PDA

View Full Version : The Citadel's Lawson out for Season

Biff
November 6th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Here a good article from our local paper...

QB leaves as 'one of the best'

By Jeff Hartsell (Contact)
The Post and Courier
Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Bulldogs lose senior quarterback for season

When Kevin Higgins was hired as The Citadel's football coach on March 24, 2005, somebody asked him why he would come to a military school that had averaged about three wins a season over the previous six years.

One reason, Higgins said, was that the Bulldogs "have a quarterback you can win with."

That quarterback, of course, was Duran Lawson, and Higgins' words proved to be prophetic. The Citadel won nine of the last 13 games Lawson started at QB, including a 4-1 finish to the 2006 season and a 5-3 start this year.

But the fruitful partnership between Higgins and the mild-mannered senior from Conway came to an end Monday, as The Citadel announced that Lawson will not play again this season after suffering torn cartilage in his left knee against Georgia Southern two weeks ago.

"It was a difficult thing to watch my teammates play without me on Saturday," said Lawson, who watched the Bulldogs' 45-24 loss to Appalachian State from the handicapped section behind The Citadel's bench at Johnson Hagood Stadium. "But I'll just have to play a leadership role the rest of the season and stay behind my teammates."

Lawson underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair the medial meniscus in his knee last Thursday. If the meniscus had been irreparable, surgeon Dr. Kenny Caldwell could have removed it and Lawson might have been able to return to the field.

But the meniscus was repairable, and the rehabilitation time required will not allow Lawson to play Saturday against Elon or in the season finale Nov. 17 at VMI, said director of sports medicine Andy Clawson.

"They said it's better in the long run to have it repaired," Lawson said. "I want to be able to run around with my kids when I'm 50 years old."

Lawson ends his career as the Bulldogs' all-time leading passer with 5,376 yards. With 6,580 yards of total offense, he is 158 yards shy of breaking The Citadel's most esteemed football record, quarterback Jack Douglas' career mark of 6,737 yards set from 1989 to 1992, the year Douglas led the Bulldogs to the Southern Conference title. And Lawson did it all in just 33 career games, his sophomore and senior seasons cut short by knee injuries.

Entire Article: http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/nov/06/qb_leaves_as_one_best21345/

ButlerGSU
November 6th, 2007, 06:44 AM
That's too bad but I think he made the right decision in the long run. Everyone at GSU wanted him to return so yall could whoop Elon Satuday... how'd the backup QB look?

Biff
November 6th, 2007, 06:48 AM
He looked great. Rushed for 64 yds. Threw for 297 going 20-36-1 and 1 TD. Not bad for the first time he has started since the first game of the season his senior year in HS. HE still has a lot of room to grow, but the future looks promising for him.

gophoenix
November 6th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Good decision to take care of himself to not risk ruining the rest of his life by damaging his body more. I hate to see a talented senior go down this late in the season. That's tough.

appfan2008
November 6th, 2007, 07:15 AM
So sad to see... What a great player and now a great loss for The Citadel... Bummer to see him go out like that... That will also hurt their chances to beat Elon this weekend... should be interesting

trusty
November 6th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Thats a shame, he was a good player

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2007, 07:23 AM
He was a great player!!

Mountaineer#96
November 6th, 2007, 08:23 AM
I hope this does not mess up his plans with the Army. He was a great QB, and is a better person without question.

ElonPride
November 6th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Good decision to take care of himself to not risk ruining the rest of his life by damaging his body more. I hate to see a talented senior go down this late in the season. That's tough.

I agree. Sounds like the kid has a good head on his shoulders. Hate to see the good ones go out so late.

Millwoch
November 6th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I hope this does not mess up his plans with the Army. He was a great QB, and is a better person without question.

He'll be ready for the army this summer. Had to watch the Appy game from a wheelchair in the handicapp section fo JHS. You know that was hard to do. I hope this week he will be back on the sideline.

The future is here for The Citadel. We have 2 more games for Blanchard to improve his game skills, as I think he will be the man next season. I look for him to have a much better game this week(not that last week was that bad, but could have been better). The running game must be better. I hope our secondary is really working hard to scheme against Riddle and company. I can't wait to see this kid in action Saturday.

GoldandBlack
November 6th, 2007, 09:39 AM
He'll be ready for the army this summer. Had to watch the Appy game from a wheelchair in the handicapp section fo JHS. You know that was hard to do. I hope this week he will be back on the sideline.

The future is here for The Citadel. We have 2 more games for Blanchard to improve his game skills, as I think he will be the man next season. I look for him to have a much better game this week(not that last week was that bad, but could have been better). The running game must be better. I hope our secondary is really working hard to scheme against Riddle and company. I can't wait to see this kid in action Saturday.

You guys are due for a breakthrough game- I hope it's this Saturday.

CID1990
November 6th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Bart looked great Saturday. We still produced 24 points, our problems are not now nor have they ever been on offense. Defense wins games and we'll have to use that to win. If we play defense Saturday the way we did against GSU, I think Bart will put up enough points for the "W".

ButlerGSU
November 6th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Bart looked great Saturday. We still produced 24 points, our problems are not now nor have they ever been on offense. Defense wins games and we'll have to use that to win. If we play defense Saturday the way we did against GSU, I think Bart will put up enough points for the "W".

I hope you are correct sir. We need to see Elon take another on the chin (who would have ever thought we'd be in a race with Elon for the SoCon title????)

ASUG8
November 6th, 2007, 01:36 PM
It sucks for him and for the rest of your season. He's a true playmaker, and that's hard for a backup to develop this late in the year. Good call by the coach to NOT be selfish and potentially cause major damage trying to finish out the season. Sounds like your backup can still generate some offense, so we'll see what develops this weekend for the dogs. Good luck.

lizrdgizrd
November 6th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Tough loss for the bulldogs, but I'm glad he made the best decision for his future. xthumbsupx