PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Restructuring

Professor Chaos
January 3rd, 2023, 01:29 PM
The NCAA Transformation Committee released their report today and HERO Sports' Sam Herder pulled a couple very interesting nuggets regarding championship formats:

https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1610354121369870343

I'd love to see seeding to 12 or 16 teams. As far as expanding the playoffs to get above that 25% threshold no thank you.

nodak651
January 3rd, 2023, 01:37 PM
I don't think playoff expansion is the end of the world when the least competitive teams are already in the current brackets via auto bid. The result would be more competitive games, not less.

JacksFan40
January 3rd, 2023, 01:37 PM
I’d shrink the field before expanding it, but I think 24 is the right number.

UNAPride
January 3rd, 2023, 02:23 PM
Interesting. With 130 FCS programs, that would be 32 playoff field with 16 seeds.

It would also expand March Madness to 90 teams being in the field.

clenz
January 3rd, 2023, 02:50 PM
Interesting. With 130 FCS programs, that would be 32 playoff field with 16 seeds.

It would also expand March Madness to 90 teams being in the field.
It wouldn't mean a 32 team field

There's key wording there that's being missed with the idea that it would require a 32 team field.

ElCid
January 3rd, 2023, 03:07 PM
Utterly ridiculous to think of expansion. Contraction is in order. Want to participate? Win your damn conference. Otherwise take a hike.

Not to mention that there are 26 teams in conferences that don't participate and another 11 teams who are not serious competition past the first round. That's 37 less or only 93 teams, of at least realistic participants capable of serious competition. Anyone seriously want over one third of the teams in a playoff? What planet do some of these people come from? This is being pushed by those looking at advancing their individual agendas, including $.

UNAPride
January 3rd, 2023, 03:42 PM

There's key wording there that's being missed with the idea that it would require a 32 team field.

Yeah, I skipped right over the "sponsored by more than 200 institutions".

So, this doesn't pertain to FCS at all.

WestCoastAggie
January 3rd, 2023, 04:14 PM
Are you all ready for a 4-region, 32-team bracket?

Professor Chaos
January 3rd, 2023, 04:43 PM
Are you all ready for a 4-region, 32-team bracket?
Well, that would go against the "Compose all Division I championships in a manner that reflects the highest level of bracket composition and quality of competition" part of it but these things aren't something that's been decided - the changes still need to be formally proposed and the member schools still need to vote on them so it's possible some of these changes come to fruition and some don't.

FUBeAR
January 3rd, 2023, 05:13 PM
Outside of the scope of “Playoff Restructuring.” This is D1 FBS Restructuring…

What y’all think this means???…

CATEGORY: Membership Expectations General

REVIEW AREA: Membership Expectations - Football Attendance Requirements - The Transformation Committee recommends a reconsideration and update of FBS membership requirements to determine appropriateness of maintaining the current attendance standard while focusing on other elements that more directly link the student-athlete experience to expectations for FBS membership criteria. This review should be established by the Division I Board of Directors, involve experts and key leaders from the FBS membership and focus on establishing more effective distinctions between the football subdivision.

TRANSFORMATION COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATION: Approve in concept. - Refer to the Council and Football Oversight Committee the exploration of any new subdivisional commitment expectations.

TIMELINE: Legislative action to be finalized by June 2023.

UNAPride
January 3rd, 2023, 05:19 PM
Instead of minimum attendance requirements, things like certain levels of full-time medical/mental health/nutrition staffing, certain requirements for locker rooms, weight rooms, etc. will be the focus.

KPSUL
January 3rd, 2023, 05:23 PM
Seeding half of a 24 team playoff field works for me.

Bisonator
January 4th, 2023, 09:26 AM
32 teams? **** that especially when you consider the Ivy's and HBCU's opt out. That leaves a 104 FCS teams so 25% of that is 26, 24 is close enough for me. Any more than that and it's watered down. Leave it at 24 and seed 16.

clenz
January 4th, 2023, 09:35 AM
So many people can't/refuse to read.

ElCid
January 4th, 2023, 10:11 AM
So many people can't/refuse to read.

No, I got it. But when topics come up like this, people weigh in. If it's being discussed by the NCAA, then changing a little bit of verbiage to include FCS could certainly happen. So people, including me, want to weigh in. They could easily change the arbitrary number in the proposal. Happens all the time since it is not written in stone.

Professor Chaos
January 4th, 2023, 10:16 AM
No, I got it. But when topics come up like this, people weigh in. If it's being discussed by the NCAA, then changing a little bit of verbiage to include FCS could certainly happen. So people, including me, want to weigh in. They could easily change the arbitrary number in the proposal. Happens all the time since it is not written in stone.
Especially considering that last offseason both the Big Sky and CAA commissioners were pushing for playoff expansion: https://herosports.com/fcs-football-playoffs-expansion-bzbz/

Of course the impetus behind that was the fact that more autobids were thought to have been added with the ASUN, Big South, OVC, Southland, and WAC all having separate autobids. At least in the near term those 5 leagues are sharing 3 autobids so hopefully that means talk of expanding the FCS playoffs stays on the back burner.

caribbeanhen
January 4th, 2023, 04:47 PM
Especially considering that last offseason both the Big Sky and CAA commissioners were pushing for playoff expansion: https://herosports.com/fcs-football-playoffs-expansion-bzbz/

Of course the impetus behind that was the fact that more autobids were thought to have been added with the ASUN, Big South, OVC, Southland, and WAC all having separate autobids. At least in the near term those 5 leagues are sharing 3 autobids so hopefully that means talk of expanding the FCS playoffs stays on the back burner.

Shhhh. E F Professor is speaking

Bill
January 4th, 2023, 07:46 PM
Shhhh. E F Professor is speaking
Like EF Hutton???xlolx

caribbeanhen
January 4th, 2023, 08:03 PM
Like EF Hutton???xlolx

exactly William

The Yo Show
January 5th, 2023, 08:40 PM

Is it this: "Accommodate access for 25% of active Division I members in good standing inteam sports sponsored by more than 200 schools."

- - - Updated - - -

To me, the word active and definition of "in good standing" will change the meaning of the rest of the sentence.

ysubigred
January 5th, 2023, 09:17 PM
32 teams? **** that especially when you consider the Ivy's and HBCU's opt out. That leaves a 104 FCS teams so 25% of that is 26, 24 is close enough for me. Any more than that and it's watered down. Leave it at 24 and seed 16.Back to 16 teams and **** the auto-bid..

xtwocentsx

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 5th, 2023, 10:35 PM
Back to 16 teams and **** the auto-bid..

xtwocentsx

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I have no issue with this. Most years the PL would have a team that makes it while every now and again there will be two that are worthy. This past season it would have been close. When the PL is down? no soup for you!!

FUBeAR
January 7th, 2023, 03:15 PM
Yep, yep, yep!

https://twitter.com/collegesportsj/status/1611610040674275330

Gil Dobie
January 7th, 2023, 03:27 PM
Yep, yep, yep!

One MVFC school that didn't make the playoffs could have beat either Dakota School, UNI.

Hammerhead
January 7th, 2023, 09:35 PM
The author of that article would probably complain if it was any two teams west of the Mississippi. Why would no not want to see the best teams in the championship? Should Duke and North Carolina always be paired in the east regional for men’s basketball?

Yep, yep, yep!

caribbeanhen
January 8th, 2023, 06:35 AM
Yep, yep, yep!

“and the NCAA and FCS more broadly hasn’t given anybody but degenerate gamblers a good reason to tune in.”

Well I don’t place bets so I guess I don’t have to worry about the degenerate comment 😂

despite being extremely butt hurt about the Dakotas he makes some great points, especially including the Ivy, SWAC and MEAC

FUBeAR
January 8th, 2023, 04:13 PM
So…SDSU beats NDSU 12x as bad on a neutral field as they did in Fargo.

How much does (10-0 FCS) #6 Seed Samford or (9-1 FCS) #7 Seed UIW beat (9-1 FCS) #3 Seed NDSU by on a neutral field?

#SubjectiveSeedsMatterTooMuch
#DefundTheCommitee