PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate Foods

MountaineerMania54
November 12th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Just wondering what some of yall's favorite tailgate recipes are? Does anyone have a great chili recipe that they wouldn't mind sharing?

MSUBear42
November 12th, 2007, 11:55 AM
3 dried ancho peppers, stemmed and seeded
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 tablespoons whole coriander
1 tablespoon cumin seed
1 tablespoon chili powder
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 onions, chopped
3 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 canned chipotle chile, chopped
1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped
2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, hand crushed
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons masa harina
1/2 tablet Mexican chocolate (about 1 1/2 ounces)
Grated queso fresco, for garnish
Cilantro leaves, for garnish
Lime wedges, for garnish

In a small dry skillet over low heat add the ancho peppers, oregano, paprika, coriander, cumin, and chili powder. Cook until they begin to smell, about 2 minutes. Put the spices into a spice mill or food processor and grind until they are powdered. Set aside.
Heat a large heavy bottomed casserole over medium heat; add 3 tablespoons olive oil and the onions. Cook until the onions are soft and beginning to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Pat the beef dry and season it with salt and pepper. Add it to the pot and cook, stirring frequently, until it has browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of the toasted spice mix, the garlic, chipotle, jalapeno, tomatoes, cinnamon stick, and sugar. Season with salt and stir well. Add some hot water until the meat is just covered with liquid. Return to the boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove the meat and shred it with a fork. Return it to the pot, stir in the masa harina and chocolate, and cook for another 10 minutes, uncovered, to thicken. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with the queso fresco, cilantro, and lime for garnish.

~~

Also like ribs. Can't beat em. It was too hot this season for chili.

GreatAppSt
November 12th, 2007, 12:39 PM
For Cold weather I make a Brunswick stew. Mmmm.xnodx

Tribe4SF
November 12th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Last week we had Chesapeake Chowder as the feature along with a nice chili. At homecoming we deep fried Catfish, Croaker, Oysters and Scallops, and had crab and corn chowder. We're blessed in Tidewater with great, fresh seafood. The Croaker filets are incredible, but you need a real expert to do the fileting.

lillycafe
November 12th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Just wondering what some of yall's favorite tailgate recipes are? Does anyone have a great chili recipe that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Will share my "Chili When It Is Chilly" recipe with you tomorrow. It is tradition that I make it for our last scheduled home game in Boone each year. We will be in Stadium Lot spaces 391 and 392.

BigApp
November 12th, 2007, 01:17 PM
beer.

Dane96
November 12th, 2007, 01:18 PM
It took five posts BigApp--I was getting worried.

The only acceptable product is BEER (and bloody mary's when you have a really bad hangover...or you have a nasty cold...and you use the spice to clear the nose).

Everything else--Including great food--is just filler!

biggie
November 12th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Usually just a lurker, but I'll jump in where food and beer is concerned.

Beer (PBR an ol time favorite) and/or liquor ('shine included).
Go to Black Cat to eat and have PBR at 11:30 (subject to Boone of course)
Snack on other stuff we usually have: burgers, dogs, chili, deer steaks, etc

Death Dealer
November 12th, 2007, 01:49 PM
It took five posts BigApp--I was getting worried.

The only acceptable product is BEER (and bloody mary's when you have a really bad hangover...or you have a nasty cold...and you use the spice to clear the nose).

Everything else--Including great food--is just filler!Bloody Marys are great for early games when we start setting up beore 9am. There was a day when I could drink anything at anytime, but as I get older, a beer at 8am gets tougher and tougher. I, myself, prefer Mint Juleps or Bourbon and Ginger on a warm Autumn afternoon of football.
Either way, I use Makers.

Death Dealer
November 12th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Usually just a lurker, but I'll jump in where food and beer is concerned.

Beer (PBR an ol time favorite) and/or liquor ('shine included).
Go to Black Cat to eat and have PBR at 11:30 (subject to Boone of course)
Snack on other stuff we usually have: burgers, dogs, chili, deer steaks, etc
Shine is good stuff when made well. xnodx Best I've ever had was a long time ago, at a ETSU game in Johnson City. A guy tailgating near us had some of his own, Peach Shine. xthumbsupx Brother, that shyt was smoooooooooth!

Death Dealer
November 12th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Food wise, we're all over the board. Mrs. Death gets into the food planning big time. She likes to have a theme for each game. xrolleyesx Kinda drives me crazy at times, but, I have to admit, the grub is always good.xnodx

biggie
November 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Shine is good stuff when made well. xnodx Best I've ever had was a long time ago, at a ETSU game in Johnson City. A guy tailgating near us had some of his own, Peach Shine. xthumbsupx Brother, that shyt was smoooooooooth!
Guy that always has ours has a good connection, cause its never been back. Usually peach or blueberry (personal favorite, especially when drinking it at 9am or so).

Old Cage
November 12th, 2007, 06:48 PM
The night before:

Place as many Johnsonville brats as possible in a large fry pan (12 fit in mine). Cover with 36 oz. of beer. Add six garlic cloves crushed, two large Spanish onions chopped, a bit of tabasco, a stick of butter and some salt. Simmer thirty minutes.

Refrigerate until your tailgate and then heat (but not cook) on the grill.

CSUBUCDAD
November 12th, 2007, 07:04 PM
We usually buy some prefab tater salad and cole slaw or other side dish. I will get the butts going the night before on the smoker on the back patio. Let them smoke all night. Cook up the brats the next morning prior to leaving and pack it all up and head for the stadium around 10am. This week will sub some beach chicken in for the butt in honor of our opponent.

kalm
November 12th, 2007, 07:16 PM
We deep fried a turkey and a duck last game which turned out great.

We've also had success this year doing a clambake with shrimp, oysters, muscles, fresh corn on the cob, spuds, and good smoked sausage.

My favorite were the steak taco's we made in Missoula using beef flap meat/steak (hard to find) marinated in Hansen's Guava-Pinneaple nectar, soy, sesame oil, onions, garlic, and habanero hot sauce. A great sweet-hot flavor and perfect with salsa fresca on a tortilla.

Beverages:

Brass Monkeys, Sunny Monkeys, just plain Natty, Budweiser (for the snobs), and of course crown.

MountaineerMania54
November 12th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks for everybody who has replied! I usually just tend to browse the boards, but I finally decided to post. I hadn't seen a thread on tailgate foods, and I am in charge of this coming week's fraternity tailgate. So, I thought I would see what everyone recommended. Thanks again! Go APPS!!!:D

lillycafe
November 13th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Chili When It's Chilly - Serves 10-12

2lbs. gorund beef/turkey
1 cup chopped onion
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chooped
2 (28 oz.) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and cut up
2 (28 oz.) cans tomato sauce
3 (16 oz.) cans kidney beans
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons chili powder
1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper (add more or less to taste)

Brown ground beef/turkey in Dutch oven. Drain fat. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 1 to 2 hours, stirring often.

Serve, with garnishments of cornbread, oyster crackers, shredded cheese, sour cream, and your favorite beverage.

For spicier chili, add 1 can of of beer. Use hot chili beans, instead of kidney beans. Add Texas Pete sauce to taste.

I usually make this on Friday evening, place in the refrigerator overnight and warm it at the game with my turkey fryer on Saturday.

AppGirl
November 13th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks for everybody who has replied! I usually just tend to browse the boards, but I finally decided to post. I hadn't seen a thread on tailgate foods, and I am in charge of this coming week's fraternity tailgate. So, I thought I would see what everyone recommended. Thanks again! Go APPS!!!:D

Look at the Lounge. There's a sticky.xthumbsupx

RAMS83
November 13th, 2007, 12:13 PM
A big thermos of Mexican Coffee is good for tailgating and on cold and rainy days. Simply, its coffee with kahula and cream/whip cream. If your afraid its too much caffeine you can make half of it decaf. It keeps your energy up for cheering - its hot-warm and keeps you buzzed throguhout the game.

yea I know-- but my hand starts to freeze after awhile holding on to cold beer for a few hours.. this is a nice addition to the beverage choices..

andy7171
November 13th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Last week we had Chesapeake Chowder as the feature along with a nice chili. At homecoming we deep fried Catfish, Croaker, Oysters and Scallops, and had crab and corn chowder. We're blessed in Tidewater with great, fresh seafood. The Croaker filets are incredible, but you need a real expert to do the fileting.
Dang! Looks like I picked the wrong game to hit your tailgate! xoopsx Alls I got was 4 Busch Lights! :D

biggie
November 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM
yea I know-- but my hand starts to freeze after awhile holding on to cold beer for a few hours.. this is a nice addition to the beverage choices..
On a similar note: Hot Apple Cider with 'enough' cinnamon schnaps.