PDA

View Full Version : After a very close come from behind win.....does NDSU drop in the polls??

igo4uni
November 10th, 2007, 09:36 PM
thoughts???

Chi Panther
November 10th, 2007, 09:38 PM
No....flying from Fargo to California...its always tough to be at your best after traveling that far. Oh and Cal-Poly is pretty damn good.

Hansel
November 10th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Comeback win against a good team on the road?

I don't see why that should drop them

TheBisonator
November 10th, 2007, 09:40 PM
It stays as it is.

#1 Northern Iowa
#2 North Dakota State

speechpanther
November 10th, 2007, 09:43 PM
They better not. These close battles and comebacks can really show what a team is made of. I think we saw exactly how good this NDSU team is today. Selfishly, I'm glad I don't have to worry about them playing UNI until next year.

Thunderstruck84
November 10th, 2007, 09:47 PM
No....flying from Fargo to California...its always tough to be at your best after traveling that far. Oh and Cal-Poly is pretty damn good.
I agree, couldn't watch the game but from listening to it on the radio, the Poly team/crowd was jacked up for this game and played a terrific game. The fact that the Bison played as poorly as they did and still managed to win the game on the road against a very good opponent only validates their poll position.

BigApp
November 10th, 2007, 09:54 PM
hey, did it bankrupt your program to travel from NDakota to California?? :D

NDSUFREAK
November 10th, 2007, 09:57 PM
hey, did it bankrupt your program to travel from NDakota to California?? :D

FOR 5 YEARS!....i know it would devastate Montana. xlolx xlolx xlolx

NDSUFREAK
November 10th, 2007, 09:58 PM
oh, and i dont really care what NDSU is ranked after this. Top is is great as far as I'm concerned...i'm just on an amazing high right now

SeattleGriz
November 10th, 2007, 09:59 PM
I seem to remember something about it not being what NDSU did, its more about what other teams did.

Did anyone in the top 4 play more impressive than NDSU today?

No_Skill
November 10th, 2007, 10:01 PM
xnodx xrotatehx xnodx :D xrotatehx xnodx :D xrotatehx WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW :D

igo4uni
November 10th, 2007, 10:01 PM

check the uni score.

JALMOND
November 10th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I agree, couldn't watch the game but from listening to it on the radio, the Poly team/crowd was jacked up for this game and played a terrific game. The fact that the Bison played as poorly as they did and still managed to win the game on the road against a very good opponent only validates their poll position.

Homecoming at Poly today probably had something to do with it. I don't think NDSU should drop. I think a better question is how far does Cal Poly drop.

Hansel
November 10th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I seem to remember something about it not being what NDSU did, its more about what other teams did.

UNI beat 0-10 Indiana State
Montana beat 3-7 Idaho St
McNeese beat 3-7 NW St

nothing too exciting there ;)

SeattleGriz
November 10th, 2007, 10:04 PM
McNeese beat 3-7 NW St

I wasn't implying there was, just repeating the mantra thrown around earlier this year.

Hammerhead
November 10th, 2007, 10:04 PM
A come-from-behind win on the road against a team that was in contention for a playoff spot isn't too bad.

TheBisonator
November 10th, 2007, 10:07 PM
check the uni score.

Everybody does that to Indiana State.

bison gameday
November 10th, 2007, 10:11 PM
i love having these kind of games over getting a blow out win

grizbeer

I don't see why that should drop themwhat's Cal Poly's record against D-1 teams? 5-4? perception is a funny thing.

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
Why wasn't this question asked when UNI came from behind to win a couple of weeks ago, at home I might add??

grizbeer
November 10th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Why wasn't this question asked when UNI came from behind to win a couple of weeks ago, at home I might add??Because UNI will not declare themselves a champion until they win all the playoff games. you coach says if you win next week you will be champions.

igo4uni
November 10th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Why wasn't this question asked when UNI came from behind to win a couple of weeks ago, at home I might add??

Cuz I'm a homer.............duh!!!!xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

Gil Dobie
November 10th, 2007, 10:14 PM
what's Cal Poly's record against D-1 teams? 5-4? perception is a funny thing.

So because some of Montana's opponents had bad records, I should have dropped Montana in the polls. xconfusedx

igo4uni
November 10th, 2007, 10:14 PM
you coach says if you win next week you will be champions.

Did Bohl really say that??

grizbeer
November 10th, 2007, 10:15 PM
So because some of Montana's opponents had bad records, I should have dropped Montana in the polls. xconfusedxseems everyone else did - remember when Montana was #1 - and Montana still hasn't lost?

bison gameday
Because UNI will not declare themselves a champion until they win all the playoff games. you coach says if you win next week you will be champions.

i think you take somethings out of context about coach bohl

Gil Dobie
Because UNI will not declare themselves a champion until they win all the playoff games. you coach says if you win next week you will be champions.

Link xrolleyesx

Gil Dobie
November 10th, 2007, 10:18 PM
seems everyone else did - remember when Montana was #1 - and Montana still hasn't lost?

So now that UNI is #1, it's NDSU's fault, and some Griz posters are taking it out on them. xnonono2x

No_Skill
November 10th, 2007, 10:18 PM

Show me a direct link...not something Coulson wrote. xrolleyesx xcoolx xrolleyesx xcoolx xrolleyesx

grizbeer
November 10th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Did Bohl really say that??

He is working hard to claim a mythical national Championship

But North Dakota State head football coach Craig Bohl wants you to know that his team isn’t getting enough national attention.

"We are craving national attention,” he said in the postgame press conference after beating FBS Minnesota 27-21. “The NCAA is not allowing us to play in the playoffs, and we are going to do everything we can to keep on showing people around the country that in our division, we are the best in the country and we are going to take them one at a time."

Coach Bohl was also quoted on a Minnesota radio show stating "If we can't be in the playoffs, by gosh we can win the championship through a vote."
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=88502

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
November 10th, 2007, 10:19 PM

That right, Great West Football Conference Champs!!

FCS Go!
November 10th, 2007, 10:20 PM

Yeah! Isn't that how its supposed to work? xeyebrowx

Awww... the Bison got lucky, no one behind them was terribly impressive today. Oh well...

westdakotabison
November 10th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Show me a direct link...not something Coulson Made up. xrolleyesx xcoolx xrolleyesx xcoolx xrolleyesx

Fixed it for ya

grizbeer
November 10th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Show me a direct link...not something Coulson wrote. xrolleyesx xcoolx xrolleyesx xcoolx xrolleyesx
Sorry I posted my response before I replied below - you don't believe Coulson? see there, weird world where a Montana guy defends Coulson:D

Gil Dobie
November 10th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Sorry I posted my response before I replied below - you don't believe Coulson? see there, weird world where a Montana guy defends Coulson:D

That's the only place I've seen that quote.

FCSFAN
November 10th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Show me a direct link...not something Coulson wrote.Or something that was posted on the official NDSU site (Gil Dobie) or the audio linked here by other Bison fans, you know the ones who are not annoying? :P

grizbeer
November 10th, 2007, 10:30 PM
So now that UNI is #1, it's NDSU's fault, and some Griz posters are taking it out on them. xnonono2xHow are we taking it out on you? what are we taking out on you? are griz fans going to the NDSU board and saying the Bison suck (i don't know, I haven't been there) if they are, sorry, that isn't right. are griz fans going to your board and saying sucks to be you, we are #1? that isn't right.

But if you ask does coming from behind and winning close games knock you down in the polls, well from Montana's experience I would have to say yes - and apparently your coach thinks being ranked #1 in the polls is worth a championship, so i would think if the griz fall in the polls for winning close, then yeah the Bison should get knocked down for winning close also. maybe if your coach had said the polls don't really mean anything since there is a playoff system, then it wouldn't matter.

ngineer
November 10th, 2007, 10:30 PM

I don't see why that should drop them

I agree. All teams do a little stumbling at some point in the year and the travel and very good opposition is a tough nugget. To come from behind and win says a lot about any team.

BisonBacker
November 10th, 2007, 10:31 PM

Nice try but that's not what he said.

GreatAppSt
November 10th, 2007, 10:34 PM
McNeese beat 3-7 NW St

Looks like these three took care of business against lesser foes. In my book that is always more impressive than a come from behind over a team you should beat.xthumbsupx

grizbeer
November 10th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Nice try but that's not what he said.
What did he say exactly - please post a direct link, not just something posted by Coulson or some annoying Bison fan.

Gil Dobie
November 10th, 2007, 10:37 PM
How are we taking it out on you? what are we taking out on you? are griz fans going to the NDSU board and saying the Bison suck (i don't know, I haven't been there) if they are, sorry, that isn't right. are griz fans going to your board and saying sucks to be you, we are #1? that isn't right.

But if you ask does coming from behind and winning close games knock you down in the polls, well from Montana's experience I would have to say yes - and apparently your coach thinks being ranked #1 in the polls is worth a championship, so i would think if the griz fall in the polls for winning close, then yeah the Bison should get knocked down for winning close also. maybe if your coach had said the polls don't really mean anything since there is a playoff system, then it wouldn't matter.

Our coach doesn't think being ranked #1 in the polls is worth a championship, those are your words and Coulson's. Coulson never asked Bohl what he thought.

I'll remember that next year when I vote. I have the Griz #2, and next year maybe I should move them down when they win close games or come from behind games.

slostang
November 10th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Question. If Cal Poly had hung on to win tonight and won again next weekend, would they have made it to the playoffs with an 8-3 record?

Nice thing about Cal Poly is that they return 10 starters on offense and 8 starters on defense next season. Unfortunatley all we have to look forward to is next year.

Congrats to the Bison. The showed the heart of a champion tonight.

Thunderstruck84
November 10th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Looks like these three took care of business against lesser foes. In my book that is always more impressive than a come from behind over a team you should beat.xthumbsupx
Don't sell Cal Poly short, this was their game of the year and they played with reckless abondon, NDSU played a far more dangerous team than any of the top 4.

Hansel
November 10th, 2007, 10:44 PM
What did he say exactly - please post a direct link, not just something posted by Coulson or some annoying Bison fan.

On national attention:
“We are craving national attention. The NCAA is not allowing us to play in the playoffs and we are going to do everything we can to keep on showing people around the country that in our division, we are the best in the country and we are going to take them one at a time.”

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1284933&SPID=695&SPSID=13856

Gil Dobie
November 10th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Question. If Cal Poly had hung on to win tonight and won again next weekend, would they have made it to the playoffs with an 8-3 record?

Nice thing about Cal Poly is that they return 10 starters on offense and 8 starters on defense next season. Unfortunatley all we have to look forward to is next year.

Congrats to the Bison. The showed the heart of a champion tonight.

I think Poly would have been in the playoffs, just IMO.

Great game, I thought Poly had us tonight, but with Walker there is always a chance to win.

FCS Go!
November 10th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Our coach doesn't think being ranked #1 in the polls is worth a championship, those are your words and Coulson's. Coulson never asked Bohl what he thought.

I'll remember that next year when I vote. I have the Griz #2, and next year maybe I should move them down when they win close games or come from behind games.

The point in this line of the discussion is that this happened this year to the Griz so why shouldn't it happen to the Bison. FWIW I don't think anyone is serious about dropping the Bison. Griz fans just like pointing out the trials we suffer through...:D

FCSFAN
November 10th, 2007, 11:02 PM
What did he say exactly - please post a direct link, not just something posted by Coulson or some annoying Bison fan.This has been posted around the web:
"the NCAA, in their wisdom, which quite frankly guys I do not understand when a team moves up that you're going to be ineligible for playoffs in the I-AA or Championship Division. I don't understand the logic of it because it's certainly not like you're going to get a big share of revenue from the basketball tournament or anything like that. ... If we can't be in the playoffs by gosh we can win the championship through a vote."

Hammerhead
November 10th, 2007, 11:03 PM
In general, polls don't mean anything. Can you really blame NDSU fans for claiming that our team is one of the best (if not the best) team in the FCS since we don't have the opportunity to participate in the playoffs?

...apparently your coach thinks being ranked #1 in the polls is worth a championship, so i would think if the griz fall in the polls for winning close, then yeah the Bison should get knocked down for winning close also. maybe if your coach had said the polls don't really mean anything since there is a playoff system, then it wouldn't matter.

FCSFAN
November 10th, 2007, 11:11 PM
This has been posted around the web:
"the NCAA, in their wisdom, which quite frankly guys I do not understand when a team moves up that you're going to be ineligible for playoffs in the I-AA or Championship Division. I don't understand the logic of it because it's certainly not like you're going to get a big share of revenue from the basketball tournament or anything like that. ... If we can't be in the playoffs by gosh we can win the championship through a vote."Found it. Apparently Bohl has FCS and FBS mixed a bit.
http://www.830wcco.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=1078125 on WCCO with Sid Hartman after the Minnesota win. "We were recognized through the vote and that's our avenue this year." Problem is championships aren't recognized through a vote in FCS.

jpuetz
November 10th, 2007, 11:39 PM
This thread is a bunch of crap. Two great teams played a great game. It's the best thing about FCS football;, Anygivensaturday one team can beat another. To win a conference game is always great. The Bison won't win the championship this year because they can't, but being ranked number 1 in the polls is a great goal for them because outside of winning the Great West Football Conference title, that's the best they can do. I've watched this bs all year on this site with all you so-called FCS fans bitching about why your team should be ranked ahead of some other team, when we all know that the reason we are on this board is because we believe that what makes FCS special is that you have to win it, you don't get voted into it.

JBB
November 11th, 2007, 12:29 AM
LOL. It was one of the greatest football games ever played. If anyone thinks less of The Cal Poly MUSTANGS because of this they need their head examined.

BisonBohl
November 11th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Drop us if you wish... but for us Bison fans, Poly fans and anyone else the enjoys great football saw a team dig down deep and pull of a remarkable comeback. So if you wish to drop them then go ahead, but we saw what our team was made of and we couldn't be happier.

JBB
November 11th, 2007, 12:39 AM
The point in this line of the discussion is that this happened this year to the Griz so why shouldn't it happen to the Bison. FWIW I don't think anyone is serious about dropping the Bison. Griz fans just like pointing out the trials we suffer through...:D

Point is the Griz were actually playing inferior competition. NDSU was not. The MUSTANGS are as good as they come.

It was a game for the ages, not for the Griz.

You guys would have an easier time of it if you came to Fargo.

SeattleGriz
November 11th, 2007, 01:06 AM
I think what a lot of people on here are missing is that many of the posters on this board don't vote in the poll. I for one don't have the time to do the research and would be a lame voter, so I don't participate in the poll.

The ones that do, take the role seriously and do the research. I doubt they would be swayed one way or another by what any of us non voters has to say.

Lastly, some of you guys need to: 1) lighten up and 2) learn to take what you were dishing out.

X-Factor
November 11th, 2007, 01:06 AM
check the uni score.

wow, all I can say is that you have got to be kidding me. What has the world come to pimping out Indiana State.

AZGrizFan
November 11th, 2007, 01:37 AM
I drop the Bison out of my top 10 after this debacle. xcoolx

Drblankstare
November 11th, 2007, 03:42 AM
so thats where UM is getting its first place votexlolx

ISUMatt
November 11th, 2007, 07:43 AM
NO WAY...NDSU still #2 in my poll

newsbreaker
November 11th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Everybody does that to Indiana State.

The difference is, UNI did it in less than a half.

Gil Dobie
November 11th, 2007, 08:25 AM
I drop the Bison out of my top 10 after this debacle. xcoolx

I'm dropping them to #17, just behind #16 Montana. xoopsx

Gil Dobie
November 11th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Lastly, some of you guys need to: 1) lighten up and 2) learn to take what you were dishing out.

and who was dishing it out.

Hansel
November 11th, 2007, 08:32 AM

Bison Envy... sad really xnonono2x xnonono2x

SeattleGriz
November 11th, 2007, 10:38 AM

Bison Envy... sad really xnonono2x xnonono2x

No envy here. As for dishing it out. You can read for yourself the posters who make outrageous claims without knowing much of the history of FCS.

I used to be one of those posters, although I kept my mouth shut. I used to wonder who in the hell Wofford and Furman were and why Georgia Southern deserved recognition beating teams I didn't know anything about - those type of posters.

Syntax Error
November 11th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Bison Envy... sad really xnonono2x xnonono2xI told you that the words "Bison Envy" were going to be emitted from NDSU fans. Here it is. And just like their big brothers Montana with their "Griz Envy," it's sad really.

JBB
November 11th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Steve Walker had 342 yds passing. That was the difference. Dally had around 180 yds. NDSU had just under 500 yds, a solid 100 yds and 3 points more than the Mustangs.

They run a wishbone. It is the best offense in all of the FCS at least going into last nights game. It is a clock eater but they didnt score a rushing TD. NDSU had 1. Walker won the battle of the QB, they had a great D line that was able to stay with what is one of NDSUs all time great O lines.

Unless our big plays dont count NDSU won that game by beating the Mustangs. They had no answer once we figured them out. We did it just in time too.

Great teams find a way to win and always play well in the second half. NDSU is a second half team. Its an old BISON tradition. In the end all their rushing yds meant nothing. It was Walker and the long bomb that won that game and the Mustangs couldnt stop it.

I still have NDSU #1.

Syntax Error
November 11th, 2007, 11:01 AM
It was Walker and the long bomb that won that game and the Mustangs couldnt stop it.It was the three catches for 195 yards by Schultenover and Heckendorf that won the game for NDSU. Walker (14 of 30 with 2 ints) nearly cost them the game IMO. Best win of the year for the Bison!

jmc_jackrabbit
November 11th, 2007, 11:03 AM
UNI is awfully good. SDSU fans saw that. They are the only team this year that beat us soundly.

NDSU proved last night that they can come from behind against a really good team and on the road. And NDSU has beaten two FBS teams.

NDSU is #1 by a nose. UNI has to be the favorite for the playoffs.

JBB
November 11th, 2007, 11:17 AM
It was the three catches for 195 yards by Schultenover and Heckendorf that won the game for NDSU. Walker (14 of 30 with 2 ints) nearly cost them the game IMO. Best win of the year for the Bison!

Dont forget 3 field goals by Bibeau, a 2 pt conversion by Gary Williams and a rushing TD for Tyler Roehl.

Your point is well taken Syntax Error. It was a team effort. Our defense held down the best offense in the subdivision just enough for the offense to win it for the Herd.

slostang
November 11th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Steve Walker had 342 yds passing. That was the difference. Dally had around 180 yds. NDSU had just under 500 yds, a solid 100 yds and 3 points more than the Mustangs.

They run a wishbone. It is the best offense in all of the FCS at least going into last nights game. It is a clock eater but they didnt score a rushing TD. NDSU had 1. Walker won the battle of the QB, they had a great D line that was able to stay with what is one of NDSUs all time great O lines.

Unless our big plays dont count NDSU won that game by beating the Mustangs. They had no answer once we figured them out. We did it just in time too.

Great teams find a way to win and always play well in the second half. NDSU is a second half team. Its an old BISON tradition. In the end all their rushing yds meant nothing. It was Walker and the long bomb that won that game and the Mustangs couldnt stop it.

I still have NDSU #1.

Steve Walker is a stud and has ice running through his viens. He was solid when it counted the most.

That being said I think the QB battle was closer than you make it out. Dally threw for 181 yards and three touchdowns, but he also ran for 122 yards. That is a total of 303 yards and 3 touchdowns. Walker was minus 2 yards rushing. Walkers finished with 340 yards and 2 touchdowns.

The great thing for the Mustangs is that they return 10 offensive starters next year. The only senior starter on the offense is gaurd Daniel Bradley. Dally will still have Ramses Barden and Tredale Tolver to throw to and James Noble, Ryan Mole and Jon Hall to hand the ball to. The defense returns 8 starters. Next year looks promising.

AZGrizFan
November 11th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I'm dropping them to #17, just behind #16 Montana. xoopsx

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xcoolx

Hansel
November 11th, 2007, 12:14 PM
No envy here. As for dishing it out. You can read for yourself the posters who make outrageous claims without knowing much of the history of FCS.

I used to be one of those posters, although I kept my mouth shut. I used to wonder who in the hell Wofford and Furman were and why Georgia Southern deserved recognition beating teams I didn't know anything about - those type of posters.

http://www.hpm2racing.com/jpg%20Pictures/Griz%20Sunset.jpg

feel better :)

Col Hogan
November 11th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Strange thread...a simple question that some folks really took in strange directions...

Answer to the basic question is NO...

I've had them #2 behind UNI for a while...and that's where they will stay...

The mark of a good team is on those rare occasions that they don't play up to their highest level, they still find a way to win...NDSU found a way against a determined team yesterday and should not drop in a poll...IMHO...

Stubbins
November 11th, 2007, 12:23 PM
A come-from-behind win on the road against a team that was in contention for a playoff spot isn't too bad.

Montana dropped after a close game to a EWU team that will make the playoffs and will do some damage.xeyebrowx

SeattleGriz
November 11th, 2007, 12:47 PM
feel better :)

Much.

FargoBison
November 11th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Montana dropped after a close game to a EWU team that will make the playoffs and will do some damage.xeyebrowx

Not in my poll, they were ranked #5 and stayed there.

Hansel
November 11th, 2007, 01:11 PM

NDSU was @ Cal Poly
Montana had EWU @ home

Montana dropped to 2 in the Coaches Poll, but Stayed 1 in the Media Poll

JALMOND
November 11th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Point is the Griz were actually playing inferior competition. NDSU was not. The MUSTANGS are as good as they come.

It was a game for the ages, not for the Griz.

You guys would have an easier time of it if you came to Fargo.

Point is the Griz has not been playing inferior competition. The Big Sky is not inferior competition. For the Griz (or anyone in the conference) to go undefeated (not there yet, still has to play MSU on the road) is a remarkable feat, but never can a Big Sky conference game be classified as "inferior".

I've been voting Montana #1 in the poll, except for a few weeks after App State beat Michigan. Case in point, whereas some other teams might deserve to be considered for #1 based on how they played, Montana has not done anything to LOSE the #1 (still undefeated, still winning in a very tough conference). I've also been one of a few posters who thought Cal Poly was good enough to be ranked all year, hence NDSU has looked remarkable all year. The Big Sky and Great West are pretty similar this year, with two front runners (Montana and NDSU), two others worth mentioning (Eastern Washington and Cal Poly), and the rest. To call the Big Sky "inferior", well, in that case, one could call the Great West "inferior" and how would NDSU look then. Just like Montana.

sharkeycox
November 11th, 2007, 03:29 PM
thoughts???

No way.xcoffeex

smallcollegefbfan
November 11th, 2007, 04:05 PM
NDSU shouldn't drop at all. Montana didn't play well enough to move ahead of them and playing close to a good team shouldn't penalize you.

GrizzlyEdd
November 11th, 2007, 04:36 PM
FOR 5 YEARS!....i know it would devastate Montana. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Nice... why would Montana's name come up in this.... and you wonder why some Montana fans get defensive... hmmmmmmmxmadx

RabidRabbit
November 11th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Point is the Griz has not been playing inferior competition. The Big Sky is not inferior competition. For the Griz (or anyone in the conference) to go undefeated (not there yet, still has to play MSU on the road) is a remarkable feat, but never can a Big Sky conference game be classified as "inferior".

I've been voting Montana #1 in the poll, except for a few weeks after App State beat Michigan. Case in point, whereas some other teams might deserve to be considered for #1 based on how they played, Montana has not done anything to LOSE the #1 (still undefeated, still winning in a very tough conference). I've also been one of a few posters who thought Cal Poly was good enough to be ranked all year, hence NDSU has looked remarkable all year. The Big Sky and Great West are pretty similar this year, with two front runners (Montana and NDSU), two others worth mentioning (Eastern Washington and Cal Poly), and the rest. To call the Big Sky "inferior", well, in that case, one could call the Great West "inferior" and how would NDSU look then. Just like Montana.

Let me note that SDSU is also 3-0 in the GREAT WEST, like NDSU, and, if Jacks beat Bison IN BROOKINGS will win the Great West, and would also be eligible for play-offs with 7 D-I wins, if we weren't in the same situation as our Bovine brethren to the north. xnodx xnodx xnodx

SeattleGriz
November 11th, 2007, 05:49 PM
NDSU shouldn't drop at all. Montana didn't play well enough to move ahead of them and playing close to a good team shouldn't penalize you.

Honestly, the best answer so far.

uofmman1122
November 11th, 2007, 05:56 PM
NDSU shouldn't drop at all. Montana didn't play well enough to move ahead of them and playing close to a good team shouldn't penalize you.Exactly. Had Montana or McNeese St. blown out their opponents, instead of just simply winning their respective games, the Bison might have taken a tumble to #3, but, since those teams are the only ones in a position to take the #2 spot with a win, the Bison stay at #2. They may lose a few #1 votes in different polls, but they should end up #2.

Thunderstruck84
November 12th, 2007, 10:26 AM
This was different circumstances than the Montana-EWU game, that game was in Missoula and the Griz were outgained by a 2 to 1 margin (565-289). Consequently, the Bison outgained Cal Poly 477-377 and orchestrated the comeback in a hostile road environment. There is also a marked difference between playing a team that has playoff aspirations early in the season and playing a team fighting for it's playoff life late in the season.

JBB
November 12th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Im with you Thuderstruck. It was an impressive win against a good team.

They had the best offense in the FCS going into the game. Thier defense is good too. If they have had a problem at all this year it is inconsistancy. They have also had a problem with the close game.

They showed on Saturday just how good they are. The BISON were a bit better though, outplayed them in the end and won.

The Mustangs could give anybody a good run for their money.

I say Move The BISON Up!

NDSUFREAK
November 12th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Nice... why would Montana's name come up in this.... and you wonder why some Montana fans get defensive... hmmmmmmmxmadx

Come up in this thread? Oh, because it is one of the main talking points. MONTANA as been in this thread since the beginning.

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Come up in this thread? Oh, because it is one of the main talking points. MONTANA as been in this thread since the beginning.

Montana and any western team has a better chance of dropping, because the balance of schools, media, media coverage and voters are eastern based. xeyebrowx

FormerPokeCenter
November 12th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Here are the Bohl quotes I could find....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2007-10-16-north-dakota-state_N.htm

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9903E4D9153BF931A15753C1A9619C8B 63

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2007/10/22/news/sports/local/141340.txt

When you combine the content of those three, it's not hard to see where he's going with his line of reasoning...

He's wrong, though. To proclaim yourself the best in the country, you have to survive they playoffs unscathed.

If you're not playoff eligible, it's all just mental masturbation...

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2007, 11:41 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2007-10-16-north-dakota-state_N.htm

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9903E4D9153BF931A15753C1A9619C8B 63

When you combine the content of those three, it's not hard to see where he's going with his line of reasoning...

He's wrong, though. To proclaim yourself the best in the country, you have to survive they playoffs unscathed.

What's wrong with the goal of being #1 in the final regular season poll?
Trying to show people that you are the best in your division?
Still haven't seen anything about claiming a mythical national championship. The Bison stiving to be the best, doesn't have anything to do with claiming to be #1 after the playoffs.

JohnStOnge
November 12th, 2007, 11:50 AM

Plus, I think that if you're objective about it and have to pick, you'd have to say Northern Iowa's been a little more impressive this year than North Dakota State has. Not by much, but a little.

The question is whether or not NDSU should drop in the polls. It's kind of a trick question in a way. I don't think they should drop in the polls that have them ranked #2. But they shouldn't, in my opinion, have been ranked #1 in the Coaches' poll going into this weekend to begin with.

They're going to go through their schedule without having played any teams that are going to make the FCS playoffs. They struggled with Stephen F. Austin. If you look at the one common opponent so far (after this week, they'll have three), Northern Iowa beat Western Illinois worse (41 -3 vs. 41-28).

It doesn't mean Northern Iowa would beat NDSU if the two played. But if you're going on what they've done so far, for the life of me, I can't see how the people who vote in the coaches voted like they did. Only thing I can guess is that they put an awful lot of eggs in the Central Michigan basket because, when it comes to BCS league teams, Northern Iowa beat a better BCS league team than NDSU did by a bigger margin.

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2007, 12:00 PM
They're going to go through their schedule without having played any teams that are going to make the FCS playoffs. They struggled with Stephen F. Austin. If you look at the one common opponent so far (after this week, they'll have three), Northern Iowa beat Western Illinois worse (41 -3 vs. 41-28).

It doesn't mean Northern Iowa would beat NDSU if the two played. But if you're going on what they've done so far, for the life of me, I can't see how the people who vote in the coaches voted like they did. Only thing I can guess is that they put an awful lot of eggs in the Central Michigan basket because, when it comes to BCS league teams, Northern Iowa beat a better BCS league team than NDSU did by a bigger margin.

UNI and NDSU have 4 common opponents this year.
Illinois St, WIU, SDSU and SUU.

I still think CMU was a better FCS win based performance against common opponents. The only real way to tell is if UNI and NDSU would have played this year. Repeat, the #1 team at the end of the season is the playoff champion.

UNI 24 - Iowa St 13
Toledo 36 - Iowa St 35
CMU 52 - Toledo 31
NDSU 44 - CMU 14

FargoBison

I completely disagree, I think they are about even but NDSU's throttling of CMU gives them an edge. That 44-14 pounding of Central Michigan was the 2nd best win a FCS team has had all year. Honestly, I'd like to see UNI do the same. CMU is a much better team then either Iowa State or Minnesota. Also NDSU didn't really struggle with SFA, I know the game was close but if you watched the game you would have a different veiwpoint.

Hammerhead
Yes, the Bison did stuggle against SFA, but we also did not play the first week of the season (one of the joys of having a 5-team conference) which is a big disadvantage in my book.

I guess there are some Griz fans who think NDSU should be ignored since we aren't eligible for the playoffs and others who can't help but be glad UNC was added to the Big sky instead of the xDSUs.

Pauly LB
November 12th, 2007, 12:03 PM
I dropped them from #1 in my poll to #3. Honestly they should have lost the game as they were outplayed (but not outcoached) by a very enthusiastic Cal Poly team.

FargoBison
November 12th, 2007, 12:04 PM
I dropped them from #1 in my poll to #3. Honestly they should have lost the game as they were outplayed (but not outcoached) by a very enthusiastic Cal Poly team.

You dropped them below which teams?

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2007, 12:07 PM

I wouldn't take that much away from Cal Poly, they are good team.
Poly played not to lose, that's what cost them the game.

FormerPokeCenter
November 12th, 2007, 01:29 PM
What's wrong with the goal of being #1 in the final regular season poll?
Trying to show people that you are the best in your division?
Still haven't seen anything about claiming a mythical national championship. The Bison stiving to be the best, doesn't have anything to do with claiming to be #1 after the playoffs.

That's not what he said. He never qualified it by saying "the best in the final regular season poll," he said "best in the nation."

In this division, the right to call yourself the best in the nation is decided on the field. To even suggest that it can be done in any other manner shows a complete and total disregard for the division.

There are NO shortcuts to greatness in this division.

If you want to be the balloted champion, move to the BCS.

Pauly LB
November 12th, 2007, 01:37 PM
You dropped them below which teams?

Northern Iowa and McNeese State

JBB
November 12th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Coach Bohl Interview (http://www.830wcco.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=1078125) after the Gopher win.

Coach Bohl says

“If we cant be in the playoffs by God our players can win a championship in the polls”

Good interview worth listening to.

Also, check your programs. You will see that The NDSU Sports Information Director has our ranking listed under finish in the polls and under playoff finish has the ranking listed with an asterisk *

*Not eligible for playoffs

If we finish #1 we are going to claim a title with the *.

Obviously there are a lot of people looking for an excuse not to rank them #1 if they think a good game and a win against Cal Poly isnt worth anything. It means a heck of a lot more than 7 TDs against Indiana State. Besides NDSU is undefeated in Gateway play this year, undefeated in 2 FBS games and undefeated on the season.

After Saturdays win NDSU should be #1 in both polls.

There is one week left and we are at Brookings. Its going to be a great game against the Jacks for the GWFC championship and the Boarder Marker.

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2007, 04:39 PM
That's not what he said. He never qualified it by saying "the best in the final regular season poll," he said "best in the nation."

In this division, the right to call yourself the best in the nation is decided on the field. To even suggest that it can be done in any other manner shows a complete and total disregard for the division.

There are NO shortcuts to greatness in this division.

If you want to be the balloted champion, move to the BCS.

Here's the quote from your link
But coach Craig Bohl has his team on course for a title of another sort. Despite not being a full member, the unbeaten Bison are No. 1 in the coaches' poll. Their goal: Finish 11-0 and No. 1 for the regular season.

FargoBison
November 12th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Northern Iowa and McNeese State

I know its your opinion but I have hard to understanding how McNeese could jump NDSU after beating a 3-7 team by 6. NDSU's body of work has also been more impressive. I have no beef with your decision regarding UNI but I just don't agree with McNeese, especially considering how the GWFC has dominated the Southland.

FormerPokeCenter
November 12th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Gil Dobie writes: << Here's the quote from your link
But coach Craig Bohl has his team on course for a title of another sort. Despite not being a full member, the unbeaten Bison are No. 1 in the coaches' poll. Their goal: Finish 11-0 and No. 1 for the regular season.>>

Uh, no....here's what I was referring to...

"We are craving national attention," Bohl said. "The NCAA isn't allowing us to play in the playoffs. We are going to do everything we can to continue to show people around the country that, in our division, we are the best in the country."

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, Craig, but the Best in the Country is decided on the field and the NCAA isn't "not allowing" you to participate in the playoffs, you agreed to that stipulation before you initiated the process to move up.

Either work within the rules, or move to the FBS if you want to be the balloted paper champion.

JohnStOnge
November 12th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I completely disagree, I think they are about even but NDSU's throttling of CMU gives them an edge. That 44-14 pounding of Central Michigan was the 2nd best win a FCS team has had all year. Honestly, I'd like to see UNI do the same. CMU is a much better team then either Iowa State or Minnesota. Also NDSU didn't really struggle with SFA, I know the game was close but if you watched the game you would have a different veiwpoint.

The bottom line is that the overwhelming majority of power rating systems that objectively consider how strong the teams were that each team played have UNI rated higher. Right now it's at 22 out of 24 (http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm ).

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2007, 08:32 PM
But coach Craig Bohl has his team on course for a title of another sort. Despite not being a full member, the unbeaten Bison are No. 1 in the coaches' poll. Their goal: Finish 11-0 and No. 1 for the regular season.>>

"We are craving national attention," Bohl said. "The NCAA isn't allowing us to play in the playoffs. We are going to do everything we can to continue to show people around the country that, in our division, we are the best in the country."

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, Craig, but the Best in the Country is decided on the field and the NCAA isn't "not allowing" you to participate in the playoffs, you agreed to that stipulation before you initiated the process to move up.

Either work within the rules, or move to the FBS if you want to be the balloted paper champion.

I don't see any mythical national championship or after the playoffs, implied in that statement. Must be something written between the lines that I don't see. xeyebrowx

JohnStOnge
November 12th, 2007, 08:34 PM

The proper thing for him to say would've been that he wishes they had the opportunity to find out if they're the best in FCS. To talk about proving they're the best when they have not and will not play a single team that's going to be in the playoffs and escaped by the skin of their teeth against Sam Houston and Cal Poly is over the top. I hate to break this to him, but teams like Appalachian State, Northern Iowa, and UMass (among others) are a whole lot better this year than Sam Houston State and Cal Poly are. In fact, most of the teams that are going to be in the playoff field are.

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2007, 08:35 PM
The bottom line is that the overwhelming majority of power rating systems that objectively consider how strong the teams were that each team played have UNI rated higher. Right now it's at 22 out of 24 (http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm ).

I think the overall point is that CMU is a better win than Iowa St. Doesn't prove who's best, just might apply some validity to CMU being a better win.

#64 CMU
#85 Iowa St

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2007, 08:37 PM
The proper thing for him to say would've been that he wishes they had the opportunity to find out if they're the best in FCS. To talk about proving they're the best when they have not and will not play a single team that's going to be in the playoffs and escaped by the skin of their teeth against Sam Houston and Cal Poly is over the top. I hate to break this to him, but teams like Appalachian State, Northern Iowa, and UMass (among others) are a whole lot better this year than Sam Houston State and Cal Poly are. In fact, most of the teams that are going to be in the playoff field are.

I still must be missing something. I'd be concerned if he didn't think his team was the best each week. Still no reference to a National Championship, just a goal to be the best.

JohnStOnge
November 12th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I don't see any mythical national championship or after the playoffs, implied in that statement. Must be something written between the lines that I don't see. xeyebrowx

He shouldn't even be talking about an effort to "show" that NDSU is the best in the country in FCS. It's not possible given the circumstances. His team isn't going to play any of the other top teams in the subdivision.

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2007, 08:44 PM
He shouldn't even be talking about an effort to "show" that NDSU is the best in the country in FCS. It's not possible given the circumstances. His team isn't going to play any of the other top teams in the subdivision.

I guess we'll have to disagree. I don't see any problem in a coach saying his team is the best prior to the playoffs.

igo4uni
November 12th, 2007, 09:00 PM
The team that wins 4 playoff games is the undisputed national champion.

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2007, 09:03 PM
The team that wins 4 playoff games is the undisputed national champion.

And nobody is disputing that xthumbsupx

FormerPokeCenter
November 12th, 2007, 10:11 PM
So then we can count on your to help squelch the "NDSU is the best in the country" talk after the playoffs?

FargoBison
November 12th, 2007, 10:19 PM
So then we can count on your to help squelch the "NDSU is the best in the country" talk after the playoffs?

NDSU was 10-1 last year, had a loss to only a FBS bowl team by 1 point and there was virtually no such talk by Bison fans. This year, I have seen few fans make such claims and I doubt few will. A lot of people are taking comments made by our coach way too far, people just need to calm down before thinking we would ever proclaim ourselves national champs.

Gil Dobie
November 13th, 2007, 07:26 AM

xnodx xnodx xnodx
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Pauly LB
November 13th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I know its your opinion but I have hard to understanding how McNeese could jump NDSU after beating a 3-7 team by 6. NDSU's body of work has also been more impressive. I have no beef with your decision regarding UNI but I just don't agree with McNeese, especially considering how the GWFC has dominated the Southland.

I do see your point -- it is a shame that NDSU will not have the opportunity to show what they can do in the playoffs. Best of luck this weekend in Brookings. You do deserve to win the Great West and there is no doubt in my mind that Coach Bohl should be the Coach of the Year.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2007, 11:10 AM
I do see your point -- it is a shame that NDSU will not have the opportunity to show what they can do in the playoffs. Best of luck this weekend in Brookings. You do deserve to win the Great West and there is no doubt in my mind that Coach Bohl should be the Coach of the Year.

It is a shame that nobody from the Great West has been able to represent in the playoffs for the past two years but I think that will change next year, you guys should have a great team.

It would be cool to see Bohl take home the award, hard to believe NDSU was 2-8 five years ago when he took over the job. Even though I don't think you'll need it I wish you guys the best of luck against Iona.

MR. CHICKEN
November 13th, 2007, 05:10 PM
YA CAIN'T DROP TEAMS FO' NOT WINNIN'..BAH LARGE AMOUNTS....OTHERAH-WISE.........WE GET INTA RUNNIN' UP DUH SCORES............COMIN' FROM BEHIND....ON DUH ROAD....IN HOSTILE TERRITORY....AGIN' UH CAL-PIE SQWAD...DAT WAS FIGHTIN' FO' DERE PLAY-OFF LIVES....IS UH SIGN O' UH GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM.......NDSU...IS CERTAINLY DAT!...........OH BRUTTER...:(.........BRAWK!