PDA

View Full Version : Home Games

URMite
November 9th, 2007, 03:24 PM
If Norfolk St gets the AQ, is there any chance they get a home game?

They avg 19045/game & >8000 more empty seats, so they could make a bid.

Assuming the 4 seeds are UNI, McNeese St, Montana, Delaware then some contenders for home games in the 1st round are:

Team attendance capacity
ASU 27,884 16,700
NSU 19,045 27,700
GSU 18,036 18,000
JMU 14,682 12,500
UMass 12,711 17,000
SIU 11,539 17,300
JSU 10,158 15,000
Cal Poly 9,865 8,500
EKU 9,325 20,000
Holy Cross 8,589 23,500
Richmond 6,705 21,300

Anyone else? Looks like ASU & GSU get 2 of the 4 non-seeds. And SIU is still in the picture for a seed. The last 1 or 2 Home games seems to depend on who makes it in from this list.

Maybe I'm more interested in this than most because Richmond is a team that doesn't have high attendance but will try to make a bid.

UMass922
November 9th, 2007, 03:29 PM
If Norfolk St. and Richmond both make the playoffs, I'm guessing they get paired in the first round. And given the attendance figures, the game's probably being played in Norfolk.

EDIT: Substitute JMU for Richmond, and it's probably the same deal. However, if neither of those two teams makes the playoffs, NSU probably gets sent to Delaware (unless DSU gets in as an at-large) or Appalachian State. Given the attendance, though, I'm sure the NCAA would love to get NSU a home game if possible. So maybe they send an SIU there, or maybe a UNH or a UMass (depending on who gets in).

URMite
November 9th, 2007, 03:36 PM
If Norfolk St. and Richmond both make the playoffs, I'm guessing they get paired in the first round. And given the attendance figures, the game's probably being played in Norfolk.

I agree. The only thing that could help is we have a history of making high bids and they are new to the process (I think). I wouldn't mind stealing Fordham from you guys instead.xthumbsupx

A couple of mentions of NSU @ UR was one of the things that prompted this thread.

UMass922
November 9th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I agree. The only thing that could help is we have a history of making high bids and they are new to the process (I think). I wouldn't mind stealing Fordham from you guys instead.xthumbsupx

A couple of mentions of NSU @ UR was one of the things that prompted this thread.

The bid is a factor, but the attendance differential at the two schools is so enormous that that might trump it, even if UR makes the higher bid.

I think I'm actually one of the ones who put NSU @ UR in my bracket prediction without putting too much thought into who gets the home game. I should change that though.

URMite
November 9th, 2007, 04:01 PM
The bid is a factor, but the attendance differential at the two schools is so enormous that that might trump it, even if UR makes the higher bid.

I think I'm actually one of the ones who put NSU @ UR in my bracket prediction without putting too much thought into who gets the home game. I should change that though.

To be honest, I didn't realize NSU was that high myself, until I looked at attendance of reasonably likely playoff teams.

So borderline teams should root for DSU so they can't get an at-large and high attendance teams should root against NSU so they won't take a home game.

I still think we are likely to fall just short either way. If we win out and everything goes right, like you guys losing one, we could be the 5th seed. If we are 8-3, our bid may be the 5th highest non-seed...

skinny_uncle
November 9th, 2007, 04:28 PM
If those numbers are accurate, I assume JMU is selling a lot standing room?

(If you crammed 17000 folks into the Mac at SIU, it would probably fall down).

URMite
November 9th, 2007, 04:39 PM
If those numbers are accurate, I assume JMU is selling a lot standing room?

(If you crammed 17000 folks into the Mac at SIU, it would probably fall down).

I agree. That number stood out to me too, since I am somewhat familiar with them. I thought their capacity was just over 14k but the NCAA says that 14,682 = 117.45% of capacity. xconfusedx

JayJ79
November 9th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I agree. That number stood out to me too, since I am somewhat familiar with them. I thought their capacity was just over 14k but the NCAA says that 14,682 = 117.45% of capacity. xconfusedx

I find it hard to believe the NCAA listings of capacity.
I mean they say Stony Brook has a capacity of 2000, and they average 5300 per game.

Somethings not kosher with those numbers.
(but I can't claim to know anything about Stony Brook's stadium)

JMUSaxMRD
November 9th, 2007, 04:49 PM
If JMU stands out... doesn't ASU stand out even more? ASU 27,884 attendance 16,700 capacity

CamelCityAppFan
November 9th, 2007, 04:59 PM
If JMU stands out... doesn't ASU stand out even more? ASU 27,884 attendance 16,700 capacity

Capacity is available seats. We got room at one end for folks to bring their own seats (or sit on the seat God gave 'em).

putter
November 9th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Does the NCAA take into account attendance differences if the bid is higher? If Norfolk St has the higher bid wouldn't they automatically get the game regardless of how many people they drew?

URMite
November 9th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Does the NCAA take into account attendance differences if the bid is higher? If Norfolk St has the higher bid wouldn't they automatically get the game regardless of how many people they drew?

I was looking at it from the other angle. Would a team that had much lower attendance but had a higher bid get the game? If they have the capacity then maybe so.

Plus attendance probably correlated to most likely bid from most teams. We are definitely the exception. Perhaps SIU & JMU are the exceptions the other way (underbid).

CamelCityAppFan
November 10th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I would think the amount of the bid would be directly tied to the projected attendance (which = projected revenue).

URMite
November 10th, 2007, 12:47 AM
I would think the amount of the bid would be directly tied to the projected attendance (which = projected revenue).

I am still trying to reconcile our '05 home game against Furman. They had double our avg attendance but we had 25% more capacity. I am wondering if as long as you have capacity you can project all your seats will be filled no matter what you attendance during the year (although ours can vary greatly game to game). If your school wants to eat the empty seats maybe they are allowed to.

appfan2008
November 10th, 2007, 08:09 AM
the game goes to the highest bidder... which is not alway the same as the team with the largest attendances

FCS Preview
November 10th, 2007, 08:15 AM
I find it hard to believe the NCAA listings of capacity.
I mean they say Stony Brook has a capacity of 2000, and they average 5300 per game.

Somethings not kosher with those numbers.
(but I can't claim to know anything about Stony Brook's stadium)

Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium opened in 2002 and has a capacity of around 8K

http://goseawolves.cstv.com/school-bio/ston-facilities.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_P._LaValle_Stadium

Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium opened on September 14,2002 and is the new home to the Stony Brook football, soccer and lacrosse teams. The state of the art facility is the largest outdoor facility in Suffolk County and has become the backdrop for some of Long Island’s most exciting sports events. The 8,200-seat stadium...

appfan2008
November 10th, 2007, 08:20 AM
8200 is much bigger than 2000... that aint even close... where is the lapse?

FCS Preview
November 10th, 2007, 08:22 AM
8200 is much bigger than 2000... that aint even close... where is the lapse?

Drop the 8, and add an extra zero? :D

They also still have Stony Brook playing at Seawolves Field. That place was worse than a HS stadium, didn't even have a locker room, IIRC.

Picture of LaValle Stadium during a FB game:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/ston/non-sport/facilities/lavalle-stadium.jpg

URMite
November 10th, 2007, 04:31 PM
the game goes to the highest bidder... which is not alway the same as the team with the largest attendances

I agree that attendance only gives an estimate of what a school might bid.

But if a school averages 12k X $20/ticket and another school has an avg of 5k and stadium capacity of 8k would the ncaa accept a bid of 15k X $20, knowing there aren't that many tickets?

I would think they would only allow a school to eat empty seats not nonexistent ones.

URMite
November 11th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Assuming the 4 seeds are UNI, McNeese St, Montana, SIU then some contenders for home games in the 1st round are:

Team attendance capacity
ASU 27,884 16,700
UD 21,924 22,000
GSU 18,036 18,000
JMU 14,682 12,500
UMass 12,711 17,000
EKU 9,325 20,000
EIU 8,494 10,000
Woff 8,319 13,000
Richmond 6,705 21,300

GSU, JMU, EIU have to win to be in. I think ASU & UD are at home. GSU too if they are in. Who gets the last 1 or 2 home games? UMass has bid well before. It appears JMU has not, will that change?