PDA

View Full Version : Grambling's Coach Broadway - Play More FCS Schools

mikebigg
November 6th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Courtesy of www.gogrambling.com

http://www.slide.com/r/OMYqmiVj6z9ku99eRn98fMU1gCx6BMsT

In his recent press conference... Coach Broadway mentions wanting to play more FCS schools and only 1 FBS school per year. With the SWAC 7 game mandate, expect Grambling to expand it's schedule to include other FCS Division Schools.

SeattleGriz
November 6th, 2007, 04:09 PM
So was it Grambling or Montana that had a schedule conflict for that game in Vegas?

mikebigg
November 6th, 2007, 05:02 PM
So was it Grambling or Montana that had a schedule conflict for that game in Vegas?

I'm not sure... in fact, I don't know for certain if Grambling was actually contacted. I do know that our AD likes certified funds and upfront money. Or, it could be a matter of the SWAC not having released a "master schedule" yet since we no longer have the 9 game mandate. If so then the conference office needs to get that done... actually should have released it by now so that folk can schedule games. I definitely don't want to see us schedule conference teams as "non-conference" games in order to fill a void. That I don't want!!!!

ButlerGSU
November 6th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Come on down to Statesboro - we'd love to settle who the real GSU isxsmiley_wix

Grizzaholic
November 6th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I think playing Grambling would be a great time.

mikebigg
November 6th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Come on down to Statesboro - we'd love to settle who the real GSU isxsmiley_wix

Actually that's a game I would like to see... and because of the proximity, it could actually happen. I would want it to be home and home and not just a neutral site. With your championship pedigree, your name would help draw media coverage and with that fan interest.

I'm glad to hear Coach speak of having more home games. I love Classics but actually right now, Grambling has enuff of those in my opinion. Maybe when there's a 12 game season, we can do a neutral site thing with another FCS if the promoters are talking the right kind of $$$,$$$. 00 each type deal.

TexasTerror
November 6th, 2007, 08:49 PM
What do the fans of Grambling think about this one? Are they open to playing more FCS schools? Do they want more home games at their stadium in Grambling instead of 'Classics' against FCS?

jstate83
November 6th, 2007, 08:57 PM
With the 7 game mandate, you will see a lot of SWAC school's scheduling more FCS opponent's.
I know JSU will schedule like we did in the '80's and 90's.

That 9 game mandate dang near strangled the life out of JSU.

McNeese_beat
November 6th, 2007, 11:39 PM

In his recent press conference... Coach Broadway mentions wanting to play more FCS schools and only 1 FBS school per year. With the SWAC 7 game mandate, expect Grambling to expand it's schedule to include other FCS Division Schools.

I hear another McNeese/GSU home-and-home is possibly in the works. That would be great.

I think it would be good for some Texas SWAC-SLC matchups to happen and for some Louisiana/Mississippi matchups. There are 4 Louisiana SLC and 2 SWACs plus Alcorn is right there on the boarder and Valley and JSU just up the road. I think all three Louisiana SLCs should have a Mississippi/Louisiana SWAC on its schedule every year and it could rotate. Meanwhile, the 3 (and later 2) Texas SLCs and TSU and Prairie View could get into a rotation...

D1B
November 6th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Good move Bigg. We've been telling you this **** for 3 years. xrolleyesx

mikebigg
November 7th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Good move Bigg. We've been telling you this **** for 3 years. xrolleyesx

I was never opposed to playing games as part of the regular season. I am FOREVER opposed to moving the date of the Bayou Classic!!!!

TT, I do not oppose Classics... I just don't want anymore added to our slate. We already play PV in a neutral site as part of the State Fair Classic (40-55k), SU in "supposedly" neutral New Orleans in the Bayou Classic. I also understand that we have signed up for a 3rd trip to the Delta - Literacy Classic in Little Rock against UAPB (which I hope moves back to a home and home). That's 3 conference games played in neutral sites... We need (I want) more home games.

Nothing personal, but I prefer that we play no more than 1 Southland conference school per year. I would like to start with the La schools first.

TexasTerror
November 7th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Nothing personal, but I prefer that we play no more than 1 Southland conference school per year. I would like to start with the La schools first.

That's probably best for you guys anyways as I'm sure you'd want one FBS, one major FCS program (a Ga Southern, App St, etc) and a MEAC program...

SHSU is hoping we can pull of the deal with PVA&M. Not sure what the 'powers that be' would like with this one -- as there's a few options there including having a game in the Houston area along with whatever else is agreed upon...

FormerPokeCenter
November 7th, 2007, 09:51 AM
I was never opposed to playing games as part of the regular season. I am FOREVER opposed to moving the date of the Bayou Classic!!!!

TT, I do not oppose Classics... I just don't want anymore added to our slate. We already play PV in a neutral site as part of the State Fair Classic (40-55k), SU in "supposedly" neutral New Orleans in the Bayou Classic. I also understand that we have signed up for a 3rd trip to the Delta - Literacy Classic in Little Rock against UAPB (which I hope moves back to a home and home). That's 3 conference games played in neutral sites... We need (I want) more home games.

Grambling's a Class Act. They honor their contracts, they play hard and the band puts on a helluva show. If you beat them, they show up the following year and fight like hell to even the score...You don't get a whole lot of excuses, you just get the deal that you agreed to...

I can't say that about all SWAC schools. Well, actually, I ccould probably say that about nearly EVERY SWAC schools with one notable exception and you SWACsters know EXACTLY who I'm talking about. Hell, they even duck your guys when you beat them.....and talk shat afterwards...

With Grambling on the schedule, the smack is fun, the competition on and off the field is great, but nobody gets shot at their stadium and after the game, IF you win, they give you your props. They don't talk shat even after they get beat unlike somer...er...well....ONE SWAC program...

If you can get them on the schedule, you should...

lizrdgizrd
November 7th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Hurray Coach Broadway!

UMass922
November 7th, 2007, 12:33 PM
This will be great for FCS. I would love to have a home-and-home with Grambling. You send your band, we'll send ours . . .

putter
November 7th, 2007, 12:56 PM

I believe Grambling already had a game the same day as the Las Vegas game. Still, playing a program like Grambling would be great!

mikebigg
November 7th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Preciate the good thoughts... but seriously there are some good teams in our leagues. Now that the 7 game mandate has been lifted perhaps we will see other teams from the conference playing outside the normal pool of teams.

If you caught Coach Broadway's conference, you might recall that he mentioned getting home at 3am. Sounds like he wants to stay within a short trip of Grambling even on away games. That probably means a concentration of Southland Conference schools to begin with. Maybe Appalacian State since he's from North Carolina. We will see...

Good luck with the playoffs for those of you selected. Hopefully Alabama A&M can get a bid...but they still got to win these next two.

McTailGator
November 7th, 2007, 04:31 PM

With your McNeese Almn running the GSU program over there, can we expect a new Home and home with you guys soon?

xeyebrowx

UMass922
November 7th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Sounds like he wants to stay within a short trip of Grambling even on away games.

In that case, I'd be more than happy with a trip to Grambling and no return. It would be an incredible experience for our team and our band that would be well worth it, I'm sure.

Seawolf97
November 7th, 2007, 07:10 PM
In that case, I'd be more than happy with a trip to Grambling and no return. It would be an incredible experience for our team and our band that would be well worth it, I'm sure.

Agreed it would be great to play a legendary program such as Grambling . Hope we get to play you guys. I mean we are in the Big South in 2008.

msusig
November 7th, 2007, 11:05 PM
xcoffeex It was fun watching McNeese beat up Grambling. I had fun hearing the grambling fans talk all their smack then shut up after they realized they didn't have a chance. Come on 52-20, Grambling doesn't want to get embarrassed like that again at "the hole" any more than Southern losing 35-17 at their own house. The only fun part was watching their band. Wish we could get our band to be that good. But actually I think that was one of our top attendence that I have seen at McNeese. Probably because Grambling actually has fans that travel to see them play. Our attendance would be way up from what it is if we could play more teams that travel well. Look at the UL-Lafayette game, that was their largest crowd ever at Laffayette. You could barely find a seat at that game.

McNeese_beat
November 7th, 2007, 11:11 PM
xcoffeex It was fun watching McNeese beat up Grambling. I had fun hearing the grambling fans talk all their smack then shut up after they realized they didn't have a chance. Come on 52-20, Grambling doesn't want to get embarrassed like that again at "the hole" any more than Southern losing 35-17 at their own house. The only fun part was watching their band. Wish we could get our band to be that good. But actually I think that was one of our top attendence that I have seen at McNeese. Probably because Grambling actually has fans that travel to see them play. Our attendance would be way up from what it is if we could play more teams that travel well. Look at the UL-Lafayette game, that was their largest crowd ever at Laffayette. You could barely find a seat at that game.

The Grambling game was a lot closer in 03 than 02. I'd like to see the series renewed. It would be good for McNeese to get PV, Grambling, Texas Southern etc., on the schedule for home-homes. PV would probably want to play in Houston for its home game, which would be great for McNeese with the recruiting it does there. TSU would probably play at Robertson, same deal. And Grambling is just a great game for the whole state.

Maybe get Alcorn to meet at Tad Gormley and it can be a showcase for McNeese's New Orleans recruiting...I love Gormley as a venue (if it has recovered from Katrina...I haven't checked it out)...

msusig
November 7th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I've heard we might be traveling to North Carolina to take on some tarheels next season. Have you heard that? We need to start playing Tulane (I'm definitely going to party on Bourbon St.), Univ. of Houston, Arkansas, or somebody closer to home. Those would be some good recruiting games. Definitely need to schedule an SEC team, even though we would get creamed playing an SEC team would get us exposure and it would be fun tailgating.

McNeese_beat
November 7th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I've heard we might be traveling to North Carolina to take on some tarheels next season. Have you heard that? We need to start playing Tulane (I'm definitely going to party on Bourbon St.), Univ. of Houston, Arkansas, or somebody closer to home. Those would be some good recruiting games. Definitely need to schedule an SEC team, even though we would get creamed playing an SEC team would get us exposure and it would be fun tailgating.

I have heard about the UNC game. Don't know if it's a done deal yet.

If that' the case, McNeese would need two home games because they also have to go to South Dakota State in the return trip for last year's game. McNeese only plays three home conference games, so they need two home games just to get to 5....of course, I do believe it's a potential 12-game season next year, so maybe they can get 3 home games...but I hope they do that by playing no more than 1 D-II.

How about home Grambling, home with a Cal Poly or UC-Davis (in other words, one of the Great Wests who will be looking for a game), home against a Southern Arkansas or an Angelo State, then the two road games and conference.

mikebigg
November 8th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Playing the SLC schools makes a lot of sense for Grambling...it definitely helps travel cost. It really gets easy for me when the SLC school is Southeastern because Hammond is so close to BR. Only problem is that Strawberry Field only seats about 14K and tickets might be a problem... I have a frat who's a professor over there so maybe he can help me avoid long lines. Not exactly sure how close to Grambling UCA is located but even the Texas schools (except TxState) wouldn't be a long road trip.

Back to Louisiana schools... The thing that I like about possibly playing is the opportunity for our students to interact and establish networks. I realize a lot of the game young folk are into the game and partying, but down the road as adults some of these kids will possibly work together either in the education system, private sector, or as government officials.
We need our youth working together for the continued development of this state...

bigbluetiger
November 8th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Hey Swamp Tiggers don't forget about your cousins in Nash-Vegas. We still have a score to settle after what Doug and Bruce did to us in Vegas.

mikebigg
November 8th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Hey Swamp Tiggers don't forget about your cousins in Nash-Vegas. We still have a score to settle after what Doug and Bruce did to us in Vegas.

Now you guys would make an excellent homecoming opponent... I don't mean that as smack. But it would bring a nostalgia that homecoming should always provide to former students. Those of us in the 50 plus club remember the yearly home and home matchup between Coach Merritt and Coach Rob. I think I've actually stated before in previous threads that I would like our schedule to have 1 FBS (initially Sunbelt Conf/La Tech), 1 La Southland, 1 MEAC (include TnState), and 1 "at-large" FCS. Now that would be one helluva schedule. I think with the conference home and homes we could actually market an attractive season ticket. I'm glad to hear that Broadway and Mr. Matthieu our AD is moving in that direction.

MACHIAVELLI
November 9th, 2007, 09:39 PM

THE ICON is still not allowed back in Vegas after that beatdown. Assault charges were filed.