PDA

View Full Version : Chris Hatcher for the Eddie Robinson?

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 3rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
I'm completely overwhelmed at how GSU has been able to win these last three games. We have beaten two top-10 teams on the road and beat a ranked team at home.

Our defense to begin with this year was made up of transfers, freshmen, and converted offensive players. Since then two players have been kicked off of the team, one has had a career-ending injury, and a few guys have been in-and-out with injuries. GSU's true freshman running back had to take over at conerback today, to give you an idea of how bad the situation is. Now I think we are one win away from locking a place in the playoffs. I can't find the preseason conference rankings for this year, but I don't think there are many teams in the FCS that have exceeded everyone's preseason expectations as much as we have.

I'll be disappointed if GSU does not take either an Eddie Robinson or a Walter Payton trophy home this year.

gophoenix
November 3rd, 2007, 10:59 PM
I'm completely overwhelmed at how GSU has been able to win these last three games. We have beaten two top-10 teams on the road and beat a ranked team at home.

Our defense to begin with this year was made up of transfers, freshmen, and converted offensive players. Since then two players have been kicked off of the team, one has had a career-ending injury, and a few guys have been in-and-out with injuries. GSU's true freshman running back had to take over at conerback today, to give you an idea of how bad the situation is. Now I think we are one win away from locking a place in the playoffs. I can't find the preseason conference rankings for this year, but I don't think there are many teams in the FCS that have exceeded everyone's preseason expectations as much as we have.

I'll be disappointed if GSU does not take either an Eddie Robinson or a Walter Payton trophy home this year.

Uhm, Lembo took a team that was 20 spots from the bottom of I-AA and made them a ranked school, in a year where they predicted last in the SoCon. Beaten 1 top 10 team and another top 20 team. FWIW. When it comes down to expectations, I would give Lembo the nod for overcoming those more so.

Hatcher won't get the Robinson, and Foster isn't going to get the Payton. The real question is who is SoCon coach of the year: Moore, Hatcher, Higgins or Lembo.

Moore - beats Michigan
Higgins - Doormat to Top 25
Hatcher - a mess predicted 5th in the conference to the top 15 this week
Lembo - predicted last, now tied for first and should still be top 20.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 3rd, 2007, 11:14 PM
Uhm, Lembo took a team that was 20 spots from the bottom of I-AA and made them a ranked school, in a year where they predicted last in the SoCon. Beaten 1 top 10 team and another top 20 team. FWIW. When it comes down to expectations, I would give Lembo the nod for overcoming those more so.

Hatcher won't get the Robinson, and Foster isn't going to get the Payton. The real question is who is SoCon coach of the year: Moore, Hatcher, Higgins or Lembo.

Moore - beats Michigan
Higgins - Doormat to Top 25
Hatcher - a mess predicted 5th in the conference to the top 15 this week
Lembo - predicted last, now tied for first and should still be top 20.

Point taken about Lembo, but I do think he overall has more talent overall (mainly on defense) than we do. We were probably in the "doormat" boat last year, as well. Moore probably won't get Socon CotY unless he wins another NC. Higgins probably needed to get into the playoffs to have a chance and he won't be going to the playoffs after today. He probably won't even get back into the top 25, so it comes down to Lembo and Hatcher.

And show me anyone who has better offensive numbers than Foster does.
1567 yards, 7.5 YPC, and 906 passing yards. That and two games left to play. Even without the passing yards, I think he is the top guy.

gophoenix
November 3rd, 2007, 11:17 PM
I didn't say Foster wasn't the best guy on the chart. I just know that it is a popularity contest and fate of the team seems to affect the skill of the player getting voted on. See how playoff team's player got voted ahead of Nkang despite the numbers.

Typically, the guy with the best numbers doesn't get the award. Which makes you wonder, how can it be for offensive and defensive player of the year if the best numbers don't seem to get it?

But still, a ton of football to be played.

And the comment about Lembo isn't to say Hatcher hasn't done a good job. We have 3 fine YOUNG coaches in the conference right now to go along with the older winning guys.

BEAR
November 3rd, 2007, 11:22 PM
The "Hatch" attack does it again. Man that guy is destined for great things. Way to go Chris! xthumbsupx

Maverick
November 3rd, 2007, 11:26 PM
What about Tom Masella at Fordham? He has done more with much less than Hatcher! Compared to what GSU has (even with the disgrace that was the BVG debacle) to have Fordham where they are could be a much greater accomplishment considering the challenges he has overcome.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 3rd, 2007, 11:35 PM
I didn't say Foster wasn't the best guy on the chart. I just know that it is a popularity contest and fate of the team seems to affect the skill of the player getting voted on. See how playoff team's player got voted ahead of Nkang despite the numbers.

Typically, the guy with the best numbers doesn't get the award. Which makes you wonder, how can it be for offensive and defensive player of the year if the best numbers don't seem to get it?

But still, a ton of football to be played.

And the comment about Lembo isn't to say Hatcher hasn't done a good job. We have 3 fine YOUNG coaches in the conference right now to go along with the older winning guys.

If it's political, I don' think that's how the thing works. Villanova didn't make the playoffs the year that Brian Westbrook won the Payton.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 3rd, 2007, 11:36 PM
What about Tom Masella at Fordham? He has done more with much less than Hatcher! Compared to what GSU has (even with the disgrace that was the BVG debacle) to have Fordham where they are could be a much greater accomplishment considering the challenges he has overcome.

Like I said, I couldn't find the preseason conference rankings, and I figured that probably both Fordham and Holy Cross were probably relatively low in the preseason conference rankings. Norfolk State may have been in the MEAC, also.

Appaholic
November 3rd, 2007, 11:59 PM
I could agree with either Hatcher of Lembo from socon....impressive job by both....xthumbsupx

AlphaSigMD
November 4th, 2007, 12:07 AM
In all fairness, GSU has much much more to work with than Elon.

Ok, BVG was a horrible coach, but he didn't break everyone's kneecaps and magically take away their athletic ability. The fact that this team was a 3-8 last year was a miracle. Hatcher is doing a good job, but Sewak would have done more with the same athletes had not you AD gone insane.

Elon has been the detroit lions of the SoCon. Lembo definitely has Coach of the Year honors. He's done more with less, and nobody saw it coming.

pete4256
November 4th, 2007, 12:49 AM
I don't think you guys have a conception of how bleak the situation was at GSU when Hatcher took over. We don't have a whole lot of talent. We're playing pretty far over our heads in a lot of ways.

Laserlips
November 4th, 2007, 07:24 AM
I don't think you guys have a conception of how bleak the situation was at GSU when Hatcher took over. We don't have a whole lot of talent. We're playing pretty far over our heads in a lot of ways.

JMOFO:

At the beginning of the season when it looked like we were loaded at running back, great "potential" on the defensive side and with Jayson running the show I thought we would have a winning season.

I never thought we would be as successful in 2007 as we have been, even with healthy players.

Then we had more injuries hit the team than I can remember in any previous season... We are hobbled up at almost every postion, yet the Eagles have managed to hang on for wins at places like Boone, against Wofford on Homecoming, and even whip the Citadel in Paulson.. We have won at least two games that truthfully we could well have lost, but lost two games, in overtime, we could just as easily have won... It's been a weird year, and I don't have to tell you how much Jayson at the helm has had to do with our success up to this point.

I'm just happy the "Hatchman" is in the 'Boro, the idiot VanGoober is looking more incompetent everytime Jayson scores, and it seems the sinking GSU Eagle football ship seems to be back on course.

I have no doubt that in 2008 with the absence of Jayson our Eagles will have a year rebuilding, (perhaps two years) until Chris Hatcher get his recruits and program on track. But I honestly believe that our Eagles WILL get on track and once again be playing football with the best of the best in the SOCON on a yearly basis.xbowx

I'm just thankful for each new win, and I hope before the season is over Jayson continues to set new records.. Jayson is an awesome player, and a class individual. We have been extremely fortunate to watch Jayson perform miracles game after game, and obviously I hope it continues...xthumbsupx

YMMV

J.Pomeroy

Baldy
November 4th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Brian VanGorder is that you? xeyebrowx

Syntax Error
November 4th, 2007, 11:29 AM
You'd have to think that Hatcher will surely be among the 16 nominees this year.

pete4256
November 4th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Brian VanGorder is that you? xeyebrowx

Dang . . . I've been caught again!

gophoenix
November 4th, 2007, 12:46 PM

1 season is not bleak. You guys are the drama queens of the SoCon sometimes. If you understood multiple losing seasons where you were losing by 25+ per game, then perhaps you'd understand what bleak really means. This was Elon 2 years ago. Bleak is going into every game, not just knowing you were going to lose but knowing you were going to lose badly.

Calling a season like last season bleak is a complete lack of comprehension on what bleak teams really deal with.

FCS Preview
November 4th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Dave Cohen, Hofstra.
From (2-9) last year to (7-2) so far this year in the CAA.

gatadotcom
November 4th, 2007, 12:53 PM
1 season is not bleak. You guys are the drama queens of the SoCon sometimes. If you understood multiple losing seasons where you were losing by 25+ per game, then perhaps you'd understand what bleak really means. This was Elon 2 years ago. Bleak is going into every game, not just knowing you were going to lose but knowing you were going to lose badly.

Calling a season like last season bleak is a complete lack of comprehension on what bleak teams really deal with.

We're not "drama queens", WE ARE GEORGIA SOUTHERN!

We've won more National Championships than any team in the history of I-AA/FCS. We've won more playoff games than 99% of teams that tee it up every weekend. Our fans travel the largest crowds to away games than anyone else in the country, we have great student support and alumni backing, and we are used to being incredibly successful on the field.

Last year's debacle was indeed "bleak" if you are Georgia Southern. We expect to win the damn title each and every year, and we are disaapointed and hurt when we don't make a December trip for the title game.

Maybe fans from E-Loan and others that have experienced "multiple losing seasons" can't comprehend our attitudes and beliefs, but ask the Montana fans, and the Youngstown fans, and the Delaware fans. They'll tell you the same thing.

If you're not playing into the second or third round of the playoffs, then consider it a "bleak" season.

And, for the record, I hope to see the Elonkers on the field again this season. A different outcome is guaranteed!

Syntax Error
November 4th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Calling a season like last season bleak is a complete lack of comprehension on what bleak teams really deal with.I agree but this thread is about Hatcher for the Rob award. BTW, I think that Lembo will surely be among the 16 nominees this year too.

Jerbearasu
November 4th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Hard not to look at NDSU's head coach... He was 1 point away from winning it last year and this year has a perfect record with 2 wins over FBS competition and a #1 ranking in some of the polls... Pretty impressive especially since his team is playing for consolation prizes!

Syntax Error
November 4th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I am of the opinion that the coach of a good returning team shouldn't win the Rob award unless they do something outrageously spectacular. I like the "worst to first" type coaches instead.

grizband
November 4th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I am of the opinion that the coach of a good returning team shouldn't win the Rob award unless they do something outrageously spectacular. I like the "worst to first" type coaches instead.
Joe Glenn is an example of this, when in 2000 he led the Griz to a 13-2 record and an appearance in the title game.

uofmman1122
November 4th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Our fans travel the largest crowds to away games than anyone else in the countryThat's very debatable.

FargoBison
November 4th, 2007, 04:04 PM
That's very debatable.

very, very debatable.

AlphaSigMD
November 4th, 2007, 04:40 PM

We've won more National Championships than any team in the history of I-AA/FCS. We've won more playoff games than 99% of teams that tee it up every weekend. Our fans travel the largest crowds to away games than anyone else in the country, we have great student support and alumni backing, and we are used to being incredibly successful on the field.

Last year's debacle was indeed "bleak" if you are Georgia Southern. We expect to win the damn title each and every year, and we are disaapointed and hurt when we don't make a December trip for the title game.

Maybe fans from E-Loan and others that have experienced "multiple losing seasons" can't comprehend our attitudes and beliefs, but ask the Montana fans, and the Youngstown fans, and the Delaware fans. They'll tell you the same thing.

If you're not playing into the second or third round of the playoffs, then consider it a "bleak" season.

And, for the record, I hope to see the Elonkers on the field again this season. A different outcome is guaranteed!

Thanks for proving my point on why Hatcher doesn't deserve the ER award. Not by a LOOOOOOOOOONG shot. He's doing a good job, but not one deserving the ER.

I agree with the sentiment that was given in the thread you previously responded to. Georgia Southern knows nothing of the pain the Elon has endured since joining the SoCon. If you had 6 years of going 3-8 in a row, and Hatcher came in and turned it into a 8-3 season, then yeah, I'd think he did a good job and deserved the award. But this is a good team that had a bad year. ONE bad year. ONE bad year that has been discussed and complained about quite a bit. Is it enough to say that GSU fans are drama queens? I don't know about that...but things certainly were not as bleak in GSU land as everyone would have liked to you to believe. Not even the most inept coach can completely destroy a solid program in a year, unless he breaks some sort of NCAA rule. Certainly not a powerhouse with 6 national championships. Remember, you fired your previous coach after a 9-2 season 2 years ago. 9-2 team, not a 2-9 team like Elon. Hatcher will more than likely not even get to the record that Sewak was fired for.

So let Elon have their year in the spotlight, because they certainly deserve it. Plus, they beat you and are currently in position to win the SoCon autobid, something that has NEVER happened. They won't get a homegame like GSU will if they go to playoffs, so why not allow them to have SOME form of self respect for a season well played, and get the hell over yourself before you anoint yourselves the "Amazing Georgia Southern who Cannot be Beaten by Mortal Men".

Plus, remember, to get to the National Championship, you will eventually have to go through App State again. I'm not saying that we are guarenteed a win, or are a "better team" than you, but I'm very optimistic about how the game would turn out.

gophoenix
November 4th, 2007, 05:26 PM

And thus, by this insane tirade here, you are proving my drama queen point. Should I get a crown for you to wear too?

gatadotcom
November 4th, 2007, 05:52 PM
So let Elon have their year in the spotlight, because they certainly deserve it. Plus, they beat you and are currently in position to win the SoCon autobid, something that has NEVER happened. They won't get a homegame like GSU will if they go to playoffs, so why not allow them to have SOME form of self respect for a season well played, and get the hell over yourself before you anoint yourselves the "Amazing Georgia Southern who Cannot be Beaten by Mortal Men".

Plus, remember, to get to the National Championship, you will eventually have to go through App State again. I'm not saying that we are guarenteed a win, or are a "better team" than you, but I'm very optimistic about how the game would turn out.

Get over ourselves? We don't have to get over ourselves because WE ARE GEORGIA SOUTHERN. We're the guys that, when defeated, have our oppositions' students charging the field and ripping down goal posts. We're the guys that the rest of the SoCon and most of I-AA has looked UP to for the past twenty years. We're the guys that share top billing with only a handful of other programs; Montana, Youngstown, Delaware, Northern Iowa, etc. Y'all can easily figure out who is in our club - it's the programs that win year-in-and-year-out.

Yes, we are cocky as hell. And, yes, we don't know about year-after-year of losing seasons. THANK GOODNESS we don't know how this feels. The last thing we want is to be another Elonker College. They don't deserve anything this year, unless they earn it during an entire eleven game schedule. I'm praying they slip up this weekend. With our upcoming victory over Furman, this would probably knock the Elonkers out of the playoffs.

I'll take winning conference titles, playing 12 to 15 games a season, and disrupting my Christmas shopping for a trip to a national championship game ANY day over living a season as an Elonker fan. It's worth sacrificing vacations days during the summer so I can save them up for traveling with my Eagles during the playoffs, and it's a pleasure to dig deep and buy playoff tickets and make airline reservations for those Devember games. Last year sucked because me and my fellow Eagle fans didn't have a playoff game to attend. I hated it.

Georgia Southern may not be "amazing" every single year, but we're damn sure on the short list of teams that are close to being "amazing". We didn't anoint ourselves, our student-athletes and our coaches earned us this right over the past twenty years.

Admit it, most of y'all are just jealous. But then, you have every right to be . . . because WE ARE GEORGIA SOUTHERN!

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2007, 05:59 PM
My feeling is Jayson Foster should win the Payton but not Hatcher for the ER. Hatcher walked in on a team with a phenomenal athlete and a team full of 1-A transfers. The cupboard wasn't exactly bare when he arrived.

I give him credit for finding a way to utilize Jayson Foster, but lets face it, without #4 the Eagle's don't have nearly the same record. He is more important to that team than probably anyone in college football.

gophoenix
November 4th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Get over ourselves? We don't have to get over ourselves because WE ARE GEORGIA SOUTHERN. We're the guys that, when defeated, have our oppositions' students charging the field and ripping down goal posts. We're the guys that the rest of the SoCon and most of I-AA has looked UP to for the past twenty years. We're the guys that share top billing with only a handful of other programs; Montana, Youngstown, Delaware, Northern Iowa, etc. Y'all can easily figure out who is in our club - it's the programs that win year-in-and-year-out.

Yes, we are cocky as hell. And, yes, we don't know about year-after-year of losing seasons. THANK GOODNESS we don't know how this feels. The last thing we want is to be another Elonker College. They don't deserve anything this year, unless they earn it during an entire eleven game schedule. I'm praying they slip up this weekend. With our upcoming victory over Furman, this would probably knock the Elonkers out of the playoffs.

I'll take winning conference titles, playing 12 to 15 games a season, and disrupting my Christmas shopping for a trip to a national championship game ANY day over living a season as an Elonker fan. It's worth sacrificing vacations days during the summer so I can save them up for traveling with my Eagles during the playoffs, and it's a pleasure to dig deep and buy playoff tickets and make airline reservations for those Devember games. Last year sucked because me and my fellow Eagle fans didn't have a playoff game to attend. I hated it.

Georgia Southern may not be "amazing" every single year, but we're damn sure on the short list of teams that are close to being "amazing". We didn't anoint ourselves, our student-athletes and our coaches earned us this right over the past twenty years.

Admit it, most of y'all are just jealous. But then, you have every right to be . . . because WE ARE GEORGIA SOUTHERN!

I've got a little princess crown you can wear. How's that?

FCSFAN
November 4th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I've got a little princess crown you can wear. How's that?I think his bottle cap is enough. xlolx

gatadotcom
November 4th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I've got a little princess crown you can wear. How's that?

You know, it's not surprising that you keep a little pricess crown in your closet. I'm sure you've had many years of fun wearing it.

And, for the record, when you win the big games in I-AA/FCS, the only jewelry you wear are CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS. That's something the Elonkers will never experience first-hand.

gophoenix
November 4th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Yes, because most of those GSU fans have a ring. So to be honest, to most GSU fans, a ring makes no difference. That's why I offered up a little crown for your head. And if you do have a ring, I'm sure it would compliment it nicely.

And to put it another way for you, Elon won championships and had rings before GSU even fielded a football team.

gatadotcom
November 4th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Hey Elonker -

Go back to your dorm room, put on your princess crown, and watch re-runs of American Idol. You bore me.

Oh yeah. Chris Hatcher for Coach of The Year!

gophoenix
November 4th, 2007, 06:38 PM
LOL

So you basically ran out of material. Not surprising.

Chris Hatcher for Coach of The Year!

Sounds like the Ross Perot campaign.

AlphaSigMD
November 4th, 2007, 07:07 PM

Lets just go ahead and get this moved to the smack board. I'll do my best to expedite that.

You've gotta be kidding me if you think there is any more coveted win in FCS these days than against ASU. You are Georgia Southern? Yes, but in name only. Georgia Southern is nowhere near its glory days, even though they aren't a cellar dweller.

Remember, Georgia Southern has stacked teams, yes...but keep in mind, they haven't done anything since the 1999-2000 that is even close to what ASU has accomplished in the last 2 years. I see you left them out of your teams, because you couldn't help to admit to yourself that you are no longer even close to being king of the SoCon. In fact, last year, you were the little b****. And this year, you got embaressed at home by the next to last team in the SoCon, and you needed the ref's to hand you the game against ASU by calling back DJ's runback, even after we spotted you 14 points in the first minute.

Remember, even at your best...you NEVER, EVER beat a top FCS opponent. Nobody ever has. At your 1989 best, you never got the press coverage that ASU has had this year. Never got a 3rd straight National Championship like ASU will...and will be embaressed if you ever get the privilage of playing against ASU again.

ASU is the team of now, and the team of the future of the SoCon. Elon can come along for the ride if Scott (Lord Voldemort) Riddle can keep it together for the next few years. Georgia Southern is NOTHING without Jayson Foster. Good luck playing for 3rd place over the next few years.

Eaglesrus
November 4th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Lets just go ahead and get this moved to the smack board. I'll do my best to expedite that.

You've gotta be kidding me if you think there is any more coveted win in FCS these days than against ASU. You are Georgia Southern? Yes, but in name only. Georgia Southern is nowhere near its glory days, even though they aren't a cellar dweller.

Remember, Georgia Southern has stacked teams, yes...but keep in mind, they haven't done anything since the 1999-2000 that is even close to what ASU has accomplished in the last 2 years. I see you left them out of your teams, because you couldn't help to admit to yourself that you are no longer even close to being king of the SoCon. In fact, last year, you were the little b****. And this year, you got embaressed at home by the next to last team in the SoCon, and you needed the ref's to hand you the game against ASU by calling back DJ's runback, even after we spotted you 14 points in the first minute.

Remember, even at your best...you NEVER, EVER beat a top FCS opponent. Nobody ever has. At your 1989 best, you never got the press coverage that ASU has had this year. Never got a 3rd straight National Championship like ASU will...and will be embaressed if you ever get the privilage of playing against ASU again.

ASU is the team of now, and the team of the future of the SoCon. Elon can come along for the ride if Scott (Lord Voldemort) Riddle can keep it together for the next few years. Georgia Southern is NOTHING without Jayson Foster. Good luck playing for 3rd place over the next few years.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx You've gotta stop that, you're killing mexlolx xlolx xlolx

mrklean
November 4th, 2007, 07:59 PM

Were back...BEE-OOCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We beat you guys at your house. Deal with it!!!!!!!!!!

HiHiYikas
November 4th, 2007, 08:04 PM
My first church job, I worked with a pastor who replaced a guy who went off his nut and tried - twice - to burn down the church building. Was the guy I worked with pastor of the year? He was a very good minister, but, no, not pastor of the year. One thing's for sure - he looked amazing compared to the whacko before him.

I think this is one of those.

blueballs
November 5th, 2007, 08:20 AM

I hope all the rest of the ASU folks feel that way, although I think most have a bit of humility and perspective. You just keep right on thinking that... that humble pie tastes like s--t.

BTW, the 1989 team went 15-0... something NO other current FCS team has accomplished. Also, if GSU wins this weekend they are conference champions for the 8th time in the last 11 years.

You're right... we stink... but always remember this: 38 is more than 35, 39 and 38 are more than 31, and 6 is more than 2.

Class dismissed.

SuperEagle
November 5th, 2007, 08:29 AM
to get back on topic, I think if Elon wins this week then Lembo probably takes home the award. If Elon stumbles and GSU wins then Hatcher does have a great chance at it.

Ud1Hens
November 5th, 2007, 08:43 AM
I think the #1 thing preventing Foster from winning the Walter Payton award is Omar Cuff from Delaware. He is re-writing the record books this year. Just tied Kevin Richardson's TD record for a season with 31 (Richardson needed 15 games, Cuff just completed his 9th) By the time the year is over he will own these records:

Most TDs in a single game (7, which he currently owns)
TD's in a season (needs 1 to break it)
Rushing TDs in a season (has 27 needs 3 tie it)
TDs per game avg.
Points per game avg. (breaking Jerry Rices record)
Points scored in a season

Nobody will be able to match that resume.

drpnut
November 5th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Coach Hatch has done a very good job. And if GaSouth finishes 9-2 he will garner support for the "coach Rob" award. But if they go 8-3 or 7-4 I don't think he gets it.

"VanGobber" brought in so many DI transfers that it makes Coach Hatch's job even more important to get his own studs in without accepting many transfers.

I think it clouds things when I-AA teams are loaded wth I-A guys. Delaware won it in '03 with their 3 studs(QB,RB,DE) being DI transfers.

Furman was hot a couple of years ago thanks to Florida-ex Ingle Martin.
This is really another thread so I'll stop now.

Elon will lose another game so Coach Lembo will not get it either.

blueballs
November 5th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I think the #1 thing preventing Foster from winning the Walter Payton award is Omar Cuff from Delaware. He is re-writing the record books this year. Just tied Kevin Richardson's TD record for a season with 31 (Richardson needed 15 games, Cuff just completed his 9th) By the time the year is over he will own these records:

Most TDs in a single game (7, which he currently owns)
TD's in a season (needs 1 to break it)
Rushing TDs in a season (has 27 needs 3 tie it)
TDs per game avg.
Points per game avg. (breaking Jerry Rices record)
Points scored in a season

Nobody will be able to match that resume.

As long as we're talking about re-writing the record book didn't Adrian Peterson have 41 touchdowns and 2704 rushing yards in 1999?

As for Foster, he needs 35 yards rushing to break the all division record for rushing yards in a season by a QB.

Cuff has 1105 yards rushing and 334 receiving and 31 TD's combined in 9 games.

Foster has 1567 yards rushing, 906 passing (67% completion pct), 48 yards receiving, 107 on punt returns and has accounted for 24 TD's in 9 games. He also has 4 games of over 200 yards rushing... as long as we're talking about resumes.xlolx

Ud1Hens
November 5th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Missed that blue...my apologies. It will be interesting to see where the race goes. I wonder what Cuff's stats would look like if Delaware didn't pass the ball 40-50 times a game. Our QB is avg. over 300 yds. passing. That definately puts a dent into Cuff's stats. But I'll take 8-1 and leading the CAA over an award anyday.

straightshooter
November 5th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Foster also has nine TD runs over 50 yards this season.

blueballs
November 5th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Missed that blue...my apologies. It will be interesting to see where the race goes. I wonder what Cuff's stats would look like if Delaware didn't pass the ball 40-50 times a game. Our QB is avg. over 300 yds. passing. That definately puts a dent into Cuff's stats. But I'll take 8-1 and leading the CAA over an award anyday.

That's all that really matters... I'd bet Cuff would say that too.

RAMS83
November 5th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Coach Tom Masella at Fordham should get some consideration 8-2 (5-0 PL) . We were 3-8 last year and in preseason picked to finish at the lower end of conference. Fordham is going to the 1-aa playoffs as the Patriot League champ. The team is playing well and has won 6 straight. A guy to keep your eye on in in FCS football the next few years is soph. QB John "El Passo" Skelton (El Paso, TX hometown). He 6'5 220 and talented.

I dont know how Fordham will fair in the playoffs but Masella should be commended. If you dont know much about FU we play a spread offense with 1 back and several receviers. Pretty good size OL 6'3 300 avg. Good QB. Our Defense is small but fast. Coach Masella moved DB's to LB.. LBs to DE's etc.. to implement his speed over size philosophy on D..

lizrdgizrd
November 5th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Hatcher shouldn't win the ER. He's still got a lot of the talent from Sewak's last team and GS only went 3-8 last year because of the anti-Robinson-winner BVG's ineptitude. We all know your team was better than 3-8 last year and got coached down to that point. Lembo's done much more with Elon than Hatcher had to at GS. xpeacex

pete4256
November 5th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Hatcher shouldn't win the ER. He's still got a lot of the talent from Sewak's last team and GS only went 3-8 last year because of the anti-Robinson-winner BVG's ineptitude. We all know your team was better than 3-8 last year and got coached down to that point. Lembo's done much more with Elon than Hatcher had to at GS. xpeacex

Does everyone on here think that we have playmakers besides Foster, or that any significant percentage of players are still left from the Sewak era?

OL FU
November 5th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Listen, Hatcher took an 8-3 team and so far has turned them into a 7-2 team. He who shall not be named is the only one that could have turned that bunch of players into losersxnodx

lizrdgizrd
November 5th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Does everyone on here think that we have playmakers besides Foster, or that any significant percentage of players are still left from the Sewak era?
Oh, there's no one blocking for Foster on these run plays or catching the passes? Guess I didn't realize he was the whole team. xrolleyesx

citdog
November 5th, 2007, 12:32 PM
AH, NO. HATCHER WILL NOT EVEN BE SOCON COACH OF THE YEAR. MUCH LESS THE NATIONAL.