PDA

View Full Version : Can NDSU overtake UNI in the AGS and SN polls

Thunderstruck84
November 7th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Seeing as how UNI's lead in both the SN and AGS poll isn't too substantial and in the last two weeks of the year NDSU is playing two tough opponents on the road and UNI is playing two weak opponents at home.

With the big if NDSU wins out and the very little if (more like when) UNI wins out can NDSU leapfrong UNI before the playoffs.

Under those circumstances I think both teams resume's will be very similar, just curious as to what others who are more familiar with the intricacies, or should I say eccentricities, of the polls or even the pollsters think.

Note: I'm not trying to get into a pissfest about who is better, just asking if a jump is possible.

ysubigred
November 7th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Seeing as how UNI's lead in both the SN and AGS poll isn't too substantial and in the last two weeks of the year NDSU is playing two tough opponents on the road and UNI is playing two weak opponents at home.

With the big if NDSU wins out and the very little if (more like when) UNI wins out can NDSU leapfrong UNI before the playoffs.

Under those circumstances I think both teams resume's will be very similar, just curious as to what others who are more familiar with the intricacies, or should I say eccentricities, of the polls or even the pollsters think.

Note: I'm not trying to get into a pissfest about who is better, just asking if a jump is possible.

Don't see it happening because your not playoff eligible. Your team will be #2 at the end of the season behind who ever win's it all in Nooga xbowx

Now "IF" you all did get to play UNI or who ever in the top 5 at the FCS I'd put my $$ on NDSU xthumbsupx See you next year in the GFC xpeacex

89Hen
November 7th, 2007, 09:37 AM
No chance.

Thunderstruck84
November 7th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Don't see it happening because your not playoff eligible. Your team will be #2 at the end of the season behind who ever win's it all in Nooga xbowx

Now "IF" you all did get to play UNI or who ever in the top 5 at the FCS I'd put my $$ on NDSU xthumbsupx See you next year in the GFC xpeacex
I'm looking forward to starting up some fresh rivalries next year in the Gateway xthumbsupx. And to being playoff eligible finally.

I know that there's no way NDSU finishes the season at #1 but I'm wondering if they could be at #1 in the AGS and SN polls when the playoffs start.

Purple For Life
November 7th, 2007, 09:52 AM
No.

Go Bison
November 7th, 2007, 09:59 AM
As a Bison fan I will be happy to finish undefeated on the year and look forward to next year. To me it doesn't matter where NDSU finishes in the poll. The last two years have been fun and looking forward to the Gateway and the chance for playoffs.

Thunderstruck84
November 7th, 2007, 10:06 AM
As a Bison fan I will be happy to finish undefeated on the year and look forward to next year. To me it doesn't matter where NDSU finishes in the poll. The last two years have been fun and looking forward to the Gateway and the chance for playoffs.
I agree, can't ask for anything more than what we've gotten so far this year. Except maybe a playoff bid xsmiley_wix

OhioHen
November 7th, 2007, 10:11 AM

As a general rule, I will not bump a team over another team previously ranked ahead of them for a win (or series of wins) if the other team doesn't lose. xtwocentsx

Unless something REALLY amazing happens, no team currently behind NDSU on my ballot will move ahead of them by winning the National Championship. Only teams already ahead of NDSU can be my #1 by winning the title. NDSU certainly has a chance to get my top vote at year's end.

Barnstormer
November 7th, 2007, 10:12 AM
It's possible I suppose. The next two weeks we have a chance to rest some folks if possible. So I could see us kicking some butt in the frist half of some games then resting some key folks so the final scores may not look all that dominating..

It depends I guess on the people who vote take that kind of stuff into account or do they just look at final scores/records?

Thunderstruck84
November 7th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Unless something REALLY amazing happens, no team currently behind NDSU on my ballot will move ahead of them by winning the National Championship. Only teams already ahead of NDSU can be my #1 by winning the title. NDSU certainly has a chance to get my top vote at year's end.
Interesting, I would think you would be in the vast minority there as far as keeping NDSU above the (potential) national champion ranked below them. I respect your honesty about that decision though and appreciate the respect that your #1 vote would show to the Bison.

Syntax Error
November 7th, 2007, 11:01 AM
As a general rule, I will not bump a team over another team previously ranked ahead of them for a win (or series of wins) if the other team doesn't lose. xtwocentsx
Unless something REALLY amazing happens, no team currently behind NDSU on my ballot will move ahead of them by winning the National Championship. Only teams already ahead of NDSU can be my #1 by winning the title. NDSU certainly has a chance to get my top vote at year's end.UNI plays a conference team and an NDSU conference team. So I don't think they will fall in the polls if they win out.

As for a non-playoff team being #1 after the championship game, after the team wins it after beating four playoff teams in a row, it would be a mistake to vote the non-playoff team #1. Especially if that non-playoff team had not played a playoff team all year.

Stang Fever
November 7th, 2007, 11:47 AM
The only reason NDSU is not number 1 is because they are not playoff eligible

Syntax Error
November 7th, 2007, 11:48 AM
The only reason NDSU is not number 1 is because they are not playoff eligibleAnd their schedule or something... computer #1 ranks: UNI (24), NDSU (8)

Thunderstruck84
November 7th, 2007, 12:03 PM
And their schedule or something... computer #1 ranks: UNI (24), NDSU (8)
That's what I mean though, schedule strength is going to even out a lot in the next couple weeks with UNI playing Indiana St and Southern Utah, both at home, and NDSU playing Cal Poly and SDSU, both on the road.

D1B
November 7th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Would be a great triple for the Gateway:

NDSU #1 in final reg. season poll
UNI - National Champions
SIU - National Championship runner up.

xcoffeex

Grizzaholic
November 7th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't think so if they both win out. Maybe if NDSU wins big in their two games and UNI scrapes by with something like 5-3, and 3-0 wins.

Syntax Error
November 7th, 2007, 12:28 PM
That's what I mean though, schedule strength is going to even out a lot in the next couple weeks with UNI playing Indiana St and Southern Utah, both at home, and NDSU playing Cal Poly and SDSU, both on the road.Well NDSU already has a slight edge in one computer SOS:

MASSEY

2007 Northern Iowa Panthers (9-0)
Cedar Falls, IA
PF-PA: 288-121
Per Game: 32.0-13.4
Date Opponent W L Result PF PA Note
179 Sat 11/03/07 at Missouri St 5 5 W 38 17
133 Sat 10/27/07 Youngstown St 6 4 W 14 13
120 Sat 10/20/07 at W Illinois 6 4 W 42 3
78 Sat 10/13/07 S Illinois 8 1 W 30 24
194 Sat 09/29/07 at Illinois St 4 6 W 23 13
307 Sat 09/22/07 at Drake 6 4 W 45 7
113 Sat 09/15/07 at S Dakota St 5 4 W 31 17
110 Sat 09/08/07 at Iowa St 2 8 W 24 13
200 Thu 08/30/07 MN Mankato 4 6 W 41 14
434 Sat 11/10/07 Indiana St 0 10 -- 0 0
267 Sat 11/17/07 Southern Utah 0 9 -- 0 0
194 avg

2007 North Dakota State Bison (9-0)
Fargo, ND
PF-PA: 380-188
Per Game: 42.2-20.9
Date Opponent W L Result PF PA Note
194 Sat 11/03/07 Illinois St 4 6 W 54 28
267 Sat 10/27/07 Southern Utah 0 9 W 52 17
150 Sat 10/20/07 at Minnesota 1 9 W 27 21
335 Sat 10/13/07 at MS Valley St 2 7 W 58 7
192 Sat 10/06/07 UC Davis 4 6 W 35 16
120 Sat 09/29/07 at W Illinois 6 4 W 41 28
75 Sat 09/22/07 at C Michigan 5 4 W 44 14
158 Sat 09/15/07 Sam Houston St 5 4 W 41 38
302 Sat 09/08/07 SF Austin 0 9 W 28 19
142 Sat 11/10/07 at Cal Poly SLO 6 3 -- 0 0
113 Sat 11/17/07 at S Dakota St 5 4 -- 0 0
186 avg

appfan2008
November 7th, 2007, 12:33 PM
i dont think it will happen... too many people wont vote you first only because you are not eligible...

No_Skill
November 7th, 2007, 12:38 PM
If UNI and NDSU both win out, at the end of the regular season I see UNI #1 in the media and AGS polls and NDSU #1 in the coaches poll (although it wouldn't surprise me if UNI was #1). After the playoffs I see NDSU no better than #3 in any of the final polls.

TheValleyRaider
November 7th, 2007, 12:55 PM
If UNI and NDSU both win out, at the end of the regular season I see UNI #1 in the media and AGS polls and NDSU #1 in the coaches poll (although it wouldn't surprise me if UNI was #1). After the playoffs I see NDSU no better than #3 in any of the final polls.

That'd be my guess as to what happens. If UNI wins out, they'll be #1, maybe even in the coaches poll, and most likely the #1 seed in the tournament. After the playoffs, I'd see the two Championship game participants as 1-2, with an undefeated Bison team as #3.

No shame in finishing Top 3 in this system xpeacex

Syntax Error
November 7th, 2007, 01:02 PM
If UNI and NDSU both win out, at the end of the regular season I see UNI #1 in the media and AGS polls and NDSU #1 in the coaches poll ...Yeah, the coaches poll has some real problems.

Retro
November 7th, 2007, 01:59 PM

So, your saying if Mcneese or Montana wins it all and is undefeated, they won't be #1 in your eyes.. Even though they'd gone through the playoff system?

That's why in the FCS, the National Champion is determined on the field.. It doesn't matter who is voted #1 in the AGS, TSN or Coaches poll, because not of that matters in the end..

If the coaches vote NDSU #1 at the end of the playoffs over the national campion, then they are only diluting their own playoff system by no acknowledging the the #1 team, even though it was crowned on the field..

At the same time, If Mcneese, Montana and UNI all make it to the final 4 and 2 of them to the finals, i would have to believe that the top 3 would include those three teams as well, even with 1 loss, unless it was a blowout maybe..

Mountain Panther
November 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM

You can have #1. Just give me the #1 seed in the playoffs.

Syntax Error
November 7th, 2007, 02:03 PM
The coaches poll ends with the regular season

Thunderstruck84
November 7th, 2007, 02:06 PM
There's no doubt that NDSU will fall in the final poll after the playoffs, how far is the only thing that remains to be seen. Just ask the '06 Michigan football team, once your out of sight your out of mind and you lose by not playing.

OhioHen
November 7th, 2007, 02:26 PM
So, your saying if Mcneese or Montana wins it all and is undefeated, they won't be #1 in your eyes.. Even though they'd gone through the playoff system?

Does my original message say that I don't have McNeese and/or Montana rated ahead of NDSU right now? xnonox xrulesx xreadx xscanx (In the spirit of fairness, it also doesn't say that I do have one or both of those teams ahead of the Bison).

If Fordham runs the table in the playoffs, will everyone vote them #1? The poll should reflect what each voter believesto be the best team based on results. I will not automatically vote the winner of the December 14 game in Chattanooga #1 if I believe an undefeated team not involved in the playoffs is stronger. xtwocentsx

I love that our championship is decided on the field, but it pains me to know that several of the best potential teams will not have a chance to participate in the process.

Retro
November 7th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Does my original message say that I don't have McNeese and/or Montana rated ahead of NDSU right now? xnonox xrulesx xreadx xscanx (In the spirit of fairness, it also doesn't say that I do have one or both of those teams ahead of the Bison).

If Fordham runs the table in the playoffs, will everyone vote them #1? The poll should reflect what each voter believesto be the best team based on results. I will not automatically vote the winner of the December 14 game in Chattanooga #1 if I believe an undefeated team not involved in the playoffs is stronger. xtwocentsx

I love that our championship is decided on the field, but it pains me to know that several of the best potential teams will not have a chance to participate in the process.

Who are these several teams? Only NDSU has shown on the field that they could win it all, if they are eligible... Of course people have to remember, that the reason they are not eligible is because the NCAA wants to allow them time to have athletes Div I eligible and although they probably do by now or very close, there may be some issues if a waiver were to be granted, which it won't.. Nor was it for UCA...

Next year there will be no debate..

NDB
November 7th, 2007, 02:46 PM
The FCS Champion is crowned in Chattanooga.

The best FCS team in the country, that is almost always up for debate.

Right now, the consensus is that UNI and NDSU are the two best.

Some might still argue that NDSU is the best team in the country in six weeks. Either (1) these people are morons or (2) we have an absolutely goofy and likely bad run of playoff games.

blur2005
November 7th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Considering the way the coach's poll operates, I wouldn't be surprised to see Montana at #1 at the end of the season, even if the Griz lose long before Chattanooga.

SeattleGriz
November 7th, 2007, 03:39 PM
No, there is really no way to get a true grasp of how good NDSU is, they won't have faced any playoff level teams this year.

If you beat Cal Poly, they won't make the playoffs. If you lose, then you have a loss. Stinker of a catch 22 eh?

Everyone who wins in the first round will have beaten a playoff team, and that is one more team than NDSU will have beaten.

Panther FANatic
November 7th, 2007, 03:40 PM

Will NDSU really be ranked #2 at the end of the year after the National Championship?? I find that hard to believe as they will not have played as many games as the runners-up etc...

McNeese_beat
November 7th, 2007, 03:43 PM
The coaches poll ends with the regular season

According to the SoCon office, there is a post-season coaches poll. Coaches are under no obligation to vote for the national champion as #1, though, as the NDSU fan said earlier, one would think that many currently voting for NDSU would feel compelled to switch their votes.

Thunderstruck84
November 7th, 2007, 03:56 PM
No, there is really no way to get a true grasp of how good NDSU is, they won't have faced any playoff level teams this year.

If you beat Cal Poly, they won't make the playoffs. If you lose, then you have a loss. Stinker of a catch 22 eh?

Everyone who wins in the first round will have beaten a playoff team, and that is one more team than NDSU will have beaten.
That's true, measuring the final 2 or 4 playoff teams against the Bison will be very difficult but I think the final regular season polls have a chance to get tight since NDSU should be able to shed at least some of the "who have they played?" sentiment with these next couple games.

Consequently, CMU is going to be a mid to low-tier bowl team and IMO, beating them is just as impressive as beating a FCS playoff team.

lizrdgizrd
November 7th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Consequently, CMU is going to be a mid to low-tier bowl team and IMO, beating them is just as impressive as beating a FCS playoff team.
That may be a fair comparison. The only problem is that the top 4 teams will have at least 2 wins over playoff caliber teams vs your 1. xpeacex

Thunderstruck84
November 7th, 2007, 04:22 PM
That may be a fair comparison. The only problem is that the top 4 teams will have at least 2 wins over playoff caliber teams vs your 1. xpeacex
UNI will have 1 (SIU), Montana will have maybe 1 (EWU and that's a maybe), McNeese will have none. Whoever gets the 4th seed (Delaware, ASU, GSU, UMass, Richmond) will probably have 2 but that's the only top 4 seed to have more that 1 win against playoff teams. Am I misunderstanding what you meant by playoff caliber?

OldTiredGriz
November 7th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I'm looking forward to this weekend...so many tough games on tap; UMASS - UNH, Delaware - Richmond, Delaware State - Norfolk, NDSU - Cal Poly and some more that I am missing....NDSU has already made a huge statement this season, but wins over Cal Poly and SDSU (who is not ranked but is a really good team and will be fired up for the season finale) would really serve notice about the team's strength. But I think that the finalists in Chatty will be the final ranked #1 and #2 teams.

skinny_uncle
November 7th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Would be a great triple for the Gateway:

NDSU #1 in final reg. season poll
UNI - National Champions
SIU - National Championship runner up.

xcoffeex
That would mean a matchup in Chattanooga rather than in that DOME.
I would look forward to that one.

http://t1.imagechef.com/ic/imgout/sampb91c452a806361b5.jpg

Syntax Error
November 7th, 2007, 05:10 PM
According to the SoCon office, there is a post-season coaches poll. Coaches are under no obligation to vote for the national champion as #1, though, as the NDSU fan said earlier, one would think that many currently voting for NDSU would feel compelled to switch their votes.Their press release says
The FCS Coaches Poll will be released beginning August 20 (pre-season poll) and will continue through the end of the regular season. The last poll will be released on November 19, the Monday prior to the first round of the FCS championship playoffs which start November 24.http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=86566

I didn't see anything that would suggest that has changed. You got a link?

skinny_uncle
November 7th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I don't see UNI losing their ranking since they are not going to lose a game. You normally have to lose to move down in the rankings.

THE HERD
November 7th, 2007, 05:14 PM
UNI plays a conference team and an NDSU conference team. So I don't think they will fall in the polls if they win out.

As for a non-playoff team being #1 after the championship game, after the team wins it after beating four playoff teams in a row, it would be a mistake to vote the non-playoff team #1. Especially if that non-playoff team had not played a playoff team all year.Yes we did not play a playoff team this year, but we beat the crap out of FBS Central Michigan who is the MAC Champion again this year. I believe they are 5-0 in the MAC and we beat them 44-14, plus we beat Minnesota who is not real good this year, but they are still a Big Ten team. So please don't bring that not playing a playoff team crap out. Personally the polls don't matter to me either and the champion on the field in Nooga is the real champion, but we could sure be voted number one in the final polls before the playoffs. Either way it doesn't matter, because I know the Bison can play with anyone in the FCS. Whoever does win the NC on the field would have all they can handle if they played the Bison. I believe the Bison would win, but I will not claim any mythical titles, the team that wins it on the field is the real champion. So, again don't pull out the no playoff team BS.xnonox

Grizaholic17
November 7th, 2007, 05:16 PM

don't really care...you aren't in the playoffs because you signed an agreement when stepping up to the FCS that made you dormant for a couple years....so too bad for you. (btw: not in the best mood today...sorry!)

THE HERD
November 7th, 2007, 05:32 PM
don't really care...you aren't in the playoffs because you signed an agreement when stepping up to the FCS that made you dormant for a couple years....so too bad for you. (btw: not in the best mood today...sorry!)Lucky for you were not eligible! I'm not in a good mood today either.xnonono2x

Grizaholic17
November 7th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Lucky for you were not eligible! I'm not in a good mood today either.xnonono2x

Why? are you one of those people that makes stupid predictions that you would beat any team that comes across you? That's only for us griz fans. Not for you yet

Syntax Error
November 7th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Yes we did not play a playoff team this year ... So please don't bring that not playing a playoff team crap out. ... So, again don't pull out the no playoff team BS.Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. xrolleyesx Facts are hard to dispute. xrulesx

McNeese_beat
November 7th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Their press release sayshttp://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=86566

I didn't see anything that would suggest that has changed. You got a link?

No, I was actually told this by the guy who administers the polls for the SoCon...

I was working on a story on just that possibility, so I called.

X-Factor
November 7th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. xrolleyesx Facts are hard to dispute. xrulesx

Yeah I guess you could say that if the Bison run the table, but that would also mean that we prevented a few teams from making the playoffs that could have been eligible without a BISON loss. Cal Poly, WIU for example.

We also crushed the 2 time MAC West champion Central Michigan. They are already guaranteed a bowl game even with 2 games still to play.

You make it sound like we didn't play anybody all year and that simply isn't true.

Hansel
November 7th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Wouldn't surprise to see pollsters leave NDSU out of their polls completely to avoid this scenario happening xwhistlex

SeattleGriz
November 7th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Yes we did not play a playoff team this year, but we beat the crap out of FBS Central Michigan who is the MAC Champion again this year. I believe they are 5-0 in the MAC and we beat them 44-14, plus we beat Minnesota who is not real good this year, but they are still a Big Ten team. So please don't bring that not playing a playoff team crap out. Personally the polls don't matter to me either and the champion on the field in Nooga is the real champion, but we could sure be voted number one in the final polls before the playoffs. Either way it doesn't matter, because I know the Bison can play with anyone in the FCS. Whoever does win the NC on the field would have all they can handle if they played the Bison. I believe the Bison would win, but I will not claim any mythical titles, the team that wins it on the field is the real champion. So, again don't pull out the no playoff team BS.xnonox

Hope you don't mind I took the bold off.

The point isn't that NDSU isn't good. We all know they are, and the current polls suggest that. The point is that since NDSU can't participate in the playoffs, we will have no real way to determine where they sit. Especially since they haven't faced any teams that will make the playoffs.

As for the FBS wins, they were great, and we all pulled for you, but they don't play in our playoffs either, so we don't know how good they are either.

Essentially, we can't compare apples to apples when trying to decide where NDSU should truly fall.

Syntax Error
November 7th, 2007, 07:18 PM
We also crushed the 2 time MAC West champion Central Michigan. They are already guaranteed a bowl game even with 2 games still to play.:) A bowl game plus $2 will get me a cup of coffee. xlolx Really, no one is putting NDSU down, just fans who think they are the best and champions when they haven't proven it. It's simple, you can't do that in FCS.

Mountain Panther
November 7th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I don't see UNI losing their ranking since they are not going to lose a game. You normally have to lose to move down in the rankings.

Or you could win and move down in the rankings, like Montana. xrolleyesx

Retro
November 7th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Yeah I guess you could say that if the Bison run the table, but that would also mean that we prevented a few teams from making the playoffs that could have been eligible without a BISON loss. Cal Poly, WIU for example.

We also crushed the 2 time MAC West champion Central Michigan. They are already guaranteed a bowl game even with 2 games still to play.

You make it sound like we didn't play anybody all year and that simply isn't true.

OK, I have to draw the line here. We all know NDSU beat CMU, but let's be real here. It's the MAC, maybe a step above the Sun belt.. Being a champion in the MAC is not much to scream about either.. Did you watch that game last night.. The top 15 FCS teams could beat CMU.

CMU's record is 6-4! Yes, 6-4.. All conference wins againest teams with
.500 or worse records.. All loses were blowouts, to Clemson, Kansas and Purdue along with NDSU.. All in all, a good win, but nothing to scream too loud about..xnonox

In fact App's win is much more impressive as Michigan will end up in the top 20 and a bowl game and could still win the BIG TEN, yet app state has 2 loses, so even with a FBS win, it doesn't automatically put you on a better platform.

Finally, it doesn't matter if NDSU is ranked #1 at the end of the season.. The only thing that matters is who wins in chatty! That's the champion of the FCS whether anyone votes for them or not.. No one will remember the poll a few years from now.. They are irrelevent once the champion is crowned.

MplsBison
November 7th, 2007, 07:27 PM
If NDSU wins the next two weeks, no doubt they'll be #1 in the coaches' poll.

No_Skill
November 7th, 2007, 07:43 PM
OK, I have to draw the line here. We all know NDSU beat CMU, but let's be real here. It's the MAC, maybe a step above the Sun belt.. Being a champion in the MAC is not much to scream about either.. Did you watch that game last night.. The top 15 FCS teams could beat CMU.

.500 or worse records.. All loses were blowouts, to Clemson, Kansas and Purdue along with NDSU.. All in all, a good win, but nothing to scream too loud about..xnonox

In fact App's win is much more impressive as Michigan will end up in the top 20 and a bowl game and could still win the BIG TEN, yet app state has 2 loses, so even with a FBS win, it doesn't automatically put you on a better platform.

Finally, it doesn't matter if NDSU is ranked #1 at the end of the season.. The only thing that matters is who wins in chatty! That's the champion of the FCS whether anyone votes for them or not.. No one will remember the poll a few years from now.. They are irrelevent once the champion is crowned.

It may not matter to you, but to some NDSU fans who can't see their team compete in the playoffs...it does.

Thunderstruck84
November 7th, 2007, 08:02 PM

I concur with No_Skill, the polls may not matter much to all the teams and fans who have playoffs to look forward to but for those of us who don't we care greatly about the polls since that is the only way NDSU can be compared to the other great teams in the FCS.

People who continually put the MAC down obviously haven't paid much attention to it, it's not the Big 10 but it took SIU 2 tds in the last 61 seconds including an onsides kick to beat Northern Illinois (1-8 and yet to win a game in the MAC). Kent State, who's in last place in the MAC East, trounced Delaware State 38-7 for their only loss of the year. I guarantee the MAC will put more players in the pros this year than any conference in the FCS, I realize that doesn't necessarily translate into being better teams but better talent from top to bottom means it's a better league.

And I realize that NDSU is not playoff eligible and will not finish #1 in the postseason polls. My inquiry was strictly pertaining to the end of the regular season, could NDSU garner enough consideration to be the #1 team in the AGS and SN polls? It looks like the consensus says no, which is understandably logical. It's too bad though, I guess the Bison picked the wrong season to go undefeated :( (That's if they finish undefeated, no offense intended to the good folks at Cal Poly and SDSU xpeacex)

Gil Dobie
November 7th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Did you watch that game last night.. The top 15 FCS teams could beat CMU.

SIU beat a 1-8 Northern Illinois 34-31. I would only bet on about 5 teams in FCS beating CMU.

FargoBison
November 7th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Beating a 6-4 FBS team 44-14 is a pretty damn good win, I don't care if they are MAC or whatever. NDSU beat them on the road like Kansas, Purdue, and Clemson beat them at home....those teams have a combined record of 23-4. That is saying something and in my book is as good as any win over a playoff team.

X-Factor
November 7th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Beating a 6-4 FBS team 44-14 is a pretty damn good win, I don't care if they are MAC or whatever. NDSU beat them on the road like Kansas, Purdue, and Clemson beat them at home....those teams have a combined record of 32-4. That is saying something and in my book is as good as any win over a playoff team.

fixed it for ya! xthumbsupx

Appguy
November 7th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I just dont understand why NDSU cant overtake them, they should have when they beat a second FBS school. not only that but they have a common opponent (Illinois State) which NDSU rolled by like 30 and UNI beat by 10.
to me its clear who is better.

FCS Go!
November 7th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I just dont understand why NDSU cant overtake them, they should have when they beat a second FBS school. not only that but they have a common opponent (Illinois State) which NDSU rolled by like 30 and UNI beat by 10.

I can't get the SFA & Sam Houston St games out of my head when I think of NDSU. Barely beating a sucky team at home only works for the Griz. ;) For anyone else it creates too many doubts. I think all this may be moot anyway. NdSU has two tough games coming against a desperate playoff bubble team and the best 4 loss team in FCS.

RabidRabbit
November 7th, 2007, 10:38 PM
At the end of the regular season, UNI and NDSU will have played four common opponents, 3 in like situations. SDSU at Brookings, SUU played at home domes, and WIU played at Macomb. Only different situation was Ill St.

NDSU plays two FBS teams, with wins, and no D-II's or non-schollies, like Drake.

UNI will get a run at the title, and they could fall in the first round.

Montana will be undefeated, but their GPI reflects their Big Fluffy scheduling, which is likely to bring them down prior to the Chatty game.

McNeese could also go undefeated, and is underappreciated playing in the Southland, kind of like the Big Fluffy.

The two ineligible xDSU's dominated the Great West this year, and the SoCon and CAA beat up on each other.

EKU hasn't lost to an FCS team this season. Nor has Del St. or Grambling.

Yale's undefeated also. But Grambling, Yale won't get the chance to prove that they are the best of the FCS, and join the Bison come play-off time.

NDSU, IF they manage to win in SLO and Brookings, demonstrate a #1 team with a potent schedule that is stronger than UNI, UMass, JMU, SIU, McNeese, and Montana. However, if they haven't achieved #1 to date, beating SDSU and Cal Poly away isn't going to change those voters. The big change over game for the Bison was beating MN, and it's been swinging against them since then.

McNeese_beat
November 7th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I can't get the SFA & Sam Houston St games out of my head when I think of NDSU. Barely beating a sucky team at home only works for the Griz. ;) For anyone else it creates too many doubts. I think all this may be moot anyway. NdSU has two tough games coming against a desperate playoff bubble team and the best 4 loss team in FCS.

When you play a team matters. Michigan played App. State with a healthy Armanti Edwards. If Edwards stays healthy, App might be 9-0 and we wouldn't be sitting here talking about NDSU being No. 1 at the end of the year because App. would probably be the unanimous #1.

When Illinois State lost to Northern Iowa 23-13, ISU was 1-0 in the Gateway and probably feeling like they could take UNI at home and it would more than offset the season-opening loss to Drake. By the time ISU played NDSU, ISU was probably demoralized and sort of playing out the string. Your situation may not affect how you come out to play the game, but it will affect how you respond to adversity. When the UNI came got tough, ISU probably fought back with their best shot because they had a lot to play for. I would bet when the NDSU games started to slip away, there was some shrugging of the shoulders and some "here we go again."

Similarly, when NDSU played SFA and Sam Houston, it was early. SFA was coming off the shocking OT loss to Tarleton State (which, by the way, is now 9-1), but SFA still had a lot of good seniors, was still confident and still playing hard. But that was the week they kicked their all-conference linebacker off the team. Before long they benched their senior 3-year starting QB and by the time McNeese saw them, they were a different team.

Same with Sam Houston. When NDSU played them, they were 2-0, ranked and feeling good about themselves. After they lost that game in the closing seconds, they got drilled at Okie State and they had lost some swagger when they came to Lake Charles and McNeese handled them. If SHSU doesn't let NDSU score that winning touchdown, it may be a little bit of a tougher SHSU team that comes to Lake Charles.

My point? Just because NDSU beat Illinois State worse than UNI did doesn't make NDSU superior to UNI. Just because McNeese blew out Sam (well, dominated in a 10-point win) and SFA and NDSU had more competitive games with them, doesn't mean McNeese is superior to NDSU. And just because App beat Michigan and Wofford beat App, doesn't mean that Wofford is better than Michigan.

OhioHen
November 8th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Who are these several teams? Only NDSU has shown on the field that they could win it all, if they are eligible...

NDSU, Grambling, Yale meet my criteria. I didn't say "could win it all." I said "participate in the process."

several of the best potential teams will not have a chance to participate in the process.

If we only included those teams who have "shown on the field that they could win it all," then it would make sense to only include about 6-8 teams most years. xtwocentsx

In the long run, any team could theoretically win it all. Any Given Saturday continues throughout the playoffs (except for the Friday games ;) ). Last week, Rhode Island showed that, given the right circumstances, they "could win it all" by beating Massachusetts who many considered a near lock for one of the seeds.

igo4uni
November 8th, 2007, 07:55 AM
It may not matter to you, but to some NDSU fans who can't see their team compete in the playoffs...it does.

That's got to be frustrating..........not being eligible for the playoffs. Especially with such a good team.

See you next year in the Gateway!!

By the way, I was in the fabulous UNI-Dome yesterday and noticed the Bison and Rabbitts logos displayed with the other Gateway schools.!!!

lizrdgizrd
November 8th, 2007, 08:50 AM
UNI will have 1 (SIU), Montana will have maybe 1 (EWU and that's a maybe), McNeese will have none. Whoever gets the 4th seed (Delaware, ASU, GSU, UMass, Richmond) will probably have 2 but that's the only top 4 seed to have more that 1 win against playoff teams. Am I misunderstanding what you meant by playoff caliber?
I'm saying the last 4 teams left in the playoffs will have already beaten at least 2 playoff teams to get there.

Khan4Cats
November 8th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Careful on that comparison. UNI won AT Normal, Illinois. The day was a lovely warm day, but had about a 20-25mph wind blowing straight from south to north on the field, caused the teams to have to play entirely differently depending on the direction they were going.

By the way, UNI and NDSU also played Western Illinois (both in Macomb, Illinois) with NDSU winning 41-28 and UNI winning 42-3.

In two weeks we will have two more common opponents to compare, with UNI playing SUU in the Dome (NDSU-SUU was in Fargo) and NDSU playing SDSU in Brookings (where UNI played earlier).

Keep in mind, what McNeese Beat said, there are different circumstances as well. UNI-SUU may feature a game of one team playing out the string while another is trying to simply tune up for play-offs. Mya factor into the outcome. SDSU-NDSU is a rivalry game and will likely also be the game for the conference title.

I would have loved to see a UNI-NDSU game this year. Would be a match-up of strength vs strength. NDSU rushing attack vs UNI rushing D. To be fairest, the game should probably be played on a grass field in the middle of nowhere so neither team has its usual "dome" surroundings. I'll still take UNI, I think our O would have success against their D to tip the game our way. But it would have been a great game.

Khan4Cats
November 8th, 2007, 09:26 AM
On the topic of the title of this thread. I think UNI's SOS will obviously drop some because of our next to opponents, but I don't think it will be enough to tip to NDSU even in the computer polls. The biggest thing that could happen would likely occur in the FBS ranks, where what Minnesota does (a few wins Gopher wins might really bump NDSU) or what an Iowa State does down the stretch. I say that, because UNI took a big jump in Sagarin in part due to Iowa State's win over K-State last week.
Otherwise, I agree with some posters have been saying, I think NDSU doesn't get some #1 votes simply due to the fact they can't make the playoffs this year.

Cap'n Cat
November 8th, 2007, 09:44 AM

UNI played ILSU at ILSU.
NDSU played ILSU at NDSU.

NDSU gave up 28 points at Western Illinois. UNI gave up 3 points and shut them out in the second half at Western Illinois.

Any of the Top Ten in FCS coulda beat Central Michigan.

Any of the Top Ten in FCS coulda beat Minnesota.

To me, it's clear who is better.

D1B
November 8th, 2007, 10:33 AM
UNI played ILSU at ILSU.

NDSU gave up 28 points at Western Illinois. UNI gave up 3 points and shut them out in the second half at Western Illinois.

xhomerx

Thunderstruck84
November 8th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I'm saying the last 4 teams left in the playoffs will have already beaten at least 2 playoff teams to get there.
Oh, I see what you meanxthumbsupx. I agree on that point, ranking NDSU at the end of the year is going to be very difficult. If things get goofy in the playoffs they could be ranked as high as two but they could fall as low as 5 maybe, although that's pretty unlikely. My opinion, with no factual basis, is they'll be #3.

Thunderstruck84
November 8th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Please don't start getting into the who is better debate. At this point in the season, no one side is going to convince the other that they are wrong.

Mountain Panther
November 8th, 2007, 11:32 AM
UNI played ILSU at ILSU.

And ILSU was FIRED UP to play UNI when we came to town as their playoff hopes were very much alive at the time. I doubt they had the same fire when they went to Fargo.

Cap'n Cat
November 8th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Please don't start getting into the who is better debate. At this point in the season, no one side is going to convince the other that they are wrong.

Thundercluck,
I was satirizing AppGuy's use of "who is better". Dude's obviously a headline reader and knows not of what he speaks.

Check above.

xeyebrowx

Go Bison
November 8th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Good points. Last year NDSU beat Cal Poly and by doing so kept Cal Poly from making the playoffs. Same thing will probably be true this year if NDSU wins.

I still think that NDSU's wins over FBS competition on the road are impressive. They are much better than beating a DII or non scholly team at home IMO.

In some ways this is how it had to happen because NDSU has struggled to get good teams to come to Fargo. The best alternative was to play a couple of FBS games and get some money that way. Plus getting on ESPN is pretty cool. xthumbsupx

Cap'n Cat
November 8th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Good points. Last year NDSU beat Cal Poly and by doing so kept Cal Poly from making the playoffs. Same thing will probably be true this year if NDSU wins.

I still think that NDSU's wins over FBS competition on the road are impressive. They are much better than beating a DII or non scholly team at home IMO.

In some ways this is how it had to happen because NDSU has struggled to get good teams to come to Fargo. The best alternative was to play a couple of FBS games and get some money that way. Plus getting on ESPN is pretty cool. xthumbsupx

Their I-A wins were impressive. Not unexpected, though.

No_Skill
November 8th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Careful on that comparison. UNI won AT Normal, Illinois. The day was a lovely warm day, but had about a 20-25mph wind blowing straight from south to north on the field, caused the teams to have to play entirely differently depending on the direction they were going.

By the way, UNI and NDSU also played Western Illinois (both in Macomb, Illinois) with NDSU winning 41-28 and UNI winning 42-3.

In two weeks we will have two more common opponents to compare, with UNI playing SUU in the Dome (NDSU-SUU was in Fargo) and NDSU playing SDSU in Brookings (where UNI played earlier).

Keep in mind, what McNeese Beat said, there are different circumstances as well. UNI-SUU may feature a game of one team playing out the string while another is trying to simply tune up for play-offs. Mya factor into the outcome. SDSU-NDSU is a rivalry game and will likely also be the game for the conference title.

I would have loved to see a UNI-NDSU game this year. Would be a match-up of strength vs strength. NDSU rushing attack vs UNI rushing D. To be fairest, the game should probably be played on a grass field in the middle of nowhere so neither team has its usual "dome" surroundings. I'll still take UNI, I think our O would have success against their D to tip the game our way. But it would have been a great game.

Let's do it!!! Count me in. xthumbsupx

Grizzaholic
November 8th, 2007, 12:26 PM

I agree.

Go Bison
November 8th, 2007, 12:49 PM

NDSU was expected to beat Central Michigan by 30? Did NDSU cover the spread in that game? xlolx

FargoBison
November 8th, 2007, 12:54 PM
NDSU was expected to beat Central Michigan by 30? Did NDSU cover the spread in that game? xlolx

Yeah, about the only teams that would expect to do that CMU at home are top 25 FBS schools. I guess AGSers have some high expectations.

THE HERD
November 8th, 2007, 01:47 PM
UNI played ILSU at ILSU.

To me, it's clear who is better.I call bull***** on that one. Your gonna sit back a say anyone in the FCS top ten would beat CMU and UofM, well thats pretty convenient for you isn't it? You take any team outside of the top four in the FCS and I would take that bet any day. Here is another fact as well no team in FCS has beaten two FBS teams in the same season for like 17 years I believe, it was like 90 or 91. You say their wins were expected, well did you expect NDSU to absolutely dominate and crush CMU at their house or did you expect NDSU to dominate against the gophers.......I know what you'll say 27-21 is hardly domination, well if you watched the game and looked at the statistics, it was domination. At the time Minnesota was averaging 457 yards a game offensively playing in the Big Ten! I would take the Gophers against anyone in the FCS outside the top four teams even with the Gophers less than stellar defense. Even the top four teams would not be a slam dunk win for sure. It seems like most people on here have to come up with some little thing to try and put a chink in the Bisons armor. I don't care about the polls and I won't claim to be better than UNI, cuase there is no way to know without playing them......I will say it woudl be a hell of a game. I cannot wait til next year when all this crap will be just a bad dream and we can prove it on the field. With that bieng said we are not a lock for the playoffs next year, playing in the tough Gateway conference will test us, but I know we are definitely looking forward to it.xthumbsupx

RabidRabbit
November 8th, 2007, 02:09 PM

Both Brookings (if want that real grass, upper midwest Dec. experience) or the Homer dome would make a good neutral site between UNI & NDSU. xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix