PDA

View Full Version : Texas Southern Fires Head Coach

gokats85
November 8th, 2007, 03:21 PM
TSU Head Coach Steve Wilson was let go this afternoon.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5285912.html

jstate83
November 8th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Them some happy people.xlolx
It's a celebration by Texas Southern poster's on Swacpage. xlolx

TexasTerror
November 8th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Saw that the article mentioned the Lane HC, Cole...would he leave Lane for TxSo?

Can TxSo guarantee they will not do to football what they did to men's basketball? Will their be a head coach in time for recruiting, spring drills and even August two-a-days?

Grizzaholic
November 8th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Them some happy people.xlolx
It's a celebration by Texas Southern poster's on Swacpage. xlolx

WOW! I didn't realize there were only 2 games remaining in the season. Time for coaches' heads to go on the chopping block. I always thought it would be better if the coach was "relieved of his duties" after the season was over. But at 0-9......maybe it is good, who knows.

jstate83
November 8th, 2007, 03:40 PM
WOW! I didn't realize there were only 2 games remaining in the season. Time for coaches' heads to go on the chopping block. I always thought it would be better if the coach was "relieved of his duties" after the season was over. But at 0-9......maybe it is good, who knows.

We got rid of Bell with 3 game's remaining in 2005.
Quicker you start the search, the quicker a potential recruit can see what direction your team will be going in.

If they get them Cole brother's, look out.

I'll gurantee you that they will recruit TEXAS like their lives depend on it.
They will raid Tennessee and Mississippi like they did when they was at Tenn. State and Alabama State.

Grizzaholic
November 8th, 2007, 03:58 PM
We got rid of Bell with 3 game's remaining in 2005.
Quicker you start the search, the quicker a potential recruit can see what direction your team will be going in.

If they get them Cole brother's, look out.

I'll gurantee you that they will recruit TEXAS like their lives depend on it.
They will raid Tennessee and Mississippi like they did when they was at Tenn. State and Alabama State.

I guess that would be about the only upside. You just got to feel bad about the seniors that are enduring a losing season and then lose their coach before the season is over.

TexasTerror
November 8th, 2007, 04:12 PM
I guess that would be about the only upside. You just got to feel bad about the seniors that are enduring a losing season and then lose their coach before the season is over.

I feel worse about the fact the seniors last game is against HOUSTON. Not sure how well the Tigers can hold up against their down the street adversary...that was a bad decision to schedule that game at the end of the year...

blackcaesar3k5
November 8th, 2007, 04:43 PM
jstate83,

Rumor has it that Johnnie Cole is waiting for a chance to replace Pete Richardson at Southern University..

TexasTerror
November 8th, 2007, 04:45 PM
A poster on KatFans.com, said the following...

My friend who is a starting Noseguard for TSU wasn't even informed of this until after it had happened. The team had no prior knowledge, I thought the team usually knew before the press....

813Jag
November 8th, 2007, 04:49 PM
jstate83,

Rumor has it that Johnnie Cole is waiting for a chance to replace Pete Richardson at Southern University..
Word out of Baton Rouge is Pete has got an extension. xreadx

jstate83
November 8th, 2007, 04:53 PM
jstate83,

As much as SU supporter's SAY they want Pete gone, Pete ain't going nowhere with a 7-2 record.

He could go 9-2 if he win's out.

jstate83
November 8th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Word out of Baton Rouge is Pete has got an extension. xreadx

That's what we hearing also.xnodx

The next coach in the SWAC to get the ax will be Dr. Johnny "Ripsaw" Thomas of Alcorn. xnodx

813Jag
November 8th, 2007, 05:02 PM
That's what we hearing also.xnodx

The next coach in the SWAC to get the ax will be Dr. Johnny "Ripsaw" Thomas of Alcorn. xnodx
I'm surprised he lasted this long. xconfusedx

SUjagTILLiDIE
November 8th, 2007, 05:34 PM
jstate83,

Thats not happening.

Zoo
November 8th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I saw this firing happening, I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one, but I didn't expect this late in the season at all.

TexasTerror
November 8th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Question for the masses...

So, what is it going to take for Texas Southern to succeed?

My thoughts...

1) Quality head coach who can sell the players on his mission

2) Upgrade facilities -- other schools in SWAC are ahead of Texas Southern. Not sure that there is the $$$ to do it, but perhaps if you get the right coach, he can pull a Todd Graham (the old Rice HC who someone made wheels turn at Rice for his one year) and make something happen.

3) Actually update your web site -- bet it is hard to get recruits if they can not read up on the current programs. Surely gets players motivated to see their name in "lights". This does not happen at TxSo and is a shame.

813Jag
November 9th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Question for the masses...

So, what is it going to take for Texas Southern to succeed?

My thoughts...

1) Quality head coach who can sell the players on his mission

2) Upgrade facilities -- other schools in SWAC are ahead of Texas Southern. Not sure that there is the $$$ to do it, but perhaps if you get the right coach, he can pull a Todd Graham (the old Rice HC who someone made wheels turn at Rice for his one year) and make something happen.

3) Actually update your web site -- bet it is hard to get recruits if they can not read up on the current programs. Surely gets players motivated to see their name in "lights". This does not happen at TxSo and is a shame.
I'll leave specifics to someone closer to the TSU program, but the Tigers had success in the late '90s early 2000's under Bill Thomas but I don't know what happened. xconfusedx

3rd Coast Tiger
November 10th, 2007, 03:31 AM
I'll leave specifics to someone closer to the TSU program, but the Tigers had success in the late '90s early 2000's under Bill Thomas but I don't know what happened. xconfusedx

In Wilson's last season, he had to go 6-5 or better. He ended up 5-6 and the president had to honor their committment to the alumni.

His last four seasons went:

5-6 2003
3-7 2002
4-7 2001
8-3 2000

Bank on J.Cole getting the job. xthumbsupx