ASUG8
November 8th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Should be pretty cool when finished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-tWPsKXY0M

mcveyrl
November 8th, 2007, 03:45 PM
What? No Ty Pennington...

Disappointing...

Actually, that looks pretty nice. Hope the Dukes visit there again soon.

mcveyrl
November 8th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Are they upgrading the visitor's side, too, or am I just seeing things?

ASUG8
November 8th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Looks like it - most of what I've seen up until now has focused on the home side and indoor practice facility. The visitors' side really needs expansion (or at least upgrades).

89Hen
November 8th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Nice... dare I say hot! xsmiley_wix

Franks Tanks
November 8th, 2007, 03:59 PM
That Press box facility is sure awesome--but you guys really do need to add 10-15k seats as 25k crowds are becoming quite common it seems

DuckDuckGriz
November 8th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Looks pretty good. Although the "Future Goals" part near the end I didn't see a difference - was the non-press box side expanded?

aust42
November 8th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Very nice! But they should have got rid of the track. I'm jeolous, Delaware needs to do the same!

ASUG8
November 8th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Nice... dare I say hot! xsmiley_wix

Yes, but please don't follow your "hot" with "hot hot".:)

ASUG8
November 8th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Looks pretty good. Although the "Future Goals" part near the end I didn't see a difference - was the non-press box side expanded?

It hasn't been yet obviously, but I think it's in the plans. There was also some talk at some point of making it into a horseshoe, but I think we'd have to be a lot closer to making a FBS jump than now. Part of the attendance we're seeing right now are bandwagon fans, although seating capacity (currently at ~16,500) needs to grow several thousand. Give us a couple of sub .500 seasons and see if the NC legislature will approve the funding for an expansion.

89Hen
November 8th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Very nice! But they should have got rid of the track. I'm jeolous, Delaware needs to do the same!
xconfusedx We don't have a track. :p

Agreed. We're falling behind.

The Moody1
November 8th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Looks like it - most of what I've seen up until now has focused on the home side and indoor practice facility. The visitors' side really needs expansion (or at least upgrades).

We are supposed to have a deck added to the east side with aprox 6k additional seats before next season.

pokum88
November 8th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Nice, but the track has to go makes it look like high school.

CamelCityAppFan
November 8th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Give us a couple of sub .500 seasons and see if the NC legislature will approve the funding for an expansion.

The state legislature generally does not fund non-academic facilities at the university. Dorms, cafeterias, student unions, and even football stadiums have to be paid for by fundraising or by facility revenue within a certain period of time.

Naming rights to the entire refurbished athletic complex can be yours for a gift of 4 million bucks.

DuckDuckGriz
November 8th, 2007, 05:43 PM
The state legislature generally does not fund non-academic facilities at the university. Dorms, cafeterias, student unions, and even football stadiums have to be paid for by fundraising or by facility revenue within a certain period of time.

Naming rights to the entire refurbished athletic complex can be yours for a gift of 4 million bucks.

Dorms cafeterias and student unions have to fall under the wing of athletics too? So wait.....what about increasing enrollment? Aren't dorms considered an entity of academic funding? Is that why the legislature loves to pump up tuition, control those enrollment rates? Amazing (and I'm not just referring to ASU or North Carolina obviously)

CamelCityAppFan
November 8th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Dorms cafeterias and student unions have to fall under the wing of athletics too? So wait.....what about increasing enrollment? Aren't dorms considered an entity of academic funding? Is that why the legislature loves to pump up tuition, control those enrollment rates? Amazing (and I'm not just referring to ASU or North Carolina obviously)

When I was up there (and granted, that was a while ago xsmiley_wix ), I was involved in student government, and the gripe was, why can't "they" build us a new (take your pick) cafeteria/dorm/parking deck/etc. And the answer was always the funding was too difficult to obtain. Non-academic structures had to be paid for with X amount of time from revenue generated by said structure (I forget what X is). Want a new parking deck? Parking fees go up. Want a new dorm? Room and board fees go up. Want a Student Union? Student fees go up. So money for those structures from the legislature is really more like a loan, and you have to show that the structure can pay for itself in the X amount of time.

Tuition is supposed to be the same at all 16 UNC system schools; it's the room and board and student fees, etc that make up the price differences.

Maybe all that has changed since the *ahem* 18 years I was there...

CamelCityAppFan
November 8th, 2007, 06:08 PM

One more thing-- you are more than welcome to pony up the $4M if you want. "The DuckDuckGriz Athletic Complex" has a nice ring to it. There's already a duck pond at the entrance!

igo4uni
November 8th, 2007, 06:16 PM

"Cap'n Cat's Litter Box"

APPride
November 8th, 2007, 06:46 PM
We are supposed to have a deck added to the east side with aprox 6k additional seats before next season.

only 6k? I thought 8? There will be regular concessions and restrooms also from what I have heard. I think w/ this East side upgrade it will finally stop being the "visitors" side...talk about high school...

CamelCityAppFan
November 8th, 2007, 06:49 PM
"Cap'n Cat's Litter Box"

I like that. Instead of "Welcome to the Rock" we can say "It's where we kick the 5h!^ out of you!"

xlolx

BigApp
November 8th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Are they upgrading the visitor's side, too, or am I just seeing things?

we don't have a 'visitors side', only East and West stands.

Saint3333
November 9th, 2007, 07:57 AM
The current plans includes expanding the East Side by 4,600 by building an upper deck which will hang over the current seats. They plan is to leave room for suites in between the two levels for future expansion if needed.

IMO the upgrades of restrooms and concessions will be the biggest improvement for our fans. This expansion plus the box seats on the west side will give ASU ~23K permanent seats. Our stadium will be able hold ~32K with the hill seating.

The only issue with KBS now is the track, but it would be so expensive to lower the field and after these improvements that is the only way to get rid of the track. I can live with itxthumbsupx.

Seahawks Fan
November 9th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Very nice. xthumbsupx

Griz0383
November 9th, 2007, 06:50 PM
The stadium looks great! but get rid of the track! Montana didn't have the room for a track so it was cut out of the plans and IMO that lack of space became one of the biggest reasons why Montana's program began its accent to the upper tier of 1-AA. After it was completed in 1987( i think) attending a game their was suddenly fun and the Griz players responded to the crowd and visa versa creating the crazy close relationship that exists today. I was lucky to be a part of the transformation seeing where the Griz came from to the current success and catalyst was the stadium. It continues to grow every few years and the new addition starts at the end of the season!

appfan2008
November 10th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I have heard rumors that neither will be finished by next football season... I kind of am doubting it myself... the pressbox sure has a long way to go and the away side still has found no way to fund itself yet

furman94
November 10th, 2007, 09:05 AM
I would do away with the track, It'd give it a more intimate feel.

proasu89
November 10th, 2007, 10:08 AM
I would do away with the track, It'd give it a more intimate feel.

Intimate! This is a football stadium where football players knock the snot out of each other. There's no intimacy in Football:p

However, you're 100% correct, the track has to go. We have a great Track and Field programxthumbsupx but I wish they had their own venue.