PDA

View Full Version : NAU advertising campaign

Marcus Garvey
September 8th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Northern Arizona has recently begun a new series of radio ads in the Tucson area to recruit students. In the ads, they say the usual things about being a smaller college (relative to Ariz. St. and UofA) and how it's not that far from Tucson (4 hour drive). But it's their slogan that cracks me up to no end:

"Remember, mountain air makes you smarter!"
:D :D :D :D
I wasn't sure I heard that right the first time, but after a few more listens, I realized that was what they said!

That's a bold statement. I guess all those undergrads at Wyoming have gotta be smarter than those eggheads at Berkley or Hahvahd, right? ;)

IaaScribe
September 8th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I lived in Flagstaff for eight years, and I'm much stupider than when I moved there. :D

Actually, that may be due to the brain cells I killed at Mogollon Brewing Company. :)

dbackjon
September 8th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I lived in Flagstaff for eight years, and I'm much stupider than when I moved there. :D

Actually, that may be due to the brain cells I killed at Mogollon Brewing Company. :)

I lived in Flag for twelve years, and lost many a brain cell as well - most were at fraternity parties or Beaver St.......

Still, an odd slogan

TexasTerror
September 8th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Is this part of the effort to go to I-A that '76 was talking about?

IaaScribe
September 8th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Nah, Texas. It's just an outreach. NAU wants to be known more as a statewide institution than a last resort for kids who couldn't get into UA or ASU. This is just part of that.

dbackjon
September 8th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Nah, Texas. It's just an outreach. NAU wants to be known more as a statewide institution than a last resort for kids who couldn't get into UA or ASU. This is just part of that.

That is kind of funny - the majority of people I went to school with either could of gotten in to UA or ASU, but wanted to get out of the heat, tried UA/ASU and didn't like it, or, like me, came to NAU because of smaller size, and better undergraduate programs. In a number of colleges at NAU, NAU far outranks UA/ASU in academics.

IaaScribe
September 8th, 2005, 02:34 PM
I didn't mean to say that it is an inferior institution, because I know it's not. But, jon, you have to admit that there is a perception that NAU is third-rate in the state. It's not right, but the perception is there.

Lumberjacks76
September 8th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Weird slogan. Funny, though.

Paul

dbackjon
September 8th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I didn't mean to say that it is an inferior institution, because I know it's not. But, jon, you have to admit that there is a perception that NAU is third-rate in the state. It's not right, but the perception is there.

Yes - but then again, folks in Tucson think that UA is on one level, ASU/NAU so far below that ranking doesn't matter...... :D

NoCoDanny
September 8th, 2005, 03:42 PM
If I grew up in the Phoenix area and had to choose between ASU and NAU I'd strongly consider NAU just for the simple fact I could get further away from my parents. That ASU campus is pretty drab and way too crowded also.

Marcus Garvey
September 8th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Yes - but then again, folks in Tucson think that UA is on one level, ASU/NAU so far below that ranking doesn't matter...... :D

One of the first chicks I ever hit on in Tucson was from Phoenix. I asked why she chose to UA over ASU. She said, "Better academics." I replied, "How can you tell?"

Needless to say, I didn't get far with her.... Oh well, her loss! ;)

IaaScribe
September 8th, 2005, 06:08 PM
If I grew up in the Phoenix area and had to choose between ASU and NAU I'd strongly consider NAU just for the simple fact I could get further away from my parents. That ASU campus is pretty drab and way too crowded also.

But the women in Tempe. ... Oh my God, the women. ... (is there a drooling smilie?) :nod:

W. DeMontague
September 8th, 2005, 09:05 PM
I once ate a burrito at a Del Taco in Flagstaff.

NoCoDanny
September 9th, 2005, 09:56 AM
But the women in Tempe. ... Oh my God, the women. ... (is there a drooling smilie?) :nod:

Good point. If I'm going to get rejected anyway I always perfer it to be by hotter chicks.