PDA

View Full Version : Wofford would like to thank our in-state friends Furman and The Citadel!

woffordgrad94
November 10th, 2007, 06:33 PM
You guys really came through for us! Furman, we love you! You will be our friend forever (or at least until next season)! Who would have ever thought the Paladins would take out Elon and GSU in consecutive weeks? And thanks also go out to The Citadel for taking care of Elon. The Phoenix are now most likely out of the playoff picture (they have 4 losses, I believe), and my Terriers now have the auto-bid from the SoCon. Wow, what a difference a week makes! A week ago, I was breaking clock radios and crying in my beer, all while suffering with a hurt foot. Now, I feel just freakin' GREAT! I feel like the Terriers might actually have a chance for a first-round home playoff game now. The other SoCon teams in should be Appalachian State and maybe Georgia Southern. Colorado State is not a good team- I could see GSU beating them with a lot on the line. I'll bet those Mountaineers are glad we are in, I know they are just ITCHING to play us again! ;) Myself, I wouldn't mind seeing GSU again.

The Moody1
November 10th, 2007, 07:01 PM
I am glad we won't have to hear Ayers and co whine this year. Congrats.

walliver
November 10th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I hate having to be grateful to the two teams I hate the most.

But, I will swallow my pride and give my thanks to the Paladins and Bulldogs.

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Let's hear it for the Palmetto State SoCon teams!

Thanks guys!

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2007, 07:54 PM
ok moody1, don't be so moodyxlolx

Millwoch
November 10th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Well I doubt the bulldogs put much thought to it today, but congrats. I hope you guys get a home game in a couple weeks, as Sparkle City is only 1.5 hours from me and would like to root you on(my brother is a T-dog).

BULLDOG8180
November 10th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Well I doubt the bulldogs put much thought to it today, but congrats. I hope you guys get a home game in a couple weeks, as Sparkle City is only 1.5 hours from me and would like to root you on(my brother is a T-dog).

I have a lot of friends that do it the Wofford way. Good luck in the playoffs!.

GreatAppSt
November 10th, 2007, 10:53 PM
xbeerchugx I agree xbeerchugx thanks

Eyes of Old Main
November 11th, 2007, 02:58 AM

I'm glad we've been having to listen to you guys whining since we beat you in September.

gophoenix
November 11th, 2007, 06:48 AM
You guys really came through for us! Furman, we love you! You will be our friend forever (or at least until next season)! Who would have ever thought the Paladins would take out Elon and GSU in consecutive weeks? And thanks also go out to The Citadel for taking care of Elon. The Phoenix are now most likely out of the playoff picture (they have 4 losses, I believe), and my Terriers now have the auto-bid from the SoCon. Wow, what a difference a week makes! A week ago, I was breaking clock radios and crying in my beer, all while suffering with a hurt foot. Now, I feel just freakin' GREAT! I feel like the Terriers might actually have a chance for a first-round home playoff game now. The other SoCon teams in should be Appalachian State and maybe Georgia Southern. Colorado State is not a good team- I could see GSU beating them with a lot on the line. I'll bet those Mountaineers are glad we are in, I know they are just ITCHING to play us again! ;) Myself, I wouldn't mind seeing GSU again.

A week ago it was the pity party with you, now this.

Congrats.

OL FU
November 11th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Congratulations to Wofford on the AQxthumbsupx

CID1990
November 11th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Did you really think Elon had any chance of beating us in General Johnson Hagood, CSA Stadium? I said that game was in the bag for us last week.

T-Dogg
November 11th, 2007, 08:34 AM
CID1990, indeed you did predict the win in Hagood! However, with that solid QB missing I kind of thought it would be tough to get a win vs. the air wizards!

That being said, you reload well! That back up QB is awesome.........hate to see him next year...................

Biff
November 11th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Congrats to Wofford. Looking forward to whipping you guys next year.

CID1990
November 11th, 2007, 09:24 AM
CID1990, indeed you did predict the win in Hagood! However, with that solid QB missing I kind of thought it would be tough to get a win vs. the air wizards!

That being said, you reload well! That back up QB is awesome.........hate to see him next year...................

We saw some really positive things out of him against GSU and Appy. I figured he would break out against Elon. For the first time in years, I'm not worried about how we will reload on offense.

We are losing some great defensive players, so I hope we concentrate on that in the off season.

terrierbob
November 11th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Did you really think Elon had any chance of beating us in General Johnson Hagood, CSA Stadium? I said that game was in the bag for us last week.

Did you have any different/unusual pass coverage? Was Riddle on or off?

Death Dealer
November 11th, 2007, 09:32 AM
We didn't do it for you. It was all about us the last two weeks. But we'll graciously accept your gratitude, and I personally will be pulling for you guys the rest of the way. Hope you get a home game so I cam mosey on over to Sparkle City to watch you guys win one. xnodx

But after that, the love affair is over. Next season you better watch your @$$es. We are gonna come to town looking for some payback! xnodx xlolx

Biff
November 11th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Here's a quote from the local paper on Riddle ...

"Riddle was 30 of 53 for 381 yards and three scores, but The Citadel's blitzing defense forced him into two crucial errors, a fumble and interception in the first half"

gophoenix
November 11th, 2007, 01:16 PM

Enjoy it, it will be the last time it happens for a long time. Considering the wasteland of a defense that we put up, you guys really didn't do anything all that special. And considering to took our screwups, no your defense, to win the game for you.

Every team in the conference is struggling with a team playing mostly freshman and sophs at every position.

I want to say something nice about The Citadel. I had some good conversations with older fans during the game. The cadets working were really nice. But after the general treatment your cadets give anyone, the racial slurs, ethnic slurs, yelling at families, cursing around children, damaging equipment and having to have the cops called in twice because of the cadets. I've lost a ton of respect for that school down there. I once thought GSU had the most classless fans. No, it is The Citadel by a landslide.

CID1990
November 11th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Riddle was on, but he is a freshman, so if you hit him in the teeth he will make mistakes. That's what we did.

CID1990
November 11th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Enjoy it, it will be the last time it happens for a long time. Considering the wasteland of a defense that we put up, you guys really didn't do anything all that special. And considering to took our screwups, no your defense, to win the game for you.

Every team in the conference is struggling with a team playing mostly freshman and sophs at every position.

I want to say something nice about The Citadel. I had some good conversations with older fans during the game. The cadets working were really nice. But after the general treatment your cadets give anyone, the racial slurs, ethnic slurs, yelling at families, cursing around children, damaging equipment and having to have the cops called in twice because of the cadets. I've lost a ton of respect for that school down there. I once thought GSU had the most classless fans. No, it is The Citadel by a landslide.

Actually, shutting you guys down in the 4th quarter along with some stops in the red zone is pretty special considering what Riddle is capable of. Higgins out-game planned Lembo on Saturday; there's no reason to expect he can't do it again. Also, The Citadel is similar to Elon in that we will be returning a lot of starters next year, so hopefully your team will have the same overconfidence that you do. Seems like they had a little of it this past Saturday, for that matter.

As for the conduct you encountered, well, I didn't see it. When cadets behave that way they get hammered if someone catches them. I DID see one of your receivers taunt the Corps after a touchdown, and they returned the favor over the following quarters. You might have seen some exuberant behavior that went to far, who knows? I do think I detect the odor of sour grapes, though. Enjoy your trip back to Burlington.

gophoenix
November 11th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Actually, shutting you guys down in the 4th quarter along with some stops in the red zone is pretty special considering what Riddle is capable of. Higgins out-game planned Lembo on Saturday; there's no reason to expect he can't do it again. Also, The Citadel is similar to Elon in that we will be returning a lot of starters next year, so hopefully your team will have the same overconfidence that you do. Seems like they had a little of it this past Saturday, for that matter.

As for the conduct you encountered, well, I didn't see it. When cadets behave that way they get hammered if someone catches them. I DID see one of your receivers taunt the Corps after a touchdown, and they returned the favor over the following quarters. You might have seen some exuberant behavior that went to far, who knows? I do think I detect the odor of sour grapes, though. Enjoy your trip back to Burlington.

No no, don't get me wrong. Taunting the players is one thing, heckling the players is one thing. That's no big deal.

I am talking about the crap directed at the fans. That should stop. End of story. There are kids at these games.

No sour grapes. We lost to the better team today with a better game plan. I'll say that all day long. You capitalized on ever one of our mistakes. And we made a ton of them. And it won't happen again. I am not overconfident, I am just stating the facts.

But I will say, the fact that your cadets are allowed to go ON THE FIELD during a game in the away team's area to do push ups is completely bush league and shouldn't be allowed.

Classless. I used to have a lot of respect for your school. Not after today. It is all gone. After seeing that stuff today, I now see why there are so many fights in downtown Charleston involving cadets. Maybe you guys should learn to win with class. After that crap today, I can tell it's been a long time since you've won anything notable.

If it was all sour grapes then I would have nothing good to say. But I did say good things. I just can't believe crap like that is allowed out of a school that supposedl teaches discipline.

What I will say. Those canons are freaking awesome. AWESOME. I can't get over just how awesome they are. That is a total bad a$$ touch to the game that I absolutely loved and I'm completely jealous of them. The sound and the fact that they shake the whole stadium...... AWESOME.

Eaglesrus
November 11th, 2007, 05:48 PM
No no, don't get me wrong. Taunting the players is one thing, heckling the players is one thing. That's no big deal.

I am talking about the crap directed at the fans. That should stop. End of story. There are kids at these games.

No sour grapes. We lost to the better team today with a better game plan. I'll say that all day long. You capitalized on ever one of our mistakes. And we made a ton of them. And it won't happen again. I am not overconfident, I am just stating the facts.

But I will say, the fact that your cadets are allowed to go ON THE FIELD during a game in the away team's area to do push ups is completely bush league and shouldn't be allowed.

Classless. I used to have a lot of respect for your school. Not after today. It is all gone. After seeing that stuff today, I now see why there are so many fights in downtown Charleston involving cadets. Maybe you guys should learn to win with class. After that crap today, I can tell it's been a long time since you've won anything notable.

If it was all sour grapes then I would have nothing good to say. But I did say good things. I just can't believe crap like that is allowed out of a school that supposedl teaches discipline.

What I will say. Those canons are freaking awesome. AWESOME. I can't get over just how awesome they are. That is a total bad a$$ touch to the game that I absolutely loved and I'm completely jealous of them. The sound and the fact that they shake the whole stadium...... AWESOME.

Having seats pretty close to the Cadet Corp last year I agree with your comments about their conduct. I just have to think that CID1990 hasn't sat close to them lately. My friends could tell you that I said several times this year that The Citadel was the team I most wanted us to beat, and that is the reason.

CID1990
November 11th, 2007, 06:56 PM
They ARE raucous. Most student sections are. I'm not sure why we moved them over to the visitor's side, but it was for one of two reasons.... to unnerve the visitor's bench, or to open up home side seating for ticket holders. I imagine it was the former, because there is usually no shortage of seating.

That being said, I'm sorry you had a poor experience with the cadets. Being in law enforcement in Charleston, however, I can tell you that we have very very few problems with cadets brawling, and if we do, it is very easily dealt with. Much easier than dealing with CofC baseball and basketball players, that's for sure. I know it isn't widespread, because it would come to the attention of the President and other grads and there would be a bunch of guys stomping the quad to the tune of 60-120. The vast majority of grads and cadets won't tolerate vulgar behavior at games.

Next time you come to Charleston, you'll have to look me up and I'll show you a hellacious tailgate and introduce you to the cadets that join us afterwards for leftovers.

asufan87
November 11th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I'm glad we've been having to listen to you guys whining since we beat you in September.

Here's hoping to a rematch at the ROCK in temps about 70 degrees cooler than that blistering Sept day! xnodx

gophoenix
November 11th, 2007, 07:01 PM
They ARE raucous. Most student sections are. I'm not sure why we moved them over to the visitor's side, but it was for one of two reasons.... to unnerve the visitor's bench, or to open up home side seating for ticket holders. I imagine it was the former, because there is usually no shortage of seating.

That being said, I'm sorry you had a poor experience with the cadets. Being in law enforcement in Charleston, however, I can tell you that we have very very few problems with cadets brawling, and if we do, it is very easily dealt with. Much easier than dealing with CofC baseball and basketball players, that's for sure. I know it isn't widespread, because it would come to the attention of the President and other grads and there would be a bunch of guys stomping the quad to the tune of 60-120. The vast majority of grads and cadets won't tolerate vulgar behavior at games.

Next time you come to Charleston, you'll have to look me up and I'll show you a hellacious tailgate and introduce you to the cadets that join us afterwards for leftovers.

Like I said, the alumni were great. Like I said, unnerving the bench I have no problem with. But leave the comments and insoults to the fans and their families out of it.

There were enough people doing it that the cops were called over multiple times. So if that isn't enough to bring it to the attention of your president or not, I don't know. No one did anything about it. That speaks to a university that supports that, or speaks to a lack of discipline. End of story.

As for tailgating. In two years, let me know. And next year, you're welcome to come by our area and chill out with us.

Millwoch
November 11th, 2007, 07:05 PM

Lots of pressure on Riddle, especially early....they tried to throw a lot of Shuffle passes to counter our aggresion that the tailback or slot back droped on multiple occasions. Turnovers really hurt them as well. Elon is still not there yet, they need a run game to support that passing attack and watch out. I think Riddle will be a great SOCON QB as he makes good decision from what I saw...

But I have to say that Blanchard put on a show himself and had no turnovers and was 15/22 on 3rd down. He even ran the ball for 50+ yards. The Charleston paper said they are uping Blanchard to full scholly(I bet his parents are thrilled with that)He is going to be a real steal for us, as he was being recruited by the big FBS team before missing his senior season with a knee injury in HS.

gophoenix
November 11th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Lots of pressure on Riddle, especially early....they tried to throw a lot of Shuffle passes to counter our aggresion that the tailback or slot back droped on multiple occasions. Turnovers really hurt them as well. Elon is still not there yet, they need a run game to support that passing attack and watch out.

I think Blanchard/Roberts and Riddle/Hudgins are going to be two of the best QB/WR combos in all of I-AA next year.

I am not sure where people expected us to be. Everyone predicted us last in the SoCon. Two seasons ago we were one of THE worst scholarship programs. And now, we are a team starting mostly freshmen and sophs with 11 injured players on defense.

Millwoch
November 11th, 2007, 07:30 PM

Gee Phoenix...sorry you had such a bad day. I can tell you that the corps will police itself. I am not sure what equipment they were destroying over there. I don't think that stadium is going anywhere fast(its been enduring that cannon fire for 50 years now.) I also have not seen many problems with Cadets fighting on or off campus. Not sure where you get that from, but I know that those guys are just glad to get the hell of campus for a few hours. It has been my experience that most of the cadets could care less about the game, it is unfortunate, but those who do not care are usually sitting on their buts waiting the the final second to tick off so they can go out.

I had a similar experience last year with the 2 older(closer to my dad's age than college age) Elon fans(not sure if they were grads or not) Just talked s$!t about The Citadel football till we got a 3 touchdown lead and then they just left. Don't get me wrong they were not racial slurs or anything like that but they were yelling them loud enough for us to hear them. Those things happen I guess...winning tends to erase those memories...otherwise the trip to Burlington was fantastic. What a beatiful campus and stadium. I hope to be there next year again. I have not really had many issues with fans or students at any socon games. Now when we go to some of the FBS schools, their students will get right up in your face. Wisconsin students were really ugly to us...and we almost beat them...I guess they were too stupid to understand what the meant....only exception to that rule was at Texas A&M..they were the most welcoming, gracious fans I have ever seen.

74AppState
November 11th, 2007, 07:33 PM
from an ASU fan who attended the ASU-El Cid game. I thought the El Cid folks were great. Several comments on the ASU message board to that effect.

AppMan
November 11th, 2007, 07:41 PM

Once upon a time therte was a SoCon rule banning students from sitting behind the visiting team's bench. GSU has pretty much ignored it from the time they came in the league and now The Citadel has followed suit. At one point ASU considered making the East Stands in KBS all students, but because of the rule we didn't follow through. Perhaps we need to revisit that idea.

AppMan
November 11th, 2007, 07:43 PM

You guys better keep winning because we sure are looking forward to a rematch.

Millwoch
November 11th, 2007, 07:50 PM
You guys better keep winning because we sure are looking forward to a rematch.

Hopefully in Chattanooga right?....lol

gophoenix
November 11th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Gee Phoenix...sorry you had such a bad day. I can tell you that the corps will police itself. I am not sure what equipment they were destroying over there. I don't think that stadium is going anywhere fast(its been enduring that cannon fire for 50 years now.) I also have not seen many problems with Cadets fighting on or off campus. Not sure where you get that from, but I know that those guys are just glad to get the hell of campus for a few hours. It has been my experience that most of the cadets could care less about the game, it is unfortunate, but those who do not care are usually sitting on their buts waiting the the final second to tick off so they can go out.

I had a similar experience last year with the 2 older(closer to my dad's age than college age) Elon fans(not sure if they were grads or not) Just talked s$!t about The Citadel football till we got a 3 touchdown lead and then they just left. Don't get me wrong they were not racial slurs or anything like that but they were yelling them loud enough for us to hear them. Those things happen I guess...winning tends to erase those memories...otherwise the trip to Burlington was fantastic. What a beatiful campus and stadium. I hope to be there next year again. I have not really had many issues with fans or students at any socon games. Now when we go to some of the FBS schools, their students will get right up in your face. Wisconsin students were really ugly to us...and we almost beat them...I guess they were too stupid to understand what the meant....only exception to that rule was at Texas A&M..they were the most welcoming, gracious fans I have ever seen.

If any of you guys come up to Elon next year, let me know. I am one of these people who just like to sit and talk football before and after the game. This was my first game in Charleston and the last SoCon venue I hadn't been to (I've even been to Samford and ETSU before they imploded).

I'm going to let this all drop, anything more is just whining. And I think the bitterness of the loss has pretty much run its course.

There's bad fans at every school. It's too bad a handful will ruin the day for everyone.

Eyes of Old Main
November 12th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Here's hoping to a rematch at the ROCK in temps about 70 degrees cooler than that blistering Sept day! xnodx

I figured it'd be at least 70 degrees warmer up there since Appalachian is HOT xflamemadx HOT xflamemadx HOT xflamemadx

OL FU
November 12th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Once upon a time therte was a SoCon rule banning students from sitting behind the visiting team's bench. GSU has pretty much ignored it from the time they came in the league and now The Citadel has followed suit. At one point ASU considered making the East Stands in KBS all students, but because of the rule we didn't follow through. Perhaps we need to revisit that idea.

I don't know if it is a rule if not it should be and if it is it should be followedxnodx

Biff
November 12th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I don't know if it is a rule if not it should be and if it is it should be followedxnodx

Has anyone found where this rule might be. I have read just about every handbook on the NCAA website and have found no such rule.

It shouldn't be a rule. Why should it be? Are we saying we can't trust our students to act appropriately? There are rules that penalize a team for there crowds behavior. I know every school has bad apples, but restricting seating?

OL FU
November 12th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Has anyone found where this rule might be. I have read just about every handbook on the NCAA website and have found no such rule.

It shouldn't be a rule. Why should it be? Are we saying we can't trust our students to act appropriately? There are rules that penalize a team for there crowds behavior. I know every school has bad apples, but restricting seating?

That's about it. I can't remember all the specifics but didn't GSU have to put up some barricade between their students and the field because the students spit on the opposing team players. I apologize in advance if I am spreading vicious rumors but I have recollections of that story.

It is a real simple concept. Students are bound to be the drunkest and most obnoxious fans so let them be drunk and obnoxious on the other side of the field. xnodx

We tend to forget that football is not just for the students. It is for families, opposing teams fans and the football players. I am no weanie but unfortunately fun for some people is to make certain that others don't have funxrolleyesx

OL FU
November 12th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Every school restricts seating the more you pay the better your seat. It ain't hard just tell the students to sit on the home sidexnodx

CID1990
November 12th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Every school restricts seating the more you pay the better your seat. It ain't hard just tell the students to sit on the home sidexnodx

Ever been to a basketball game at College of Charleston? Go to one and you will see that the SoCon just doesn't enforce rules governing seating students and keeping them away from the opposing teams or interfering with game play.

OL FU
November 12th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Ever been to a basketball game at College of Charleston? Go to one and you will see that the SoCon just doesn't enforce rules governing seating students and keeping them away from the opposing teams or interfering with game play.

I didn't say the Socon enforced it, I said they shouldxtwocentsx

gophoenix
November 12th, 2007, 12:57 PM

We had a problem with a student that touched The Citadel players at a basketball game 2 years ago. The student was immediately kicked out. And barred from returning that season. But even at Elon, the section behind the visiting team is given to the other school.

I personally don't care if the other students sit behind the team. That's called home field advantage. I want the SoCon policies of fan conduct enforced.

OL FU
November 12th, 2007, 01:09 PM
We had a problem with a student that touched The Citadel players at a basketball game 2 years ago. The student was immediately kicked out. And barred from returning that season. But even at Elon, the section behind the visiting team is given to the other school.

I personally don't care if the other students sit behind the team. That's called home field advantage. I want the SoCon policies of fan conduct enforced.

My position. I am all for raucous crowds cheering their team on and booing of jeering at the other team. That is part of football and everyone knows it. I am also for home teams creating whatever advantage they can. But let's face it. College sporting events are emotional affairs. Otherwise sane individuals lose all of the courtesies their mommies and daddies taught them. So why would would a school encourage and already volatile situation ( and one that is suppose to be fun) by sticking the the student section which is usually the most raucous and outspoken behind the other school's team and usually right next to the other schools fan.