PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cross played SDSU tougher than anyone else in the playoffs...

Sader87
January 8th, 2023, 04:30 PM
and it really wan't close.

Congrats Rabbits on the FCS title!

Hope we meet again on the gridiron soon! Hopefully in Wisstahhh next time!

SUPharmacist
January 8th, 2023, 04:33 PM
A real Notre Dame light I suppose.

Sader87
January 8th, 2023, 04:36 PM
A real Notre Dame light I suppose.

Without question....Holy Cross is really the preeminent, private FCS program in the country.

Daytripper
January 8th, 2023, 04:39 PM
UIW might want a word.

SUPharmacist
January 8th, 2023, 04:41 PM
Without question....Holy Cross is really the preeminent, private FCS program in the country.
So you also massively overcharge for education and promote a church that doesn't address issues that massively harm their parishioners.

Kudos to you I guess.

Gil Dobie
January 8th, 2023, 04:46 PM
Bring on the Georgia/TCU winner.

Pard4Life
January 8th, 2023, 04:55 PM

Putting this up on the bulletin board

bonarae
January 8th, 2023, 04:58 PM
UIW might want a word.

And perhaps hopefully let HC come to Texas...

Sader87
January 8th, 2023, 05:06 PM
Bring on the Georgia/TCU winner.

Holy Cross is 3-0 lifetime versus Georgia....as Casey Stengel once said, you can look it up. xdrunkyx

SUPharmacist
January 8th, 2023, 05:09 PM
Putting this up on the bulletin board

I will always root for Lafayette over HC or Lehigh. However, my loyalties in the PL are tied to my comedy preferences. Colgate (broken lizard) and Georgetown (Mulaney and Gaffigan) will be who I root for.

SUPharmacist
January 8th, 2023, 05:10 PM
Holy Cross is 3-0 lifetime versus Georgia....as Casey Stengel once said, you can look it up. xdrunkyx

History says that will still hold up. Just like how NDSU beat SDSU today.

ysubigred
January 8th, 2023, 05:18 PM
Wow 1 old ambulance company fan has me thinking they're a bunch of dick heads..

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

UNHWildcat18
January 8th, 2023, 06:18 PM
I legitimately almost started a thread after the championship stating “Is HC BeTtEr ThAn NdsU ThIS YeAr??”” Knew this thread was coming.

Prime Power
January 8th, 2023, 07:02 PM
Congrxcoffeexats on that..............

Bisonator
January 8th, 2023, 07:04 PM
Definitely putting HC #2 in my poll........xcoffeex

DFW HOYA
January 8th, 2023, 07:06 PM

Trolling post.

Sader87
January 8th, 2023, 07:13 PM
Trolling post.

It's really not....name another private school FCS program (which participates in the playoffs) that has the following, community support, facilities, history etc. that Holy Cross football has?

SUPharmacist
January 8th, 2023, 07:16 PM
It's really not....name another private school FCS program (which participates in the playoffs) that has the following, community support, facilities, history etc. that Holy Cross football has?

I enjoy the qualifier in your statement. Here's hoping NDSU and HC meet in the future.

DFW HOYA
January 8th, 2023, 07:17 PM

As repeated from another thread: Villanova and Richmond, two schools that won FCS championships that Holy Cross did not.

To a lesser extent, I would add Furman (1988 I-AA champions) and Lehigh (1977 Division II champions before its move to I-AA) to that list as well.

Sader87
January 8th, 2023, 07:22 PM
I enjoy the qualifier in your statement. Here's hoping NDSU and HC meet in the future.

Well, Holy Cross is in many ways a 9th Ivy League football school, why I qualified HC as being a playoff participant.

Sader87
January 8th, 2023, 07:28 PM
As repeated from another thread: Villanova and Richmond, two schools that won FCS championships that Holy Cross did not.

To a lesser extent, I would add Furman (1988 I-AA champions) and Lehigh (1977 Division II champions before its move to I-AA) to that list as well.

Holy Cross would have won the 1987 FCS title if they were allowed to play in the playoffs then.

Holy Cross football also has a much biggah following amongst alumni and Central Mass. subway alumni than Villanova, Richmond, Furman and Lehigh.

NY Crusader 2010
January 8th, 2023, 07:30 PM

I think Furman best checks all the boxes that HC87 describes, even more so than the others.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 8th, 2023, 07:33 PM

Lehigh also lost in the 1979 1-AA National Title Game. Lehigh and 'Gate still the only two PL programs to the play for a D1 football title....

When considering the previous decades resume, no program's performance was negatively affected by the formation of the PL than Lehigh. It was not Holy Cross or Colgate who were correctly transitioning from 1-A to 1-AA. Yet, many HC people would like to tell you it's them. Lehigh went from competing for titles and having a big rivalry with Delaware to nothing until the early 90s....

Sader87
January 8th, 2023, 07:37 PM
Furman doesn't have the following that HC does.....HC has lost a lot of "subway alumni" in not joining the Big East in hoop and dropping football scholarships for about 25 years,,,,but it's still in the 2nd biggest city in New England (about 200K) and therefore has a lot of fans or casual fans that most FCS schools wouldn't have due to that fact.

NY Crusader 2010
January 8th, 2023, 07:42 PM
Furman doesn't have the following that HC does.....HC has lost a lot of "subway alumni" in not joining the Big East in hoop and dropping football scholarships for about 25 years,,,,but it's still in the 2nd biggest city in New England (about 200K) and therefore has a lot of fans or casual fans that most FCS schools wouldn't have due to that fact.

This is inaccurate IMO. We might have a trivially larger following but Furman is regularly in the Top 25 in football attendance. In our favor, we do have the metropolitan presence in Greater Worcester while Furman capitalizes more so on the "Friday Night Lights" culture of the deep south.

And if you're comparing on-field pedigrees during the FCS era, it's embarrassing to even compare the two with the exception of the Duffner and Chesney years. Like Holy Cross and Colgate up north, Furman has "major college" roots as a long-time member of the Southern Conference. Into the 1970's they were playing in a league that included West Virginia, Virginia Tech and East Carolina.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 8th, 2023, 07:46 PM
This is inaccurate IMO. We might have a trivially larger following but Furman is regularly in the Top 25 in football attendance. In our favor, we do have the metropolitan presence in Greater Worcester while Furman capitalizes more so on the "Friday Night Lights" culture of the deep south.

And if you're comparing on-field pedigrees during the FCS era, it's embarrassing to even compare the two with the exception of the Duffner and Chesney years. Like Holy Cross and Colgate up north, Furman has "major college" roots as a long-time member of the Southern Conference. Into the 1970's they were playing in a league that included West Virginia, Virginia Tech and East Carolina.

Lehigh literally led the PL in attendance for like 15-16 straight years, from like 1990-2005. Then Lafayette had a solid run of attendance when they renovated Fisher/where good and led the league over Randolph's HC teams iirc. For much of the 2010s no one in the PL drew all that well, including Lehigh early in the decade when they were ranked quite a bit. HC's rise in attendance is only recent. Very recent.

See where Lehigh is in a year or two relative to FCS football culture if they start winning again...

KPSUL
January 8th, 2023, 07:46 PM

I consider the Holy Cross playoff performance to be 2nd best among the four Quarter Finals losers. Just behind Sacramento State and well ahead of Samford and William & Mary.

Sader87
January 8th, 2023, 07:47 PM

Not in a league, as there wasn't one in the Northeast in the 1970s, but HC played Syracuse, Temple, Army, Rutgers and BC nearly annually during the 1970s.

NY Crusader 2010
January 8th, 2023, 08:42 PM
To echo the thread topic, yes HC gave SDSU their toughest game of the postseason without question.

ngineer
January 8th, 2023, 09:03 PM
History says that will still hold up. Just like how NDSU beat SDSU today.

Just like Lehigh's 106-0 beat down of Penn State in 1889!xdrunkyx

NY Crusader 2010
January 8th, 2023, 09:52 PM
Lehigh literally led the PL in attendance for like 15-16 straight years, from like 1990-2005. Then Lafayette had a solid run of attendance when they renovated Fisher/where good and led the league over Randolph's HC teams iirc. For much of the 2010s no one in the PL drew all that well, including Lehigh early in the decade when they were ranked quite a bit. HC's rise in attendance is only recent. Very recent.

See where Lehigh is in a year or two relative to FCS football culture if they start winning again...

Very possible that Lafayette out-drew HC in 2008 due to the fact that they hosted "The Game" that year. We did play UMASS at home that September which brought in somewhere around 13-14K so might've been close. Lafayette may well have outdrawn us in our 2009 title season as well, even without the benefit of playing Lehigh at home, due to the fact that 3 of our 5 home games were played in driving rain. In 2007, Holy Cross hosted both Harvard and Yale and enjoyed great weather at Fitton that fall so I'd be surprised if we didn't lead the PL in attendance that season.

Gangtackle11
January 8th, 2023, 10:52 PM
Nova beat Alabama 41-18 @ Denny Stadium in 1951. SEC is overrated. xpeacex

MIBT
January 8th, 2023, 11:57 PM
If before the playoffs you told me to name all the FCS teams of the top of my head, I could probably find up with 60 or 70. I don't think Holy Cross would have been one of them. The OP is immersed in the program, and I'm glad they have a good following, and he's passionate. But it's obvious he can't see the forest for the trees. Holy Cross made a statement in their 3 competitive quarters in Brookings. I was impressed. But to suddenly think they have any relevance at the top of FCS is very tone deaf.

I've only recently learned of this site, so if he's commonly a troll, then these topics are nothing but troll posts. I wish nothing but the best for the team.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
January 9th, 2023, 12:13 AM

Arent you the same dick who has been flapping his yap for years about the FCS being irrelevant ? But here you are jizzing allover yourself because you finally made the playoffs. Yeah youre him.

ElCid
January 9th, 2023, 08:57 AM
If before the playoffs you told me to name all the FCS teams of the top of my head, I could probably find up with 60 or 70. I don't think Holy Cross would have been one of them.

Wow. Really? When you can name all 130 then maybe people might take you seriously.

I'll be honest, I had never even heard of the latest crop of champs, at least until they became FCS. But HC has been FCS since dropping down from 1A along with a bunch of others back in the early 80s. The fact that this was the fourth year in a row that they made the playoffs shows your knowledge level needs to increase. Sorry to point that out but you obviously were trying to take a jab at them otherwise. They've had a rough patch before their current rise, but have a long history of success. Their current performance speaks for itself.

Here is a good site to start looking up historic data on all 130 teams including records, conf affiliations, classifications, etc.

https://masseyratings.com/cf2022/fcs/ratings

Gil Dobie
January 9th, 2023, 12:57 PM
After reading all these posts, should Holy Cross be the #1 team?

MR. CHICKEN
January 9th, 2023, 01:03 PM

#6​..............BRAWK!

DFW HOYA
January 9th, 2023, 01:06 PM

Give it a couple of weeks and we'll be reading how the ACC would like to add Holy Cross because of how they beat up on heavyweights like Bucknell, Georgetown and Lafayette.

clenz
January 9th, 2023, 01:11 PM
When's the banner ceremony next year?
https://i.imgur.com/czVQjJd.png
https://imgur.com/czVQjJd

ysubigred
January 9th, 2023, 01:22 PM
https://imgur.com/czVQjJdThis^^ good one clenz [emoji106]

MIBT
January 9th, 2023, 01:30 PM
Wow. Really? When you can name all 130 then maybe people might take you seriously.

I'll be honest, I had never even heard of the latest crop of champs, at least until they became FCS. But HC has been FCS since dropping down from 1A along with a bunch of others back in the early 80s. The fact that this was the fourth year in a row that they made the playoffs shows your knowledge level needs to increase. Sorry to point that out but you obviously were trying to take a jab at them otherwise. They've had a rough patch before their current rise, but have a long history of success. Their current performance speaks for itself.

Here is a good site to start looking up historic data on all 130 teams including records, conf affiliations, classifications, etc.

https://masseyratings.com/cf2022/fcs/ratingsYes they made the playoffs 4 years in a row, but they are lumped into a group of auto bid schools from the east coast that may win a game if they play each other but rarely beat anyone beyond that. I'm very aware of Lehigh and Lafayette because that is known as one of the best rivalries in college football.

The other Patriot League teams blend together. I'm very familiar with all the schools, including Holy Cross, because I have worked in higher education and been on many of the campuses. I have volunteered and worked many NCAA events. But outside the NE, a Patriot League team going undefeated doesn't draw a lot of attention similar to a Pioneer or MEAC or Ivy.

Holy Cross broke through that with a great effort at SDSU. Kudos to them for that. But I had to look up who they played the previous 3 years. 2019, they lost to Monmouth. 2020, they were thumped by SDSU. 2021, they beat Sacred Heart and lost to Villanova. I would put Monmouth and Sacred Heart into the same category as NE schools that don't diffentiate themselves in football outside that region. Villanova is more known because they are in the championship in 2010 and they play in CAA.

This is not a knock on Holy Cross. We all get very myopic in our views based on what we see close to us. Because Holy Cross has a good local following, they assume the rest of the country is aware of that following. My scope is more national, so those programs fly below that radar.

FUBeAR
January 9th, 2023, 01:42 PM
Yes they made the playoffs 4 years in a row, but they are lumped into a group of auto bid schools from the east coast that may win a game if they play each other but rarely beat anyone beyond that. I'm very aware of Lehigh and Lafayette because that is known as one of the best rivalries in college football.

The other Patriot League teams blend together. I'm very familiar with all the schools, including Holy Cross, because I have worked in higher education and been on many of the campuses. I have volunteered and worked many NCAA events. But outside the NE, a Patriot League team going undefeated doesn't draw a lot of attention similar to a Pioneer or MEAC or Ivy.

Holy Cross broke through that with a great effort at SDSU. Kudos to them for that. But I had to look up who they played the previous 3 years. 2019, they lost to Monmouth. 2020, they were thumped by SDSU. 2021, they beat Sacred Heart and lost to Villanova. I would put Monmouth and Sacred Heart into the same category as NE schools that don't diffentiate themselves in football outside that region. Villanova is more known because they are in the championship in 2010 and they play in CAA.

This is not a knock on Holy Cross. We all get very myopic in our views based on what we see close to us. Because Holy Cross has a good local following, they assume the rest of the country is aware of that following. My scope is more national, so those programs fly below that radar.

Sent from my SM-S906U using TapatalkGotta agree here…

As closely as FUBeAR follow FCS, he can never remember if Albany, Stony Brook, Bryant, and Wagner are in the CAA or the NEC. And Monmouth, Robert Morris are where? … and a few of those either are, or were, or are going to be in the Big South…maybe? Now, with Merrimack and LIU coming online along with St. Thomas (or is it St. Frances?), it’s a jumble. Was able to figure out that St. Thomas wasn’t a Northeastern school cuz all the Bizuns fans keep jawing about how great “the Tommies” are…so, they must be somewhere in the tundra above the Arctic Circle with the Dakotas and the Montanas and the Idahos.

So, yeah, FUBeAR is feelin’ ya, MIBT!

MIBT
January 9th, 2023, 01:47 PM
Gotta agree here…

As closely as FUBeAR follow FCS, he can never remember if Albany, Stony Brook, Bryant, and Wagner are in the CAA or the NEC. And Monmouth, Robert Morris are where? … and a few of those either are, or were, or are going to be in the Big South…maybe? Now, with Merrimack and LIU coming online along with St. Thomas (or is it St. Frances?), it’s a jumble. Was able to figure out that St. Thomas wasn’t a Northeastern school cuz all the Bizuns fans keep jawing about how great “the Tommies” are…so, they must be somewhere in the tundra above the Arctic Circle with the Dakotas and the Montanas and the Idahos.

So, yeah, FUBeAR is feelin’ ya, MIBT!Thank you. Again, not a knock on them or diminishing the love for their team. But FCS is a national product with a regional focus, but most of the national attention is in the Midwest, Southeast, and Rocky Mountains because that's where the consistently good teams have come from. The CAA has been very good so they get some attention. Holy Cross continues to do what they did this year, and they will become more memorable nationally with FCS fans.

caribbeanhen
January 9th, 2023, 03:11 PM
Yes they made the playoffs 4 years in a row, but they are lumped into a group of auto bid schools from the east coast that may win a game if they play each other but rarely beat anyone beyond that. I'm very aware of Lehigh and Lafayette because that is known as one of the best rivalries in college football.

do you vote in the AGS poll?

Gil Dobie
January 9th, 2023, 04:04 PM
do you vote in the AGS poll?

Don't you need 100 post?

Sader87
January 9th, 2023, 11:06 PM
If before the playoffs you told me to name all the FCS teams of the top of my head, I could probably find up with 60 or 70. I don't think Holy Cross would have been one of them. The OP is immersed in the program, and I'm glad they have a good following, and he's passionate. But it's obvious he can't see the forest for the trees. Holy Cross made a statement in their 3 competitive quarters in Brookings. I was impressed. But to suddenly think they have any relevance at the top of FCS is very tone deaf.

I've only recently learned of this site, so if he's commonly a troll, then these topics are nothing but troll posts. I wish nothing but the best for the team.

My assumption (and we all know how that can go) is that you're relatively young.

To not know who Holy Cross is historically in college athletics probably shows your youth. Holy Cross won the NCAA in hoops in 1947 (Bob Cousy was on that team), the NIT in 1954 (with Tom Heinsohn), the College World Series in 1952 and had Top 20 football teams at various times from the 1930s-1950s under HoF Coach Dr Eddie Anderson.

Ancient history to be sure but HC has a long, storied tradition in these sports. The school chose to deempasize athletics in the late 1970s and ultimately turned down a Big East invite in hoop and went 1-AA from 1-A in football.

Point being, after dropping football scholarships in the early 1990s after a very strong decade (1982-1991) of success at the 1-AA level, Holy Cross is only just now returning to the level of football success they enjoyed during the decade of the 1980s.

All the facets are back in place (coaching, facilities, institutional and alumni support etc.) for Holy Cross to be relevant once again nationally in football at the FCS-level.

MIBT
January 10th, 2023, 12:01 AM
My assumption (and we all know how that can go) is that you're relatively young.

To not know who Holy Cross is historically in college athletics probably shows your youth. Holy Cross won the NCAA in hoops in 1947 (Bob Cousy was on that team), the NIT in 1954 (with Tom Heinsohn), the College World Series in 1952 and had Top 20 football teams at various times from the 1930s-1950s under HoF Coach Dr Eddie Anderson.

Ancient history to be sure but HC has a long, storied tradition in these sports. The school chose to deempasize athletics in the late 1970s and ultimately turned down a Big East invite in hoop and went 1-AA from 1-A in football.

Point being, after dropping football scholarships in the early 1990s after a very strong decade (1982-1991) of success at the 1-AA level, Holy Cross is only just now returning to the level of football success they enjoyed during the decade of the 1980s.

All the facets are back in place (coaching, facilities, institutional and alumni support etc.) for Holy Cross to be relevant once again nationally in football at the FCS-level.

I'm not young. But I would have to be 80-90 years old to have been alive during their glory days. Definitely not that old. The 82-91 era included one playoff game (which they lost), so again, they were irrelevant nationally. They were in a conference that didn't give athletic scholarships for half that time (athletic scholarships dropped in 1986), so it's logical they wouldn't be competitive with the top I-AA teams. Not unlike the San Diego teams of a few years ago, but they at least won a couple first round games to give them some national recognition.

HC had a great season. They legitimately competed with SDSU in the playoffs. They could become a force in FCS the next few years. I would focus on that rather than trying to elevate where you have been the last 70 years.

caribbeanhen
January 10th, 2023, 06:18 AM

that was my impression as well, nothing wrong with that

he definitely has some “freshly hatched” impressions of FCS football

Sader87
January 10th, 2023, 08:21 AM
I'm not young. But I would have to be 80-90 years old to have been alive during their glory days. Definitely not that old. The 82-91 era included one playoff game (which they lost), so again, they were irrelevant nationally. They were in a conference that didn't give athletic scholarships for half that time (athletic scholarships dropped in 1986), so it's logical they wouldn't be competitive with the top I-AA teams. Not unlike the San Diego teams of a few years ago, but they at least won a couple first round games to give them some national recognition.

HC had a great season. They legitimately competed with SDSU in the playoffs. They could become a force in FCS the next few years. I would focus on that rather than trying to elevate where you have been the last 70 years.

The 1982-1991 Holy Cross teams were very relevant nationally. Nearly always in the Top 20, sometimes Top 5-10. The 1987 team ended the season ranked #1 in most polls. Those teams did have scholarships up until 1991 when they were finally phased out. During that era they regularly beat FCS teams like Delaware, UMass, William&Mary and many others.....they also had 3 wins ovah Army from 1981-1987.

NDB
January 10th, 2023, 08:50 AM
If and when holy cross becomes a legitimate fcs power, stupid reaches like this won't be necessary.

Comparing scores, of losses no less, reeks of inadequacy.

Win football games. Not internet message board debates.

JSUSoutherner
January 10th, 2023, 09:00 AM
If and when holy cross becomes a legitimate fcs power, stupid reaches like this won't be necessary.

Comparing scores, of losses no less, reeks of inadequacy.

Win football games. Not internet message board debates.
After Sunday, this line is bold.

MSUBobcat
January 10th, 2023, 09:58 AM
https://imgur.com/czVQjJd

That's not quite accurate. It needs to say, "Got destroyed by SDSU by TIED FOR the fewest points in the playoffs - 2022". Montana State also got destroyed by 21, though I do admit HC played tougher through 3 quarters before the wheels fell off.

I think we brought the wrong cleats for the frozen tundra on a brutally cold day. xsmiley_wix

ElCid
January 10th, 2023, 10:31 AM

Well I guess I misunderstood your comment that you couldn't even name them as an FCS team (?!). I understand what you are saying "here." And I guess I am old enough to remember them from the 70s and 80s so they have always been well known to me. They were regularly ranked in the 80s.

NY Crusader 2010
January 10th, 2023, 01:27 PM
That's not quite accurate. It needs to say, "Got destroyed by SDSU by TIED FOR the fewest points in the playoffs - 2022". Montana State also got destroyed by 21, though I do admit HC played tougher through 3 quarters before the wheels fell off.

I think we brought the wrong cleats for the frozen tundra on a brutally cold day. xsmiley_wix

You didn't learn from the William & Mary fiasco? :)

Bisonoline
January 10th, 2023, 09:30 PM
After Sunday, this line is bold.

After the last 10 years its a fact. Not bold at all.

MIBT
January 10th, 2023, 10:57 PM
Well I guess I misunderstood your comment that you couldn't even name them as an FCS team (?!). I understand what you are saying "here." And I guess I am old enough to remember them from the 70s and 80s so they have always been well known to me. They were regularly ranked in the 80s.I did say if I had to rattle off FCS teams off the top of my head last summer, I doubt I would have come up with HC. Until this year, they blended in with the group of teams that have been mentioned several times.

Sader's example of teams they beat in the 80s were also very regional. He keeps proving my point. That doesn't mean they are known nationally. That was pre-internet, so you didn't follow teams in other parts of the country as much until the playoffs. They weren't in the playoffs, so the fact they were ranked was less relevant because they were just another team in the rankings you didn't know so you skipped over them. If everyone here commenting otherwise is from the northeast, you were familiar with them because you followed them or the teams you followed played them. They were relevant to you. But they weren't relevant to fans across the country.

crusader11
January 11th, 2023, 08:07 AM
Sader's example of teams they beat in the 80s were also very regional.

In fairness, all FCS teams largely play a regional schedule. It's only until playoff matchups are set do you typically see teams venture to other parts of the country.

Back in the 80s, I'd argue HC was well-known nationally. Their 1987 team is largely considered a top 5 FCS team of all time.

From the mid-90s until several years ago, HC was pretty invisible on the national stage, save for a blip around 2007-09 thanks to Dom Randolph.

Gil Dobie
January 11th, 2023, 08:24 AM
In fairness, all FCS teams largely play a regional schedule. It's only until playoff matchups are set do you typically see teams venture to other parts of the country.

Back in the 80s, I'd argue HC was well-known nationally. Their 1987 team is largely considered a top 5 FCS team of all time.

From the mid-90s until several years ago, HC was pretty invisible on the national stage, save for a blip around 2007-09 thanks to Dom Randolph.

All ECB FCS teams play region schedules.

DFW HOYA
January 11th, 2023, 08:27 AM

Outside of New England, most fans know little about Holy Cross. It's like Furman--they may have heard the name but few know exactly where the school is located or what they are known for.

Gater
January 11th, 2023, 08:52 AM
I feel like fans of The Notre Dame of the FCS should be bringing up that Holy Cross teams of the 80's had a player finish in the top five in Heisman twice.

SteelSD
January 11th, 2023, 09:10 AM

Yes you guys did give us quite the game. Of all the teams we played your line play was what surprised me the most as you held your own there, at least until we wore you out in the 4th Q.

However, you really need to stop with the idea we stole any plays from you guys. In fact, we have used the pop pass against NDSU to great effect in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szv47LVcwMs
Go to the 2:06 mark.

- - - Updated - - -

FUBeAR
January 11th, 2023, 09:28 AM
Outside of New England, most fans know little about Holy Cross. It's like Furman--they may have heard the name but few know exactly where the school is located or what they are known for.
And South Carolinians often wonder where the Patrick Ewing statue is when they are driving on Hwy 17 about halfway from Charleston to Myrtle Beach.

ElCid
January 11th, 2023, 09:42 AM
I feel like fans of The Notre Dame of the FCS should be bringing up that Holy Cross teams of the 80's had a player finish in the top five in Heisman twice.

Yup. 86 and 87. Came in fifth and third. But I think it was the swan song for FCS inclusion, save for McNair in 94. The WPA began in 87 and was more than sufficient excuse to exclude FCS in voter's minds from that point, although they are not officially excluded. No FCS player, during the FCS era, or G5 player for that matter have or will likely win. Only a few G5 players have even been finalists.

Gil Dobie
January 11th, 2023, 10:07 AM
I remember the year GSU played Bama tougher than most of the SEC teams.

FUBeAR
January 11th, 2023, 10:29 AM
So does Coach Saban…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvRAukKLHFA

ElCid
January 11th, 2023, 10:51 AM

We didn't do bad either, more recently. Pretty sure we had most rushing yards against them that entire year than anyone else. Score got a bit out of hand in second half though, but we almost took lead in third qtr.

Fordham
January 11th, 2023, 10:58 AM
What if the Holy Cross players were all 14 inches tall in their PL match ups next year and would the results depend on if they were coached by a mini-Chesney or a full sized one?

Sader87
January 11th, 2023, 01:10 PM
Mini-Chesney, HC wins but it's close, 35-21

Full-sized Chesney 60-2.

NY Crusader 2010
January 11th, 2023, 01:19 PM
Will Samford get any AP Top 25 votes for only losing to Georgia 33-0?

ElCid
January 11th, 2023, 01:26 PM
Will Samford get any AP Top 25 votes for only losing to Georgia 33-0?

I know it was tongue in cheek, but we all know FBS/FCS games are a strange animal. Lots of factors at play there. Short of an actual scalp, and not always even then, it's hard to gauge quality of either team sometimes simply from that one game and how these factors play out. Lots of teams with big scalps have lost multiple FCS games in the same season.

uni88
January 11th, 2023, 05:59 PM
All ECB FCS teams play regional schedules.

xnodx When I was in school in the 80's, UNI played Delaware State, McNeese State, Montana and Montana State during the regular season.

Go...gate
January 12th, 2023, 01:57 AM
Well, Holy Cross is in many ways a 9th Ivy League football school, why I qualified HC as being a playoff participant.

They haven't played the Ivy schools as much as Colgate has.

Sader87
January 12th, 2023, 08:46 AM

It's pretty close I think....don't have the time right now to do the math. xdrunkyx

ElCid
January 12th, 2023, 08:56 AM

Timeline is an important data point here. But I wanted to just check.

In the last five years, not counting 2020 when the Ivy didn't play, so 2017-22, HC played 12 Ivy and Colgate played 8. Again, just a small snapshot of the full history, but certainly not true in very recent history. I could look further and it may be true though. Both schools are located in areas that would promote such games travel-wise, not to mention peer-wise.

crusader11
January 12th, 2023, 12:02 PM

HC has played the Ivy 281 times.

Colgate has played Cornell 100+ times, so guessing they've played the Ivy more than HC has.

NY Crusader 2010
January 12th, 2023, 12:23 PM
During the Gilmore era, we typically played at least 3 of the New England Ivies every year, occasionally all 4.

Interestingly, Holy Cross hasn't played Cornell, Columbia, Penn or Princeton since the 90's.

Sader87
January 14th, 2023, 06:49 PM
HC has played the Ivy 281 times.

Colgate has played Cornell 100+ times, so guessing they've played the Ivy more than HC has.

Holy Cross has played Dartmouth about 80 times.....I think after BC and maybe Colgate, the most against any opponent HC has played....add on the years HC has played Harvard, Yale and Brown, HC is probably, maybe after Colgate, the most common opponent of Ivy League football historically.

DFW HOYA
January 15th, 2023, 07:01 PM
Holy Cross has played Dartmouth about 80 times.....I think after BC and maybe Colgate, the most against any opponent HC has played....add on the years HC has played Harvard, Yale and Brown, HC is probably, maybe after Colgate, the most common opponent of Ivy League football historically.

The rest of FCS: playing the Ivy League is overrated.

ysubigred
January 15th, 2023, 08:48 PM
3 words..

Holy Cross sucks.. play a real schedule and gain the respect you keep trolling for.

UNHWildcat18
January 15th, 2023, 09:32 PM
3 words..

Holy Cross sucks.. play a real schedule and gain the respect you keep trolling for.

I chuckled a bit at this
you played Duquesne and Dayton OOC need I say more? You lost to UK then lost two the only two playoff teams in your schedule UND and NDSU. Glad you eeked out that win vs 0-11 WIU. Yeah he’s a bit of a troll but they played a tough game vs SDSU. He is trolling a bit… obviously

ysubigred
January 15th, 2023, 09:50 PM
I chuckled a bit at this
you played Duquesne and Dayton OOC need I say more? You lost to UK then lost two the only two playoff teams in your schedule UND and NDSU. Glad you eeked out that win vs 0-11 WIU. Yeah he’s a bit of a troll but they played a tough game vs SDSU. He is trolling a bit… obviouslyI chuckle at your whataboutism.. this has nothing to do with YSU.. We play in the toughest conference in the FCS and are what we are. This dick and you dweebs buying into Holy Cross being good cause they played out their ass in one game is something special? Now that's laughable..

0-11 WIU held SDSU to 34 Points.. so Using some logic yous dreamers use 0-11 WIU could have kicked the Old Ambulance Companys ass.

And your high school stadium,, please upgrade.

clenz
January 15th, 2023, 11:49 PM
You're both right.

YSU should be literally the last scholarship program telling anyone "Play a real schedule" given the fact YSU plays an OOC of almost exclusively NEC/PFL teams with an occasional FBS thrown in. To the point it became a running joke that YSU was going to start 3-0, maybe 5-0 yearly if the schedule makers were nice for the Valley, and get ranked in the top 12-15 and then they were going to finish with between 4 and 5 wins total.

Pot - kettle as far as scheduling goes

Having said that, YSU does play a minimum of 5 if not 6 or 7 ranked teams in conference play yearly so playing a "real" OOC, as the innuendo is out of bigred in this thread is going after, would be insanely dumb. Just see every UNI schedule since 2011 and the bitching we do about the fact we are playing an B10/B12 team every year (two of them 4 times between 2012 and 2026) and then playing EWU, Montana, Sac State, Weber State, etc. for the other 2 games.

When you play in a conference of the deaf, blind, and paralyzed the idea of only playing patsy OOC schedules does leave a ton of room needing to be made up before you can talk any kind of **** for win totals or anyone else's scheduling.

An interesting way to look at it is UNI going 7-4 or 6-5 against the schedule our AD loves to put out there. Typically a top 4 schedule in the nation, but this year was "easy" in that it was only 10th and we only played an FBS team that is something like 33-8 the last 3 full seasons with 3 bowl wins and then 7 or our 10 FCS games were against team in the top 30 of the final Massey rating. That would make 8 of UNIs 11 games against top 30 teams. 2 point loss to 14 in game 2 of the season on the road, 2 point loss to #27, and 3 point loss to #1 and had a 1 score game with less than 4 minutes left with the ball driving in for a tying score agaisnt #4 in week 3.

Holy Cross played 1 of those kind of games in the regular season -
29 (Yale)

Both UNI and Holy Cross played SDSU. SDSU needed a FG as the clock hit zero to win - and actually needed two of them to do it as they got bailed out by a pretty iffy penalty on eon they missed and would have sent the game to OT. Holy Cross lost by 3 scores.

Now imagine Holy Cross played 7 more of those games before the playoffs even started. Holy Cross's toughest regular season match up would be considered a below average game in the Valley for SOS purposes.

Back to ****ting on YSU

YSU played an OOC of 97 and 103. It's what they do. They can't play an OOC FCS game against a full scholarship team. I'm pretty sure it's actually illegal in the Ohio consitution somehow with how much they avoid it.

But they also had to play conference games against

WIU didn't seem to play SDSU much worse than Holy Cross did at the end of the day - 21 point loss for Holy Cross to a 24 point loss for WIU.

SDSU played 3 FCS games where they didn't win by at least 14 all season

Cal Poly - 2
NDSU - 2 (regular season)
UNI - 3

UNI and Poly both finished 6-5 and both had much better teams and would have actually dont significantly better than a couple of the teams that got in a head of them - as would YSU (probably).

UNHWildcat18
January 16th, 2023, 05:14 AM
I chuckle at your whataboutism.. this has nothing to do with YSU.. We play in the toughest conference in the FCS and are what we are. This dick and you dweebs buying into Holy Cross being good cause they played out their ass in one game is something special? Now that's laughable..

0-11 WIU held SDSU to 34 Points.. so Using some logic yous dreamers use 0-11 WIU could have kicked the Old Ambulance Companys ass.

And your high school stadium,, please upgrade.

To say they aren’t good is also laughable. A team can be good but not the number 1/2 team(s) in the nation.. You are just salty AF because you were left out of the playoffs yet you beat no one in the playoffs. Put plainly just win 8 games next year and stop complaining.

Oh yes our stadium with its horrible away side, if I could fix it I would. Not gonna lie it may have no track but your home side is one oversized old gal.

ysubigred
January 16th, 2023, 06:17 AM
You're both right.

YSU should be literally the last scholarship program telling anyone "Play a real schedule" given the fact YSU plays an OOC of almost exclusively NEC/PFL teams with an occasional FBS thrown in. To the point it became a running joke that YSU was going to start 3-0, maybe 5-0 yearly if the schedule makers were nice for the Valley, and get ranked in the top 12-15 and then they were going to finish with between 4 and 5 wins total.

Pot - kettle as far as scheduling goes

Having said that, YSU does play a minimum of 5 if not 6 or 7 ranked teams in conference play yearly so playing a "real" OOC, as the innuendo is out of bigred in this thread is going after, would be insanely dumb. Just see every UNI schedule since 2011 and the bitching we do about the fact we are playing an B10/B12 team every year (two of them 4 times between 2012 and 2026) and then playing EWU, Montana, Sac State, Weber State, etc. for the other 2 games.

When you play in a conference of the deaf, blind, and paralyzed the idea of only playing patsy OOC schedules does leave a ton of room needing to be made up before you can talk any kind of **** for win totals or anyone else's scheduling.

An interesting way to look at it is UNI going 7-4 or 6-5 against the schedule our AD loves to put out there. Typically a top 4 schedule in the nation, but this year was "easy" in that it was only 10th and we only played an FBS team that is something like 33-8 the last 3 full seasons with 3 bowl wins and then 7 or our 10 FCS games were against team in the top 30 of the final Massey rating. That would make 8 of UNIs 11 games against top 30 teams. 2 point loss to 14 in game 2 of the season on the road, 2 point loss to #27, and 3 point loss to #1 and had a 1 score game with less than 4 minutes left with the ball driving in for a tying score agaisnt #4 in week 3.

Holy Cross played 1 of those kind of games in the regular season -
29 (Yale)

Both UNI and Holy Cross played SDSU. SDSU needed a FG as the clock hit zero to win - and actually needed two of them to do it as they got bailed out by a pretty iffy penalty on eon they missed and would have sent the game to OT. Holy Cross lost by 3 scores.

Now imagine Holy Cross played 7 more of those games before the playoffs even started. Holy Cross's toughest regular season match up would be considered a below average game in the Valley for SOS purposes.

Back to ****ting on YSU

YSU played an OOC of 97 and 103. It's what they do. They can't play an OOC FCS game against a full scholarship team. I'm pretty sure it's actually illegal in the Ohio consitution somehow with how much they avoid it.

But they also had to play conference games against

WIU didn't seem to play SDSU much worse than Holy Cross did at the end of the day - 21 point loss for Holy Cross to a 24 point loss for WIU.

Cal Poly - 2
UNI - 3

UNI and Poly both finished 6-5 and both had much better teams and would have actually dont significantly better than a couple of the teams that got in a head of them - as would YSU (probably).Lol.. this coming from a team choke fan. You're a hater.. I'd also like to see YSU schedule someone other than PL and NEC teams.

Again this is not about YSU. I'm not on here saying YSU was better or schedule was tougher. And no I'm not salty about making the playoffs. Blowed it at MO Stare.

Your whataboutism is astounding..

Just pointing out that one game coming within 21 points of SDSU doesn't make the Old Ambulance company a FCS power house.

crusader11
January 16th, 2023, 08:06 AM
3 words..

I know it’s tough to come to terms with the fact that a team from the Patriot League is legitimately good. Cry more.

ysubigred
January 16th, 2023, 08:08 AM
I know it’s tough to come to terms with the fact that a team from the Patriot League is legitimately good. Cry more.Ok.. [emoji22] sensitive little fan base ye ole Ambulance company has. My good friends at Lehigh has been the standard for PL football.. when HC makes it to and challenges for a NC.. SHUT THE PIE HOLE [emoji43]*[emoji94]

DFW HOYA
January 16th, 2023, 09:03 AM
Common ground:

1. Holy Cross had a great year. That said, the Patriot League is a lower-tier conference where five schools had an out of conference record of 4-20 and two of them (Bucknell, Georgetown) are among the five worst teams anywhere in the East.

2. Nearly any CAA, MVFC, or OVC team above .500 in those leagues could probably win the Patriot.

ysubigred
January 16th, 2023, 09:36 AM
Common ground:

1. Holy Cross had a great year. That said, the Patriot League is a lower-tier conference where five schools had an out of conference record of 4-20 and two of them (Bucknell, Georgetown) are among the five worst teams anywhere in the East.

2. Nearly any CAA, MVFC, or OVC team above .500 in those leagues could probably win the Patriot.^^ This and thank you for stating that so well.

caribbeanhen
January 16th, 2023, 11:38 AM
Common ground:

2. Nearly any CAA, MVFC, or OVC team above .500 in those leagues could probably win the Patriot.

I would have agreed with you a few years ago but Holy Cross got good,

Is Sluka the primary reason for that though?

A Sluka lead HC team would be near the top of the CAA last year and Holy Cross is just better than OVC

DFW HOYA
January 16th, 2023, 11:48 AM
Holy Cross gets to 2-0, 3-0, maybe 4-0 before the season even starts.

F'N Hawks
January 16th, 2023, 11:57 AM
Let's put this another way: have NDSU and SDSU on your schedule every year and see how it turns out come playoff time.

Spoiler alert: the chances of you getting a seed are slim before season even starts.

ysubigred
January 16th, 2023, 01:50 PM
Let's put this another way: have NDSU and SDSU on your schedule every year and see how it turns out come playoff time.

Spoiler alert: the chances of you getting a seed are slim before season even starts.^^ comon sense prevails [emoji3060]

Catbooster
January 16th, 2023, 02:09 PM
`Snip`

Cal Poly - 2
UNI - 3

UNI and Poly both finished 6-5 and both had much better teams and would have actually dont significantly better than a couple of the teams that got in a head of them - as would YSU (probably).

UC Davis

NY Crusader 2010
January 16th, 2023, 05:23 PM
Common ground:

Insert Big Sky for OVC and this is accurate most years, excepting years where we've produced league champs of the caliber of HC during Chesney era and a few of Lehigh and Colgate's best squads.

clenz
January 16th, 2023, 06:09 PM
UC Davis
Correct but I couldn't edit due to the bug that makes some posts just not editable.

clenz
January 16th, 2023, 06:14 PM
Lol.. this coming from a team choke fan. You're a hater.. I'd also like to see YSU schedule someone other than PL and NEC teams.

Again this is not about YSU. I'm not on here saying YSU was better or schedule was tougher. And no I'm not salty about making the playoffs. Blowed it at MO Stare.

Your whataboutism is astounding..

Just pointing out that one game coming within 21 points of SDSU doesn't make the Old Ambulance company a FCS power house.

It's your butthurt that makes this funny. It's your subconscious defense mechanism that makes it clear that you know I'm right with any critique I throw out about YSU.

If anything I was far more on "your side" in this. All I did is point out a YSU fan calling out schedule strength, especially when it started over the idea of OOC scheduling, is hilarious as **** given the fact YSU plays a bottom 10 OO SOS every year before I moved on to the rest of my post.

Hell, I even partially defended (very partially albeit) YSU's OOC scheduling because they do play in the Valley and scheduling a top 10 schedule every year, like UNI does, is dumb as **** to do when you are in that conference.

NY Crusader 2010
January 16th, 2023, 06:52 PM
This thread has gotten a bit repetitive. Why a Youngstown State fan seems to have an axe to grind when it comes to discussion of our 2022 season seems strange. It's not like we were battling each other over a seed or an at-large playoff berth. We were the Patriot League auto-bid and you guys were a bubble team that ended up on the outside looking in. Holy Cross was really good in 2022, defeating 2 FCS playoff at-large teams and an FBS team that won a bowl game. We would've won less games if we had to play a MVFC schedule. We lost to SDSU by 21 points in a game tied after 3 quarters -- take what you want from all that. The end.

ysubigred
January 16th, 2023, 08:22 PM
It's your butthurt that makes this funny. It's your subconscious defense mechanism that makes it clear that you know I'm right with any critique I throw out about YSU.

If anything I was far more on "your side" in this. All I did is point out a YSU fan calling out schedule strength, especially when it started over the idea of OOC scheduling, is hilarious as **** given the fact YSU plays a bottom 10 OO SOS every year before I moved on to the rest of my post.

Hell, I even partially defended (very partially albeit) YSU's OOC scheduling because they do play in the Valley and scheduling a top 10 schedule every year, like UNI does, is dumb as **** to do when you are in that conference.Damn your a sensitive little girl..

What is butthurt about anything I say? UNI is team choke. And your defense of YSU LOL.. You're a jealous hater..

And you're a bull****er no one has time to read your marathon posts.

But I do like your style [emoji41]

Daytripper
January 16th, 2023, 08:42 PM
Post-championship game AGS sure is angry and petty...xcoffeex

ysubigred
January 16th, 2023, 09:21 PM
Post-championship game AGS sure is angry and petty...xcoffeexYou know right..

Can't wait till September LOL.. Let's get back to football [emoji43]

uni88
January 16th, 2023, 09:52 PM
Damn your a sensitive little girl..

What is butthurt about anything I say? UNI is team choke. And your defense of YSU LOL.. You're a jealous hater..

And you're a bull****er no one has time to read your marathon posts.

But I do like your style [emoji41]

Are you arguing that YSU doesn't typically play a soft OOC schedule and UNI chokes?

Or are you trying to deflect from YSU playing a soft OOC schedule by shifting the focus to UNI choking?

If it's the first one, I'd love to see recent examples of YSU consistently playing a tough OOC schedule.

ysubigred
January 16th, 2023, 10:03 PM
Are you arguing that YSU doesn't typically play a soft OOC schedule and UNI chokes?

Or are you trying to deflect from YSU playing a soft OOC schedule by shifting the focus to UNI choking?

If it's the first one, I'd love to see recent examples of YSU consistently playing a tough OOC schedule.STFU.. THIS HAS NOTHING TO WITH YSU, an OOC schedule, or uni for that matter. I was basically laying some troll bait to the fans of the Notre Dame of FCS LOL..

No where did I compare YSU'S anything to HC. I just said they suck and get a tougher schedule.. actually would be hard since they play in the PL. So I got out in front of my ski's on the schedule.

You PUNI idiots can't comprehend English or something is mental about where you live and have to put your nose up YSU'S ass.

And yes PUNI is the king of choke.. no one has more trips to the playoffs without a NC than uni.

P.S. I have no ax to grind.

NY Crusader 2010
January 16th, 2023, 11:33 PM
STFU.. THIS HAS NOTHING TO WITH YSU, an OOC schedule, or uni for that matter. I was basically laying some troll bait to the fans of the Notre Dame of FCS LOL..

No where did I compare YSU'S anything to HC. I just said they suck and get a tougher schedule.. actually would be hard since they play in the PL. So I got out in front of my ski's on the schedule.

You PUNI idiots can't comprehend English or something is mental about where you live and have to put your nose up YSU'S ass.

And yes PUNI is the king of choke.. no one has more trips to the playoffs without a NC than uni.

ONE fan compared HC to ND. And yes, when you're in a conference, you're kind of stuck with the majority of your schedule. That's true for everyone. We play BC and Army next year as well as Yale and Harvard. Our one OOC "cupcake" for 2023 is our home game against Merrimack, who might win the NEC next year.

I see YSU's non-con next year is Valpo, Bob Morris and well....THE Ohio State University. Good luck to you guys next year.

Go...gate
January 17th, 2023, 01:09 AM
The 1982-1991 Holy Cross teams were very relevant nationally. Nearly always in the Top 20, sometimes Top 5-10. The 1987 team ended the season ranked #1 in most polls. Those teams did have scholarships up until 1991 when they were finally phased out. During that era they regularly beat FCS teams like Delaware, UMass, William&Mary and many others.....they also had 3 wins ovah Army from 1981-1987.

My Patriot League colleague is correct, especially about Cross 1982-1991.

Go...gate
January 17th, 2023, 01:15 AM

Indeed.

ysubigred
January 17th, 2023, 08:01 AM
Awe... you ****ing guys. Thanks, now I see the errors of my ways. It's like I just saw the light.

Not sure how the OOC got into my banter but I get it. Since HC has such a ****ty league schedule they have to have a dick measurement OOC to look relevant. So even "IF" they lose all of those, the ole Ambulance company can still make the watered-down playoffs with the auto bid. Great situation to be in..

YSU has the opposite problem, must get some W's to kick start a brutal conference schedule. Still tougher than any PL task of the super charger OOC.

I know YSU back in the late 80's and most of the 90's were like the Notre Dame of FCS also.. Playing as an independent and winning National Championships 3 to be exact.

I guess the only difference for YSU, HC and Notre Dame is you all have a touchdown Jesus and we have a Penguin on a stick.

And for my UNI buddies,, just think YSU is looking for a ring for the thumb, yous guys are still looking for a ring.

Don't hate the Playa hate the game..

xbowx

Lehigh'98
January 17th, 2023, 09:27 AM
Awe... you ****ing guys. Thanks, now I see the errors of my ways. It's like I just saw the light.

Not sure how the OOC got into my banter but I get it. Since HC has such a ****ty league schedule they have to have a dick measurement OOC to look relevant. So even "IF" they lose all of those, the ole Ambulance company can still make the watered-down playoffs with the auto bid. Great situation to be in..

YSU has the opposite problem, must get some W's to kick start a brutal conference schedule. Still tougher than any PL task of the super charger OOC.

I know YSU back in the late 80's and most of the 90's were like the Notre Dame of FCS also.. Playing as an independent and winning National Championships 3 to be exact.

I guess the only difference for YSU, HC and Notre Dame is you all have a touchdown Jesus and we have a Penguin on a stick.

And for my UNI buddies,, just think YSU is looking for a ring for the thumb, yous guys are still looking for a ring.

xbowx

Tressel is kind of like Jesus in Y-Town, so TD Jimmy maybe??

ysubigred
January 17th, 2023, 09:45 AM
Tressel is kind of like Jesus in Y-Town, so TD Jimmy maybe??LOL,, actually he's God.

NY Crusader 2010
January 17th, 2023, 10:55 AM

xbowx

Double-edged sword IMO. Pros and cons to being on either side of the fence. Out of the Missouri Valley, you can lose 4 games (even 5 in 12 game years!) and still have a chance at making the postseason. Nothing wrong with that of course, the league's track record of success merits that. When you're in the Patriot League, 1 non-conference FCS loss and your at-large hopes go bye bye. So going undefeated in the league is almost a must if you want to play past Thanksgiving.

Holy Cross got a seed this year, the 8th seed. That's right, in a year where everything possible went right and where we went undefeated including our FBS portion of the schedule, we eeked out a first round bye with the 8th seed.

uni88
January 17th, 2023, 11:34 AM
STFU.. THIS HAS NOTHING TO WITH YSU, an OOC schedule, or uni for that matter. I was basically laying some troll bait to the fans of the Notre Dame of FCS LOL..

xlmaox

Isn't Tressel Mr. Rogers' evil twin?

ysubigred
January 17th, 2023, 12:27 PM
Double-edged sword IMO. Pros and cons to being on either side of the fence. Out of the Missouri Valley, you can lose 4 games (even 5 in 12 game years!) and still have a chance at making the postseason. Nothing wrong with that of course, the league's track record of success merits that. When you're in the Patriot League, 1 non-conference FCS loss and your at-large hopes go bye bye. So going undefeated in the league is almost a must if you want to play past Thanksgiving.

Holy Cross got a seed this year, the 8th seed. That's right, in a year where everything possible went right and where we went undefeated including our FBS portion of the schedule, we eeked out a first round bye with the 8th seed.Good post ^^ nothing but respect for what HC and Lehigh has done.

Unfortunately, YSU doesn't get much help, again it could be the OOC or deciding to lose late season games (November). Been left out of the playoffs at 8-3 skull dragging Pitt that year. Now UNI can lose 8 game and some how get in LOL..

Looking at the schedule for next year I'm saying The flightless birds are 8-3 at best. L to the Ohio state, SDSU and UNI, they have our number it's said they could dress the band and get the W.. so YSU could already be a bubble team unless the team has greatly improved from last year..

I have a theory on YSU not getting in the playoffs.. usually when they get in we make a deep run usually knocking off some playoff darlings of the FCS.. NCAA and the playoff committee has their little friends in high places $ no proof just my 6th sense kicking in [emoji2955]

ysubigred
January 17th, 2023, 12:38 PM
xlmaox

Isn't Tressel Mr. Rogers' evil twin?xlolx

Well it's said Tressel was created in the likeness of God..

I'm hearing Farley is Joe Scarborough insider on knowledge.. [emoji11]

clenz
January 17th, 2023, 12:49 PM
I have a theory on YSU not getting in the playoffs.. usually when they get in we make a deep run usually knocking off some playoff darlings of the FCS.. NCAA and the playoff committee has their little friends in high places $ no proof just my 6th sense kicking in [emoji2955]

What years that you missed did you deserve a bid?

21- 3-7 (2-6)
20 - 1-6
19 6-6 (2-6) - OOC wins were Samford, Howard, Duquesne, Robert Morris - Valley wins were WIU and ISUr
18 - 475 (3-5)
17 - 6-5 (4-4)
15 - 5-6 (3-5)
14 - 7-5 (4-4) - lost final 3 games of the season and OOC wins were Duquesne, St Francis, Butler
13 - 8-4 (5-3) - maybe this year but YSU lose the last 3 of the season and were blown the **** out the final 2 weeks and OOC wins were Dayton, Morhead State and Dquesne
12 - 7-4 (4-4) this is your best/only real gripe as you had an FBS win and won the final 3 to close the season but with you didn't beat a FCS team that was over .500 and with tie breakers you still finished 7th in the Valley. It was also a 16 team playoff field not 20 or 24. Ranked teams of NAU, James Madison, Eastern Kentucky and #13 Lehigh (10-1) didn't make the playoffs. An unranked 7th place Valley team wasn't making the field in 2012
11 - 6-5 (4-4) OOC wins of Valpo and St Francis
10 - 3-8 (1-7)
09 - 6-5 (4-4) - again 16 team field and you had wins over 3-8 Northeastern, 4-7 Austin Peay, 3-8 NDSU, 1-10 ISUB, 1-10 WIU and 6-5 ISUr
08 - 4-8 (3-5)
07 - 7-4 (3-3)

As I pointed out - the running joke is YSU gets to 3 wins by week 3 and then struggles to get 3 more in the final 8 or 9 weeks. The argument has long been made that YSU isn't prepped for Valley play beacuse their 3 OOC games are pulling the starters by the 2nd quarter beacuse they are playing high school JV teams pretending to be college programs.

caribbeanhen
January 17th, 2023, 12:55 PM
If I had any say the Penguidos would be in the Patriot tomorrow

One year lease

Lets see it play out on the field

clenz
January 17th, 2023, 12:56 PM
Good post ^^ nothing but respect for what HC and Lehigh has done.

Unfortunately, YSU doesn't get much help, again it could be the OOC or deciding to lose late season games (November). Been left out of the playoffs at 8-3 skull dragging Pitt that year. Now UNI can lose 8 game and some how get in LOL..

You're also wrong

You were left out of a 16 team field at 8-3 - but you finished third in the Gateway in a 16 team field, lost two of your last 3 by multiple scores, and were ranked outside of the top 16.

You also didn't skull drag Pitt - the skull ****ed you 41-0.

You also played OOC games of D2 Slippery Rock, 2-9 Northeastern, and 1-10 Liberty.

Conference wins over
7-4 Illinois State
0-11 Indiana State
5-6 Western Illinois
4-6 Missouri State
6-5 Western Kentucky

You beat 2 teams with a winning record and neither reaches the level of quality win.

The two Valley teams that made the playoffs that year were #6 UNI with the automatic bid (who also probably didn't get in without the automatic bid) and #8 Southern Illinois. All you had to do was beat one of UNI or SIU in the final 3 weeks of the year and you win the conference and make the playoffs. Instead, you got butt ****ed by both.

You try to pass these sneaky little lies out there hoping no one notices and it helps you. You're going to get called on it and the truth will come out.

ysubigred
January 17th, 2023, 01:27 PM
You're also wrong

You were left out of a 16 team field at 8-3 - but you finished third in the Gateway in a 16 team field, lost two of your last 3 by multiple scores, and were ranked outside of the top 16.

You also didn't skull drag Pitt - the skull ****ed you 41-0.

You also played OOC games of D2 Slippery Rock, 2-9 Northeastern, and 1-10 Liberty.

Conference wins over
7-4 Illinois State
0-11 Indiana State
5-6 Western Illinois
4-6 Missouri State
6-5 Western Kentucky

You beat 2 teams with a winning record and neither reaches the level of quality win.

The two Valley teams that made the playoffs that year were #6 UNI with the automatic bid (who also probably didn't get in without the automatic bid) and #8 Southern Illinois. All you had to do was beat one of UNI or SIU in the final 3 weeks of the year and you win the conference and make the playoffs. Instead, you got butt ****ed by both.

You try to pass these sneaky little lies out there hoping no one notices and it helps you. You're going to get called on it and the truth will come out.Hey GFYS.. your nose is so far up my ass you probably smell what I had for breakfast.

We skull drug Pitt and finished 7-4 my bad.

No lies just just keeping you busy. Go help Farley not to choke away playoff losses..

ysubigred
January 17th, 2023, 01:34 PM
What years that you missed did you deserve a bid?

21- 3-7 (2-6)
20 - 1-6
19 6-6 (2-6) - OOC wins were Samford, Howard, Duquesne, Robert Morris - Valley wins were WIU and ISUr
18 - 475 (3-5)
17 - 6-5 (4-4)
15 - 5-6 (3-5)
14 - 7-5 (4-4) - lost final 3 games of the season and OOC wins were Duquesne, St Francis, Butler
13 - 8-4 (5-3) - maybe this year but YSU lose the last 3 of the season and were blown the **** out the final 2 weeks and OOC wins were Dayton, Morhead State and Dquesne
12 - 7-4 (4-4) this is your best/only real gripe as you had an FBS win and won the final 3 to close the season but with you didn't beat a FCS team that was over .500 and with tie breakers you still finished 7th in the Valley. It was also a 16 team playoff field not 20 or 24. Ranked teams of NAU, James Madison, Eastern Kentucky and #13 Lehigh (10-1) didn't make the playoffs. An unranked 7th place Valley team wasn't making the field in 2012
11 - 6-5 (4-4) OOC wins of Valpo and St Francis
10 - 3-8 (1-7)
09 - 6-5 (4-4) - again 16 team field and you had wins over 3-8 Northeastern, 4-7 Austin Peay, 3-8 NDSU, 1-10 ISUB, 1-10 WIU and 6-5 ISUr
08 - 4-8 (3-5)
07 - 7-4 (3-3)

As I pointed out - the running joke is YSU gets to 3 wins by week 3 and then struggles to get 3 more in the final 8 or 9 weeks. The argument has long been made that YSU isn't prepped for Valley play beacuse their 3 OOC games are pulling the starters by the 2nd quarter beacuse they are playing high school JV teams pretending to be college programs.What year did PUNI get past the second round.. running joke is the UNI playoff pass for other teams to advance..
As I pointed out - the running joke is YSU gets to 3 wins by week 3 and then struggles to get 3 more in the final 8 or 9 weeks. The argument has long been made that YSU isn't prepped for Valley play beacuse their 3 OOC games are pulling the starters by the 2nd quarter beacuse they are playing high school JV teams pretending to be college programs.

^^This I agree with.. I'm on record hating the OOC.

Penguin envy is a horrible thing xlolx