PDA

View Full Version : SDSU Head Coach Stiegelmeier retires

dbackjon
January 19th, 2023, 06:38 PM
https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/south-dakota-state-university/2023/01/19/south-dakota-state-football-head-coach-john-stiegelmeier-retires/69823797007/

After a 26-year career leading South Dakota State through the start of the Division I era and, most recently, to the top of FCS football, SDSU football head coach John Stiegelmeier's work is done.
After leading South Dakota State to its first national championship in 26 years and first-ever Division I football national championship, Stiegelmeier is retiring. Stiegelmeier, who turns 66 next month, made the announcement of his retirement in a press release distributed by SDSU Athleteics less than two weeks removed from the Jackrabbits' 45-21 win over North Dakota State on Jan. 8 in Frisco, Tex. to claim the title.

- - - Updated - - -

Might as well go out on top!

ElCid
January 19th, 2023, 06:45 PM
Yup, good to go out while at the top.

Libertine
January 19th, 2023, 06:54 PM
Congrats to him on a great career and the best way to top it off.

JacksFan40
January 19th, 2023, 06:58 PM
Figured he’d retire after getting a title, great way to go out. Love that Rogers got the HC job, dude is an outstanding coach and we shouldn’t miss a beat.

Laker
January 19th, 2023, 06:59 PM
After all of those years, this is the time to go out- on top. Can't top what he did this year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 19th, 2023, 07:29 PM
Going out on top! Sweet!

ngineer
January 19th, 2023, 08:31 PM
Congratulations to the Coach! What a great career and way to leave the stage.

Professor Chaos
January 19th, 2023, 08:53 PM
Good for ol' Stiggy - he's earned his retirement as the greatest football coach in SDSU history by a mile. Congrats on an incredible career and for doing it all at one school - that's an accomplishment hardly any head coach worth his salt can claim.

Interesting that SDSU will go from having one of the oldest head coaches in the FCS to one of the youngest. Welcome to the world the rest of us in the FCS have been living in of getting to worry about your head coach leaving and gutting the staff after every good year Jacks fans.

ysubigred
January 19th, 2023, 10:17 PM
Stiegelmeier must be set for life or just loves the fact he's going out on top,, surprised one of the BCS schools didn't try and poach him..

Bravo Coach Stiegelmeier

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

NY Crusader 2010
January 20th, 2023, 02:43 AM
Like a boss. Well done Stig. What a legacy.

atthewbon
January 20th, 2023, 08:17 AM
Going out on top

jacksfan29!
January 20th, 2023, 08:21 AM
Good for ol' Stiggy - he's earned his retirement as the greatest football coach in SDSU history by a mile. Congrats on an incredible career and for doing it all at one school - that's an accomplishment hardly any head coach worth his salt can claim.

Interesting that SDSU will go from having one of the oldest head coaches in the FCS to one of the youngest. Welcome to the world the rest of us in the FCS have been living in of getting to worry about your head coach leaving and gutting the staff after every good year Jacks fans.

Rogers is interesting. Other than 2 years at FAU, he has been at SDSU since 2006 as a player or coach. He is a good dude, intense, players coach, talented guy. The new edge you saw SDSU's defense play with, that would be Jimmy Rogers influence.

Professor Chaos
January 20th, 2023, 08:54 AM
Rogers is interesting. Other than 2 years at FAU, he has been at SDSU since 2006 as a player or coach. He is a good dude, intense, players coach, talented guy. The new edge you saw SDSU's defense play with, that would be Jimmy Rogers influence.
Definitely seems like a great choice to keep the momentum going for SDSU. The good thing about hiring a coach that young is that the bigger fish will be scared off by the youth and lack of head coaching experience for probably at least 4 years so he should stick around for the near term at minimum before the big money comes calling.

kdinva
January 20th, 2023, 09:23 AM
Congrats to Coach and a fine career...

Chalupa Batman
January 20th, 2023, 09:30 AM
Definitely seems like a great choice to keep the momentum going for SDSU. The good thing about hiring a coach that young is that the bigger fish will be scared off by the youth and lack of head coaching experience for probably at least 4 years so he should stick around for the near term at minimum before the big money comes calling.

I honestly think Rogers will do for SDSU what Kleiman did for NDSU, which is take an already great program to even new heights.

Winterborn
January 20th, 2023, 09:42 AM
I honestly think Rogers will do for SDSU what Kleiman did for NDSU, which is take an already great program to even new heights.

I agree.

Well done by Coach Stig as well. Brady could learn something from him.

Professor Chaos
January 20th, 2023, 12:05 PM

We'll see... Chris Kliemans don't come around very often (as we're finding out now at NDSU).

Daytripper
January 20th, 2023, 12:05 PM
Congrats to Coach for leaving while on top.

Friday I'm in Love
January 20th, 2023, 03:55 PM
He deserves to go out on top of the world. Good for him.

Pards Rule
January 21st, 2023, 08:51 AM
Good way to finish a career. Shame Tavani didnt retire after #150

katss07
January 22nd, 2023, 01:26 AM
Crack open a Joose, Coach!

McCowboys
January 22nd, 2023, 04:24 PM
Congrats on a wonderful career! xhurrayx

WestCoastAggie
January 23rd, 2023, 11:28 AM
As an outsider, I have to ask if this was really the best move for the ‘Jacks?

We did the same thing transitioning from Coach Broadway to Sam Washington. I think we lost our edge in Sam’s 4 seasons in 5 years at A&T.

Sure, we did win games but, as you all saw with us, it just wasn’t the same program.