PDA

View Full Version : SoCon returning players?

terrierbob
November 11th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I know Riddle's back for Elon; what's the story on others? We lose Kevious, Collier, and some good O-linemen. :(

Seven Would Be Nice
November 11th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Unfortunately Jayson Foster is graduating, which I'm sure the SoCon is celebrating about. We also lose our entire O-Line, and a few others on offense. I'm pretty sure most of our Defense is returning, since by the end of the year they were all pretty young. (Due to people getting kicked off the team, or getting injured)

We do have a stud freshman QB, hopefully we can get a o-line that will give him a chance to show his stuff. We may struggle next year, but look out for us in '09!!

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 11th, 2007, 10:16 AM
I know Riddle's back for Elon; what's the story on others? We lose Kevious, Collier, and some good O-linemen. :(

Elon has 18 of 22 starters and both kickers back next year.

blueballs
November 11th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Unfortunately Jayson Foster is graduating, which I'm sure the SoCon is celebrating about. We also lose our entire O-Line, and a few others on offense. I'm pretty sure most of our Defense is returning, since by the end of the year they were all pretty young. (Due to people getting kicked off the team, or getting injured)

We do have a stud freshman QB, hopefully we can get a o-line that will give him a chance to show his stuff. We may struggle next year, but look out for us in '09!!

The entire two deep defensively for GSU returns.

Offensively we lose Williams, Jenson, Orr, Estrada, Suarez on the o-line. Herrera is the only starter to return. Foster, Lewis, Campbell, Jefferson, Reddick are gone. Lowe, Hamilton, McIntosh, Andrews, Camp, Haynie, among others return.

So in total, GSU returns 3 starters offensively and all 11 defensively.

GSU will have at least 25 scholarships to offer come February.

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Furman's offense next year will be scary. Returning all 5 offensive linemen, big play receiver, speedy backs, and Jordan Sorrells left arm will replace Renaldo Gray's legs.

Defense we lose some good players, but we've been playing a lot of young guys this season. Lose only one player of the defensive line that leads the conference in sacks.

walliver
November 11th, 2007, 11:33 AM

We also lose both fullbacks and Dan Tavani. We should be OK at QB if Widmyer can hold on to the ball.

ERASU2113
November 11th, 2007, 12:13 PM
We lose our secondary, Richardson, Batichon , and Dexter Jackson to name a few.

We do return Armanti, Pierre Banks, D.J. Smith, Devon Moore. We have a lot of quality guys coming back that not many have heard of becuase of the guys in front of them.

appfan2008
November 11th, 2007, 12:26 PM

We do return Armanti, Pierre Banks, D.J. Smith, Devon Moore. We have a lot of quality guys coming back that not many have heard of becuase of the guys in front of them.

we should be at or near the top of the socon again next year as our entire dline and linbacking corps will be back... hurt in the secondary with everyone graduating... on o we will have to replace about half of the line... and half of the recievers which wont be a big deal bc their are a lot of great young recievers hanging around... richardson will be gone but moore and jackson should take over fine and of course with armanti coming back with coco backing him up i think we should be at the top of the socon again...

it looks that elon should be good again with so many players coming back

Eaglesrus
November 11th, 2007, 12:26 PM

We are in fact loosing 7 of the 10 offensive linemen in our two-deep. Huge area of concern for me.

ERASU2113
November 11th, 2007, 01:07 PM
we should be at or near the top of the socon again next year as our entire dline and linbacking corps will be back... hurt in the secondary with everyone graduating... on o we will have to replace about half of the line... and half of the recievers which wont be a big deal bc their are a lot of great young recievers hanging around... richardson will be gone but moore and jackson should take over fine and of course with armanti coming back with coco backing him up i think we should be at the top of the socon again...

Yea I agree that's the great thing about us....our backups are very skilled and could play and start for other schools. Granted early on next year we will have some growing pains espeically in the secondary.

smallcollegefbfan
November 11th, 2007, 01:19 PM

If I am not mistaken the backup CBs this year are bigger and just about as fast as the starters this year. Leonard Love is back and 2-star DB Justin Lloyd is coming in during the spring.

smallcollegefbfan
November 11th, 2007, 01:21 PM
A lot of very good players in the league coming back.

Wofford should be down but Elon, ASU, and Furman should be top 15 teams IMO.

gophoenix
November 11th, 2007, 01:39 PM
A lot of very good players in the league coming back.

Wofford should be down but Elon, ASU, and Furman should be top 15 teams IMO.

xrolleyesx

Yeah, Elon returns nearly everyone from a team that blew it. Yesterday was as bitter as it gets. I could care less about next year right now.

Jerbearasu
November 11th, 2007, 01:46 PM
If I am not mistaken the backup CBs this year are bigger and just about as fast as the starters this year. Leonard Love is back and 2-star DB Justin Lloyd is coming in during the spring.

I think Love may be a senior but I could be wrong on that. The other corner you didn't mention is Cortez Gilbert. I think he will be a stud and he will only be a junior next year.

AppAlum2003
November 11th, 2007, 01:56 PM

With the way he's been playing lately, I'd like to see D.J. Smith get a look at Safety next year. He's a big play guy that can hit. That's something we could definitely use next year with Lynch graduating.

CID1990
November 11th, 2007, 01:57 PM
El Cid will be stronger next year in spite of losing Duran Lawson and a couple keys at defense.

BestOfBreed
November 11th, 2007, 02:03 PM
We also lose both fullbacks and Dan Tavani. We should be OK at QB if Widmyer can hold on to the ball.

I look for Widmeyer to split time with Allen at QB and if Parks doesn't lose anything to the knee injury he'll be an upgrade at fullback. Romero's blocking and Kevious will be missed the most.

asu70
November 11th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I think Love may be a senior but I could be wrong on that. The other corner you didn't mention is Cortez Gilbert. I think he will be a stud and he will only be a junior next year.

Love is a junior and will be back for his senior year.

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 11th, 2007, 04:02 PM
xrolleyesx

Yeah, Elon returns nearly everyone from a team that blew it. Yesterday was as bitter as it gets. I could care less about next year right now.

YES!!! the last 2 games were painful and I am bitter today as well.

I expected Lembo to turn things around eventually, but he did it in two years.

We exceeded expectations this year and will be very tough next year and the following year.

We have a lot of Frosh and Sophs who played key roles this year.

Elon is only losing the following:
WR Mayers
OL Porterfield
DB Raglin
S Bland

RB Clegg (split time at RB w/ Newsome who is a Red-FR)

terrierbob
November 11th, 2007, 04:55 PM
YES!!! the last 2 games were painful and I am bitter today as well.

I expected Lembo to turn things around eventually, but he did it in two years.

We exceeded expectations this year and will be very tough next year and the following year.

We have a lot of Frosh and Sophs who played key roles this year.

Elon is only losing the following:
WR Mayers
OL Porterfield
DB Raglin
S Bland

RB Clegg (split time at RB w/ Newsome who is a Red-FR)

Y'all had a great season.

RazorEdge19
November 11th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I look for Widmeyer to split time with Allen at QB and if Parks doesn't lose anything to the knee injury he'll be an upgrade at fullback. Romero's blocking and Kevious will be missed the most.

Romero is back next season.

gophoenix
November 11th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Y'all had a great season.

That makes it all the more bitter. We had a good season, not a great season.

Millwoch
November 11th, 2007, 07:37 PM
xrolleyesx

Just remember sometimes that can be blessing...I know they will work that much harder in the off season to be ready for next year. I know it hurts now...I know this Citadel team is in the best shape I have ever seen and the Lembo comes from the same football tradition and background that Higgins is teaching our boys. Elon get scarier every year.

Millwoch
November 11th, 2007, 07:48 PM
El Cid will be stronger next year in spite of losing Duran Lawson and a couple keys at defense.

Our key losses are J. Laswon(S), D. Lawson(QB), T. Broughton(DE), A. Rowell(LB), and T. Cooper(RB)...Most of those guys are on D(we have already lost D. Lawson and the offense may end up being better) We also have to replace Chris McDowell the center.

We will not have the most returning or the least returning in the SOCON... I think we will be even stonger if Higgins keeps recruiting like he has the past 2 years. We still need speed to counter the likes of Appy and GSU.

Even though this year is not over yet...I can see the SOCON being just as crazy next year. What fun.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 11th, 2007, 07:59 PM
We are in fact loosing 7 of the 10 offensive linemen in our two-deep. Huge area of concern for me.

Especially the year we really will be transitioning to a "throwing" team. This year we had senior linemen, and a QB that scored more on broken plays than designed ones. Lowe is a decent runner, but he is no Foster.

fuEMO
November 11th, 2007, 09:45 PM
The 2007 Paladins made me proud Saturday but the truth is this senior class provided poor leadership. And in turn vastly underperformed.

Furman will return a very talented and deep offensive line, add to that an injured part time starter as a true freshman in 06, also add into the mix a couple of heralded redshirt linemen. Furman will IMO get a boost from Jordan Sorrells as QB. I liked Renaldo but his play was up and down. At the offensive skill positions Furman will have more talent than I can remember. LaFrance and Brown will be joined by Tank Baker and we are set at fullback to replace Felton. A position to keep an eye on Furman could have two All SoCon players at tightend.

Defensive line we're loaded, linebacker we lose talent but we gain speed, speed, speed. Anderson and Boykin will compete for starting positions in the spring. Corners we return 3 out of 4 and at safety 3 out of 4.

walliver
November 11th, 2007, 09:53 PM

I thought Romero and Widmyer came in the same year and are both juniors.

edit: I forgot to read all the posts before posting. My bad.

Baldy
November 11th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Especially the year we really will be transitioning to a "throwing" team. This year we had senior linemen, and a QB that scored more on broken plays than designed ones. Lowe is a decent runner, but he is no Foster.
Who is?

Lowe is a great runner. His legs will help an inexperienced O-Line through its transition. The real problem will be run blocking, not pass protection and we will have two absolute studs at RB. xeyebrowx

PaladinFan
It seems a lot of great offensive players are graduating. Think we might see a shift back to defensive football next year?

PaladinFan
Who is?

Lowe is a great runner. His legs will help an inexperienced O-Line through its transition. The real problem will be run blocking, not pass protection and we will have two absolute studs at RB. xeyebrowx

Why did we not see Hamilton more last night? 2 rushes for 2 yrds.

walliver
November 11th, 2007, 10:00 PM
That makes it all the more bitter. We had a good season, not a great season.

We know your pain.xnodx In 2002 we were less than a minute away from the auto-bid when a last minute Furman score took away our shot. Satan's minions (the committee) later did not invite us to the play-offs.

The next year, we ran the table in the SoCon and were playing in December (not quite as late in December as we would have liked, but sometimes you can't have it all.)

Of course, we have no intention of letting you run the table next year.:D

Baldy
November 11th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Why did we not see Hamilton more last night? 2 rushes for 2 yrds.
Hamilton has been banged up all season, even missed 2-3 games this year. Don't quite know why he didn't play more either. Also don't know why Billy Lowe didn't play more than the one play. xconfusedx

RazorEdge19
November 11th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Wofford will be hurting in some key areas. QB and FB namely. They've got a good base to build off of, but will need an off-season to really put it all together...

NashMoc
November 12th, 2007, 10:19 AM
UTC offense will have to replace 3-4 starters with the most important being QB as Miller is a senior. The possible replacements Pastore and Romans have not looked good in the limited action they saw this year. RB should be position of strength for the Mocs next season with both Errol Wynn and Bryan Fitzgerald returning. The line will have to replace 3 starters.

Defense will need to replace 5 players on a unit that was extremely disappointing this season. Biggest loss is tackle machine FS Chris Camacho. D-Line takes a big hit with the graduation of several key players in Nick Rivers, Charles Profit and Jason Vincent.

the unfortunate thing is that there is not a lot depth on the roster. Which leads me to believe that UTC will once again be stocking up on JUCO's and FBS transfers xmadx

walliver
November 12th, 2007, 10:40 AM
UTC offense will have to replace 3-4 starters with the most important being QB as Miller is a senior. The possible replacements Pastore and Romans have not looked good in the limited action they saw this year. RB should be position of strength for the Mocs next season with both Errol Wynn and Bryan Fitzgerald returning. The line will have to replace 3 starters.

Defense will need to replace 5 players on a unit that was extremely disappointing this season. Biggest loss is tackle machine FS Chris Camacho. D-Line takes a big hit with the graduation of several key players in Nick Rivers, Charles Profit and Jason Vincent.

the unfortunate thing is that there is not a lot depth on the roster. Which leads me to believe that UTC will once again be stocking up on JUCO's and FBS transfers xmadx

That's a shame. It would seem that UTC, being located in a happening town, playing in a national championship stadium, and very close to Atlanta, would be able to recruit quality high school athletes. With the JuCo and FBS transfers, UTC usually has great players but poor teams. The Mocs need to find a Higgins/Lembo type coach and rebuild the program from the ground up.xtwocentsx

NashMoc
November 12th, 2007, 10:58 AM
That's a shame. It would seem that UTC, being located in a happening town, playing in a national championship stadium, and very close to Atlanta, would be able to recruit quality high school athletes. With the JuCo and FBS transfers, UTC usually has great players but poor teams. The Mocs need to find a Higgins/Lembo type coach and rebuild the program from the ground up.xtwocentsx

I agree Walliver. Chattanooga seems to have a lot of pluses but the football team has been a big minus for many years. I think we need to cut ties with the current coaching staff and hope and pray that whomever the AD hires is a Lembo/Higgins type. Mocs fans cry about our lack of facilities, but we are not going to get the $upport to upgrade until we start winning some ballgames.

We do get some pretty good players via JUCO i.e. Eldra Buckley, however it does nothing for sustained winning. It is much easier to be consistenly successful with guys that are in the program for 4-5 years versus just 2.

Eyes of Old Main
November 12th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Elon has 18 of 22 starters and both kickers back next year.

Good to see the Fightin' Christians log in your avatar. You guys should have never gotten rid of that.

Eyes of Old Main
November 12th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I think Wofford will have a 2006 type season. A slow start with momentum building towards the end of the season. I'd expect 6-5/7-4 depending on OOC scheduling.

ElonPride
November 13th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Good to see the Fightin' Christians log in your avatar. You guys should have never gotten rid of that.

Dang NCAA.......

AshevilleApp
November 13th, 2007, 10:09 AM
For The Moutaineers projected starters with primary backups (08 yr): This assumes of course zero Freshmen or transfers start.

OFFENSE
QB - Edwards (Jr), Hillary (So)
RB - Moore (Jr), J.Jackson (Jr.)
WR - Courman (Sr.)
WR - J. Johnson (Sr.)
WR - Quick (So.)
OL - Acitelli (Jr.)
OL - Bieschke (Sr.)
OL - Kilgore (Jr.)
OL - Coley (Sr.)
OL - Newton (So.)
TE - Simpkins (Sr.), Hennessee (Sr.)

Key Losses: Brown (OL), Holt (OL), Suttle (OL), Elder (QB), Richardson (RB), Batichon (WR), Cardwell (TE)

DEFENSE
DL - Robertson (Jr.), Fletcher (So.)
DL - Tharrington (Jr.)
DL - Williams (Jr.)
DL - Washington (Sr.)
LB - Smith (So.)
LB - Roman (Jr.)
LB - Banks (Sr.)
S - Love (Sr.)
S - Dowda (Jr.)
CB - Gilbert (Jr.)
CB - Cruver (Sr.), LeGree (So.)

KEY LOSSES: Lynch (S), Woazeh (CB), Touchstone (CB)

S. TEAMS
P - Kassouf (Jr.)
K - Vitaris (So.)

KEY LOSS: Rauch (PK)

I could see App improving defensively and taking a step back offensively.

CID1990
November 13th, 2007, 10:26 AM
now i don't know nothin about nothin, but i think them fellers down at The Citadel gotta feel perdy darn tootin goood about Bart Blanchard at Qb for the next three seasons!

You mean, you ain't sayin, you're just sayin?

GaSouthern
November 13th, 2007, 12:38 PM
GSU fans are pretty happy about Billy Lowe possibly getting the nod to start next season if he wins the job out.