PDA

View Full Version : The Market implications of D1A moves

Pudge
September 9th, 2005, 07:43 PM
There seems to be a great deal of discussion (and some angst) on this movement to D1a ... and the smoke coming from ever more schools discussing their potential in that next strata.

I am a UConn grad and fan. There's been some pointed reference to the UConn model and, quite realistically, the inability of most schools to match the components that has made the move a success. There is the entry to a BCS conference (with the BE restructure, both the membership and the money has come quicker). There is the undeniable success of the statewide fanbase from the NC Men's & Women's BB; the UConn Club served as a crucial base for the season ticket base jumping from 4k to 31k. You could get points for FB season tickets that helped your BB spot.

This was discussed. What wasn't was the place Hartford-New Haven-Springfield, MA sits in terms of Nielson markets ... and what that might say about other schools. The SMSA is 27th. With NFL franchises now priced at over $700,000,000, a CFB "franchise" costing between $100-200m might be a value. Could be important for the local businesses. Clearly major NBA markets like Portland & Sacramento & San Antonio aren't likely to get an NFL club soon (*unless its the Saints). Has anyone focused on how many NEW TV networks have D1a football on during the week? I looked at the CUSA schedule and others ... and found ESPN with new spots; TBS/TNT; Fox; now PAX; BET .etc etc.. There is more and more money available. And its the eyeballs (*Neilson markets) that drive that.

You can dismiss Stony Brook for "delusionary high hopes" but gosh, there are a lot of eyeballs in LI if packaged correctly. What if a "George Soros" type alum gave $40m? Why did the BE grab USF ... why is UCF attractive? The west demographic with shocking growth in parts of California; Nevada; Utah ... is this construct of B10/B12/SEC/ACC set forever if the markets/population change? UConn can grow its market through NE. Others also have potential. The Nevada Wildcat article was touching but perhaps anachronistic to the trends moving CFB.

I like this site's focus.