PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Santos' last home game at UNH vs Maine Nov. 17

UNH SUPERFAN
November 8th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I know it is more than a week away and there is obviously a big game this weekend vs UMass but I think its time for UNH and the state of New Hampshire to start thinking about some way to honor this kid, who holds every record of substance at UNH and is the reigning Payton Award holder. If there are any UNH students who visit this site they should see to it that EVERY student plan to be there next Saturday as a tribute to this great competitor. I have seen almost every game he has played in his 4 years as the Wildcat QB; he not only is a great player but a humble kid. I think the governor of New Hampshire should declare Saturday Nov 17 Ricky Santos Day. Great players come along only once in a while and the people of New Hampshire should take this opportunity to honor Rick Santos.

UNHWildCats
November 8th, 2007, 11:12 AM
You can contact Governor John Lynch here.. http://www.egov.nh.gov/governor/goveforms/comments.asp

I have already emailed him suggesting he make next Saturday Ricky Santos Day

UNHFan99
November 8th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Agreed. Ricky deserves some recognition. Ricky being Ricky would rather just win out and be in the playoffs. He has done some special things at UNH and the students and fans should find a way to celebrate his accomplishments. More importantly find a way to thank him for leading this program for four years.

WrenFGun
November 8th, 2007, 11:18 AM
The game will obviously mean a boatload more if UNH can pull off the upset this weekend, but either way, I'll be there to root him on, one more time. With David Ball, Ricky Santos put UNH on the FCS map. We owe him a warm farewell. I'm not willing to look that far, what with playoff aspirations still very much alive, however.

Peems
November 8th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I remember watching him at Wa-Griz and he just mesmerized us with his great play. Hopefully I can see him in person one more time.

UNHWildCats
November 8th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I remember watching him at Wa-Griz and he just mesmerized us with his great play. Hopefully I can see him in person one more time.

If my dream playoff run happens you will :D

vanquish a lot of demons xnodx xnodx xnodx

1st round W at Appalachian State (1994 exit)
2nd round W at Massachusetts (2006 exit)
3rd round W at Montana (2004 exit)
4th round W vs Northern Iowa at Chattanooga (2005 exit)

D1B
November 8th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Santos is the Dan Marino of FCS football.

Great QB, statistically and perhaps otherwise, who never won the big one.xsmhx

appstate38
November 8th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Where does Santos stand in terms of the record book nationally, as far as yards, completions, TD passes, etc... I know you guys had that WR 2 years ago who broke Jerry Rice's TD record for WR's.

WrenFGun
November 8th, 2007, 03:05 PM

Who's to say he won't win the big one this year!? Plenty of hope still left in Durham!

UNHFan99
November 8th, 2007, 03:33 PM
He needs 2 more touchdowns to pass Mcnair I think to put him 3rd all time.

DuckDuckGriz
November 8th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I assume that the #2 will most likely never be worn again at UNH?

WrenFGun
November 8th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Almost a certainty. Ball's # was retired.

DuckDuckGriz
November 8th, 2007, 03:38 PM
To be honest if Montana or any else from the Big Sky does not make it to the championship I will probably be cheering for UNH. It would be cool to see Santos go out -- Elway style.

UMass922
November 8th, 2007, 06:12 PM
He certainly deserves some special recognition--one of the best QBs ever in the A10/CAA and I-AA/FCS. Win or lose, I'm sure he'll give a great performance against us on Saturday with everything on the line. And should he win, I'll be rooting for him to make a national championship run (well, unless he runs into us in the playoffs yet again).

Hopefully he gets a fair shot in the NFL, but if that doesn't work out, I could see him being an extremely successful CFL quarterback. He has the kind of game that would fit that style of play perfectly.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 9th, 2007, 02:06 AM
To be honest if Montana or any else from the Big Sky does not make it to the championship I will probably be cheering for UNH. It would be cool to see Santos go out -- Elway style.

You mean go out Dave Dickenson style. You get to go to the chipper as a fan and watch your team win it's first national championship.Then fly back home and go immediately to a party in the basketball confines that your school has and with 8000 other fans watch as his number is retired. Then you get to listen to the phone call the President of The United States of America makes to him congratulating him on the win and his career. Trust me on this one it would be a day that you would never forget.

DuckDuckGriz
November 9th, 2007, 02:38 AM
You mean go out Dave Dickenson style. You get to go to the chipper as a fan and watch your team win it's first national championship.Then fly back home and go immediately to a party in the basketball confines that your school has and with 8000 other fans watch as his number is retired. Then you get to listen to the phone call the President of The United States of America makes to him congratulating him on the win and his career. Trust me on this one it would be a day that you would never forget.

You are right. Super Dave was the man. I believe he would have won 3 national titles -- if not for the infamous extra point in the 49-48 game in `93, him being injured for the semis at YSU in `94 and the won he took from Marshall in `95.

SO let's see if Santos goes out Dickensonian and grabs his school their first NC......Let's HOPE that Montana prevents that from happening....

Tod
November 9th, 2007, 03:53 AM
You can contact Governor John Lynch here.. http://www.egov.nh.gov/governor/goveforms/comments.asp

I have already emailed him suggesting he make next Saturday Ricky Santos Day

Dear Governor Lynch,
As a resident of Montana, I don't expect my opinion to hold quite the sway that it would if I were from the Granite State.
However, I sincerely hope that you will consider special recognition for Ricky Santos, the quarterback of the UNH Wildcats, reigning Walter Payton winner, and NCAA record breaker.
As a fan of the Montana Grizzlies and the Football Championship Subdivision, I, like many others, am fully aware of Ricky's accomplishments both on the field and off.
Thank you for your consideration, sir.

Respectfully,
Tod *******

God Bless America
Live Free or Die

WildcatFan
November 9th, 2007, 05:55 AM
When I first read this thread I thought "How cool would that be." But then I remembered that this game is Senior Day. Ricky would be the last person to want to take anything away from the other seniors on the team. He would be the first to tell you that they have worked just as hard as he has over the last five years to be successful. Their success has been a team effort and he would want to keep it a team day.

UNH SUPERFAN
November 9th, 2007, 07:06 AM
When I first read this thread I thought "How cool would that be." But then I remembered that this game is Senior Day. Ricky would be the last person to want to take anything away from the other seniors on the team. He would be the first to tell you that they have worked just as hard as he has over the last five years to be successful. Their success has been a team effort and he would want to keep it a team day.

I thought about that also, but I don't think it would take away from the other seniors. In fact, I think that if you asked the other seniors they would be in total agreement to do something special for Ricky. In any case hope that 1) students attend the game enmass and 2) the local media make a big deal of this day. Wouldn't it be great to jam 20k fans into that stadium!!

UNHWILDCATS05
November 9th, 2007, 07:24 AM
I thought about that also, but I don't think it would take away from the other seniors. In fact, I think that if you asked the other seniors they would be in total agreement to do something special for Ricky. In any case hope that 1) students attend the game enmass and 2) the local media make a big deal of this day. Wouldn't it be great to jam 20k fans into that stadium!!

Wow... 20k... I don't even know where you would put that many people.... Last years JMU game had 13k+ and there were people sitting on top of the scoreboard I'm pretty sure...xlolx

UNH SUPERFAN
November 9th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Wow... 20k... I don't even know where you would put that many people.... Last years JMU game had 13k+ and there were people sitting on top of the scoreboard I'm pretty sure...xlolx

I know it's a real stretch but what the heck!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 12th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Well, I'm in Florida and have missed the last two games. I have a bag packed with cold/wet weather gear figuring that I'd have a playoff game to go to on my drive north like 2004 and 2006. I never really expected the Maine game to be anything but Ricky's final home game.

At this point I can't be in Durham this Saturday, but hope that all Wildcat fans attend and provide vocal support to raise the spirits of the team. I know they have to be down right now, but I can't think of a worse way to end the Ricky Santos Era then with three losses in a row. Especially to lose the Musket on home turf to boot!!

The thrills experienced these past four seasons have been incredible. And my travels to Delaware, Rutgers, Villanova, Towson, Northeastern, Dartmouth, UMass, Georgia Southern, Northwestern, Hampton, Hofstra along with numerous trips up to Durham as a season ticket holder have been worth every penny spend and all the time allocated!!!

Wildcat Nation, please show up in force this Saturday to thank Ricky and his teammates for an absolutely incredible ride.