PDA

View Full Version : Playoff games.. home & away

ChickenMan
November 6th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Here are some interesting stats relative to the number of playoff games played at home vs the number played on the road involving some of the top FCS schools:

ASU..

home - 16
road - 10

Delaware..

home - 15
road - 11

Furman..

home - 18
road - 10

GSU..

home - 32
road - 10

JMU..

home - 2
road - 9

UMass..

home - 3
road - 9

McNeese St..

home - 14
road - 8

Montana..

home - 28
road - 6

UNI..

home - 13
road - 13

YSU..

home - 16
road - 10

comments???

igo4uni
November 6th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Montana sure gets to play at home a lot.

ChickenMan
November 6th, 2007, 11:36 AM

correction on the UM games.. it's 28 not 33

MaroonMafia
November 6th, 2007, 11:39 AM
With so many teams fighting for a seed on the east coast and in the mid-west, is it really that big of a surprise that Montana has had a high seed in the West so often? Also, Montana's home vs. road playoff numbers aren't that far off from GSU's...

nevadagriz
November 6th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Yeah winning 10 straight "big fluffy" ( there said it for you) titles and making the playoffs 14 straight years will give you the chance for lots of home games. I realize that many of you can't get it through your fricking thick skulls that Montana has been a very good team the last 15 years and have deserved the right for those home games!
I just don't understand how come one I repeat one year with a poor schedule and fans from all scholls act like the griz have never played anybody and are given home playoff games??! I also don't understand how other fans keep bashing the griz because of close wins, would umass have settled for a "close" win last weekend? Would appy have taken a close win over gsu or wofford?
I respect the hell out of every fcs team, because those players and coaches put more blood sweat and tears into their job than any of you internet qb's! How come some of you can't show some level of respect?
Please don't say it is because of the fans cause I can show you a group of a-hole fans from every school!
Sorry for the rant and calling some of you thick headed just a frustrated passionate Griz fan!

Grizzaholic
November 6th, 2007, 11:58 AM
With so many teams fighting for a seed on the east coast and in the mid-west, is it really that big of a surprise that Montana has had a high seed in the West so often? Also, Montana's home vs. road playoff numbers aren't that far off from GSU's...

I was just thinking the same thing.

We get lambasted for playing home playoff games. It couldn't be because we have a good record most years and the years we don't quite get all the wins we need to secure home field throughout the playoffs other underdog teams knock off the top seeds and we get a home game that way.

aust42
November 6th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Not that Montana hasn't deserved being a high seed all those years but the playoff committee wants the Montana's, Delaware's G-Southerns etc. to host as many games as possible. $$$$$$. Attendance is certainly a factor even though they won't admit it.

joecooll6
November 6th, 2007, 12:04 PM
On a similar note, Ive heard UNI has never been seeded before. Any Panthers out there know if thats true?

UncleSam
November 6th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Obviously the entire SoCon along with Montana has had a big advantage over the rest of the FCS when it comes to hosting playoffs games. Based on those stats, the SoCon has had 66 home game vs 30 on the road. The Gateway is 29 home and 23 road and the CAA/A10 is 20 home and 29 on the road.

Those stats would seem to totally negate the supposed CAA regional advantage.

UncleSam
November 6th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Yeah winning 10 straight "big fluffy" ( there said it for you) titles and making the playoffs 14 straight years will give you the chance for lots of home games. I realize that many of you can't get it through your fricking thick skulls that Montana has been a very good team the last 15 years and have deserved the right for those home games!

Or you could say Montana has had the great advantage of playing in a league with no real competiton. As you say, 10 straight titles, seems to prove my point.

SeattleGriz
November 6th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Or you could say Montana has had the great advantage of playing in a league with no real competiton. As you say, 10 straight titles, seems to prove my point.

Or you could say we know how to bid properly when we aren't seeded - if you aren't facing a seeded team, highest bid wins out.

Don't hate Montana because they can afford to outbid other teams due to our strong fanbase.

Perfect case in point would be Colgate from a couple of years ago. Didn't the committee have to give them a second chance to put in a bid for the second round?

UncleSam
November 6th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Or you could say we know how to bid properly when we aren't seeded - if you aren't facing a seeded team, highest bid wins out.

Don't hate Montana because they can afford to outbid other teams due to our strong fanbase.

Perfect case in point would be Colgate from a couple of years ago. Didn't the committee have to give them a second chance to put in a bid for the second round?

Montana's fan bases is very similar to Delaware's, but UM is 28 home to 6 away vs UD's 15 to 11. It's not the $$$ 'bidding' that accounts for the huge dispartity, it's the huge difference in competition levels of the CAA vs the Big Sky. ;)

putter
November 6th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Montana's fan bases is very similar to Delaware's, but UM is 28 home to 6 away vs UD's 15 to 11. It's not the $$$ 'bidding' that accounts for the huge dispartity, it's the huge difference in competition levels of the CAA vs the Big Sky. ;)

Keep telling yourselves that! xrolleyesx In 1995 when Montana won it all they were a 6 seed and needed upsets to have the homefield through the playoffs which is exactly what happened and I believe the same happened in 2003 or 4 so we have had some luck getting home games also.

One major point all you genius's are missing is that, although you may feel the Big Sky is never strong, the 10 straight have been done with 4 different coaching staffs! How many of your programs have had coaching changes and been able to stay on top?

Don Read - NC Champion
Mick Dennehy - NC Runner-up
Joe Glenn - 1 NC runnerup, 1 NC champion
Bobby Hauck - 1 NC runnerup

Seems to me the Griz have been able to have a good team on a national scale with every coach that comes in which is not easy.

nevadagriz
November 6th, 2007, 12:39 PM
uncle sam it don't matter if we play a bunch of nuns you still have to win the games. The Griz have done that for 15 yrs!

UncleSam
November 6th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Keep telling yourselves that! xrolleyesx In 1995 when Montana won it all they were a 6 seed and needed upsets to have the homefield through the playoffs which is exactly what happened and I believe the same happened in 2003 or 4 so we have had some luck getting home games also.

One major point all you genius's are missing is that you may feel the Big Sky is never strong is that 10 straight has been done with 4 different coaching staffs! How many of your programs have had coaching changes and been able to stay on top?

Don Read - NC Champion
Mick Dennehy - NC Runner-up
Joe Glenn - 1 NC runnerup, 1 NC champion
Bobby Hauck - 1 NC runnerup

Seems to me the Griz have been able to have a good team on a national scale with every coach that comes in which is not easy.

I'd say that says a whole lot more about the lack of strength in the rest of the Big Sky rather then the greatness of Montana. Ten straight title, please name ONE other FCS league where any team has dominated a conference for 10 years. The closest would be the great GSU teams that won five in a row starting in the late '90's.

Also if Montana was so dominate during all those years, why is it that they have NEVER won a playoff game on the road???

UncleSam
November 6th, 2007, 12:43 PM
uncle sam it don't matter if we play a bunch of nuns you still have to win the games. The Griz have done that for 15 yrs!

It's a whole lot easier to beat nuns rather then good football teams. :p

griz37
I'd say that says a whole lot more about the lack of strength in the rest of the Big Sky rather then the greatness of Montana. Ten straight title, please name ONE other FCS league where any team has dominated a conference for 10 years. The closest would be the great GSU teams that won five in a row starting in the late '90's.

Also if Montana was so dominate during all those years, why is it that they have NEVER won a playoff game on the road???

The '95 National Championship game wasn't a home game for Marshall?

AZGrizFan

So does GSU.

AZGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I just don't understand how come one I repeat one year with a poor schedule and fans from all scholls act like the griz have never played anybody and are given home playoff games??! I also don't understand how other fans keep bashing the griz because of close wins, would umass have settled for a "close" win last weekend? Would appy have taken a close win over gsu or wofford?
I respect the hell out of every fcs team, because those players and coaches put more blood sweat and tears into their job than any of you internet qb's! How come some of you can't show some level of respect?
Please don't say it is because of the fans cause I can show you a group of a-hole fans from every school!
Sorry for the rant and calling some of you thick headed just a frustrated passionate Griz fan!

URI would finish second in the fluffy sky. GSU and Wofford would go undefeated every year. ;) ;) xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Just like last year when Furman would have gone undefeated in the Big Fluff, but couldn't get by our second best team in the playoffs.

UncleSam
November 6th, 2007, 12:47 PM

OK, 1-6, still nothing to brag about.

griz37
November 6th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Did you guys hear that App. St. beat Michigan, that means the Big Sky is weak! xrolleyesx

AZGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 12:49 PM
OK, 1-6, still nothing to brag about.

Every NC game is a home game for whoever comes out of the East. xnodx xnodx

nevadagriz
November 6th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Uncle sam which team did you play on that got beat by the griz? What was the score it must have been pretty bad , I mean with all your hate and all?????????

UncleSam
November 6th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Did you guys hear that App. St. beat Michigan, that means the Big Sky is weak! xrolleyesx

The Big Sky needs no help from ASU or Michigan, they are plenty weak all on their own. :D

AZGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Uncle sam which team did you play on that got beat by the griz? What was the score it must have been pretty bad , I mean with all your hate and all?????????

The Big Sky needs no help from ASU or Michigan, they are plenty weak all on their own. :D

Just answer his question, wise guy. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

putter
November 6th, 2007, 12:54 PM

No kidding. The Griz have not won a NC for 6 years and yet there are a lot of posters who use their lunch hours to look up stats for Montana and the Big Sky to rip us. Worry about your own teams and how many times they have played at home because what happened in the past is worth about as much as the halloween candy I just ate.

UncleSam
November 6th, 2007, 01:03 PM

Hey, I've got a lot of free time today and I'm having fun yanking the Griz's chain. ;)

Griz0383
November 6th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Yeah that’s it! It's rarely about the $$$$$$ and the real truth is that the FCS committee feels sorry for Montana having to play in such a weak conference so they keep giving the Griz a seed so the players, coaches and fans feel better about ourselves. It’s obvious that it’s not based on money and not by performance and history. The committee feels that since Montana fans were cheated by having to watch their team play a weak OCS and pathetic conference we deserve to watch nationally ranked teams come from all over the nation year after year from every conference to get their asses whooped on national TV!

Retro
November 6th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Yeah that’s it! It's rarely about the $$$$$$ and the real truth is that the FCS committee feels sorry for Montana having to play in such a weak conference so they keep giving the Griz a seed so the players, coaches and fans feel better about ourselves. It’s obvious that it’s not based on money and not by performance and history. The committee feels that since Montana fans were cheated by having to watch their team play a weak OCS and pathetic conference we deserve to watch nationally ranked teams come from all over the nation year after year from every conference to get their asses whooped on national TV!

For the record, since 1995 you can't simply outbid another team for a home game.. You just have to meet the NCAA's minimum bid for that round and and they don't go to a non-seeded team like montana instead of another school to get that bid.. It's going to be based on who has the better record all things being equal..

What happens is many lower attendance teams, even with better records may decline to bid on a home game, so then you will see a team get a home game because they did offer a bid despite having a worse record, etc... In the first round, i believe all teams that have playoff spots locked up submit bids before the final selections so the NCAA knows where to place a home game if certain schools decide not to bid.

putter
November 6th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Hey, I've got a lot of free time today and I'm having fun yanking the Griz's chain. ;)

Gotcha but, regarding the coaching, the whole FCS must have been weak because every coach since Don Read has gone to the NC game. Since the Big Sky is weak and does not prepare Montana well for the superior teams that the playoffs provide the FCS must have been having down years xthumbsupx

Barnstormer
November 6th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Every NC game is a home game for whoever comes out of the East. xnodx xnodx

Haha, so true.. App St was what? 30 minutes away from Chatty? :-)

Darn east schools.. :-)

appstate38
November 6th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Well Griz fans.... I guess if you get another seed this year that you should give it up for a lower slot, so that you would have to go on the road to win a playoff game. Then maybe the haters will quiet down.

Maybe teams don't want to come to UM because the field is longer/wider or maybe it takes 15 yards to get a first down for the visiting team.

appstate38
November 6th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Haha, so true.. App St was what? 30 minutes away from Chatty? :-)

Darn east schools.. :-)

Yeah 30 minutes... Sounds about right. So sorry there are more schools east of the Mississippi. Unfortunately the NC game is about $$$. And if you can fill up the stadium then that is the way it is.

Or could there be just a BIT of jealousy cause the NC is played in SoCon territory. xwhistlex

89Hen
November 6th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Nice try spinmeister. The Griz have NEVER won a road playoff game.

Ud1Hens
November 6th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Unless Chatty is driving distance away I would hardly say "darn east schools." There is very little difference between Montana jumping on a plane and flying to Chatty and say UD or UMASS doing the same thing. A plane ride is going to be the same from Montana or Delaware. It is only a benefit if a large amount of fans can get in a car and drive a few hours to the NC game.

89Hen
Delaware..

home - 15
road - 11

JMU..

home - 2
road - 9

UMass..

home - 3
road - 9
The quick observation is that the rest of the CAA gets screwed by UD's attendance. The Committee does not like to give too many home games to teams from the same conference, so without a seed, the Hens are going to make other CAA teams travel when they're in. :o

Ronin
The only real surprise on the numbers was GSU -- not as familiar with the east coast history.

Uncle Sam you're on target. The Griz have resorted to personal attacks as a way to defend their strong record against weak conference teams. I agree it's not that impressive to be "Big Fluffy" champs. As for seeding and home field advantage let is stand on record and SOS. If it does, then Montana is out.

They are hopeful that it's on $$$ and record, so they will be in for a home field advantage throughout. Montana has been untested with their schedule. I don't fault the players, but deserving of a seed?

JayJ79
November 6th, 2007, 01:45 PM
On a similar note, Ive heard UNI has never been seeded before. Any Panthers out there know if thats true?

If I'm reading the UNI media guide correctly (page 125), that is incorrect. According to their table, UNI has had the following seeds in the I-AA/FCS playoffs:

1985 #4
1987 #3
1990 #11*
1991 #3
1992 #3
1993 #13*
1994 #11*
1995 #16*
1996 #3

* Since they listed seeds higher than #4, I'm guessing that in the past, all 16 teams were seeded. Especially since the table does not list a UNI seed for their playoff appearances after '96. I have to admit to not remembering the particulars of the playoff seeding from back then.

griz37
November 6th, 2007, 01:48 PM

You can argue semantics all you want Hen, Marsahll was playing at home!

URMite
November 6th, 2007, 01:49 PM
For the record, since 1995 you can't simply outbid another team for a home game.. You just have to meet the NCAA's minimum bid for that round and and they don't go to a non-seeded team like montana instead of another school to get that bid.. It's going to be based on who has the better record all things being equal..

What happens is many lower attendance teams, even with better records may decline to bid on a home game, so then you will see a team get a home game because they did offer a bid despite having a worse record, etc... In the first round, i believe all teams that have playoff spots locked up submit bids before the final selections so the NCAA knows where to place a home game if certain schools decide not to bid.

I'm still not sure that I understand what you are stating is the process. Are you saying that any bid above the minimum has no value, because other than the seeds, the NCAA will give the home game to a 9-2 team making a minimum bid over an 8-3 team making a bid that is twice as much?

I'm still trying to see how in 2005. We were #12 and 8-3 played at a seed in round 1, and had average attendance of 7,000 (21,000 capacity) then hosted Furman who was #3, 9-2 and had hosted in round 1 with an average attendance of 13,000 (16,000 capacity) in round 2. I always assumed the larger stadium allowed us to make a larger bid.

nevadagriz
November 6th, 2007, 01:51 PM
You are right we have never won a playoff game on the road!
We can not deny this fact.
Does this make us a weak program?

89Hen
November 6th, 2007, 01:54 PM
You are right we have never won a playoff game on the road!
We can not deny this fact.
Does this make us a weak program?
Only on the road. xcoffeex

89Hen
November 6th, 2007, 02:00 PM
It said Grizzlies on the field. :p

http://www.marshall.edu/wmul/multimedia/pics/1995/1995_natlchamp_halfscore.jpg

nevadagriz
November 6th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Ronin, I could give a **** less if the griz get seated or not. I would love to see a undefeated Griz team not get seeded! First it would force the ad to schedule a little tougher ooc schedule!(even though it has been only one year of piss poor scheduling)
second it would just tickle you pink!
Third if the griz go on the road and won a couple games we could avoid this conversation next year!
Also SOS is a funny thing Had NAU upset appy, or if PSU beats Mcneese
our SOS looks a little different doesn't it ! SUU had a chance every week this year to beat a top flite team, had they SOS looks different.
SOS relies heavely on your opponents winning games.

AZGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Nice, ralph.

AZGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 02:02 PM
The only real surprise on the numbers was GSU -- not as familiar with the east coast history.

Uncle Sam you're on target. The Griz have resorted to personal attacks as a way to defend their strong record against weak conference teams. I agree it's not that impressive to be "Big Fluffy" champs. As for seeding and home field advantage let is stand on record and SOS. If it does, then Montana is out.

They are hopeful that it's on $$$ and record, so they will be in for a home field advantage throughout. Montana has been untested with their schedule. I don't fault the players, but deserving of a seed?

Griz and 2 NC envy noted. Again. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

appstate38
November 6th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I guess it is time for the Griz to become ROAD WARRIORS!!!

joecooll6
November 6th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Seriously though, does anyone know if UNI has ever been a top 4 seed?

Mountain Panther
November 6th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Seriously though, does anyone know if UNI has ever been a top 4 seed?

Jay posted this earlier, and it looks right. UNI has never been or 1 or 2 seed.

1985 #4
1987 #3
1990 #11*
1991 #3
1992 #3
1993 #13*
1994 #11*
1995 #16*
1996 #3

Ronin
November 6th, 2007, 02:25 PM

Montana is 2-10 on the road in the playoffs with only 1 win at someone else's field. I am not counting the win at a neutral site.

On the flip side Montana is 20-4 at home in the playoffs. Seems to be a distinct advantage for Montana to play at home.

http://www.i-aa.org/section_front.asp?arttypeid=568

Grizzaholic
November 6th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Ronin, I could give a **** less if the griz get seated or not. I would love to see a undefeated Griz team not get seeded! First it would force the ad to schedule a little tougher ooc schedule!(even though it has been only one year of piss poor scheduling)
second it would just tickle you pink!
Third if the griz go on the road and won a couple games we could avoid this conversation next year!
Also SOS is a funny thing Had NAU upset appy, or if PSU beats Mcneese
our SOS looks a little different doesn't it ! SUU had a chance every week this year to beat a top flite team, had they SOS looks different.
SOS relies heavely on your opponents winning games.

But if the Griz went on the road in the playoffs I would not get to sit in the N-Zone. Soooo. I guess it would be alright because I could miss some work and watch the Griz.

appstate38
November 6th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Montana is 2-10 on the road in the playoffs with only 1 win at someone else's field. I am not counting the win at a neutral site.

On the flip side Montana is 20-4 at home in the playoffs. Seems to be a distinct advantage for Montana to play at home.

http://www.i-aa.org/section_front.asp?arttypeid=568

Well given that info... Out of the contending/potential playoff teams, who has the stones to win on the road. The Apps weren't a very good road team through most of the 90's. We have won a few away from Kidd Brewer but it wasn't easy. I still think we are have never won west of the Mississippi in the playoffs.

In '05 UNI had what it took to win away from home.

ChickenMan
November 6th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Well given that info... Out of the contending/potential playoff teams, who has the stones to win on the road. The Apps weren't a very good road team through most of the 90's. We have won a few away from Kidd Brewer but it wasn't easy. I still think we are have never won west of the Mississippi in the playoffs.

In '05 UNI had what it took to win away from home.

most teams are not too good on the road during the playoffs... that's why having home field for the playoffs is a such an advantage.

Grizzaholic
November 6th, 2007, 02:41 PM
most teams are not too good on the road during the playoffs... that's why having home field for the playoffs is a such an advantage.

And Montana gets slammed daily for this because??? We get a seed and get a home game? Others don't win so we get another home game?

If most teams are not good on the road why is it Montana gets all of the hatrid (sp) for playing at home and not winning in the playoffs?

MaroonMafia
November 6th, 2007, 02:43 PM
What people seem to easily overlook is the fact that the years the Griz (and other teams) go on the road are the years they aren't as good of a team, and that the years they get home games they are a better team. Is it really a suprise that the road vs. home records in the playoffs look this way?

Some people look way too far into this sometimes...when you have a great team you get home games, and when your team is just an average playoff team you go on the road and play a better team and you should lose.

ChickenMan
November 6th, 2007, 02:45 PM
And Montana gets slammed daily for this because??? We get a seed and get a home game? Others don't win so we get another home game?

If most teams are not good on the road why is it Montana gets all of the hatrid (sp) for playing at home and not winning in the playoffs?

why are you asking me this.. I like the Griz... ;)

ChickenMan
November 6th, 2007, 02:47 PM
and when your team is just an average playoff team you go on the road and play a better team and you should lose.

apparently no one told that to JMU back in '04... :p

Houndawg
November 6th, 2007, 02:48 PM

Not sure, I think they're saying that you guys sandbag your way to a seed with a weak OOC? The thing nobody takes into account is that with the schedules being made seasons in advance, you don't really know what your OOC SOS is going to be until you start playing. We're getting dinged beacuse WIU has four losses (due to a brutal schedule), but they could beat at least half the teams that will make the playoff.

89Hen
November 6th, 2007, 02:51 PM
What people seem to easily overlook is the fact that the years the Griz (and other teams) go on the road are the years they aren't as good of a team, and that the years they get home games they are a better team. Is it really a suprise that the road vs. home records in the playoffs look this way?

Some people look way too far into this sometimes...when you have a great team you get home games, and when your team is just an average playoff team you go on the road and play a better team and you should lose.
JMU went 3-0 on the way to the NC in 2004. WKU won two road games in 2002. UMass won two in 1998. Even GSU had to win a road game in 2000 on the way to the title.

MaroonMafia
November 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM
apparently no one told that to JMU back in '04... :p

That's why I said that they SHOULD lose, but obviously there are exceptions! xthumbsupx

Ronin
November 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM

The question seems to be "Should Montana be seeded every year?"

If so, what are the selection criteria for seeding?

If other factors outside of SOS and record are considered does this detract from the sport?

gasouthern01
November 6th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Ronin I can understand that you may not be as familiar with teams on the east coast, but you really should learn the history of I-AA/FCS football and in those readings you will hear the words Georgia Southern quite often my friend.

Grizzaholic
November 6th, 2007, 02:54 PM
why are you asking me this.. I like the Griz... ;)

It was a retorical (sp) question. I think that is the right word. I am just wondering, have been for a few years, why Montana gets a bad rep for playing playoff games at home. People make it out to be that every team every year has to play on the road for every game and Montana is the red headed step child that gets to play at home and there is nothing anybody can do about it.

MaroonMafia
November 6th, 2007, 02:54 PM
If Montana is truly as *****ty as many believe, beating us at home should be no problem. No homefield advantage is worth 20+ points...

Ronin
November 6th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Not sure, I think they're saying that you guys sandbag your way to a seed with a weak OOC? The thing nobody takes into account is that with the schedules being made seasons in advance, you don't really know what your OOC SOS is going to be until you start playing. We're getting dinged beacuse WIU has four losses (due to a brutal schedule), but they could beat at least half the teams that will make the playoff.

I believe so... while I don't doubt the Griz should be in the playoffs. I am just not convinced they should have a seed.

Maroons
November 6th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Didn't know if you'd want to add EKU
Home - 16
Road - 17 (Including two NC games)

nevadagriz
November 6th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Ronin please name one year that the griz SOS was not at least top 30 going into the playoffs! This year it is down quite a bit , every other year our SOS has been very high along with our ranking and record!
Quit making this out to be some big deal that it is not! Every year that Montana has been seeded they deserved it!!!!!!!!!! Hell this year if mcneese deserves to be seeded so does Montana look at their SOS!
Also read my post about SOS

Ronin
November 6th, 2007, 03:26 PM
If Montana is truly as *****ty as many believe, beating us at home should be no problem. No homefield advantage is worth 20+ points...

How many points is home field worth?

joecooll6
November 6th, 2007, 03:27 PM

89Hen
November 6th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Depends on the teams.

The Hens are 6-0 vs. Northeastern all-time in Newark with an average margin of victory of 18.0 points. Northeastern has won the last three meetings in Brookline with an average margin of victory of 8.7 points, so the home field to NU against the Hens is worth MORE than 20. :p

Ronin
November 6th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Ronin please name one year that the griz SOS was not at least top 30 going into the playoffs! This year it is down quite a bit , every other year our SOS has been very high along with our ranking and record!
Quit making this out to be some big deal that it is not! Every year that Montana has been seeded they deserved it!!!!!!!!!! Hell this year if mcneese deserves to be seeded so does Montana look at their SOS!
Also read my post about SOS

I agree with you on McNeese.

As for going through all the past records, it's becoming a tedious task just to prove or disprove your claims.

My point is that some Griz fans feel they should be seeded based solely on their record and name. I on the other hand do not.

If the Griz are so mighty then why should they fear a road game?

MaroonMafia
November 6th, 2007, 03:35 PM

Obviously more than 38 points, there's no way we would have beat you in 2001 at your place...xsmiley_wix

SeattleGriz
November 6th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I agree with you on McNeese.

As for going through all the past records, it's becoming a tedious task just to prove or disprove your claims.

My point is that some Griz fans feel they should be seeded based solely on their record and name. I on the other hand do not.

If the Griz are so mighty then why should they fear a road game?

Do you understand the bidding process? Not being a dick, just asking. From what I understand, they seed the top four teams, then after that, they try to regionalize the playoffs as best they can.

Once all the teams are matched up, they open up the bids. For all teams not playing a seed, the higher bid wins and gets the home game.

That is one reason Montana gets home games if they are not seeded.

Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong here.

Grizzaholic
November 6th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Do you understand the bidding process? Not being a dick, just asking. From what I understand, they seed the top four teams, then after that, they try to regionalize the playoffs as best they can.

Once all the teams are matched up, they open up the bids. For all teams not playing a seed, the higher bid wins and gets the home game.

I believe you are right.

nevadagriz
November 6th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Ronin not being a ass or anything this is a serious question.
Will your SOS be hurt after your next 2 games? Your next 2 opponents are 0-19 combined.

DuckDuckGriz
November 6th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Here are our 6 road losses - this is not an attempt to justify these losses but, look closely

1988 @ Idaho (lost by 7)
1989 @ Georgia Southern (Blew us out, won the NC, one of the best I-AA teams of all time)
1994 @ Youngstown State (semifinals, played without our star QB, YSU won the national championship)
1997 @ McNeese State (lost by 4 with a MSU TD in the final minute, Cowboys go to the national championship)
1998 @ Western Illinois (snuck into the playoffs. Got our asses kicked)
2002 @ McNeese (blew a 17 point lead, lost by 3, Cowboys go to the national championship)

First of all - in 6 games obviously Montana hasn't had the chance to prove much considering most teams have something like 11 or 12 road playoff games. Next, look at the results/oppontents - many of these games were close and 4/6 of these teams went to and/or won the national championship.

Jumping on a bandwagon sure is fun when you don't know the facts (eh Ronin?)

sharkeycox
November 6th, 2007, 03:46 PM

You are correct sir. The other reason the Griz get more home games is because they are ususally one of the better teams in the FCS. This year is no exception.

If the Griz take care of business (meaning Montana State) they should have no problem at all with a top 4 seed. Hell only 3 teams are still undefeated. I just hope the Cowboys don't step on their toe and take care of their business as well. I kinda like the tradition that is being built between our 2 schools.xthumbsupx

SeattleGriz
November 6th, 2007, 04:04 PM
You are correct sir. The other reason the Griz get more home games is because they are ususally one of the better teams in the FCS. This year is no exception.

If the Griz take care of business (meaning Montana State) they should have no problem at all with a top 4 seed. Hell only 3 teams are still undefeated. I just hope the Cowboys don't step on their toe and take care of their business as well. I kinda like the tradition that is being built between our 2 schools.xthumbsupx

Hell, I'd be ecstatic if the Southland, Gateway and Big Sky didn't have to face one another in the first round. It would be nice to get some of the weaker conferences back East like the CAA and SoCon get in the first round. Some are essentially tune ups for them.

appfan2008
November 6th, 2007, 04:12 PM
amazing to me the disparity including the apps... some schools always play at home and some never do

ezgriz51
November 6th, 2007, 04:35 PM

I agree and this argument is beyond "tiring". I don't defend the Griz' OOC schedule, but it is what it is. If we finish 11-0, I expect we earned a seed. That would apply to all undefeated teams. The Griz have never received a TOP 4 seed they didn't deserve, and all other home games were gained either by winning, or playing by the rules in place. Why does this create such angst? Then again, I guess we should all have this problem.

89Hen
November 6th, 2007, 04:36 PM
1988 @ Idaho (lost by 7)
1989 @ Georgia Southern (Blew us out, won the NC, one of the best I-AA teams of all time)
1994 @ Youngstown State (semifinals, played without our star QB, YSU won the national championship)
1997 @ McNeese State (lost by 4 with a MSU TD in the final minute, Cowboys go to the national championship)
1998 @ Western Illinois (snuck into the playoffs. Got our asses kicked)
2002 @ McNeese (blew a 17 point lead, lost by 3, Cowboys go to the national championship)
FWIW, none of the teams that others beat on the road went to the National Championship game. xeyebrowx

IABison
November 6th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I agree and this argument is beyond "tiring". I don't defend the Griz' OOC schedule, but it is what it is. If we finish 11-0, I expect we earned a seed. That would apply to all undefeated teams. The Griz have never received a TOP 4 seed they didn't deserve, and all other home games were gained either by winning, or playing by the rules in place. Why does this create such angst? Then again, I guess we should all have this problem.

xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

I know I'm new around here, but I have been wondering why Ronin is so concerned where Montana ends up. What's up with that? Is he going to give the same love to the Bison in a few years? xnodx xnodx

putter
November 6th, 2007, 04:58 PM

I know I'm new around here, but I have been wondering why Ronin is so concerned where Montana ends up. What's up with that? Is he going to give the same love to the Bison in a few years? xnodx xnodx

Boy IA Bison, if you guys keep it up you will never have a road playoff game! Watch out then...

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 6th, 2007, 05:25 PM

I have been wondering that myself...It seems like so many on this site are more worried about whether or not the Griz deserve this or that than they are worried about their own teams. Look at the smack board right now...3 of every 4 threads is a Griz bashing session haha

skinny_uncle
November 6th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Boy IA Bison, if you guys keep it up you will never have a road playoff game! Watch out then...
If they do, it probably will be at Montana.

Khan4Cats
November 6th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Hell, I'd be ecstatic if the Southland, Gateway and Big Sky didn't have to face one another in the first round. It would be nice to get some of the weaker conferences back East like the CAA and SoCon get in the first round. Some are essentially tune ups for them.

I agree with this entirely. It is the unfortunate by-product of regionalization and cost containment that SLC, BSC, and GFC teams end up paired up while the CAA and SoCon, champs at least, get a MEAC or PL match-up in the 1st round. I know Colgate made a run a few years ago and that the Gateway also gets its fair share of OVC tune-ups, but due to the disparity in distribution of FCS teams nationally, the three western conferences end up matched up.
Say, maybe there is room for Dayton or San Diego after all....

AZGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I agree with this entirely. It is the unfortunate by-product of regionalization and cost containment that SLC, BSC, and GFC teams end up paired up while the CAA and SoCon, champs at least, get a MEAC or PL match-up in the 1st round. I know Colgate made a run a few years ago and that the Gateway also gets its fair share of OVC tune-ups, but due to the disparity in distribution of FCS teams nationally, the three western conferences end up matched up.
Say, maybe there is room for Dayton or San Diego after all....

Precisely why us "westerners" should be rallying behind their cause.... xnodx xnodx xnodx

Give us a few patsies to play in the playoffs as well. Hell, I'd vote for a PFL autobid! xnodx

Pantherpower
November 6th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Obviously more than 38 points, there's no way we would have beat you in 2001 at your place...xsmiley_wix

Hear that? It's kharma and she's a real b!tchxnodx

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2007, 08:59 PM

Colgate's case is slightly different. We were a seed, and so technically supposed to host at least through the quarters (and with #1-McNeese losing in the first round, through the semis as well). When bidding for the first round, we only put up money for that one game, not expecting a seed. Since we were technically supposed to be home for the next game (and then the next one), Colgate was allowed to submit a 2nd bid for the quarterfinal game. We were allowed to do so again for the semifinals. For reasons known only to a small group (including Coach Biddle, Interim AD Don Vaughn and President Chopp), Colgate declined to bid for the semifinal game. We got a nice trip to Florida out of the deal :D

At least, that's how I remember it happening. If 13 were around still, I'm sure he'd have the details

ChickenMan
November 7th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Precisely why us "westerners" should be rallying behind their cause.... xnodx xnodx xnodx

Give us a few patsies to play in the playoffs as well. Hell, I'd vote for a PFL autobid! xnodx

the fact that the CAA has played more 'road' playoff games than any other 'power' FCS league pretty much negates any supposed regional advantage that is attributed to the CAA. In fact Griz fans should all agree that it's pretty amazing that the CAA has done as well as they have.. as Montana fans know all too well how difficult it is to win on the road come playoff time... ;)

CAA.. playoff games..

home - 37
road - 49

I'll check the number for the other leagues later today.. but you can bet that no other FCS league has been sent on the road more often than the CAA.

Umass74
November 7th, 2007, 09:15 AM
UMass is 3-0 in home playoff games. Wins against Lehigh, Lafayette and UNH.

We're 5-4 in road playoff games. Wins at Nevada-Reno, McNeese, Northwestern State, Furman and Montana.

Road playoff losses: Eastern Kentucky, William & Mary (before they joined the league), Georgia Southern and Colgate.

We're 1-2 in National Championship games.

89Hen
November 7th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Give us a few patsies to play in the playoffs as well.
xnonono2x Do you need me to break out the numbers again. xnonox

putter
November 7th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Funny, now we have 10 pages of arguments that could have been completed in 2. Everyone knew of Montana's schedule since before the season started and yet still put them at 2 (I had them at 5, and was even questioned by Mr C as to why I had them so low). How many people make the playoff brackets and where are they from? I doubt there are any Montana homers on there that would put them as a seed just for fun. Yes, IMO if you look at SOS the do fall short of UNI, ASU, Delaware but we fans don't make the seeds. Petition the committee to not seed Montana and that may send a message to our AD's that you need to look hard at your OOC teams (which other than Ft Lewis, I don't think was that bad). If you don't like the system then work to get it changed. Contrary to popular belief Montana and it's fans didn't make the rules we just have become good at using them to our advantage -- like supporting our school!

ChickenMan
November 7th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Here are the stats relative to total playoff games.. home vs away.. by conference involving the 'power leagues' (current league members only)

Big Sky..

home - 40
away - 21

Gateway..

home - 47
away - 39

So Con..

home - 71
away - 36

Southland..

home - 26
away - 28