PDA

View Full Version : Which of the playoff 2022-23 playoff teams will be back next year?

Cat4Life
January 14th, 2023, 06:25 PM
I know SDSU is returning quite a few players, as is MSU. NDSU probably should be assumed as a contender. But I have no feel for other teams. Between coaches leaving and the portal, I'm sure a lot can change. Just interested to see what people are thinking of what teams should be on the radar.

UNHWildcat18
January 14th, 2023, 06:29 PM
UNH was a young team, we will be back. IMHO

Tribe4SF
January 14th, 2023, 07:48 PM
W&M returns 18 with at least 10 career starts and considerable depth just about everywhere. Two deep at end of season had 48 position players listed and 41 return. Only loss to portal was place kicker and 4-year starter from Davidson has been added. Currently raising money for ice skates to cover all bases.

FUBeAR
January 14th, 2023, 09:23 PM
From a Team that was a very brief, light, inconsequential, and completely unnecessary jersey tug away from advancing to the quarterfinals, where their Defense may have matched up better than UIW’s did, as well may have been the case in Fargo the following week; Furman returns 18 of 22 starters (20 of 24 if you count PK & P), broken down as eight on offense and 10 on defense.

The 10 returning starters on defense is huge. By the end of the regular season, many thought Furman had the best defense in the SoCon, which was most evident in the dismantling of the CAA’s Elon. Yes, UIW ripped Furman for a lot of yards (as they did almost all of their opponents), but there was a stretch of 8 consecutive possessions in that game (2Q - 4Q) where Furman limited the Cardinals to just two FGs, which allowed the Paladins to rally from a significant deficit to take a 38-34 4th quarter lead and get the ball back, needing only a 1st down (instead of a jersey tug/holding penalty) to ice it.

Furman returns 7 of the top 8 DLmen off a group that rotated heavily throughout the season. So, there is quality experience and depth there without having that “headline” guy. The leaders will be DT Matt Sochovka (28 tackles & very stout vs. the run), DE Jack Barton (30 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 2.5 sacks), DT/NG Xavier Stephens (26 tackles, 4.5 sacks), Bandits (DE/LB hybrid) Luke Clark (41 tackles, 4.0 sacks), and Alex Maier (24 tackles, 4.5 sacks).

Similar situation at Inside LB, where All-SoCon Braden Gilby (94 tackles, 15 TFL, 4 sacks) and Bryce McCormick (77 tackles, 5 TFL) return along with a pair of experienced backups. Gilby and McCormick really elevated their play over the second half of the 2022 season.

Furman return all 5 starters (plus a couple of experienced backups) in a secondary that was aggressive and highly productive in 2022. The leaders are All-SoCon FS Hugh Ryan (4 INTs), All-SoCon CB Travis Blackshear (9 career INTs), SS Kam Brinson (led FCS with 4 FR), and CBs Micah Robinson (3 INTs), and CB Cally Chizik (2 pick-sixes in ‘22, 2 INTs/pick-six vs. UIW).

Offensively, Furman will continue to be very balanced. Though the loss of consensus All-American TE Ryan Miller is undeniably significant, expected to ably take over at TE is Parks Gissinger, who will be back for his 2nd year as a grad transfer from Michigan State.

Furman returns 3 of 5 starting OLmen, 2 of those are All-SoCon - OT Pearson Toomey and OG Jacob Johanning. Johanning was a 1st Team AFCA All-America pick and will likely be tabbed as the SoCon’s top returning OL in 2023.

The WR corps should be solid with the return of the top 3 Players: Josh Harris (48 rec., 665 yds. 5 TDs), Kyndel Dean (44 rec., 407 yds.), and Wayne Anderson, Jr. (39 rec., 396 yds., 2 TDs).

The Offensive backfield appears to be in good shape with All-SoCon Dominic Roberto (1,120 yds., 11 TDs) returning. Grant Robinson and Myion Hicks have proven ability as backups & change of pace backs.

The biggest difference-maker heading into 2023, though, is QB Tyler Huff (2,199 yds., 15 TD passing TDs/694 yds., 8 TDs), who was a major factor in Furman going from 6 wins in 2021 ago to 10 wins last season. Huff is a physically tough, true dual threat playmaker, something Furman hasn’t had in years. Huff was superb down the stretch, punishing Chattanooga (132 rush/TD), Mercer (79 rush/TD), and Elon (93 rush/TD) with his legs and his arm (640 yds./3 TDs in those games). Tremendously respected by his teammates as a leader, Huff is as good, and as effective, as any Paladin QB FUBeAR has seen - and that goes back over 45 years.

2 other factors greatly impacted Furman’s rise in 2022 and will only have more impact in 2023. 1st was the hiring of Justin Roper from Holy Cross as Furman’s OC. Huff and the Furman Offense thrived under Roper’s wing, and seemed to be making huge strides over the 2nd half of the season (notable that Huff was injured/out vs. Samford - Furman’s only SoCon loss). 2nd was the hiring of former Presbyterian Head Coach Tommy Spangler as CB Coach and Special Teams Coord. Furman led the FCS with 18 INTs, turnovers gained (29), and blocked kicks (10) in 2022. Spangler had A LOT to do with each of those results.

FUBeAR is quite BULLISH on the 2023 Furman Paladins. You should be too.

ElCid
January 14th, 2023, 10:53 PM
Furman sucks.

FUBeAR
January 14th, 2023, 11:41 PM
Furman sucks.
so succinct

ElonFirefighter
January 15th, 2023, 10:12 AM
Furman sucks.

If Furman sucks what does that make citadel???

ElCid
January 15th, 2023, 11:26 AM
If Furman sucks what does that make citadel???

Outstanding, as it has always been.

SU DOG
January 15th, 2023, 08:56 PM
I agree about Furman making it again. I think also that many folks, especially around the SoCon, think (and maybe hope) that Samford lost too much to be good this season. Samford did lose a ton, but I think there is enough outstanding returnees, Portal newbies, and signees to make the Dogs a contender again.

FUBeAR
January 15th, 2023, 11:47 PM
I agree about Furman making it again. I think also that many folks, especially around the SoCon, think (and maybe hope) that Samford lost too much to be good this season. Samford did lose a ton, but I think there is enough outstanding returnees, Portal newbies, and signees to make the Dogs a contender again.
Replacing a winning, long-time Head Coach is always hit or miss though. Right?

ysubigred
January 16th, 2023, 06:48 AM
Replacing a winning, long-time Head Coach is always hit or miss though. Right?Not at NDSU...

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Sader87
January 16th, 2023, 05:30 PM
Barring a rash of injuries, it's hard not to see HC winning the PL for a 5th straight time with our returning rostahhh.

Go...gate
January 18th, 2023, 12:22 AM
Barring a rash of injuries, it's hard not to see HC winning the PL for a 5th straight time with our returning rostahhh.

Yes.

Fordham could also be strong again.