PDA

View Full Version : O and D-Line Health

AlphaSigMD
November 7th, 2007, 08:49 PM
As the week wears on, is there any new news about the ASU injury status?

lillycafe
November 7th, 2007, 09:48 PM

According to the game notes on www.goasu.com, Cortez Gilbert (DB), Pat Mills (OL), Gary Tharrington (DL), Tavaris Washington (WR), and Tim Washington (DL) are questionable, but are all on the two-deep this week. Mario Acitelli (OL), Seth Breitenstein (DB), Trey Hennessee (TE), Daniel Kilgore (OL), Brian Quick (WR) are out.

appfan2008
November 7th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I just got finished reading the game notes as well... pretty sad to tell you the truth with how many guys are out... i just hope we can continue limping through the season and get healthy for the playoffs

james_lawfirm
November 8th, 2007, 10:04 AM

I have a question for the good doctor. Tharrington seemingly gets injured two or three times a game. More than once I was amazed to see him back in the game (like at The Citadel). If you look at him closely, it appears he is "double-jointed" to use the vernacular. I have seen other athletes I would describe as "double-jointed" and to watch them walk just looks painful.

Could you describe to this medically illiterate lawyer what being double jointed means? And how does this impact an athlete like Tharrington? Is it possible that he is actually less injury prone than others, but he just takes a while to get up? Would you care to speculate on Mr. Tharrington's situation? Thanks.

AlphaSigMD
November 8th, 2007, 06:48 PM
I have a question for the good doctor. Tharrington seemingly gets injured two or three times a game. More than once I was amazed to see him back in the game (like at The Citadel). If you look at him closely, it appears he is "double-jointed" to use the vernacular. I have seen other athletes I would describe as "double-jointed" and to watch them walk just looks painful.

Could you describe to this medically illiterate lawyer what being double jointed means? And how does this impact an athlete like Tharrington? Is it possible that he is actually less injury prone than others, but he just takes a while to get up? Would you care to speculate on Mr. Tharrington's situation? Thanks.

Being double jointed only means being hyperextensible or hypermobile in a certain joint. There are a bunch of things that cause it.
1. Congenital Anomolies
2. In-born errors of metabolism
3. Defective or altered collagen synthesis
4. Unusual bone articulations
5. Unilateral weakness, aplasia or agenesis of isolated tendons or ligaments.

Things that can be associated with being overly double jointed for the reasons listed above.
1. Ehlos-Danler's Syndrome
2. Mitral Valve Prolapse
3. Cervical Insufficiency
4. AV malformations and Berry Aneurisms
5. Renal Clear Cell Carcinoma
6. Arthritis

BUT...i don't know if Gary's "hyperextensible joints" if he does infact have them contibute to his propensity to leave the game, and ability to bounce back.

I did a pubmed search just to see if there have been any cases of somebody being in truth "double jointed" or having 2 where there should only be one. I think that in order for that to happen, you need to have some form of very serious malformation, but i still can't find any cases outside of conjoined twins.

CamelCityAppFan
November 8th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Could you describe to this medically illiterate lawyer what being double jointed means?

Whaddaya mean medically illiterate lawyer? xeyebrowx

Just kidding. I come from a family of lawyers...skipped me. xwhistlex

james_lawfirm
November 8th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Whaddaya mean medically illiterate lawyer? xeyebrowx

Just kidding. I come from a family of lawyers...skipped me. xwhistlex

Har, har. Just mean I don't know squat about medicine.

james_lawfirm
November 8th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Being double jointed only means being hyperextensible or hypermobile in a certain joint. There are a bunch of things that cause it.
1. Congenital Anomolies
2. In-born errors of metabolism
3. Defective or altered collagen synthesis
4. Unusual bone articulations
5. Unilateral weakness, aplasia or agenesis of isolated tendons or ligaments.

Things that can be associated with being overly double jointed for the reasons listed above.
1. Ehlos-Danler's Syndrome
2. Mitral Valve Prolapse
3. Cervical Insufficiency
4. AV malformations and Berry Aneurisms
5. Renal Clear Cell Carcinoma
6. Arthritis

BUT...i don't know if Gary's "hyperextensible joints" if he does infact have them contibute to his propensity to leave the game, and ability to bounce back.

I did a pubmed search just to see if there have been any cases of somebody being in truth "double jointed" or having 2 where there should only be one. I think that in order for that to happen, you need to have some form of very serious malformation, but i still can't find any cases outside of conjoined twins.

Thanks - I think.