PDA

View Full Version : Best Chance At Getting To Chattanooga

CharlestonAppFan
November 8th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Ok fellas, we all are fairly certain who the top 4 seeds should be, I said should be, not be:

1) UNI
2) Either Montana or McNeese
3) See above
4) Delaware

I think 2-4 is interchangeable, but I think we can all agree this is probably how it will play out (IF all of these teams can win out). With this being said, which other teams have the best chance at getting to the championship game if these 4 don't? My list includes: (not in any particular order)

1) ASU - experience is a bigger factor than some might suggest; even with our defense, you have to stop our offense...that's no small task...and we have Jerry Moore walking our sidelines
2) SIU - play in a tough conference and should be battle tested; although the playoffs haven't been kind to them
3) GSU - play in a tough conference as well, experienced head coach in playoffs, offense is clicking
4) UMass - again, experienced leadership in the playoffs can't be taught

I have others in mind but these 4, IMO, have the best chance. What's your thoughts?

AZGrizFan
November 8th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I predict an EWU-Fordham final. :)

AlphaSigMD
November 8th, 2007, 06:29 PM

I'd "like" to see an ASU-Montana final, as would ESPN, Chatty and anyone who loves football who's team's not eligible.

But, I guess I'd have to eat some crow just by them getting there, because I've said all along that they aren't that great of a team this year.

I couldn't imagine if...Heaven forbid, my mountaineers lose...to montana.........again(shudder)xbawlingx

sharkeycox
November 8th, 2007, 06:34 PM
xpeacex xnodx
Ok fellas, we all are fairly certain who the top 4 seeds should be, I said should be, not be:

1) UNI
3) See above
4) Delaware

I think 2-4 is interchangeable, but I think we can all agree this is probably how it will play out (IF all of these teams can win out). With this being said, which other teams have the best chance at getting to the championship game if these 4 don't? My list includes: (not in any particular order)

1) ASU - experience is a bigger factor than some might suggest; even with our defense, you have to stop our offense...that's no small task...and we have Jerry Moore walking our sidelines
2) SIU - play in a tough conference and should be battle tested; although the playoffs haven't been kind to them
3) GSU - play in a tough conference as well, experienced head coach in playoffs, offense is clicking

I have others in mind but these 4, IMO, have the best chance. What's your thoughts?

The Cowboys vs. The Blue Hensxpeacex

Griz40
November 8th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I'd "like" to see an ASU-Montana final, as would ESPN, Chatty and anyone who loves football who's team's not eligible.

But, I guess I'd have to eat some crow just by them getting there, because I've said all along that they aren't that great of a team this year.

I couldn't imagine if...Heaven forbid, my mountaineers lose...to montana.........again(shudder)xbawlingx

Now this is something I would LOVE to see!!!

CamelCityAppFan
November 8th, 2007, 06:46 PM
I don't agree with the proposition that those 4 top seeds automatically have their tix to Chatty punched by getting a seed. At most, 3 of those 4 might make it to final game, more likely only 2.

Current record notwithstanding, I really don't think that McNeese has faced the kind of competition they will face perhaps in the first round, certainly in the second.

With all due respect to the super-groovy Griz posters on the board, I'm not sure this edition of the the Griz is one to go deep into the playoffs-- and I say this as an App fan who dreams of an App-Montana final. They strike me as a team that has been able to do just enough to win--how will they fare in the playoffs? Big question mark for me.

Before anyone throws bricks at me, let me just say I'm not terribly confident in Apps chances in the playoffs this year. After the first week euphoria, we've had a team that has shown some real, exploitable weaknesses. These are problems of injury, youth, and inexperience, so I feel real good about the next couple of years, but I think we could be in for a roller coaster in the playoffs this year. Provided we win the next 2 weeks, of course.

Now, LAST YEAR, I realized we were going back to win another championship at the exact moment Corey blocked the field goal in the first half of the Furman game. At that moment, I knew we were unstoppable. All y'all that were there know what I mean.

Not so, this year...

Khan4Cats
November 8th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Oh good, I can be DF to this:

DAYTON vs ALBANYxrolleyesx

TheValleyRaider
November 8th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I don't agree with the proposition that those 4 top seeds automatically have their tix to Chatty punched by getting a seed. At most, 3 of those 4 might make it to final game, more likely only 2.

Yeah, I'd say it's pretty likely you only see 2 teams in the title game as well :p

With all due respect to the super-groovy Griz posters on the board, I'm not sure this edition of the the Griz is one to go deep into the playoffs-- and I say this as an App fan who dreams of an App-Montana final. They strike me as a team that has been able to do just enough to win--how will they fare in the playoffs? Big question mark for me.

Without defending Montana too much (they have plenty of people to do that xrotatehx ), teams that win close games like that are exactly the kind that can go deep in the postseason. Experience in tight games pays off when the games get close, and you have to dig into your bag of tricks late in the game to pull out a close one. Teams that can run up the score in most of their games can suddenly run out of ideas when faced with a tight affair.

CamelCityAppFan
November 8th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Without defending Montana too much (they have plenty of people to do that xrotatehx ), teams that win close games like that are exactly the kind that can go deep in the postseason. Experience in tight games pays off when the games get close, and you have to dig into your bag of tricks late in the game to pull out a close one. Teams that can run up the score in most of their games can suddenly run out of ideas when faced with a tight affair.

Yeah, I generally agree with that as well. There's nothing like having to find a way to win to build character and confidence in a team.

I just went back and looked at the Griz scores for the season, and they have blown out the teams they should have. I'll be paying close attention to their next two games, see how easily they handle those two teams on the road before the playoffs.

I think the Montana State game is huge for them. Montana State is out of the playoff hunt, but would love to spoil the Griz' perfect season. If Montana can go on the road, take it to MSU, and win big-- well, that's the kind of momentum you want to carry into the playoffs.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 8th, 2007, 07:29 PM
xpeacex xnodx

The Cowboys vs. The Blue Hensxpeacex

I second that!!!!

'97 still haunts me. xnonono2x xrotatehx xnonono2x

skinny_uncle
November 8th, 2007, 07:32 PM
We haven't won a NC in 24 years. We are due!

unigriff
November 8th, 2007, 07:54 PM
as one who was there in 2005 to witness the "oops, here you go, we beat you the entire game but one fumble" NC game....a lot of us UNI fans would somewhat like to see a REMATCH with ASU. Besides, i need my annual half-full beer bottles thrown at me like 2005.

okay okay, sorry just bitter at some of those ASU fans during tailgating...still be agood game to see though!

unigriff
November 8th, 2007, 07:56 PM
I could see a SIU-UNI NC game too...:) To be honest...i could see SIU getting the shaft of a bracket with having to play ASU, UMass and/or Montana to get tot he title game.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 8th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I could see a SIU-UNI NC game too...:) To be honest...i could see SIU getting the shaft of a bracket with having to play ASU, UMass and/or Montana to get tot he title game.

...................Granted the top 4 seeds get the home games and the teams hitting the road complain.....that's life.....If you get in the field...bring your A game..............there will never be a bracket that makes everyone happy....

Go Dukes

AZGrizFan
November 8th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I could see a SIU-UNI NC game too...:) To be honest...i could see SIU getting the shaft of a bracket with having to play ASU, UMass and/or Montana to get tot he title game.l

griff---there usually aren't any "easy" games in the playoffs. Whomever SIU has to play, they'll be tough. Well, except for the PL autoqualifier. :D

Mountain Panther
November 8th, 2007, 08:23 PM
We haven't won a NC in 24 years. We are due!

Oh YOU'RE due?

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 8th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Oh YOU'RE due?

2003 Delaware
2004 JMU
2005 ASU
2006 ASU

..................I think it's our turn now!!!!!xnodx

Go CAA and hopefully the Dukes!!!!

crunifan
November 8th, 2007, 08:39 PM
UNI has never won this thing, it is our turn. Back off!

Mountain Panther
November 8th, 2007, 08:43 PM
2003 Delaware
2004 JMU
2005 ASU
2006 ASU

..................I think it's our turn now!!!!!xnodx

Go CAA and hopefully the Dukes!!!!

Don't get greedy. xnonox

igo4uni
November 8th, 2007, 08:56 PM
UNI has never won this thing, it is our turn. Back off!

Yes, what he said.

SuperEagle
November 8th, 2007, 09:15 PM

1) UNI
3) See above
4) Delaware

I appreciate the respect. But I'm nervous as heck about the Furman game this Saturday. Our offense has been fantastic, but the way our D has played, 1 or 2 bad plays/turnovers by our O could cost us bigtime. I think if we make the playoffs we could be very dangerous, but we've got a tough road ahead just to make it.

HaveFunKc
November 8th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Now this is something I would LOVE to see!!!

Which part, the game, the eating crow or the shuddering? xlolx

Either way, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. We have a game this weekend to take care of. Bottom-feeder or not, Western Carolina is our target this saturday.

Purple For Life
November 8th, 2007, 10:20 PM

Man, what are you ON? xeekx

...and can I have some? xsmiley_wix xlolx xthumbsupx xnodx xwhistlex

joecooll6
November 8th, 2007, 10:35 PM
How great is this time of year? And how great is it to be FBS fans and have a playoff with all these great teams getting to prove on the field who's the best. Im so glad Im an FCS fan and not and FBS fan!

Tod
November 8th, 2007, 10:52 PM

I will absolutely guarantee that NO NDSU fan would like to see Montana in the final. Not one!

xwhistlex

JayJ79
November 9th, 2007, 01:19 AM
as one who was there in 2005 to witness the "oops, here you go, we beat you the entire game but one fumble" NC game....a lot of us UNI fans would somewhat like to see a REMATCH with ASU. Besides, i need my annual half-full beer bottles thrown at me like 2005.

okay okay, sorry just bitter at some of those ASU fans during tailgating...still be agood game to see though!

At least you're being an optimist and saying that the bottles are half-full instead of half-empty :p

And I have to give credit to the ASU DE's. That was no "oops" fumble, that was a "ball ripped out by someone coming from the blindside" strip. Not much Sanders could have done about that one.

CharlestonAppFan
November 9th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I really do expect UNI to be in the final game...playing at home in the dome for all of your games is more than a huge plus! Now the other team, I have no idea...it'll be based on seedings, home games, location, luck.....

Go Apps
November 9th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Making Chattanooga

My List...

1- UNI
2 -Mass
3- Montana
4- Delware
5- GSU
6 - ASU

In that order...

nmatsen
November 9th, 2007, 09:05 AM
ESPN DOES NOT WANT MONTANA IN NOOGA'.

They want Montana to play 3 games at home and then lose in the semis at home. Montana has the best home field atmosphere in the FCS. The problem? Why does ESPN not want them in Nooga? Because when they play in Nooga there would be a lot of empty seats!!! Just like when they played in there in 2001. It looked like a poorly attended high school game in a bad neigborhood.

griz&beer
November 9th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I will absolutely guarantee that NO NDSU fan would like to see Montana in the final. Not one!

xwhistlex

I would not go that far, I know there are some out there.

The Moody1
November 9th, 2007, 10:36 AM

They want Montana to play 3 games at home and then lose in the semis at home. Montana has the best home field atmosphere in the FCS. The problem? Why does ESPN not want them in Nooga? Because when they play in Nooga there would be a lot of empty seats!!! Just like when they played in there in 2001. It looked like a poorly attended high school game in a bad neigborhood.

No empty seats if they play ASU. :D

89Hen
November 9th, 2007, 11:04 AM
UNI and Montana are my favs right now... home field advantage. xnodx

RAMS83
November 9th, 2007, 11:18 AM
there usually aren't any "easy" games in the playoffs. Whomever SIU has to play, they'll be tough. Well, except for the PL autoqualifier.

While the Patriot League doesnt strike fear to FCS opponents our combined record in the 1aa playoffs is 7-14 with the majority of these were "away" games. In addition the PL doesnt allow redshirting (5th year seniors). BY THE WAY WHATS THE PL RECORD VS GATEWAY IN 1AA PLAYOFFS. OH YEAH 2-1 for the PL. Loooooooooool. Careful what you wish for.

Atlantic 10/CAA: 4-10
Southern Conference: 0-3
Gateway Football Conference: 2-1
Independents: 1-0

Saluki_man
November 9th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I would like to see a rematch of the 1983 National Championship game:

Southern Illinois vs Western Carolina

Oh wait a minute, Western Carolina won't make the playoffs. :D

So its going to be a SIU-UNI rematch of the epic battle that happend in the dome.

89Hen
November 9th, 2007, 12:26 PM
So its going to be a SIU-UNI rematch of the epic battle that happend in the dome.
In the Q's or semis?

skinny_uncle
November 9th, 2007, 12:36 PM
In the Q's or semis?

Hopefully in Chattanooga so we don't have to play in the Dreaded Dome.
:D

Oldhen
November 9th, 2007, 12:52 PM
The Cowboys vs. The Blue Hens

I think we've got the O to get there. We get our DE's back healthy, our D's got a chance to play well enough.

We don't get the DE's back and fairly healthy, we're a r-e-a-l longshot.

mcveyrl
November 9th, 2007, 01:00 PM

They loaded that place up in '04. I think there were more Montana fans than JMU fans.

HENJOHN
November 9th, 2007, 01:29 PM
A rematch of a 2003 Playoff game........The Blue Hens versus Northern Iowa.......:)

FCS Go!
November 9th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Isn't this thread supposed to be about who everyone thinks has a legitimate chance at the championship game besides the " top four"?

I think there are really only 2, maybe 3 other teams with a real shot at Chattanooga:

S. Illinois- only loss is to the unquestioned #1 (sorry Bison fans)
App St- experience counts here

My maybe is UMass. I've been on the fence with them all year and last weeks loss, bad weather or no, just about knocks them out of the legit class. I don't see any of the remaining field being an expected threat to go all the way.

As for who I wish would play in Chattanooga- I'd love an EWU vs Montana final. The resultant CAA and SoCon xbawlingx on this board would be priceless. One can dream...

APPST '93
November 9th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Seeds 1 & 2.

Home games with no travel. xnodx

JoltinJoe
November 9th, 2007, 08:11 PM
l

griff---there usually aren't any "easy" games in the playoffs. Whomever SIU has to play, they'll be tough. Well, except for the PL autoqualifier. :D

We're looking for an easy ticket to Chattanooga so we're hoping for Montana.:p

CharlestonAppFan
November 13th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Time to restart this discussion since the Blue Hens decided to screw things up again xsmiley_wix...remember guys, it's the team with the best chance OTHER THAN THE TOP FOUR SEEDS xthumbsupx

1) Delaware - can be in this discussion now since they are out of the question for a seeding...I believe they have the talent, but it doesn't look like their D is up at stopping an Offensive attack xeyebrowx
2) Richmond - have to include them in the discussion now...but also looks like the D is a little suspect xeyebrowx
3) ASU - uh oh....our O is peaking at the right time..xeekx
4) UMass - I still believe this is the team to beat in the CAA
xnodx