#13 Elon @ #4 Montana

#12 Wofford @ #5 SIU

#15 Fordham @ #2 McNeese St

#10 Richmond @ # 7 GSU

#14 Del St @ #3 Delaware

#11 EKU @ #6 ASU

McNeese_beat
November 5th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Interesting scenario. Only issue I have is I don't see Norfolk getting in without beating Delaware State and if they beat Delaware State they would be seeded higher.

siugrad99
November 5th, 2007, 09:04 AM
I hear ya, but then you throw Del St. verse Delaware ? :)

ChickenMan
November 5th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Interesting scenario. Only issue I have is I don't see Norfolk getting in without beating Delaware State and if they beat Delaware State they would be seeded higher.

I agree.. changed Norfolk St to EWU... ;)

ButlerGSU
November 5th, 2007, 10:06 AM
After last season, GSU fans will do flips for anyone you send to Paulson for a playoff game.

Kosty
November 5th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Aside from the fact that they would NEVER put two CAA teams against each other in the first round.

putter
November 5th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Pretty decent brackets there CM. I wait for the day they get rid of regionalization. It is just the NCAA's way of crying poor and not giving the FCS it's due.

bostonspider
November 5th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Why is JMU seeded above UR, when they have a worse record and lost to them???

RAMS83
November 5th, 2007, 10:22 AM
MOST LIKELY OPPONENTS FOR FORDHAM-- ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN--

UMASS --AN A-10 MEMBER -- SOLID TEAM- LOST TO BC 24-14 WOULD BE AN ALL MAROON CROWD ..

DELAWARE-- A SOLID TEAM-BEAT NAVY-- THEY DRAW REALLY WELL AND WOULD BE EXCITING IN FRONT OF 15K

RICHMOND-- AN A-10 MEMBER -- COACH CLAWSON WOULD BE ANNOYED --PLAYING THE SCHOOL HE LEFT AND A FEW KIDS HE RECRUITED

HOFSTRA-- ALTHOUGH OUR SPORTS PROGRAMS DONT MEET OFTEN WE ARE COMPETING FOR PRESS IN THE NYC AREA WITH OUR FTBLK AND BBALL PROGRAMS--AND THINK THERE IS A NATURAL DISLIKE-- ALSO COHEN AND FOLEY DID COACH AT FU-- GAME WOULD DRAW WELL.

VILLANOVA-- WE PLAYED IN 2002 PLAYOFFS AND WOULD LIKE A ANOTHER SHOT.. THINK OUR SCHOOL LIKES PLAYING THEM AND VICE VERSA.. CATHOLIC SCHOOL-- CLOSE-- FU FANS WOULD TRAVEL FOR THIS ONE AS WELL..

ELON-- NOT AS LIKELY BUT PETE LEMBO IN A NYC NATIVE AND WAS HEAD COACH AT LEHIGH FOR 5 YEARS OR SO BEFORE ELON.. THEY HAVE A PRETTY 12K SEAT STADIUM..

FU COULD ALSO BE SENT TO A MONTANA ETC.. BUT THINK COMMITTEE WOULD TRY TO KEEP US CLOSER TO HOME.

ON A SIDE NOTE-- I DO BELIEVE HOLY CROSS SHOULD GET CONSIDERATION FOR AN AT LARGE.. THEY'RE ONLY LOSSES WOULD BE UMASS, YALE AND FORDHAM--ALL TOP 25.. THEIR BETTER WINS WOULD INCLUDE HARVARD, COLGATE.. AT TO A LESSER DEGREE LEHIGH. LAFAYETTE, BROWN..

Ud1Hens
November 5th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Just a heads up...The A-10 is now the CAA. Nova is not going to the playoffs, they have 4 losses.

RAMS83
November 5th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I was referring that we play them in all other sports in the A-10 so there is some rivalry. Didnt realize Nova had 4 L's. Anyway good luck to the Hens. I'm not sure if we want to play you guys.. lol.. We know you're a good team but I think our players and fans would love to tailgate and play in front of a big crowd. Im afraid though they're going to pair you with Delaware St.

henfan
November 5th, 2007, 11:12 AM
I wait for the day they get rid of regionalization. It is just the NCAA's way of crying poor and not giving the FCS it's due.

Huh?!

It's not a matter of crying poor, but rather hosting a self-sufficient tournament with maximum exposure. If not for the hefty bids offered by schools like Montana, Delaware, McNeese, GSU, App State, etc., the FCS would have trouble fielding a playoff that didn't bleed red ink. In addition, the chances of the FCS buying TV for early round games would be virtually nil without the triple digit bids from the UMs, MSUs, ASUs, UDs, etc.

Regionalization is an important element in first round games because it maximizes opportunities for more parents, students & fans to travel to games. This is especially important during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

What we have now is a mix of seeding & regionalization, which, IMO, is about as good as it's going to get. It gives some schools the opportunity to earn a seed through competition and provides some means of financial stability from others who can afford to offer up high bids.

I always find it odd that some people are so married to the notion that any artificial seeding process is going to somehow make the post-season more pure... as if there were obvious competitive differences between the #14, #15 and #16 seeds or the #8, #9, and #10 seeds or the #1, #2 or #3 seeds. At the end of the day, you still have to win four postseason ballgames to win the championship.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 5th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Huh?!

It's not a matter of crying poor, but rather hosting a self-sufficient tournament with maximum exposure. If not for the hefty bids offered by schools like Montana, Delaware, McNeese, GSU, App State, etc., the FCS would have trouble fielding a playoff that didn't bleed red ink. In addition, the chances of the FCS buying TV for early round games would be virtually nil without the triple digit bids from the UMs, MSUs, ASUs, UDs, etc.

Regionalization is an important element in first round games because it maximizes opportunities for more parents, students & fans to travel to games. This is especially important during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

What we have now is a mix of seeding & regionalization, which, IMO, is about as good as it's going to get. It gives some schools the opportunity to earn a seed through competition and provides some means of financial stability from others who can afford to offer up high bids.

I always find it odd that some people are so married to the notion that any artificial seeding process is going to somehow make the post-season more pure... as if there were obvious competitive differences between the #14, #15 and #16 seeds or the #8, #9, and #10 seeds or the #1, #2 or #3 seeds. At the end of the day, you still have to win four postseason ballgames to win the championship.

Most FBS fans and parents (if they live somewhat near their school) will probably have to travel a very long ways to see their team play in a bowl game. What's so different about this division?

ChickenMan
November 5th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Aside from the fact that they would NEVER put two CAA teams against each other in the first round.

JMU & UMass didn't face each other in the regular season.. so it could happen.

henfan
November 5th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Most FBS fans and parents (if they live somewhat near their school) will probably have to travel a very long ways to see their team play in a bowl game. What's so different about this division?

#1- The obvious answer is that we're not FBS. We have a post-season that could potentially extend beyond a single bowl game. When you have the opportunity to arrange a game that people can drive to, you do it. It sure beats flying teams, parents, students & fans all over the country for no reason.

#2- FCS first round playoff matchups are determined less than one week in advance, whereas bowl participants generally know weeks in advance. The quicker you book air travel for those games requiring flights, generally the cheaper it is.

#3- Bowls are financed mainly by corporate sponsors. Our playoffs are supported largely by the host teams in the form of playoff bids.

henfan
November 5th, 2007, 11:54 AM
JMU & UMass didn't face each other in the regular season.. so it could happen.

It's part of FCS playoff selection criteria that teams from the same conference cannot be matched up against one another in the first round.

UMass922
November 5th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Huh?!

Well said. I agree with you.

McTailGator
November 5th, 2007, 05:36 PM
a possible playoff scenario without regionalization:

1 - UNI
2 - McNeese St
3 - Delaware
4 - Montana
5 - SIU
6 - ASU
7 - GSU
8 - UMass
9 - JMU
10 - Richmond
11 - EKU
12 - Wofford
13 - Elon
14 - Del St
15 - Fordham
16 - EWU

#16 EWU @ #1 UNI

#9 JMU @ #8 UMass

#13 Elon @ #4 Montana

#12 Wofford @ #5 SIU

#10 Richmond @ # 7 GSU

#14 Del St @ #3 Delaware

#11 EKU @ #6 ASU

I wish they would seed all 16 again...

I like the chance to play teams from other parts of the world every now and then. it would be nice to have a Fordham come down to see the way we do things "Down South".

jonmac
November 5th, 2007, 06:16 PM
It's part of FCS playoff selection criteria that teams from the same conference cannot be matched up against one another in the first round.

I don't believe he was concerned about selection criteria. Just seeding the full field. If it was done NCAA would have to throw out that criteria.

Houndawg
November 5th, 2007, 07:01 PM

I think an exception should be possible in the case of conference opponents who didn't face off in the regular season.

appfan2008
November 5th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I wish all 16 teams were ranked again i enjoyed that... you knew what the committee thought of your team... not just that they were good enough to be in

WyomingGrizFan
November 5th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I'd seed the eight teams that took their auto-bid Conference Championships and then the eight at-large travel. It is rather interesting that though many denounce the notion of East Coast bias, over on Sportsnetwork.com both Rhode Island and Northeastern garnered votes for the Top 25 this week. Both are 2 - 7.

[No, of course there ain't no partiality here, both won last week didn't they? Besides which, they're both in the Atlantic Colonial ain't they?]

And this is voting for the Top 25 teams in FCS?

?

Retro
November 5th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Huh?!

You make some good points, but not great ones..

Regionalization doesn't work except for teams and fans that can travel by bus or car for just a few hours or so and only for teams along the east coast for the most part. It's not easier for Mcneese to travel to montana or vice versa than it is for Delaware to travel to mcneese and Fordham to travel to montana, etc.. All have to take a plane and the cost difference is minimal. Most teams book charters for fans anyway, at least those teams that travel well like Mcneese, Montana and Delaware.

It also disrupts the potential for the best possible matchups in the final 4 or final two, if it so happens that your top 4 teams happen to come from the same little area. What if the top 4 were Delaware, Umass, App state and Richmond? Then you had Montana, Mcneese and UNI ranked around 12th or lower? Would you send those three teams to the east coast or what you keep it regionalized and have montana facing mcneese or something like that? Doesn't make sense.

Just because Mcneese is considered by some to be in the western part of the FCS, they're not.. They're in the south just slightly west of the mississippi river.. Yet every year we're playing montana here or there in the first 2 rounds that we're in the playoffs. Nothing againest the matchup, but it's kind of like we will never meet in the championship game the way it is set up, even if both were top 2.

Crunch the numbers and you'll see there is no regionalization needed to maintain an efficient system. Not only that, fans need to see different teams not only for the sake of a different team, but to educate our fans.. Everyone knows the average fan of an FCS team does not know squat about teams outside their conference, but they do know more about FBS teams.

If teams aren't willing to meet the minimum bid to get a home game, then what are they doing in the fcs? Don't they want to play at home, win a championship and grow their program? Or do they just want to survive and stay in the black financially? So what if they lose a little money one year.. Wouldn't it be worth it if they can increase attendance and excitement by having a home playoff game for a change and possibly advancing to win it all?

If the NCAA is so hurt for money, then they need to get off their butts and get a better TV deal and some financial backers for the playoffs and championship game.. It takes effort not complancency.xrolleyesx

In order to make the whole FCS stronger, we have to encourage more teams to take a chance by bidding for games and entice their casual fans to come out for a home playoff game or making a longer trip to a road one, even if means driving 10 hours instead of 3.

89Hen
November 6th, 2007, 09:30 AM
#14 Del St @ #3 Delaware
Thank you for demonstrating how "seeding" all 16 teams is a joke. The Committee could and would do anything they wanted to get the match-ups they like. They did it that was when they did "seed" all 16. xnodx

89Hen
November 6th, 2007, 09:31 AM
I wish all 16 teams were ranked again i enjoyed that... you knew what the committee thought of your team... not just that they were good enough to be in
Not really. See above ^

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2007, 09:36 AM
ON A SIDE NOTE-- I DO BELIEVE HOLY CROSS SHOULD GET CONSIDERATION FOR AN AT LARGE.. THEY'RE ONLY LOSSES WOULD BE UMASS, YALE AND FORDHAM--ALL TOP 25.. THEIR BETTER WINS WOULD INCLUDE HARVARD, COLGATE.. AT TO A LESSER DEGREE LEHIGH. LAFAYETTE, BROWN..

Not yet ;) xcoolx

ChickenMan
November 16th, 2007, 11:56 AM
updated to reflect the latest AGS poll:

#16 Fordham @ #1 UNI
#9 Del St @ #8 Delaware

#12 JMU @ # 5 ASU
#13 EIU @ #4 SIU

#14 GSU @ #3 Montana
#10 EKU @ # 7 UMass

#11 Wofford @ #6 Richmond
#15 EWU @ #2 McNeese St

not bad.. even considering the regionalization factor

JayJ79
November 16th, 2007, 12:04 PM
I hear ya, but then you throw Del St. verse Delaware ? :)

I thought this was about NOT having regionalization :p

Saint3333
November 16th, 2007, 12:13 PM
updated to reflect the latest AGS poll:

#16 Fordham @ #1 UNI
#9 Del St @ #8 Delaware

#12 Wofford @ # 5 Richmond
#13 EIU @ #4 SIU

#14 GSU @ #3 Montana
#10 EKU @ # 7 UMass

#11 JMU @ #6 ASU
#15 EWU @ #2 McNeese St

not bad.. even considering the regionalization factor

I'd rather the brackets look like this as an ASU fan. I'll gladly give up the fifth spot to Richmond. That UNI-Delaware game would be fun to watch.

DSUrocks07
November 16th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Simple, there's just one bowl game to go too, not three or four. And theres a three week notice of which bowl your team would be playing in so you have time to plan for the trip.

putter
November 16th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Simple, there's just one bowl game to go too, not three or four. And theres a three week notice of which bowl your team would be playing in so you have time to plan for the trip.

I understand there could be more travel but I think that the multi games is where I called the NCAA crying poor. ESPN is broadcasting games in all the rounds, right? I would guess they are selling advertising in these games to pay to broadcast these games, usually at a profit. The semi-final games and NC game last year, I believe, had a better audience than 8 bowl games which means ESPN can charge a decent amount to advertise in the games. If the NCAA is keeping an eye on the cost of the tournament, when why not look at the revenue, not costs? Someone said the NCAA pays ESPN to broadcast the playoffs? Are you kidding me? I think everyone could benefit from the NCAA not treating the FCS like the red-headed stepchild and promoting the playoffs then things like regionalization would not be necessary as the money would be there to help the schools.

Benne
November 16th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I would love to sit in on that seeding meeting. Talk about ***** fits.

McNeeserocket
November 16th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Seems to me that the scenario listed above is how it was done before 9.1.1. After 9.1.1. they went to the regionalization brackets because of the flying fear at the time. Then they decided to keep it the new way in an effort to save money. I believe in the old system it was possible for conference members to play each other in first rounds. Don't know if it happened, but it was possible (not sure if this is true as I can't seem to find NCAA rules before 2001).

McTailGator
November 16th, 2007, 03:08 PM
a possible playoff scenario without regionalization:

1 - UNI
2 - McNeese St
3 - Delaware
4 - Montana
5 - SIU
6 - ASU
7 - GSU
8 - UMass
9 - JMU
10 - Richmond
11 - EKU
12 - Wofford
13 - Elon
14 - Del St
15 - Fordham
16 - EWU

#16 EWU @ #1 UNI

#9 JMU @ #8 UMass

#13 Elon @ #4 Montana

#12 Wofford @ #5 SIU

#10 Richmond @ # 7 GSU

#14 Del St @ #3 Delaware

#11 EKU @ #6 ASU

I wish we could go back to that...

This regional stuff is boring.

Syntax Error
November 16th, 2007, 04:06 PM
ISomeone said the NCAA pays ESPN to broadcast the playoffs? Are you kidding me?No, the NCAA pays ESPN for the games to be televised.

putter
November 16th, 2007, 04:32 PM
No, the NCAA pays ESPN for the games to be televised.

Maybe I don't understand the process, but that seems crazy.

siugrad99
November 16th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Ignorance... my apologies :)

Petrie Dish
November 16th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Delaware a # 3 seed even after a loss last week. Please... get your beak out of your @ss buddy. I will make this my "Homer Call of the Week"xnonox

Look at the date of that post.

siugrad99
November 16th, 2007, 09:18 PM
My bad :) i'll edit my comments & apologize to Chicken Man :)

ChickenMan
November 21st, 2007, 10:19 AM
updated to reflect the latest (11/19) AGS poll:

#16 Fordham @ #1 UNI
#9 EKU @ #8 Del St

#12 Delaware @ # 5 ASU
#13 EWU @ #4 SIU

#14 EIU @ #3 Montana
#10 Wofford @ # 7 UMass

#11 JMU @ #6 Richmond
#15 UNH @ #2 McNeese St

URMite
November 21st, 2007, 10:51 AM
updated to reflect the latest (11/19) AGS poll:

#16 Fordham @ #1 UNI
#9 EKU @ #8 Del St

#12 Delaware @ # 5 ASU
#13 EWU @ #4 SIU

#14 EIU @ #3 Montana
#10 Wofford @ # 7 UMass

#11 JMU @ #6 Richmond
#15 UNH @ #2 McNeese St

3+7=10
6+2=8

Wouldn't we still be paired with Montana?