PDA

View Full Version : Want A Real Coach?

GSU 25+yrFan
November 7th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Take a look at #1 & #3, #4 is not bad either. #3 has a former GSU Defensive Coordinator as his Coordinator.

http://deepsouthsports.blogspot.com/

MaximumBobcat
November 7th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Take a look at #1 & #3, #4 is not bad either. #3 has a former GSU Defensive Coordinator as his Coordinator.

http://deepsouthsports.blogspot.com/

DII version of Steve Spurrier? I know he meant that as a compliment, but ouch.

Grizzaholic
November 7th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Had nice things to say about Bobby.

Grizaholic17
November 7th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I like Bobby Hauck, and he is finding his way...but the mention of Joe Glenn just brings me back to good days!!! What a great coach he was...for however short it was.

mvemjsunpx
November 7th, 2007, 07:02 PM
This was a good assessment, but 2 minor quibbles:

1. Bobby Hauck was born in Missoula (so he's technically a Missoula native), but he grew up in Big Timber (graduated from Sweet Grass HS).

2. Though Joe Glenn's record at Wyoming isn't stellar, it's still much better than it was the few years before he got there.

Kill'em
November 7th, 2007, 09:10 PM
It would have been interesting to see what Montana would have done had Glenn stayed there longer.

nevadagriz
November 7th, 2007, 09:24 PM
It would have been interesting if glenn had stayed for sure.
His biggest test would have been the 2003 season , he left the cupboard pretty bare for hauck and staff. people don't realize that was a very good job of coaching by hauck to get the griz to the record they had in 2003 and 2004. glenn was a decent coach but too much of a snake-oil salesman for me. I hope when bobby leaves he does it in a better manner then Glenn.

Quick side note Glenn was supposed to interview for the Utah job but bad weather prevented it, leading him to take the wyoming job and some guy named urban myers to get the utah job!xeyebrowx

Grizalltheway
November 7th, 2007, 09:42 PM
It would have been interesting if glenn had stayed for sure.
His biggest test would have been the 2003 season , he left the cupboard pretty bare for hauck and staff. people don't realize that was a very good job of coaching by hauck to get the griz to the record they had in 2003 and 2004. glenn was a decent coach but too much of a snake-oil salesman for me. I hope when bobby leaves he does it in a better manner then Glenn.

Quick side note Glenn was supposed to interview for the Utah job but bad weather prevented it, leading him to take the wyoming job and some guy named urban myers to get the utah job!xeyebrowx

Given the circumstances of his Stanford interview last year, I wouldn't count on it. xtwocentsx

McNeese_beat
November 7th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I know it's early, but Matt Viator is 15-2, has won the autobid both years as head coach and before the end of the year will probably win a second straight conference title. He also won a state championship as a prep coach before going to the college ranks and he's only in his early 40s.

He should be on these kind of lists pretty soon...

appfan2008
November 8th, 2007, 09:37 AM
do gsu fans think hatcher will move on soon to the bcs like this says... or will he stay with you

trusty
November 8th, 2007, 09:52 AM
do gsu fans think hatcher will move on soon to the bcs like this says... or will he stay with you

Well I can say this fan thinks it will happen within 3 years. It wont be this year, however, some rumor was started at Georgia Tech that he was mentioned. I think he will be with us again next year. With how our program has turned around under him from last year (Playoffs this year we hope) something more next, then I bet someone is going to come knocking. I hope we do something that will want him to stay longer. He likes it here and really wanted to be there, last year and this year. I believe the story is Coach Hatcher called and left messages that he was intrested in the job last year and our Idiot AD did not return the call, hired another idiot for the job, and we all know what happened. Maybe we can keep Hatcher and get rid of our AD.

ButlerGSU
November 8th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Hatcher turned down offers from I-A programs such as Rice while at Valdosta State. Honestly, I believe he likes southern Georgia. I believe he will stay for a few years, however if he wins a NC or two -look for him to move on.

GSU 25+yrFan
November 8th, 2007, 10:23 AM

I think he will spend at least a total of 4 to 5 years at GSU. He is only 34 years old, still young for most large school AD's to hire. Some coaches would like to see their first recruiting class graduate and Hatcher is one of the good guy coaches, reminds me a lot of Erk Russell with the offensive brains & strategy of Paul Johnson. One of the try good old southern boys, shucks he even drives the one of old school buses to the stadium on game day, a tradition that Erk started but Erk didn’t drive a bus.

GSU 25+yrFan
November 8th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Hatcher turned down offers from I-A programs such as Rice while at Valdosta State. Honestly, I believe he likes southern Georgia. I believe he will stay for a few years, however if he wins a NC or two -look for him to move on.

He interviewed for the Rice job and was in the airport coming back to Georgia with our AD called. Later that night Sam drove to Hatcher's house, met in his kitchen and he took the GSU job. I understand he turned down the OC job Bobby offered him a FSU too.

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 8th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I met Hatcher about a month after he was hired. He pulled one of our other coaches over and told me a story I'll never forget. Hatcher and the other coach told me of their days at Valdosta. Hatcher was QB and the other coach (can't remember his name off the top of my head but he was a lineman at VSU) were teammates and roommates. They had a copy of the video tape "Erk Russell: Miracle Worker". They watched the tape so much it stopped working. One of their buddies went to GSU and when the championship game was @ Paulson, they came down and stayed with their buddy and went to the game. They watched it in the grass right by the fence and as Southern won, they hopped the fence and rushed the field.

Hatcher has always wanted to coach at Georgia Southern. I think he will be here for a couple more National Championships and then who knows. 2011 isn't that far off... xsmiley_wix

grizbeer
November 8th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I think Brian Kelly was a finalist at Montana when Bobby got the job - that would have been interesting as well. Big knock on him here was could he recruit the west.

straightshooter
November 8th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Actually it's Brian Kelly who has former GSU Defensive Coordinator Joe Tressey in the same position at Cincinnati.

Kill'em
November 8th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I heard Coach Hatcher mention he has always loved Erk and Georgia Southern. He actually wanted to play for Erk at Georgia Southern but was never offered a scholarship. It makes sense, it's hard to be an option QB when you are a passer who can't run a lick. Erk was his coaching idol. When he got into coaching, he wanted to coach like Erk did, essentially being honest with his players and making them want to play for him. Georgia Southern is his dream job. Of course, if he fulfills his goals here and s bigger program offers something he couldn't refuse, then he is gone.

BlazerDawg
November 8th, 2007, 09:22 PM
There certainly isn't much to argue with there. Paul Johnson would be freaky scary at place where he could really recruit.

Brian Kelly had an absolute machine at D-II Grand Valley that is still rolling.

Of course, I'm very partial to Chris Hatcher.

ButlerGSU
November 8th, 2007, 10:59 PM
There certainly isn't much to argue with there. Paul Johnson would be freaky scary at place where he could really recruit.

Brian Kelly had an absolute machine at D-II Grand Valley that is still rolling.

Of course, I'm very partial to Chris Hatcher.

You know Hatcher well, how long do you think we can keep him?

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2007, 11:08 PM
let him win with his own players first before we start putting laurels on his head. Right now he's making it happen with a phenomenal Sewak recruit and a bunch of I-A transfers.

Don't get me wrong. He's a very very good coach. I thought he should have been the choice over Van Gorder to begin with. But let's give him a few more games before we dub him the second coming of Erk Russel.

Also, why are we talking about the "deepsouthsports" blog anyway? That could very possibly be some guy living in his mother's basement.