorced, expelled...the sting of that must still remain.

But the biggest reason for their antipathy...they are no longer in the same conference as their most hated rival (you can still play the game, but it is just not the same when it is not for conference bragging rights).

Go...gate
November 12th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Just because they have not done well in the BSC doesn't mean they have to like being there.

With no insult to the Big South intended, I can understand why they are not happy there...they ARE a SoCon school...they were banished, divorced, expelled...the sting of that must still remain.

But the biggest reason for their antipathy...they are no longer in the same conference as their most hated rival (you can still play the game, but it is just not the same when it is not for conference bragging rights).

I never knew that. And VMI, I believe, was a founding member of that conference, right?

chattanoogamocs
November 12th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I never knew that. And VMI, I believe, was a founding member of that conference, right?

VMI was not a founder (conference was founded in 1921) but they were close...they joined in 1924 and were the longest tenured insititution in the history of the conference when they got the boot in 2003.

The oldest current members are The Citadel and Furman, which both joined in 1936 (Davidson also joined in 1936, but left the league for a number of years in the early 90's)...everyone else in the current membership joined after 1971.

roberb7
November 13th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Don't know about VMI football, but could you guys send us another George Marshall?

Syntax Error
November 13th, 2007, 03:22 AM
VMI was not a founder (conference was founded in 1921) but they were close...they joined in 1924 and were the longest tenured insititution in the history of the conference when they got the boot in 2003...Explain "they got the boot" please.

December 10, 2001 VMI Accepts Invitation to Join the Big South Conference
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=32657

December 8, 2001 VMI Moving to Big South Conference
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=32723

December 8, 2001 Southern Conference Statement on the Withdrawal of VMI
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=32729

CID1990
November 13th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Rumor has it you two aren't playing next year.

We will have to drop someone if the scheduling rumors are true.... we have two FBS games (Clempson and Florida) and we have also picked up a home and away series with Princeton. If this schedule holds, then we will have to drop either CSU or VMI. I sincerely hope we don't drop VMI. I like whipping CSU, but there's no tradition there.

Millwoch
November 13th, 2007, 12:06 PM
We will have to drop someone if the scheduling rumors are true.... we have two FBS games (Clempson and Florida) and we have also picked up a home and away series with Princeton. If this schedule holds, then we will have to drop either CSU or VMI. I sincerely hope we don't drop VMI. I like whipping CSU, but there's no tradition there.

We are also adding Samford to the schedule which could mean we drop both CSU and VMI for next year. I am hearing that VMI is very doubtful for next year....

Biff
November 13th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I have a feeling with Samford coming into the conference, it will really reduce our OOC scheduling as that means we will have 8 conference games and only 3 OOC weeks left. One has traditionally been VMI, then a FBS school, and then one other. If we continue the CSU tradition, then our schedule will not change much, unless we schedule 12 games.

How many teams play 12 games schedules in FCS.

Yes, I know the question is off topic, but obviously the VMI guys are hiding. Quite frankly, after there loss to Liberty 73-34 (??), I suspect they are hiding in the nearest hole.

Biff
November 13th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I have a feeling with Samford coming into the conference, it will really reduce our OOC scheduling as that means we will have 8 conference games and only 3 OOC weeks left. One has traditionally been VMI, then a FBS school, and then one other. If we continue the CSU tradition, then our schedule will not change much, unless we schedule 12 games.

How many teams play 12 games schedules in FCS?

Yes, I know the question is off topic, but obviously the VMI guys are hiding. Quite frankly, after there loss to Liberty 73-34 (??), I suspect they are hiding in the nearest hole.

Sly Fox
November 13th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Keydet Sportstalk (http://vmisports.proboards57.com/index.cgi?)

OL FU
November 13th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Maybe they preferred being on the bottom of the SoConxnodx

OL FU
November 13th, 2007, 01:36 PM
i wonder what Citdog's thoughts on the big game are?

citdog thinksxeyebrowx

keydet71
November 13th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Hiding?....not really, just not much that can be said.

To various question....yes, some belittle the BS and long for the glory days of the SoCon. We got tired of being your Homecoming game year after year, although I think we won the McAllister trophy enough that it was retired.

Whichever, retention has become a real problem & we typically enter every season with 5 or less Seniors. Coach Reid is working at it but the solution will be long in the making. He is redshirting one rat after another, but our system gives no leeway to 5 year students.

The weekend...will be a cool day...sunny, low 50's. Also, it is Ring Figure and hotel rooms are non-existent. If you do not have a reservation, plan to stay in Roanoke. I assume the parade will be at or about 0930 (for you military types).

And just in case....bring the Shako......:)

And if the Barber sends the "banned" CitDog to that VMI board....well, everyone should sign on to watch those fireworks. Should be a real hoot.

keydet71
November 13th, 2007, 05:28 PM
i think the Star of the West has been fired upon again already!

I noticed....have fun!.....xrotatehx

Go...gate
November 13th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Don't know about VMI football, but could you guys send us another George Marshall?

Ditto that.

And VMI should join the Patriot League for all sports, as well.

Millwoch
November 14th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Hiding?....not really, just not much that can be said.

To various question....yes, some belittle the BS and long for the glory days of the SoCon. We got tired of being your Homecoming game year after year, although I think we won the McAllister trophy enough that it was retired.

Whichever, retention has become a real problem & we typically enter every season with 5 or less Seniors. Coach Reid is working at it but the solution will be long in the making. He is redshirting one rat after another, but our system gives no leeway to 5 year students.

The weekend...will be a cool day...sunny, low 50's. Also, it is Ring Figure and hotel rooms are non-existent. If you do not have a reservation, plan to stay in Roanoke. I assume the parade will be at or about 0930 (for you military types).

And just in case....bring the Shako......:)

And if the Barber sends the "banned" CitDog to that VMI board....well, everyone should sign on to watch those fireworks. Should be a real hoot.

Thanks for the info....we fortunately booked rooms 3-4 months ago...Congrats on the Rings. That is a big day in a young mans life...We will be there for parade....Hopefully the Shako bought a round trip ticket this year....