PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky power rankings---11/5

JALMOND
November 5th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Some things are getting cleared up. OK, most things are becoming clear. The one thing is that Montana is going to the playoffs, having clinched the automatic berth from the conference. The rest of the teams have spent the year beating up on each other, so much that, currently, EWU is the only team left that can get to the necessary seven DI wins to even get considered for an at large (and they have to play at NAU this weekend). After all that, here are the power rankings for the conference this week. Keep in mind all are my own opinion and all are open for discussion. This week (last week)...

1. Montana (1)---Griz keep it going after making sure Portland State's offense did not have one more opportunity for the win no matter how much time was left. Griz clinch the title and the AQ bid from the conference. Now to gain momentum for the playoffs. This week, a trip to Idaho State. Do they keep it going?

2. Eastern Washington (2)---A little bit tougher than one might expect, but the Eagles got the home win over upstart Northern Colorado. Still, its a win and keeps them in line for the necessary seven DI wins and an at large. This week, a strong test as they head down to Northern Arizona. At the beginning of the year, who would have thought that game would mean this much?

3. Northern Arizona (3)---Keeping it going for pride, the Jacks got a hard earned win at Montana State of all places last week. The Jacks have an outside chance to tie Montana for the lead, but having lost to the Griz the week before, there is no shot for the playoffs. This week, they welcome Eastern Washington to Skydome. Can they ruin the Eagles season?

4. Weber State (5)---Oh what might have been for the Wildcats. Higgins is emerging into a strong offensive threat, something they needed early on when the defense shut down both Montana and Montana State. Last week, a good game at home against Idaho State. This week, they draw the odd straw and play Fort Lewis (remember them, Griz fans). Dare we say cakewalk time for the Wildcat offense?

5. Montana State (4)---Sure the Cat offense was sputtering all year, but that defense was keeping them in the games. Now, a shocking loss on the road at Northern Colorado followed by an equally shocking loss at home to Northern Arizona. Have the Cats already thrown in the towel? This week a trip to Portland State and that high powered offense. The Vikings play very little defense, but will the Cats offense show up?

6. Portland State (7)---The Vikings put up quite a tussle at Montana last weekend. Still, business as usual as they found themselves on the short end as the defense could not get the ball back to that offense and a chance for an upset went by the wayside. This week, they welcome a struggling Montana State team to Portland. The offense has shown an ability to move, even against Weber's and Montana's defenses, can it continue against the Cats?

7. Idaho State (6)---The Bengals had not enough against a determined Weber State team, falling to them on the road. This week, a date with destiny as they entertain Montana within the Dome. Can they find the means for an upset?

8. Sacramento State (8)---Last week's nonconference rival game against UC-Davis proved once again that the Hornets were unable to seal the deal and get the win. Possibilities all year in the conference slate, yet they find ways not to get a win. This week, a trip to a pesky Northern Colorado squad. Can they keep out of the cellar?

9. Northern Colorado (9)---After last week's impressive loss at Eastern Washington, the Bears are wondering if we all can start over this year. This clearly is not the same team that started play this year, as they are now playing with confidence and gave the Eagles all they could handle. This week they get Sacramento State at home and a chance to climb out of the Big Sky basement. Is the second Big Sky conference win just around the corner?

A note of clarity as to where they really are. Montana firmly at 1, with EWU and NAU almost dead even at 2. WSU pretty much by themselves at 4, as well as MSU at 5. PSU and ISU in a virtual tie at 6, and Sac State up just slightly on UNC for 8. We'll see how this week shapes up. Could be interesting as everyone's pretty much playing for pride (and each other's seniors).

Poly Pigskin
November 6th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Looks pretty good. Hopefully EWU can pull out the win this week, cause it would be a shame if the BSC only had 1 playoff representative.

You're definitely right about Weber and UNC wondering what might have been, they're both playing much better recently. I'm glad we got both early in the season. It'll be interesting to see if they can continue to improve next year, particularly UNC so Sac St can reclaim their rightful spot in the BSC basement.

ncbears
November 6th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Looks pretty good. Hopefully EWU can pull out the win this week, cause it would be a shame if the BSC only had 1 playoff representative.

You're definitely right about Weber and UNC wondering what might have been, they're both playing much better recently. I'm glad we got both early in the season. It'll be interesting to see if they can continue to improve next year, particularly UNC so Sac St can reclaim their rightful spot in the BSC basement.

We've got a good opportunity to get out of the basement and beat Sac St on Saturady. I guess it was just a matter of time before these young guys started to gell. Hopefully we win on Sat.

DaGriz
November 6th, 2007, 09:12 AM
We've got a good opportunity to get out of the basement and beat Sac St on Saturady. I guess it was just a matter of time before these young guys started to gell. Hopefully we win on Sat.

Sac St. is looking good. I can't believe how many yards they put up last week. This should actually be a good game.

DaGriz
November 6th, 2007, 09:14 AM
2. Eastern Washington (2)---A little bit tougher than one might expect, but the Eagles got the home win over upstart Northern Colorado. Still, its a win and keeps them in line for the necessary seven DI wins and an at large. This week, a strong test as they head down to Northern Arizona. At the beginning of the year, who would have thought that game would mean this much?

This could be a great tune up game for EWU if they win out and get sent to UNI's dome. Give them a chance to play a high power offense in a dome.

STACCATS
November 6th, 2007, 09:30 AM
This could be a great tune up game for EWU if they win out and get sent to UNI's dome. Give them a chance to play a high power offense in a dome.

If EWU is lucky enough to make the field of 16, they will be going to Lake Charles, LA to take on McTeam. Remember, they don't seed all 16 teams, only the top four. With other matchups determined by geography.

Stubbins
November 6th, 2007, 09:46 AM
If EWU is lucky enough to make the field of 16, they will be going to Lake Charles, LA to take on McTeam. Remember, they don't seed all 16 teams, only the top four. With other matchups determined by geography.

Which is why Furman went to MSU last year????

I Bleed Purple
November 6th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Weber State has always played well in Cheney, so no cakewalk there.

DuckDuckGriz
November 6th, 2007, 03:30 PM
My game of the week is Bobcats-Vikings. I think we'll have two very pissed off teams hungry for a win going against eachother. It will be interesting to see how MSU matches up speed-wise on the turf at PGE.

Down with the Foe!
November 6th, 2007, 04:20 PM
My game of the week is Bobcats-Vikings. I think we'll have two very pissed off teams hungry for a win going against eachother. It will be interesting to see how MSU matches up speed-wise on the turf at PGE.

The GHS (Griz Hangover Syndrome) says the cats grab a "W".

It's pretty amazing how many teams grab a victory against the team the Griz just played. Mick had the #'s a few weeks back on his radio show. It was fairly high percentage as I recall.

MaroonMafia
November 6th, 2007, 04:25 PM

It's pretty amazing how many teams grab a victory against the team the Griz just played. Mick had the #'s a few weeks back on his radio show. It was fairly high percentage as I recall.

Not this year, however! Eastern, UNC, and NAU (so far) all beat MSU after Montana beat them.

SactoHornetFan
November 6th, 2007, 04:40 PM

What is so frustrating is that we have lost five games this year where we could have won in the fourth quarter. We lead against PSU and MSU (on the road going into the 4th) and were trailing by 7 or less (UM, EWU [well, cut the lead to 7 after a TD with 14:10 to go], UCD; all at home) going into the quarter. We are not a bad team, just a young on offense, especially our quarterback. I think this season for him will be like the one Nichols at EWU had last year.

Rightful spot in the BSC basement! xnonox Let's see Poly put the money where their mouth is and join the BSC. Guarantee that they would find the competition week after week to be brutal...which it is. This is one tough conference...always has been.

Poly Pigskin
November 6th, 2007, 05:51 PM
What is so frustrating is that we have lost five games this year where we could have won in the fourth quarter. We lead against PSU and MSU (on the road going into the 4th) and were trailing by 7 or less (UM, EWU [well, cut the lead to 7 after a TD with 14:10 to go], UCD; all at home) going into the quarter. We are not a bad team, just a young on offense, especially our quarterback. I think this season for him will be like the one Nichols at EWU had last year.

Rightful spot in the BSC basement! xnonox Let's see Poly put the money where their mouth is and join the BSC. Guarantee that they would find the competition week after week to be brutal...which it is. This is one tough conference...always has been.

The GWFC isn't exactly a cakewalk, and since 2003 we are 15-6 against Big Sky foes. I would love to join the BSC (just for football), that way we wouldn't have to play the likes of Iona and Savannah St.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 6th, 2007, 05:56 PM
The GWFC isn't exactly a cakewalk, and since 2003 we are 15-6 against Big Sky foes. I would love to join the BSC (just for football), that way we wouldn't have to play the likes of Iona and Savannah St.

Cal Poly would be a welcomed member but I don't see the BSC ever accepting a football only school

appfan2008
November 6th, 2007, 05:58 PM
wow... msu sure is falling off

GOKATS
November 6th, 2007, 05:58 PM

Won't happen- in the Big Sky you're either all in or nothing. Besides, I hope we never play Poly again.:o

putter
November 6th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I think the BSC will be very tough next year. SAC has a good D and young O. EWU has a young offense as does PSU (freshman QB), Weber has woken up all of a sudden and UNC is even playing better. 2008 could be very interesting.. xnodx

Poly Pigskin
November 6th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I know we could never join, it's been discussed ad nauseum on these boards. I was just saying it would be awesome and I think we would hold our own, unlike a certain northern California school (hint: not Davis!).

I Bleed Purple
November 6th, 2007, 07:44 PM

We got our first win of the year after playing Montana. xcoffeex

VictorG
November 6th, 2007, 08:38 PM

Bobcats are done for the season. They don't have enough horses left. Also, everyone has now seen all the tape they need to of Ash's Offense. No suprises left. Cat's will lose their two remaining games.

uofmman1122
November 6th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Bobcats are done for the season. They don't have enough horses left. Also, everyone has now seen all the tape they need to of Ash's Offense. No suprises left. Cat's will lose their two remaining games.Cats may lose to PSU next week, but the Griz will see an MSU team that no one else has seen all year. It always happens. MSU always plays their best game against us. Always. It's no gimme.

MTGrizzFan
November 6th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Cal Poly would be a welcomed member but I don't see the BSC ever accepting a football only school

i wish they would

AZGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I think the BSC will be very tough next year. SAC has a good D and young O. EWU has a young offense as does PSU (freshman QB), Weber has woken up all of a sudden and UNC is even playing better. 2008 could be very interesting.. xnodx

Not to mention the buttload of starters we're losing after this year. xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

Grizo406
November 6th, 2007, 09:32 PM
If Doug Fullerton came to me and said, "Grizo, pick two teams you want in the BSC, and I'll make it happen."

I don't think I could tell him NDSU & Cal Poly fast enough!

Still waitin' to hear from you Mr. Fullerton!!xcoffeex

AZGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 09:33 PM
If Doug Fullerton came to me and said, "Grizo, pick two teams you want in the BSC, and I'll make it happen."

I just got off the phone with him, Grizo. He said he lost your number. xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

already123
November 7th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I dont know if I would put EWU ahead of NAU....though it may be a toss up untill this weekend, NAU should be 2nd IMO

putter
November 7th, 2007, 01:03 PM

Grizo, maybe you can give him a job shoveling slop in the pig steyh. He couldn't do any worse of a job than he is doing as commish.

touchdown
November 7th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Sac will lose a good amount of the defense (7 starters) and a few on offense, they have some holes to fill for 2008. Don't forget sac was 4-4 in the bsc conference in 2006 and was 9 points from being a playoff team (close lossess to PSU and MSU) and a 7pt loss to SLO from being 7-4, so why is everyone so suprised that this year sac can't close out games?
Same as usual as far as i can see!

Peems
November 7th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I dont know if I would put EWU ahead of NAU....though it may be a toss up untill this weekend, NAU should be 2nd IMO

Why would you put them ahead?

Grizaholic17
November 7th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Some things are getting cleared up. OK, most things are becoming clear. The one thing is that Montana is going to the playoffs, having clinched the automatic berth from the conference. The rest of the teams have spent the year beating up on each other, so much that, currently, EWU is the only team left that can get to the necessary seven DI wins to even get considered for an at large (and they have to play at NAU this weekend). After all that, here are the power rankings for the conference this week. Keep in mind all are my own opinion and all are open for discussion. This week (last week)...

1. Montana (1)---Griz keep it going after making sure Portland State's offense did not have one more opportunity for the win no matter how much time was left. Griz clinch the title and the AQ bid from the conference. Now to gain momentum for the playoffs. This week, a trip to Idaho State. Do they keep it going?

Idaho State's always a spoiler for the Griz when we play in the dome! I am worried about that game!

Walkon79
November 7th, 2007, 08:43 PM

Agreed on all points. I just hope Ash and company have the right contacts to recruit some quality kids, both on the field and in the classroom. MSU is in a rebuilding mode in my opinion. I also hope the the administration and fans give him enough time to do his thing, cause IMO he has the right idea about building a consistent, quality winner.

Walkon79
November 7th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Cats may lose to PSU next week, but the Griz will see an MSU team that no one else has seen all year. It always happens. MSU always plays their best game against us. Always. It's no gimme.

i would agree most years, but we're the walking wounded right now. No less than 8 starters may be done for the season, 4 for sure.

Ronbo
November 7th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Idaho State's always a spoiler for the Griz when we play in the dome! I am worried about that game!

Why are you worried?

Games at Pocatello.

Montana 32 ISU 10

ISU 43 Montana 40 (ISU was 8-3 this season)

Montana 32 ISU 28

Montana 73 ISU 23

Montana 48 ISU 0

Montana 35 ISU 21

Note: In 1995 and 2001 we won in Idaho and we won the NC.

GOKATS
November 7th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Bobcats are done for the season. They don't have enough horses left. Also, everyone has now seen all the tape they need to of Ash's Offense. No suprises left. Cat's will lose their two remaining games.

I don't agree with your assessment of the Cats by any means, but the same can easily be said about the griz offense and what Hauck/Phenicie produce. I might reluctantly give um the ISU game, but Cat/griz is always up in the air. griz are in the playoffs (Congrats!!!), but I really don't expect them to go very far depending on seedings- the griz will probably get one, maybe two home games- after that it's up in the air. I just think the griz have been overrated all year and once they face some tough competition in the playoffs things will go downhill in a hurry.

Walkon79
November 7th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I don't agree with your assessment of the Cats by any means, but the same can easily be said about the griz offense and what Hauck/Phenicie produce. I might reluctantly give um the ISU game, but Cat/griz is always up in the air. griz are in the playoffs (Congrats!!!), but I really don't expect them to go very far depending on seedings- the griz will probably get one, maybe two home games- after that it's up in the air. I just think the griz have been overrated all year and once they face some tough competition in the playoffs things will go downhill in a hurry.

All that being said, I would have given my left nut for their O-line this year.

placidlakegriz
November 7th, 2007, 10:28 PM

This is exactly what you said last year.

I think we will get the number two seed and will have a trip to Chatty mid-December. The cats are back to their normal schedule - home for t-day.

GOKATS
November 7th, 2007, 10:39 PM
This is exactly what you said last year.
I think we will get the number two seed and will have a trip to Chatty mid-December. The cats are back to their normal schedule - home for t-day.

You will have to prove that to me- I actually think the griz had a better team last year than this year. If the griz get the number two seed remains to be seen, but I seriously doubt it happening.

Grizalltheway
November 7th, 2007, 10:45 PM
You will have to prove that to me- I actually think the griz had a better team last year than this year. If the griz get the number two seed remains to be seen, but I seriously doubt it happening.

If we win out, I'd be very surprised if we didn't get the #2 seed. Whether we deserve it or not is debatable, but the NCAA wants as many games at Wa-Griz as possible. UMass probably deserved it more than us last year (actually, they proved it on the field) but we brought in more money than they could have.

already123
November 8th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Why would you put them ahead?

They're a better team IMO. They are alone in Second place. More momentum. And EWU struggled heavily against a lowly UNC team...

kalm
November 8th, 2007, 01:27 PM
They're a better team IMO. They are alone in Second place. More momentum. And EWU struggled heavily against a lowly UNC team...

But so did NAU in the first half against the Bears. And you guys really struggled against a 1-8 Sac St. team losing 38-9. Hopefully we got our bad game out of the way last weekend. Both teams appear fairly equal but only one has momentum and something left to play for.

kalm
November 8th, 2007, 01:28 PM
BTW can you post a link to NAU's forum?

Grizzaholic
November 8th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Here you go.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=northernarizona&nav=start&prettyurl=%2Fnorthernarizona%2Fstart%2F

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 8th, 2007, 04:40 PM

IF Montana was going to loose, I'd rather it be this weekend then next weekend :D Here kitty kitty kitty xwhistlex