PDA

View Full Version : UMass/UNH Discussion 11/10

WrenFGun
November 4th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I know it's quite early to start discussing this, but I wanted to see where people stood. I think this is very much a battle to see who's going to make the playoffs from the CAA North. IF UNH can win @UMass (and it's surely questionable, given how they played last night), one would have to imagine UNH would move ahead of UMass in playoff consideration, both in quality of wins and in head-to-head. With that said, I believe most prognostications of the playoffs just assume UNH will fall here (I'm skpetical of a potential UNH victory, myself)..

What are the key matchups? Is UNH in with a win over UMass and UMaine? Does UNH move ahead of UMass with a win? Interested to hear some thoughts.

UNHWildCats
November 4th, 2007, 09:01 PM
This game is going to come down to the final play... hopefully UNH is on the other end of the score then they were last year.. Should be a great game.

UMass922
November 4th, 2007, 09:10 PM
If UNH beats UMass and both finish 8-3, UNH would definitely have to be ahead of UMass for at-large consideration. Besides the head-to-head, UNH would have the stronger schedule and, most importantly, more quality wins. UNH would have one of the strongest 8-3 resumes in the country--possibly the strongest. UMass at 8-3 would be squarely on the bubble. So this could very well prove to be an elimination game (it already is for UNH).

WrenFGun
November 4th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Indeed...having not seen much of UMass, I was wondering what to expect. Coen reminds me a lot of Chad Pennington with his precision, and frankly, I haven't felt that Santos has been himself since he's come back from his injury, so that surely concerns me. The weather is tough versus both URI and NU, but I thought he got lucky against Hofstra, his first game back. If we get good weather, Santos should return to form.

How is Lawrence compared to Baylark? How does the D compare?

UMass922
November 4th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Indeed...having not seen much of UMass, I was wondering what to expect. Coen reminds me a lot of Chad Pennington with his precision, and frankly, I haven't felt that Santos has been himself since he's come back from his injury, so that surely concerns me. The weather is tough versus both URI and NU, but I thought he got lucky against Hofstra, his first game back. If we get good weather, Santos should return to form.

How is Lawrence compared to Baylark? How does the D compare?

The D is still very very good. I have no concerns there.

As for Lawrence, he's no Baylark, but he's very solid, and I expect him to have a big game against UNH.

As for Coen, he's been battling an injury, so it's hard to know what to expect from him--like Santos, he's not at 100%. But I think he'll be ok as long as the weather is good. That was the major issue on Saturday--our passing game was completely grounded. We have very good receivers (Rancher and Moore), and Coen's good at finding them for big plays, so I'm fairly confident that the offense will return to form this week.

Green26
November 4th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Haven't seen either school play this year, so don't really know how the game may go. Nevertheless, here are some thoughts. UNH has been inconsistent, but very good at times. UMass has been more consistent and stuck with BC (which is a big plus for them), but hasn't played a consistently tough schedule and has seemed, from afar, to being only good and solid so far. UNH will have huge incentive, as they need to win the game. This should be a great battle. Tough conference games like this can always go either way. Both are very good programs. This is what sport and football are about. Wish I could see the game. Good luck to both teams.

WrenFGun
November 5th, 2007, 07:01 AM
For some strange reason, UNH has gotten away from working the middle with Sicko and taking short passes to LeVan and Boyle, as they insist on taking more chances, which isn't really helping. Bobby Simpson needs to touch the ball more, also, as Kackert running inside isn't really working. We'll see how it goes, but it's Monday and I'm already nervous about it.

KAUMASS
November 5th, 2007, 07:14 AM
This game will hinge on the UMass offense and the UNH defense. The UMass offense has shown flashes of brilliance, and sometimes it only shows up for a half. From some of the games I have seen UNH play on tv, it looks like the UNH defense shows up sometimes and are not there at times either, much like our offense. If the UMass offense clicks all game, UMass should have the advantage as our defense has shown up all year.

Now with that being said, let's throw everything out the window because Mr. Santos will be taking snaps under center for UNH on Saturday.

This game is a toss up and anything can happen from a 1 point game to a two touchdown game in either direction, pending how the UMass offense plays. UNH will score some points no doubt. Our offense will need to answer with lots of points, as our defense will get some stops.

I already have my tickets for what should be a classic.

bluehenbillk
November 5th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Who would've thought that the loser of this game may be out of the playoffs. Wild past weekend in the CAA North......

ChickenMan
November 5th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Does either team have any key players questionable or out due to injury?

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Does either team have any key players questionable or out due to injury?

UMass is still without TE Brad Listorti, but that is nothing new. LG Nick Diana hasn't played since BC, not sure if he will still be out this week, but I wouldn't count on him playing.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 5th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Assuming that all the key players perform as expected for both teams, the the entire key to the game is the UNH defensive line. The run game of UMASS must be held to a normal output, the LB's must count on the DL to allow them to move laterally & make plays, and some pressure must be put on Coen. Absent either one of those two factors, it probably will be a good day to be a Minuteman fan.

Old Cage
November 5th, 2007, 08:43 AM
The long term weather forecast for Amherst on Saturday is terrific: high 40's, partial sun, low wind speed.

WrenFGun
November 5th, 2007, 08:40 PM
UNH's TJ Taylor is apparently out with a blown MCL (from the URI game). That's a big blow, as he was arguably our best DT. Josh Droesch (LT) has been out since the middle of the Hofstra game, too. Other than those two, and Droesch may play, as I don't think it's serious, we should be good.

WSBE
November 6th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I'm convinced UMASS has a major coaching advantage....all due respect to McDonnel.....he has been outcoached this year. Last week's game was lost on the coin toss...when UNH elected to defer with wind & rain on the way? playing a ball control offense with a big RB? ...knowing that UNH can't & has not stopped the run all year? knowing that UNH scores consistently on the opening drive? You have Ricky Santos & a prolific offense with about 10 minutes left of dry weather & little wind? WHat is your strength coach? it's NOT defense. That decision is inexcusable. What happened?...6 minute drive by NU, followed by 3 & out by UNH followed by 8 minute drive NU. 14-0 NU...game over. The play calling was bad & inconsistent as well. Then down 21-7 with 3 minutes to go in the 3rd qtr...UNH is at midfield on 4th down. At this point in the game, UNH hadn;t stopped NU once! (3 TD & a missed FG)...avg time of possesion for NU was 8 minutes on 4 drives (no exaggeration)...the conditions are getting worse & UNH was driving? what's the call? A PUNT? hmmm. Someone please explain - did UNH think that they would finally stop NU & get the ball back with such better field position down by 14? What happened, 3 minutes later, NU back to midfield, we're into the 4th qtr, any chance of a comeback is gone.... GO FOR IT Coach! This is an offense that can pick up 5-10 yards in their sleep, & they were finally driving. Further, gaining 20-30 yards on the punt is not going to get you the win. You couldnl;t make the pays on 2nd or 3rd down so if you are going to win, you convert of 4th down or you stop them at midfield on downs. Those are your choices in these conditions. Lets not forget that Chip kelly is the one who got the promotion to FCS & I think were seeing a suboptimized team right now. Kackert wasn't the best RB in the situation last Saturday. The power RBs ran the ball 3 times. The best was twice when they needed a couple of yards....here comes Simpson. Wow that was tough to figure out?! Just painful. Their defense was embarrasing to watch. The linebackers were pathetic & soft...literally bouncing off of NU players. The defense looked like tackling dummies with no arms. Seriously. The coaching decision were really clever. DOwn 24 points with 3 minutes to go (that's 3 TD & 3 2point conversions)....they score, but go for 1!? OK that just means they're not fooling themselves by trying for the miracle right? Nope, the next play, they attempt an on-side kick? hmmmmm. So are you trying for the comeback on not? Pathetic.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 6th, 2007, 06:58 PM
a very good source told me that Coen's injury is just a sprained knee nothing else, but if im UNH i would throw the full back screen, BC did it all day with ease, but i dont think UNH stops Umas in any way shape or form.

Ummm, UNH dosn't have a full back on the roster.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 6th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I'm convinced UMASS has a major coaching advantage....all due respect to McDonnel.....he has been outcoached this year. Last week's game was lost on the coin toss...when UNH elected to defer with wind & rain on the way? playing a ball control offense with a big RB? ...knowing that UNH can't & has not stopped the run all year? knowing that UNH scores consistently on the opening drive? You have Ricky Santos & a prolific offense with about 10 minutes left of dry weather & little wind? WHat is your strength coach? it's NOT defense. That decision is inexcusable. What happened?...6 minute drive by NU, followed by 3 & out by UNH followed by 8 minute drive NU. 14-0 NU...game over. The play calling was bad & inconsistent as well. Then down 21-7 with 3 minutes to go in the 3rd qtr...UNH is at midfield on 4th down. At this point in the game, UNH hadn;t stopped NU once! (3 TD & a missed FG)...avg time of possesion for NU was 8 minutes on 4 drives (no exaggeration)...the conditions are getting worse & UNH was driving? what's the call? A PUNT? hmmm. Someone please explain - did UNH think that they would finally stop NU & get the ball back with such better field position down by 14? What happened, 3 minutes later, NU back to midfield, we're into the 4th qtr, any chance of a comeback is gone.... GO FOR IT Coach! This is an offense that can pick up 5-10 yards in their sleep, & they were finally driving. Further, gaining 20-30 yards on the punt is not going to get you the win. You couldnl;t make the pays on 2nd or 3rd down so if you are going to win, you convert of 4th down or you stop them at midfield on downs. Those are your choices in these conditions. Lets not forget that Chip kelly is the one who got the promotion to FCS & I think were seeing a suboptimized team right now. Kackert wasn't the best RB in the situation last Saturday. The power RBs ran the ball 3 times. The best was twice when they needed a couple of yards....here comes Simpson. Wow that was tough to figure out?! Just painful. Their defense was embarrasing to watch. The linebackers were pathetic & soft...literally bouncing off of NU players. The defense looked like tackling dummies with no arms. Seriously. The coaching decision were really clever. DOwn 24 points with 3 minutes to go (that's 3 TD & 3 2point conversions)....they score, but go for 1!? OK that just means they're not fooling themselves by trying for the miracle right? Nope, the next play, they attempt an on-side kick? hmmmmm. So are you trying for the comeback on not? Pathetic.

Coach Mac didn't fumble the football, drop a pass, or miss a tackle.
There was plenty of blame to go around on Saturday.
Lumping it all on the coach is wrong.

WrenFGun
November 6th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I agree with most of what WSBE said, but ultimately, the defense has to do something to win that game.

WSBE
November 6th, 2007, 09:08 PM
...for what's it's worth, I have a great deal of respect for what Coach Mac & Staff have done for this program....so I was just so disappointed all week by that performace & the drop off in execution on all fronts...that I just had to complain about the coaching aspect first. Now I realize that the performace on both sides of the ball (not to metion NU's performance & plan) was the real reason for losing that game. But if you were sitting there in the stands watching the game, I'm telling you, it was jaw dropping when they deferred. I'm not exxagerating when I tell you that by the time UNH got the ball back, strong winds were coming in to Cowell Stadium & rain picking up. It was like Mother Nature was taunting me!! I just can't stand stubborness in coaching...like Francona not starting Ellbury against Cleveland. You need to give these kids the best chance to win & understand your strengths & weaknesses. Put simply, Coach did not give Ricky Santos a chance to win that football on his own. Period. That was a mistake. But anyway, to me the best win of the year was Delaware....& when you look at that game before Santos got hurt...they were aggressive on D, blitzing, containing Omar Cuff, D-backs getting up on WR....the offense was electric, vertical, spread, gimmic play, you had Boyle running all over the place & Jellison making plays, Simpson led the team in carries...weapons everywhere. So I'd like to see them go after UMASS (while controlling the ball with play action & Sicko over the middle. I can't wait. I still love this team...amazing that UNH has become a power house considering the hand they're dealt. I will be at the game & I'm bringing 6 others. We must beat UMASS!

UNHFootballAlum
November 7th, 2007, 03:20 PM
UNH should have consistently gone to 8 or 9 man fronts to stop the running game of NU and dared NU to beat man to man coverage to beat them. With that weather, if they beat you through the air , then you live with it. It is embarrassing coming from a former defensive player at UNH to see that kind of performance from the Wildcat defense. I pray that their d-line and backers gets off blocks and makes tackles against UMASS otherwise it will be a similar outcome

Minuteman87
November 7th, 2007, 04:07 PM
What's interesting is that both teams are going to be mad as hell after upset losses. Maybe it's my maroon-colored glasses, but I think UMass' defense can stop UNH's offense, but I am not sure UNH's D can stop UMass.

Maybe UMass will try and run the ball ala NU to eat up clock keep Santos of Bellingham, Massachusetts off the field.

UMass also has to stay away from dumbass penalties (which I am not sure they can do given their propensity for penalties this season). Two years ago when the Wildcats won in Amherst, UMass kept at least least two UNH scoring drives alive with 15 yarders after making stops on 3rd down.

I have a feeling this will come down to the last play like the 2 games last year. Looking forward to a great game. Unfortunately I am working and can't go. But I am looking forward to some lively postgame banter with my UNH friends!

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 7th, 2007, 06:00 PM
...for what's it's worth, I have a great deal of respect for what Coach Mac & Staff have done for this program....so I was just so disappointed all week by that performace & the drop off in execution on all fronts...that I just had to complain about the coaching aspect first. Now I realize that the performace on both sides of the ball (not to metion NU's performance & plan) was the real reason for losing that game. But if you were sitting there in the stands watching the game, I'm telling you, it was jaw dropping when they deferred. I'm not exxagerating when I tell you that by the time UNH got the ball back, strong winds were coming in to Cowell Stadium & rain picking up. It was like Mother Nature was taunting me!! I just can't stand stubborness in coaching...like Francona not starting Ellbury against Cleveland. You need to give these kids the best chance to win & understand your strengths & weaknesses. Put simply, Coach did not give Ricky Santos a chance to win that football on his own. Period. That was a mistake. But anyway, to me the best win of the year was Delaware....& when you look at that game before Santos got hurt...they were aggressive on D, blitzing, containing Omar Cuff, D-backs getting up on WR....the offense was electric, vertical, spread, gimmic play, you had Boyle running all over the place & Jellison making plays, Simpson led the team in carries...weapons everywhere. So I'd like to see them go after UMASS (while controlling the ball with play action & Sicko over the middle. I can't wait. I still love this team...amazing that UNH has become a power house considering the hand they're dealt. I will be at the game & I'm bringing 6 others. We must beat UMASS!

I was at the game....been at 'em all.

Would I have taken the ball, yes. I've always wanted my best team on the field to set the tone to start the game. Getting the ball to start the 2nd doesn't suck either. 1st set of down 3 and out. 2nd go the lenght of the field and can't stick it in. Now at this point NU has gone on 3 drives holding the ball for 15-16 minutes. 21-7 at the half and guess what they kick to us, nice. We fumble the ball. Score there and you're right back in the game. The team was not up for the game which is a function of the prior weeks practice. As I said plenty of blame to go around. With the little amount of coaching I've done (at a much lower level) I know it's far easer to sit back and second guess. I do love your passion though. I wish we had more brave souls to fill the stands. I'll look for you at U Mass.xpeacex

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 7th, 2007, 07:01 PM
As for the U Mass game.

This UNH team I can't figure out.

When they are clicking I think they can beat anybody...ANYBODY.
They are very inconsistant. Who knows what you're going to get.

I do know they're beat up, but who isn't at this point in the season.
If UNH wins it'll be because they got a big effort from both the O and D lines.....and a couple of big plays from #2:D

WrenFGun
November 7th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I was there last week, too. I think we were the four students still in the student section. It was embarrassing the way it ended. Ugh.

Minuteman87
November 9th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Geez, what happened. This thread on one of the biggest CAA games of the season died.

Hey, anyone ever notice that some of the best players in recent UNH history are from Mass.? Santos is from Bellingham, Jerry Azumah is from Worcester and Barry Bourrassa is from Weymouth. We did get Kole Ayi from NH though. Thanks for that. ;)

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 9th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Geez, what happened. This thread on one of the biggest CAA games of the season died.

Hey, anyone ever notice that some of the best players in recent UNH history are from Mass.? Santos is from Bellingham, Jerry Azumah is from Worcester and Barry Bourrassa is from Weymouth. We did get Kole Ayi from NH though. Thanks for that. ;)

And the Day kid.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 9th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Most of UNH's roster is from MA, CTm and NJ really adds to the Sox/Yanks thing.

DrG
November 9th, 2007, 07:49 PM
And the Day kid.

Ever hear of a guy named Landry from Nashua many years ago?

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 9th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Why yes...a proud Purple Panther.

rcny46
November 9th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Ever hear of a guy named Landry from Nashua many years ago?

Sure did! Greg Landry,Nahua,NH,high school,`64,and UMass,`68.He was the first QB taken in the NFL draft in 1968 (Lions) -ahead of the Heisman runnerup,Gary Beban from UCLA.

EmeryZach
November 10th, 2007, 09:58 AM
It is going to be a cold one in Amherst today.

Anyone watching college gameday at the Williams/Amherst game? Pretty cool. I played high school ball with the two Amherst captains.

Tailbone
November 10th, 2007, 11:05 AM
any internet audio or video for this game?

UNHWildCats
November 10th, 2007, 11:08 AM
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/college/?cl=3875472','playerWindow','width=793,height=608, scrollbars=no

Tailbone
November 10th, 2007, 11:09 AM
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/college/?cl=3875472','playerWindow','width=793,height=608, scrollbars=no

thanks.

UNHWildCats
November 10th, 2007, 11:10 AM
http://channelsurfing.net/watch-cn8.html

UNHWildCats
November 10th, 2007, 11:27 AM
UNH blocks the punt. 1st and 10 on the 14

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 10th, 2007, 11:33 AM
UNH not able to capitalized on the block punt.......actually loss yards and had to punt to UMASS.

UMASS starting to run the ball.

No score with 4 minutes remaining in first quarter.

UNHWildCats
November 10th, 2007, 11:37 AM
unh forces Mass to punt again

UNHWildCats
November 10th, 2007, 11:37 AM
actually a 51 yd fg attempt at its good

UNHFootballAlum
November 10th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I have counted 4 dropped passes by the UNH offense including on Santos' interception

Uncle Buck
November 10th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Huge miss on the UNH FG

UNHFootballAlum
November 10th, 2007, 12:41 PM
UMASS is giving UNH soo many opportunities and they can not capitalize on them. UMASS D has come up big when necessary

GreatAppSt
November 10th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Refs doing a job on UNH by no calls big missed holdin then big missed fumblexrolleyesx

UNHFootballAlum
November 10th, 2007, 01:14 PM
They missed that fumble. That was a turnover that UNH should have gotten

UNHFootballAlum
November 10th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Ricky Santos is now looking for the blitzers. I've never seen him do that before. They need to use their screen game much more to negate the blitzing

DTSpider
November 10th, 2007, 01:48 PM
What's the score?

GreatAppSt
November 10th, 2007, 02:07 PM
TD called back on UNH for Bogus holding call. I think the CAA sent word that a seed was neededa at all costs.;)

JMUSaxMRD
November 10th, 2007, 02:08 PM
UNH has a nail stuck in its coffin. 27-7 UMASS up with less than 3 minutes left in the game

EmeryZach
November 10th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Final UMass 27 - UNH 7. Great job on defense for UMass. They pressured Santos all day long. UMass looked great. Wish we could have played URI in the same conditions. Next week at Hofstra. CAA title possibly at stake.

UMass922
November 10th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Back from Amherst . . . Very impressive job by UMass today, especially by the defense. The offense wasn't great in the first half, but dominated the third quarter. Pretty good crowd, too, on a chilly day--attendance listed at 14,190, which sounds about right.

UMass922
November 10th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Also, congrats to Liam Coen on becoming UMass's all-time passing leader today. He now has 7,133 career yards, surpassing Todd Bankhead's school record.

bodoyle
November 10th, 2007, 05:43 PM
First off, this is not intended as smack.

This was the first time I have ever seen unh play. They did not impress me at all. Santos looke pedestrian the entire game and should have had 2 more INTs but the DB's dropped the balls. Has your guys D been this porous against the run all year or was this an abboration?

UMass922
November 10th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Matt Lawrence (139 yards, 2 TDs) was awarded the Bill Knight Trophy, given annually to the MVP of the UMass-UNH game.

bodoyle
November 10th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Matt Lawrence (139 yards, 2 TDs) was awarded the Bill Knight Trophy, given annually to the MVP of the UMass-UNH game.

That RB Lawrene is a beast. That one possession, he flat-out took over the damn game.

UMass922
November 10th, 2007, 05:50 PM
That RB Lawrene is a beast. That one possession, he flat-out took over the damn game.

Yup. He's no Baylark, but he definitely gets the job done. He put the game away for us in the third quarter.

WrenFGun
November 10th, 2007, 05:56 PM
To answer the question, UNH's defense IS THAT BAD. It's really an embarrassment and a shame. They're without two DT's and their nickelback, but still, disgusting. They should be embarrassed. Santos is VERY OBVIOUSLY Hurt, but I thought this was his worst game as an FCS Quarterback. I've had enough of this season, I'll tell you.

Congrats to UMass. You're a much, MUCH better team. Good luck in the playoffs and congrats on winning the CAA north.

UMass922
November 10th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Santos is VERY OBVIOUSLY Hurt, but I thought this was his worst game as an FCS Quarterback. I've had enough of this season, I'll tell you.

This was my first time seeing Santos in person; I'm disappointed that I didn't get to see him at 100%.

And--to state the obvious--he's got to miss having David Ball around, too. It definitely takes a dimension away from the UNH offense.

Minuteman87
November 10th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I have to think this was one of Santos worst games. But man, am I glad to see that guy finally graduate. He scared the crap out of me for so long, maybe the UMass foe I have the most respect for in my 25 years of following the Minutemen. Hope he gets a shot at the NFL.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but holding UNH without points at the end of the first half was HUGE. I was screaming at the TV as UMass again seemed determined to hand UNH points with a couple of dumb penalties. But then consecutive sacks of Santos and a missed field goal. Instead of being tied at the half, or down 14-10, we were up 10-7.

UMass922
November 10th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I have to think this was one of Santos worst games. But man, am I glad to see that guy finally graduate. He scared the crap out of me for so long, maybe the UMass foe I have the most respect for in my 25 years of following the Minutemen. Hope he gets a shot at the NFL.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but holding UNH without points at the end of the first half was HUGE. I was screaming at the TV as UMass again seemed determined to hand UNH points with a couple of dumb penalties. But then consecutive sacks of Santos and a missed field goal. Instead of being tied at the half, or down 14-10, we were up 10-7.

Agreed. Also huge was holding them without points after they blocked that punt deep in our territory. The defense came up with big plays every time UNH threatened.

Umass74
November 10th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Santos was not having a bad day. The UMass defense was having a very good one. Eight Sacks!

In the post game show, Coach Brown said all eleven defensive positions blitzed today.

That was the lowest point total for UNH this year.

UMass is the CAA North Champions! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Minuteman87
November 10th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I didn't know Greg Landry was from NH. For some reason I thought he was from Northampton, Mass. I have no idea why I thought that.

UNH SUPERFAN
November 10th, 2007, 07:16 PM
First off, this is not intended as smack.

This was the first time I have ever seen unh play. They did not impress me at all. Santos looke pedestrian the entire game and should have had 2 more INTs but the DB's dropped the balls. Has your guys D been this porous against the run all year or was this an abboration?

We've been terrible against the run all year, but especially bad the last 3 games. Actually we were a little better today than usual!!! This is as bad a stretch of games (3) as NH has played in 4-5 years IMO. Our Oline is banged up and our defense is very young. I think Santos is hurting more than he lets on also. Put that together with receivers who had a hard time catching the ball and you are in for a long day vs a team like UMass.

We've had a 3 year playoff run, it was fun! UNH fans owe a huge debt to players like Rick Santos who won so many games for us. Need big effort to beat Maine Next Saturday!

UMass922
November 10th, 2007, 07:26 PM
We've been terrible against the run all year, but especially bad the last 3 games. Actually we were a little better today than usual!!! This is as bad a stretch of games (3) as NH has played in 4-5 years IMO. Our Oline is banged up and our defense is very young. I think Santos is hurting more than he lets on also. Put that together with receivers who had a hard time catching the ball and you are in for a long day vs a team like UMass.

We've had a 3 year playoff run, it was fun! UNH fans owe a huge debt to players like Rick Santos who won so many games for us. Need big effort to beat Maine Next Saturday!

UNH also had a brutal schedule this year, having to face JMU, Delaware, and Richmond. All things considered, you guys did a pretty good job with it. And though you're probably not going to make the playoffs, at least you've got Maine left to take out all your frustration on for Senior Day. I'm sure Santos (and the other seniors) will go out with a big game for the fans.

rcny46
November 10th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Basically,when you come in second in regard to recruiting players that can compete on this level,this is what results.The difference in talent,90% of the time,hits you in the face whenever UNH goes up against the iron in this league.8 sacks is inexcusable,and when Terrence Klein went down with a broken foot last week,they didn't have a legitimate backup at LB.Where is Dan Ruhl? They have no depth where they are weakest.

UNH 40
November 10th, 2007, 10:20 PM
UNH also had a brutal schedule this year, having to face JMU, Delaware, and Richmond. All things considered, you guys did a pretty good job with it. And though you're probably not going to make the playoffs, at least you've got Maine left to take out all your frustration on for Senior Day. I'm sure Santos (and the other seniors) will go out with a big game for the fans.

This years schedule was a very, very tough one. Possibly the toughest schedule in the all the FCS infact. Something that hasn't been mentioned that I believe has played a huge role in the way that this team has played of late is the lack of having a bye week during the season. For whatever reason for the past 2 season UNH's bye week has fallen on the first week of the season which serves absolutely no purpose to the players from a physical standpoint. Had that bye week come at almost any other point in the season I think that you would be seeing much better play by the UNH D especially. Thats just my opinion.