PDA

View Full Version : Wofford does not deserve a playoff berth

woffordgrad94
November 5th, 2007, 10:10 AM
OK, Wofford is reeling now, having lost 2 of 3 and almost allowing a last place team to come from way behind to defeat them. This is a team going backwards, not forwards. They are not finishing up strong. The SoCon bids should go to App. State (defending champions), Elon (beat both WC and GSU), and GSU (one of the hottest teams in the country right now, and getting better every week). Wofford seems like a first-round casulty to be sure if they got in. They had there chance, but as local radio said, "they blew it, and WC fans have every right to be disgusted" A season that started out with such expectations and such promise has ended up in the toilet. I think it's all over. I expected to at least do what we did in 2003, and now it ain't going to happen. I'm bummed out.

ASUG8
November 5th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I think you're being a bit hard on the program. WU still has the goods, and I think they'll do well post season. I haven't followed your injury situation, but I think we're all a bit banged up at this point in the season. Offensively, you Elon and GSU are about as good as it gets in the SoCon (well, we had a pretty good week too!). Don't fall off the wagon just yet - there is still life in Spartanburg.

woffordgrad94
November 5th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I think you're being a bit hard on the program. WU still has the goods, and I think they'll do well post season. I haven't followed your injury situation, but I think we're all a bit banged up at this point in the season. Offensively, you Elon and GSU are about as good as it gets in the SoCon (well, we had a pretty good week too!). Don't fall off the wagon just yet - there is still life in Spartanburg.

I will ALWAYS be on the wagon. I LOVE my school and it's football program! But I'm disappointed, because after we beat you guys (ASU), I thought for sure we'd be playoff bound. Now, if I were on the playoff committee and had to be a totally unbiased evaluator of all the teams, I would say other SoCon teams are more deserving right now than us. I guess we might still get it (it's according to what happens the rest of the season), but many people around here seem to think we are done as far as the postseason goes. And for a season where so much was expected from many Wofford people, that's sad. We feel we did not realize our potential. I never use injuries as an excuse because most everyone has them and must play through them. We aren't the only team with hurt guys!

Go Apps
November 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Wrong - this is a tough league, and Wofford deserves to be in - just beat UTC - not many will be able to stop the run!

appstate38
November 5th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I will ALWAYS be on the wagon. I LOVE my school and it's football program! But I'm disappointed, because after we beat you guys (ASU), I thought for sure we'd be playoff bound. Now, if I were on the playoff committee and had to be a totally unbiased evaluator of all the teams, I would say other SoCon teams are more deserving right now than us. I guess we might still get it (it's according to what happens the rest of the season), but many people around here seem to think we are done as far as the postseason goes. And for a season where so much was expected from many Wofford people, that's sad. We feel we did not realize our potential. I never use injuries as an excuse because most everyone has them and must play through them. We aren't the only team with hurt guys!

Well if it makes you feel any better We all probably thought the same thing after we won that first game in September. I for one, if only for a few brief moments entertained getting the 3rd NC handed to us after we left Ann Arbor and another SoCon title.

I guess that's why we still have to play the games.

drpnut
November 5th, 2007, 02:32 PM
woffordgrad94

Cheer up dude. Before the season started I picked us to go 8-3,5-2 and get a playoff bid. We beat Chatty and we are in. If you thought we were going to repeat 03 then I think that was unrealistic. We were strong then, but no one else in the league that year was very good. I'm as pleased with 8-3 this year as I was with 10-1 then.

Remember, my friend..if Elon and GaSouth loose Sat. we claim auto-bid. If not we are still in. Mark this down, Elon looses another game.

The rest of the country is not producing many strong teams with the exception of CAA.

Get your road trip gear ready my friend, we are road tripping. My son and I are already pumped about it.

I'll bet you a Beacon Chili-Cheese that we get in... Come on take the bet.

Holla

drpnut
November 5th, 2007, 02:39 PM
woffordgrad94

I also will say this. When we get into the playoffs we will be clicking on all cylinders and cause nightmares for some people.

I remind you Appy started the 05 playoffs at 8-3 and look what they did. This year we could go deep.

I believe we finally put together a complete game this Sat, make no mistakes and run for 350-400 yards.

Review the last 6-7 years we have always, and I say always have had a "bend but don't break"defense. We have always sucked against the passing game.

It also doesn't help when people like Shansey get down on us and as of now saying, "playoff hopes are dim." Does he not keep up with the FCS world? I even heard the radio guys talking about Sat's game a must win. They are full of bull.

So the press is partly responsible for the down feelings in Sparty. Do you honestly believe that Coach Ayers and the guys think that thaey have no shot at the playoffs?

CID1990
November 5th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Whoever goes from the SoCon will go deep.

JmuSkinsfan
November 5th, 2007, 03:17 PM
How many at large bids are handed out? 8?

I think the CAA gets 4 overall (3 at large) and the SoCon gets 3 (2 at large). Although I am starting to wonder what other conferences could send more than one team besides the Gateway, SoCon and CAA...so you could see 4 at large from the CAA and 3 at large from the SoCon and then 2 bids (1 at large) from the Gateway. Just a thought though, I'm sure someone will come on hot at the end of the season so that there are only 5 at large bids from the CAA and SoCon combined...

JmuSkinsfan
November 5th, 2007, 03:19 PM
And I'm not expert on the SoCon by any means. But if I had to choose now, I'd say that App. State, Ga. Southern and WC get the bids from the SoCon at seasons end. I don't think Elon is all that good, but maybe they'll prove me wrong.

dungeonjoe
November 5th, 2007, 03:56 PM
OK, Wofford is reeling now, having lost 2 of 3 and almost allowing a last place team to come from way behind to defeat them. This is a team going backwards, not forwards. They are not finishing up strong. The SoCon bids should go to App. State (defending champions), Elon (beat both WC and GSU), and GSU (one of the hottest teams in the country right now, and getting better every week). Wofford seems like a first-round casulty to be sure if they got in. They had there chance, but as local radio said, "they blew it, and WC fans have every right to be disgusted" A season that started out with such expectations and such promise has ended up in the toilet. I think it's all over. I expected to at least do what we did in 2003, and now it ain't going to happen. I'm bummed out.

go find Chaplain Skinner...you need some hope! It ain't over yet! The fat lady ain't sung, and there is still football to be played.

ElonPride
November 5th, 2007, 04:00 PM
And I'm not expert on the SoCon by any means. But if I had to choose now, I'd say that App. State, Ga. Southern and WC get the bids from the SoCon at seasons end. I don't think Elon is all that good, but maybe they'll prove me wrong.

Elon's offense is awesome, but the D could sure use some help.

boonegoon
November 5th, 2007, 04:02 PM
No offense brother, but it sounds like you have Muchausens Syndrome. Your coach and team would kick your tail of they knew you were such a pansy.

APPride
November 5th, 2007, 04:17 PM

BUCK UP Dude...it ain't over till it's over, are you trying to reverse psych. yourself by giving up??

GaSouthern
November 5th, 2007, 04:19 PM
When we were a triple option team we seemed to always "peak" early in the season, esp under Mike Sewak. If you ask me, Wofford, if they win out, no doubt should be a playoff team, they are one if not the best team GSU has faced this year.

walliver
November 5th, 2007, 04:43 PM
I suspect we are on the bubble right now. Our chances of a playoff bid would be improved if one of the other co-leaders loses a conference game.

ASU and GSU are "name" teams which will almost certainly get in. If Elon wins the auto-bid, that leaves as as the number 4 team (just like 2002). This year has bothered me a great deal. In consecutive weeks I am being forced to root for Furman and The Citadelxsmhx .

Of course, the first thing we have to do is beat Chattanooga - and that is not a sure thing.

1) Chatty has beat GSU this year.
2) The Mocs tend to play us tough even when we have a better team.
3) Wofford generally has not done well in "impress the committee games" (An unimpressive win over Big South team Elon in 2002 and a 1 point win over Big South team VMI in 2004).

GaSouthern
November 5th, 2007, 04:54 PM
If you get stuck with the refs that we did during the Chatty game then you might loose, otherwise you will roll, have not worries!

terrierbob
November 5th, 2007, 07:31 PM
I suspect we are on the bubble right now. Our chances of a playoff bid would be improved if one of the other co-leaders loses a conference game.

ASU and GSU are "name" teams which will almost certainly get in. If Elon wins the auto-bid, that leaves as as the number 4 team (just like 2002). This year has bothered me a great deal. In consecutive weeks I am being forced to root for Furman and The Citadelxsmhx .

Of course, the first thing we have to do is beat Chattanooga - and that is not a sure thing.

1) Chatty has beat GSU this year.
2) The Mocs tend to play us tough even when we have a better team.
3) Wofford generally has not done well in "impress the committee games" (An unimpressive win over Big South team Elon in 2002 and a 1 point win over Big South team VMI in 2004).

How do the Mocs do through the air?

RazorEdge19
November 5th, 2007, 09:49 PM

xeyebrowx Nothing personal, 94, but if you love your team as much as you claim, then this whole thread would never have been created.

appfan2008
November 5th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I definately would not be so hard on your team... I am sure wofford will rebound and beat UTC and at 8-3 they should get in...

GoldandBlack
November 6th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Good thing the coaches and players don't view it this way.

I say take it one game at a time, and the playoffs will take care of themselves. It could be, and has been, worse.

It's a season, not nuclear conflict.

http://disney-clipart.com/Chicken-Little/Disney-Chicken-Little-Sky-Falling.jpg

T-Dogg
November 6th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I may be frustrated! I may even get mad! But I will never jump off the T-Dogg bandwagonxnonox

We certainly could have played better over the last 3 weeks! Self inflicted issues (fumbles) really hurt.

However, never underestimate the short haired dogggggsxmadx