PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: Fab Four <---BONUS BRACKET

CSN-info
November 9th, 2007, 03:32 AM
The CSN Way: Fab Four
Charles Burton, CSN Columnist

In the home stretch of the 2007 football season, conference championships become the focus of the end of the year for teams around FCS. But four teams, after their performances this past weekend, already know they will be practicing on Thanksgiving and playing in the playoffs. SPECIAL BONUS BRACKET!

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writers/burton/2007/bracket1.jpg

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=88862

Tod
November 9th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Please, not UMASS! xprayx xprayx xprayx

UDBlueLotFan
November 9th, 2007, 06:49 AM
I could only dream of this bracket. UD at home throughout with App.St. visiting the TUBxthumbsupx Wish the date on that bracket was Nov.17.

terrierbob
November 9th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Where are the Elonians?

DetroitFlyer
November 9th, 2007, 07:22 AM
First, why am I not surprised that a die hard Patriot League fan has Holy Cross receiving an at large bid.... Dayton, assuming we defeat Drake, would be more deserving of an at large than the second place team in the Patriot League.... You need to work some on that objectivity thing, LFN!

Also, your information on the PFL is not quite correct. Saturday is the last week of PFL play. Here is how it goes:

If Morehead State defeats San Diego, they win the PFL title with a 6-1 record. ( MSU holds the tie-breaker over UD by defeating the Flyers head to head ).

If San Diego defeats Morehead State, they are at least PFL Co-Champions with a 6-1 record. To be the sole champion, Dayton would have to lose to Drake.

If Dayton defeats Drake, Dayton will be at least a PFL Co-Champion. Dayton wins outright if USD defeats Morehead State, as Dayton holds the tie-breaker over USD because we defeated them in head to head competition.

So the PFL championship will be decided in two cities this year, Des Moines, IA and Morehead, Kentucky.

The games played the last week of the season have no bearing on the final PFL standings. All three are "honor" games for the PFL:

JU hosts Wagner of the NEC

Morehead State travels to FBS Western Kentucky

San Diego travels to UC Davis of the Great West

As I pointed out last week, it is very possible that Dayton could finish 10-1, ( 8-1 FCS ), ranked in the top 25, and not even win the PFL!!!!! And yet, Holy Cross deserves an at large bid over the Flyers.... I think not!

saint0917
November 9th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Don't worry, no way Umass goes to Montana in the first round.

McTailGator
November 9th, 2007, 08:08 AM

No way the NCAA sends someone cross country like that in week one.

Plus I think UMAss is ranked to high and probably deserves a home game in round one.

No way Alabama A&M makes the playoffs either.

Panther FANatic
November 9th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I could only dream of this bracket. UD at home throughout with App.St. visiting the TUBxthumbsupx Wish the date on that bracket was Nov.17.

I think it is going to be UD coming to the friendly confines of the UNI -Domexnonox

UDBlueLotFan
November 9th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I'd love to visit the UNI dome sometimexthumbsupx It would be hard to make two long road trips in a row thoughxoopsx , Iowa then Choo-Chooxsmiley_wix

RAMS83
November 9th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I do think Holy Cross does deserve some consideration. They would be 8-3 with there 3 losses to Top 25 teams-- UMass, Yale and Fordham. Their better wins would be Harvard, Colgate, and to a lesser extent Lafayette-Brown- Lehigh.

Dayton is pretty good too. I saw both games Fordham played against the two. Dayton won fair and square but the heavy and steady rain caused many turnovers, fumbles and dropped passes for FU. I do believe if weather was not a factor outcome would of been different. Fordham controlled the HC game, led throughout and even had a TD passed called back for a suspect holding call. However HC played solid and was never quite out of it. Its more of a question for the committee a 10-1 team from a weaker conference or a 8-3 team from a stronger conference.

HiHiYikas
November 9th, 2007, 09:28 AM
With a possible second-round game in Cedar Rapids, I would be very glad to see ASU visiting the tub in the semis.

I'm (obviously) pulling for ASU to win #3, but second to that is my hope that UNI wins their first. I was impressed with the 2005 panthers. I'm glad they're back in the mix. A 2005 title rematch would be nice.

Benne
November 9th, 2007, 09:30 AM
It's a scary first round if UMass has to travel to Montana. But then again, Furman went to Bozeman last year.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2007, 09:33 AM
No way the NCAA sends someone cross country like that in week one.

Plus I think UMass is ranked to high and probably deserves a home game in round one.

No way Alabama A&M makes the playoffs either.

Thre trouble with this reasoning is twofold:

1) Someone's going to have to travel by plane to Montana.

2) If a 9-2 Alabama A&M squad doesn't make it to the field, someone's got to fly to McNeese.

I think if you fly somebody out in Week One, you do it for a fantastic matchup like Montana/UMass. And with UMass potentially being the No. 3 or No. 4 team out of the CAA, this makes sense.

Either UMass or Richmond, IMO, will likely get the second CAA home game. I think it's Richmond, although a Fordham/Hofstra matchup would also be a very interesting possibility.

xtwocentsx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2007, 09:34 AM
With a possible second-round game in Cedar Rapids, I would be very glad to see ASU visiting the tub in the semis.

I'm (obviously) pulling for ASU to win #3, but second to that is my hope that UNI wins their first. I was impressed with the 2005 panthers. I'm glad they're back in the mix. A 2005 title rematch would be nice.

xoopsx

Of course! Should have mentioned that in the piece. I'll get it in there.

McNeese_beat
November 9th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Thre trouble with this reasoning is twofold:

1) Someone's going to have to travel by plane to Montana.

2) If a 9-2 Alabama A&M squad doesn't make it to the field, someone's got to fly to McNeese.

I think if you fly somebody out in Week One, you do it for a fantastic matchup like Montana/UMass. And with UMass potentially being the No. 3 or No. 4 team out of the CAA, this makes sense.

Either UMass or Richmond, IMO, will likely get the second CAA home game. I think it's Richmond, although a Fordham/Hofstra matchup would also be a very interesting possibility.

xtwocentsx

Richmond could very well be at home hosting Norfolk State...depends what happens tomorrow in Dover...

DetroitFlyer
November 9th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I do think Holy Cross does deserve some consideration. They would be 8-3 with there 3 losses to Top 25 teams-- UMass, Yale and Fordham. Their better wins would be Harvard, Colgate, and to a lesser extent Lafayette-Brown- Lehigh.

Dayton is pretty good too. I saw both games Fordham played against the two. Dayton won fair and square but the heavy and steady rain caused many turnovers, fumbles and dropped passes for FU. I do believe if weather was not a factor outcome would of been different. Fordham controlled the HC game, led throughout and even had a TD passed called back for a suspect holding call. However HC played solid and was never quite out of it. Its more of a question for the committee a 10-1 team from a weaker conference or a 8-3 team from a stronger conference.

It would really be an 8-1 FCS Dayton versus an 8-3 Holy Cross. Holy Cross does not own a single victory over a top 25 team. Dayton owns two, ( Fordham and San Diego ). I just cannot see HC receiving a bid over Dayton. Maybe neither gets in, but if HC were chosen over Dayton, I think it would be a grave injustice.

Cap'n Cat
November 9th, 2007, 09:48 AM

Cedar Falls.

xoopsx

Cincy App
November 9th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Someone will be flying to Lake Charles regardless of whether Alabama A&M is in the field or not. Those two schools are still 625 miles apart.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 9th, 2007, 09:51 AM
A bold prediction...Eastern Washington and Elon will both have to lose IMO for Holy Cross to have a chance to get in.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2007, 09:54 AM
A bold prediction...Eastern Washington and Elon will both have to lose IMO for Holy Cross to have a chance to get in.

That's what my formula has happening... And of course Cal Poly losing to North Dakota State, too. This weekend will be damned interesting and could easily push Holy Cross off the radar. The Crusaders could very, very easily lose to a tough Lafayette team as well.

danefan
November 9th, 2007, 10:12 AM
I'm sorry, I've said it a million times and I'm trying not to beat the "Daytonflyer" drum here, but I don't think Holy Cross should be in consideration anymore than Dayton or Albany.

I don't think any of those three should get an at-large. There are just too many other teams who have had better seasons.

Houndawg
November 9th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Don't worry, no way Umass goes to Montana in the first round.

Not when they could be sent to GSU and SIU sent to Montana.

saint0917
November 9th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Not when they could be sent to GSU and SIU sent to Montana.

That wont happen either, IF, Umass wins their last two games, most likely they will be sent to play the Patriot League Champ, and that will be Fordham. With two games left, there are still to many "ifs"

URMite
November 9th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Are the brackets done by the same person as the predictions? Are the brackets done without consideration of the predictions? Holy Cross in the bracket and Lafayette over HolyCross.

The predictions could seriously narrow the field. Losses by Cal Poly, Norfolk St, UNH, Elon, EWU, Holy Cross. And and interesting call of FU over GSU.

I'd love to host Fordham (despite the last PL playoff visitor), but I think we may have 1 of the 2 highest bids without a home game.

pokum88
November 9th, 2007, 11:53 AM
This would be great for the POKESxthumbsupx

OL FU
November 9th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I sincerely hope that all of your picks this week are right on the moneyxprayx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Are the brackets done by the same person as the predictions? Are the brackets done without consideration of the predictions? Holy Cross in the bracket and Lafayette over HolyCross.

The predictions could seriously narrow the field. Losses by Cal Poly, Norfolk St, UNH, Elon, EWU, Holy Cross. And and interesting call of FU over GSU.

I'd love to host Fordham (despite the last PL playoff visitor), but I think we may have 1 of the 2 highest bids without a home game.

To explain, my bracket picks are made using current records and using a formula to determine where they would finish "should everything remain equal". That's why I have Holy Cross projected to win in the bracketing, and Elon losing to finish 7-4.

It's different from my predictions, though. One is "bracket-ology" using current records: the other is my personal picks of the games this weekend.

Think Richmond would out-bid Hofstra for a game? That's my question. If Richmond wins the bidding, I think Fordham goes there. If Hofstra wins, then I see Fordham playing Hofstra, and the Spiders getting shipped to Appalachian State.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Are the brackets done by the same person as the predictions? Are the brackets done without consideration of the predictions?I thought the same thing. The top section is separate from the CHUCKLES. The top is done with the "magic" system. So the system may show one thing and the CHUCKLES may show another.

URMite
November 9th, 2007, 12:12 PM
To explain, my bracket picks are made using current records and using a formula to determine where they would finish "should everything remain equal". That's why I have Holy Cross projected to win in the bracketing, and Elon losing to finish 7-4.

It's different from my predictions, though. One is "bracket-ology" using current records: the other is my personal picks of the games this weekend.

Think Richmond would out-bid Hofstra for a game? That's my question. If Richmond wins the bidding, I think Fordham goes there. If Hofstra wins, then I see Fordham playing Hofstra, and the Spiders getting shipped to Appalachian State.

Thanks for explaining the methodology. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't like a past article (I can't remember who it was by), where the narrative, playoff predictions and weekly predictions were not all by the same person.

Yes, I do think we outbid Hofstra so given your bracket I think you may be right with SIU being the wildcard. They can bid but will they? Of course winning this weekend could cost us a home game if it costs Delaware the seed.

When looking at all the likely brackets I think one or two reseasonably high bids may not get a home game and it may be us.

JMU Duke Dog
November 9th, 2007, 12:49 PM
While the Dukes just feel like the odd team out after losing two consecutive big CAA games. They may need some help to make the playoffs.

xeyebrowx

Alabama A&M over a JMU team that has only 2 FCS losses by a combined 4 points to Delaware and Richmond?

AZGrizFan
November 9th, 2007, 02:23 PM
The CSN Way: Fab Four
Charles Burton, CSN Columnist

In the home stretch of the 2007 football season, conference championships become the focus of the end of the year for teams around FCS. But four teams, after their performances this past weekend, already know they will be practicing on Thanksgiving and playing in the playoffs. SPECIAL BONUS BRACKET!

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writers/burton/2007/bracket1.jpg

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=88862

I'm not sure what this guy is smokin', but I'd sure like some of it. Ain't no WAY Umass, SIU AND Wofford ALL go on the road in the first round. And there is almost no way that Hofstra and Holy Cross get in...

danefan
November 9th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I'm not sure what this guy is smokin', but I'd sure like some of it. Ain't no WAY Umass, SIU AND Wofford ALL go on the road in the first round. And there is almost no way that Hofstra and Holy Cross get in...

I agree with you on Holy Cross, but....
Hofstra....if they win out, can you really keep them out?

bluehenbillk
November 9th, 2007, 02:32 PM
If Hofstra wins out they're in no doubt about it, they'd be the 2nd best team in the CAA.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure what this guy is smokin', but I'd sure like some of it. Ain't no WAY Umass, SIU AND Wofford ALL go on the road in the first round...Guess you have to read the article. If none get seeds then there is a real possibility they all go on the road. It goes according to bids. Umass, SIU AND Wofford might get outbid.

mcveyrl
November 9th, 2007, 02:34 PM
If Hofstra wins out they're in no doubt about it, they'd be the 2nd best team in the CAA.

Yep, AND UMass would probably go on the road in that scenario (all things being equal - who knows what each school's respective bid would be)

Uncle Buck
November 9th, 2007, 02:39 PM

I agree, if HU wins out, and that is a big IF, they are 9-2 and no way get left out. HU loses one they are finished, but that is the only way they miss the post season.

FCS Preview
November 9th, 2007, 02:42 PM
And there is almost no way that Hofstra and Holy Cross get in...

I agree with you on Holy Cross, but....
Hofstra....if they win out, can you really keep them out?

Hofstra could make it if they go (1-1), also. Who would you put in, instead?

UNI
Montana
McNeese
SIU
UDel
App State
UMass
Richmond
Del State
GSU
EKU
UNH
Wofford
JMU
Fordham

is 15

If you're between an (8-3) Hofstra, Elon or EWU, who goes? Would you say Hofstra is out for sure? What if they lose this weekend, but beat UMass in the last week?

There's a lot of 4-loss teams this year...and a lot of whom won't get 7 D-I wins.. All I know is Selection Sunday is going to be fun.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 02:49 PM

UNI
Montana
McNeese
SIU
UDel
App State
UMass
Richmond
Del State
GSU
EKU
UNH
Wofford
JMU
Fordham

is 15

If you're between an (8-3) Hofstra, Elon or EWU, who goes? Would you say Hofstra is out for sure? What if they lose this weekend, but beat UMass in the last week?xhomerx

There are other teams that could finish with three or less losses.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2007, 02:50 PM

UNI
Montana
McNeese
SIU
UDel
App State
UMass
Richmond
Del State
GSU
EKU
UNH
Wofford
JMU
Fordham

is 15

If you're between an (8-3) Hofstra, Elon or EWU, who goes? Would you say Hofstra is out for sure? What if they lose this weekend, but beat UMass in the last week?

There's a lot of 4-loss teams this year...and a lot of whom won't get 7 D-I wins.. All I know is Selection Sunday is going to be fun.

You put UNH, Wofford and JMU in your brackets, and I'm not at all sure about any of their chances. Woffird and JMU are counting that their singular big wins will mean an *awful* lot to the committee, and in JMU's case that win may be against a 7-4 UNH team. And UNH absolutely has to beat UMass to have any chance.

If UNH beats UMass, UMass will only have one good win to show the committee (against Holy Cross) and losses in two of their final three games (if not three if they lose to Hofstra).

There's a lot left to play.

danefan
November 9th, 2007, 02:50 PM

UNI
Montana
McNeese
SIU
UDel
App State
UMass
Richmond
Del State
GSU
EKU
UNH
Wofford
JMU
Fordham

is 15

Dayton? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Cue DaytonFlyer.......

No, seriously though, I'd probably put in Elon. I think they are a stronger team then Hofstra.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 02:57 PM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writers/dowd/2007/Cartoon2-600w.jpg
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=88855
:)

Grizzaholic
November 9th, 2007, 02:58 PM
A couple of things.

First off I would love for UMass to come back to Zoo Town. The two guys infront of me didn't meet me after the game and I wanted to buy them each a beer.

Second they were a good team but I think we take them the second time.

And how about playing this schedule in the playoffs.

UMass
Georgia Southern
McNeese State
UNI

If we won out and played this post-season schedule I wonder if anybody would complain that we had an easy season? With MSU as the final conference game and these 4 post-season games, it would be tough to say yes.

danefan
November 9th, 2007, 03:16 PM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/a...rticleid=88855 (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=88855)

Conferences with no chance to get any teams in are the Big South, MAAC, Independents, NEC, Pioneer, and Ivy League (does not participate).

I am still waiting for someone to explain to me why the Patriot League's 2nd place team (either Holy Cross or Colgate) is getting consideration but the NEC and Pioneer "have no chance"?

It just doesn't make sense to me and I'm waiting for someone, anyone, to explain it to me.

ONCE AGAIN I DON'T THINK EITHER THE NEC, PFL or PL SHOULD GET AN AT-LARGE. I just find these articles and posts considering Holy Cross for an at-large to be somewhat misinformed.

The one explanation I got so far was that their brackets were based on the GPI. Fine. The ant-GPI argument is different and for a whole different thread.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 03:18 PM
If we won out and played this post-season schedule I wonder if anybody would complain that we had an easy season? Everyone's post-season (if you have one) schedule is tough.

McTailGator
November 9th, 2007, 03:20 PM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/a...rticleid=88855 (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=88855)

I am still waiting for someone to explain to me why the Patriot League's 2nd place team (either Holy Cross or Colgate) is getting consideration but the NEC and Pioneer "have no chance"?

It just doesn't make sense to me and I'm waiting for someone, anyone, to explain it to me.

ONCE AGAIN I DON'T THINK EITHER THE NEC, PFL or PL SHOULD GET AN AT-LARGE. I just find these articles and posts considering Holy Cross for an at-large to be somewhat misinformed.

The one explanation I got so far was that their brackets were based on the GPI. Fine. The ant-GPI argument is different and for a whole different thread. But

They are being considered by people who don't count. xrotatehx

danefan
November 9th, 2007, 03:23 PM
They are being considered by people who don't count. xrotatehx

True.....xnodx

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I am still waiting for someone to explain to me why the Patriot League's 2nd place team (either Holy Cross or Colgate) is getting consideration but the NEC and Pioneer "have no chance"?The committee will say, and listen to them, STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE. No matter who gets in.

danefan
November 9th, 2007, 03:32 PM
The committee will say, and listen to them, STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE. No matter who gets in.

OK. Holy Cross isn't going to win any strength of schedule argument.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 03:33 PM
They are being considered by people who don't count.xrolleyesx In your words, NEC/MAAC/PFL teams don't count. They are as considerable as any other teams and they are.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2007, 03:33 PM
OK. Holy Cross isn't going to win any strength of schedule argument.

With losses to three ranked teams, and a win against another potentially ranked team? Next.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 03:35 PM
OK. Holy Cross isn't going to win any strength of schedule argument.Argument with who?

According to Massey SOS:
Holy Cross 59
Albany 66

Grizzaholic
November 9th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Everyone's post-season (if you have one) schedule is tough.

If things go right and a bunch of upsets happen in the post-season and the Griz get home field throughout and don't play anyone in the top 5 they will get slammed for playing a weak season. I don't care who the hell you are.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 03:40 PM
If things go right and a bunch of upsets happen in the post-season and the Griz get home field throughout and don't play anyone in the top 5 they will get slammed for playing a weak season. I don't care who the hell you are.Maybe, but so what? The guys can only play who are on their schedule and win. UM isn't the only one, there's another unbeaten team with an easy schedule.
xtwocentsx

Grizzaholic
November 9th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Maybe, but so what? The guys can only play who are on their schedule and win. UM isn't the only one, there's another unbeaten team with an easy schedule.
xtwocentsx

And their name is? Haven't heard any **** directed toward them and their schedule?

Model Citizen
November 9th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Lotta little goofs in this article. Austin Peay is two years removed from the PFL, although I noticed their star running back is the same from their last year in the PFL.

Bracket is just plain silly.

danefan
November 9th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Argument with who?

According to Massey SOS:
Holy Cross 59
Albany 66

Once again, please read my entire post. I'm not arguing that Albany should be in consideration. I'm saying that either should Holy Cross.

What I'm trying to point out is the fact that Holy Cross has done nothing more than Albany this year and yet still gets consideration and votes in the top 25, yet Albany gets summarily swept under the rug.

Neither team is a top 25 team and neither team deserves to be in the playoffs.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Once again, please read my entire post. I'm not arguing that Albany should be in consideration. I'm saying that either should Holy Cross. What I'm trying to point out is the fact that Holy Cross has done nothing more than Albany this year and yet still gets consideration and votes in the top 25, yet Albany gets summarily swept under the rug. Neither team is a top 25 team and neither team deserves to be in the playoffs.Once again? I must have missed you saying that the first time. I read your entire post and asked "argument with who?" Thanks.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Lotta little goofs in this article. Austin Peay is two years removed from the PFL, although I noticed their star running back is the same from their last year in the PFL. Bracket is just plain silly.Could you point out the goofs for us? "Could the Governors, who last year were one year removed from playing non-scholarship football in the Pioneer League" isn't wrong. Also, why is the bracket "plain silly?" Thanks.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 04:14 PM
And their name is? Haven't heard any **** directed toward them and their schedule?McNeese and there has been plenty said here about it.

Grizzaholic
November 9th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Could you point out the goofs for us? "Could the Governors, who last year were one year removed from playing non-scholarship football in the Pioneer League" isn't wrong. Also, why is the bracket "plain silly?" Thanks.

As a poster early in the thread stated: UMass, SIU, and Woffard all go on the road. I don't think it will happen, which makes this bracket a pipe dream.

Grizzaholic
November 9th, 2007, 04:17 PM
McNeese and there has been plenty said here about it.

Ok buddy.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 04:21 PM
As a poster early in the thread stated: UMass, SIU, and Wofford all go on the road. I don't think it will happen, which makes this bracket a pipe dream.Thanks GAH. I wonder what Model Citizen will say?

BTW, I pointed out that it could easily happen that those three go on the road, they all have in the past.

With two weeks left we all have ideas about things.

Grizzaholic
November 9th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks GAH. I wonder what Model Citizen will say?

BTW, I pointed out that it could easily happen that those three go on the road, they all have in the past.

With two weeks left we all have ideas about things.

The way you talk about things is that you have things already set in stone. The games will turn out the way you say or else hell freezes over. Get off of your high horse and come down to discuss with the rest of us.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 04:29 PM
The way you talk about things is that you have things already set in stone. The games will turn out the way you say or else hell freezes over. Get off of your high horse and come down to discuss with the rest of us.xconfusedx xrolleyesx xsmhx Funny, I haven't even made one prediction and I don't have a horse.

BTW, go up to the Seach button and type in "McNeese schedule easy" and you'll get about a billion posts talking about it. (strange, a lot are from UM fans complaining that no one else gets called on having an easy schedule).

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2007, 04:31 PM
As a poster early in the thread stated: UMass, SIU, and Woffard all go on the road. I don't think it will happen, which makes this bracket a pipe dream.

All this love for Wofford! So you're going to send Georgia Southern on the road because you want to give Wofford a home game, AFTER GSU already beat them? That makes zero sense.

Southern Illinois has had exactly one home game in the playoffs since 2000, and was outbid by Eastern Illinois last year. You think they're going to outbid Georgia Southern?

As for UMass, are you going to have three CAA teams with home games? Delaware is a lock, which leaves Hofstra, Richmond and UMass battling for one home date. Two of these three get sent packing, and I could easily see Hofstra or Richmond hosting a game. Making it sound like UMass is beyond reproach the week after they lost to a 2-win team is boggling to me.

URMite
November 9th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I'm sorry, I've said it a million times and I'm trying not to beat the "Daytonflyer" drum here, but I don't think Holy Cross should be in consideration anymore than Dayton or Albany.

I don't think any of those three should get an at-large. There are just too many other teams who have had better seasons.

The more I look at Holy Cross, the more I'm not sold on them either. But I am curious why are they ranked so far above Albany in the computer rankings? I know you don't like the computer rankings, but I still want to understand them.

Dayton, on the other hand, has their own issues with a schedule containing multiple teams with multiple non-DIs on their schedules.

Grizzaholic
November 9th, 2007, 04:34 PM
All this love for Wofford! So you're going to send Georgia Southern on the road because you want to give Wofford a home game, AFTER GSU already beat them? That makes zero sense.

Southern Illinois has had exactly one home game in the playoffs, and was outbid by Eastern Illinois last year. You think they're going to outbid Georgia Southern?

As for UMass, are you going to have three CAA teams with home games? Delaware is a lock, which leaves Hofstra, Richmond and UMass battling for one home date. Two of these three get sent packing, and I could easily see Hofstra or Richmond hosting a game. Making it sound like UMass is beyond reproach the week after they lost to a 2-win team is boggling to me.

YES

YES

And YES Umass will get a home game.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2007, 04:35 PM
YES

YES

And YES Umass will get a home game.

Get me a pad of paper, I'm writing this down.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I will guess that Wofford will not outbid Georgia Southern.

UMass has never had an opening round home game unless they were a seed.

URMite
November 9th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I predict there is no way Wofford outbids Georgia Southern.

UMass has never had an opening round home game unless they were a seed.

I agree about Wofford, they don't have attendance or stadium capacity to make a high enough bid. UMass can make a bid but I don't know if they will. Same could be said for EKU & SIU.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I agree about Wofford, they don't have attendance or stadium capacity to make a high enough bid. UMass can make a bid but I don't know if they will. Same could be said for EKU & SIU.Yeah but EKU and SIU have hosted games when they weren't a top 4 seed:

EKU 1983, 1984, 1987 (6th seed), 1988 (7th seed), 1989, 1990.

SIU 2006.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 05:09 PM
UMass can make a bid but I don't know if they will. Same could be said for EKU & SIU.BTW, bids were due today. xreadx

Tod
November 9th, 2007, 06:03 PM
The way you talk about things is that you have things already set in stone. The games will turn out the way you say or else hell freezes over. Get off of your high horse and come down to discuss with the rest of us.

How about you post a bracket with your own predictions and explain them.

BTW, "predictions" is the key word here. Nobody has said they're set in stone, or we'd be looking at the final bracket, wouldn't we?

xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xnonono2x

You think you can do better than LFN? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Back it up! xnodx

danefan
November 9th, 2007, 07:13 PM

The one explanation I got so far was that their brackets were based on the GPI. Fine. The ant-GPI argument is different and for a whole different thread.
emphasis added.

Once again? I must have missed you saying that the first time. I read your entire post and asked "argument with who?" Thanks.

My original post stated that neither of those teams deserved consideration.

All I'm saying is that no one has been able to provide any argument (besides GPI) that Holy Cross has done anything to gain any consideration for an at-large. Three losses to ranked teams show what? As people have thrown at me for three weeks on this board: no loss is a good loss.

I had a really long post outlining all my points, but its worthless to try to discuss something with someone who fails to see any point of view but his own.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I had a really long post outlining all my points, but its worthless to try to discuss something with someone who fails to see any point of view but his own.xrolleyesx I asked a question. Once again someone here tries to discuss respectfully with you and insults from you are the result. Goodbye and good luck with Albany.

DetroitFlyer
November 9th, 2007, 08:52 PM
As I pointed out before, if Dayton beats Drake, they will be 8-1 in FCS with wins over two top 25 teams. Albany has a win over a top 25 team. Holy Cross has ZERO wins over a top 25 team. Dayton and Albany both have better at large cases than Holy Cross.

crusader11
November 9th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Mr. Flyer, I suggest you check the thread regarding strength of schedules for potential playoff teams...Dayton is dead last.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I can't wait for the day when all the FCS conferences have AQs to the tournament. At-large bids will be for those who don't win their conference.

BTW, Lehigh is a team that Holy Cross beat that was top 25 ranked this year.

GreatAppSt
November 9th, 2007, 10:10 PM
With that bracket just go ahead and write Mcneese in the semi game slot.xrolleyesx

Model Citizen
November 9th, 2007, 11:10 PM
x

appfan2008
November 10th, 2007, 08:45 AM
i dont like how elon is not in there... they are currently the aq from the socon... also i dont think asu would have to travel to the the number one team in the country in the second round... they are not hte 8th team in the country

Houndawg
November 10th, 2007, 09:35 AM
i dont like how elon is not in there... they are currently the aq from the socon... also i dont think asu would have to travel to the the number one team in the country in the second round... they are not hte 8th team in the country

Sometimes it's just your turn to bite the pillow. SIU has been there.

DetroitFlyer
November 10th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Mr. Flyer, I suggest you check the thread regarding strength of schedules for potential playoff teams...Dayton is dead last.

SOS.... Give me a break. Explain to me why the PL and Ivy League are rated so high? Neither league plays games against so called FCS powers. Essentially, they play with themselves, (pun intended), and are "rewarded" with artifically high SOS numbers....

Dayton has a win over Fordham who is now ranked in virtually every poll and San Diego who is currently ranked in the SME broadcasters poll. Not two teams that were overrated early in the year, (think Lehigh), but two teams that are currently ranked at the end of the season.

That whole SOS argument is simply another technique used by the powers that be to make sure the Old Guard maintains its grip on the power. It is absolutely insane that a PFL or NEC team has to walk on water to even get a sniff, while a Holy Cross can have a decent season, finish SECOND in their conference and still be talked about as a viable at large candidate!!!!
Bring out the Old Guard cannons and fire away!

danefan
November 10th, 2007, 10:02 AM
The more I look at Holy Cross, the more I'm not sold on them either. But I am curious why are they ranked so far above Albany in the computer rankings? I know you don't like the computer rankings, but I still want to understand them.

Dayton, on the other hand, has their own issues with a schedule containing multiple teams with multiple non-DIs on their schedules.

I missed this post yesterday.
I can't figure out why the computer rankings come out so different for Albany and Holy Cross. SOS is similar and Albany has arguably a better "good win" over Fordham. I cannot believe that the 2 point Colgate loss throws off the computer rankings that much.

I am interested to see what happens if Colgate beats Holy Cross next week and Albany wins out. Then Albany and Holy Cross have pretty much the same season and theoretically should be very close in the computer rankings right?

Houndawg
November 10th, 2007, 10:03 AM
SOS.... Give me a break. Explain to me why the PL and Ivy League are rated so high? Neither league plays games against so called FCS powers. Essentially, they play with themselves, (pun intended), and are "rewarded" with artifically high SOS numbers....

Dayton has a win over Fordham who is now ranked in virtually every poll and San Diego who is currently ranked in the SME broadcasters poll. Not two teams that were overrated early in the year, (think Lafayette), but two teams that are currently ranked at the end of the season.

That whole SOS argument is simply another technique used by the powers that be to make sure the Old Guard maintains its grip on the power. It is absolutely insane that a PFL or NEC team has to walk on water to even get a sniff, while a Holy Cross can have a decent season, finish SECOND in their conference and still be talked about as a viable at large candidate!!!!
Bring out the Old Guard cannons and fire away!

xbawlingx Beat somebody, toughen up your OOC and then come back with your sad story.

DetroitFlyer
November 10th, 2007, 10:12 AM
xbawlingx Beat somebody, toughen up your OOC and then come back with your sad story.

San Diego and Fordham are somebody, hence the rankings!

FCSFAN
November 10th, 2007, 10:22 AM

Dayton has a win over Fordham who is now ranked in virtually every poll and San Diego who is currently ranked in the SME broadcasters poll. Not two teams that were overrated early in the year, (think Lehigh), but two teams that are currently ranked at the end of the season.

Bring out the Old Guard cannons and fire away!SME broadcasters poll???? xlolx What's next, Pete's Poll? The coaches poll? Worthless.