PDA

View Full Version : Wofford needs a kicker!

woffordgrad94
November 5th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I am STILL pissed about Saturday. First of all, I hurt my foot at the gym Friday, so I ended up listening in my room on a clock radio, and when Wofford dissed a tying FG and failed on 4th down to lose the game, I broke the radio and I had to buy another one so I could be up for work today. Mike Ayers, for all his coaching talents and doing more with less, yada, yada, yada, alwways seems to forget the kicking game and put far too little focus so such an important aspect of the game...a good FG kicker and the ability to hit FGs in crucial situations. That game should have went to OT! I'm not saying WC would have gone on to win, but they still would have had a chance! Which is it- is the FG kicker just simply very poor, or was MA just hardheaded and hellbent on taking the lead? If it's the former, they better recruit a kicker STAT! If it's the latter, then the coach simply made a poor decision to shun the FG.

citdog
November 5th, 2007, 10:07 AM
I am STILL pissed about Saturday. First of all, I hurt my foot at the gym Friday, so I ended up listening in my room on a clock radio, and when Wofford dissed a tying FG and failed on 4th down to lose the game, I broke the radio and I had to buy another one so I could be up for work today. Mike Ayers, for all his coaching talents and doing more with less, yada, yada, yada, alwways seems to forget the kicking game and put far too little focus so such an important aspect of the game...a good FG kicker and the ability to hit FGs in crucial situations. That game should have went to OT! I'm not saying WC would have gone on to win, but they still would have had a chance! Which is it- is the FG kicker just simply very poor, or was MA just hardheaded and hellbent on taking the lead? If it's the former, they better recruit a kicker STAT! If it's the latter, then the coach simply made a poor decision to shun the FG.

how many field goals have you made 94? there is alot more to it than kicking an oblong object through a giant H! go out and try it sometime.

woffordgrad94
November 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM
how many field goals have you made 94? there is alot more to it than kicking an oblong object through a giant H! go out and try it sometime. You seem to have missed my point. I'm not saying that kicking FGs are easy! But other teams in the conference have good FG kickers (GSU and Elon especially), and Wofford does not. We need to find one! They are out there. We just need to convince one of them to choose Wofford.

citdog
November 5th, 2007, 10:17 AM
You seem to have missed my point. I'm not saying that kicking FGs are easy! But other teams in the conference have good FG kickers (GSU and Elon especially), and Wofford does not. We need to find one! They are out there. We just need to convince one of them to choose Wofford.

chris tommie has one of the strongest legs i have ever seen. i saw him in high school at emerald. is he the kicker to whom you refer?

ButlerGSU
November 5th, 2007, 10:17 AM
You seem to have missed my point. I'm not saying that kicking FGs are easy! But other teams in the conference have good FG kickers (GSU and Elon especially), and Wofford does not. We need to find one! They are out there. We just need to convince one of them to choose Wofford.

Ill advised passes by your QB hurt you more than field goals on Saturday... I'm not complaining but that last interception he should have just gone down with the ball and taken the loss of yards.

pete4256
November 5th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Point 1: There were nearly five minutes left in the game, and it was entirely possible for GSU to do what they did and kick a winning field goal instead of kneeling on the ball.

Point 2: With Wofford showing the Eagles textbook execution on the perimeter, you have to think that the Terriers had about an 80%+ chance to convert on fourth down.

Point 3: That's Ayers. You take the failures with the successes when it comes to guts. I'd say that on the whole, Wofford benefits tremendously from Ayers' willingness to go for the gusto.

woffordgrad94
November 5th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Chris Tommie does not attempt field goals. Now that you bring him up, I wonder why he doesn't because, yes, he's got a killer leg...he must have zero accuracy. I'm discussing Patrick Mugan, the guy who kicks FGs. He is the guy MA would not let attempt a FG that would have tied GSU late. The FG would have only been 30-40 yards. This is Division 1 college football, for crying out loud. If you can't make a FG between 30-40 yards, you don't need to be on a FCS roster as a placekicker!

woffordgrad94
November 5th, 2007, 10:32 AM
I do see all the points you GSU fans are making, and you make some good arguments. I do not disagree with you guys. Still, most coaches would have went ahead and tied the game there, and I wish we had of done so and took our chances from there. But maybe Mugan couldn't have made it... and if he couldn't, you can't argue that that's a problem!

pete4256
November 5th, 2007, 10:37 AM
I do see all the points you GSU fans are making, and you make some good arguments. I do not disagree with you guys. Still, most coaches would have went ahead and tied the game there, and I wish we had of done so and took our chances from there. But maybe Mugan couldn't have made it... and if he couldn't, you can't argue that that's a problem!

Yeah, the decision definitely bit him. But Ayers didn't get to where he is by playing by the book. There were numerous "adventurous" calls on Saturday, and the only one that didn't work out was that one. Take away some of the other 4th down attempts and such things as successful quick pitches on third down and LONG, and the Terriers aren't in position to go for the win.

woffordgrad94
November 5th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Yeah, if we hadn't converted an earlier 4th down he went for in that drive deep in our own territory, MA wouldn't have even been in a position to make that decision. But when you have a shot to tie the game late in the 4th quarter, I think you should do so. But I guess maybe MA and I just don't see eye to eye on this, or we don't have a good enough placekicker to get the job done. Oh well, it's over now. He made his choice, GSU rose to the occasion and stopped us, and they earned the win. The Eagles deserve as much credit as Wofford and MA deserve flack.

mistyeyed
November 5th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Chris was hurt, and doesn't kick field goals. Mugan stepped in for all the kicking duties and did just fine. Yes, he has missed a field goal or two this year, however he is young, and improving. The problem with gutsy calls is that when they don't go in your favor, you're an idiot, and when they do your a genius. I don't believe the call to go for it on fourth was lack of faith in the kicker, or lack of faith in the defense. The defense had pulled it together in the second half and we had the momentum. Had you been at the game you would have felt the confidence of the team and thought, what the heck - they can do it!

I'm sure, knowing how it turned out MA would choose another call, maybe called a timeout and talked about it. But he didn't and that one call, one play, one moment should not define this season or this team.

GSU is a really good team with a big Oline, good athletes and coaches,
they were tough and fast. I say the same for Wofford, it came down to turnovers, we gave 'em, they didn't. Take away the points from turnovers and we win.

I think WOCO deserves a shot at the playoffs. They are a good team, that plays everyone tough. If they win their next one, I will be very dissapointed if they get left out of the party.

uofmman1122
November 5th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Kickers, huh? I'll get right into this discussion in a moment. I'm busy putting up my "I love Dan Carpenter" poster.

walliver
November 5th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Mile Ayers has put a lot more emphasis in the kicking game over the last few years. We now have three place-kickers on the roster (a far cry from the problems of 2004 when we didn't have a decent kicker of any sort on the team).

There was a lot of time left on the clock. And GSU had a lot of time to get into field position. On the other hand, Kevious Johnson was "the man" on the drive and he should have been given the ball to make something happen. (When the going gets tough, give the ball to the senior star). Mike Ayers gets a lot of blame for bad play calling by Wade Lang (the OC who bounces back and forth between genius and idiocy.

Baldy
November 5th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Tons of respect to your team and players because they are a top notch group of young men, but Mike Ayers is one arrogant a-hole and cost your fine football team a chance at victory. Its sad to see but his ego seems to get in the way of good sound football decisions. I will never forget that POS going for it on 4th down last year against GSU when your team was inside it's own 20 yard line. They didn't make it then either, but as was usual for last year, we couldn't even score after having the ball handed to us inside the 20 yard line.

CatFan22
November 5th, 2007, 08:57 PM
WE need a kicker.