View Full Version : All-HBCU playoff leading to the Celebration Bowl?

bonarae
January 2nd, 2023, 07:47 AM
xchinscratchx Are they ready for the leadup to the Celebration Bowl all because of the FAMU snubbing over the years that they were a dominant regular season team, perhaps?

https://hbcugameday.com/2022/12/29/hbcu-football-is-ready-for-a-playoff-heres-why/

UNHWildcat18
January 2nd, 2023, 09:30 AM
the mighty FAMU with their 110th SOS, they want to do a 4 team so FAMU doesn't cry, go for it.

Professor Chaos
January 2nd, 2023, 09:58 AM
I'm sure they could get an increased payout from ESPN if they packaged together a media deal that included the Celebration Bowl and two HBCU semifinals. It's an extension of the same debate as was had with the MEAC when the Celebration Bowl came around - would you rather increase exposure/revenue or play at the highest competitive level possible? The HBCUs have prioritized the exposure/revenue side in the past so it would make sense for them to continue to do so.

Panther88
January 2nd, 2023, 02:15 PM
xchinscratchx Are they ready for the leadup to the Celebration Bowl all because of the FAMU snubbing over the years that they were a dominant regular season team, perhaps?

https://hbcugameday.com/2022/12/29/hbcu-football-is-ready-for-a-playoff-heres-why/

No bueno. The CB is gaining traction and attendance wise (49K) beats quite a few G5s and a few of the P5s in attendance and viewership. I think it's best to grow what we have and move forward, positively. We have a fanbase so we shouldn't do anything stupid to disengage it.

UNAPride
January 2nd, 2023, 02:23 PM
Why not? Fans and viewership are there. Would need to include D2 HBCU's, though.

taper
January 2nd, 2023, 02:43 PM
Tell me again the reason the HBCUs self-segregate from the rest of the FCS? With their attendance they'd win a lot of first round bids and host.

Professor Chaos
January 2nd, 2023, 03:09 PM
Tell me again the reason the HBCUs self-segregate from the rest of the FCS? With their attendance they'd win a lot of first round bids and host.
Because it's profitable for them... certainly more profitable than the FCS playoffs would be.

taper
January 2nd, 2023, 03:30 PM
Because it's profitable for them... certainly more profitable than the FCS playoffs would be.
Sure, but tell me again why the NCAA that most assume is all about money allows some schools to self-segregate and take their money. FCS playoff financials would absolutely benefit from SWAC participation.

Professor Chaos
January 2nd, 2023, 03:37 PM
Sure, but tell me again why the NCAA that most assume is all about money allows some schools to self-segregate and take their money. FCS playoff financials would absolutely benefit from SWAC participation.
Well, it would be a PR nightmare for the NCAA to try to force the HBCUs to forgo the SWAC Championship, traditional Thanksgiving Saturday Grambling/Southern game, and the Celebration Bowl to send their champs into the FCS playoffs.

Panther88
January 2nd, 2023, 04:42 PM

Legacy, history, tradition AND it would force some of the current dummy coaches to actually fulfill their position and recruit talented student-athletes to go head-up vs other talented fcs schools.

Look at the abysmal performance of HBCUs vs other non-HBCU fcs schools (OOC performance).

POD Knows
January 2nd, 2023, 04:51 PM
How you gonna force the HBCUs to participate in the playoffs when the Ivy’s don’t.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 2nd, 2023, 06:03 PM
If the bowls are allowed to pay players next year (some believe it's going to happen) then the HBCU setup could provide far more financial incentives for their players than the NCAA sanctioned playoffs allow.

The Celebration Bowl payout could be 15-20k a player?

Bisonoline
January 2nd, 2023, 07:19 PM

If the NCAA was all about the money they would have taken control of the bowl games a long time ago.

GAD
January 2nd, 2023, 07:53 PM
Southern vs. Grambling was being played on Thanksgiving Weekend before 1978, they were told to move the game and to just eat any money lost those losses would add up to over a million dollars a season

Bisonoline
January 2nd, 2023, 07:55 PM
Ncaa isnt going to mess this. They would just get their asses handed to them again.

Libertine
January 2nd, 2023, 11:27 PM

The NCAA has zero jurisdiction over any bowl game, including the FBS College Football Playoff and the Celebration Bowl. Those are all private contracts between the participating schools, the bowl committees, broadcasters and corporate sponsors.

Bisonoline
January 3rd, 2023, 12:00 AM
The NCAA has zero jurisdiction over any bowl game, including the FBS College Football Playoff and the Celebration Bowl. Those are all private contracts between the participating schools, the bowl committees, broadcasters and corporate sponsors.

The NCAA sanctions these games. Without that they dont happen.

Panther88
January 3rd, 2023, 12:51 PM
Not bad. Not bad at all.

Of 42 total bowls 2022-2023, The Celebration Bowl ranked 12th in attendance. Unsure of the viewership #s vs the other bowls.

It would be asinine to disengage the growing fanbase in the ATL.

OhioHen
January 3rd, 2023, 01:56 PM
Why not? Fans and viewership are there. Would need to include D2 HBCU's, though.
The strong D2 HBCUs participate in the playoffs.

OhioHen
January 3rd, 2023, 02:00 PM
Not bad. Not bad at all.

Of 42 total bowls 2022-2023, The Celebration Bowl ranked 12th in attendance. Unsure of the viewership #s vs the other bowls.

It would be asinine to disengage the growing fanbase in the ATL.
There were very likely more eyeballs on the Celebration Bowl than most of the pre-Christmas bowls and some of those last week. I watched more of the Celebration Bowl than I did many of the FBS games. It was competitive and many of the others were not.

NY Crusader 2010
January 3rd, 2023, 06:10 PM
The strong D2 HBCUs participate in the playoffs.

Give them the opportunity to participate in a Celebration Bowl "playoff" and they'll do that instead. Pretty sure the only nationally televised D2 NCAA game is the national championship final.

dbackjon
January 3rd, 2023, 06:36 PM
Replying to PODKNOWS, since it looks like Ursus broke the Quote feature.

I would be fine with giving the Ivy League a choice - either participate in ALL championships, or none of them.

POD Knows
January 3rd, 2023, 06:59 PM

I would be fine with giving the Ivy League a choice - either participate in ALL championships, or none of them.I second that, same thing with the HBCU's

Bisonoline
January 3rd, 2023, 07:02 PM
Give them the opportunity to participate in a Celebration Bowl "playoff" and they'll do that instead. Pretty sure the only nationally televised D2 NCAA game is the national championship final.

Im pretty sure there were D2, D3, NAIA and Juco games televised.

GAD
January 3rd, 2023, 08:14 PM

I would be fine with giving the Ivy League a choice - either participate in ALL championships, or none of them.
And the entire power 5 would tell the NCAA to "Shove it!"

POD Knows
January 3rd, 2023, 09:33 PM
And the entire power 5 would tell the NCAA to "Shove it!"
👍

caribbeanhen
January 4th, 2023, 06:52 AM

I like it

GAD
January 4th, 2023, 08:58 AM
The NCAA doesn't allow post season contest between teams from different division.