PDA

View Full Version : Life in the CAA

ChickenMan
November 3rd, 2007, 04:02 PM
means celler dwellers.. this years it's URI (1-7) & N'eastern (1-7).. who often jump up and beat a playoff caliber team. To me THAT is what separates the CAA from the other top leagues in the FCS. You very rarely see those kind of upsets in other leagues.. but it happens all to often in the CAA.

Uncle Buck
November 3rd, 2007, 04:03 PM
Man, you said it.

AZGrizFan
November 3rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
means celler dwellers.. this years it's URI (1-7) & N'eastern (1-7).. who often jump up and beat a playoff caliber team. To me THAT is what separates the CAA from the other top leagues in the FCS. You very rarely see those kind of upsets in other leagues.. but it happens all to often in the CAA.

Funny. It's been the biggest criticism of NAU, that they lost to Sac State. IT's constantly stated as proof that the BSC is weak....yet when it happens in the CAA, it's because there's such a stupendous level of competition? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Grizalltheway
November 3rd, 2007, 10:24 PM
Nice spin job, chickenman. xnonono2x

Reed Rothchild
November 3rd, 2007, 10:25 PM
Upsets happen in every conference every year. In 2001, a last place Illinois State team beat UNI handedly in Normal.

ChickenMan
November 3rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
Funny. It's been the biggest criticism of NAU, that they lost to Sac State. IT's constantly stated as proof that the BSC is weak....yet when it happens in the CAA, it's because there's such a stupendous level of competition? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

I don't think NAU was ranked in the Top 5 (UMass #3) or Top 10 (UNH #8) when they lost to Sac St... ;)

AZGrizFan
November 3rd, 2007, 10:27 PM
I don't think NAU was ranked in the Top 5 (UMass #3) or Top 10 (UNH #8) when they lost to Sac St... ;)

ANd yet it's constantly stated as the reason why they're not playoff worthy.... xcoolx

ChickenMan
November 3rd, 2007, 10:28 PM
Nice spin job, chickenman. xnonono2x

and when was the last time the Griz lost to a celler dweller in the Big Sky.. ???

AZGrizFan
November 3rd, 2007, 10:29 PM
and when was the last time the Griz lost to a celler dweller in the Big Sky.. ???

In reality, we SHOULD have lost to Sac State THIS year. Got lucky as hell.

ChickenMan
November 3rd, 2007, 10:30 PM
ANd yet it's constantly stated as the reason why they're not playoff worthy.... xcoolx

that AND the FACT that the Big Sky.. minus the Griz.. has performed very poorly in the playoffs over the past ten years..

:p

skinny_uncle
November 3rd, 2007, 10:37 PM
Upsets happen in every conference every year. In 2001, a last place Illinois State team beat UNI handedly in Normal.
They pretty much knocked Yougstown out of the playoffs this year, too.

SeattleGriz
November 3rd, 2007, 10:47 PM

I'm gonna pull a MaineJeff on this one...xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

ChickenMan
November 3rd, 2007, 10:50 PM
I'm gonna pull a MaineJeff on this one...xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

don't drink too much.. it'll keep you up all night... :p

AZGrizFan
November 4th, 2007, 12:21 AM
that AND the FACT that the Big Sky.. minus the Griz.. has performed very poorly in the playoffs over the past ten years..

:p

2006 1-1 (MSU trip through the SoCon)
2005 0-1 (3 pt road loss to UNI by EWU)
2004 1-1 (road win - EWU)
2003 1-1 (road win - NAU)

So, in three of the past 4 years, our 2nd team got out of the first round, and it's been a DIFFERENT team each of those three years. I'd say there's been definite improvement. As well as depth. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

ucdtim17
November 4th, 2007, 12:41 AM

It sounds like an SEC fan's circular logic. xrolleyesx

We are not good and we beat Northeastern bad. They are really bad and there's no excuse for UNH losing to them

URMite
November 4th, 2007, 12:42 AM
2006 1-1 (MSU trip through the SoCon)
2005 0-1 (3 pt road loss to UNI by EWU)
2004 1-1 (road win - EWU)
2003 1-1 (road win - NAU)

So, in three of the past 4 years, our 2nd team got out of the first round, and it's been a DIFFERENT team each of those three years. I'd say there's been definite improvement. As well as depth. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I think my research on another thread showed that over the last 7 years the Gateway, SoCon, & CAA each had 3 or more teams with 2 1st rd wins. The BSC only had Montana. I was of the opinion that data showed you as the only consistently strong BSC team. Your example shows that fact may be in the process of changing. Which would be fine by me:D , in case that matters. I know you were responding to someone else.

URMite
November 4th, 2007, 12:49 AM

We are not good and we beat Northeastern bad. They are really bad and there's no excuse for UNH losing to them

I'm at a bit of a loss to explain it as well. Although this is the 3rd game in a row that they have played well, we also beat them bad in early september (setting a total offense record). I assume the weather wasn't quite as bad as the UMass game? I think a lot of people chalked up your game to jet lag.

AZGrizFan
November 4th, 2007, 01:03 AM
I think my research on another thread showed that over the last 7 years the Gateway, SoCon, & CAA each had 3 or more teams with 2 1st rd wins. The BSC only had Montana. I was of the opinion that data showed you as the only consistently strong BSC team. Your example shows that fact may be in the process of changing. Which would be fine by me:D , in case that matters. I know you were responding to someone else.

Well, it's hard to have 3 first round wins when we can't get THREE teams in! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Last year being the perfect example....if PSU hadn't shot themselves in the foot scheduling so damned many FBS games, they'd have WAXED someone in the playoffs. Not sayin' they were gonna win it all, but they were a DANGEROUS team last year, but never got to show their wares because of a ****ty scheduling job....

McNeese_beat
November 4th, 2007, 01:19 AM

If Montana State loses to Northern Colorado, it's confirmation that the Big Sky is a bad league...if UMass loses to Rhode island it's confirmation that the Colonial is a good league...

ah, I get it...
xlolx xlolx xlolx xeyebrowx

FCS Go!
November 4th, 2007, 01:32 AM
If Montana State loses to Northern Colorado, it's confirmation that the Big Sky is a bad league...if UMass lose to road island it's confirmation that the Colonial is a good league...

ah, I get it...

Me too! (and well said) xrotatehx

MR. CHICKEN
November 4th, 2007, 07:31 AM
If Montana State loses to Northern Colorado, it's confirmation that the Big Sky is a bad league...if UMass loses to Rhode island it's confirmation that the Colonial is a good league...

ah, I get it...

SOME TEAMS APPARENTLY... MATCH UP GOOD....AGIN' EACH OTHERAH.......LAST YEAR......PLAY-OFF BOUND MONTANA STATE.......EKED ONE OUT....OVERAH.....1-10 NORFFERN COLORADO....IN BOZEMAN...13-10......AN' DIS YEAR....ON DUH ROAD...THUD!...xoopsx.....AWK!

ChickenMan
November 4th, 2007, 07:44 AM

ah, I get it...

Maybe you can get this......

playoff wins over the last ten years:

Big Sky -

Montana - 10

EWU - 3

NAU - 1

MSU - 1

total - 15

CAA -

Delaware - 9

UMass -8

JMU - 4

Villanova - 3

UNH - 2

Maine - 2

W&M - 2

Hofstra - 2

Richmond - 2

total - 34

and here's a measure of all FCS leagues as to the % of each league's teams that have made the playoffs over the past 10 seasons.

Big Sky - .444 - one school winning a title

SoCon - .500 - two winning a title

Southland - .625 - no titles

Gateway - .750 - two winning a title

A10/CAA - .833 - three winning a title

;) :D :p

89Hen
November 4th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Last year being the perfect example....if PSU hadn't shot themselves in the foot scheduling so damned many FBS games, they'd have WAXED someone in the playoffs. Not sayin' they were gonna win it all, but they were a DANGEROUS team last year, but never got to show their wares because of a ****ty scheduling job....
xlolx xrotatehx I'm glad you can say that with such certainty. You're basing that on what... a win over New Mexico or the blowout losses to Cal or Oregon, or perhaps it was the convincing wins over SacSt and Weber. Has PSU ever won a playoff game?

Henwatcher
November 4th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Maybe you can gt this......

Big Sky -

Montana - 10

EWU - 3

NAU - 1

MSU - 1

total - 15

CAA -

Delaware - 9

UMass -8

JMU - 4

Villanova - 3

UNH - 2

Maine - 2

W&M - 2

Hofstra - 2

Richmond - 2

total - 34

and here's a measure of all FCS leagues as to the % of each league's teams that have made the playoffs over the past 10 seasons.

You said it, CM. End of that little discussion.

McNeese_beat
November 4th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Maybe you can get this......

Big Sky -

Montana - 10

EWU - 3

NAU - 1

MSU - 1

total - 15

CAA -

Delaware - 9

UMass -8

JMU - 4

Villanova - 3

UNH - 2

Maine - 2

W&M - 2

Hofstra - 2

Richmond - 2

total - 34

Regionalization helps your league's post-season record immensely.

It helps that your league has had 13 games against the Patriot and MEAC in that 10-year stretch while the BSC has had no games against them. I think it's clear that the MEAC, Patriot and OVC (the big sky does have one game vs. the OVC) are the 3 weakest (in terms of year-in, year-out) FCS auto-bid leagues and your league often plays two first-round games against these teams while the BSC is matched up with Southland and Gateway teams.

In those 10 years, the Big Sky is 7-5 against the SLC and 4-5 against the Gateway. The Colonial is 3-3 against the SLC and 3-4 against the Gateway (you can double check those numbers...it's from a cursory glance and not thorough research). So your league has a losing overall record against the two conferences the BSC usually opens the playoffs against while you are adding up your annual playoff wins against the Patriot and MEAC.

That's why they should seed. The BSC has had one playoff game in the last 10 against the three weakest playoff leagues. The Colonial has had 13 (7-3 vs. Patriot, 3-0 vs. MEAC).

This year is a good example. If EWU wins out and gets in, it'll earn a trip to Lake Charles to play what will probably be an 11-0 McNeese that's either a No. 2 or No. 3 national seed. The second team in the Colonial will probably be UMass and it'll probably host Fordham (with Delaware playing Delaware State).

Who has the better draw in that scenario? Who is better set up to make a deep playoff run?

The Colonial is in a great situation. You have your playoff road paved quite nicely in your favor.

UNHWildCats
November 4th, 2007, 11:46 AM
UNH has wins at Georgia Southern (2004), vs Colgate (2005) and at Hampton (2006) So 15

UNHWildCats
November 4th, 2007, 11:46 AM
UNH has wins at Georgia Southern (2004), vs Colgate (2005) and at Hampton (2006) So it's CAA 35, Big Sky 15

ChickenMan
November 4th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Regionalization helps your league's post-season record immensely.

It helps that your league has had 13 games against the Patriot and MEAC in that 10-year stretch while the BSC has had no games against them. I think it's clear that the MEAC, Patriot and OVC (the big sky does have one game vs. the OVC) are the 3 weakest (in terms of year-in, year-out) FCS auto-bid leagues and your league often plays two first-round games against these teams while the BSC is matched up with Southland and Gateway teams.

In those 10 years, the Big Sky is 7-5 against the SLC and 4-5 against the Gateway. The Colonial is 3-3 against the SLC and 3-4 against the Gateway (you can double check those numbers...it's from a cursory glance and not thorough research). So your league has a losing overall record against the two conferences the BSC usually opens the playoffs against while you are adding up your annual playoff wins against the Patriot and MEAC.

That's why they should seed. The BSC has had one playoff game in the last 10 against the three weakest playoff leagues. The Colonial has had 13 (7-3 vs. Patriot, 3-0 vs. MEAC).

This year is a good example. If EWU wins out and gets in, it'll earn a trip to Lake Charles to play what will probably be an 11-0 McNeese that's either a No. 2 or No. 3 national seed. The second team in the Colonial will probably be UMass and it'll probably host Fordham (with Delaware playing Delaware State).

Who has the better draw in that scenario? Who is better set up to make a deep playoff run?

The Colonial is in a great situation. You have your playoff road paved quite nicely in your favor.

You dramatically underestimate the Patriot League's playoff teams.. Colgate went to the finals in '04.. Lehigh destroyed one of the Gateway's best in '00 and Lafayette gave ASU a very tough game in '05.

But even so.. how does your Patriot/MEAC bashing account for ALL those CAA wins..15 in the last 10 years.. that came after the 1st round??? ;)

ps.. the CAA also has had the most games.. 14 vs the SoCon (arquably the top playoff performer over the last 10 years).. and the series is split 7-7.

AZGrizFan
November 4th, 2007, 12:06 PM

ah, I get it...

Exactly. xlolx xlolx xlolx

McNeese_beat
November 4th, 2007, 02:09 PM
You dramatically underestimate the Patriot League's playoff teams.. Colgate went to the finals in '04.. Lehigh destroyed one of the Gateway's best in '00 and Lafayette gave ASU a very tough game in '05.

But even so.. how does your Patriot/MEAC bashing account for ALL those CAA wins..15 in the last 10 years.. that came after the 1st round??? ;)

ps.. the CAA also has had the most games.. 14 vs the SoCon (arquably the top playoff performer over the last 10 years).. and the series is split 7-7.

Well, two other factors are at work.
First are regional brackets:
In the 10-year stretch, I counted four games after the first round that were Colonial (or A-10, as it were) vs. Patriot and 3 others that were Colonial vs. Colonial after the Colonial teams took care of Patriot and/or MEAC teams in the first round.

I understand that the Patriot can and does field competitive teams but the numbers don't lie. Their post-season record is far inferior to those of the "big five" (CAA, Southern, Gateway, SLC and BSC) leagues.

For example, Since 1997, the Patriot is 7-13 in playoff games and has 1 championship game appearance and 1 semifinal appearance. The SLC, which is often the Big Sky's first round competition, is 14-19 in playoff games in that same stretch, with two championship game appearances and five semifinal appearances from 4 schools (and 8 final four trips in the last 12 years with appearances from 6 schools). So the SLC is a better, and, yes, deeper league than the Patriot.

With regionalization, you are likely to keep competing with the same regional leagues in early rounds. For example, in 2002, Montana State opened at McNeese while Montana opened with Northwestern and in the second round the winners (McNeese and Montana) squared off. In that same year, Fordham was matched up with Northeastern in the first round and then played Villanova in the second.

So clearly, the Big Sky is playing more quality competition early in playoff rounds (the first two rounds...after that it nationalizes).

The other factor is you are a larger league. If the Big Sky got 33 percent of its teams in the playoffs, that's 3 teams, which is only 25 percent of your roster.

Syntax Error
November 4th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Regionalization helps your league's post-season record immensely...
...The other factor is you are a larger league...I think both points are valid. xtwocentsx

URMite
November 4th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Well, it's hard to have 3 first round wins when we can't get THREE teams in! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I think you missed my point, I was saying the only program in the BSC that had won in the 1st rd, 2 or more times, in the last 7 yrs was Montana. During those 7 years at least 3 programs in the Gateway, SoCon, & CAA won their 1st rd game twice or more. I simply thought that if a program won a 1st rd game with 2 completely different teams in succession, they were having continued success.

On the other hand, I didn't look at location or opponent to see how much of a factor that was.

ChickenMan
November 4th, 2007, 04:23 PM
So clearly, the Big Sky is playing more quality competition early in playoff rounds (the first two rounds...after that it nationalizes).

Over the past 10 year.. after the first two rounds.. other than Montana.. four times and EWU.. once back in '97.. there haven't been ANY Big Sky teams left... but there have been mulitiple CAA schools.. UD and UMass mulitple times..

UMass - '98, '06
Villanova - '02
UD - '97, '00, '03
W&M - '04
JMU - '05

GeeWiz
November 4th, 2007, 04:29 PM

xconfusedx

This is coming from a fan whose team lost their home opener to a Div. II team in their brand new stadium mocking an opponent they had success against?

Give me a break. We'll see how good UC Davis is next year when they fly across the country to take on NU in Boston next year.

Until then beating Portland State is nothing to brag about.