PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League Week 9/11

Ivytalk
November 4th, 2007, 07:52 PM
That's 9 weeks for us, 11 for the riff-raff!:p

Yale 28, Princeton 14: The Tigers retreat to their eating clubs in utter humiliation, sulking over a Gatsbyesque lost season.

Cornell 35, Columbia 31: The New Yawk Bowl could go either way, but I'll call it for the Ag School.

Dartmouth 31, Brown 24: The Big Green get warmed up for next year. Teevens' Troopers are for real.

Harvard 20, Penn 17: The Crimson edge the Bagnoli Cannolis on the way to the 11/17 showdown in New Haven. Add another close loss to the Quackers' resume.

bulldog10jw
November 4th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Yale 24 Princeton 7

Yale's defense is getting better each week, but the offense may be regressing a little. McLeod has fumbled 3 times in the last two weeks. I think his toe is bothering him more than they are telling us. (I'm hoping it was just the wet weather, but I don't think so)

Harvard 27 Penn 17

Harvard is much too diversified on offense for the Quackers

Columbia 21 Cornell 20

No particular reason

Brown 45 Dartmouth 38

I'll take the home team in a shootout.

brownbear
November 4th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Yale 28, Princeton 14

Yale should be able to convert more on scoring opportunities than they got in a hurricane last week.

Harvard 21, Penn 7

Harvard looks very good right now, and Penn is weak this year (though they did shutout Princeton last week).

Cornell 31, Columbia 21

Cornell's bad this year, but not as bad as Columbia.

Brown 38, Dartmouth 35

This one will be a shootout and Dougherty will do better than 99 passing yards.

YaleFootballFan
November 4th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Yale needs to put Princeton away early so they don't have to rely on McLeod for the entire game. Yale has had November 11th circled on their calendar since last year's 34-31 loss at the Bowl. The Elis want revenge and will get it.

Yale 41, Princeton 17.

As much as I'd like to see Penn upset Harvard, I don't see it happening at all. Harvard has too many weapons for the Quakers to handle.

Harvard 32, Penn 14

Other games:

Cornell 21, Columbia 19

Dartmouth 34, Brown 21

blu-bulldog
November 4th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Squeeze the Tiger till it's dead.That felt so good..I apologize to any PETA people.
Yale 28 to 10
Harvard 27 to 17
Dartmouth over Brown by 40
Columbia over Cornell by 1

brownbear
November 4th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Squeeze the Tiger till it's dead.That felt so good..I apologize to any PETA people.
Yale 28 to 10
Harvard 27 to 17
Dartmouth over Brown by 40
Columbia over Cornell by 1

Not going to happen. Our biggest loss of the season is 11 points, and you're saying we'll lose to Dartmouth by 40?

bonarae
November 5th, 2007, 03:55 AM
Yale/Princeton - Yale by 13
Harvard/Penn - Harvard by 10 (maybe close)
Columbia/Cornell - Cornell by 3 (close)
Dartmouth/Brown - Dartmouth by 7 (maybe close)

bulldog10jw
November 7th, 2007, 01:07 PM
This sums up my feelings for Princeton:

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-yale1107.artnov07,0,6091562.story

"In terms of rivalries, there's always been a little more hate toward Princeton than Harvard."

Ivytalk
November 7th, 2007, 04:47 PM
This sums up my feelings for Princeton:

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-yale1107.artnov07,0,6091562.story

"In terms of rivalries, there's always been a little more hate toward Princeton than Harvard."

bulldog, turn on the hate this week! I hope Harvard cranks up the hate for Penn on Saturday and doesn't overlook them.

The story was confusing. The reporter says that Yale's last outright Ivy title was 26 years ago, but then in 1981 (26 years ago, by my count) it lost to Princess-ton and had to share with Dartmouth. What's the real story here?xconfusedx

YaleFootballFan
November 7th, 2007, 06:12 PM
The story was confusing. The reporter says that Yale's last outright Ivy title was 26 years ago, but then in 1981 (26 years ago, by my count) it lost to Princess-ton and had to share with Dartmouth. What's the real story here?xconfusedx

The reporter is wrong. Yale and Dartmouth shared the title in '81.

Yale's last outright Ivy title was in 1980.

bulldog10jw
November 8th, 2007, 12:56 PM
this weeks point spreads

Yale -17 at Princeton

Penn + 7.5 at Harvard

Dartmouth + 5 at Brown

Columbia +10 at Cornell

Ivytalk
November 8th, 2007, 03:59 PM
this weeks point spreads

Yale -17 at Princeton

Penn + 7.5 at Harvard

Dartmouth + 5 at Brown

Columbia +10 at Cornell

Some awfully generous spreads there, and I've got Dartmouth straight up. Call my bookie!:D xrotatehx

Harvard Worship
November 8th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Oops I'm late this week.

Yale at Princeton: Yale 28-13

Penn at Harvard: Harvard 17-14

Dartmouth at Brown: Brown 42-38

Columbia at Cornell: Cornell 23-20

brownbear
November 8th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I'm surprised we're favored by 5 points. I would have thought it would be about 2 or 3 for homefield but that's about it.

YaleFootballFan
November 8th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I'm surprised we're favored by 5 points. I would have thought it would be about 2 or 3 for homefield but that's about it.

Me too.

This is one of those games where whoever is the home team, they'd be the one favored to win.

Syntax Error
November 8th, 2007, 10:37 PM
All the games will be good this week. Ivy League football is some of the best.

Cleets
November 8th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Is Yale really going to win by 17 ... (Hmmm...) xeyebrowx

AZGrizFan
November 8th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Yale 24 Princeton 7

Yale's defense is getting better each week, but the offense may be regressing a little. McLeod has fumbled 3 times in the last two weeks. I think his toe is bothering him more than they are telling us. (I'm hoping it was just the wet weather, but I don't think so)

Harvard 27 Penn 17

Harvard is much too diversified on offense for the Quackers

Columbia 21 Cornell 20

No particular reason

Brown 45 Dartmouth 38

I'll take the home team in a shootout.

How does his toe cause him to fumble more?

Cleets
November 9th, 2007, 12:43 AM

It's a terribly nasty hang-nail, you know... those are dreadful distractions when you have to carry that nasty pig skin around and run from all those mean boys chasing you... xlolx

bulldog10jw
November 9th, 2007, 06:25 AM

Slight distraction from the pain, maybe? That's all it takes.

It could have been the weather, also. They had rain the last two weeks.

bulldog10jw
November 9th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Ivies and the Playoffs......again

http://www.nhregister.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19006761&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=7592&rfi=6

Ultimately, university presidents own the decisive vote in a four-tier process which includes football coaches, athletic directors, and a policy committee, comprised of one member of each university not associated with either office. Resistance to the concept of postseason participation has continued for decades with the academic schedule as the main concern. Tradition, meanwhile, is not far behind, but a line still divides the athletic and university administrative interests.

"There needs to be something. The student-athlete never made this policy, why should the experience be taken away from them?" Yale athletic director Tom Beckett said. "There needs to be a very compelling plan. There are a number of new presidents. Maybe past decisions won't be viewed the same way."

This year's 16-team FCS playoff begins the weekend of Nov. 23-24, coinciding with most universities' Thanksgiving break. The problem doesn't lie there. The subsequent weeks are the issue.

The quarterfinals fall on the last week of classes, the semifinals will be played during Yale's reading period and the national championship is during finals. The argument - football takes away from the Ivy's academic mission.

bulldog10jw
November 9th, 2007, 08:57 PM
and another......It's the fault of Yale and Harvard (what influence we have)

http://www.nhregister.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19006763&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=530459&rfi=6

On the virtual eve of his team's football game against Yale in Princeton, N.J., Saturday, Roger Hughes laid a bombshell on the doorstep of the Yale and Harvard administrators.

Hughes, the veteran head coach at Princeton, effectively called out Yale and Harvard for what he believes to be their failure to allow the Ivy League to play football beyond The Game - once upon a time the very definition of college football rivalry.

Hughes' Tigers were co-champions of the Ivy League in 2006, a title they shared with Yale - and against whom they claimed victory over. Hughes would have dearly loved to match his team against the best of Division I-AA teams in the NCAA postseason tournament, the same opportunity that is afforded every other champion in the Ivy League, regardless of sport.

"I know our colleagues at Yale and Harvard would rather have the only game ... only their teams as the final game of the season because for them, that's more of a culminating thing than it is for the rest of us," said Hughes. "So I'm not sure they share the rest of the league's (desire) to go to the playoffs.

"Clearly our league is very conditioned on making sure that football stays within the university mission. But sometimes tradition needs to be looked at. I think all these schools, if we only adhered to tradition, there'd be no women; there would be very few minorities at the schools. So I'd love to have the debate and find out their concerns for not going to the playoffs. Maybe there's a win-win situation where we can get the best of both worlds."

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 9th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Yale 56, Princeton 21. Yale warms for the Crimson.

Harvard 21, Penn 14. Harvard warms up for the Eli.

Cornell 21, Columbia 19. Cornell puts another nail in a disappointing Lion season.

Dartmouth 45, Brown 35. Don't look now, but Buddy has something going up in the north.

Ivytalk
November 9th, 2007, 09:04 PM
If Harvard's new president Faust endorses the playoffs, I'll take back all the nasty things I said about her and run naked through the Yard.xwhistlex Otherwise, I'll keep my wallet zipped for another year.xnottalkingx

Frankly, I'm not sure she even knows where Harvard Stadium is.xsmhx

bulldog10jw
November 9th, 2007, 09:20 PM
If Harvard's new president Faust endorses the playoffs, I'll take back all the nasty things I said about her and run naked through the Yard.xwhistlex Otherwise, I'll keep my wallet zipped for another year.xnottalkingx

I stopped contributing to the Football Y Association a few years ago because, as far as I could see, they do nothing but nod their heads at everything the administration says. I fill out their request for money by writing 11th game in large letters on the card and send it back.

I WAS surprised to see Beckett speak out. I always figured him for a Stanford yes-man.

You know, part of the job description for any Ivy League President, must be an aversion to football. Universities that pride themselves on being overly progressive in all other avenues of academia(sadly so, many times) are stuck in the 1950's when it comes to football.

Ivytalk
November 10th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Harvard and Yale both took care of business today, setting up The Game next week in New Haven for all the marbles!xthumbsupx xbowx

bulldog10jw
November 10th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Harvard and Yale both took care of business today, setting up The Game next week in New Haven for all the marbles!xthumbsupx xbowx

It should be a sellout. The Yale radio guy said there were not many tickets left on the Yale side of the field.........65k?

Ivytalk
November 10th, 2007, 05:46 PM
The cream has risen to the top. As it should be. The Ivy pretenders are stripped of grace and cower in subjugation...

Penn and Princeton, blow it out yer azz!:p :D

Cleets
November 10th, 2007, 05:47 PM
a fun week ... xnodx

bonarae
November 11th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Ivies and the Playoffs......again

http://www.nhregister.com/site/news....d= 7592&rfi=6

Ultimately, university presidents own the decisive vote in a four-tier process which includes football coaches, athletic directors, and a policy committee, comprised of one member of each university not associated with either office. Resistance to the concept of postseason participation has continued for decades with the academic schedule as the main concern. Tradition, meanwhile, is not far behind, but a line still divides the athletic and university administrative interests.

"There needs to be something. The student-athlete never made this policy, why should the experience be taken away from them?" Yale athletic director Tom Beckett said. "There needs to be a very compelling plan. There are a number of new presidents. Maybe past decisions won't be viewed the same way."

This year's 16-team FCS playoff begins the weekend of Nov. 23-24, coinciding with most universities' Thanksgiving break. The problem doesn't lie there. The subsequent weeks are the issue.

The quarterfinals fall on the last week of classes, the semifinals will be played during Yale's reading period and the national championship is during finals. The argument - football takes away from the Ivy's academic mission.

I've really had enough of this debate. All sectors of the Ivy schools need to be involved to have the presidents grant our ultimate wish of 11th game and the playoffs. Look at the Pac-10 schools (although they are FBS, they are a good point of comparison) - they are committed to BOTH academics and athletics. Some Big 10 schools also fit the comparison as well.