Delaware
Richmond
JMU
SIU
Appy
E. Ill

1 of these (Ala. A&M, Colgate, Albany, Ga. Southern, Norfolk St)"

Here's my take on the teams for the last At Large:
-Alabama A&M: 8-2 and @ 6-4 Prarie View next Saturday. Have a Div II on schedule, no I-A, win would give them 8 Div I wins.
-Colgate: 7-3 and @ 6-4 Holy Cross next Saturday. Have no Div II or I-A on schedule, so win would give them 8 Div I wins.
-Albany: 7-3 & @ 6-4 Cent Connecticut State next Saturday. Have no Div II or I-A on schedule, so win would give them 8 Div I wins.
-Norfolk State: 7-3 and hosts 6-4 Winston Salem State next Saturday. have a Div II and I-A (Rutgers, 59-0) on schedule, so win would give them 7 Div I wins
-GSU: 7-3 and @ I-A 1-9 Colorodo State next week. Have Div II and I-A on schedule. Win would give them 7 Div I wins.

Notice how 4 of those 5 teams have tough matchups, 3 on road, against 6-4 teams.

-Don't think GSU beats Colorodo State. Colorodo State, even though 1-9, a number of their losses has been close.
-If Norfolk State wins, they would only have 7 Div I wins, while Alabama A&M, Colgate and Albany all would have 8 if they won.
-Albany did beat Stony Brook by 1 and Fordham by 3. They lost to Colgate by 2, Hofstra by 15 and Montana by 21. If it comes down to Colgate and Albany I'm going to say Colgate gets it because Colgate won head to head.

Remember, the NCAA limit for trips by bus is 300 miles, and want to limit the teams flying as much as possible. 1st round, no matter how you do it with the 16 following teams, with no conference matchups in the 1st round, they'd be 5 teams driving and 3 flying). (I just did Mapquest from the town/city that each college was located in):

Top Half
1. @ UNI (11-0) (Gateway AQ)
EWU (8-3) (Big Sky At Large) (flying)

@ UD (9-2) (CAA At Large)
DSU (9-2) (MEAC AQ, only MEAC team) (driving- 44 miles)

4. @ SIU (10-1) (Gateway At Large)
E. ILL (OVC At Large) (driving- 160 miles)

@Wofford (8-3) (So-Con Co-Champ/AQ)
EKU (9-2) (OVC AQ) (driving* 314 miles)

Bottom Half
2. @ Montana (11-0) (Big Sky AQ)
Colgate (8-3) (Patriot At large) (flying)

@ UMass (9-2) (CAA Co Champ/AQ)
Fordham (9-2) (Patriot AQ) (driving- 153 miles)

3. @ McNeese (11-0) (Southland AQ, only Southland team)
UR (9-2) (CAA Co Champ/At Large) (flying)

@ ASU (9-2) (So-Con CoChamp/At Large) (Fri, Nov 23rd 1:30 PM, ESPN)
JMU (8-3) (CAA At Large) (driving-285 miles)

ESPN is televising a 1st round game on Fri, Nov 23rd, 1:30 PM. Course we know that will likely be whoever plays ASU in the 1st round, given that ASU became a household name in the college football world with their upset of Michigan. No other 1st round games listed for broadcast on ESPN or ESPN2.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnGuide

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2007, 01:26 AM
If SIU gets the #4 seed then the 5 western most playoff teams would have the 4 seeds. I would then simply switch the ASU/JMU in the Top Half with the SIU/EKU in the Bottom Half. Would still keep the 1st round matchups the same.

APPST '93
November 11th, 2007, 06:29 AM
AQs
Remember, the NCAA limit for trips by bus is 300 miles, and want to limit the teams flying as much as possible. 1st round, no matter how you do it with the 16 following teams, with no conference matchups in the 1st round, they'd be 5 teams driving and 3 flying). (I just did Mapquest from the town/city that each college was located in):

Top Half
1. @ UNI (11-0) (Gateway AQ)
EWU (8-3) (Big Sky At Large) (flying)

@ UD (9-2) (CAA At Large)
DSU (9-2) (MEAC AQ, only MEAC team) (driving- 44 miles)

4. @ SIU (10-1) (Gateway At Large)
E. ILL (OVC At Large) (driving- 160 miles)

@Wofford (8-3) (So-Con Co-Champ/AQ)
EKU (9-2) (OVC AQ-only OVC team) (driving* 314 miles)

Bottom Half
2. @ Montana (11-0) (Big Sky AQ)
Colgate (8-3) (Patriot At large) (flying)

@ UMass (9-2) (CAA Co Champ/AQ)
Fordham (9-2) (Patriot AQ) (driving- 153 miles)

3. @ McNeese (11-0) (Southland AQ, only Southland team)
UR (9-2) (CAA Co Champ/At Large) (flying)

@ ASU (9-2) (So-Con CoChamp/At Large) (Fri, Nov 23rd 1:30 PM, ESPN)
JMU (8-3) (CAA At Large) (driving-285 miles)

ESPN is televising a 1st round game on Fri, Nov 23rd, 1:30 PM. Course we know that will likely be whoever plays ASU in the 1st round, given that ASU became a household name in the college football world with their upset of Michigan. No other 1st round games listed for broadcast on ESPN or ESPN2.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnGuide

Change UR and EKU. I think this could be the bracket. xthumbsupx

FCS Preview
November 11th, 2007, 06:29 AM
You think Hofstra has no chance even if they beat UMass? They would have 8 D-I wins...

APPST '93
November 11th, 2007, 06:32 AM
You think Hofstra has no chance even if they beat UMass? They would have 8 D-I wins...

All of my $$$$$$ is on UMASS to win.

Houndawg
November 11th, 2007, 06:36 AM
If SIU gets the #4 seed then the 5 western most playoff teams would have the 4 seeds. I would then simply switch the ASU/JMU in the Top Half with the SIU/EKU in the Bottom Half. Would still keep the 1st round matchups the same.

That would be very nice for SIU, let ASU go to the Dome in the semis.

APPST '93
November 11th, 2007, 06:38 AM
That would be very nice for SIU, let ASU go to the Dome in the semis.

I think we'll pass. SIU deserves that #4 seed.

gvilleapp
November 11th, 2007, 06:43 AM
In the App post game radion show, David Jackson our play by play announcer and assoc. AD said the #1 seed will almost definetly play the Friday afternoon game in the first round. Looks like that means UNI at the dome on that Friday.

FCS Preview
November 11th, 2007, 06:59 AM
All of my $$$$$$ is on UMASS to win.

Mine too, but they deserve to be in the conversation until then. Especially if Albany and Colgate are involved.

Houndawg
November 11th, 2007, 07:04 AM

But, no, I insist......as two-time defending NC the honor must go to your esteemed institution.:D

Unless, of course, MSU gets the Griz, in which case we would, of course, take the 3 seed....

Houndawg
November 11th, 2007, 07:05 AM
In the App post game radion show, David Jackson our play by play announcer and assoc. AD said the #1 seed will almost definetly play the Friday afternoon game in the first round. Looks like that means UNI at the dome on that Friday.

Makes sense, weather won't be an issue.

ERASU2113
November 11th, 2007, 07:28 AM
What's the marquee first round game that ESPN will show? Any guesses?

colgate13
November 11th, 2007, 07:47 AM
It sure would nice to be in. Besides UMass, we lost 2 games by 3 points each - both of which you could point to any number of plays that could have easily made them Colgate wins. Oh well, we'll see.

danefan
November 11th, 2007, 08:19 AM
It sure would nice to be in. Besides UMass, we lost 2 games by 3 points each - both of which you could point to any number of plays that could have easily made them Colgate wins. Oh well, we'll see.

talk about a few plays for a difference....we'd also be sitting 9-2 or even 10-1 had a few plays gone the other way for us.

colgate13
November 11th, 2007, 08:40 AM
talk about a few plays for a difference....we'd also be sitting 9-2 or even 10-1 had a few plays gone the other way for us.

Cliche... but it IS a game of inches. xnodx xnodx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

Eaglesrus
November 11th, 2007, 08:53 AM

We've lost three this year; yesterday's on a missed field goal on the last play of the game, one by a touchdown in overtime and the other by 3 in double overtime. On the other hand we've won four by 3 or 4 points. At least our games have held my interest!

Barnstormer
November 11th, 2007, 09:00 AM

I dunno. We struggle getting the seats filled for first round games when they are on that Saturday... Stupid Pilgrims and their Thanksgiving, heh. Pretty sure Friday would be worse. Not sure crowd size would mean anything for broadcasting or not.

TheValleyRaider
November 11th, 2007, 09:19 AM

Heck, I'm still just a little surprised (pleasantly, of course) that we're being included in these playoff conversations :)

terrierbob
November 11th, 2007, 09:24 AM
We've lost three this year; yesterday's on a missed field goal on the last play of the game, one by a touchdown in overtime and the other by 3 in double overtime. On the other hand we've won four by 3 or 4 points. At least our games have held my interest!

Ours was the most entertaining game I've see when we've lost.

bcrawf
November 11th, 2007, 09:44 AM

I really doubt UNI would get that game...

1. Our AD has really been lobbying the NCAA to not have it...

2. Any team that comes here to play has a big trip to get here. I really believe that that game has DSU at UD written all over it for 2 reasons. First there is almost no travel associated with that game and second they can guarantee a full house due to the proximity of the two schools...

3. Somebody else can have it, we reall don't want it...:)

Houndawg
November 11th, 2007, 09:47 AM

2. Any team that comes here to play has a big trip to get here. I really believe that that game has DSU at UD written all over it for 2 reasons. First there is almost no travel associated with that game and second they can guarantee a full house due to the proximity of the two schools...

Nonsense, it would be wonderful exposure for your program.:D

URMite
November 11th, 2007, 09:51 AM

If so then what are the chances of changing the location too. xthumbsupx

We might outbid Wofford.

If SIU gets the seed, then ASU & Delaware are locks for home games. I would think GSU would be too if they win. The last one would be decided by who wants to bid enough. UMass would probably be leading the next group, and I would hope we would be next.

bigskyrocks
November 11th, 2007, 11:24 AM
it may make it more geographical to have jmu on the road at appy but i dont think wofford would out bid them, just by looking at the best game attendance for each shool jmu was 72 in the list while wofford was 135, i would expect the playoffs would be one of the most attended game

LehighFan11
November 11th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I think colgate is hurt by holy cross's loss to lafayette. Colgate needed to get a big win and with HC losses 2 games in a row, i dont think it would be enough. Would love to see 2 patroit league teams in the playoffs, considering it is a down year.

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I had EKU & stated they were the only OVC team. I just fixed that- I'd forgotten to after I put in E. Ill who I'd forgottten about.

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Nope, because that would change a driving game (If the NCAA would make Wofford/EKU driving- they are listed at 314 miles apart) and a flying game to 2 flying games. Remember, the committee will do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to limit the # of teams flying the 1st round, even if means slightly less desireable matchups or someone getting screwed (like JMU & YSU last season).

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2007, 02:41 PM

For Hofstra to get in they:
1. Have to beat Umass (I put that at about 20% chance)
2. AND hope Towson upsets JMU (I put that at about 10%- JMU senior day at home with playoffs on the line)
2. OR hope the committee takes 5 CAA teams.

People have been saying it for the last month now, that if there was 5 CAA 8-3 or better Hofstra would be the one left out at 8-3 as they are the ONLY ones among those 6 CAA teams that had NO I-A opponent.

Does Hofstra have a chance to get a bid? Extrememly slim- I'd put it at about 5%.

GRZZ
November 11th, 2007, 02:52 PM

I think that alone means you wont have that game. They usually let the top seed have some say in when their game is played. I know the semis are different, but APP wanted the Saturday game last year, so we had the Friday game.

I would also say that the APP radio announcer and associate AD were probably stating their best guess
but not fact (Don't jump all over me, I could be wrong). I say that because ESPN is going to want the game that has the highest drawing potential and it is not going to be the number one seed versus anyone. I think it takes a huge push by APP for that not to be their game. The first round national TV game hasn't been the top seed consistently has it? Does anyone have a list of first round TV games the last few years?

skinny_uncle
November 11th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Putting SIU in the bottom half would mean they would have to move up to a 3 seed. Who do you think is going to lose a game to open that door, Montana or McNeese?

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Wait a minute! I don't think the committe/NCAA dictates to ESPN which game ESPN will televise. I can't see the committe saying to ESPN, this is the bracket and you will televise this game on Fri, 23rd.

I think the committe will 1st decide on the 16 teams. Then they'll do the pairings. Then they'll consult with ESPN and ESPN will pick which game they want to televise. This game will not bring very big ratings for ESPN. And it is without a doubt that the team that would provide the best ratings for ESPN will be ASU, hands down, for the simple fact that they are the ONLY I-AA that the entire football nation is familiar with or has at least heard of due to the ASU win over Michigan. This will be even bigger if Michigan upsets Ohio State in Ann Arbor this Saturday to go to the Rose Bowl. Remember, who plays in the Fri game will have NOTHING to do with team travel (which team would have to travel the farthest). It will have EVERYTHING to do with ratings as determined by ESPN. Then there will be the selection show. Remember, at the selection show, the game times & whoever is matched upon Fri will be announced, so that will already have been decided next Sun morning or Sat evening.

Now unless the NCAA and ESPN already have some sort of agreement in place that hasn't been made public to televise the #1 seed on that Fri, which I highly doubt...

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Putting SIU in the bottom half would mean they would have to move up to a 3 seed. Who do you think is going to lose a game to open that door, Montana or McNeese?

SIU would be the #4 seed and in the same half of the bracket as the #1 seed, top half, bottom half, whatever. I have SIU as the #4 seed in the same half of my bracket as the #1 seed UNI.

URMite
November 11th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Nope, because that would change a driving game (If the NCAA would make Wofford/EKU driving- they are listed at 314 miles apart) and a flying game to 2 flying games. Remember, the committee will do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to limit the # of teams flying the 1st round, even if means slightly less desireable matchups or someone getting screwed (like JMU & YSU last season).

Wofford is closer to Richmond, KY than Richmond, VA? I did not know that.

alexale23
November 11th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Do you guys think is possible that JMU will go on the road to play RIchmond in the first round if JMU beats Towson.

BlueHen86
November 11th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Do you guys think is possible that JMU will go on the road to play RIchmond in the first round if JMU beats Towson.
Can't happen in the first round.

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Not sure i agree about SIU getting a 4 seed. Two seeds for the Gateway seems a bit optimistic. CAA Champion should get the N0.4 seed IMHO.

smallcollegefbfan
November 11th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Not sure i agree about SIU getting a 4 seed. Two seeds for the Gateway seems a bit optimistic. CAA Champion should get the N0.4 seed IMHO.

I agree but I see either SIU, ASU, or UMASS getting the seed. They all still need to win this week to ensure that, though.

yosefcity
November 11th, 2007, 04:54 PM
#1 UNI hosting EWU

Delaware hosting DSU

#4 SIU host Eastern Illinois

UMASS hosting Fordham

#2 Montana hosting Colgate

Richmond hosting EKU

#3 McNeese hosting Wofford

App State hosting JMU

danefan
November 11th, 2007, 05:44 PM
#1 UNI hosting EWU

Delaware hosting DSU

#4 SIU host Eastern Illinois

UMASS hosting Fordham

#2 Montana hosting Colgate

Richmond hosting EKU

#3 McNeese hosting Wofford

App State hosting JMU

I think if you switch UMass to host Colgate, Richmond to host Fordham, and Montana to host EKU you'd be closer.

skinny_uncle
November 11th, 2007, 06:15 PM

Why not? The only other potential 10-1 team is Delaware State (unless one of the currently undefeated teams lose). If SIU wins, they should get the four seed.

appfan2008
November 11th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I think the #4 seed could go to umass or richmond or deleware whoever wins the caa... that conference deserves a seed... and siu and uni should not have to play till the title game

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Disagree. Finishing second in the Gateway should not get you the 4 seed over a SoCon or CAA Champion.

Go Apps
November 11th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Here are a few clarifications for who is and who is eligible for the playoff field:

The Ivy League does not participate in the playoffs by decree of the Ivy school presidents.; - The SWAC will send its division champions to the SWAC title game on Dec. 16, so only second place teams and below are playoff eligible. -The Great West Conference does not have an automatic bid, but both Cal Poly and Southern Utah are playoff eligible. UC Davis, North Dakota State and South Dakota State are in their transitional phase from Division II football and are not playoff eligible.; - The five-team Big South Conference’s teams are eligible for the playoffs, but the league does not have an automatic bid. The MAAC, NEC and PFL are also eligible for the playoffs, but do not have an automatic bid.

Below, take a look at the prospects of I-AA teams that can still entertain realistic playoff hopes heading into the last two weeks of the regular season. Schools are ranked by their chances of making the 16-team field, as determined by Me, and not by current top 25 rank or potential playoff seeds. Current overall and conference records are in parentheses, and each team’s remaining schedule is listed with a brief synopsis of its chances.

1. Northern Iowa (10-0, 6-0 Gateway)
The Games: Southern Utah (11/18)

Outlook: AQ The Panthers continue to dominate and are sitting pretty! With a strong conference and undefeated record thus far, there is little doubt they will be a top 4 seed! The #1 seed is theirs to lose.

2. Montana (10-0, 7-0 Big Sky)
The Games: at Montana State (11/18)

Outlook: AQ The Grizzlies sit in this position due to their unbeaten record and past history. The #2 seed is theirs, just win out. One loss puts them in a tough position, with the conference down, they could slide right out of the top 4 seeds depending on other teams waiting. A tough finale at Montana State will test the Grizzles.

3. McNeese State (10-0, 6-0 Southland)
The Games: Central Arkansas (11/18)

Outlook: AQ The Cowboys are in as the Southland Conference representative. If they lose, the Cowboys could possibly fall out of the top 4 seeds, and a tough contest this week against Central Arkansas will have definite implications on seeding.

4. Southern Illinois (9-1, 5-1 Gateway)
The Games: at Hampton (11/18)

Outlook: IN With their only loss to top ranked Northern Iowa the Salukis are in great shape! If they can win this week, they have a shot at the top 4 seed, now that Delaware has gotten out of the way. A close look at their schedule compared to others will keep things interesting until the parings are announced.

5. Appalachian State (8-2, 4-2 SoCon)
The Games: UTC (11/18)

Outlook: IN A 9-2 regular season record looks to be a lock with only UTC remaining. The Mountaineers look to be making a statement to the committee, putting 79 up on WCU is impressive. If ASU wins this week and big, they are in the discussion for a top 4 seed. If S. Illinois, McNeese, or Montana looses, Mountainers will no doubt grab a top 4 seed. ASU will definitely host a first round game, look for them to be televised on ESPN the Friday after Thanksgiving, count on it!

6. Massachusetts (8-2, 6-1 CAA)
The Games: at Hofstra (11/18)

Outlook: IN What a difference a week makes, UMass came out and reclaimed their position among the elite! They are certainly in the post season and will be hosting a first round game. Just as ASU they are in the discussion for a top 4 seed, with some help and they must win over a desperate Hofstra team.

7. Fordham (8-2, 5-0 Patriot)
The Games: Bucknell (11/17)

Outlook: AQ The Patriot title is wrapped up and that puts Fordham in the playoffs. A likely matchup with a CAA team looks to be a lock.

8. Richmond (8-2, 6-1 CAA)
The Games: William & Mary (11/17)

Outlook: IN The Spiders continue to be on the rise, this past weekend was a game for the record books, where the Spiders outlasted a strong Delaware. The win put them in the post season and a win this weekend will finish a great regular season. The Spiders need help but they could still get a top 4 seed if things go south for other teams.

9. Wofford (8-3, 5-2 SoCon)
REGULAR SEASON COMPLETE

Outlook: AQ The Terriers found themselves in a great position by the end of Saturday. From the bubble to SoCon Champs, yes ASU could still tie for the conference title, but the head to head win over ASU gives the Autobid to the Terriors. The Terriors get a week to prepare for the playoffs!

10. Delaware State (9-1, 8-0 MEAC)
The Games: Howard (11/17)

Outlook: AQ The Hornets needed a win Saturday to capture the autobid, and a dramatic win it was. They most likely face a CAA team in round 1.

11. . Eastern Kentucky (8-2, 7-0 OVC)
The Games: Tenn Tech (11/17)

Outlook: AQ The Colonels have been the best of the OVC, and they secured the Autobid this weekend.

12. Delaware (8-2, 5-2 CAA)
The Games: at Villanova (11/18)

Outlook: IN The Blue Hens tumbled out of the drivers seat this weekend of the CAA. A tough loss and a strong test this upcoming weekend could have them on their heels. But the Hens are in the post season, even with a loss, but a win could give them a first round game.

13. James Madison (7-3, 5-2 A-10)
The Games: Towson (11/17)

Outlook: The Dukes did what they needed to do this weekend, win! Thanks to Hofstra JMU now controls their own destiny, a win and they are definitely in.

14 Eastern Washington (7-3, 5-2 Big Sky)
The Games: Weber State (11/17)

Outlook: EW's win this weekend, coupled with other losses puts them in great shape. They must beat Weber State, the only worry is a down year for the Big Sky.

15. Eastern Illinois (7-3, 6-1 OVC)
The Games: Samford (11/17)

Outlook: The Panthers will earn strong consideration if they can win in their last game. This past weekends results puts them in good shape!

16. Georgia Southern (7-3, 4-3 SoCon)
The Games: at Colorado State (11/17)

Outlook: What happened! With the loss by Elon, a Wofford win, GSU was a kick away from capturing the SoCon Autobid in dramatic fashion. But the Paladins (who really outplayed GSU) were not to be denied, when the last second kick just missed. Bad news is that GSU had time to put the ball in the middle of the field??? At 8-3 with a great resume that will definitely put GSU in the post season, but now they find themselves climbing a mountain. GSU must win at Colorado State and while I think the Eagles can win, this will be a tough task. Win and you are in with a home game!!

17. Colgate (7-3, 4-1 Patriot)
The Games: at Holy Cross (11/17)

Outlook: Again I see the Patriot league gaining ground. A loss or two from the teams above and a win at Colgate and I believe they are in. Regardless of the rest of the country, they need to focus on the win Saturday.

18. Hofstra (7-3, 4-3 CAA)
The Games: UMass (11/17)

Outlook: Hofstra made a statement a week ago and this week they put themselves squarely on the bubble. Hope is still alive beat UMASS and you are in, good luck you are going to need it!

19. Alabama A&M (8-2, 6-2 SWAC)
The Games: at Praire View (11/17)

Outlook: Keep winning! This is the theme for Ala A&M, they also need to do some scoreboard watching. What’s on their side, location, the committee may need another southern team to even out the field.

20. Norfolk State (7-3, 6-2 MEAC)
The Games: Winston Salem State (11/17)

Outlook: A tough loss this weekend, breaks hearts, but I think hope is still alive! They must win this weekend and hope for lots of upsets to sneak into the post season, but anything can happen.

Below are my current projections for the I-AA playoff field and possible match-ups, based on expectations for the remaining games this season.

Automatic Bids: Patriot: Fordham, A10: UMass, Big Sky: Montana, Southland: McNeese State, Southern: Wofford, Gateway: Northern Iowa, MEAC: Delaware State, OVC: Eastern Kentucky.

At-large: Appalachian State, Colgate, Delaware, E. Illinois, E. Washington, James Madison, Richmond, and Southern Illinois.

Seeds: Northern Iowa, Montana, McNeese State, Appalachain State.

Bracket I: E Washington at No. 1 Northern Iowa; EKU at S. Illinois;
James Madison at No. 4 Appalachian State; Fordham at Massachussets

Bracket II: E. Illinois at No. 2 Montana; Delaware State at Delaware ;
Wofford at No. 3 McNeese State; Colgate at Richmond.

GtFllsGriz
November 11th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Great job! Have you ever thought about being Executive Director at the Sports Network, FCS Division?

AZGrizFan
November 11th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Disagree. Finishing second in the Gateway should not get you the 4 seed over a SoCon or CAA Champion.

I would agree. Fourth seed will go to the CAA or SoCon champ.

Go Apps
November 11th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Despite what you see, I'm not a writer - just enjoyed seeing this!

AZGrizFan
November 11th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Bracket I: E Washington at No. 1 Northern Iowa; EKU at S. Illinois;
James Madison at No. 4 Appalachian State; Fordham at Massachussets

Bracket II: E. Illinois at No. 2 Montana; Delaware State at Delaware ;
Wofford at No. 3 McNeese State; Colgate at Richmond.

Sure seems like you've got Bracket 1 STACKED.

Bracket 1/2

UNI - Montana
SIU - McNeese State
ASU - Richmond
UMass - Delaware
JMU - Wofford
EWU - Delaware State
EKU - Colgate
Fordham - E. Illinois

Seems to me the significantly tougher path is through bracket 1. JMHO.

McNeeserocket
November 11th, 2007, 08:30 PM

I disagree! The seeds shouldn't be passed out based on spreading the seeds across as many conferences as possible. The best teams should get the seeds. Otherwise a team is punished for being in a conference with another strong deserving seeded team.

The best teams with the best records get the seeds.

CamelCityAppFan
November 11th, 2007, 08:48 PM
The best teams with the best records get the seeds.

The best teams don't always have the best records...

uofmman1122
November 11th, 2007, 09:04 PM
The best teams don't always have the best records...Not always, but when a team's only loss comes to the #1 team in the country by a small margin, I'd say the record speaks for itself. SIU deserves a seed if they win out.

nmatsen
November 11th, 2007, 09:07 PM

winning a conference does not get you a seed, SUPPOSEDLY being one the of the top four teams in the country does. it would not be the first time that two schools from one conference were seeded. it would not even be the first time in 5 years. don't penalize SIU for playing do the final second on the road at the number one team in the country's place. technically the committee (if they give UNI the one seed) will feel that EVERYONE would lose to UNI at the Dome.

bigskyrocks
November 11th, 2007, 09:24 PM
imo you leave colgate out and insert alabame a&m if them and jackson st wins. but then you send ewu to mcneese and aam to montana, but if aam wins and jackson looses or aau looses then i think you hit it on the head

SeattleGriz
November 11th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Anyone who puts this effort in gets rep points from me.

Jar loose tightarses!

colgate13
November 11th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I think colgate is hurt by holy cross's loss to lafayette. Colgate needed to get a big win and with HC losses 2 games in a row, i dont think it would be enough. Would love to see 2 patroit league teams in the playoffs, considering it is a down year.

Down for who? I consider this year an improvement from last year...

colgate13
November 11th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I think if you switch UMass to host Colgate, Richmond to host Fordham, and Montana to host EKU you'd be closer.

I doubt a Colgate/Umass rematch in the first round. Fordham will go to UMass. Colgate is being sent flying if they are going anywhere IMO.

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2007, 10:07 PM

The seed is suppose to go to the top 4 teams period.

Assuming SIU, ASU, UMass and UR win Saturday:

SIU compared to ASU:
-10-1 vs 9-2. Advantage SIU
-SIU I-A win (Northern Ill), ASU I-A win Michigan, Advantage ASU
-SIU one conference loss by 6 @ #1 UNI. ASU 2 conference losses. Huge advantage SIU.
-Both tied #5 latest GPI. SIU will probably be one spot ahead due to beating now 4-7 Ill St while ASU beat now 1-9 Western Carolina
Right now its pretty clear SIU is a notch above ASU as far as deserving the #4 seed.

SIU compared to UMass & UR:

-SIU I-A win (Iowa State), UMass & UR I-A losses. Advantage SIU

-SIU 1 conference loss by 6 to #1 team in nation. UMass 1 conference loss @ likely 2-9 URI in OT. UR 1 conference loss on last play @ likely 3-8 Towson. Advantage SIU.

-SIU tied #5 in latest GPI, UR # 7, UMass # 8. With UD's loss SIU will likely move up to #4 and UR to #5-6 and UMass might move up a spot, depending on how far UD falls. Advantage SIU.

ASU at least has an arguement. UMass and UR have very little other than the strenght of the CAA. But you don't lose to a 2-9 team (I don't care if it was in a northeaster) or a 3-8 team and expect to get a seed while tying for your conference title.

6 times in the past 21 playoffs 2 teams from the same conference have gotten a top 4 seed. Come Sunday, it will likely be 7.

IF Montana loses to Montana State, I think that would drop them out f a seed (deservedly so) and ASU would get the #4 seed. The only way UMass or UR would get a seed is if 2 of the seeds lost saturday. UNI ain't losing to 0-10 S. Utah. There is a chance that 6-4 Cent. Ark @ McNeese could pull the upset, and/or Montana could lose to 6-4 Montana St, and/or SIU could lose to @ 6-4 Hampton. Now that I'm thinking about it, the odds are that one of those 3 teams loses and ASU gets the #4 seed.

bcrawf
November 11th, 2007, 10:07 PM
UNI beat Iowa State. SIU beat Northern Illinois.

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2007, 10:13 PM
UNI beat Iowa State. SIU beat Northern Illinois.

Oops, got those 2 I-A wins confused. Fixed it.

appfan2008
November 11th, 2007, 10:36 PM
The seed is suppose to go to the top 4 teams period.

Assuming SIU, ASU, UMass and UR win Saturday:

SIU compared to ASU:
-SIU I-A win (Northern Ill), ASU I-A win Michigan, Advantage ASU
-SIU one conference loss by 6 @ #1 UNI. ASU 2 conference losses. Huge advantage SIU.
-Both tied #5 latest GPI. SIU will probably be one spot ahead due to beating now 4-7 Ill St while ASU beat now 1-9 Western Carolina
Right now its pretty clear SIU is a notch above ASU as far as deserving the #4 seed.

SIU compared to UMass & UR:

-SIU I-A win (Iowa State), UMass & UR I-A losses. Advantage SIU

-SIU 1 conference loss by 6 to #1 team in nation. UMass 1 conference loss @ likely 2-9 URI in OT. UR 1 conference loss on last play @ likely 3-8 Towson. Advantage SIU.

-SIU tied #5 in latest GPI, UR # 7, UMass # 8. With UD's loss SIU will likely move up to #4 and UR to #5-6 and UMass might move up a spot, depending on how far UD falls. Advantage SIU.

ASU at least has an arguement. UMass and UR have very little other than the strenght of the CAA. But you don't lose to a 2-9 team (I don't care if it was in a northeaster) or a 3-8 team and expect to get a seed while tying for your conference title.

6 times in the past 21 playoffs 2 teams from the same conference have gotten a top 4 seed. Come Sunday, it will likely be 7.

IF Montana loses to Montana State, I think that would drop them out f a seed (deservedly so) and ASU would get the #4 seed. The only way UMass or UR would get a seed is if 2 of the seeds lost saturday. UNI ain't losing to 0-10 S. Utah. There is a chance that 6-4 Cent. Ark @ McNeese could pull the upset, and/or Montana could lose to 6-4 Montana St, and/or SIU could lose to @ 6-4 Hampton. Now that I'm thinking about it, the odds are that one of those 3 teams loses and ASU gets the #4 seed.

only if it was that easy!

AZGrizFan
November 12th, 2007, 01:13 AM

Those three teams have exactly 1 loss between them, and that was to the consensus #1 team in the nation. I'd say the ODDS are that NONE of them will lose this weekend. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

th0m
November 12th, 2007, 03:24 AM
If only your coach would look at the game like that ;)

Sam Adams
November 12th, 2007, 05:54 AM
No way does the Gateway get 2 seeds. Sorry. Ain't gonna happen. SoCon or CAA is getting a 4.

Cincy App
November 12th, 2007, 07:55 AM
No way does the Gateway get 2 seeds. Sorry. Ain't gonna happen. SoCon or CAA is getting a 4.

Exactly. The two strongest conferences this year were the SoCon and CAA. No way that neither of them gets a seed. SIU does not have any quality wins. They will be disappointed on Sunday.

Ronin
November 12th, 2007, 08:48 AM

I would have placed SIU higher than the # 4 seed and given ASU the # 4 spot.

Oh well just another opinion...:)

Ronin
November 12th, 2007, 08:53 AM
What I find interesting is everyone seems to assume Montana and McNeese should be automatically seeded.

It will be interesting to see where the committee places value. On record or a combination of record and SOS (Sagarin ratings). IMHO I value Sagarin more and this would put both SIU and ASU in the seeding.

Rob Iola
November 12th, 2007, 08:57 AM
What I find interesting is everyone seems to assume Montana and McNeese should be automatically seeded.

It will be interesting to see where the committee places value. On record or a combination of record and SOS (Sagarin ratings). IMHO I value Sagarin more and this would put both SIU and ASU in the seeding.

Undefeated speaks volumes when it comes to rank and seeding. Conference strength speaks volumes when it comes to awarding at-large berths to 8-3 teams.

SIU has an excellent case for the 4 seed (but never forget 2003!).xrolleyesx

HensRock
November 12th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Colgate beating Holy Cross is no given.
Personally, I think if Alabama A&M beats Prairie View (also not a given), the 9-2 record (OK, 8-2 with a D-II win) will be tough to ignore. If that plays out, then ???

#1 UNI
EIU

ASU
JMU

#4 UMass
Fordham

Delaware
Del State

#2 Montana
SIU

EKU
EWU

#3 McNeese
Alabama A&M

Richmond
Wofford

Rob Iola
November 12th, 2007, 09:26 AM
#2 Montana
SIU

Yup, 2003 all over again. Without, of course, that UD team applying the wood to SIU...

Houndawg
November 12th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Exactly. The two strongest conferences this year were the SoCon and CAA. No way that neither of them gets a seed. SIU does not have any quality wins. They will be disappointed on Sunday.

YSU was #10 whe SIU beat them. Who are the quality wins for Montana and McNeese?

Houndawg
November 12th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Yup, 2003 all over again. Without, of course, that UD team applying the wood to SIU...

Actually I think I'd rather forego the 4 seed and travel to Montana. Save UNI for Chatanooga.

nmatsen
November 12th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Colgate beating Holy Cross is no given.
Personally, I think if Alabama A&M beats Prairie View (also not a given), the 9-2 record (OK, 8-2 with a D-II win) will be tough to ignore. If that plays out, then ???

#1 UNI
EIU

ASU
JMU

#4 UMass
Fordham

Delaware
Del State

#2 Montana
SIU

EKU
EWU

#3 McNeese
Alabama A&M

Richmond
Wofford

Use your head dude. Seriously? Send 10-1 SIU whos only loss is at number one UNI by less than a touchdown to the number two seed. Wow, thats harsh. Oh well, at least we would find out quickly how tough Montana is.

BDKJMU
November 12th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Those three teams have exactly 1 loss between them, and that was to the consensus #1 team in the nation. I'd say the ODDS are that NONE of them will lose this weekend. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

All 3 are playing decent 6-4 teams. If each of them has a ballpark 75% chance, give or take, of winning their games, its still way better than 50/50% that one suffers an upset. Of those 3 Montana would be the most likely, esp given the distraction of the recent arrests and the fact that its on the road. I'd put Montana's chances of winning at about 70%, SIU@ Hampton about 75%, McNeese at home 85%.

grizbeer
November 12th, 2007, 03:01 PM

It will be interesting to see where the committee places value. On record or a combination of record and SOS (Sagarin ratings). IMHO I value Sagarin more and this would put both SIU and ASU in the seeding.FWIW on Saturday's pre-game show Jim O'Day (Montana's AD) talked about his conversations with Terry Wanless (Sac State's AD, and member of the selection committee). According to Wanless if Montana wins out they will get a seed. If Montana is impressive in teh last 2 games (ISU and MSU) they should get a 1 or 2.

I don't think Montana was impressive against ISU, and doubt they will blow out MSU, so a 3 seed seems reasonable (with UNI #1, McNeese #2).

Saluki_man
November 12th, 2007, 03:58 PM
If the season ended today the seeds should be as follows:

#1 UNI
#2 Montana
#3 McNeese
#4 SIU

ASU, UMass, UD all have too many losses to jump these four teams.

WrenFGun
November 12th, 2007, 06:57 PM
If Georgia Southern loses to Colorado State and the committee isn't serious about taking a team like 'Bama A&M, I think there is a distinct possibility a 7-4 team will get in.

BDKJMU
November 12th, 2007, 07:02 PM
If Georgia Southern loses to Colorado State and the committee isn't serious about taking a team like 'Bama A&M, I think there is a distinct possibility a 7-4 team will get in.

I know its nice to dream, xsmiley_wix but NO, UNH ISN'T getting in at 7-4. They're a better team than a handful of the bottom playoff teams (whoever that turns out to be), but no 7-4 is getting in this year.