PDA

View Full Version : Grambling Loss

JohnStOnge
November 11th, 2007, 01:33 PM
So, how negative is Grambling's 28 -14 loss at Louisiana Monroe in the eyes of those who think the Tigers are a top-5 type FCS team? Grambling was held to -4 yards rushing and 165 yards total offense. 63 yards came on one play (a long TD pass). The other TD came on an interception return. Louisiana Monroe got 212 yards rushing and 390 total yards.

Louisiana Monroe is a FBS team but it's a Sun Belt FBS team that's 3-3 in that league.

So, does Grambling being smothered on offense like it was by the Warhawks put to rest the idea that the Tigers are top 5 FCS in caliber or not?

BigApp
November 11th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Grambling...a top-5 type FCS team?

So, does Grambling being smothered on offense like it was by the Warhawks put to rest the idea that the Tigers are top 5 FCS in caliber or not?

JSO, are you making that up?? xeyebrowx

813Jag
November 11th, 2007, 01:41 PM
So, how negative is Grambling's 28 -14 loss at Louisiana Monroe in the eyes of those who think the Tigers are a top-5 type FCS team? Grambling was held to -4 yards rushing and 165 yards total offense. 63 yards came on one play (a long TD pass). The other TD came on an interception return. Louisiana Monroe got 212 yards rushing and 390 total yards.

Louisiana Monroe is a FBS team but it's a Sun Belt FBS team that's 3-3 in that league.

It was one person that felt like that, and he's proven that he's not wrapped too tightly. All I know is that the Classic should be an entertaining game as both teams try to bounce back from losses. xreadx

datruth4u
November 11th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Ok I will be honest here. Grambling isn't a top 5 team in FCS yet. They are however a top 12-15 type of team. In that game, Landers was sacked 5 times for -28 yards. Last time I checked it counts against you in the running game. Grambling also went away from running the ball in the second half, as Warren and Walker only had 13 combined carries.

Grambling's defense also forced 4 turnovers. Grambling had their opportunites to win the game. However, between poor play calling in the red zone and execution they weren't able to come away with a victory.

Grambing is a legit team, as I've had a chance to watch a lot of FCS games this year. However, they aren't a top five team right now. If Broadway serves the duration of his contract, they most definetly will be.

mikebigg
November 11th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Our offensive line play isn't where it needs to be yet. Once we become more explosive in our run blocking execution, we will be okay. Coach Spady has done a good job with these guys in his first year in the dual role of OC and OL coach. However, we need an offseason of work to get our lower body strength /explosiveness for our drive blocking.

Our defensive line did a good job... the effort was there against a veteran offensive line that had good technique. This sounds like sour grapes, but those guys know how to "hold" their blocks with good hand placement and leverage. We learned some things...but I have to give credit to ULM for outplaying us. However, I feel good about the direction of the program under Coach Broadway.

aust42
November 11th, 2007, 07:50 PM

A top 5 FCS team would beat Louisiana-Monroe by three touchdowns.

JohnStOnge
November 11th, 2007, 08:12 PM

Possibly. But Louisiana-Monroe's a little better this year, I think.

As an aside, Grambling's fans really showed up. The attendance was 30,101 and I gather from looking at a ULM message board that it was mostly Grambling fans. It was reportedly a complete sellout.

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2007, 07:56 AM
I dropped Grambling a bit in the AGS poll...

My feeling was that I felt that the top 15-20 teams in FCS should be able to beat ULM. Grambling lost, so they fell right outside of the top 20 in my books...

Col Hogan
November 12th, 2007, 08:25 AM
I dropped Grambling a bit in the AGS poll...

My feeling was that I felt that the top 15-20 teams in FCS should be able to beat ULM. Grambling lost, so they fell right outside of the top 20 in my books...

They dropped a little in my poll also...but just crack the Top 20 (OK, 19)

I don't know who had them Top 5 FCS...that was just wrong...but Top 20...yea...

mikebigg
November 12th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Grambling lost the game...but others have lost games and are still in the TOP 20. The question that has to be asked is if ULM was in FCS Division, where would they be ranked? Would they be top 20? I actually think so...

We're not where we wanna be just yet...but we are making progress with this year's team. We initially were picked 3rd in the Western Division of our own league...

We aren't satisfied with the loss...but we understand that progress is being made in terms of accomplishing our transition to a run oriented offense. Our OL didn't get a good push, but with recruiting and offseason conditioning work we will be better. The guys who played O line for us this year are holdovers who were recruited more as pass blockers. They have made tremendous strides in changing from pass protection guys to runblockers...but still it's a patchwork line with little depth. The previous staff concentrated on recruiting wr's and skill guys. We will see a shift in philosophy under Coach Broadway.

JohnStOnge
November 12th, 2007, 11:59 AM
GThe question that has to be asked is if ULM was in FCS Division, where would they be ranked? Would they be top 20? I actually think so....

I think you could be right. If you go by Sagarin's ratings they'd be 21st if they were a FCS team. I watched them play Tulsa on TV and if they'd have had an effective passing quarterback they'd have had a real shot in that game. They are pretty strong on the line of scrimmage for a Sun Belt team.

MACHIAVELLI
November 18th, 2007, 04:54 PM
ICON-14 vs ULM-28
Univ. of Alabama-14 vs ULM-21

ICON Tailgating,Crowd and Marching Band (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EPwx6vBpCY)

McNeese_beat
November 18th, 2007, 05:15 PM
ICON-14 vs ULM-28
Univ. of Alabama-14 vs ULM-21

ICON Tailgating,Crowd and Marching Band (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EPwx6vBpCY)

The ULM game does look a heckuva lot better in that light!

Wish you guys were in the playoffs this week, but short of that, good luck with them Jags over on Poydras Street...

MACHIAVELLI
November 19th, 2007, 10:59 AM

3rd Coast Tiger
November 19th, 2007, 11:09 AM
UL-Monroe beats Grambling....
UL-Monroe beats Alabama at Alabama...

Proves some of you should not even be message board aficionados

HIU 93
November 19th, 2007, 11:12 AM
UL-Monroe beats Grambling....
UL-Monroe beats Alabama at Alabama...

Proves some of you should not even be message board aficionados

PREACH!!!!xthumbsupx

mikebigg
November 19th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Grambling has a good football team and a good program... we get bashed because our league doesn't participate in the playoffs. That's really narrowmindedness on the part of our critics but folk think and feel how they want. Some get pissed cuz we "rep" our school... Oh well!xwhistlex

3rd Coast Tiger
November 19th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Grambling has a good football team and a good program... we get bashed because our league doesn't participate in the playoffs. That's really narrowmindedness on the part of our critics but folk think and feel how they want. Some get pissed cuz we "rep" our school... Oh well!xwhistlex

So Mike, are you saying the SWAC institutions get a bad wrap on this message board? xconfusedx