PDA

View Full Version : Who's your "1" in a 1-10 season?

HiHiYikas
November 12th, 2007, 10:43 AM
There's not a good way to go 1-10, but...

If your team were to lose all but one game, and the win came over your choice of opponents, who, among your team's typical lineup of opponents, would you choose?

Suppose that, in this hypothetical scenario, that opponent went 10-1. Would this wrinkle change your pick?

For some reason, I've been pondering this question lately. Maybe it's because of the rivarly weekend - GSU-Furman, ASU-WCU - in the SoCon.

I can't quite decide whether I'd pick Michigan (or whichever FBS team ASU would play in this hypothetical season), or Western Carolina.

For a 1-10 FCS to beat a 10-1 FBS would be beyond unfathomable. I'm not sure what kind of media attention it would generate. I'm not sure I can imagine what it would be like.

The appeal of the WCU scenario is that, at 10-1, WCU would have beaten the usual suspects in the SoCon. So, along with a Jug-game victory to celebrate, I might enjoy seeing WCU beat GaSo, Furman, Wofford, etc.

AZGrizFan
November 12th, 2007, 10:44 AM
No question for the Griz it's MSU. xnodx xnodx xnodx

Mountain Panther
November 12th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Youngstown.

WUTNDITWAA
November 12th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Furman.

henfan
November 12th, 2007, 10:53 AM
West Chester. We have no business playing them, let alone ever losing to them.

TheValleyRaider
November 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Cornell

Dane96
November 12th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Stony Brook

NDSUFREAK
November 12th, 2007, 10:57 AM
even though we don't play them i still have to say und...

walliver
November 12th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Furman

MplsBison
November 12th, 2007, 11:01 AM
even though we don't play them i still have to say und...

If UND were on the schedule it would have to be them.

Otherwise, SDSU.

AZGrizFan
November 12th, 2007, 11:02 AM
No question for the Griz it's MSU. xnodx xnodx xnodx

In fact it HAS happened in the Griz/Cat rivalry twice that I know of ('83 and '85), where the Cats' only victory of the year was against the Griz. Course, back in those days the Griz sucked balls, and were only 4-6 and 3-8 in those seasons, so it wasn't like the Cats were world beaters.... xcoolx

lizrdgizrd
November 12th, 2007, 11:04 AM
I'd say a toss-up between FU, GSU, and WCU. xchinscratchx

Hate to let any season go by with a loss to WCU, but to take down FU or GSU is always sweet. xnodx

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 11:04 AM
I'd actually say an OOC I-AA. xeyebrowx xnodx

Go...gate
November 12th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Cornell or Holy Cross.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 12th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Furman.

NE MT GRIZZ
November 12th, 2007, 11:31 AM
In fact it HAS happened in the Griz/Cat rivalry twice that I know of ('83 and '85), where the Cats' only victory of the year was against the Griz. Course, back in those days the Griz sucked balls, and were only 4-6 and 3-8 in those seasons, so it wasn't like the Cats were world beaters.... xcoolx

1983 Cats go 1-10
1984 National Champs
1985 Cats go 1-10 again

WTF. Ultimate Jeckyl and Hyde

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 11:39 AM
1983 Cats go 1-10
1984 National Champs
1985 Cats go 1-10 again

xeekx It was actually 2-9 in 1985, but still! (I had to look at it myself because I couldn't believe it)

813Jag
November 12th, 2007, 11:48 AM
That's an easy one, Grambling. xlolx

Mountain Panther
November 12th, 2007, 12:36 PM
1983 Cats go 1-10
1984 National Champs
1985 Cats go 1-10 again

Uhhhhh.....can you say "senior transfers" in 1984?

HensRock
November 12th, 2007, 12:37 PM

I'd actually say an OOC I-AA. xeyebrowx xnodx

The ONLY way for the Hens to have a "successful" 1-10 season is if the 1 was stinkin' VILLANOVA!

(and I'm sure they feel the same)

brownbear
November 12th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Harvard

GreatAppSt
November 12th, 2007, 12:41 PM
GS(lost to Furman)U:D

henfan
November 12th, 2007, 12:48 PM
The ONLY way for the Hens to have a "successful" 1-10 season is if the 1 was stinkin' VILLANOVA!

(and I'm sure they feel the same)

Many of us wouldn't know the result of that bittersweet 'success' waiting at the end of the season. If the Hens were 0-10 going into that final game, including a loss to a D-II team, I'd suspect that a majority of UD fans would have already jumped off the DE Memorial Bridge. xnonono2x

McDABest
November 12th, 2007, 12:50 PM
For McNeese It's FBS UL-L. No question. We even have a chant that is specially assigned to them:

GO TO HELL, UL-L, GO TO HELL!
UL-L can also be changed to their former name, USL.

bodoyle
November 12th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I'm not sure if it would be SC State, a great in-state rivalry is beginning with them, or with chucky south, the annoying little step-brother in our conference.

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Tough time...

The rivalry we all want to win is SFA, but some of us have a dislike for the San Marcos institution in our conference, Texas State Univ - San Marcos.

LeopardFan04
November 12th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Easy. It's at the top of the page...

Death Dealer
November 12th, 2007, 01:30 PM
FurmanAwwww, isn't the little puppy cute when he gets all mad.xrolleyesx You do realize that you guys are a blip on our radar of rivalries. Beating us every blue moon does not rate that much attention. For me it's a toss up between crAppy, GSU, and the hated Bellhops.

Death Dealer
November 12th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I'd say a toss-up between FU, GSU, and WCU. xchinscratchx

Hate to let any season go by with a loss to WCU, but to take down FU or GSU is always sweet. xnodx

That's exactly how I feel about ya'll and GSU.xthumbsupx

lizrdgizrd
November 12th, 2007, 01:41 PM
That's exactly how I feel about ya'll and GSU.xthumbsupx
So does that make it mutual respect or hate? xlolx xlolx xlolx

Death Dealer
November 12th, 2007, 01:44 PM
So does that make it mutual respect or hate? xlolx xlolx xlolxYes!xlolx xlolx xlolx xnodx

Ivytalk
November 12th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Harvard

Brown was the only zit on Harvard's otherwise unblemished Ivy record when the Crimson won an outright League title back in '75. But Brown won more than 1 game that year, and it had other good teams in the 70s.

For Harvard, it has to be Yale.

alexale23
November 12th, 2007, 02:35 PM
APP STATE

bjtheflamesfan
November 12th, 2007, 02:39 PM
BEAT COASTAL!

brownbear
November 12th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Brown was the only zit on Harvard's otherwise unblemished Ivy record when the Crimson won an outright League title back in '75. But Brown won more than 1 game that year, and it had other good teams in the 70s.

For Harvard, it has to be Yale.

In 1975, that was Princeton that beat you, Harvard beat Brown. In 1974, Harvard was co-champs with Yale because of their loss to Brown.

The Harvard 2OT game was our only loss during our title run in 2005.

Poly Pigskin
November 12th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Davis

BisonBohl
November 12th, 2007, 03:13 PM
For the Bison this year I would have to say Min, there was a lot prove that game.

SDSU a close second

Ivytalk
November 12th, 2007, 03:17 PM
In 1975, that was Princeton that beat you, Harvard beat Brown. In 1974, Harvard was co-champs with Yale because of their loss to Brown.

The Harvard 2OT game was our only loss during our title run in 2005.

Thanks for the correction! ;) I think our Brown loss that year was something like 10-7. I had some good friends on the FB team in my House who were pretty upset by it.

I always thought Brown got up for Yale more than for us. You learn something every day.xreadx

BDK@YSU
November 12th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Youngstown.

N... I mean, UNI. :(

slycat
November 12th, 2007, 03:40 PM
SHSU but it would be UTSA if they had football.

DSUHornet
November 12th, 2007, 03:42 PM
NC A&T, if we lose to them, we lose to any respectable little league team

Leo-Pard
November 12th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Beating Lehigh is what the whole season is about.

gokats85
November 12th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Tough time...

The rivalry we all want to win is SFA, but some of us have a dislike for the San Marcos institution in our conference, Texas State Univ - San Marcos.

I have a dislike for BOTH of them, but I'll take a victory over those b*stards at SFA anyday!

lizrdgizrd
November 12th, 2007, 03:52 PM
NC A&T, if we lose to them, we lose to any respectable little league team
HEY! No need to smack respectable little league teams! xnonox xmadx

:D

OL FU
November 12th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Now that citdog has given me a reason to again hate those rebels in the low country, I'll take a THE citadelxcoolx

DSUHornet
November 12th, 2007, 04:11 PM
HEY! No need to smack respectable little league teams! xnonox xmadx

:D

i apologize. i'll try to keep them out of talks with lesser-caliber MEAC teams.

UMass922
November 12th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Without a doubt it's UConn.

But since they're not among our "typical lineup of opponents" at the moment, I'll go with Delaware (even though we don't play them every year. If I must go with an annual opponent, I'll say New Hampshire).

slostang
November 12th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Hands down it would be UC Davis. I can not tell how good it felt this year to beat them 63-28.

turfdoc
November 12th, 2007, 06:04 PM
For me it is WIU

I do have to admit the first one that jumped to my mind was UIowa, we just don't play them very often. IASU is just too bad to choose.

Maroons
November 12th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Western-friggin-Kentucky

Old Cage
November 12th, 2007, 06:29 PM
1. UCONN... Oh, wait, they refuse to play us in either football or hoops unless they calculate that we will be having a down year.

1A. BOSTON COLLEGE - We gave that a good go this year. Everything and everyone at that pompous prep school is evil.

gocats05
November 12th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Southern Illinois or Youngstown

Go Panthers

CSUBUCDAD
November 12th, 2007, 06:57 PM
COASTAL CAROLINA!!!!!!

gr8ness97
November 12th, 2007, 07:08 PM
North Carolina A&T

bostonspider
November 12th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Well for UR, it would have to be one of two school, our oldest rival W&M, or UVA if we happen to be playing them, which looks to be happening every third year or so these days.

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 12th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Tough time...

gee...ya don't say.xrolleyesx

and to answer the question, i'd have to say i'd like to beat the prison monkeys from huntsville. sfa is a distant second.

patssle
November 12th, 2007, 07:51 PM
SFA. No other rivalry in the SLC comes close to what we have with them.

I Bleed Purple
November 12th, 2007, 07:58 PM
It happened recently here at Weber and the one we beat was Idaho State. Good choice for our team.

woffordgrad94
November 12th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I'd say Furman now, but I know Furman doesn't feel like Wofford is a rival to them because we've only been in the SoCon a fraction of the time that they have. I thought of saying The Citadel, mainly because one time when I was down there, a Citadel fan, who was a woman, by the way, was very rude and ugly to me and I had to call her a b-word. But we have a far superior program right now to what The Citadel, incidently one of FU's old rivals, has, so maybe that FU-Citadel rivalry should go by the wayside. I'm wondering if The Citadel will ever beat us again while I'm alive! (I'm 35 now, and I plan on living 5 more decades at the least!)

Death Dealer
November 12th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I'd say Furman now, but I know Furman doesn't feel like Wofford is a rival to them because we've only been in the SoCon a fraction of the time that they have. I thought of saying The Citadel, mainly because one time when I was down there, a Citadel fan, who was a woman, by the way, was very rude and ugly to me and I had to call her a b-word. But we have a far superior program right now to what The Citadel, incidently one of FU's old rivals, has, so maybe that FU-Citadel rivalry should go by the wayside. I'm wondering if The Citadel will ever beat us again while I'm alive! (I'm 35 now, and I plan on living 5 more decades at the least!)
You just guaranteed it with that bonehead statement.xnodx xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

woffordgrad94
November 12th, 2007, 09:50 PM
That was meant as a JOKE! I wasn't really being serious! I KNOW they'll beat us in the next 50 years! xrolleyesx I'm not quite THAT big of an idiot.

Eyes of Old Main
November 12th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Awwww, isn't the little puppy cute when he gets all mad.xrolleyesx You do realize that you guys are a blip on our radar of rivalries. Beating us every blue moon does not rate that much attention. For me it's a toss up between crAppy, GSU, and the hated Bellhops.

That rebuttal in of itself shows me just how nervous you Furman guys are about Wofford these days. The relationship between the two programs isn't what it was 10 or 20 years ago, face it.

UNCBears2010
November 12th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Don't mean to speak for anyone else, but I think there's about 8 Big Sky teams that would choose Montana. Maybe Weber would pick ISU and vice-versa, but I'm pretty sure Montana would be the choice of most of the Big Sky. Other fans can correct me if I'm wrong.

BearsCountry
November 12th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Well if the school to our west in our conference would field a football team them but I would say either UNI or the Ugly Dawgs.

The Cats
November 12th, 2007, 11:23 PM
There's not a good way to go 1-10, but...

If your team were to lose all but one game, and the win came over your choice of opponents, who, among your team's typical lineup of opponents, would you choose?

Suppose that, in this hypothetical scenario, that opponent went 10-1. Would this wrinkle change your pick?

For some reason, I've been pondering this question lately. Maybe it's because of the rivarly weekend - GSU-Furman, ASU-WCU - in the SoCon.

I can't quite decide whether I'd pick Michigan (or whichever FBS team ASU would play in this hypothetical season), or Western Carolina.

For a 1-10 FCS to beat a 10-1 FBS would be beyond unfathomable. I'm not sure what kind of media attention it would generate. I'm not sure I can imagine what it would be like.

The appeal of the WCU scenario is that, at 10-1, WCU would have beaten the usual suspects in the SoCon. So, along with a Jug-game victory to celebrate, I might enjoy seeing WCU beat GaSo, Furman, Wofford, etc.

no doubt, every WCU fan would pick ASU to beat.

brownbear
November 13th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the correction! ;) I think our Brown loss that year was something like 10-7. I had some good friends on the FB team in my House who were pretty upset by it.

I always thought Brown got up for Yale more than for us. You learn something every day.xreadx

Brown fans may get more excited about Yale (I think it's probably about even), but personally I think beating Harvard is better (also because we haven't beaten you all in 8 years).

andy7171
November 13th, 2007, 07:31 AM
James Madison

Death Dealer
November 13th, 2007, 08:40 AM
That was meant as a JOKE! I wasn't really being serious! I KNOW they'll beat us in the next 50 years! xrolleyesx I'm not quite THAT big of an idiot.
I know, I know.:p But joking or not, the Football Gods are very unforgiving!xnodx Just ask Citdog.xlolx xlolx

Death Dealer
November 13th, 2007, 08:46 AM
That rebuttal in of itself shows me just how nervous you Furman guys are about Wofford these days. The relationship between the two programs isn't what it was 10 or 20 years ago, face it. xshhhx Nervous, who's nervous? xeyebrowx Not us! xwhistlex

Nah, to be honest with you, the Wofford/FU rivalry still has some growing to do. As hard as I try, I can't bring myself to feel the same vehement hatred towards you guys as I do towards the citadel or GSU. xflamemadx xsmashx xpissedx xarguex But, give it a few more years, it will come. xnodx xsmiley_wix Parity is great for all of us, it makes the season so much more interesting. What would I do with all that male aggression if I couldn't direct it at all you SOB's! xmadx xcoolx :D If only WCU and UTC can get their acts together!xoopsx

GeauxColonels
November 13th, 2007, 07:37 PM
For me it's McNeese State - hands down. Northwestern State runs a close second.

ngineer
November 13th, 2007, 07:39 PM

xlolx xlolx Good one!

ngineer
November 13th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Lafayette, of course...and it has happened over the years. Nothing else compares. Even if Penn State were on the schedule, I'd prefer beating Lafayette.xnodx

appmountaineer
November 13th, 2007, 07:59 PM
def. Furman

Eyes of Old Main
November 13th, 2007, 09:05 PM
As hard as I try, I can't bring myself to feel the same vehement hatred towards you guys as I do towards the citadel or GSU.

We don't vehemently hate you guys, we just want to beat the crap of you on the football field. Aside from that, cheers! xprost2x

As for GSU and the Bellhops, there are so many more reaosns for you to dislike them anyway...

mrklean
November 13th, 2007, 09:23 PM
FURMAN!!!!

ButlerGSU
November 13th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Felt pretty good to ride up to Boone and beat um. We have more tradition with Furman however.

Calif_Colonial
November 13th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Duquesne University, crosstown rival !:D

Husky Alum
November 13th, 2007, 10:08 PM
ZooMass - bonus points for winning in Amherst, last time we did some dude named Kennedy was President.

Death Dealer
November 13th, 2007, 10:21 PM
We don't vehemently hate you guys, we just want to beat the crap of you on the football field. Aside from that, cheers! xprost2x

As for GSU and the Bellhops, there are so many more reaosns for you to dislike them anyway...That's my point. Don't take it as a sign of disrespect. I think that, in general, if you asked average FU fan who their most hated rival is, and I think that is what this thread is asking, 99% would not say Wofford. That doesn't mean we don't like kicking your asses on a regular basis as we usually do. It just means that it doesn't mean as much to us as beating ASU, GSU, or the bellhops. It's mainly a time and bad blood issue with the other three. Like I said, give it time and we will learn to love hating you guys as much as the other three. xthumbsupx