PDA

View Full Version : CAA Week 11 (11/10 Predictions

GannonFan
November 6th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Well, with the season wrapping up in two weeks, that means the list of teams with something to play for starts to dwindle and some real important games are on deck - here's my take:

Hofstra 35 Northeastern 24 - Hofstra is basically playing for the playoffs every week now - at 8-3, without any signature wins, they would be a longshot to make the playoffs. However, at 9-2, they are virtually a lock to make the field, so it's win or end the season next week for Hofstra. Northeastern has decided to throw away the playbook and simplify things - Murray will run the ball. Amazingly, it worked to perfection in Northeastern's romp over UNH last week with Murray getting 50+ carries in the game. The one-dimensional nature, though, is right up Hofstra's defense's alley, and I think Hofstra continues on the road to the playoffs with a solid win in Parson's, and with a shot to beat UMass on the Island next week.

UMass 24 New Hampshire 21 - Well, playing sloppy all year finally caught up with UMass last week. Of course, so did remnants of Hurricane Noel as UMass only scored 3 safeties (gee, how many times has a team garnered 3 safeties in one game and still lost?) in an upset loss to Rhode Island in horrendous conditions. New Hampshire also slogged their way to an upset defeat by being literally run over by Murray and the Northeastern Huskies, amazingly for the second year in a row. If UNH thought reversing a loss from last year was tough last week, they have two losses to avenge to UMass, who beat UNH in the regular season and in the playoffs last year. Unfortunately for the Wildcats, it looks like next week's game against Maine could very well be the farewell game for Santos as the era looks like it will come to an end without one last playoff run. UMass has been sloppy all year, but they know how to play UNH, and they can mix things up enough on offense to score some points. UNH will be scrappy down to the end, but I think UNH drops their 4th game here and misses the playoffs.

Maine 28 Rhode Island 14 - A game for only the mothers to care about. URI capped their season with the big win against UMass last week while Maine continues on the "Save Cosgrove's Job" tour with yet another win. Unfortunately for Black Bear fans, that's looking more and more likely every week now. Look for Maine to pick up win #3 in their current winning streak as they close out the season in Orono before heading to Durham next week for the "So Long Ricky" game.

villanova 24 Towson 17 - For Towson, it's been a year to forget - great expectations at the start of the year have crumbled in a 3-6 misery of a season, losing the last 3 games coming into this one. nova, on the other hand, has found a lot of life and a lot of game from a bunch of real young players and while last week's loss to Richmond has ended any postseason dreams for the wildcats this year, they have plenty of promise for next year and can be expected to play with that kind of passion. Towson's going to be losing a lot of seniors so next year may not be better than this one, but they do play defense better than people think they do so they'll keep this one tight throughout. I just think the team with excitement on their side wins this duel.

Delaware 35 Richmond 28 - The Hens came out on the winning side of a tight game with JMU last week while Richmond held off a pesky nova team to both come into this game, the CAA South Championship game. UD is in position to potentially win out and get a top 4 seed in the playoffs, and Richmond, while a seed isn't going to happen, can position themselves to potentially win the conference autobid, depending on how things shake out up North. Delaware's offense has been prolific all year, and has not been held to less than 27 points yet. The game will feature the best two backs in the country in Cuff and Hightower, and the scoring should be plentiful. UD's defense needs to avoid giving up the big play, which hurt them for 21 points against JMU, but with Marcorelle and Talley both back at DE, it should be easier to do. Richmond's defense gave up a lot of yards, especially passing yards, to a villanova team that couldn't pass to save its life recently - I think that's the difference. Flacco and company will continue to move up and down the field and Richmond will keep up but just fall short.

James Madison 31 William and Mary 28 - JMU saw their playoff chances put in severe jeopardy (no matter what Mickey says) with a second loss in as many weeks, losing in Newark to the Hens. With JMU squarely on the bubble, you'd expect them to come out and annihilate a Tribe team that has played well at times this year, but just not had any answers on defense. However, I think W&M has one last bullet in the pistol and puts a scare into the Dukes. Phillips has had a great year and just hasn't been noticed since W&M has struggled so much. But on the home turf I think he puts on one more show. JMU is finding out that Landers, while a talent, just isn't a very good passer. Luckily for them, W&M can't stop the run, and I think that's ultimately what wears out the Tribe. I think W&M hangs around for awhile, but the better team wears them down in the second half and comes out with the W.

GeeWiz
November 6th, 2007, 01:37 PM
NU 24 Hofstra 20 - NU hammered this same Pride defense last year running the ball and HU coach Dave Cohen in this weekly's teleconference made the point of his concern for NU's ground attack. Murray on Senior Day and Orio being efficient with the pass win it for the Huskies. Plus Kareem Huggins is very doubtful for Saturday.

UMass 28 UNH 20 - I really think UNH will have a great chance to win this with their backs against the wall, but in the end the UMass running game, Coen's passing ability and the UMass "D" much better than UNH's give UMass a close win.

Maine 27 URI 13 - Farkas, Fluellen and the Dirty Cubs keep their winning streak going.

Villanova 28 Towson 17 - Wildcats continue to have a surprising season with a win over the disappointing Tigers.

Delaware 41 Richmond 31 - A shootout featuring the two best backs in the CAA see the Blue Chickens win this see-saw battle at home.

JMU 37 W&M 24 - Dukes will give up some points to W&M pass attack, but Tribe can't stop Bolton and Landers.

Spider
November 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Spidahs over the chicks at the Tub......xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
November 6th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Last week

Towson 24, @ Maine 13 Towson after their bye week rebounds from their loss to a toothpaste.

@ UD 31 JMU 27. Have already commented on this over on the JMU @ UD thread

@ UMass 38 URI 27. UMass has their usual ton of penalties and wins by less than they should.

@ UNH 38 NE 20. UNH gets revenge for last season's monster upset at Parsons.

@ Hofstra 34, W&M 31. If W&M was at home, I'd take them. I've been right on Hofstra's last 2 losses, then again, so have a lot of others.

@ UR 27, Nova 13. Nova eliminated from the playoff hunt. UR gets revenge for Nova eliminating them from the playoff hunt last season.

Maine 16, Towson 13 xoopsx
UD 37, JMU 34 xthumbsupx xbawlingx
UMass 6, URI 12 xoopsx xeekx
UNH 13, NE 31 xoopsx xeekx
Hofstra 38, W&M 14 xthumbsupx
UR 35, Nova 27 xthumbsupx

This week:
@UMass 31 UNH 27 This was a game until last Sat I was picking UNH to win.

@Maine 20, URI 17

Villanova 27 @ Towson 20

@ UD 30, UR 28 (Think Hightower will go for about 200 here, but it won't be quite enough)

JMU 38 @ W&M 24 (but if JMU loses the turnover battle 4-0 again they'll lose)

Big questions for JMU fans:

1.Does the Landers that completed about 72% of his passes prior to the last 2 games looking every bit as accurate as Rascati show up, or does the Landers that went 13 for 38 against UR & UD show up? (granted, a lot of dropped balls in those 2 games (heck, all season) and injuries didn't help, but about 1/2 his passes in those 2 games were just off the mark) JMU will have to be able to pass some against W&M.

2. Question of injury status of JMU's injured players with the exception of Holloman:
-LC Baker? DNP vs NE, limited URI & UR, DNP vs UD (hamstring)
-Patrick Ward?, 2 deep WR (DNP games 3-7, played against UR, DNP UD)
-Mike Caussin? (starting tightend) DNP vs UD (quad)
-Jamal Sullivan? (backup running back) DNP vs UD (ankle)- not a major factor since JMU has 3 other healthy non redshirt freshman schlorship tailbacks.
-Scotty McGee? (starting corner) DNP vs UD (I heard concussion)- This is a big here, as one of JMU's 2nd string corners, Darius Ramsey, broke his ankle in the UD game and is out for the rest of the season. If McGee can't go, that only leaves 2 decent corners to go against W&M's aerial attack.

Saluki_man
November 6th, 2007, 03:23 PM
To throw all things into chaos in this leauge,

UNH beats UMass
UR beats UD
Nova beats Townson
JMU beats W&M
URI beats Maine
NE beats Hoftra

WrenFGun
November 6th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Villanova 17, Towson 14.
I've been impressed with the way that Villanova has played all season. They really hung around, and I think they'll be strong down the stretch. I think they've proven they're a team to worry about it next season in the CAA.

James Madison 30, William and Mary 17
I've been picking William and Mary to upset everyone, and they're just not doing it. I'm off the upset bandwagon. JMU, with a sense of urgency, gives themselves at least a shot at the playoffs.

Maine 7, Rhode Island 6
I strongly believe that the UMass upset is about all URI had in them. I don't think they can consistently win without their starting QB and Casey. With that said, UMaine isn't very good. Does anyone care?

Northeastern 20, Hofstra 17
I've been picking against Hofstra for awhile, but after watching Northeastern in person, I think they have a shot. Hofstra's defense is undeniably better than UNH's, but I was very impressed with Murray. I don't think Hofstra can win, on the road, without Higgins.

Delaware 35, Richmond 14
Delaware is the class of the CAA south, IMO. I don't expect this game to be close, not with the way they've played against Navy and JMU in the last two weeks. Richmond continues to be unimpressive to me, and yet, they continue to win. I'll probably be proven wrong, but I really like Delaware in this one.

UNH 30, UMass 27
I will preface this selection by saying that I'm a UNH homer. As I mentioned before the victory over Delaware, I don't think Santos lets this team lose. He wants to get back to the playoffs one more time. I firmly believe that UMass is the more solid team, and I'm not sure it's close. UNH's DBs will struggle with the size of Rancher and Moore. The glorified nickel, featured a dilapitated and TJ Taylor-less DL will struggle with Lawrence. My hope is that a couple of foolish penalties on the behalf of UMass will come back and haunt them enough on offense to keep the score reasonably low. UNH unveils a couple of trick plays (perhaps Toman and Santos on the field at the same time, perhaps some reverses involving Kackert, Boyle and LeVan) and return to what got them on the roll (passes over the middle to Sicko). They work a bit to control the T.O.P (as it was an embarrasing 48-12 minute disparity against NU) and find a way to keep things alive, miraculously. Trailing 27-23 with two minutes to go, Santos leads the team down the field, and, with 8 seconds to go on 4the goal, converts a corner pass to Keith Levan for the victory. (a Man can dream, yes?)

Should be a great week in the CAA. Good luck to all the teams with playoff aspirations. I'll be in Amherst for the game. Can't wait.

Uncle Buck
November 6th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Towson 20 Nova 17
I think Towson has just enough offense to get by this week and shuts down a very game Nova offense

James Madison 38 William and Mary 13
JMU has playoff hopes on the line and they run often and run for a lot.

Maine 17 Rhode Island 13
Injury plagued URI has no answer for the Black Bears who notch another W before the UNH showdown

Northeastern 17 Hofstra 14
Going to be a very tough game IMO. HU has to stop a tough running game with undersized backers. With the potential of no Huggins, defense will be on the field a lot. With a healthy Huggins i think we get the W, but that's not the case

Delaware 32 Richmond 30
UD offense has been good, very good. They outlast a very game UR squad

UNH 27 UMass 24
UNH stays alive and has UMass facing playoff elimination at Hoftsra in the final week of the season, 2005 anyone?

Ud1Hens
November 6th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Maine 7, Rhode Island 6
I strongly believe that the UMass upset is about all URI had in them. I don't think they can consistently win without their starting QB and Casey. With that said, UMaine isn't very good. Does anyone care?

Is that a Maine TD or a FG and 2 Safeties?

bostonspider
November 6th, 2007, 04:42 PM
JMU takes it to W&M to keep their playof hopes alive

URI squeeks by Maine

HU tops Northeastern

Nova smacks around Towson

UNH stuns UMass keeping the dream alive, and setting up an exciting UMass - HU finale next week

UR tops UD for the CAA South title; I feel that UR looked more impressive beating JMU in Harrisonburg than UD did beating them in Newark. I also don't think UR has as many turnovers for UD to capitalize on as last year or as JMU did last week...

UMass922
November 6th, 2007, 04:47 PM
HYPOTHETICAL CAA WORST-CASE SCENARIO THAT WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY NOT HAPPEN--BUT JUST TO THROW IT OUT THERE:

1. IF Hofstra loses this week or next week, JMU loses this week or next week, the Richmond-Delaware loser loses next week, and the UMass-UNH winner loses next week; and

2. IF as many at-large contenders as possible from other conferences finish in their best possible shape for a bid,

3. THEN the CAA could end up with only one team in the playoffs (the Delaware-Richmond winner).

It won't happen, and even if it did, there's a chance (a good chance, probably), that a second team would still get in . . . but I just thought it would be fun to try to imagine the worst-case scenario, since usually we only try to imagine the best-.

bostonspider
November 6th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Well I think if UD loses their last two, they still might get in under that scenario, as there would be so few good teams left... But if it is UR that loses two, then they are definitely out.

Maroon&White
November 6th, 2007, 08:04 PM
UNH 27 UMass 24
UNH stays alive and has UMass facing playoff elimination at Hoftsra in the final week of the season, 2006 anyone?

Sure, I'd take that xthumbsupx

Think you meant 2005.

Uncle Buck
November 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Sure, I'd take that xthumbsupx

Think you meant 2005.

xoopsx Just fixed it! I definitely don't want a 2006 finish. I don't want a 2006 anything for that matter xsmhx

Nebuta
November 7th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Northeastern over Hofs. NE will make it back to back upsets. I think Northeastern is under-rated this year losing a lot of close games. Huggins and company will keep this game close and may pull off the win.
UNH over UMass. UMass defense will be tested for the 1st time this year. I believe UMass would win this game if they could run the ball just as NE did on UNH run defense isnt that good. But having seen them rely on that UMass running game, last week because of weather, doesnt look good for them, for they only scored by way of defense.
URI wins over Maine. I like URI will win.
JMU over W&M. The Dukes should run all over W&M. I think they learn something last week. They can run the ball and run it well. Unforunately they also learned that Landers doesnt have the greatest arm as far as accuracy is concern.
Nova over Towson. I like Nova to rebound nicely after that loss to Spiders on the road. Nova can score more the Towson.
UD over Richmond. Flacco should have a big day against Richmonds pass defense, just as Towson did. Omar will get his 30+ TDs for the season this game. And I think Hightower will have a good game but I dont know about a great enough game to score more points as UD defense getting back their captain and another starter on the line.

GannonFan
November 7th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Omar will get his 30+ TDs this game.

Omar's got 31 TD's already this year (27 rushing and 4 receiving).

Nebuta
November 7th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Omar's got 31 TD's already this year (27 rushing and 4 receiving).
30 rushing sorry..

URMite
November 7th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Northeastern over Hofs. NE will make it back to back upsets. I think Northeastern is under-rated this year losing a lot of close games. Huggins and company will keep this game close and may pull off the win.
UNH over UMass. UMass defense will be tested for the 1st time this year. I believe UMass would win this game if they could run the ball just as NE did on UNH run defense isnt that good. But having seen them rely on that UMass running game, last week because of weather, doesnt look good for them, for they only scored by way of defense.
URI wins over Maine. I like URI will win.
JMU over W&M. The Dukes should run all over W&M. I think they learn something last week. They can run the ball and run it well. Unforunately they also learned that Landers doesnt have the greatest arm as far as accuracy is concern.
Nova over Towson. I like Nova to rebound nicely after that loss to Spiders on the road. Nova can score more the Towson.
UD over Richmond. Flacco should have a big day against Richmonds pass defense, just as Towson did. Omar will get his 30+ TDs for the season this game. And I think Hightower will have a good game but I dont know about a great enough game to score more points as UD defense getting back their captain and another starter on the line.

That's what I'm worried about. In general our rush defense swarms to the line of scrimmage and should hold Cuff to little less than his average. However we seem to favor coverage over pressure if we decide your QB is more of a passing threat than a running one, but the extra coverage doesn't appear effective.

On offense, our biggest passing thread returned last week after missing 2 games, and we have added two wrinkles. More passes to the TEs, and reverse/fake reverse to our return man. All of which is an attempt to give Hightower more room.

Assuming TOs are even, I think we will need some short fields from special teams if we are to win this one.

GannonFan
November 7th, 2007, 02:51 PM
That's what I'm worried about. In general our rush defense swarms to the line of scrimmage and should hold Cuff to little less than his average. However we seem to favor coverage over pressure if we decide your QB is more of a passing threat than a running one, but the extra coverage doesn't appear effective.

On offense, our biggest passing thread returned last week after missing 2 games, and we have added two wrinkles. More passes to the TEs, and reverse/fake reverse to our return man. All of which is an attempt to give Hightower more room.

Assuming TOs are even, I think we will need some short fields from special teams if we are to win this one.

Flacco had a big day last year against Richmond, and that was with an already injured Cuff only playing sparingly in the first half. Even with the pressure JMU brought last week, they only sacked him once and Flacco looked pretty good hanging in there in the pocket to make the passes he did. And that was in a pretty blustery wind as well. With Cuff fully healthy this year, and with UD's offense clicking, I think they are going to get their points and easily get past 30 - the question is, what happens on the other side of the ball and how easily does Richmond score. Hightower won't be able to do it alone - JMU's run game was more about hitting the home runs on their 3 big runs - they did average just over 4 yards a carry without those big runs, and there was plenty of time they just ran into the line and weren't effective. Richmond's going to have to have Ward be effective passing the ball (which he has done on occassion) to keep up in this game. Should be a good one.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 7th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Wow! All the negativity on Landers cracks me up. I guess if you only saw the last two games, it is easy to come to the "passing accuracy" conclusion. Dropped passes don't help. When the playcalling is 90% run, it's hard for a team to find it's rhythm in the air. Also, when passing primarily on 3rd downs and obvious passing situations, it does not get easier.

That being said, the kid has had a rough couple of weeks without all his weapons. I've seen Rodney throw some beauties this year. I am not worried about his arm. UD was a windy day as well.

But that's okay, I'd rather have other teams' fans throw Rodney under the bus than our own. We seem content in what we have at JMU at the QB position. xnodx

Conversely, Antoine Bolton is fairly criticized among us fans for the fact that he's a tiny scat back, yet people here are saying he'll run all over W&M. Given their D, I would agree, but the analysis of many of you is still kinda funny to me. Just my two cents, of course. xsmiley_wix xpeacex

UNH over UMass (ugh)
URI over Maine
Northeastern over Hofstra
JMU over W&M
Villanova over Towson
UD over Richmond

Nebuta
November 7th, 2007, 03:08 PM
I would agree. Landers isnt a bad QB. He is amazing for being only a freshman. He made some great decisions to keep the ball and run. But his arm does need some more work however, but that will improve with time. As far as this season, if JMU got stuff in the run with 8 men in the box, (Which I doubt will happen) and JMU had come back and win it with his arm, I would believe he would come out on the shorter in of the stick in a shootout.

JmuSkinsfan
November 7th, 2007, 03:15 PM
I would agree. Landers isnt a bad QB. He is amazing for being only a freshman. He made some great decisions to keep the ball and run. But his arm does need some more work however, but that will improve with time. As far as this season, if JMU got stuff in the run with 8 men in the box, (Which I doubt will happen) and JMU had come back and win it with his arm, I would believe he would come out on the shorter in of the stick in a shootout.

If you are talking about Landers, he is actually a redshirt Junior. This is his first year starting, so technically he is a rookie.

ASUPATCH
November 7th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I think Delaware may be looking forward to the playoffs a bit too much and the Spiders will find a way to take it. 31-28 Richmond

HensRock
November 7th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Special Teams is what worries me on this one. At least on paper, UR looks far superior in kick covereage and returns. That, and game day coaching adjustments are where UR can beat the Hens. I don't think the Spiders can stop UD's offense. Whether they stop themselves is another matter. This should be a high-scoring affair. I'm really looking forward to the Hightower-Cuff show!

GannonFan
November 7th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I think Delaware may be looking forward to the playoffs a bit too much and the Spiders will find a way to take it. 31-28 Richmond

As far as I know, no UD poster on here is a player - we're allowed to be boisterous and looking ahead - I think the team is squarely focused on the next game, though - it is Senior Day and the last regular season game in the Tub for a few players (not a big senior class). They know what's ahead of them on Saturday.

Nebuta
November 7th, 2007, 03:26 PM
If you are talking about Landers, he is actually a redshirt Junior. This is his first year starting, so technically he is a rookie.
You are right. He played WR and RB for a bit last year. I dont know why I thought he was a freshman. My bad.

URMite
November 7th, 2007, 03:30 PM
As far as I know, no UD poster on here is a player - we're allowed to be boisterous and looking ahead - I think the team is squarely focused on the next game, though - it is Senior Day and the last regular season game in the Tub for a few players (not a big senior class). They know what's ahead of them on Saturday.

That's the same response I received for pointing out playoff scenarios on our own board before Nova. Don't look ahead. And I agree with you that I'm not a coach or player, so I need a bit less preparation for each game.

Although if UD does want to look ahead that would be fine with me. xthumbsupx But unfortunately I think they are looking at this game as necessary for a seed. :(

Not a big class but an important one with Cuff/Flacco...

Cranium716
November 7th, 2007, 03:30 PM

If Landers was a freshman then I would be thrilled, but sadly he's a junior. He was redshirted as a freshman in '05, so this year and next year will be his only two.

mcveyrl
November 7th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Flacco had a big day last year against Richmond, and that was with an already injured Cuff only playing sparingly in the first half. Even with the pressure JMU brought last week, they only sacked him once and Flacco looked pretty good hanging in there in the pocket to make the passes he did. And that was in a pretty blustery wind as well. With Cuff fully healthy this year, and with UD's offense clicking, I think they are going to get their points and easily get past 30 - the question is, what happens on the other side of the ball and how easily does Richmond score. Hightower won't be able to do it alone - JMU's run game was more about hitting the home runs on their 3 big runs - they did average just over 4 yards a carry without those big runs, and there was plenty of time they just ran into the line and weren't effective. Richmond's going to have to have Ward be effective passing the ball (which he has done on occassion) to keep up in this game. Should be a good one.

That was what most impressed me about Flacco last week. When I strated watching the game, I thought "alright, we're getting some pressure on him." But it didn't matter. Even when we got to him, his arm strength was incredible and his accuracy rarely suffered (he at least threw it close enough to the receivers where they could make the catch).

I thought we did a good job of stopping Cuff overall, but we NEVER hit him in the backfield. Third and shorts were gimmes. If UR can't keep 3rd and 2 or 3 from happening, it will be a long game for the spiders.

Where Cuff and Flacco both killed us (not so much them really as the play calling) were the screen passes, we only anticipated one or two of them and the rest went for big gains.

I think UR will need to either avoid turnovers or force a few to win this one.

BDKJMU
November 7th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Last week

Maine 16, Towson 13 xoopsx
UD 37, JMU 34 xthumbsupx xbawlingx
UMass 6, URI 12 xoopsx xeekx
UNH 13, NE 31 xoopsx xeekx
Hofstra 38, W&M 14 xthumbsupx
UR 35, Nova 27 xthumbsupx

This week:
@UMass 31 UNH 27 This was a game until last Sat I was picking UNH to win.

@Maine 20, URI 17

Villanova 27 @ Towson 20

@ UD 30, UR 28 (Think Hightower will go for about 200 here, but it won't be quite enough)

JMU 38 @ W&M 24 (but if JMU loses the turnover battle 4-0 again they'll lose)

Big questions for JMU fans:

1.Does the Landers that completed about 72% of his passes prior to the last 2 games looking every bit as accurate as Rascati show up, or does the Landers that went 13 for 38 against UR & UD show up? (granted, a lot of dropped balls in those 2 games (heck, all season) and injuries didn't help, but about 1/2 his passes in those 2 games were just off the mark) JMU will have to be able to pass some against W&M.

2. Question of injury status of JMU's injured players with the exception of Holloman:
-LC Baker? DNP vs NE, limited URI & UR, DNP vs UD (hamstring)
-Patrick Ward?, 2 deep WR (DNP games 3-7, played against UR, DNP UD)
-Mike Caussin? (starting tightend) DNP vs UD (quad)
-Jamal Sullivan? (backup running back) DNP vs UD (ankle)- not a major factor since JMU has 3 other healthy non redshirt freshman schlorship tailbacks.
-Scotty McGee? (starting corner) DNP vs UD (I heard concussion)- This is a big here, as one of JMU's 2nd string corners, Darius Ramsey, broke his ankle in the UD game and is out for the rest of the season. If McGee can't go, that only leaves 2 decent corners to go against W&M's aerial attack.

Damnit, I forgot to put in the Hofstra-NE game, and it won't let me edit- guess since its been over 24 hrs.

@ Northeastern 27, Hofstra 24 (I picked Hofstra to lose 4 of their last 5 back when they were 6-0). I assume Huggins is still out?

GannonFan
November 8th, 2007, 10:27 AM
That was what most impressed me about Flacco last week. When I strated watching the game, I thought "alright, we're getting some pressure on him." But it didn't matter. Even when we got to him, his arm strength was incredible and his accuracy rarely suffered (he at least threw it close enough to the receivers where they could make the catch).

I thought we did a good job of stopping Cuff overall, but we NEVER hit him in the backfield. Third and shorts were gimmes. If UR can't keep 3rd and 2 or 3 from happening, it will be a long game for the spiders.

Where Cuff and Flacco both killed us (not so much them really as the play calling) were the screen passes, we only anticipated one or two of them and the rest went for big gains.

I think UR will need to either avoid turnovers or force a few to win this one.

I agree - I thought the whole game how much of an NFL QB Flacco was looking like - he had pressure all day and the pocket was tight all around him, and he never panicked and often made the throw a split second before he got hit. In the NFL, that split second is the difference between a good QB and the guy carrying the clipboard.

UD's been real good in the 3rd and shorts all year - only Navy was able to stop UD's big, short yardage package (which was odd because they had issues when it wasn't short yardage - go figure) so JMU not being able to stop it was not surprising. I thought JMU did pretty well on the screens, though - Cuff didn't really break any and while he got yards (he had 167 yards from scrimmage) he worked for all of them. JMU tackled very well on the screens as well, even when the blocking was seemingly there. But the difference in the game, outside of the turnovers obviously, was Flacco being able to make the passes.

saint0917
November 8th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Umass- 27 UNH- 24
Delaware- 41 Richmond- 21
Villanova- 24 Towson- 17
James Madison- 30 William & Mary- 23
Rhode Island- 28 Maine- 13
Northeastern- 24 Hofstra- 17

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 8th, 2007, 10:41 AM
I would argue the difference was Flacco's receivers catching many of them. A lot of great catches that for any other team would have fallen incomplete.

mcveyrl
November 8th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I would argue the difference was Flacco's receivers catching many of them. A lot of great catches that for any other team would have fallen incomplete.

At least he got 'em that close...Landers didn't have nearly the pressure and was not as accurate.

Plus, some of those passes were designed to be thrown where only the receiver could get them.

89Hen
November 8th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Not sure I should bother anymore as bad as I was the last two weeks, but..

Delaware 35 - Richmond 31
UMass 27 - UNH 24
James Madison 42 - William and Mary 24
Hofstra 27 - Northeastern 17
villanova 24 - Towson 14
Rhode Island 13 - Maine 10

UNHWildCats
November 8th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Not sure I should bother anymore as bad as I was the last two weeks, but..

Delaware 35 - Richmond 31
UMass 27 - UNH 24
James Madison 42 - William and Mary 24
Hofstra 27 - Northeastern 17
villanova 24 - Towson 14
Rhode Island 13 - Maine 10
I think your gonna have another bad week :p

GannonFan
November 8th, 2007, 11:09 AM

At least he got 'em that close...Landers didn't have nearly the pressure and was not as accurate.

Plus, some of those passes were designed to be thrown where only the receiver could get them.

Flacco hit those guys in the hands every time - sure, some were tough catches, but if you get two hands on the ball you should come down with it. I agree with mcveyrl, he put the ball where the WR was going to catch it or it was going to be incomplete.

89Hen
November 8th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I think your gonna have another bad week :p
I don't mind getting your game wrong... go UNH! xsmiley_wix

WrenFGun
November 8th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I think now might be a reasonable time to take a look at UMass' schedule, and see how it might make UNH better prepared for a matchup of this magnitude. Umass OOC was respectable, IMO, with contests against quality Patriot League opponents like Holy Cross and Colgate, and they beat both of us those teams by double digits. With that said, I don't think either Colgate or Holy Cross would quite be playoff teams if the season ended today. They lost (and played pretty well) against a quality Boston College team. In CAA play, however, they've gone 5-1 against Northeastern, Rhode Island, William and Mary, Towson, Villanova (who almost beat them, @ UMass, in 4OT) and Maine, which are probably the 6 worst teams in the CAA (though I'd be willing to grant 'Nova over Hofstra).

UNH, by contrast, has played the toughest 3 teams in the CAA south in UD, UR, JMU as well as Hofstra from the North, and have gone 2-2. They also have a win over a FBS team and have the same one bad loss, this one to Northeastern. I'm not arguing that it makes UNH the better team, but I DO think that UNH might have the advantage in being prepared, as they've played a lot of tough opponents and have had some success (Hofstra, Marshall on the road, in particular). UMass's big wins have come over Holy Cross, Colgate and Nova in 4OT...I just think this might give UNH a bit of an edge entering the game.

89Hen
November 8th, 2007, 11:40 AM
In CAA play, however, they've gone 5-1 against Northeastern, Rhode Island, William and Mary, Towson, Villanova (who almost beat them, @ UMass, in 4OT) and Maine, which are probably the 6 worst teams in the CAA (though I'd be willing to grant 'Nova over Hofstra).

UNH, by contrast, has played the toughest 3 teams in the CAA south in UD, UR, JMU
That is amazing. Can't blame UMass for the CAA schedule, but they certainly did draw a very long straw this year in the South. xnodx

WrenFGun
November 8th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Or, BOY did UNH get the short end of the stick...

UMass922
November 8th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I think now might be a reasonable time to take a look at UMass' schedule, and see how it might make UNH better prepared for a matchup of this magnitude. Umass OOC was respectable, IMO, with contests against quality Patriot League opponents like Holy Cross and Colgate, and they beat both of us those teams by double digits. With that said, I don't think either Colgate or Holy Cross would quite be playoff teams if the season ended today. They lost (and played pretty well) against a quality Boston College team. In CAA play, however, they've gone 5-1 against Northeastern, Rhode Island, William and Mary, Towson, Villanova (who almost beat them, @ UMass, in 4OT) and Maine, which are probably the 6 worst teams in the CAA (though I'd be willing to grant 'Nova over Hofstra).

UNH, by contrast, has played the toughest 3 teams in the CAA south in UD, UR, JMU as well as Hofstra from the North, and have gone 2-2. They also have a win over a FBS team and have the same one bad loss, this one to Northeastern. I'm not arguing that it makes UNH the better team, but I DO think that UNH might have the advantage in being prepared, as they've played a lot of tough opponents and have had some success (Hofstra, Marshall on the road, in particular). UMass's big wins have come over Holy Cross, Colgate and Nova in 4OT...I just think this might give UNH a bit of an edge entering the game.

I agree about the UMass schedule. I'm not sure how big of an edge it will give UNH, though. These teams know each other well enough that I don't think the respective routes they have taken to the game this year will make as much of a difference as they might otherwise. But who knows, you may be right. After last week especially, I'm not ready to assume anything about UMass . . .

WrenFGun
November 8th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Well, UNH's schedule surely doesn't make them a better defensive team, so there's surely that. If UMass moves the ball effectively, I don't see any chance for UNH to win this game. The UNH defense needs to make some plays to have a shot, which in general, is a rarity.

JMUFortier
November 9th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Villanova 24 Towson 14 - Nova continues to surprise and Towson continues to disappoint.
Maine 28 URI 7 - The Save Cosgrove Campaign continues. Maine will spoil someone this season, trust me.
NE 17 Hofstra 10 - Why not destroy someone else's season? Northeastern will spoil someone else this season too.
UD 35 Richmond 21 - This game is in Delaware so I'm picking Delaware.
UMass 42 UNH 35 - Could go either way, as this here is the game of the week.
JMU 42 W&M 17 - JMU is 2-0 at night at W&M and has a need to show up and win. Guess what? They win.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 9th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Hofstra 21, Northeastern 14. The Pride stays in the hunt.

Maine 21, URI 17. Maine warms up for big finish with UNH upset on their minds for following week.

Delaware 35, Richmond 34. Tough way to bow out of the playoff picture for the Spiders. Delaware reaches Top 4 in nation.

Villanova 35, Towson 14. Villanova works hard to the finish.

James Madison 45, William & Mary 21. JMU stays in hunt with big win over the Tribe.

UNH 38, UMASS 35. Legend of Santos keeps Wildcats playoff hopes alive. Sets up two huge games for following weekend: UNH home to UMAINE, Hofstra & UMASS tangle with loser out of the playoffs.

URMite
November 10th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Hofstra 21, Northeastern 14. The Pride stays in the hunt.

Maine 21, URI 17. Maine warms up for big finish with UNH upset on their minds for following week.

Delaware 35, Richmond 34. Tough way to bow out of the playoff picture for the Spiders. Delaware reaches Top 4 in nation.

Villanova 35, Towson 14. Villanova works hard to the finish.

James Madison 45, William & Mary 21. JMU stays in hunt with big win over the Tribe.

UNH 38, UMASS 35. Legend of Santos keeps Wildcats playoff hopes alive. Sets up two huge games for following weekend: UNH home to UMAINE, Hofstra & UMASS tangle with loser out of the playoffs.

Huh? You are certain that UR is out at 8-3?xeekx Maybe but to be so certain?

blukeys
November 10th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Huh? You are certain that UR is out at 8-3?xeekx Maybe but to be so certain?

I think any 8-3 CAA team would have a solid argument to get a bid. xnodx